Author Topic: Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (translator's note: Sekiro means ninja fuckery)  (Read 91478 times)

Coax

Re: Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (translator's note: Sekiro means ninja fuckery)
« Reply #480 on: April 05, 2019, 11:07:57 PM »
I still haven't beaten O'Rin.  :doge

Some tips

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I found that continuously strafing/running around her at a distance without stopping was effective without taking much damage. Either in circles or left/right then drifting within range just as she finishes her swiping motions for a couple hits before drifting back and strafing again. She pretty much sticks to the same attack pattern so it's predictable.

Being more motionless just allows her to zoom in for hits and even deflecting her hits hurts one's posture since she sometimes follows up with more swipes at close range.

An initial stealth deathblow is also possible by getting behind her then throwing oil at her back. Aiming is a little inconsistent but once she's hit the deathblow indicator appears (though since she lurches forward the indicator is only visible for a brief period). If you miss it you can always quit and reload.
[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #481 on: April 05, 2019, 11:26:16 PM »
Did the stealth attack trick and then cheesed her.
Her "fight" was utter shit, almost made me drop the game (still might, lol).
I still don't understand what you were supposed to do to fight her legit, 'cause i kept blocking and parrying 90% of her attacks (after 20 tries i memorized them the hard way) and yet still couldn't get her posture up, and could only chip away at her health bit by bit.
This isn't what i signed up for!  :stop
I said i wouldn't play another FROM game with 50 minutes long fights, ffs.

Anyway, at least i downed Lady Butterfly on my first try, and Genichiro on my 3rd (probably cause i'm overpowered, since i cleared every mini boss i could up to that point), had fun with those two, tho.

But yeah, having to cheese that absolute-ectoplasmic-cunt, sort of soured me on the game, so i'll probably take a break of a day or two.  >:(

Coax

« Reply #482 on: April 05, 2019, 11:44:53 PM »
50 minutes? Damn. Maybe my attack power is just a point or two higher or something but without parrying anything (or barely) and just using strafing + a few hits right as she ends her swipes with those upward poses it only took like 3-5 minutes (after a few tries with this technique).

Engaging with her while she's attacking and deflecting blows just lead to my posture being broken and taking damage so I found the method described above worked for me, basically avoiding her attacks.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #483 on: April 06, 2019, 12:09:27 AM »
I think i had +1 attack power (horse guy was the only real boss i had done, i believe).
50 min was what it felt like  :-*, it was probably closer to 15, but it still felt like i was blocking blocking blocking and getting a couple of hits in, but the posture would just empty so quickly.
I dunno, it was getting on my nerves, because she has a very limited attack sets, and so it didn't feel like i was learning anything from one attempt to the next.

With Genichiro, for example, every time i lost i felt like i learned something new from a mistake, so it didn't feel bad dying like that.
With her, it felt like, nope i guess i just gotta keep doing this but for longer. It's what i did, and took "forever" (figuratively) but just wasn't fun at all.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #484 on: April 06, 2019, 03:50:34 AM »
Super easy boss.
No need to rub it in.  :'(
Anyway, i hate "run around in circle" strategies, tbh, the fun with the game, for me, comes from the parry and posture system (even if i suck at it).

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #485 on: April 06, 2019, 05:09:17 AM »
Borys misgendering the corrupt monk. :'(

Coax

« Reply #486 on: April 06, 2019, 05:10:42 AM »
Discovered there's a method to beat the CM (True form) boss like a minute. Lmao wut. It's even a legit tactic. Doing it this way makes it the easiest boss in the game and second easiest fight besides

the fog temple priest guy
[close]

Thanks, From :doge

Impressions of new area + a couple screenshots

Visuals took a massive dive in general which struck me the most. Lighting is even flatter than the winter season earlier in the game, LoD isn't so hot (in other regions things like mountains/trees/haze obscure this), and layout is bland.

Enemy design so far is so-so, though the spear and archers look better. Feels so different from the rest of the game.

Not without some occasional flashes of nice visuals though

[close]

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #487 on: April 06, 2019, 05:19:42 AM »
Someone still have a throwaway Resetera account so you can make a "Where all the black people at in Sekiro" thread? Don't see what makes this excempt from the same kind of treatment Kingdom Come got.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #488 on: April 06, 2019, 05:23:18 AM »
keep shit in the shit thread please, thanks

also clearly you haven't met jinzaemon
[close]
每天生气

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #489 on: April 06, 2019, 07:15:51 AM »
Why did I lure the guy.. fuck didnt want to do that
What

kingv

« Reply #490 on: April 06, 2019, 12:59:33 PM »
I’m at the blazing bull and having a time of it. He’s quite hard to dodge.

