Author Topic: Wank Dad 2: Electric Wankaloo  (Read 608818 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Wank Dad 2: Electric Wankaloo
« Reply #6420 on: September 23, 2020, 12:01:11 AM »
crossover:
https://theintercept.com/2020/09/22/as-joe-rogans-platform-grows-so-does-the-media-and-liberal-backlash-why/
WHAT IS IT, by the standards of U.S. political and media orthodoxy, that makes Rogan so radioactive? In March, billionaire and former NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg — who spoke at the 2004 GOP Convention in the middle of the Iraq War and war on terror to urge the reelection of George W. Bush and Dick Cheney, and who presided over and repeatedly defended the racially disparate “stop and frisk” police practice — endorsed Joe Biden for president, and Biden not only accepted but celebrated the endorsement, praising Bloomberg in the process:

What are the standards that make Michael Bloomberg an acceptable endorsement to tout but not Joe Rogan, given that the billionaire three-term mayor and former Republican has taken far worse positions and done far more damage to far more people than the podcaster could ever dream of doing?

That question is even more compelling when it comes to the Biden/Harris campaign’s touting of the endorsement of former Republican Gov. Rick Snyder of Michigan, widely blamed for the criminally negligent lack of clean drinking water which plagued primarily African American residents of Flint, Michigan, for many years. Not only did the Biden campaign accept Snyder’s endorsement, but they issued a press release trumpeting it:

What makes all of this more confounding is that Rogan is a fairly basic political liberal on almost every issue: He believes in the need for greater social spending for the nation’s poor and working class, opposes war and militarism, favors drug legalization, is adamantly pro-choice and pro-LGBT rights, and generally adheres to liberal orthodoxies on standard political debates. That is why he was so fond of Bernie Sanders and Tulsi Gabbard, and why Andrew Yang — whose signature issue was the universal basic income — was one of the few candidates he deemed worth talking to.

The objections typically raised to Rogan concern his questioning of some of the very recent changes brought about by trans visibility and equality, particularly asking whether it is fair for trans women who have lived their entire lives and entered puberty as biological men to compete against cis women in professional sports (a question also asked — and even answered in the negative — by LGBT sports pioneer Martina Navratilova, among many others), and whether young children are emotionally and psychologically equipped to make permanent choices about gender reassignment therapies and gender dysphoria.

If embracing and never questioning the full panoply of trans advocacy is a prerequisite to being permitted in decent society, I seriously doubt many prominent Democratic politicians will pass that test (even Kamala Harris, from San Francisco and the very blue state of California, has a very mixed record on trans rights). Moreover, though polling data is sparse, the data that is available show that there is still much work to do in this area: Only a small minority of Americans believe it is fair to allow trans women to participate in female professional sports.

If the standard is that anyone who even entertains debates over the maximalist and most controversial questions in this very new and evolving social movement is to be cast out as radioactive, liberalism and the Democratic Party will be a very small group. It will also have to proceed without the vast majority of political leaders whom they currently follow. Even on this issue of trans rights, Rogan’s views are in accord with the standard Democratic Party view: He advocates full legal protection and dignity for the right of trans people to live with their gender respected.

The other critique centers on Rogan’s willingness to invite on his show various pundits with far-right views. That’s a bizarre criticism of someone who purposely hosts a program designed to foster dialogue with people across the political spectrum. After all, if one employs the blatantly irrational tactic of attributing to Rogan the views of all his guests, he would be simultaneously everything and nothing.

But again, this is a standard which few if any Democratic Party leaders could meet. Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and Bernie Sanders all went on Bill O’Reilly’s Fox News show, while Rep. Adam Schiff has appeared on Tucker Carlson’s program. Speaking with people with differing views is called politics and journalism, and if one is decreed radioactive for interacting with people with bad views, few will survive that standard. (Liberals also point to the fact that Rogan said he could not vote for Biden over Trump, but that was not on ideological grounds but based on the same narrative that Democratic political and media elites spent all of last year disseminating: namely, that Biden’s cognitive decline makes him unfit for the job.)

While Rogan is politically liberal, he is — argues former Obama 2008 campaign strategist and Rogan listener Shant Mesrobian — culturally conservative, by which he does not mean that Rogan holds conservative views on social issues (again, he is pro-choice and pro-LGBT rights). He means that Rogan exudes culturally conservative signals: He likes MMA fighting, makes crude jokes, hunts, and just generally fails to speak in the lingo of the professional managerial class and coastal elites. And it is those cultural standards, rather than political ones, that make Rogan anathema to elite liberal culture because, Mesrobian argued in a viral Twitter thread, liberals care far more about proper culture signaling than they do about the much harder and more consequential work of actual politics.

