Author Topic: The Intellectual Wank Dad [ ot ] jordan peterson Jordan Peterson JORDAN PETERSON  (Read 208465 times)

etiolate

Re: The Intellectual Dank Wad [ ot ] Hour Long Youtubes unf unf
« Reply #780 on: March 30, 2018, 03:42:20 PM »
Here's the deal. All of you are on time out for 2 days. You just got too damned stupid.

In those two days, you can figure out what the difference is between a question and a fear is versus what an absolute proclamation is.

And then you can figure out why you failed to see that and why it was feminism that you sperged on. I'll give you a tip: mental conditioning. If you want to participate in this thread then you need control over your own mind. When you freaked out over the faintest idea of feminism then you revealed you lack control over your own thoughts and behavior.

In two days, I'll open the thread again. I expect you'll all be the same fucking idiot you are now. However, maybe some time dealing with yourself will actually help.

etiolate

« Reply #781 on: April 01, 2018, 07:01:32 PM »
Haven't watched this yet, but probably will tomorrow morning or tonight. Not sure who the other guy is but apparently he does a defense of identity politics at the end? Curious.

Happy Easter

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #782 on: April 01, 2018, 07:07:51 PM »
 :rejoice

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #783 on: April 02, 2018, 03:17:30 AM »

warcock

« Reply #784 on: April 02, 2018, 04:20:23 AM »
Okay, I gotta hear this.

How is feminism responsible for the rise in incarceration rates over the past 40 years?

It's quite simple. Men, having been kicked out of the STEM field (one of the few avenues for a man to make something of himself and keep his shoulders high) by women, are forced into criminality to survive, leading to men being incarcerated while women rule the world.

Guys are being kicked out of S. Anecdotaly speaking TEM are still sausage parties. I think peterson is afraid of all the hairy cunts gunning for his jobs.

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #785 on: April 02, 2018, 10:19:07 AM »
because women dont want to do it, i addressed that a few posts back

etiolate

« Reply #786 on: April 02, 2018, 07:06:17 PM »
Haven't watched this yet, but probably will tomorrow morning or tonight. Not sure who the other guy is but apparently he does a defense of identity politics at the end? Curious.

Happy Easter

Having watched this now, I'd skip to the 45 minute mark if you already know Bret's story. There's a good discussion of the redefining of the word white supremacy and how the strategy of word manipulation works.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #787 on: April 02, 2018, 09:50:41 PM »
Not sure who the other guy is
Mickey Kaus' "radical centrist" anti-atheism half!

etiolate

« Reply #788 on: April 03, 2018, 12:27:56 AM »
From the same videoblog channel, John McWhorter and Grenn Loury discuss the backlash to Amy Wax, racial performance differences, racial quotas, affirmative action and their impact.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #789 on: April 05, 2018, 01:28:01 PM »

.. B-benji  :ohhh :crazy :neo

etiolate

« Reply #790 on: April 05, 2018, 05:13:35 PM »
Can you possibly doxx... the doxx master?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #791 on: April 05, 2018, 06:01:07 PM »
My darkest fear is that we built society for centuries on the idea that many men would die before hitting age 30. That war, hard labor and risk would ween out the male population so that the need of the people never outweighed society's ability to meet the demand. However, many things have changed. Less men go to war. Less men die young from hard labor. Health has improved. Disease control has improved. We simply have more living men now and society wasn't built to handle their need. So they end up in prison or on the streets or they take their own life in a variety of vices and methods.

To get back to this, the demographics just don't bear this out. The biggest driver of early mortality was disease, not violent deaths, and men aren't a significantly bigger chunk of the American population than they used to be.