Himu

« Reply #491 on: April 06, 2019, 01:06:49 PM »

The secret is don't dodge. Just run. You have no stamina bar so no penalty. Lock on,  run, and chase him. When he whiffs, punish. Repeat.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #492 on: April 06, 2019, 01:38:05 PM »
?

are you on NG+
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #493 on: April 06, 2019, 01:55:07 PM »
Like Cindi said, run instead of dodging, also if you stay on his ass, he shouldn't have any attacks to hurt you, only if you're on his side/front.
Only use the dodge if you find yourself on his side, to move more to his back.

If you find yourself directly in front of him, and he starts to charge, double jump towards him, and you should vault over him, if you time it right.

Also get the firecrackers, you stagger him for a couple of seconds with those, but you can't spam them, i think once every 15 seconds or so, is the best you can do (?) someone correct me if i'm wrong here.

shosta

« Reply #494 on: April 06, 2019, 03:08:45 PM »
His head takes more damage.
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #495 on: April 06, 2019, 03:38:14 PM »
I noticed he bends his head when he turns. Good time to attack? Idk. I thought that boss was terribly designed.
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #496 on: April 06, 2019, 03:47:32 PM »
it is a good time to attack. it is also a shitty boss in general, not a favorite.
每天生气

Coax

« Reply #497 on: April 07, 2019, 07:27:31 AM »
Btw random tip from the loading screen I'd never seen before and wasn't aware of previously: hold either Left or Right D-pad to immediately go to the first item (eg: Gourd).

Himu

« Reply #498 on: April 07, 2019, 11:27:58 AM »
Already knew that one from the Sekiro tips vid I posted
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #499 on: April 07, 2019, 12:58:16 PM »
are you shitting me with that trash camera in final boss 3rd phase?  :iface

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #500 on: April 07, 2019, 02:34:25 PM »
My brother just beat the guy, seemed like a pain in the ass (though at least not a shit fight like Demon of Hatred).

kingv

« Reply #501 on: April 07, 2019, 03:03:00 PM »
I'm grinding mobs (8000 XP in about 4 minutes) till I get 20 Attack Power before trying the last 3 boss fights (LISS, O2, DoH). Every little bit, little percentage helps and I already have 65 hours on the save file so already got my money's worth.

Can't say I will even finish this game and that kind of sucks. Oh well... already started Guacamelee! 2 in the meantime.

You can grind attack power?! I thought it was a boss drop.

shosta

« Reply #502 on: April 07, 2019, 03:29:48 PM »
that's a spoiler
每天生气

paprikastaude

« Reply #503 on: April 07, 2019, 05:30:13 PM »
first time ever I'm having zero progress after several hours - but only because the camera can't keep up with the main attack of the boss halfway through :lol designer of this deserves his hands broken. there's already been some other times the developers didn't understand that their camera is trash (i.e. every time they were idiotic enough to put a mini boss in small corridors), but at least that was few and far between and not that tedious to manage.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 05:41:38 PM by Spieler1 »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #504 on: April 07, 2019, 10:35:42 PM »
first time ever I'm having zero progress after several hours - but only because the camera can't keep up with the main attack of the boss halfway through :lol designer of this deserves his hands broken. there's already been some other times the developers didn't understand that their camera is trash (i.e. every time they were idiotic enough to put a mini boss in small corridors), but at least that was few and far between and not that tedious to manage.
This seems to be a common problem in FROM games.
Everytime you had to fight a big beast in BB (which is most of them) locking-on made it a shit show.

Coax

« Reply #505 on: April 07, 2019, 11:02:09 PM »
HUD mod that allows disabling various indicators such as awareness markers, stealth crouch vignettes, etc. I use DS4 button UI mod so good to see more HUD tweaks available.

The 21:9 mod I'm using already includes and kind of necessitates disabling the stealth vignette and low health indicators since they're in 16:9 ratio but even without that mod I'd appreciate such options.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #506 on: April 08, 2019, 05:31:23 AM »
Almost got the optional super boss (Bloodborne's Blood-starved Beast). He is super easy compared to the Final Boss (still not dead) and the other optional one (still not dead - I cannot even touch him before he kills me, WTF?!?)