As Rogan’s platform grows, it is worthwhile to understand his appeal, his audience, and what he is doing that is new and different to attract such a large following. But it is also very worth examining the reaction to him by the political and media class because in that reaction, one finds many revealing attributes about how they think, what they value, and the priorities that they actually venerate. Today’s SYSTEM UPDATE on The Intercept’s You Tube channel with Mesrobian as my guest is devoted to examining those questions, or it can be viewed on the player below:

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #6421 on: September 23, 2020, 12:33:44 AM »

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #6424 on: September 24, 2020, 02:23:23 AM »
... you know what. Time to remove my The Intercept bookmark

edit: Also, Duke Ethics upload that Bari Weiss crap. I wanna see the shitshow.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6425 on: September 24, 2020, 04:45:38 AM »

*Telephone rings*
..."Shitlib" *clic*
"Honey, I think I'll vote Green."

https://twitter.com/allisongill/status/1308115412689715200

:walkaway

I shared my causes, and the things that meant a lot to me personally; something that I would later learn made me a vulnerable target for psychometric profiling

was shown key phrases by what I now know to be bots, trolls, and manipulated US Persons.

“McCarthyism”

foreign adversaries

Also, this was NOT an attack on the left or the right. It was an attack on America, and Americans.

Over time, I would remove myself slowly from those fake groups and gaslighting “friends”

I’ve obsessively studied Russian cyber warfare and social media manipulation

PS: for some great examples of what I’m talking about, one need look no further than some of the responses to this thread.

:spiders
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6426 on: September 24, 2020, 05:29:34 AM »
https://twitter.com/rossow_mark/status/1308134212059324416

Man that's a rad robot.

https://twitter.com/e_stentzel/status/1308188030021308423

Jill Stein might be on the ballot where you live in 2020 ! :derp
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6427 on: September 24, 2020, 05:45:41 AM »
Giant Gundam: $50 million?

Afghan war: $2.4 trillion

This Gundam may be the most spectacular waste of money in human history  :derp
🤴

Oblivion

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6429 on: September 24, 2020, 06:26:57 PM »
not clicking on that :killme
©@©™

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #6430 on: September 24, 2020, 06:27:54 PM »

:brain  :dead
◕‿◕

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #6431 on: September 24, 2020, 06:33:49 PM »
def the sorta dude you wouldn't want to leave your drink around for fear it will become spiked
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6432 on: September 24, 2020, 06:34:50 PM »
I preferred this take earlier this week
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6433 on: September 24, 2020, 07:00:00 PM »
Trump is too stupid to be racist, also he's mean to white people too. :killme
dog

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6435 on: September 25, 2020, 05:02:18 PM »
Bill Mitchell update, so-so news on the health front :

https://twitter.com/Orly_licious/status/1308882272431595532
ὕβρις

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #6436 on: September 25, 2020, 06:29:21 PM »
what's the probability he's just lying about having covid
每天生气

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6437 on: September 25, 2020, 06:32:56 PM »
what's the probability he's just lying about having covid

He's had a number of chronic problems so...
ὕβρις

benjipwns

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6439 on: September 26, 2020, 07:31:14 AM »
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #6440 on: September 26, 2020, 04:28:22 PM »
How do you shut down loose movements and ideologies?  :hmm

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #6442 on: September 26, 2020, 08:55:52 PM »
Oh God I cant wait for them to find the old last podcast on the left podcasts

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #6443 on: September 27, 2020, 01:27:53 AM »
Late last week, we first reported that Spotify employees were demanding direct editorial oversight over the recently-acquired Joe Rogan Experience podcast.  That would include the ability to directly edit or remove sections of upcoming interviews, or block the uploading of episodes deemed problematic. The employees also demanded the ability to add trigger warnings, corrections, and references to fact-checked articles on topics discussed by Rogan in the course of his multi-hour discussions.

Some of the group’s demands have already been met by Spotify management, though a refusal to allow further changes is stirring talk of a high-profile walkout or strike.

So that's why they skipped all the older episodes. I always figured it was Spotify being risk-averse. It looks like they've already walked back some of the exclusions though, so maybe the strike is going to happen.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikhailaAleksis/status/1300898458346369033

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #6444 on: September 27, 2020, 03:17:21 AM »
Who wants the job of going through all these Rogan episodes to go through a checklist of what you would trigger warn or fact check or decide what needs to be omitted. That sounds like grade A torture. I'd demand to be payed 100K for that job.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #6445 on: September 27, 2020, 03:20:18 AM »
If you’re the kind of person who needs trigger warnings why would you be listening to joe rogan in the first place :trumps
(ice)

benjipwns

« Reply #6446 on: September 29, 2020, 06:20:39 PM »
https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2020/09/29/author-apologizes-inside-higher-ed-article-he-recently-wrote-opinion
Matthew J. Mayhew apologizes for an article that he recently wrote for Inside Higher Ed and describes beginning a long process of antiracist learning.
I recently led a piece in Inside Higher Ed titled “Why America Needs College Football.” I am sorry for the hurt, sadness, frustration, fatigue, exhaustion and pain this article has caused anyone, but specifically Black students in the higher education community and beyond.

