Author Topic: The Intellectual Wank Dad [ ot ] jordan peterson Jordan Peterson JORDAN PETERSON  (Read 206825 times)

etiolate

Re: The Intellectual Dank Wad [ ot ] Hour Long Youtubes unf unf
« Reply #300 on: March 08, 2018, 07:50:03 AM »
You misread everything being said due to your confirmation bias. (I am suspecting that's why.)

Let me explain, because I just briefly referenced this.

The premise here, and the necessity for control, does infer some fascistic tendencies. Conversations are a literal arms race in every male interaction for Peterson,

No. What Peterson is talking about are boundaries that the threat of physical violence sets. He is talking about parameters of civility in discussion. He is making the argument that men are used to that civility being established by the mutually understood possibility of violence. In order to avoid violence, which neither side wants, we do not trespass certain boundaries in our discussions.

It's not about dominance. It's the basic understanding of "if I say something cruel or act maniacally, the other man may punch me in response, so I shouldn't be cruel or act maniacally."

This forum seems to attract people who do not understand this sort of boundary and continually trespass it, so I'm not surprised people here can't comprehend that such a thing exists. The threat of physical violence is not to establish dominance. It's to contain destructive behavior. It's to set personal boundaries and respectful social parameters. I assure you that it exists. In real life, if you acted like how some of you acted around the wrong man then you would get popped in the face. Recognizing and understanding these boundaries are a part of civil discourse.

His reference to this in regards to women is that men are reared to not hurt women. There is no sense of that social boundary. If you've seen how women actu towards each other, you'll notice that they are more willing to tresspass into cruelty. (Hang around some high school girls. Perhaps the most verbally cruel group of people you'll find.) And if women want to improve discussions across genders then they have to face that behavior among other women. Unfortunately, in his experience, the women who can converse civilly and respectfully are also too busy with their jobs or daily lives to spend time dealing with those who cannot control themselves and act cruelly towards others.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #301 on: March 08, 2018, 10:03:18 AM »
^^This obnoxious, bad faith way of arguing is why everybody here is mean to you
How dare you criticize his wider world view when the man is preventing school shootings!? You scum!

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #302 on: March 08, 2018, 12:19:16 PM »
et lecturing people that how they post on here would get them punched in real life. :thinking

et saying you can confirm his observations by hanging around teenage girls. :thinking :thinking

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #303 on: March 08, 2018, 01:01:25 PM »
It's so stupid. Jordan Peterson is a college professor. No male professors are going to pop each other in the mouth for being a dick, because that's not how professors behave. If you aren't some dumbass kid or a chud that threat of violence in social circles doesn't exist. I've had guys I've utterly detested in real life, people where the hostility was mutual, and I never felt there was a chance it would end in violence because in my social circles that's not even considered a possibility. Go ahead and use that threat of violence to "civilize" your fellow man, and society won't respect that as a legitimate recourse, they'll think you're a child and an idiot and shun you (as a kindergarten teacher would say, "use your words").

Oblivion

« Reply #304 on: March 08, 2018, 01:01:35 PM »
I'm truly curious as to what kinds of real life conversations people like Et and JP have with actual people.

Like, what kinds of discussions have you had where women repeated crossed "boundaries" that men haven't. Anecdotal for sure, but I've had far more instances where males crossed said boundaries than women.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #305 on: March 08, 2018, 01:12:27 PM »
I mean how do you even talk to other guys online if the threat of violence is so fundamental? Meet up in Temecula to fight irl?

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #306 on: March 08, 2018, 01:31:52 PM »
I don't think it's controversial to say that violence underpins all of society. Ask the libertarians

When he says there's a threat of violence he's saying there's a heirarchy of escalation and he's also talking about something much more fundamental. The fact that, you know, people pay taxes is a miracle.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 01:36:01 PM by Shostakovich »
每天生气

Oblivion

« Reply #307 on: March 08, 2018, 01:34:47 PM »
an intellectual discussion is a vastly different beast than a conversation with an average person. Pretty sure that's obvious

The point still stands though. Where are you guys meeting these women irl that are openly threatening your physical being?