Leadbelly

« Reply #792 on: April 05, 2018, 07:15:03 PM »
I guess this fits...

benjipwns

« Reply #793 on: April 05, 2018, 09:25:42 PM »
The postmodernists purge another inconvenient truth teller:
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/kevin-williamson-firing-by-the-atlantic-cowardly/
The Atlantic has caved to the intolerant mob and fired Kevin Williamson, and in so doing has contributed to a slanderous fiction — that Kevin is so beyond the pale that he has no place at one of the nation’s premiere mainstream publications. His millions of words, his countless interviews, and his personal character were reduced to nothing — inconsequential in the face of deleted tweets and a five-minute podcast dialogue.
Kevin is independent. He’s provocative. Sure, he can troll a little bit, and — no — I don’t agree with everything he says. I’m a moderate, you see. If abortion is ever criminalized in this nation, I think only the abortionist (and not the mother) should face murder charges for poisoning, crushing, or dismembering a living child. So we might differ about the laws in hypothetical-future-America.

But in this America, the one we live in now, Kevin is one of our most interesting and talented voices. Like every single interesting and talented person I know, he can provoke. But so what? Aren’t we adults? Can’t we handle disagreement? Apparently not.

I’ve spent my entire adult life in an academic and media environment that put a premium on shocking the conservative conscience. Advocate for the most barbaric abortion practices? Fine. Celebrate an artist who dips a crucifix in urine? Cool. Decry 9/11 first responders as “not human” because of white supremacy? Intriguing. But the marketplace of ideas isn’t for the faint of heart, and good conservatives learn to simultaneously defend the culture of free speech while also fighting hard to build a culture of virtue and respect.

Look, I know it’s easy for some to dismiss Kevin’s termination as mere inside-baseball media drama. But it’s more than that. It’s a declaration by one of America’s most powerful media entities that it can’t even coexist with a man like Kevin. If he wants to write, he should run along to his conservative home. His new colleagues simply couldn’t abide his presence.

After Kevin was fired, Guardian columnist Jessica Valenti tweeted that she was “very relieved for the women” who work at The Atlantic. Why? What was Kevin going to do to them? Write things that made them angry? God forbid! His ideas might hurt? Have mercy!

And so it goes, the steady, inexorable division of America into the tolerable and the intolerable — with the range of tolerable people narrowing ever-so-rapidly. There’s no grace in this brave new world. There’s no charity. It’s not enough to disagree. Now we must ruin. Now we must humiliate. Saying “you’re wrong” is no longer enough. The argument isn’t sufficient.

Oblivion

« Reply #794 on: April 05, 2018, 10:43:36 PM »
So much for the tolerant free market.

benjipwns

« Reply #795 on: April 06, 2018, 04:54:32 AM »
JP once again puts it all on the line against journalisms toughest interviewer :lawd

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #796 on: April 06, 2018, 10:01:58 AM »

who's the person carl of akkad is responding to?

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #797 on: April 06, 2018, 02:07:24 PM »
Tbf I would rather be a radical leftist than a nihilistic atheist.

etiolate

« Reply #798 on: April 06, 2018, 02:09:26 PM »

who's the person carl of akkad is responding to?

According to the YT comments, he's responding to Kevin Logan

who that is I have no idea

Part of the whole Youtuber world is  constant hot take response videos to each other.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #799 on: April 06, 2018, 07:58:01 PM »
The beard/dyed slicked back hair is not a good look for JP. It makes him look decidedly even less friendly and more depressed.
He now looks like a proper Bond Villain.

The look suits him.
🤴

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #800 on: April 06, 2018, 08:35:29 PM »
Et: given your background, I think you'll like this.
With Stories Like These, Who Needs Talent? Part II: English as a Dead Language

The death of poetry as an active, dynamic element in literary culture likely has a great deal to do with various international developments in mass education since the Second World War. It is hard to pinpoint when the traditional canon of English poetry began to disintegrate in educational institutions; though an English literature student who earned a BA between 2000 and 2004 likely has more in common with a 1950-1954 English BA than a 2010-2014 or 2014-2018 BA in English, certainly in terms of the curriculum and range of texts studied as part of the degree course.