I am struggling to find the words to communicate the deep ache for the damage I have done. I don’t want to write anything that further deepens the pain experienced by my ignorance related to Black male athletes and the Black community at any time, but especially in light of the national racial unrest. I also don’t want to write anything that suggests that antiracist learning is quick or easy. This is the beginning of a very long process, one that started with learning about the empirical work related to Black college football athletes.

Rather than make excuses, I should talk about which facets of the article that I have recently learned are harmful -- through my students, wider social media community and distinguished academics like Donna Ford, Joy Gaston Gayles and Gilman Whiting.

I learned that I could have titled the piece “Why America Needs Black Athletes.” I learned that Black men putting their bodies on the line for my enjoyment is inspired and maintained by my uninformed and disconnected whiteness and, as written in my previous article, positions student athletes as white property. I have learned that I placed the onus of responsibility for democratic healing on Black communities whose very lives are in danger every single day and that this notion of “democratic healing” is especially problematic since the Black community can’t benefit from ideals they can’t access. I have learned that words like “distraction” and “cheer” erase the present painful moments within the nation and especially the Black community.

Upon such beginnings of reflection, I have also learned that my love for Black athletes on the field doesn’t translate into love within the larger community -- that I have been dismissive of Black lives in moments not athletically celebrated. I have learned that I have taken pleasure in events that ask Black athletes to put their bodies on the line and take physical risks. I have been entertained by Black men who often are conditioned by society and structural racism in ways that lure them into athletics where the odds of making it are slim to none.

I am just beginning to understand how I have harmed communities of color with my words. I am learning that my words -- my uninformed, careless words -- often express an ideology wrought in whiteness and privilege. I am learning that my commitment to diversity has been performative, ignoring the pain the Black community and other communities of color have endured in this country. I am learning that I am not as knowledgeable as I thought I was, not as antiracist as I thought I was, not as careful as I thought I was. For all of these, I sincerely apologize.

I know it’s not anyone’s job to forgive me, but I ask for it -- another burden of a white person haunted by his ignorance. To consider the possible hurt I have played a role in, the scores of others whose pain I didn’t fully see, aches inside me -- a feeling different and deeper than the tears and emotions I’ve experienced being caught in an ignorant racist moment.

To all communities of color and especially the Black community, I am sorry for causing pain by ignoring yours. I really hate the idea of hurting anyone. I hate that I have done this: if I had not ignored the pain of so many, this article would have never been written. I hate that my students have to carry my ignorant racist energy with them at all times. I hate that I brought a graduate student into this space with me as a co-author: Musbah Shaheen, I am sorry. I hate the fact that I have hurt my colleagues at Ohio State and the field of higher education, especially Black scholars whose careers have been spent studying Black lives. I am sorry for ignoring your scholarship. I hate that I have let down my Black friends and friends of color, whom I love.

I am immeasurably grateful to the grace extended by Donna, Joy and Gilman and for their willingness to work with me on these issues. I know they are taking a risk by partnering with me on this pathway. I know that they are carrying a burden by even taking any time with me. I want to thank them.

To really begin the long process of antiracist learning, I am designing a plan for change, for turning the “I am sorry” to “I will change” -- for moving Black Lives Matter from a motto to a pathway from ignorance and toward authentic advocacy. To do this, a colleague of mine asked me to center the question: What can I do to unlearn patterns that hurt and harm Black communities and other communities of color? My center is as a learner, so movement for me will involve unlearning and relearning by listening, reading, dialoguing, reflecting and writing as a means for increasing my awareness and knowledge about systemic racism and the experiences of people of color and people who hold marginalized identities different from my own. I need time to reflect on the specifics of this plan, which includes accountability measures, and I am hoping news media like Inside Higher Ed will consider working with me and others on pieces that come from its enaction.

To be clear, no one should ever put their bodies on the line for entertainment. To be clear, football -- like COVID-19 -- places Black bodies at disproportional risk. To be clear, experts are not immune to ignorance. To be clear, no one can be antiracist and ignore Black pain and that of other communities of color.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6447 on: September 29, 2020, 07:05:55 PM »
🤴

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #6448 on: September 30, 2020, 03:52:17 PM »
Scott Adams finally realized Trump is not a master of persuasion after he was unable to denounce white supremacy last night.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6449 on: September 30, 2020, 04:00:26 PM »
I wonder if Rogan is going to throw Trump under the bus next.

Leaving in droves, anime betrayals etc.
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6450 on: September 30, 2020, 04:01:42 PM »
Scott Adams finally realized Trump is not a master of persuasion after he was unable to denounce white supremacy last night.