shosta

« Reply #308 on: March 08, 2018, 01:36:22 PM »
an intellectual discussion is a vastly different beast than a conversation with an average person. Pretty sure that's obvious

The point still stands though. Where are you guys meeting these women irl that are openly threatening your physical being?
I misread your post, pls edit to help me save face
每天生气

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #309 on: March 08, 2018, 01:36:48 PM »
I mean how do you even talk to other guys online if the threat of violence is so fundamental? Meet up in Temecula to fight irl?
This is actually something I agree with Peterson on and it's easily observable. He's just saying keyboard warriors that post dumb shit online wont do that to your face cause they'd not want to get their neck cranked.

shosta

« Reply #310 on: March 08, 2018, 01:38:02 PM »
that said i bet i can take any of you jokers on in hand to hand combat
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #311 on: March 08, 2018, 01:54:24 PM »
It's so stupid. Jordan Peterson is a college professor. No male professors are going to pop each other in the mouth for being a dick, because that's not how professors behave. If you aren't some dumbass kid or a chud that threat of violence in social circles doesn't exist.

Yup.

Like, you're way more likely to get stole in Cumberland or Laurel than in Potomac or Chevy Chase. Does this lead the people in Cumberland to be a lot more verbally circumspect, or the folks in Chevy Chase to talk wild shit? Absolutely nobody will be surprise that the answer is no. This is obvious.

etiolate

« Reply #312 on: March 08, 2018, 02:00:05 PM »
I'd say that mostly we deal with bad behavior through ostracization. If you act like a twat then people won't be your friends. There is an escalation. First its verbal, then verbal disagreement, then eventually avoidance and ostracizing from the group, and as the last resort some sort of physical altercation.

Navigating these boundaries are a part of social maturity.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #313 on: March 08, 2018, 02:02:20 PM »
You guys are being weird for no reason, consider the biggest dick on earth, let's call him Colby. Colby would like to inform you of how he likes the look of your whore wife's lips, Colby will not say this to your face because you will likely make a significant impact to his physical well being, he will however slide into your DMs safely from across the earth to lay that wisdom on you. 

Peterson isnt even saying anything controversial, he's just saying the very outer edges of what's acceptable to say between guys is close to a fist fight as that's how men deal with this. This doesnt obviously apply to anyone, but I dont think it's hard to imagine it applies to most.

etiolate

« Reply #314 on: March 08, 2018, 02:07:18 PM »
If you don't understand this then you just discovered why nobody likes you IRL.

Oblivion

« Reply #315 on: March 08, 2018, 02:47:58 PM »
This is actually something I agree with Peterson on and it's easily observable. He's just saying keyboard warriors that post dumb shit online wont do that to your face cause they'd not want to get their neck cranked.

You're right, this isn't a controversial opinion, but again, can you connect this back to the whole "crazy women" thing? Cause that's where I lost the thread.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #316 on: March 08, 2018, 03:01:44 PM »
You're right, this isn't a controversial opinion, but again, can you connect this back to the whole "crazy women" thing? Cause that's where I lost the thread.
Talk shit, get hit. Wear lipstick, 'don't be surprised about unintended consequences, maybe re-think dress codes or mixed gender work environments entirely'.

Ignoring of course that society at large has negotiated all of this already and come to a workable solution where you're responsible for your actions if you lose your head in an argument or otherwise transgress boundaries.

etiolate

« Reply #317 on: March 08, 2018, 03:05:33 PM »

It's sort of: Men are mostly lost without that violence boundary. If a woman oversteps boundaries, they don't know how to handle it. They expect that inward control of social behavior and when it doesn't exist then they have no alternate tactic in dealing with someone behaving irresponsibly. Should they overstep themselves? Where are the boundaries of debate when that masculine code is gone? How do you behave? How do you deescalate?

With no recourse, they just roll over and take it.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #318 on: March 08, 2018, 03:15:58 PM »
Men are mostly lost without that violence boundary.

lmao

Tasty

« Reply #319 on: March 08, 2018, 03:23:54 PM »
Severe :thinking

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #320 on: March 08, 2018, 03:56:50 PM »
Much like Petersons fabled "Sane Women", I'm too damn busy to engage with this male insanity consistently, but here I go.

