Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2139836 times)

FStop7

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #3900 on: November 21, 2017, 07:10:39 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

New logo for verified members of industry. I laughed.

verritfied

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #3901 on: November 21, 2017, 07:19:00 PM »
It's more or less been a month since the Gaffening.
It's 6:30PM EST and, if my count is correct, Neogaf only has 3 new threads created today. 
A thread about an Andy Serkis interview
A thread about Jeremy Piven's polygraph, posted half a after it was on Reset

And a thread that looks like a call for help with nobody listening.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1458283

:mjcry
And the "discussion" on gaming side is a total mess. SAD!

GAF has really has become GameFAQs but with a fraction of the traffic.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #3902 on: November 21, 2017, 07:29:05 PM »
Nice try but the VICE article demolished your attempt at gaslighting us:
PewDiePie
57,953,108 subscribers
The most famous instance of far-right views being disseminated on YouTube is PewDiePie – the site's biggest star, commanding an audience of literally millions of impressionable teenage boys, who for some reason want to watch him play computer games. He was dropped by Disney after it emerged that his videos included antisemitic jokes and Nazi imagery.

What PewDiePie does is very different from the likes of PJW, but this ironic racism can offer us a good example of what happens when these views, prominent in YouTube's ecosystem as they are, become normalised. Such videos are – at least anecdotally – having a measurable effect on how these kids talk about Jews, or the Nazis.

Here's my hypothesis: Twitter is the natural home of the left because Twitter – participatory; open; capable of presenting multiple viewpoints to the reader simultaneously – is well-suited to the expression of left-wing views, which are (to draw however loose a family resemblance between often disparate warring factions) typically somehow egalitarian.

Contemporary right-wing politics, by contrast, is driven largely by the unexamined prejudices and anxieties of (primarily) white men. Any white man who wants to hold on to their prejudices and anxieties is going to have a tough time of it on Twitter – but they're going to have a grand old time standing in front of their wall, alone, ranting.

So the left have the tweet, and the right have the solo rant to camera. This would, in a way, be fine – except that it turns out the solo rant to camera is a vastly better way of converting people than the tweet is.

:thinking

an audience of literally millions of impressionable teenage boys

Did they just assume the gender of 57,953,108 people? And imply that only boys have an interest in vidya? WOW

Twitter is the natural home of the left

So Trump isn't a fascist nazi after all?

Contemporary right-wing politics, by contrast, is driven largely by the unexamined prejudices and anxieties of (primarily) white men. Any white man who wants to hold on to their prejudices and anxieties is going to have a tough time of it on Twitter – but they're going to have a grand old time standing in front of their wall, alone, ranting.

Lonely white men ranting hey?

https://infinitelyfullofhope.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/gala-pie.jpg

I literally CANNOT. EVEN. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised to read something like from a media corp co-founded by alt-righter extraordinaire McInnes,  employing deplorable nazis such as Tim Pool, and in more recent news being a cesspool of misogyny, sexism and sexual harassment.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3903 on: November 21, 2017, 07:31:22 PM »
I'm still amazed at the shock and surprise GAFera manage to collectively muster at every new name potentially outed. Every large organisation (or any collective of 2 people and more :doge) ought to have, on statistical probability alone, its share of people plagued with strong vices. It will most probably have a culture of keeping problems under a lid out of self preservation. It could be argued that the entire history of mankind is literally this.

I also get the "just don't be a terrible human being then" that they like to throw around a lot but it strikes me as pretty shallow, too.
ὕβρις

Risible

« Reply #3904 on: November 21, 2017, 07:41:08 PM »
I'm still amazed at the shock and surprise GAFera manage to collectively muster at every new name potentially outed. Every large organisation (or any collective of 2 people and more :doge) ought to have, on statistical probability alone, its share of people plagued with strong vices. It will most probably have a culture of keeping problems under a lid out of self preservation. It could be argued that the entire history of mankind is literally this.

I also get the "just don't be a terrible human being then" that they like to throw around a lot but it strikes me as pretty shallow, too.

So given those stats, who are the Bore's headline-waiting-to-happen? 

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3905 on: November 21, 2017, 07:42:25 PM »
Who amongst you has ever been visibly drenched in urine?

:success

Yeah, your mom
🍆🍆

Jansen

« Reply #3906 on: November 21, 2017, 07:45:29 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

New logo for verified members of industry. I laughed.

is this real?

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

FStop7

« Reply #3908 on: November 21, 2017, 07:53:12 PM »
Watching the corp shills on ERA wild out because of loot boxes reaching their inevitable conclusion (government restrictions) is hilarious.

