Author Topic: Monster Hunter World is out please dress your cat appropriately  (Read 40458 times)

kingv

Re: Monster Hunter World Beta is up
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2018, 12:19:00 PM »
Your impressions are what made me want to give it a shot, actually.

I can live with clunkiness as long as the matchmaking is solid.

Bebpo

« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2018, 01:10:46 PM »
Here's how matchmaking worked for me the other night:

MP -> Pick quest -> Pick a camp (I'm assuming each camp is a lobby? And the number by each is the # of players in each lobby? So I'd pick the camp with the most players) -> Attempt to matchmake -> get into a group -> Someone drops out -> repeat from pick a camp -> do that a few times and get in a group where people don't drop -> play.

Also At the start I think it asks what region (I might be thinking of a different game, I played like 3 MP betas this past week) you are? And I put NA.

Hope that helps.

FWIW almost all the players I matched with had Korean or Japanese names. So it maybe playing during hours when people in Asia are awake helps since that's where MH is most popular.

« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2018, 10:19:49 PM »
Downloaded the beta and forgot to play it this weekend. Whoops.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2018, 03:08:07 AM »

Me too.  :-\

« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2018, 06:32:59 PM »

Me too.  :-\

And yet I preordered it this morning. Looking forward to it. Haven't really played a MH since the original on the PS2. I bought a couple of the PSP games and one on the 3DS but didn't play a whole lot of any of them.
野球

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2018, 08:22:48 PM »
I know MH is generally multiplayer-first, but think there will be enough for a single player to get something out of with this one? A more 'noob friendly' MH is what I think I need to finally get into the series, but am not really too big into high-commitment multiplayer (i.e. jumping on a few short Splatoon 2 or fighting game matches is fine, but having to do coordination and play with other ppl for hours at a time is not my thing).
^_^

Himu

« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2018, 09:15:32 PM »
Monster Hunter is multiplayer first since when? I have never played MH multiplayer in all of my hundreds of hours with the series. Entire entries such as 3 Ultimate for 3ds didn't have multiplayer. Since when is MH about multi? It's a big element for a certain portion of the fanbase but the focus? You have been sorely mistaken and led astray. That's like saying Diablo's focus is multiplayer. It's a nice bonus, but at the end of the day it's all about PHAT LOOT.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2018, 09:40:24 PM »
MH has been multiplayer focused since at least 2G/FU.

Also, 3U for 3DS had hella multiplayer, just not internet-based.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2018, 09:50:06 PM »
playing diablo single player is a cry for help
pcp

Himu

« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2018, 10:15:03 PM »
Slight correction: MH has been multiplayer-focused in Japan. 3U is an example of this. Oh yeah, it had multiplayer, but not based off the internet aka how most Americans and Europeans play handhelds. Japan is different. In Japan, you can bring your 3ds to work and play with friends and play via ad-hoc. We don't and didn't really have that here, so most of us were playing these games single player.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:24:37 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2018, 10:57:18 PM »

Most my diablo game type playing is SP ;_;

But yeah, playing D3 with the bore at launch was the most fun I’ve had in one.
They’re competent SP loot games, but just more fun in MP.

That’s what I’m getting from MH too. If it was more like DMC/Souls short intense boss fights it’d be better SP (Souls bosses are better SP for sure, MP is easy mode). But with the long grueling hunts MP just adds more fun chaos from the beta.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2018, 11:00:06 PM »
Monster Hunter is multiplayer first since when? I have never played MH multiplayer in all of my hundreds of hours with the series. Entire entries such as 3 Ultimate for 3ds didn't have multiplayer. Since when is MH about multi? It's a big element for a certain portion of the fanbase but the focus? You have been sorely mistaken and led astray. That's like saying Diablo's focus is multiplayer. It's a nice bonus, but at the end of the day it's all about PHAT LOOT.

Multi is absolutely its focus in Japan. Always has been.

Edit: Beaten. By you, no less.  :-[

Himu

« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2018, 11:39:30 PM »

Most my diablo game type playing is SP ;_;

But yeah, playing D3 with the bore at launch was the most fun I’ve had in one.
They’re competent SP loot games, but just more fun in MP.

That’s what I’m getting from MH too. If it was more like DMC/Souls short intense boss fights it’d be better SP (Souls bosses are better SP for sure, MP is easy mode). But with the long grueling hunts MP just adds more fun chaos from the beta.