RE: Attack Power

Upgrading it is A MISTAKE. I upgraded to 20 after 4 hours grind and it just does not make any difference. What I gathered on the web is that it increases by like 1% each step... Attack Power 99 means you area dealing exactly 2x the damage that on Attack Power 11 (mega WTF).

In other words: do not grind for Attack Power. I would already have the All Skills Trophy in New Game 0 (!!!) if I didn't waste those 45 Skill Points on AP, eh. Now I need 50 000 EXP for 1 Skill Point so like 50-hour grind.... GTFO.

Bad vibes thread.

Well.... For you. It's making me laugh my ass off. Like the thread.

kingv

« Reply #507 on: April 08, 2019, 10:49:39 AM »
Beat down the flaming bull after a few more tries.

Camera sucks so bad in that fight, that I was actually having even more trouble with the no lock on method.

I ended up beating him primarily by partying his ass on a charge, dodging to his back and punishing.

I never even got the burning status effect up.

I need to figure out what to do next

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #508 on: April 08, 2019, 06:25:17 PM »
Contemplating on buying this game. I never got into the 'Souls' games but I finished Ninja Gaiden 2 on Master Ninja back in the day.  :doge
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #509 on: April 08, 2019, 07:21:29 PM »
Ninja gaiden 2 is the easy one tho can u finish ngb
What

Coax

« Reply #510 on: April 09, 2019, 04:06:54 AM »
Empowered Mortal Draw doesn't seem worth it from videos I've seen. I have enough spare skill points (25) to be able to obtain it with a little more farming but the delay to charge appears like twice as long as Mortal Draw and doesn't seem to deal a terrible amount of damage so idk.

In terms of combat arts so far Shadowrush and Mortal Draw have been the most useful. Any other suggestions on what to spend it on? Haven't delved into the monk skill tree, anything useful there?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:23:28 AM by Coax »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #511 on: April 09, 2019, 05:25:58 AM »
Tried
Owl 1
[close]
4 or so times, only once got to the second phase.  :doge
Honestly it's probably my favorite fight so far, despite being harder than anything i've fought up to this point.
I like fights where you have to parry, against other humanoids, instead of big monsters where you have to run around for 2 hours.

Also since we're speaking prosthetics, i found the shield incredibly useful, it made the fight against Snake Eyes almost trivial (almost), as you can just nullify her grab move by deploying it, no timing required.
Axe was great against shielded enemies (including those annoying af blackhats) and against the ROBERTOOOO guy, too.

The only one that really disappointed me so far, was the mist raven thing.

Everything else i've used here and there, and i always try to integrate them as much as i can with bosses, it's half the fun for me.

Coax

« Reply #512 on: April 09, 2019, 05:47:40 AM »
Axe was great against shielded enemies (including those annoying af blackhats) and against the ROBERTOOOO guy, too.

Latter is my fav mini boss. Interestingly despite not really enjoying the fight per se I think I appreciated the background to O'Rin second-most. The grace, subtle music, admirer story. Was a nice mix.

As for combat arts I probably find them more useful than tools for fights where it counts, especially since they can continue to be utilized without emblems. Attack power upgrades past a certain point seem to be not be worth it though, for sure. Tested with a couple skill point conversions just prior to Borys' post and found it didn't change the damage noticeably so have just been accumulating them since. Have to spend them on something!

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #513 on: April 09, 2019, 03:00:21 PM »
While i like prosthetics and combat arts, and think they are mostly useful (in selected situations, and depending on play style, clearly), i can't say the same for objects in this game.

Much like SoulsBorne, the constant autosaving means that using an object that can't be infinitely bought or refilled indefinitely, is to throw it away, 90% of the time.
This just pushes you to never even consider using stuff like Parsimmons and similar "rare" items, because you'll probably die anyway, and just might as well learn to do the boss without 'em.
It's just such a stupid design choice.

I'm fine with having only 1 of X rare object in the whole game, but if i die in any one attempt, i should get it back at least.

The way it is now, you just throw it in the pile of "too rare to use" items, and eventually get so good, that they wouldn't make a difference anyhow.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #514 on: April 09, 2019, 04:06:14 PM »
The only one that really disappointed me so far, was the mist raven thing.
Being able to avoid damage and then teleport above an enemy for multiple free hits is pretty great tbh. Its been my go-to for quite a few mini-bosses.