Look, enough of that, enough women hating, enough pathology, enough bringing disgrace on us as a, as a, gender.
◕‿◕

shosta

« Reply #321 on: March 08, 2018, 04:07:57 PM »
formula for this thread:
- someone posts 3 minute JP clip
- ridicule
- et explains
- debate ensues over how this tiny statement, isolated from all other parts of the argument , is both 1) facile and 2) proof that JP is a discreditable quack
- et becomes uncivil
- et loses argument because of attrition of his sanity
- thread dies for a couple of days
- repeat
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #322 on: March 08, 2018, 04:21:59 PM »
-JP says some dumb shit
-Instead of saying "well he was speaking on the fly, that's not a great example" people feel the need to pretend it's actually smart if you put it in context
-Apologetics for the quote are maybe even dumber than the quote itself
-LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #323 on: March 08, 2018, 06:25:03 PM »
formula for this thread:
- ridicule
- et explains
- debate ensues over how this tiny statement, isolated from all other parts of the argument , is both 1) facile and 2) proof that JP is a discreditable quack
- et becomes uncivil
- repeat

etiolate

« Reply #324 on: March 08, 2018, 06:52:18 PM »
Correction: I don't lose arguments. I lose patience. The argument rarely exists and only briefly exists when it does.

I got naff to actually respond to something said. I explain it. Explaining it reveals how much of the forum doesn't understand social norms. (The argument started and ended right there. "It's over." -Vince Carter) Most conversations don't even get that far.

The forum thinks due to its lack of self awareness that its someone like Peterson who is the social abnormality. They go back to a life where they are ostracized but lack the tools to recognize this. They come back to this online space where they don't get ostracized because ostracization and repercussion is removed by the nature of the format. Mistake the forum for reaffirmation of their rightness. This is essentially an argument about the dangers of social media. Boundaries cannot exist in the same way so they aren't developed. Cruelty becomes more common.

A certain part of the forum I have enough experience with to not even offer the initial civility. I do this on purpose as to mark them as bad. This is self preservation and social messaging. I waste less of my thoughts on the worst and I inform in a public way who to avoid.

When I say it's bad to constantly exist in the peanut gallery, that's not just some wild random thought.  To participate in certain discussions you need to be able to recognize those discussions and know how to change gears. We develop boundaries to have various levels of engagement. It is important to have these different gears. If you can only exist n mockery then you get left behind.

benjipwns

« Reply #325 on: March 08, 2018, 07:47:03 PM »
It's amazing what an outsized role Antifa plays in the right-wing imagination as compared to their actual real world presence. I'm sure Zizek would have something to say about that.
Oh, this reminded me of a "new" book I passed by today...

benjipwns

« Reply #326 on: March 08, 2018, 07:48:03 PM »
my favorite part was actually this on the back:
The explosive new book from Dinesh D'Souza, author of the #1 New York Times bestsellers Hillary's America, America, and Obama's America.
:american :american :american

benjipwns

« Reply #327 on: March 08, 2018, 08:01:59 PM »
They go back to a life where they are ostracized but lack the tools to recognize this. They come back to this online space where they don't get ostracized because ostracization and repercussion is removed by the nature of the format. Mistake the forum for reaffirmation of their rightness. This is essentially an argument about the dangers of social media. Boundaries cannot exist in the same way so they aren't developed.
ban etoliate
icon filler
leper benji

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #328 on: March 08, 2018, 08:09:12 PM »
An Analytical Framework For Why I Get Roasted Online

naff

« Reply #329 on: March 08, 2018, 08:28:50 PM »
Correction: I don't lose arguments. I lose patience. The argument rarely exists and only briefly exists when it does.

I got naff to actually respond to something said. I explain it. Explaining it reveals how much of the forum doesn't understand social norms. (The argument started and ended right there. "It's over." -Vince Carter) Most conversations don't even get that far.

The forum thinks due to its lack of self awareness that its someone like Peterson who is the social abnormality. They go back to a life where they are ostracized but lack the tools to recognize this. They come back to this online space where they don't get ostracized because ostracization and repercussion is removed by the nature of the format. Mistake the forum for reaffirmation of their rightness. This is essentially an argument about the dangers of social media. Boundaries cannot exist in the same way so they aren't developed. Cruelty becomes more common.