The toughness of some hunts in single player make them even more tense and why American Monster Hunter fans have been forced to git gud by sheer necessity. It's not something I really blink at anymore. It's how I've been groomed. That said, I can see that point from someone new to the franchise. For the record, I think MH trashes Souls.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2018, 11:41:33 PM »
Oh yeah, one big difference from Souls MP is that the bosses in Souls can only track 1 player so everyone else is basically safe 99% of the time which is why MP makes bosses a joke. But in MonHun, a boss will like bite at one player in front, swing a tail at a player in the back and then leap to some guy using a bow far away. So they're definitely designed more for MP. Pretty sure Souls bosses are designed as purely 1v1 fights.

kingv

« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2018, 10:09:31 AM »
I think I decided to pick this up after all.... if I’m not digging it, there’s alway evilbay

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2018, 10:17:11 AM »
what you guys going to be playing on?

ill buy it for xbox one initially but will buy a ps4 to play later on.

« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2018, 11:32:15 AM »
PS4.

This is getting better reviews than I expected.
野球

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2018, 11:39:14 AM »
The reviews kinda sound like "Wow this is just like Monster Hunter, except without all the bad stuff that Monster Hunter fans have forced themselves to endure." :lol
©@©™

kingv

« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2018, 12:27:27 PM »
I can go either way, like with sex, but will probably do PS4 if there are others here playing there, so I can party up.

Bebpo

« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2018, 01:09:21 PM »
I still haven't found a reason to get an Xbox One, and it's not on PC, so PS4 for me.

« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2018, 01:25:28 PM »
The reviews kinda sound like "Wow this is just like Monster Hunter, except without all the bad stuff that Monster Hunter fans have forced themselves to endure." :lol

I figured the reviews would be similar to Dynasty Warriors reviews, but people seem much more positive. [shrug]
野球

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2018, 01:47:16 PM »
My finger is hovering over the buy button.

but not sure if i should pull  :snoop

Himu

« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2018, 02:34:39 PM »
It blesses my heart to see so many people interested in Monster Hunter when only a few years ago I had only me and myself and maybe Andy to talk about it.
IYKYK

« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2018, 03:10:27 PM »
Crazy what happens when you put it on a big, powerful console with a robust online system.

Will definitely be interesting to see how Japan responds to it.
野球

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2018, 03:39:09 PM »

I figured the reviews would be similar to Dynasty Warriors reviews, but people seem much more positive. [shrug]

It's not necessarily a bad thing. If anything, it's nice to finally see Monster Hunter on a system more powerful than the PS2 for the first time.
©@©™

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2018, 03:45:39 PM »
Crazy what happens when you put it on a big, powerful console with a robust online system.

Like what people were clambering for all though years ago  :doge

Seriously though its been a while since i've checked out a MH game  but i'm not sure if i can add it to this very large list of games i now have on the back burner. Also there is one game i keep stubbornly going back to.

But the Hammer is calling me back  :aah

Bebpo

« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2018, 04:09:16 PM »
Anecdotal but every person I know who owns a PS4 is buying it and only 1 has ever played MH before. I'm pretty sure non-Japan sales are gonna be waaaay more than whatever the highest selling non-Japan MH sales have been to date.

The question is if the game is gonna flop in Japan losing them a ton of sales there. Sadly, I have a feeling it will. MH3 did ~500k sales on Wii in Japan compared to like the 2 million it does on portables. MHW probably end up around 500k on PS4 imo, maybe 300-400k since the console market is even worse these days. Hopefully WW sales make up for it if that happens.

Who knows though, maybe it'll be huge in Japan.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
probably when it's ported to switch.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2018, 05:29:33 PM »

Like what people were clambering for all though years ago  :doge

So people had to port beg and act like system warrior fegs in order to play a good game? Sounds about right.  :doge
IYKYK

« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2018, 07:06:22 PM »
Anecdotal but every person I know who owns a PS4 is buying it and only 1 has ever played before.

Pretty much everyone I play FFXIV with is getting it. I even went and bought a pro for it. Haven't seen such collective hype for a game in a while.

This'll be my first MH game since Tri, so it'll be fun getting back into it with my discord bros.

Bebpo

« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2018, 02:37:59 AM »
Man, I am so hyped for this tomorrow. Haven't been truly EXCITED for a day 1 videogame in years.
And it's ironic because I've never been into MH! But ever since playing that beta I can't stop thinking about this game and weapons and tactics and MONSTERS. Plus all my friends getting it means it's exciting to play together since we're all newbies!

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2018, 05:25:40 AM »
That fucking tutorial was annoying as fuck.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2018, 06:24:33 AM »
 *Looks at Resetera thread*

Some guy crying over killing the digital monsters.  :-\

kingv

« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2018, 08:17:03 AM »
Bought it on the boner to play with bro in law... is anyone else on bone, or are the rest of you PS4?