Svejk

« Reply #516 on: April 09, 2019, 07:31:41 PM »
If Sekiro added big Anime titties, they would be the hardest boss ever.

bluemax

« Reply #517 on: April 10, 2019, 03:25:30 AM »

Anyone still playing FROM games in 2019 should know that the camera is gonna be trash. FROM either doesn't give a fuck or is somehow incapable of hiring someone capable of programming a working camera system.
NO

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #518 on: April 10, 2019, 05:32:22 AM »
While i like prosthetics and combat arts, and think they are mostly useful (in selected situations, and depending on play style, clearly), i can't say the same for objects in this game.

Much like SoulsBorne, the constant autosaving means that using an object that can't be infinitely bought or refilled indefinitely, is to throw it away, 90% of the time.
This just pushes you to never even consider using stuff like Parsimmons and similar "rare" items, because you'll probably die anyway, and just might as well learn to do the boss without 'em.
It's just such a stupid design choice.

I'm fine with having only 1 of X rare object in the whole game, but if i die in any one attempt, i should get it back at least.

The way it is now, you just throw it in the pile of "too rare to use" items, and eventually get so good, that they wouldn't make a difference anyhow.

It's been this way since Demon's Souls. I appreciate it very much because it is the unique flavour of the genre.

However, since FROM SOFTWARE under Activision pressure caved in and removed two distinct flavours of the genre in Sekiro:

- no pause button
- falling off the cliffs

While adding:

- Call of Duty UI markers
- music in the overworld

I expect the next FROM game (whatever that will be) will also find a way to dumb down/ mainstream the unique Items Usage either via save states or some other means. And the next game from that will also feature a minimap!

In 15 years they will destroy the genre they have created.

FROM GIVETH
FROM TAKETH
A lot of FROM staples design choices, were dumb shit, anyway. :yeshrug

I doubt adding music and a pause button were Activision's pressuring, but they are appreciated.
Not every FROM game has to be a carbon copy of Demon's Souls till the end of time.

kingv

« Reply #519 on: April 10, 2019, 12:21:56 PM »
Hot take:

From software gameplay, in general, isn’t really that good.

They just made it so you can only take 7 hits total, or two from a boss.

I like Senior pretty well, but I’m not sure that I think the combat and systems are great... so much as they are just very tense because the margin of error is so low.

The camera is utter dog shit though. It’s the most dangerous enemy.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #520 on: April 10, 2019, 12:50:18 PM »
So last boss has 4 phases.

Phase 2 is the easiest - he almost did not touch me and I can see it being beaten with 0 hits. But Phase 3... ... ... ...  come the fuck on. *When* are you supposed to damage him? Can't find an opening. And there is still Phase 4, jeez. Guess leave Firecrackers for the last phase because Kunai doesn't work shit on him.

People have already beaten the game with no hits. You arent special, nerd
fat

shosta

« Reply #521 on: April 10, 2019, 06:56:04 PM »
No gourds, spirit emblems, or resurrects left. One hit left till dying. Well done... Sekiro.
每天生气

Coax

« Reply #522 on: April 11, 2019, 12:02:38 AM »
However, since FROM SOFTWARE under Activision pressure caved in and removed two distinct flavours of the genre in Sekiro.

I expect the next FROM game (whatever that will be) will also find a way to dumb down/ mainstream the unique Items Usage either via save states or some other means. And the next game from that will also feature a minimap!

In 15 years they will destroy the genre they have created.

I mean, for several pages you admitted Sekiro is a 'pure action' game, distinctly different from their previous number of games ('*NOT* a Soulsbourne', emphasis yours) to now saying they're destroying the 'genre they created' with things like optional music and a pause function. If it's intended as its own thing and not another Souls entry I don't see the problem, really.

About the one useful thing that could have been added from that list is optional awareness markers, a setting found in most stealth-action games, though one can always disable the HUD entirely or if on PC use a mod. Not ideal but hardly sky is falling for the type of game they made.

paprikastaude

« Reply #523 on: April 11, 2019, 07:49:14 AM »
They didn't remove anything, they made a new IP.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #524 on: April 11, 2019, 10:45:53 AM »
Genichiro on top of the Castle 1st try in NG+, LOL. Every boss up to him as well. Game is mega easy in NG+.
How much is the lack of Kuro's charm affecting you? Figure that's how the game was meant to be played, to avoid parry spamming.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #525 on: April 11, 2019, 01:58:11 PM »
Friend, I do not parry. The only times I used this mechanic is Monk and Centipiedes. So I cannot answer your question. Everything has more health but kinda takes the same amount of hits as in NG0. You take lots of damage but you have 10 Prayer Necklaces so it evens out.