A certain part of the forum I have enough experience with to not even offer the initial civility. I do this on purpose as to mark them as bad. This is self preservation and social messaging. I waste less of my thoughts on the worst and I inform in a public way who to avoid.

When I say it's bad to constantly exist in the peanut gallery, that's not just some wild random thought.  To participate in certain discussions you need to be able to recognize those discussions and know how to change gears. We develop boundaries to have various levels of engagement. It is important to have these different gears. If you can only exist n mockery then you get left behind.

◕‿◕

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #330 on: March 08, 2018, 08:32:50 PM »
formula for this thread:
- ridicule
- et explains
- et becomes uncivil
- repeat

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #331 on: March 08, 2018, 08:55:38 PM »
formula for this thread:
- ridicule
- et explains
- et becomes uncivil
- repeat
If you want a serious critique of Peterson's intellectual fraudulence, jakefromstatefarm did a good job of this itt and the Shuja Haider piece does it well as well. Etoilet is frankly too dishonest to engage with seriously imo but your mileage may vary. Every time I've tried he's replies with something irrelevant or nonsensical, it's just aggravating after a certain point and it's more fun to hap abuse on him.

shosta

« Reply #332 on: March 08, 2018, 08:58:12 PM »
oh, forgot about jakefromstatefarm's post. should reply to that sometime.

btw i'm halfway through The Castle since you recommended it. fun book.
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #333 on: March 08, 2018, 09:12:23 PM »
coincidentally, i asked my psychologist if he had ever heard of Jordan Peterson

nope

thought he might have heard of his kerfuffles since, you know, same field and all

spoiler (click to show/hide)
i made fun of his depression lecture i had watched
spoiler (click to show/hide)
out of pure jealously
[close]
[close]

naff

« Reply #334 on: March 08, 2018, 09:41:20 PM »
I guess I can't expect more maturity from a 16 y/o cool young dude here, and Etoilet is doing the same thing he did with gamergate. You didn't explain anything, you jumped through logical hoops while crying "you don't understand", cherry picking an aspect of the argument to justify your adherence to it, while ignoring discussion about anything too unsavoury. It is his chosen retort for critique of every misogynistic subculture this guy becomes enamoured with.

I've never really engaged with this before, but I find the fascination with Peterson more interesting than gg drama. There is some personal vestment, an ex-partner of mine is enamoured with him, as are a few friends. Before he was an internet sensation a few people I respect referenced his lectures to me, I also dated a practicing clin psych for a few years (never spoken to her about Peterson though) and am generally interested in the field he specialises in. I am familiar enough with his work. Of course, I choose the arguments to critique which I find toxic. If you're only saying misogynistic stuff 5% of the time, you're still a misogynist.

He is talking about parameters of civility in discussion. He is making the argument that men are used to that civility being established by the mutually understood possibility of violence. In order to avoid violence, which neither side wants, we do not trespass certain boundaries in our discussions.

This is what I mean, you are either being wilfully ignorant or you're a complete imbecile. The premise, central point, and conclusion all develop towards his clearly stated conclusion for that "little tirade" that Feminism is toxic for society, and eroding it's masculine power because a) women are becoming less (or simply were never ::)) intimidated by male violence, and b) less traditionally feminine thus, difficult to control and dangerous to society.

If you've seen how women actu towards each other, you'll notice that they are more willing to tresspass into cruelty. (Hang around some high school girls. Perhaps the most verbally cruel group of people you'll find.) And if women want to improve discussions across genders then they have to face that behavior among other women. Unfortunately, in his experience, the women who can converse civilly and respectfully are also too busy with their jobs or daily lives to spend time dealing with those who cannot control themselves and act cruelly towards others.

Here is the inherent misogyny, you provide a derogatory anecdote for a basic stereotype as some inavoidable truth. Like Peterson you sprinkle half truths, and facile observation with anecdotes, it's an adversarial ruse. There is no clear dilineation between sane and crazy in his argument outside of his anecdote, and a clin psych should know better than to fuck with this sort of rhetoric.