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1310573198413410304
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6452 on: September 30, 2020, 04:42:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/glennbeck/status/1310008753236967424

Cursed collab.

Like the Congresswoman, Mr. Beck is a believer that the federal government has been overrun by the interests of Islamic extremists. Speaking on his Internet distributed program, Beck said, “We have been sold to radical Islam. It has infiltrated and we have documented it.”
ὕβρις

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #6453 on: September 30, 2020, 06:42:11 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6454 on: September 30, 2020, 06:53:31 PM »

:trumps
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #6457 on: October 01, 2020, 01:46:42 PM »
https://twitter.com/danielledsouzag/status/1311680710273626133
Ultra shit take and I sort of hate myself for knowing it relates to Chrissy Tiegen because she keeps getting shoved in face. But trying to turn her sad and unfortunate circumstance into a pro-life argument from this lady is a major thumbs down.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6458 on: October 01, 2020, 02:03:32 PM »
https://twitter.com/danielledsouzag/status/1311680710273626133
Ultra shit take and I sort of hate myself for knowing it relates to Chrissy Tiegen because she keeps getting shoved in face. But trying to turn her sad and unfortunate circumstance into a pro-life argument from this lady is a major thumbs down.

That Twitter feed is pure poison.
ὕβρις

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #6459 on: October 01, 2020, 06:06:57 PM »
Looks like the greatest comedy tour of the 21st century is over  :(

https://www.twitter.com/ZTPetrizzo/status/1311776679329660934

Skullfuckers Anonymous

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6462 on: October 04, 2020, 05:40:51 PM »
Those deep fakes are incredible !
ὕβρις

Oblivion

« Reply #6463 on: October 05, 2020, 02:13:49 AM »

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #6464 on: October 05, 2020, 02:27:50 AM »
Not sure how much Boris Johnson (UK) changed his tune on Covid, but Jair Bolsenaro (Brazil) remained just as brash about Covid.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6465 on: October 07, 2020, 07:17:01 AM »

Scott Adams is an idiot. He had a great bit, some time ago, about how people are all idiots and geniuses, it's just a matter of percentages of time spent in each mode. In the past few years, he's been modally locked.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6466 on: October 07, 2020, 01:19:08 PM »
Scott Adams couldn't really find a new audience in the modern internet age.
Then he came up with the Trump master persuasion and Hillary Clinton campaign mole theory and got a following and a bunch of interviews on TV.

He doubled down on that smug persona explaining what was happening to the world and politics after the election.
He also mixed in his personal life of 'succes' such as chasing girlfriends much younger than him using the same 'linguistic kill-shots' and 'master persuasion' that Trump tapped into.

He essentially turned himself into a comic book character to sell more of his books and start-up ideas which all went surprisingly nowhere considering his master persuasion skills.

I think he tapped into something interesting at first but then it just became another repetitive grift.
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6467 on: October 11, 2020, 10:24:10 PM »

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #6468 on: October 12, 2020, 12:30:52 AM »
That escalated quickly  :lol

Tripon

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Skullfuckers Anonymous

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6472 on: October 13, 2020, 02:01:27 PM »
dog

Tripon

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #6474 on: October 16, 2020, 04:58:57 PM »
Watched Dinesh D’Snooza’s latest film this weekend. Here’s the two best scenes from it.

https://www.twitter.com/PratushSayan/status/1315677117133152258

There’s another interview where the guy claims that Iran and Isis are using mind control on top people in US media, but I can’t find the clip online.

benjipwns

« Reply #6475 on: October 17, 2020, 01:54:00 AM »
The OG asks:
https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/why-is-wokeness-winning
A question I’ve wrestled with this past year or so is a pretty basic one: if critical race/gender/queer theory is unfalsifiable postmodern claptrap, as I have long contended, how has it conquered so many institutions so swiftly?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6476 on: October 17, 2020, 02:25:31 PM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/10/alt-right-star-racist-propagandist-has-no-regrets/616725/

Hutcheson looked uneasy as his girlfriend continued to talk about her career ambitions. “All of us Europeans have the responsibility to reproduce,” he interjected.

Southern looked down at her plate. “That’s a very cold way of putting it,” she responded. “Do you want to have a family for the sake of love or just because it’s a duty thing?”

“Motherhood is to women as war is to men,” her boyfriend replied stolidly. “I want to serve my nation.”

All the twists and turns in this piece :jeb
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6477 on: October 19, 2020, 06:10:15 AM »

Not sure where to post this but :neogaf
ὕβρις

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #6478 on: October 19, 2020, 07:16:34 AM »
Incredible. Adding this to my "music to laugh at" playlist. Will fit nicely in between "The Bitch Came Back" by Theory of a Deadman and "Burn It to the Ground" by Nickelback.

Skullfuckers Anonymous