So you are just playing this as a hack & slash?

Are you having difficulty parrying? Just mash fucking L1 or L2 or whatevs
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #526 on: April 11, 2019, 02:26:54 PM »
https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1116358989158154243

That Activision marketing? Sold faster than all Dark Souls games.

Coax

« Reply #527 on: April 11, 2019, 10:08:46 PM »
Steelbook arrived :hyper

Beside my only other gaming Steelbook from The Witcher 3. Heights don't match for some reason but whatchagonnado.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #528 on: April 12, 2019, 12:40:40 AM »
Heights don't match for some reason but whatchagonnado.
Bluray format for Sekiro, classic dvd format for Witcher, it looks like.
Anyway, i like the Sekiro one, i don't think the clean white, fits Watcher's tone all that much, but the art is great.

Coax

« Reply #529 on: April 12, 2019, 06:39:32 AM »
Bluray format for Sekiro, classic dvd format for Witcher, it looks like.
Anyway, i like the Sekiro one, i don't think the clean white, fits Watcher's tone all that much, but the art is great.

The Witcher one has a subtle light gray watercolor texture to it though probably can't be seen there (also both the expansions used pure white backgrounds for their promotional art so I suppose it's not that unusual but I can see where you're coming from).

Wish Dishonored 2 had a more interesting Steelbook as I had such an enjoyable time with it (the architecture, interior and object designs ).

kingv

« Reply #530 on: April 12, 2019, 11:24:16 PM »
I went back to the reservoir after the bull and killed some dude in a well... and then I found a guy by the pagoda young boi was in... is there anything else to do in that area?

Coax

« Reply #531 on: April 13, 2019, 12:34:37 AM »
I went back to the reservoir after the bull and killed some dude in a well... and then I found a guy by the pagoda young boi was in... is there anything else to do in that area?

The only other thing in that general direction is the enemy past the bridge at that point in the game.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 12:44:14 AM by Coax »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John

chronovore

• relapsed dev

paprikastaude

« Reply #534 on: April 13, 2019, 08:19:37 AM »
Current Speedrun WR

- 27 minutes 8 secs
- by Distortion
- Horse skip
- Bull skip
- stealth deathblow of Corrupted Monk (!)
- tanks Ape's terror attack (!)
- crazy Snek skip/ glitch

:bow2 :bow2 :bow2

Current No-Damage Run

- 1h 41 minutes
- by Faraaz (the guy that did Sigrun LVL1 no damage)

:bow :bow :bow

The English translation seems pretty off, to say the least. Owl ending with "that's my boy"? :jeanluc

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #535 on: April 13, 2019, 11:53:27 PM »
Senpou Temple and Fountainhead Palace might be two of my favorite From areas, at least visually.

I think Bloodborne is still my favorite overall but this game is damn good. Better than any Dark Souls IMO.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #536 on: April 14, 2019, 03:17:36 AM »
Current Speedrun WR

- 27 minutes 8 secs
- by Distortion
- Horse skip
- Bull skip
- stealth deathblow of Corrupted Monk (!)
- tanks Ape's terror attack (!)
- crazy Snek skip/ glitch

:bow2 :bow2 :bow2

Current No-Damage Run

- 1h 41 minutes
- by Faraaz (the guy that did Sigrun LVL1 no damage)

:bow :bow :bow

These people are machines

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #537 on: April 14, 2019, 04:46:33 PM »
Currently doing NG+ without Kuro's Charm. Chip damage takes this game to another level.
zzzzz

kingv

« Reply #538 on: April 14, 2019, 08:14:17 PM »
The thing that wears me out with this game is the same thing that does it in dark souls.

I get stuck on a boss and end up getting frustrated with repeating the journey to the boss.

Really feeling it on Drunk Boi and the ninja hunter on the bridge (who is actually ended up just skipping).

Drawing out every enemy is just so painful.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #539 on: April 14, 2019, 08:49:42 PM »
The thing that wears me out with this game is the same thing that does it in dark souls.

I get stuck on a boss and end up getting frustrated with repeating the journey to the boss.

Really feeling it on Drunk Boi and the ninja hunter on the bridge (who is actually ended up just skipping).

Drawing out every enemy is just so painful.
Those are probably the worst boss trips in the game if it helps.
Most bosses later on have a bonfire next to them, or near next to them.

There are still a couple of mini bosses with annoying paths to them, but they're the minority (plus it usually means you can sneak and stealth kill one bar away, at least.