Students of English in schools and universities alike are rarely introduced to any coherent or stable body of literary works. Nor are they often taught the fundamental features of verse (metre, rhythm, form) that would enable poems easily to be committed to memory. Critical precepts, interpretative methods, and social or political questions now drive the teaching of English literature; these new focuses come at the expense of traditional conceptions of literary instruction. The teaching of literature naturally has an effect on what is written in a society: you cannot aspire to be (say) your generation’s Keats when nobody in your generation has read any Keats, or knows who he was. Or you can aspire thus, if you are prepared to yell alone in the dark.
Ashbery, O’Hara, and Prynne are anti-traditional poets. You do not need to know anything about literature, history, philosophy, or art to grasp what is most important in their work; you do not need to have mastered foreign languages, or even have a secure grasp of English. All you need is a good dictionary, for Ashbery’s and Prynne’s instances of rare vocabulary, and Wikipedia and YouTube for O’Hara’s references to obsolete brand names and forgotten camp icons. Otherwise, you learn how to read these poets as you go along. Their work has attracted the attention of poetry critics and scholars such as Helen Vendler (Harvard) and Marjorie Perloff (Stanford), who have a vested interest in ensuring that various Modernist and Postmodernist strains in poetry survive; without writers like these, their entire academic careers become obsolete. They have spent decades promoting this sort of work, because their own reputations have been painstakingly built on coming up with plausible-seeming strategies for reading this sort of thing and enjoying it.
It is now possible to have a distinguished career as a professional poet, and win literary prizes, subsidies from the state, well-endowed fellowships, secure teaching posts, and all-expenses-paid residencies abroad at institutions like the American Academy at Rome and American Academy in Berlin, all without having more than a handful of colleagues and students as your readers. None of what is produced is necessarily ‘poetry’ in any traditional sense of the term. But as long as the system carries on paying poets for their activities, with no complaints save from bitter would-be poets who aren’t part of the institutional system, who cares?
每天生气

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #801 on: April 06, 2018, 10:03:15 PM »
Won’t somebody please think of the canon?  :brazilcry

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #802 on: April 06, 2018, 10:19:14 PM »
lmao nobody is trying to read iambic pentameter in 2018

the stuff that gets popular today flaunts traditional rules for verse too, it's just not as impenetrably dense as academic poetry

shosta

« Reply #803 on: April 06, 2018, 10:26:42 PM »
I like Rupi Kaur
每天生气

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #804 on: April 06, 2018, 10:33:38 PM »

shosta

« Reply #805 on: April 06, 2018, 10:35:29 PM »
real story, there was a girl who was interested in me, and I gave her an anthology of Sylvia Plath poems for her birthday, and we straight up just stopped talking

maybe the canon would have worked better???
每天生气

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #806 on: April 07, 2018, 06:05:20 PM »
very old but i've only just got around to reading the last psychiatrist, just working my way through and at times i have no idea what has been said or referenced but entertaining enough to stick with it https://thelastpsychiatrist.com/

Oblivion

« Reply #807 on: April 07, 2018, 10:59:46 PM »
real story, there was a girl who was interested in me, and I gave her an anthology of Sylvia Plath poems for her birthday, and we straight up just stopped talking

newsfeed

benjipwns

« Reply #808 on: April 08, 2018, 03:49:49 AM »
beard is going well as he's filled in, but i agree with the slicked hair comment, needs a different style, unless he goes for a total Zod thing

The idea of the death and resurrection has a psychological meaning, in addition to its metaphysical and religious significance. It can be thought of as part of the structure of narrative that sits at the basis of our culture. It includes elements of sacrifice (associated with delay of gratification and the discovery of the future) and psychological transformation (as movement forward in life often requires the death of something old and the birth of something new).

