Author Topic: Other Forums |OT| ♀ C O R E V A L U E S ♀ Sponsored By THQNordic  (Read 5901256 times)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Re: Other Forums |OT| Book Reading, Free Speech, and Full-Blown Centrists Within
« Reply #54180 on: January 16, 2019, 08:52:34 AM »
We're at the point where even furries won't defend furries
Uncle

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
Re: Other Forums |OT| Book Reading, Free Speech, and Full-Blown Centrists Within
« Reply #54181 on: January 16, 2019, 08:59:02 AM »
I know what you mean, I defend furries because I believe in the principle of respect for all people, but sometimes I wonder if it's worth the emotional toll. I feel like the public defender who is ethically forced to get a guilty client off on a technicality.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally going to laugh at furries, but its not because I have any particular moral imperative to want them to stop doing whatever pulls their trigger.
Its mostly that its blatantly a sex thing, and they keep pretending its not.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #54182 on: January 16, 2019, 09:18:22 AM »
Dashcon, that was the epic fail one with the ballpit meme:
(Image removed from quote.)

At 9:00 p.m. CT, as a result of this unexpected development, organizers began to publicly solicit donations among a crowd of around 1,000 attendees (itself much lower than the original estimate of 3,000 to 7,000 attendees),[7] and online via PayPal, to cover costs, with a goal of collecting at least $17,000 by 10:00 p.m. to prevent the convention from being shut down. Organizers speculated that the abrupt change in plans was because the hotel's management "[did not] like the people at the con".[9] Attendees were seen performing a three-fingered salute from The Hunger Games and chanting lines from High School Musical.[9] While organizers managed to raise the necessary funds, the incident raised suspicion among attendees over the possibility of the crowdfunding drive being a scam (which included disputes over the authenticity of an image of the bill, printed on hotel stationery, which was released by a staff member), or being further proof of the alleged mismanagement.[9][10][11]

Several guests – including Noelle Stevenson (who had to moderate her own panel because the scheduled moderator was absent), the Baker Street Babes (who produced an all-female Sherlock Holmes podcast),[7] and the Welcome to Night Vale cast – were also informed by the hotel that they would be responsible for paying for their own rooms, despite previously being told that the rooms would be paid for by the convention itself.[7] Stevenson would ultimately join the WTNV cast for the night in accommodations obtained via Airbnb. The appearance by the Welcome to Night Vale cast was ultimately canceled; organizers reimbursed those who had purchased tickets for the panel with tickets to a raffle of various autographed collectibles, admission to a concert with the Chicago-based Doctor Who-inspired rock band Time Crash,[12] and an "extra hour with the ball pit".[7][9][10][13]

Also there is a ballpit. You have to book time to play in it because with no pannels, no guests, and no dealers room, there is literally nothing else to do at the con.

This is some top-shelf cringe. :noah
©@©™

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #54183 on: January 16, 2019, 10:07:36 AM »
https://jezebel.com/the-tumblr-user-convention-dashcon-was-a-beautiful-hil-1604571770

Here's a roundup of some of the panels that were planned:

• Shipping 101: OTP? BroTP? NOTP? OT3? Your basics...and not so basics on all things shipping! 18+
  • Can You Knot: Exploring the Omegaverse (18+): A growing subset within fandoms! Topics such as gender roles, gendered language, and the six gender system will be discussed among many other topics.
  • British Men with...CHEEKBONES: Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston, David Tennant...we all know how addicted you are to those faces and those impeccable cheekbones. Fangirl with others over how much you can't live without those, and others, beautiful faces.
  • BDSM 101: A panel to discuss the truth of BDSM and to clear up the misconceptions set forth by popular fiction and a fear of the unknown. 18+
  • Hetalia Jeopardy: The infamous game show but with Hetalia! The show, characters, the history, and everything else you can think of! Prizes will be given.
  • Sherlock Fandom: We Did WHAT?: A glimpse into the craziness that has always embodied the Sherlockians, whether you were forcing ACD to resurrect your hero, or drawing John having intimate relations with a tuna in a scarf. A no holds barred panel, be prepared for anything and everything. 18+
Uncle

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #54184 on: January 16, 2019, 10:11:50 AM »
 :woody

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #54185 on: January 16, 2019, 10:29:24 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-happened-to-max-landis.93833/post-16925047

His dad got away with killing some kids and Vic Morrow, so I'm sure he'll be fine too.

stay classy, era

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #54186 on: January 16, 2019, 10:43:16 AM »
Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston, David Tennant....will not be appearing, and in fact have already sent C&D letters.
©@©™

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #54187 on: January 16, 2019, 10:44:40 AM »
You take Benedict Cumberbatch's name out of your mouth you whore.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #54188 on: January 16, 2019, 10:45:21 AM »
I bet he lays pipe.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #54189 on: January 16, 2019, 10:59:42 AM »
Speaking of Benedict, I recently watched Infinity War.