"bu bu bu IT'S NOT GAMBLING"  :brazilcry

Bore Expert

« Reply #3909 on: November 21, 2017, 07:56:58 PM »
Who amongst you has ever been visibly drenched in urine?

:success

Yeah, your mom

Laugh all ya want. When I’m a Verafied member of reseter you will rue the day you slandered me.

:dice

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #3910 on: November 21, 2017, 08:05:26 PM »
am cry

Bore Expert

« Reply #3911 on: November 21, 2017, 08:14:30 PM »
(Image removed from quote.) am cry

I think the way to get a “bish checked” tag was you had to pm bish a picture of yourself wearing a Sony hat.

Insiders straight out of the bargain bin  :expert

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #3912 on: November 21, 2017, 08:15:52 PM »
I'm not a punitive person by nature and I'm generally fairly  forgiving so I don't really have the stomach for all the outrage. I don't think it's unreasonable to both think that repeat sexual harrassment offenses should result in unemployment and also that you don't have to stop watching Pixar movies or make a big stink about it. Plus we've already known for years that psychopaths are attracted to high power positions.
每天生气

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3913 on: November 21, 2017, 08:36:01 PM »
I'm not a punitive person by nature and I'm generally fairly  forgiving so I don't really have the stomach for all the outrage. I don't think it's unreasonable to both think that repeat sexual harrassment offenses should result in unemployment and also that you don't have to stop watching Pixar movies or make a big stink about it. Plus we've already known for years that psychopaths are attracted to high power positions.

Same here.  I mean you don't forgive unless the person admits fault and seems genuinely repentant.  And you don't forgive and forget.  But there should be avenues to forgiveness for most people in most cases.  And for me personally I don't have the time or compulsion to keep some massive mental shitlist that lasts in perpetuity.

As far as psychopaths being attracted to high power positions...with the amount of stuff coming out I'm starting to wonder if being a star content creator of any kind means you've got a unique/weird mind and outlook that tends toward behavior that's going to result in closet skeletons.  Funny, engaging people have a different perspective on the world.  I'd hardly say that all the best and brightest are secretly sex perverts but hell at this rate I wonder if there's a correlation.  On the other side of things it's pretty well known that squeaky clean prudes are absolutely no fun and create nothing of value.
Uncle

Jansen

shosta

« Reply #3915 on: November 21, 2017, 08:38:55 PM »
I think it's also worth noting that the fact that this is sexual and chauvinistic in nature makes it especially sensitive for people. I doubt people would have the same visceral reaction if it's, say, a past assault conviction, of which there are plenty of in Hollywood, and sports especially.
每天生气

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #3916 on: November 21, 2017, 08:49:02 PM »
Sure, in jobs they're good at. But most creative fields? Eh, no.

For example this recent trend of female comics: THEY'RE NOT FUNNY.

Let me heal your sexism:

Jansen

« Reply #3917 on: November 21, 2017, 08:49:38 PM »

counterhit

« Reply #3918 on: November 21, 2017, 08:50:20 PM »
The Jordan Peterson stuff linked earlier in the thread is gave me a headache, so I feel the need to rant a little bit. It's an incredible video. The worst part is the angle of "these students haven't had the training in critical thinking yet to deal with this material". How can you say that (and echo it in defense of the video) and not think even for a second you sound like you are really talking about indoctrination? The overall tone is that Peterson's arguments only exist to be taken apart and couldn't possibly be agreed with at any point (since he's literally Hitler). We must train students with "critical skills" so that never happens!

Looking at articles about the matter, which are trying their best to make it a L for Peterson, you basically get this pattern where they make very weak claims about Peterson dressed up in basic attacks on his intellect and back them up with previous articles which was also based on very weak claims. And it just repeats on and on. I have mixed feelings on the guy, especially when he's stooping to make dumb tweets or going on garbage right-wing youtube shows (and his dumbass fanbase), but it's not hard to see how bullshit this is.

etiolate

« Reply #3919 on: November 21, 2017, 08:57:20 PM »
Guilt by Association is a third of the playbook.  The other two are misrepresentation and volume. If you lie loud enough and have enough people repeat it then who is going to spend the time to fact check during their workday?

