Author Topic: Monster Hunter World is out please dress your cat appropriately  (Read 40445 times)

archie4208

Re: Monster Hunter World is out please dress your cat appropriately
« Reply #480 on: March 13, 2018, 11:21:02 AM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #481 on: March 13, 2018, 12:50:11 PM »
i'm really disliking the weapon choices in the tie ins so far, either they are too weak (aloy's bow) or they are stuff i dont play with (this)

Tasty

« Reply #482 on: March 13, 2018, 01:49:17 PM »
They need to bring back Iuyasha's sword Tessaiga from Tri (and 4 apparently? Fucking Japan...)

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #483 on: March 14, 2018, 12:00:05 AM »
Crap i'm already at 50 hours and just scratched the surface :whew
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 12:09:14 AM by Purple Filth »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #485 on: March 14, 2018, 09:33:53 AM »
k-k-k-k-kontent :rejoice

Freyj

« Reply #487 on: March 17, 2018, 06:30:58 PM »
Biggest non-controls, camera (holy jesus I couldn’t keep my camera on Gore Magala when he was enraged) complaint about MH4U is that every bit non Caravan content makes the blanket assumption that you’re playing with 2-4 people. No scaling. Absolute garbage that the Caravan doesn’t increase your HR and the L/H/G Rank content doesn’t scale.

paprikastaude

« Reply #488 on: March 17, 2018, 08:08:22 PM »
Prior games locked away tons of content if you weren't playing multiplayer or basically made it impossible to manage alone.

Fortus

« Reply #489 on: March 17, 2018, 08:32:18 PM »
HR 60 now after several hundred hours logged. Nothing left to do but grind for decos. Still love hunting but have World on backburner until the big update. I do log in to check for events since the gear can be actually useful like the Stun resist glasses which I now sport. The Wiggler head thing was amusing and it does have two deco slots but...meh. The Aloy set looks cool but the Skills on it are garbage. Trying to get the multiplayer trophy so if anyone needs help on PS4 shoot me a message
pie

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #490 on: March 19, 2018, 02:49:43 PM »
this finally went on sale somewhere and best buy price matched+GCU.  :hyper

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #491 on: March 22, 2018, 01:42:05 PM »
Is there some matchmaking in this game? Or are sol if you are playing solo

kingv

« Reply #492 on: March 22, 2018, 05:15:06 PM »
There is matchmaking and you can join or be joined really easily. There’s like an item you can use to ask for help. I have had pretty good luck with t most of the time.

Freyj

« Reply #493 on: March 22, 2018, 09:07:54 PM »
Going back to World for Deviljho and I think I've determined something I don't care for with 4U, etc: they're much less reactionary and much more rhythmic games.

You watch the best players on 4U and they're almost mechanically locked into a rhythm with how the monster is moving. To really feel like you're besting the monsters you need to proactively anticipate what they're doing and where they'll end up. Maybe World has some of that too, but I feel like you're in much more of a fist fight and less of a dance with the monsters.

Tasty

« Reply #494 on: March 23, 2018, 12:11:22 AM »
That's the appeal though. :thinking

Freyj

« Reply #495 on: March 23, 2018, 12:45:00 AM »
I get that. I just far prefer reactionary to that sort of combat. It feels like a carefully considered response to the limitations of the platforms and controls it was working with.

Svejk

« Reply #496 on: March 23, 2018, 09:56:52 AM »
Update 2.0 just showed as downloaded this morning.  Any idea what all's in that?

Edit:  ah, nvm.   Deviljho hunt is added and such below...

As mentioned in last week’s blog, we’re also making various adjustments to game systems and weapon balance. Here are the full patch notes for this update:

WEAPON BALANCE UDPATES

Great Sword

Charged Slash II — Damage increased.
Charged Slash III — Damage increased.
Strong Charged Slash II — Damage increased.
Strong Charged Slash III — Damage increased.
Long Sword

Foresight Slash — Time window to successfully trigger increased.
Foresight Slash — Hitbox to successfully trigger increased.
Foresight Slash — Damage hitbox increased.
Foresight Slash — Increased the angle that the player can control the direction of the attack.
Spirit Helm Breaker — (Bug Fix) After use, you should now properly be immune to knockbacks until you land on the ground.
Sword & Shield

Roundslash — Damage increased.
Wedge beetles can now be used when using the slinger with your weapon drawn.
Dual Blades

Demon Gauge — Can now be increased by Demon Mode roundslashes and Demon Flurry Rush.
Demon Mode — Fixed a bug where you could not cancel Demon Mode when transitioning from a Demon Dodge.
Hammer