I know how to stand up to a man that's unfairly trespassing against me. I know this because the parameters, the parameters for my resistance are quite well defined, we talk, we argue, we push, and then it becomes physical. If we move beyond the boundaries of civil discourse we know what the next step is.

This is the problem, I know how to stand up to a man that's unfairly trespassing against me. I know this because the parameters, the parameters for my resistance are quite well defined, we talk, we argue, we push, and then it becomes physical. If we move beyond the boundaries of civil discourse we know what the next step is.

That's forbidden in, in discourse with women. And so I don't think men can control crazy women, i don't think, i really don't believe it (high pitched kermit sound). I think that they have to throw their hands up in, in, in. in, in. what. in. in. It's not even disbelief, it's that the cultural. There's no step forward that you can take under those circumstances because if the man is offensive enough and crazy enough they, they, the reaction becomes physical right away, or at least the threat is there. And when men are talking to each-other in any serious manner that threat of physicality is always there. Especially if it's a real conversation, and it keeps the thing civilised to some degree.

This ignores the fact that women are far and away the victims of violent assault, not perpetrators. Particularly Sexual violence and partner violence. The spectre of violence is absolutely a part of male - female interaction, how could it not? The taboo that men shall not harm women is not upheld, and the punishment for assault would be the same regardless of gender in most situations in modern society. At least where I'm from, assault is serious regardless of the genders involved. This is a fallacy.

Y'know if you're talking to a man who wouldn't fight with you under any circumstances whatsoever, then you're talking to someone to whom you have absolutely no respect. Por ejemplo; there's a women in Toronto who's been uh, organising this movement, let's say against me and some other people who are going to do a free speech uh, uh, event and she managed to organise quite effectively, and she's quite um offensive you might say. She compared us to NAZIS for example, which y'know, publicly, using the Swastika which isn't really something I was all that fond of. But i, i, i'm defenseless against that kind of FEMALE insanity. Because the, techniques that I would use against a man who was employing those tactics are forbidden to me.

This anecdote, used to further relate his previous point is telling, and he speaks very literally. It is difficult to find find any charitable interpretation here; "I'm defenseless against that kind of female insanity. Because the, techniques, that I would use against a man who was employing those tactics are forbidden to me." How he is possibly defenseless, there is no societal taboo against physically defending yourself against women, he can call the police, he has the same rights whether it is a man or a woman. Still, he insists he could not employ his techniques to control the situation because because this woman will not acknowledge his perceived threat inherent to male interaction. Does he really believe assault would solve the situation? Has he ever actually resorted to assault to solve this sort of conflict? Though it's tangential, I genuinely doubt it. Pretty sure Peterson imagines himself as Seagal here infiltrating the AntiFa protest movement. This is clearly delusional.

So I don't know, it seems to me that it isn't men that have to stand up and say enough of this, even though that's what they should do. It seems to me it's sane WOMEN who have to stand up against their crazy sisters, and say look, enough of that, enough MAN HATING, enough PATHOLOGY, enough bringing disgrace on us as a, as a, gender. But, the problem there, and I'll stop my little tirade, is that most of the women I know who are SANE, are busy doing SANE THINGS. Right? They're off, they have their career, they have their family, they're quite occupied, they don't seem to have the time, or maybe even the interest to go after their CRAZY HARPY SISTERS, and so I don't see any regulating force without that terrible femininity. And it seems to me to be (*pause* jazz hands) invading the culture, and undermining the masculine POWER of the culture in a way that's... I think... FATAL."

One question; How can you say he is simply talking about parameters of civility in discussion? He is clearly drawing a point about how women are destroying the social fabric of our society. It's there, plainly stated. Lack of femininity, their inability to adhere to the same conversational parameters (simply one point in the conclusion here) and general insanity are leading society to a fatal conclusion. A fatal conclusion that is being spearheaded by Crazy Harpy Women.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 09:45:27 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

shosta

« Reply #335 on: March 08, 2018, 10:12:43 PM »
Well thanks for the personal insult, that let me know not to read a single word after
每天生气

naff

« Reply #336 on: March 08, 2018, 10:28:32 PM »
You're welcome. It's all your sycophantic rebuttal deserved.
◕‿◕

etiolate

« Reply #337 on: March 08, 2018, 10:55:34 PM »
I didn't jump through any logical hoops. What I said is quite plain and obvious to many people in the world. It's not like Camilla Paglia was shocked by the revelation that men socialize on a physical level and it establishes boundaries of discourse. I really think you should figure out why you're struggling with it.