They also don't teach critical thinking anymore. At least, most colleges really don't. They teach critical theory instead which is an indoctrination tool. College students are not given the mental vaccine to jargony nonsense.  So I don't know why he even tries to make that point, because he knows full well that the kids are never going to get the tools he references. Looking at that Prof's classes and his argument, he doesn't seem to have critical thinking either, but it's more likely he doesn't believe such a thing truly exists.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:07:24 PM by etiolate »

Himu

« Reply #3920 on: November 21, 2017, 09:06:16 PM »
Every time I read "problematic" now my head starts to bop and the lyrics of the entire album come out of my brain like a sieve and I have to listen to it.

:rejoice

PROBLEMATIC, ILLMATIC

Sometimes I sit back with a Buddha sack
Mind's in another world, thinkin'
"How can we exist through the facts?"
Written in school text books, bibles, et cetera
Fuck a school lecture, the lies get me vexed-er
So I be ghost from my projects
I take my pen and pad for the weekend
Hittin' L's while I'm sleepin'
A two-day stay, you may say I need the time alone
To relax my dome, no phone, left the 9 at home

He inhaled so deep, shut his eyes like he was sleep
Started coughin', one eye peeked to watch me speak
I sat back like The Mack, my army suit was black
We was chillin' on these benches
Where he pumped his loose cracks
I took the L when he passed it, this little bastard
Keeps me blasted and starts talkin' mad shit
I had to school him, told him don't let niccas fool him
‘Cause when the pistol blows
The one that's murdered be the cool one
Tough luck when niccas are struck, families fucked up
Coulda caught your man, but didn't look when you bucked up
Mistakes happen, so take heed, never bust up
At the crowd, catch him solo, make the right man bleed
Shorty's laugh was cold-blooded as he spoke so foul
Only twelve, tryin' to tell me that he liked my style
Then I rose, wipin' the blunt's ash from my clothes
Then froze, only to blow the herb smoke through my nose

:rejoice Problematic :rejoice
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #3921 on: November 21, 2017, 09:10:14 PM »

Versatile, my style switches, like a taco
But not bisexual; I'm an intellectual

True, Nas was very problematic.  :smug

Himu

« Reply #3922 on: November 21, 2017, 09:12:49 PM »

Versatile, my style switches, like a taco
But not bisexual; I'm an intellectual

True, Nas was very problematic.  :smug

:rejoice

Like a taco :rejoice
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #3923 on: November 21, 2017, 09:14:05 PM »
Hopefully corporate America and industires like finance see a similar falling out, although I kind of doubt it.  It's the fame of the individuals that is attracting these news stories.
The fame is what attracts the news stories but I'm positive that the workplace culture is going to change everywhere in America.
每天生气

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #3924 on: November 21, 2017, 09:18:24 PM »
There’s funny female comedians.

Just not very many.

Novid

« Reply #3925 on: November 21, 2017, 09:18:47 PM »
Hopefully corporate America and industires like finance see a similar falling out, although I kind of doubt it.  It's the fame of the individuals that is attracting these news stories.
The fame is what attracts the news stories but I'm positive that the workplace culture is going to change everywhere in America.
the end of co-ed work spaces for one.

shosta

« Reply #3926 on: November 21, 2017, 09:31:53 PM »
There’s funny female comedians.

Just not very many.
I mean, that's just your opinion. More than half of my favorite comedians are women, probably. Paula Poundstone, Iliza Shlesinger, Tig Notaro, Kaitlin Olson, Wanda Sykes (has anyone here seen that black people sketch on the new season of Curb?), Whoopi Goldberg. Hell, when I was a kid my favorite tv personality ever was definitely Chelsea Handler. Although I wouldn't recommend letting your kids watch her, probably not good for development.
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #3927 on: November 21, 2017, 09:34:57 PM »
 :larry

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3928 on: November 21, 2017, 09:36:46 PM »

So given those stats, who are the Bore's headline-waiting-to-happen? 
Our open and honest lovable deviants don't pretend they aren't sub-human garbage.

agrajag

« Reply #3929 on: November 21, 2017, 09:40:22 PM »
Hey, I may be garbage and I may be sub-human, but.. wait, what was the third thing you said?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I used this one already, but I feel this joke gets good mileage
[close]

shosta

« Reply #3930 on: November 21, 2017, 09:40:49 PM »
oh, I just remembered that benjipwns was sexually assaulted by Chelsea Handler :(
:phil
[close]
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #3931 on: November 21, 2017, 09:41:19 PM »
Hell, when I was a kid my favorite tv personality ever was definitely Chelsea Handler. Although I wouldn't recommend letting your kids watch her, probably not good for development.