What a dumpster fire of a movie.
:O

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #54190 on: January 16, 2019, 11:01:05 AM »
it's a terrible movie

marrec

« Reply #54191 on: January 16, 2019, 11:02:29 AM »
It's a great spectacle with some solid performances and tight pacing, just cause adults are wearing costumes and shooting laser beams doesn't mean it's terrible.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #54192 on: January 16, 2019, 11:23:15 AM »
fuck off marrec

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #54193 on: January 16, 2019, 11:23:35 AM »
It’s a movie where the villain attains god like power so he can kill off half the population but leaves enough heroes alive so that they can eventually defeat him.
Oi Oi

james

« Reply #54194 on: January 16, 2019, 11:26:13 AM »
It's a great spectacle with some solid performances and tight pacing, just cause adults are wearing costumes and shooting laser beams doesn't mean it's terrible.

Gravity was a great spectacle. Interstellar was a great spectacle.

Infinity War is a bunch of similar looking people with 5th grade level dialogue standing in front of green screens with the background set to "extra colorful".

What blew my mind is that there are two scenes that take place in busy areas, and there are zero background extras. Theres a big fight in NYC, and after the first five seconds of people running away, the city is completely deserted. Not a single person aside from the main cast of 5. This repeats again during a fight in a train station in Scotland (I think). Absolutely nothing going on in the background. They spent like $200m and they couldnt pay for extras?

And tight pacing? Theres like 45 minutes of uneeded shit put it to drag the movie to 2.5 hours.

But you know what really surprised me?

During the first 15-25 minutes or so, there is one (1) female character who has like 3 lines. Everything else is dudes. Where the fuck is my 400 page Resetera thread about how horrible that is?

marrec

« Reply #54195 on: January 16, 2019, 11:26:40 AM »
fuck off marrec

:umad

James Interstellar is worse than Infinity War, THAT was a terrible movie

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #54196 on: January 16, 2019, 11:28:29 AM »
marrec is such a bitch.

james

« Reply #54197 on: January 16, 2019, 11:31:21 AM »
fuck off marrec

Interstellar had a lot of problems, including pacing.

But it was a great spectacle and theres no debating that.

Take the scene on the giant wave planet. Going there, for one, was idiotic. When they were planning it, Im like "hey guys hasnt the transponder only been there for like 2 minutes?" but the crack team of scientists didnt figure that out until they left. And then once theyre there, the death was the stupidest fucking thing. Stand inside the ship you imbecile.

But it was a great fucking spectacle, and nothing in the Marvel movies comes close to matching that.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #54198 on: January 16, 2019, 11:32:01 AM »

marrec

« Reply #54199 on: January 16, 2019, 11:34:24 AM »
fuck off marrec

Interstellar had a lot of problems, including pacing.

But it was a great spectacle and theres no debating that.

Take the scene on the giant wave planet. Going there, for one, was idiotic. When they were planning it, Im like "hey guys hasnt the transponder only been there for like 2 minutes?" but the crack team of scientists didnt figure that out until they left. And then once theyre there, the death was the stupidest fucking thing. Stand inside the ship you imbecile.

But it was a great fucking spectacle, and nothing in the Marvel movies comes close to matching that.

It's hard to match Nolan for spectacle so you're definitely correct about that, but Infinity War is pretty spectacular on the big screen as well.

I'm probably biased because I'm a nerd but the Thanos battle on his home planet displayed an understanding of action cinema that Nolan will never be able to grasp. Beyond all of that it's a pretty bland movie though yes, with a standout performance by Josh Brolin who brings pathos to a character that wasn't well written at all. A worse actor would have been disastrous for the movie.

EDIT:

It does feel weirdly barren at times, probably because putting in extras in scenes that are entirely CG would be more diminishing in it's returns.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:38:27 AM by marrec »

james

« Reply #54200 on: January 16, 2019, 11:42:55 AM »
It's hard to match Nolan for spectacle so you're definitely correct about that, but Infinity War is pretty spectacular on the big screen as well.