Two unrelated bits:

-Pretty sure men are the primary victims of assaults, as they are most forms of violence.
-"there is no societal taboo against physically defending yourself against women"  Do you truly believe that?

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #338 on: March 08, 2018, 11:14:26 PM »
Well thanks for the personal insult, that let me know not to read a single word after

Saying 16 y/o cool young dude is an insult :ufup

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #339 on: March 08, 2018, 11:15:54 PM »

You're not actually 16, right?

naff

« Reply #340 on: March 08, 2018, 11:27:51 PM »
Quote from: naff
This ignores the fact that women are far and away the victims of violent assault, not perpetrators.

Ignoring holistic stats, regarding male-female assault. Point being, the threat of violence being unique to male interaction is a fallacy.

Quote from: naff
there is no societal taboo against physically defending yourself against women

What is deemed as excessive is situational. But no, I think it's overstated.

Quote from: etiolate
I really think you should figure out why you're struggling with it.

I'm not struggling with it, my point was that's not what Peterson was arguing about. You say he was talking about the parameters of civility in discussion, but that's not what he was arguing for. He made the point regarding male interaction, and then the fallacy of the lack of parameters in male-female interaction as a part of his argument that crazy women are ruining society.
◕‿◕

shosta

« Reply #341 on: March 08, 2018, 11:29:57 PM »
You're not actually 16, right?
Would that skirrp your purrp?
每天生气

etiolate

« Reply #342 on: March 08, 2018, 11:40:57 PM »
It was what he was arguing. Your take on what he said is a strawman. There's almost nothing in his talk that represents your view.

It may help you to realize that it was both he and Camille's view that nefarious actors are doing harm and Camille's take that men need to stand up to them, to which Jordan stated that he doesn't think they know how to deal with women acting this way. That's how we got to that discussion.

You're going to have to show how we know how to handle these things. How do you deal with a woman who spreads lies about you, fills your neighborhood with flyers calling you a white supremacist and whose aim is to basically create a hate mob against you? You report her? Is she violating a law? Because when he pointed out the woman doing this, he got attacked for doxxing her. Strangely, there does seem to be double standards at  play, where one side can hunt down a guy's home and call him a monster, and the other side cant' even point out the girl doing it. Maybe there is no actual clear pathway on what is right in dealing with abusive "harpies".

As for another bit:

Do you think that women work with a threat of violence in how they learn to navigate discussion? From all I've seen and much of what I've heard from women, their interactions get intensely cruel and there is no violent deescalation. Look at female bullying. It's not physical as much as it is spreading rumors, outcasting and persistent heckling.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #343 on: March 08, 2018, 11:52:09 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #344 on: March 08, 2018, 11:52:30 PM »
You could argue that's a form of violence. Especially the implicit threat to enforce it among the clique.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #345 on: March 08, 2018, 11:54:42 PM »
Typical bad male interaction  - someone talks shit, you get into a confrontation with them, and it's mostly over. Typical bad female interaction - someone talks shit, then the other party talks shit and then you have whispers, rumors and untruths following you around for years. I think men are only now feeling this since online interactions typically follow the female bad interaction pattern (except for that two tards a year that tracks people down for a fist fight). Men are very much unequipped to deal with this mostly(#NotAllMen), probably the next generation will handle it better but for now you have a bunch of men 30 - 60 that haven't a clue how to be part of an uncivil discussion or express their frustration in a healthy manner. 

shosta

每天生气

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #347 on: March 08, 2018, 11:57:53 PM »
A bunch of PMs just legally became CP, rip forum

shosta

« Reply #348 on: March 08, 2018, 11:59:44 PM »
where do you think my tag came from?
#metoo
每天生气