This five-part commentary is an attempt to explain such ideas in detail so that they can be understood, as well as “believed.” 

ilkerbasan
2 days ago
Nietsche announced God is dead.
Dr. Peterson announced God is resurrected.
meusisto
2 days ago
I was agnostic. Deeply considering Christianity (Catholicism/Orthodoxy) now.
Luciano Latouche
2 days ago
Jordan Peterson's attitude has put the new "atheists" (here I'm not talking about unbelievers but people who despise religion in all its aspects and have made it their mission to destroy it) to shame. JP's approach to religion and respect for complex ideas are to be celebrated. No wonder why he's way more respected than all those proponents of anti-theistic nonsense.

benjipwns

« Reply #809 on: April 08, 2018, 03:51:56 AM »
hey! he made BIG THINK! time for them to step up and be the middle man between JP and SLAVOJ ZIZEK to settle reality forever

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #810 on: April 08, 2018, 01:22:19 PM »
So... Jordan Peterson is pretty much a self-help guru for the alt-right?

Did the dude just confuse himself in that video? More like Big Stink.

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #811 on: April 08, 2018, 01:27:23 PM »

lmfao

Oblivion

« Reply #812 on: April 08, 2018, 02:39:50 PM »

lmfao

Right? The man clearly appeals to people from all sides of the political spectrum.

Here's a list of every prominent person on the Left that likes him:

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #813 on: April 08, 2018, 02:56:42 PM »
I wouldn't say the alt-right (if we keep that definition pretty narrow), but his stans are generally MRAdjacent.

Oblivion

« Reply #814 on: April 08, 2018, 03:03:28 PM »
Isn't the only difference between the alt-right and regular right that the former also happens to like anime?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #815 on: April 08, 2018, 03:17:45 PM »
it was used enough for me to go look it up, took like 2 mins man, alt right is another name for Spencer's neo nazi loons.

agrajag

« Reply #816 on: April 08, 2018, 03:26:59 PM »

maybe the canon would have worked better???

you should have written her a crown of sonnets

agrajag

« Reply #817 on: April 08, 2018, 03:28:38 PM »
Isn't the only difference between the alt-right and regular right that the former also happens to like anime?

the difference is the memes dog, JP is dat boi

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #818 on: April 08, 2018, 03:28:58 PM »

They also don't like (((globalists))).

agrajag

« Reply #819 on: April 08, 2018, 03:32:03 PM »
also, the regular ol' vanilla right don't go around calling everyone they don't like cucks, it is said that they are, perhaps, cucks themselves

Oblivion

« Reply #820 on: April 08, 2018, 03:37:08 PM »
it was used enough for me to go look it up, took like 2 mins man, alt right is another name for Spencer's neo nazi loons.

Spencer is the one who created the name, but it was accepted by people on the right who don't consider themselves to be neo-Nazis. Ex.

“We’re the platform for the alt-right,” Bannon told me proudly when I interviewed him at the Republican National Convention (RNC) in July.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/08/stephen-bannon-donald-trump-alt-right-breitbart-news/

etiolate

« Reply #821 on: April 08, 2018, 03:39:46 PM »
I believe the alt-right also encompassed neoreactionaries and dark enlightenment folk. 

benjipwns

« Reply #822 on: April 08, 2018, 06:22:57 PM »
The weirdest part of the alt-right for me has always been the neo-monarchists and "dark enlightenment" wing. Say what you will about the tenets of white supremacy, dude...

etiolate

« Reply #823 on: April 08, 2018, 06:55:55 PM »
The neo-monarchists feel that the populace shouldn't be allowed a vote or as much agency as they've been given due to the public being mostly inept at making choices and undeserving of the power they've wielded in a democracy that allows even the dumbest guy in the room to shout what he wants. Important decisions should be reserved for the cultured and intellectual elite, who are as capable of understanding the farmer's plight well enough to speak for the farmer. So they're much like a neoliberal but far more straight forward about it.

shosta

« Reply #824 on: April 09, 2018, 01:53:56 AM »
They're really, seriously not even worth mentioning. I don't remember if I brought this up here or on Resetera with ol' sphagnumi and memeballs the last time it came up but I've had several conversations with Curtis Yarvin and while he's pretty well read he just suffers from so many logical shortcomings that I can't take him seriously at all. Both his political views and his personal software projects have the same kind of obvious failings that a normal person would have seen as reason to abandon both immediately.
每天生气

etiolate

« Reply #825 on: April 09, 2018, 03:18:40 AM »
I find the dark enlightenment folk amusing. Perhaps that's rude.