Her standup is terrible though.  She has a good persoanlity for funny interviews.
Way to make this feel like an unsafe space, brehs. #metoo

agrajag

« Reply #3932 on: November 21, 2017, 09:41:55 PM »
Wat

etiolate

« Reply #3933 on: November 21, 2017, 09:42:01 PM »
Joan Rivers and Rosanne Barr. Not sure who else I genuinely like.

shosta

每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #3935 on: November 21, 2017, 09:43:19 PM »
I don't like female comedians. But then again, I don't like male comedians either. Egalitarianism  :rejoice

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3936 on: November 21, 2017, 09:50:18 PM »
I don't like female comedians. But then again, I don't like male comedians either. Egalitarianism  :rejoice
I like like 3 comedians total and one (Bill Hicks) is super dead

agrajag

« Reply #3937 on: November 21, 2017, 09:51:40 PM »
I don't know why, but it's very hard for me to get a laugh from contrived comedy.

shosta

« Reply #3938 on: November 21, 2017, 09:54:47 PM »
is that why you joined the hate machine
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #3939 on: November 21, 2017, 09:56:25 PM »
Some of the shit I read here is funnier than most stand up acts tbh

shosta

« Reply #3940 on: November 21, 2017, 10:00:13 PM »
Wow I just realized how topical this Chelsea Handler interview is
"Are you doing specific butt exercises?"
"Yeah I do a lot of butt stuff. My trainer, he's good with butts. His name is Ben Bruno, I also sleep with him sometimes."
"It's a casual thing."
"It's a very casual thing. The training, he's my professional trainer, but anybody I, I sleep with a lot of people that I employ. So like my tennis instructor, I sometimes I sleep with him, or my trainer, or my landscaper, anybody I'm paying or renting, I want to also service me."
"Someone's there to read the gas meter, and it's like yeah, why not."
"Why not, you know what I mean, why not have a good time And yeah, use up... what I can use up."
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #3941 on: November 21, 2017, 10:01:29 PM »
What a cumshake fuck

counterhit

« Reply #3942 on: November 21, 2017, 10:06:07 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/university-ta-%E2%80%98censured%E2%80%99-after-playing-a-clip-from-a-debate-about-transgender-pronouns.7461/page-4#post-1255100

Is this user banned or not?

They almost got away with saying "Fuck off" several times. Coincidentally, they are the ones agree with the mods who posted in the thread. I get the feeling they waited until they could pair off the ban with someone who's guilty of...

User has been banned for 24h for arguing in bad faith.

The second guy was a bit of idiot too tbh
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #3943 on: November 21, 2017, 10:17:20 PM »
I liked this bit of Amy Schumer's back in the day:

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3944 on: November 21, 2017, 10:22:42 PM »
I think this is the first time I've ever seen what Steven Crowder looks like, thanks for doxing my eyes Benji  :noooo

Amy Schumer  :donot :donot :nope

agrajag

« Reply #3945 on: November 21, 2017, 10:26:16 PM »
I liked this bit of Amy Schumer's back in the day

Who'd she lift it from?

benjipwns

« Reply #3946 on: November 21, 2017, 10:39:34 PM »
Funny enough, Lou Dobbs. True story. I wouldn't make things up like that.

benjipwns

« Reply #3947 on: November 21, 2017, 11:07:22 PM »
One thing I think skews the female comedian thing is how many of them get on a show or their own show, and they're often really bad on those because those are bad in general.

Like Ellen hasn't done stand up this century probably, who knows the last time she did a standup show at all. How many people even remember her as a sitcom actor and not a talk show host/twitter star? Especially younger people who didn't live through her coming out's undermining of our nation's values.

I feel like Margaret Cho is another example of one known for everything else she does/has done. To pick a low bar example, Whitney Cumming's stand up was infinitely funnier than her sitcom was or 2 Broke Girls is. Sarah Silverman has been in so much, for so long, she's probably not even thought of as a stand-up comedian.

Even using men, like I remember when people were straight up shocked at Bob Saget and Paul Reiser's stand up acts, which never changed for years, versus their TV image that got them so popular. Drew Carey is probably like a male Marine version of Ellen at this point. Compare Bill Cosby's image arc as a stand-up to sitcom star to KIDS SAY THE DARNEDEST THING HOST to everyone does impressions where he just says random things and JELLO to sexual predator.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #3948 on: November 21, 2017, 11:12:42 PM »
Joan Rivers and Rosanne Barr. Not sure who else I genuinely like.