Charge Tier 2 — Charged Upswing stun values increased.
Charge Tier 2 — Charged Brutal Upswing stun values increased.
Charge Tier 3 — Charged Big Bang stun values increased.
Hunting Horn

The Encore effect for the Self-Improvement melody now also increases your attack power (the effect is now "Attack Up + Deflected Attack Prevention").
Lance

Counter-thrust — Temporary knockback negation during a successful counter-thrust.
Gunlance

Shelling — Damage parameters increased when sharpness is yellow or worse.
Sharpness loss alleviated for all Wyrmstake Cannon and Wyvern's Fire attacks.
Wyrmstake Cannon — Damage increased.
Wyvern's Fire — Damage increased.
Switch Axe

Zero Sum Discharge — Level 4 Earplugs effect during use.
It is now possible to chain the beginning of Sword: Jumping Element Discharge into Zero Sum Discharge.
Zero Sum Discharge Finisher — Damaged increased.
Mounted Discharge Finisher — No longer causes sharpness loss.
Zero Sum Discharge — (Bug Fix) After use, you should now properly be immune to knockbacks until you land on the ground.
Charge Blade

Impact Phials — Attack power bonuses from effects other than that of the Artillery skill (for the explosions) were decreased.
Axe: Super Amped Element Discharge — Stun values decreased for Impact Phials.
Phial stun values increased for all attacks other than Axe: Super Amped Element Discharge.
Elemental values increased for Power Element Phials.
Axe: Super Amped Element Discharge — Power Element Phial explosions spaced closer together to make them easier to hit.
Insect Glaive

Improved the effect of the attack power increase for red/white and red/white/orange extract hybrid effects.
Extract effect times increased overall.
Extract effect times no longer decrease while mounting a monster.
Bow

Dashing Shot — Fixed a bug where the Spread/Power Shots skill effect was applied twice.
Dragon Piercer — Fixed a bug where you could shoot past the attack's angle limitations. Now shoots straight ahead of the player, regardless of the camera angle, when shot with the camera angle past the attack's angle limitations.
Light Bowgun and Heavy Bowgun

No adjustments were made.
----------

GAME SYSTEM ADDITIONAL AND CHANGES

Optimized data processing to reduce loading times.
Added the feature "Kick from Online Session" to the player list.
Added "Return to Gathering Hub" (single player) and "Disband & Return to Gathering Hub" (multiplayer) to the options for "Select Return Destination" after a quest.
Added the "Text Size" setting for changing subtitle text size, under Start Menu > Options Game Settings.
In the "Online Session" menu, the name for the menu command "Squad Session Search" was changed to "Create/Search for a Squad Session" (the functionality is unchanged).
Attacks from allies no longer interrupt you during the carving animation. Additionally, players are now immune to all hit reactions, including bombs, during carving animations after quest completion.
Slightly reduced the amount that the Scoutfly Level (which is tied to monster research levels) gauge decreases after each quest.
Added the game version number to the game's title screen (for this update—PS4: 2.00; Xbox One: 2.0.0.0).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:03:12 AM by Svejk »

archie4208

« Reply #497 on: March 24, 2018, 04:59:19 PM »
There's a tempered Jho event quest up right now.  It's really hard and took me 4 tries.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #498 on: March 25, 2018, 01:13:57 AM »
Just started this

Much better then the old ones but holy moly is there a plethora of shit to keep track of

Quests investigations events etc

Freyj

« Reply #499 on: March 25, 2018, 01:40:18 AM »
Azure Rath was not the Monster to try out Charge Blade on but SAEDs are insanely good.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #500 on: March 28, 2018, 02:33:27 PM »
Fuck im deep into this shit now

This game is so good, bit slow killing though

Only mon hun I played before was on ipad (lol) but I still put in 20 hours into it, this will get serious gaming time for sure

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #501 on: March 28, 2018, 02:34:50 PM »
I wan't to buy this game but it's like 70e.  :-\

Svejk

« Reply #502 on: March 28, 2018, 03:42:57 PM »
I started dabbling with the charge blade.  Thought I was getting pretty good at it and took out few monsters.......  till I watched a tutorial on it's move set and realized I was doing the charge all wrong.   :snoop

Svejk

« Reply #503 on: April 02, 2018, 09:03:04 AM »
This is certainly a nitpick, but I feel it's legitimate.  I'm coming to realize that the armor/gear customization in this game sucks....  that may be a bit harsh, but it's certainly poor.    It suffers from what 99% of the games out there that offer character customization, when it comes to armor/gear categories.  All you get is head, torso, waist and leg armor.  With a game with half the purpose of playing it is to craft cool new gear from monsters slain, why... oh why is there not an extra tier of actual clothing that can be crafted from said monsters to wear in conjunction with your armor??!?  Fucking Dragon’s Dogma, a game released 6 years ago, did this (looking at you, Capcom), why is this not in every game (with character customization) moving forward??  They could at least patch in some dye options or something…  But if this isn’t ramped up to at least DD level once the follow up is released, I may just pass then.   