At least they come up with whatever idea they can. The white ethnostate people saw a losing game in identity politics and decided to join it. They also don't seem to realize that European cultures were touched by a geographically wider influence and the great thinkers of the past didn't close themselves off.

I'll get to that literary link eventually.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #826 on: April 09, 2018, 01:00:30 PM »
skinner vs chomsky

not quite as obvious as when he got btfo by zizek but chomsky gets skinner completely wrong right off the bat and proceeds to write long letters to skinner which he stops reading and ignoring :lol

agrajag

« Reply #827 on: April 09, 2018, 01:12:00 PM »

etiolate

« Reply #828 on: April 09, 2018, 01:18:03 PM »
omg the subtitles/cc for that

"slovenian psychoanalyst and philosopher slow-voice dziezeck"

Oblivion

« Reply #829 on: April 09, 2018, 01:57:41 PM »
Looks like Harris decided to go through with going on Ezra's podcast after all. Listening to it now:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/vox/the-ezra-klein-show

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #830 on: April 09, 2018, 02:13:07 PM »
this should be interesting, currently listening to Ariel Helwani talk shit, but i'll give this a listen after (please warn me if it turns to complete shit)

etiolate

« Reply #831 on: April 09, 2018, 02:42:06 PM »
Listening to Ezra Klein makes me want to punch him in the face.  Each time he uses the word problematic. Anyone with a major writing platform should recognize that as a weasel word and remove it from their use, but the state of writing is so ideologically driven rather than quality driven that it keeps flying out of his up-speaking beak.

etiolate

« Reply #832 on: April 09, 2018, 02:45:51 PM »
Rogan uses it all the time himself. Everyone needs to cut out the word. Whenever you use it, you could probably be far more precise and say what the problem is and if you can't find the problem then maybe it's not problematic?

agrajag

« Reply #833 on: April 09, 2018, 03:16:08 PM »
I don't mind it when it has specific uses.

"Your squat form is problematic, and I am going to explain why"

If you use it to mean "this person has an ideology that doesn't align with mine" then fuck it

etiolate

« Reply #834 on: April 09, 2018, 03:22:49 PM »
Yeah if you can explain the problem then it's fine. If you are avoiding explaining the problem you have or are not even sure what the problem is then its weasely as hell.

shosta

« Reply #835 on: April 09, 2018, 03:28:44 PM »
What about "This person has a squat form ideology that doesn't align with mine"?
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #836 on: April 09, 2018, 03:32:09 PM »
What about "This person has a squat form ideology that doesn't align with mine"?

then you're jason blaha

etiolate

« Reply #837 on: April 09, 2018, 03:36:07 PM »
I don't remember where Peterson uses the term problematic. I am guessing he's using it to imply that its worrisome. Rogan uses it both seriously and mockingly, so it depends on which time he's using it. Rogan abuses it as a weasel word sometimes when he should state the specific problem.

Ideally, you want the term narrowed down to a worthwhile limitation of meaning. So strip down its use until you get to that point. Be it "filled with many problems" or a definition that belies its weak usage, such as "disagreeable".

shosta

« Reply #838 on: April 09, 2018, 03:46:27 PM »
everyone knows problematic is a meme word now that means "having racist or sexist views".
每天生气

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #839 on: April 09, 2018, 03:51:20 PM »
everyone knows problematic is a meme word now that means "having racist or sexist views".
more like that means ' if you dont stop what you are saying now I'm going to accuse you of having racist or sexist views'