Not a stand-up comic, but I think Julia Louis-Dreyfus is one of the funniest people on earth.
serge

benjipwns

« Reply #3949 on: November 21, 2017, 11:14:14 PM »
Not that stand-up is the only barometer of "comedian" just that it's an easy distinction from "actors" only/primarily. Someone like Tina Fey can get around that by her role as a writer being such a prominent part of her public persona for years, and stuff like SNL helps, or Larry David. But for others, just because they star in a bunch of comedies/sitcoms doesn't necessarily make them a comedian imo.

Not a stand-up comic, but I think Julia Louis-Dreyfus is one of the funniest people on earth.
Thanks, I was struggling to think of someone who was really and regularly funny but maybe best described as an actor "first" and here you were while I was composing.

benjipwns

« Reply #3950 on: November 21, 2017, 11:48:10 PM »
Looking at old GAF threads I still have the mindset of days past when you'd go "wow at all the people who have since been banned...I totally forgot about that guy he was great" and so on, completely forgetting that whole part a month ago when half the active user base had a collective temper tantrum and demanded bans.

agrajag

« Reply #3951 on: November 21, 2017, 11:51:34 PM »
Elaine was the third funniest character on Seinfeld behind George and Kramer. Seinfeld was the least funny, but the glue that kept it all together.

FStop7

« Reply #3952 on: November 21, 2017, 11:51:44 PM »
Seeing GAF and now EA flame out weeks apart has been a real treat.

Stand up comedy sucks.  Sketch comedy is where it’s at.

agrajag

« Reply #3953 on: November 21, 2017, 11:52:51 PM »
Not that stand-up is the only barometer of "comedian" just that it's an easy distinction from "actors" only/primarily. Someone like Tina Fey can get around that by her role as a writer being such a prominent part of her public persona for years, and stuff like SNL helps, or Larry David. But for others, just because they star in a bunch of comedies/sitcoms doesn't necessarily make them a comedian imo.

Like Owen Wilson? I believe the name for that is comedic actor, or something?

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #3954 on: November 21, 2017, 11:53:12 PM »

That video you posted.. he says their are lots of funny female comedians. 

Just an FYI lol.
I know what he said, i've seen that video 100 times. I love Hitchens. He said there were funny females but not many, and the ones that were funny were butch lesbos and your occasional jew.

Sure, in jobs they're good at. But most creative fields? Eh, no.

Let me heal your sexism:

You trolling me? that was awful.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 12:06:21 AM by Assimilate »

benjipwns

« Reply #3955 on: November 21, 2017, 11:55:59 PM »
Elaine was the third funniest character on Seinfeld behind George and Kramer. Seinfeld was the least funny, but the glue that kept it all together.
I put Elaine above Kramer.

etiolate

« Reply #3956 on: November 21, 2017, 11:56:39 PM »

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #3957 on: November 21, 2017, 11:57:54 PM »

George > Elaine > Jerry > Kramer.

Kramer was the most difficult character to use well. It was difficult to keep his character’s wackiness in proper balance.
serge

agrajag

« Reply #3958 on: November 22, 2017, 12:02:35 AM »
I put Elaine above Kramer.

I think it depends on the episode, really. Most of Elaine's funny moments are plot-driven, whereas Kramer is funny on his own right, through physical comedy and such. Elaine has her own moments of physical comedy, like her horrible dancing, but I don't think that comes as natural to her as to Michael Richards, although that's just my observation. Certainly she didn't get as many opportunities for physical comedy. Kramer is more of a one-dimensional character compared to her, and his zaniness gets played out sometimes. I think part of the reason I find male comedians/comedic actors funnier overall is that men seem more adept at physical comedy. I can bust out laughing at Chris Farley or Louis de Funes just doing a few jerky movements, but someone like Melissa McCarthy does absolutely nothing for me. Though that may have to do with my own relationship with women.

George > Elaine > Jerry > Kramer.

Kramer was the most difficult character to use well. It was difficult to keep his character’s wackiness in proper balance.

See, I disagree, but I can see where you're coming from. To me, Kramer dropping a one liner like "I love you Mickey" or "she's got the t-t-t-t (whatever weird quirk he does) Jimmy leg, Jerry" is gold, Jerry, gold.

I also loved that episode where Jerry and Kramer switched apartments and Jerry picked up all the weird Kramer-esque idiosyncrasies and started talking about Bob Sacamano.

benjipwns

« Reply #3959 on: November 22, 2017, 12:06:56 AM »
Like with the bird on Always Sunny, when they tweaked Elaine to no longer be obviously better than the rest...instead she was made more like Jerry in that she clearly could be better but not really...they finally had her right.