You can fucking make the prettiest/ugliest face, with color of skin not humanly possible, with literal endless variety, but yet, there simply needs to be at least….
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Three times the amount of fashionable tier options in this game!
[close]

paprikastaude

« Reply #504 on: April 02, 2018, 09:38:05 AM »
hot damn that Jho Bazelgeus turf war. :whew Feels good to see this intrusive bastard get what it deserves for once.

Nola

« Reply #505 on: April 02, 2018, 06:42:35 PM »
This is certainly a nitpick, but I feel it's legitimate.  I'm coming to realize that the armor/gear customization in this game sucks....  that may be a bit harsh, but it's certainly poor.    It suffers from what 99% of the games out there that offer character customization, when it comes to armor/gear categories.  All you get is head, torso, waist and leg armor.  With a game with half the purpose of playing it is to craft cool new gear from monsters slain, why... oh why is there not an extra tier of actual clothing that can be crafted from said monsters to wear in conjunction with your armor??!?  Fucking Dragon’s Dogma, a game released 6 years ago, did this (looking at you, Capcom), why is this not in every game (with character customization) moving forward??  They could at least patch in some dye options or something…  But if this isn’t ramped up to at least DD level once the follow up is released, I may just pass then.   

You can fucking make the prettiest/ugliest face, with color of skin not humanly possible, with literal endless variety, but yet, there simply needs to be at least….
Three times the amount of fashionable tier options in this game!
[close]

Go to your item box in your room, go down to the bottom and click on "change appearance," next click on "change armor pigment" in the sub menu.  :itagaki

It's not exactly what you are looking for, and it is somehow even less robust than what you get with the friggin pig's outfits, but it at least allows you to coordinate the base colors if that is something that bothers you enough(I tend to not care all that much)

Svejk

« Reply #506 on: April 02, 2018, 10:39:31 PM »
Go to your item box in your room, go down to the bottom and click on "change appearance," next click on "change armor pigment" in the sub menu.  :itagaki

It's not exactly what you are looking for, and it is somehow even less robust than what you get with the friggin pig's outfits, but it at least allows you to coordinate the base colors if that is something that bothers you enough(I tend to not care all that much)
Oh hell yeah. Thanks for pointing that out.  I'll take that over nothing.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #507 on: April 03, 2018, 09:52:39 AM »
I am digging it, but felt I was playing it wrong. On main quest line I got destroyed by the winged dragon in the 2nd zone, so went back to try and get the Anjanath armor. Just couldn't put a dent in Anjanath, but looking at a few guides it seems that is for a bit later. Once I got past that I took down the Barroth pretty easily but it just took forever...seems like I should be doing more damage. Also just found that you can make weapon/armor sets from some of the small creatures so maybe i have a few upgrades i can do.

Haven't messed with multiplayer but answering SOS seems like its the easiest way to farm (investigations not really loading anything but the first two monsters)? May have to check it out later.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #508 on: June 21, 2018, 07:11:37 PM »

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #509 on: June 21, 2018, 09:10:15 PM »
that's dope  :doge

I haven't played this in weeks, for no real reason at all :'(

Bebpo

« Reply #510 on: June 21, 2018, 10:11:59 PM »
Is the end game hard to catch up on? I left the game when I was still tracking Nerg in the last area. Still need to finish the main story.

Bebpo

« Reply #511 on: July 04, 2018, 01:16:48 AM »
So I totally missed that MHW is getting FF's Behemoth. That's pretty awesome. Yeah, I'll need to catch up at some point so I can do that fight when it's out. Hopefully it's not a big grind from where I was at in HR13 or something to being able to fight and beat one.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

paprikastaude

« Reply #513 on: December 10, 2018, 09:34:02 AM »
GRank DLC next autumn

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #514 on: January 08, 2019, 09:20:31 PM »
Still haven't played through the tutorial.

Shit's gonna be on fucking PS Plus before I have a chance to play.  :-\

Bebpo

« Reply #515 on: January 20, 2019, 12:02:22 AM »
So I ended up playing a ton of this today, got back into the grind loop, and coming from Generations Ultimate it's kinda a weird feel.
Like everyone says World is easier than the old games, and it sorta is and sorta isn't.