I'm probably biased because I'm a nerd but the Thanos battle on his home planet displayed an understanding of action cinema that Nolan will never be able to grasp. Beyond all of that it's a pretty bland movie though yes, with a standout performance by Josh Brolin who brings pathos to a character that wasn't well written at all. A worse actor would have been disastrous for the movie.

EDIT:

It does feel weirdly barren at times, probably because putting in extras in scenes that are entirely CG would be more diminishing in it's returns.

I was going to mention Dunkirk as another example of a wonderful spectacle movie, but yup, Nolan.

What do you mean by an understanding of action cinema? The fights are all meaningless because you can have the strongest person in the universe punch a kid and they dont even get a mild bruise because of the magic powers of a fabric suit. Theres no weight to any of the hits. It's like a bunch of people hitting each other with foam pool noodles. Guns, swords, magic, flying trucks, none of the attacks do anything to anybody.

The part where they jump in and out of the little space portals created by Strange was a nice gimmick though.

And yes, Thanos comes off well. I wish him the best in the sequel. Nice dude.

Leadbelly

« Reply #54202 on: January 16, 2019, 12:08:26 PM »
Defending the principles of free expression means being forced to defend shitheels who abuse free expression, because the principle is that important.
The ACLU don't like the idea that the Westboro Baptist Church will go to a dead veterans funeral and hold placards and shout at mourning relatives that they're glad their kid got killed because he was a cigarillo and god hates him, but they believe in the principle that they should be allowed to do that, as distasteful as that is.

Because thats what principles are. If they're worth anything at all they're not something you abandon when it becomes awkward or inconvenient to adhere to.

You're fine with people you don't like being 'deplatformed'. Good for you.
But the point of Martin Niemöller's famous quote is if you let people you don't give a shit about get thrown under the bus, what happens when people you do care about are in the same position?
What, you're fine with people you don't even know with zero obligations to do anything but what they want to do be in charge of that?
Is it completely out of the realms of possibility that a fundamentalist religious organisation could buy a controlling stake in one of these publicly traded companies?
Then what do you do when they're 'deplatforming' things like teachers teaching the theory of evolution instead of creationism? People offering sexual education? Access to abortions? Gay rights advocates?

Is that when you speak up and say "hey, wait a minute, nobody told me letting other people make these kinds of decisions meant someday it would affect people I don't think are bad guys"?
Because thats the point of that fucking Martin Niemöller quote. He's telling you that right fucking now.

also
/carepost

Cigarillo, eh? I like it. lol

It's an interesting discussion. Libertarians for instance actually support the right of these companies to ban whoever they please because they very strongly believe in the concept of property rights. I think they have a point to a degree in that allowing the government to have a bigger say in what or in whom private businesses do business with could be potentially dangerous further down the line.

However, the counter argument is the internet has become like the public square. It has increasingly become the place in which people gather to spread ideas and debate. These tech companies have got so big that they basically control the internet. What's more they're colluding with each other. So for example Sargon of Akkad was banned from patreon so he decided to move to SubscribeStar. Not so long after doing so PayPal pulled out from SubscribeStar leaving it without a payment processor. Alex Jones was banned almost simultaneously from multiple different platforms in a way that seems like they were colluding with each other. The libertarian argument would be to create a new platform that allows free speech to thrive, but that is not so easy when Silicon Valley pretty much has aa stranglehold on the internet. What happened to Gab is another example of how Silicon Valley has colluded with each other to topple a platform that is pro-free speech.

Should the internet be considered a public utility? Have platforms like Google got so big that they should be compelled to protect free speech?

It's a difficult question to answer because the issue of property rights and the right for privately owned businesses to decide who they do and don't want to business with is a valid one. On the other hand, silicon Valley has such stranglehold on the internet it is becoming increasingly difficult to provide alternatives that allow for the flourishing of different opinions and political viewpoints.

Tiops

« Reply #54204 on: January 16, 2019, 12:19:27 PM »
Defending the principles of free expression means being forced to defend shitheels who abuse free expression, because the principle is that important.
The ACLU don't like the idea that the Westboro Baptist Church will go to a dead veterans funeral and hold placards and shout at mourning relatives that they're glad their kid got killed because he was a cigarillo and god hates him, but they believe in the principle that they should be allowed to do that, as distasteful as that is.