Switters

« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2018, 11:51:39 AM »
Is there a pacifist route in the single player or do I have to hunt the monsters?
troll

« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2018, 12:19:52 PM »
Is there a pacifist route in the single player or do I have to hunt the monsters?

?
野球

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2018, 01:25:43 PM »
He's piggybacking onto the joke a couple posts above his.

kingv

« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2018, 01:35:37 PM »
I think it needs a tourist mode. “Monster follower”

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2018, 01:36:37 PM »
Monster Observer and Appreciator
©ZH

Himu

« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2018, 03:12:04 PM »

You can put monsters to sleep and then capture them in a net if it’s like older MH games.
IYKYK

kingv

« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2018, 03:13:37 PM »
So you jerk them off first?

Go from Monsyerhunter to Monsterbator?

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2018, 04:00:05 PM »

You can put monsters to sleep and then capture them in a net if it’s like older MH games.

so we can take it back to base and get more carvings from it for mats.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2018, 02:58:00 PM »
So you jerk them off first?

Go from Monsyerhunter to Monsterbator?

There's this story of a dolphin trainer jerking of a dolphin. The dolphin fell in love with the trainer. When people found out about it, they took away the trainer. The dolphin felt so heartbroken it swam to the bottom of it's tank and drowned itself.

Depending on how emotional the monsters in Monster Hunter are, you might stil be killing them by doing this.

(Apparently this story is how the Ecco the Dolphin people came up with the game.)

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2018, 03:00:31 PM »
they were also feeding the dolphin lsd to try teach it to speak human.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2018, 04:00:03 PM »
I'm not googling this

Bebpo

« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2018, 04:08:02 PM »
Well this thread sure got weird.

I only played a bit, did the first 2 quests using the hammer aka. pound their head over and over. Cool but still in the beta/demo content. Looking forward to experiencing some new monsters and some challenging monsters that force me to dive deep into weaknesses and traps and environmental damage and stuff. Gonna stick to 1p for a while until it starts getting tougher at which point I'll do quests 4p. Haven't decided whether I'm sticking with the hammer. Might try going bow but I do enjoy the melee feel of smashing dinos and breaking parts off.

kingv

« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2018, 04:32:14 PM »
I can’t really figure out how the multiplayer works. Every time I go to join a session it can’t find any, every time I create one, no one ever joins.

I feel like there is something I’m missing, but I know it’s not my connection or Live, because I can join parties just fine.

I can’t really tell if the game is supposed to be auto-joining a lobby, but isn’t, or if I haven’t gotten far enough to do anything multiplayer,... or what.

Edit: also using that insect glaive. The launch is nice.

kingv

« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2018, 04:42:30 PM »
I mostly like the gameplay, but sometimes think the monsters take too long to kill.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2018, 04:52:44 PM »
they were also feeding the dolphin lsd to try teach it to speak human.

So it could communicate with aliens and tell us about them.

You guys also don't have to google it. It's from a BBC documentary called: The Girl Who Talked to Dolphins.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #168 on: January 27, 2018, 05:14:26 PM »
didn't buy it yet bc im trying to finish what i already have, but is this gonna be one of those multiplayer games where everyone knows exactly what to do already and i just chase after them and try not to die?
pcp

Himu

Re: Monster Hunter World is out please dress your cat appropriately
« Reply #169 on: January 27, 2018, 05:17:05 PM »
Shouldn’t be. Play the game in sp mode first to get acclimated on how to play MH.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #170 on: January 27, 2018, 05:20:06 PM »
cool. will prolly say fuck it and buy it on the first sale, even tho i still havent gotten a switch yet. if anyone knows an easy way for me to get on disability to have more time for gaming, my dms are open.
pcp

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2018, 09:18:13 PM »
box system confuses me, items and mats are seperate, when i finish  quest mats are gone from my invent and i cant see in my box, and why does the box ave very little space?

Bebpo

« Reply #172 on: January 27, 2018, 09:41:54 PM »
I can't figure out the MP either. I found this Gathering Hub upstairs with a cool Arena where I fought the poison puck fuck guy even though I haven't got to him in the main campaign yet. Can't seem to get any MP going and I wonder if it's because you can only matchmake with people posting quests in your lobby and there's a shit ton of lobbys and who knows where the bulk of the player base is hanging out. I think I picked NA, West Coast 1 or something.