Enemies are definitely less aggressive in World and give you more time to beat on them.
But, the HR monsters in World hit....fucking hard. Like I've got pretty ok HR upgraded armor now after a day of grind and I'm still getting like 50%+ of my life taken away in one hit from tough enemies. Like even in G-rank in GU with just HR armor and entry level G-rank armor I'm not getting hit like that at all. Maybe like 30-40% damage hits. World feels a lot like "oh shit I just got hit better run the fuck away and try to heal so I don't cart my team" vs. in G-rank GU where I'm like "ok, I'll wait until I get hit a few times to back off and heal"

Also I don't know if it's just because it's an old game at this point, but the active community sucks on ps4. Almost 1/3rd of the quests I did today ended up failing and not getting anything. When I play GU there's a person carting here and there but man I think I played from HR1 to G2 with randoms and only failed a quest maybe twice the entire time.

I can't tell if this is because the players are better in GU (old-school MH players), or if it's because shit hits harder in World and its easier to cart.
Also some dumb players out there like if there's 2 monsters on the map there is no reason to split up and fight them separately instead of ganging up on one monster at a time wtf. Some guy fighting Black Diablos solo while the other 3 are fighting a Rathian and you get a message he carted. Wtf.

The other thing is the progression is so.freaking.slow in World compared to GU. This whole thing for the last 4 monsters (Nergigante & Elder Dragons) where you have to just "keep playing maps over and over and eventually after a bunch of hours they'll unlock the fights" is really lame. Just give me a list of missions one after another to beat until I get to the ending. You can tell that because there's so few monsters they just dragggggg out the content in World. I've almost unlocked the elder dragon fights after playing all day and gearing up.

I now get the complaint about the maps being too busy/maze-y. I have trouble at the start trying to find my team and the target half the time. Once I find them it's pretty easy to follow from point to point, but still yeah. I don't think it needs zones or anything, but make it easier to get to the monsters at the start.

The monster turf war thing sucks now that I've played GU and they've added Deviljho. Like whenever a turf war starts everyone just walks away and starting mining ores or dancing or doing whatever that is not fighting the monsters for like 3 minutes while the monsters duke it out. It's cool to see once but this is dumb. I don't remember it being as big of an issue pre-Deviljho but he shows up like every high rank mission and fights the target for a while. Yawn.

That being said I like the combat, the gathering and the online has pros and cons. It's easy to jump right into a mission all quick vs sitting around in a room waiting for a team in GU, but I really miss not having a "team" that comes back to the gathering hall after a mission and then we do another mission, and then another misison, etc... I'd often find a good team and we'd play a couple hours doing different stuff. Here every match is with different random people and maybe it's why people play worse because there's no sense of a real team. I hope they do something to make 4 person lobbies more of a thing in the expansion or World 2.

I think I prefer the boss fights in GU because they feel a little more arcade-y. World is definitely more dynamic and it's cool too, but GU bosses and especially the variants just have this arcade feel like when you fight Dreadking Rathalos and he launches nuke bombs on the field instead of fireballs. I'm hoping the expansion adds a lot more variants. I like the Azure Rathalos in World, but that's about the only notable variant? Pink Rathian doesn't seem much different and Black Diablos is just faster with a new move?

Anyhow World is fun and an addictive grind (much more of a grind), but I think in another day or so I'll have all the Elders down, take down a few monsters I haven't fought and then I'll shelve it until the expansion. Meanwhile I'm probably going to keep playing GU finishing up all the special permit deviant fights I haven't done yet and maybe finishing G-rank.

I definitely like Monster Hunter at this point tho  ;)

Anyhow I started yesterday with about 270 DEF and ~832 ATK, and now I'm around 340 DEF and ~1200 ATK. However, since I'm a hammer user if I want to actually knock down stun the bosses if I drop about 30 DEF down to 310 DEF I gain stun damage +30%, so I'm going back and forth between those builds depending on how tough the fight is.

Bebpo

« Reply #516 on: January 20, 2019, 02:36:20 AM »

Unlocked the first elder fight, Teostra. Gave it a shot solo first and beat it. Was a pretty good epic fight. Got lucky that it was a fire elder and my hammer was ice-based. Only complaint is I honestly prefer how Elder fights are handled in the older games where it's not even a full map, just an arena and you and the boss duke it out. While Teostra fight was intense, there were like 4-5 times throughout the fight I had to go run for 30-60 seconds to chase him to the next area back and forth which kinda took a way a bit imo.