Because thats what principles are. If they're worth anything at all they're not something you abandon when it becomes awkward or inconvenient to adhere to.

I know what you mean, I defend furries because I believe in the principle of respect for all people, but sometimes I wonder if it's worth the emotional toll. I feel like the public defender who is ethically forced to get a guilty client off on a technicality.

You can fight for the right of furries to exist, but that shouldn't stop you from making fun of them.

Jansen

« Reply #54206 on: January 16, 2019, 12:24:17 PM »
I don't give a fuck about you 50ppp pieces of shit you fucking fucker

I copy/paste the link cuz I'm crazy like that

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #54207 on: January 16, 2019, 12:25:10 PM »
Imagine arguing with a well-known and professionally certified transphobe, crack head, and cuckk like marrec  :joker
Margs

PogiJones

« Reply #54208 on: January 16, 2019, 12:32:27 PM »

Why even post a link here, with no quotes or anything, when the link doesn't work for anyone else? Is this thread your personal link journal?

marrec

« Reply #54209 on: January 16, 2019, 12:32:55 PM »
like I can afford a crack addition lol

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #54210 on: January 16, 2019, 12:32:59 PM »
Could you guys knot?

Leadbelly

« Reply #54211 on: January 16, 2019, 12:33:40 PM »
like I can afford a crack addition lol

Just get some meth instead. :p

PogiJones

« Reply #54212 on: January 16, 2019, 12:34:43 PM »
What is "cigarillo" I keep seeing? Is it a word filter? Or some slang I'm not aware of?

Edit : oh, I just figured it out from the context of the Westboro Baptist Church sentence
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:40:44 PM by PogiJones »

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #54213 on: January 16, 2019, 12:36:12 PM »
He didn’t deny the other two  :aweshum
Margs

Leadbelly

« Reply #54214 on: January 16, 2019, 12:37:16 PM »
What is "cigarillo" I keep seeing? Is it a word filter? Or some slang in not aware of?

I think it's a word filter for gay.

gay

Edit: not it isn't lol

cigarillo

edit 2: Ha, it's f.ag

agrajag

« Reply #54215 on: January 16, 2019, 12:39:42 PM »
Imagine arguing with a well-known and professionally certified transphobe, crack head, and cuckk like marrec  :joker

cukkk

Coitus

« Reply #54216 on: January 16, 2019, 12:39:47 PM »

But the point of Martin Niemöller's famous quote is if you let people you don't give a shit about get thrown under the bus, what happens when people you do care about are in the same position?
What, you're fine with people you don't even know with zero obligations to do anything but what they want to do be in charge of that?
Is it completely out of the realms of possibility that a fundamentalist religious organisation could buy a controlling stake in one of these publicly traded companies?
Then what do you do when they're 'deplatforming' things like teachers teaching the theory of evolution instead of creationism? People offering sexual education? Access to abortions? Gay rights advocates?

Is that when you speak up and say "hey, wait a minute, nobody told me letting other people make these kinds of decisions meant someday it would affect people I don't think are bad guys"?
Because thats the point of that fucking Martin Niemöller quote. He's telling you that right fucking now.

also
/carepost

It's an interesting discussion. Libertarians for instance actually support the right of these companies to ban whoever they please because they very strongly believe in the concept of property rights. I think they have a point to a degree in that allowing the government to have a bigger say in what or in whom private businesses do business with could be potentially dangerous further down the line.

However, the counter argument is the internet has become like the public square. It has increasingly become the place in which people gather to spread ideas and debate. These tech companies have got so big that they basically control the internet. What's more they're colluding with each other. So for example Sargon of Akkad was banned from patreon so he decided to move to SubscribeStar. Not so long after doing so PayPal pulled out from SubscribeStar leaving it without a payment processor. Alex Jones was banned almost simultaneously from multiple different platforms in a way that seems like they were colluding with each other. The libertarian argument would be to create a new platform that allows free speech to thrive, but that is not so easy when Silicon Valley pretty much has aa stranglehold on the internet. What happened to Gab is another example of how Silicon Valley has colluded with each other to topple a platform that is pro-free speech.

Should the internet be considered a public utility? Have platforms like Google got so big that they should be compelled to protect free speech?

It's a difficult question to answer because the issue of property rights and the right for privately owned businesses to decide who they do and don't want to business with is a valid one. On the other hand, silicon Valley has such stranglehold on the internet it is becoming increasingly difficult to provide alternatives that allow for the flourishing of different opinions and political viewpoints.