Anyone poison fuck guy in the arena was a fun fight. I like how the arena uses pre-set gear loadouts. Gives you a chance to jump into another weapon type full geared up and have a go. I'm using BONE CLUB II currently and I did the Bone Sword loadout and that was a fun fight although the poison was annoying. Also I would get knocked down by the poison and then he'd run up and tongue swipe me before I could get up and hit me again and then run up and tongue swipe again before I could move and kill me sometimes. Felt pretty bullshit getting hit constantly while knocked down during your getting up animation before you can roll out of the way.

In the main story, got to the point where you make your first new camp in expedition mode. Did a bunch of minor quests and took out the Kula-Yaka bird guy who had way too much HP considering he's just some skinny bird guy with a rock wtf.

Anyhow, it's fun. But yeah when I'm ready to play MP I better mess around and figure out how to actually find other people. I wanna do MP Arena battles!
Also I like how the game is like an MMO with a million quests if you want.

Anyone know what the point of some of this stuff is?

-Main quests/optional quests/challenge quests = moving the campaign, gearing up
-Arena quests = getting some loot for gear upgrades
-Bounties = little gathering/killing quests for research points (not sure what research does besides making it easier to track dinos?)
-Investigations = No idea what the point of doing these are? They're not quick either. Like take out 3 great jagras or something.

There might be even more quests than that, dunno. Kinda learning the game as I go. With the HAMMER I'm doing a lot of O overhead smashes and R2 charges into big smashes and dash forward rising uppercut. That's about it.

Also I have no idea how to use the insect glaive outside the few scripted run and swing spots or the few spots with stuff I can aim at and then grab and swing from. Not sure if there's supposed to be more than that. Also no idea how to capture a dino with a net. I have the capture net but haven't tried setting it yet.

« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2018, 11:48:57 PM »
Did you bros make a squad yet? Once you do that, you can all join the same online session and hop into hunts with each other. You can even join ones in progress and still be eligible for rewards, assuming 10 minutes haven't passed since the quest started.

Bebpo

« Reply #175 on: January 28, 2018, 01:39:04 AM »
Did you bros make a squad yet? Once you do that, you can all join the same online session and hop into hunts with each other. You can even join ones in progress and still be eligible for rewards, assuming 10 minutes haven't passed since the quest started.

Let’s do it!

/will make a squad later and report

« Reply #176 on: January 28, 2018, 02:00:31 AM »
iirc, only the squad leader can invite and remove players, so it's important that the leader is a particularly active player.

Bebpo

« Reply #177 on: January 28, 2018, 02:39:24 AM »
I made a squad but I have no idea how to invite people?

Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

Bebpo

« Reply #178 on: January 28, 2018, 02:46:02 AM »
Ok, I think to invite someone to a squad they have to be in your session first
And to invite to your session you have to invite them from your PSN friendlist.

So we better figure out everyone playing this here, and set a time when we're all online together and make sure were all on each other's friendlist so we can get in one session and all join a squad together.

Bebpo

« Reply #179 on: January 28, 2018, 04:38:34 AM »
OK
THINGS I HAVE LEARNED ABOUT MONSTER HUNTER (WORLD)

One of my friends was online so I invited them into an online session -> squad invite -> made a squad session -> invited them (maybe can invite directly to squad session before they are in the squad, idk).

-We ran the 2 available arena missions, Puleik & Kulak. Was fun in 2p, but the coin drops seem useless for now because to craft arena gear set you need commedations which apparently are 5-star quests later. But it's worth it for the fun of arena combat.

-Then we did Investigations and went to the starting area and did Investigation #1 - Great Jagras -> return to camp -> Investigation #2 - Vespoids -> return to camp -> Investigation #3 Great Jagras. The Jagras fights 2p were fun and Vespoid stuff was lame.

Went back and had enough parts with all the investigation bonuses to easily craft full Jagras set.
MSQ is kinda wacky because cutscenes.

So, it seems to me that progression in MP with friends is sorta like this:

1. Progress through main game to unlock new areas which in turn unlocks new investigations
2. Grind investigations for specific monsters with friends since you get like 3x the monster part loot, and get full gear set for that monster quickly
3. Meanwhile watch as passive bounties are accomplished while you're doing 1 & 2
4. repeat

There's also the challenge quests which I haven't tried yet (forgot about them or we would've done the 2star fight two Great Jagras at the same time quest). Will try that tomorrow.

I'm also starting to get a good feel for the moveset for the HAMMER with the charge x 2 -> big smash down and the various smash combos. Teaming up with a friend and taking down a monster is pretty satisfying. Feels like every time you do it things play out a little differently which is nice.