Also I tried building a decent upgraded longsword (which was actually a pain in the butt. Grinding low rank mats for the early parts of the upgrade tree when there's no more low rank investigations because everything's high rank takes way longer than grinding high rank mats) and then messed around with LS in World a bit. Eh, it's too fast and fluid for me lol I prefer the old school style of using the fade slashes to re-position and being all about precise slashes. Also I miss the glowing red sword :X Gonna stick with Hammer in World and LS in GU. Maybe for World 2 I'll try a ranged weapon but that just doesn't seem appealing at all in MH.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 02:41:47 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #517 on: January 20, 2019, 12:54:12 PM »
One major improvement in World though is definitely merging SP/MP campaign mode and just scaling based on # of players. It's nice to be able to do stuff in MP and then if you can't find anyone just be able to jump in and do it SP.

Bebpo

« Reply #518 on: January 21, 2019, 07:42:54 PM »
Beat World. Xeno'Jiva's a good fight, just too much HP. Felt like a straight up action game final boss. Lots of HP, endurance fight, but if you learn the patterns you can avoid taking a single hit. I did it in MP first where he's got 40,000 HP and my teammates carted for the 3rd time at 26 mins in  :'(

So I tried doing it solo and beat it after around 30 mins. Its a long(er) fight with the hammer because hammer has no range. I can't hit his head...ever. Even if I knock him down. So it's just me hitting his front claws when I can for 30 mins doing like 100-150 damage per combo set and he's still got 16,000 HP.

I liked Teostra the most out of the return Elder Dragon fights (Nergigante is the best Elder Dragon fight). Kushula Daora is kinda annoying with all the wind stuff and flying around. Feels like not as many opportunities to hit him (though yeah you can bring all these guys down with slinger stuff). Vaal Hazak was just annoying because the curse stuff build up that cuts your HP bar in half ;_; Whenever was like that pretty much had to just avoid him so I didn't get one-shotted.

Deviljho is annoying in GU and annoying in MHW lol. He's just too damn big godzilla and too much HP. I feel like it's hard to avoid his moves like his tail swing or rushes because he just takes up so much space with his body. Beat him once and I'm good on fighting him.

So...all that's left for me in World to clear before shelving it until expansion is Lunastra and Behemoth. Not gonna mess with tempered stuff, don't have any interest in just stat buffed monsters yawn. Hopefully those 2 don't require a bunch of grinding to unlock.

Bebpo

« Reply #519 on: January 24, 2019, 03:26:29 AM »
Finally saw what real endgame Monster Hunter was tonight. Unlocked Lunastra in the arena and yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah, everything one shots me. I might be able to beat it with a team of 4 just avoiding everything but I'd feel bad if I cart and fuck up the quest for everyone. I read you should have defense in the 430-ish with 20-25 fire res. I have like 350 DEF with 20 fire res. Also apparently you can use Vit decorations to increase HP beyond 150 to 200 but I don't have any of that. So yeah, Lunastra ain't gonna happen.

Then I tried the mission to unlock Behemoth where you fight a giant arch-tempered kulu-ya-ku. Wow. No wonder on SoS there's always like 2 of these missions going on at any time. I went through so many parties for like 2 hours, 20 min battles each time with 3-4 people and always quest failed. It's so easy for someone to get stunned and then he does his jump and it one-shots you every fucking time. One shots with 4p random teams over 20 min+ battles = doomed.

Finally I figured I knew the fight well enough that I could just do it solo and not have to worry about my teammates carting as long as I just play carefully and never take a single hit since 1 hit either one-shots or stuns -> one-shot. Well it worked and 23 mins or so later beat him in solo without taking a hit. Unlocked Behemoth and tried it and looooooooooooooooooooooool, more insane damage and huge AoEs (dodging all the tornados while also focusing on not getting hit by the monster is tough). I could try to take him with a 4p team after reading a guide, but again my stats are so underpowered for endgame I'd just feel bad if I was tanking the team so probably gonna say Behemoth and Lunastra ain't happening.

I might fuck around with tempered monsters a bit since the kulu-ya-ku arch-tempered fight, despite being annoying with all the one shot kills, was kinda exciting learning the patterns well enough to not get hit at all since getting hit equaled doom. I dunno. It's pretty clear at this point all the post-game content requires a fuckload of grind to get DEF up and get good decorations and I'm not really interested in the grind.

It's crazy to me how much ridiculously more difficult the post game MHW content is compared to GU's G-rank content (at least through G2). Maybe it's because G2 is still just main campaign and I'm compared post-campaign fights to campaign fights. Maybe G1-G4 ain't bad but post-game G4 is crazy shit like this.