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté

shosta

« Reply #350 on: March 09, 2018, 12:25:14 AM »
Look, man, if you want to know how old I am, just ask.
每天生气

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #351 on: March 09, 2018, 12:36:32 AM »

This is a fair criticism and it's true in some cases but I think in the larger sense that Peterson is talking about--that the threat of violence is a fundamental shaping force of male interactions--it is wrong. The reason why people can behave so incredibly cruelly to each other online is not simply because of the lack of a threat of retaliation. There are  plenty of assholes in newspaper comments sections and on Facebook with their real picture and name displayed. It's the alienation of online communication that enables that cruelty. It's very difficult to be a monster to someone's face, whether they're a man or woman, because you have much more empathy towards others when they're embodied as opposed to disembodied. It's a result of our own ability to sympathize with our fellows. Peterson's argument essentializes (Derrida alert) masculinity as being governed by cruelty. It is impossible in his view for men to interact without this implicit threat of violence.

That was kinda rambling but basically your statement was right but it's not really what Peterson means and also the fundamental reason we're mean online is because ehh who gives a fuck about some random strangers.

etiolate

« Reply #352 on: March 09, 2018, 12:44:59 AM »
I would suggest thinking about the Cathy Newman video, how she misrepresented him and put words in his mouth and did various.. unfriendly things, but since it was a face to face interview, we get to see Jordan remain chill, correct her and then see her trip up and face plant when she realizes she proves his point.

That is one way to deal with it. However, the presentation of the interview and the ability to see their reactions are all a part of that deescalation.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #353 on: March 09, 2018, 01:28:53 AM »
Look, man, if you want to know how old I am, just ask.

You're 16 from Vegas, like you said. It's weird though, I was on another site when I spotted a post by a Shostakovich, and get this, he's also really into Peterson. Ofc I thought of you, but some other details didn't match. What a coincidence though.

benjipwns

« Reply #354 on: March 09, 2018, 03:08:13 AM »
is this his first time? did he finally make it big?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #355 on: March 09, 2018, 04:13:57 AM »
It's a failing on your media's part that people in the general left leaning media side wont have these people on their shows, if it was me I'd be falling over myself to get the Sam Harris' and Jordan Peterson's of the world on my shows so I can debate them and show how they are wrong, the fact that they don't tells me these people arent sure their positions hold up to debate (and or they would rather just let them go on Fox so they can smear the person for being associated with shit news)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #356 on: March 09, 2018, 05:51:18 AM »
90% of the videos I've seen of Peterson he looks/sounds hostile.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #357 on: March 09, 2018, 07:11:46 AM »
As for another bit:

Do you think that women work with a threat of violence in how they learn to navigate discussion?
Yeah, in their interactions with men.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #358 on: March 09, 2018, 07:27:05 AM »
As for another bit:

Do you think that women work with a threat of violence in how they learn to navigate discussion?
Yeah, in their interactions with men.
Very much so, it's something women from all spheres are feeding back to us. It's hard though to fix though, overwhelmingly most interactions wont get physical in any way, but the fear of violence is always there so how as a guy do you combat this?

naff

« Reply #359 on: March 09, 2018, 08:56:42 AM »
You're going to have to show how we know how to handle these things. How do you deal with a woman who spreads lies about you, fills your neighborhood with flyers calling you a white supremacist and whose aim is to basically create a hate mob against you? You report her? Is she violating a law? Because when he pointed out the woman doing this, he got attacked for doxxing her. Strangely, there does seem to be double standards at  play, where one side can hunt down a guy's home and call him a monster, and the other side cant' even point out the girl doing it. Maybe there is no actual clear pathway on what is right in dealing with abusive "harpies".

Doesn't sound like a criminal case, defamation case maybe idk. The difference in the double standard is the power dynamic. To take a leaf out of Peterson's book, I'd consider the individuals involved in this situation, the sides they may fall on aren't really important. JP is relatively powerful, old and influential, it is a little tyrannical for him to direct an outraged fanbase towards relatively un-influential individuals. He, I doubt unwittingly, incited at least the threat of violence through his influence on these young women who understandably pissed him off. The context makes it seem a fairly lopsided punishment. It is irresponsible behaviour given his position and influence.
◕‿◕