Just fucking type infowars.com into your browser and there you go.  All the Alex Jones you could ever want.  Type Sargon of Akkad into the youtube search, same deal. 

agrajag

« Reply #54217 on: January 16, 2019, 12:40:59 PM »
free speech != right to any platform you want

james

« Reply #54218 on: January 16, 2019, 12:41:11 PM »
What is "cigarillo" I keep seeing? Is it a word filter? Or some slang I'm not aware of?

Edit : oh, I just figured it out from the context of the Westboro Baptist Church sentence

That ones easy because its correct.

I dont get cheeseburger though

Jansen

« Reply #54219 on: January 16, 2019, 12:49:11 PM »

Why even post a link here, with no quotes or anything, when the link doesn't work for anyone else? Is this thread your personal link journal?

Why don't you smash ur keyboard in frustration and slash ur neck with the plastic

Jansen

« Reply #54220 on: January 16, 2019, 12:54:18 PM »
Everyone loves boss baby

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #54221 on: January 16, 2019, 12:55:29 PM »

You can fight for the right of furries to exist, but that shouldn't stop you from making fun of them.

That's the primary reason you fight for their right to exist

It would decrease the net amount of schadenfreude-based joy in the world
Uncle

marrec

« Reply #54222 on: January 16, 2019, 12:55:53 PM »
Boss Baby was a better movie than interstellar

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #54223 on: January 16, 2019, 12:59:25 PM »
Boss Baby was a better movie than interstellar

I will cut you.

Leadbelly

« Reply #54224 on: January 16, 2019, 01:00:57 PM »

also
/carepost

Just fucking type infowars.com into your browser and there you go.  All the Alex Jones you could ever want.  Type Sargon of Akkad into the youtube search, same deal.

I made two arguments and never came to a conclusion on which is the right one. I think both arguments have a point. And that makes it difficult to come to a conclusion on what to do exactly.

That said, it's the trend that is worrying. It's not easy for instance to provide videos that are going to reach an audience when video or streaming platforms will not host you. Alex Jones has increasingly run into that problem. No one will host him. Also in terms of payment processing, the same thing. PayPal will not allow him to use the service for instance.

In fact today another platform removed him.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46890014

It's not that it is impossible to create your own platform and service, it is that it is becoming increasingly difficult to create a service when you are having to rely on other platforms to provide that service. Heck, Google in the future could turn around and block all search results for Alex Jones if they wanted.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:33:50 PM by Leadbelly »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #54225 on: January 16, 2019, 01:03:46 PM »

Many of these companies have argued that they are legally equivalent to being utility companies so that they can benefit from 'safe harbour' provisions and not be held legally liable for the content that they host.

You can't sue Twitter for something somebody using Twitter says, as they have declared themselves legally exempt from having editorial control, whereas anything a newspaper prints a newspaper is legally liable for by contrast.

So it is certainly very convenient for these companies that they can absolve themselves from any legal liability for hosting content by claiming they have no editorial control, while simultaneously exerting editorial control over what content they allow to be hosted.

Leadbelly

« Reply #54226 on: January 16, 2019, 01:07:37 PM »

Many of these companies have argued that they are legally equivalent to being utility companies so that they can benefit from 'safe harbour' provisions and not be held legally liable for the content that they host.

You can't sue Twitter for something somebody using Twitter says, as they have declared themselves legally exempt from having editorial control, whereas anything a newspaper prints a newspaper is legally liable for by contrast.

So it is certainly very convenient for these companies that they can absolve themselves from any legal liability for hosting content by claiming they have no editorial control, while simultaneously exerting editorial control over what content they allow to be hosted.

Yeah. That's true. I've heard people argue that if they refuse to uphold free speech then they should be made to act as a publisher and liable for anything that is published on their platform.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #54228 on: January 16, 2019, 01:21:03 PM »
The patreon shit is the most concerning

Yes they need to remove scams, calls to violence, the most clear-cut instances of harassment

But when resetera's Tsampikos is allowed to ply his trade but political pundit morons like Sargon get banned?  what the fuck

Sargon is a buffoon but I've seen some of his videos and he's not at all dangerous or damaging toward anyone except maybe his own arguments

I don't care whether Alex Jones has a platform to host his rants or not but I do care when we get to the point of financial companies saying "I have decided this individual should not be able to earn money"
Uncle

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #54229 on: January 16, 2019, 01:22:00 PM »

Yeah. That's true. I've heard people argue that if they refuse to uphold free speech then they should be made to act as a publisher and liable for anything that is published on their platform.