And once G-rank comes out it'll make all this sorta irrelevant because the gear increase will make monsters like Lunastra/Behemoth no big deal, so I might as well just wait for the expansion and come back later. If they make the G-rank versions of the monsters more aggressive like that giant Kulu-ya-ku, I'll be looking forward to going through G-rank, but like MHW probably won't stick around for the post-campaign stuff since I'm sure it'll be one-shots and total grinds.

Pretty fun game.

Bebpo

« Reply #520 on: September 09, 2019, 04:59:32 PM »
Tried Iceborne yesterday. Did the first 2 new monsters and went and fought a Master Rank Kula-Yaku. (all in all had about 3 hours playtime) The new monsters are pretty aggressive and fun, especially with 4p though would've rather had Zamtrios than this wannabe Zam that the game starts with. But the Mammoth one is basically a smaller but better moveset aggressive Gammoth.

Basically it's the same old MHW. Fights are challenging but fun and take a while in SP, 4p more fun and shorter, gear is still a grind. There's a few QoL improvements and this new Claw tool that I haven't really gotten the hang of but supposedly is pretty game changer. Some weapons got new moves but hammer is still the same outside some claw tool integration I couldn't figure out.

Master rank enemies don't seem to hit "that bad" initially, and the aggression makes them play more like XX or old school MH which is cool. But the MR HP pools are a bit much for solo. The Kula-Yaku I did took me 26 mins and I found him pretty fast and was able to keep whacking him uptime basically throughout with a 1300 damage hammer and it took like 20+ mins of constant whacking to take the damn bird down. Definitely going to stick to 4p only, solo MH with big HP pools is griiiiind.

Supposedly there's animals you ride that show you exactly where the monster is on the map which sounds nice but haven't run into it yet.

Load times are insanely awful. Worse than standard MHW on PS4 Pro. About 2-3 mins to start a mission, about 2-3 mins to get back to the city after a mission and about 1-2 mins black screen before some cutscenes. I read that swapping to an SSD cuts those down to 20-30 second loads, so I might actually go for an SSD.

Or I can just restart on PC and use the fall to get back to the end of the campaign in 30-50 hours and then play Iceborne on PC in January. Dunno.

Don't have time to invest into Iceborne now anyhow, so just gonna play a little more and figure out what I want to do.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #521 on: September 09, 2019, 05:04:47 PM »
I am leaning towards restarting on PC as I think I would play it more. Waiting on a sale though as have entirely too much shit to play.  :doge

paprikastaude

« Reply #522 on: September 09, 2019, 08:55:57 PM »
The balancing can be a little much (especially for singleplayer), but because of that it feels more like G-Rank than what other recent entries got. I ran out of time at the cover monster final battle, then I came back with 600 fire damage and got it in 30 minutes. But even with good groups MP sessions can easily get up to 20 minutes also. It's like Monster Hunter before Portable 3rd.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #523 on: September 10, 2019, 12:21:12 AM »
I rolled into the start of this expansion with some augmented insane crit boost blast earplugs lunastra/jiva Switch Axe set I forgot I built and steam rolled the first two monsters  :lol Viper Tobi Kadachi whooped my ass though and after beating him I bounced pretty hard off the ice cat guy so now I'm doing optionals and getting some gear. I like the weapon changes, the new fade slash on SA is real nice although I don't fully get what the powered axe mode actually does on SA.

I like it in general so far- the diff bump puts it at a nice pace IMO whereas world was maybe slightly too easy for most of it before. I barely understand the clutch claw at all (when do I use it? why not spam it all the time?)

My only thought is basically... the loading times suck ass after seeing how fast world loads on PC. But I don't wanna wait till January to play it :|

Bebpo

« Reply #524 on: September 10, 2019, 03:19:48 AM »
Played a bit more late tonight and starting to get back in the fun grind hang of it. Especially getting the hang of hammer again. Still haven't tried the 3rd fight Tobi-Kadachi Poison, just been fucking around with the initial optional quests to get back in the swing of things and get some MR mats.

Did a 4p Beotodus run and it went down pretty quick in 16 mins. Was pretty fun.
Then did a MR Pukei-Pukei run and no one joined my SoS  :'(  But it was pretty fun fight, not sure if he had any new moves (he had a long-range tongue shoot different than the usual triple tongue swing and dash and tongue that might've been new) but was definitely more aggressive and mixing in the claw stuff for extra weakpoint damage and tossing him into a wall for 400-500 damage + stun was fun. Still took 28 mins, but helped me get really in the hang of hitting lots and lots of yellow/orange weakpoint damage hits.

So it looks like the hammer basically got 2 new moves:

-Can shoot slinger shots while charging and holding hammer charge - I'm finding this pretty nice as someone who never really used the slinger outside occasionally flash/screamer pods. Now while I'm charging hammer anytime I'm facing the boss I just let off a slinger shot of whatever I've got (redpit, piercing, etc...) and I'm finding a lot of the time it stuns them for a sec which lets me follow up with my charged hammer combo.

-After doing the big damage charge lvl.3 combo can immediately fire the claw by hitting L2/holding L2 after. Not sure of the usefulness as if your combo doesn't stun then you grab onto the enemy and good chance he moves and knocks you off. But ideally you can do combo -> create softened weakness or combo -> smash monster into wall -> more combos. Will need to see what people recommend with this.

I managed to get a couple of MR Pukei Pukei gear from that which has poison resistance +3 aka nullified, so that might be helpful going into Tobi-Kadachi Poison Ver next. Once I get a purecrystal I'm going to make a rarity 9 iron LS and see about jumping over to LS for Iceborne since LS is what I used in XX.

I also forgot that most of the loading outside the story cutscenes/expeditions is done while you visit the canteen and loadout at the item box and so when questing the load times aren't that bad. But when you're progressing the story and there's cutscenes and stuff it sucks.

I do wonder if the player count for Iceborne is going to be a lot lower than MHW since it's an expansion. In MHW I felt like my SoS were getting joined all the time, but here it seems like it can take a while to get a team (Beotodus run probably took 8-10 mins of the 16 min run to fill up) and sometimes you don't get anyone like my Pukei run. I remember I got around this in MHW by mostly just browsing other people's SOS and joining theirs if it's a monster I need/could use the drops from.

paprikastaude

« Reply #525 on: September 10, 2019, 07:55:07 AM »
No new moves for GS except some shitty additional slinger shot :goty

Bebpo

« Reply #526 on: September 12, 2019, 01:40:58 AM »
Did poison tobi-kadachi, dude was fine until he enrages then kinda nuts. I swapped DEF gear for poison immunity and almost got one shotted at one point (had a sliver of health left). Did it 4p and two people carted so was pretty close.

Bebpo

« Reply #527 on: September 12, 2019, 03:31:30 AM »
Nightshade Palomu -Yeah, some of these variants you need to just quit out and make sure you have their status immunity. Did this without sleep immunity and with hammer (which sucks against airborne enemies) and only 1 person joined my SOS (big fu to people who won't join my SOS flares, never had this much trouble getting a 4p team in the original as I'm seeing in Master Rank).

Took us ...43 mins, ugh. Not only did we almost run out of time with 7 mins left in the 50 min mission, but the other guy fainted twice leaving one faint left and at about 41 mins in I got PARALYZED BY MY OWN SHOCK TRAP IN A POISON PIT and sat there as my left drained away. I was thinking oh fuck there is a waste of 40 mins when I got control with like 5% HP left and I quickly downed an ancient potion and then dropped a pit trap and finished tranqing him to clear. Phew.

But yeah, before I set my SOS flares on a new boss I'll fight them for a few mins and see if I need to quit out and equip any certain immunity. Once I do the SOS I'm kinda committed.

Right now going DEF & HP and just focusing on stuns with my hammer. Have about 730 DEF and an extra +30 HP, so with +50 food that's 180 health. The combination is definitely helping me make mistakes and not get any faints on any of my teams thankfully.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #528 on: September 12, 2019, 10:46:55 PM »
Yeah Nightshade Paolumu is such a bastard of a monster lmao. Much better with sleep res but if you go in there unprepared the fight is a complete nightmare. Clouds of sleeping gas all over the map

Himu

« Reply #529 on: September 12, 2019, 11:07:13 PM »
Who plays the Switch MonHun? Not interested in World.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #530 on: September 12, 2019, 11:10:06 PM »

Me. :)

We could probably use our own thread though.

Bebpo

« Reply #531 on: September 12, 2019, 11:41:03 PM »

::)

Don't be lame. I prefer XX, but World/Iceborne is good.

Himu

« Reply #532 on: September 12, 2019, 11:45:01 PM »
Well I don't want to have my time split between two MonHun games is all and I think I'd prefer traditional MonHun.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #533 on: September 12, 2019, 11:49:54 PM »
Wait Bebps you're on MHGU/XX too? :)

Tasty

« Reply #534 on: September 12, 2019, 11:50:41 PM »
Also yeah Iceborne looks fucking dope :lawd

Himu

« Reply #535 on: September 12, 2019, 11:51:25 PM »
Which is the least time consuming game? MH is time consuming or can be.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #536 on: September 12, 2019, 11:55:57 PM »

Can't speak definitively but GU started as a portable game and World started as a home console game. If I had to bet, the missions are probably more optimized for shorter play sessions on GU.