Which when you consider the scope involved of overseeing the volume of content, is entirely unfeasible.
So the utility argument has merit, but an electric company can't be sued if, say, someone uses that electricity to run a brothel, or a meth lab, or to commit fraud.
Just as an electric company can't deny service to convicted felons, people on a sexual offenders register, or people propagating hate speech.
And most reasonable people would not consider that a 'problem' that needs to be 'fixed'.

marrec

« Reply #54230 on: January 16, 2019, 01:27:01 PM »

Yes they need to remove scams, calls to violence, the most clear-cut instances of harassment

But when resetera's Tsampikos is allowed to ply his trade but political pundit morons like Sargon get banned?  what the fuck

Sargon is a buffoon but I've seen some of his videos and he's not at all dangerous or damaging toward anyone except maybe his own arguments

I don't care whether Alex Jones has a platform to host his rants or not but I do care when we get to the point of financial companies saying "I have decided this individual should not be able to earn money"

The patreon shit is the same as the youtube shit they don't have to host anyone on their platform if they don't want too (barring protected classes and such), this just isn't that deep. The alternative, forcing companies to provide services to anyone, is far more egregiously unconstitutional than what we have now.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #54231 on: January 16, 2019, 01:29:44 PM »

I hope people like Ruben and Peterson, etc. find a place to set up shop, but Patreon can choose who they want to host, hypocritically or not.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
That Tsampikos person is a weirdo, but they're playing the game and playing it well. *shrugs*
[close]

Coitus

« Reply #54232 on: January 16, 2019, 01:33:06 PM »

Which when you consider the scope involved of overseeing the volume of content, is entirely unfeasible.
So the utility argument has merit, but an electric company can't be sued if, say, someone uses that electricity to run a brothel, or a meth lab, or to commit fraud.
Just as an electric company can't deny service to convicted felons, people on a sexual offenders register, or people propagating hate speech.
And most reasonable people would not consider that a 'problem' that needs to be 'fixed'.

The utility argument doesn't work because while an ISP is very much like a utility due to barriers to entry and a natural monopoly arising from the inherent wastefulness of laying multiple cable/Ethernet lines, a social media website or search engine is decidedly not.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #54233 on: January 16, 2019, 01:39:18 PM »

People pay for that shit?

Whither the liberal international order
🤴

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #54234 on: January 16, 2019, 01:39:29 PM »
censoring alex jones is an absolute crime against comedy.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #54235 on: January 16, 2019, 01:42:31 PM »
Alex Jones is the van Gogh or Jesus of our times.

Misunderstood, bullied and cast out. However in the future statues of Alex will rise and a religion will be founded based on his work.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #54236 on: January 16, 2019, 01:56:39 PM »
censoring alex jones is an absolute crime against comedy.
Gay Frogs-kind of shit is comedy gold.

"Sandy-Hook-is-a-hoax" shit is fucked and he should get fucked over for it.

Leadbelly

« Reply #54237 on: January 16, 2019, 01:59:20 PM »
I was thinking: what about a bank account? It is possible to live without one, but as a business, lets say, it's incredibly difficult to live without one. There is a number of legitimate reasons why a bank would freeze an account, but what about political opinion? What if banks started doing what tech companies were doing?

I don't know how you would solve it exactly, but I would certainly see a real problem there. This came to mind mainly because of PayPal banning people from their service.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #54238 on: January 16, 2019, 01:59:38 PM »

The utility argument doesn't work because while an ISP is very much like a utility due to barriers to entry and a natural monopoly arising from the inherent wastefulness of laying multiple cable/Ethernet lines, a social media website or search engine is decidedly not.

You don't consider Google, YouTube, Twitter or Facebook to have de facto monopolies, or you don't consider the cost of user acquisition and the necessary quantity of users to create critical mass for adoption a barrier to entry for competition?

james

« Reply #54239 on: January 16, 2019, 02:02:54 PM »
I was thinking: what about a bank account? It is possible to live without one, but as a business, lets say, it's incredibly difficult to live without one. There is a number of legitimate reasons why a bank would freeze an account, but what about political opinion? What if banks started doing what tech companies were doing?

I don't know how you would solve it exactly, but I would certainly see a real problem there. This came to mind mainly because of PayPal banning people from their service.

Its called cash bro