Then again World has some QoL improvements that probably add up, and gutting the resource collecting aspect of the series probably makes it more "efficient" too.

Bebpo

« Reply #537 on: September 13, 2019, 12:00:50 AM »
Wait Bebps you're on MHGU/XX too? :)

Yeah, I played a fuckload of GU/XX last year or so. Got to like G2 or maybe G3 rank. Found it really fun (no bullshit, just straight out fighting) but pretty easy content at this point with 4p teams in MP. I play Longsword and like the strategy but I also enjoy the fluid combat of World where you aren't locked in your animations missing all your hits. I also like the GU/XX skill/job class system.

I don't really care about graphics anymore in videogames so the main things I like better in World/Iceborne are:

+Better combat
+Greatly prefer SOS multiplayer to old method of forming a party. Main difference is in old MH, most rooms unless they are a single monster grind. you basically rotate turns and so you have to waste a bunch of fights fighting monsters you might not need/care about fighting to get to your turn. Whereas in World/Iceborne you just start the mission you want to do everytime and light an SOS flare and get a 4p team (usually, though Iceborne is a little iffy now), or you look on the SOS list and jump into a hunt that you want to and immediately start fighting.
+Good challenge

cons are:

-Way less monsters than GU/XX
-A lot of time running around chasing monsters if the fights drag (didn't bother me in World because fights were short, but in Iceborne where they are 30mins+, definitely notice the running back and forth; also I tend to lose track of where the monster went half the time whereas in GU/XX the paintball dot makes it easy to follow)
-Way worse looking weapons (look too realistic now and boring; armor is about the same quality, but weapons area big step down in visuals)
-Takes longer to get to the monster in the first place. GU/XX you jump in and go straight to the monster and fight fight fight and it's over usually. World/Iceborne you spend 5 mins getting to the monster, fight with breaks chasing every 5 mins or so.
-World/Iceborne feels more grindy than GU/XX did to me but that might be because GU/XX gives you like a million of every item from the start since it's a late port

Anyhow I like World/Iceborne and I plan to beat the Iceborne campaign and maybe try a clear or two on each of the DLC monsters they add, but if I get the itch to play some MH a year from now I'll boot up GU/XX and take on more of the monsters I still haven't beaten.

Also World/Iceborne doesn't have Gore Magala who is my favorite monster to fight in GU/XX. I also miss Mizutsune, although Gammoth is better in Iceborne.

GU/XX is less of a grind and you'll spend more time in fights, but GU/XX will probably take longer than World/Iceborne if you want to get 1 clear on every monster just because there's like 90 of them in GU/XX and a lot are locked behind grinds. I cleared World in about 50-60 hours, and in about 50-60 hours of GU/XX I still have a ton of monsters left to fight.

Bebpo

« Reply #538 on: September 13, 2019, 12:03:32 AM »
Like after 50-60 hours of playing both, these are the monsters I have yet to clear (not counting Iceborne)

Monsters left to beat in World (3)

Lunastra
Behemoth
Kulve

Monsters left to beat in GU (37)

Agnaktor
Akantor
Redhelm Arzuros
Boltreaver Astalos
Barioth
Basarios
Stonefist Hermitaur
Bloodbath DIablos
Elderfrost Gammoth
Hellblade Glavenus
Gravios
Nightcloak Malfestio
Lagiacrus
Snowbaron Lagombi
Lavasioth
Soulseer Mitzusune
Silverwind Nargacuga
Rajang
Silver Rathalos
Dreadqueen Rathian
Rustrazor Ceantaur
Drilltusk Tetsucabra
Ukanlos
Crystalbeard Uragaan
Volvidon
Deadeye Yian Garuga
Thunderlord Zinogre
Alatreon
Amatsu
Chameleos
Fatalis
Crimson Fatalis
White Fatalis
Kushala Daora
Teostra
Valstrax
Ahtal-Ka
[close]

idk if I'll ever go back to GU/XX and try to clear some of those. But maybe? It's a fun game, just need to make sure people are still playing because MH solo fucking sucksss

Himu

« Reply #539 on: September 13, 2019, 12:04:16 AM »
Hm. Okay. I’ll try both. What system are you on World, Bebs?
IYKYK