Author Topic: Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (translator's note: Sekiro means ninja fuckery)  (Read 91431 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Re: Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (translator's note: Sekiro means ninja fuckery)
« Reply #300 on: March 27, 2019, 02:55:34 PM »
I'm having a blast watching others play this game and how our play styles are entirely different.

Look at this shit.

Damn this guy is a true shinobi
What

Himu

« Reply #301 on: March 27, 2019, 04:33:22 PM »
Headless :lupe
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #302 on: March 27, 2019, 04:47:17 PM »
Came back from work, bright eyed and bushy tailed, to defeat the piece of shit midboss that I couldnt beat last night with no healing needed this time  :punch
:9

Freyj

« Reply #303 on: March 27, 2019, 05:05:10 PM »
4th try. Still hit & run tactics :( which made it a 20 minute fight - same as Drunkard. I cannot parry shit. Hopefully I can defeat the final boss fight... somehow :-\

:what

pls record the final boss if you do this

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #304 on: March 27, 2019, 05:13:14 PM »
Im at the castle and also need to do the boss Borys was on ( Lady B ).

Gonna get this shit done tonight!
What

Himu

« Reply #305 on: March 27, 2019, 05:24:46 PM »
Can you kill the snake
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #306 on: March 27, 2019, 05:44:49 PM »
Sell me on Bloodborne. Will be my next From game.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #307 on: March 27, 2019, 05:48:15 PM »

We will do no such thing and yet you shall purchase it nonetheless

What

Himu

« Reply #308 on: March 27, 2019, 05:52:23 PM »

We will do no such thing and yet you shall purchase it nonetheless

I SAID SELL ME ON IT
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #309 on: March 27, 2019, 07:05:30 PM »
Even I have Bloodborne and didn't even want it.  :doge
spoiler (click to show/hide)
PS Plus freebie  :P
[close]

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #310 on: March 27, 2019, 07:39:03 PM »
Stuck on Jurou the Drunk but there’s a side path that leads to another part of the estate and I’m going to explore that.

Where’s the side path?

Himu

« Reply #311 on: March 27, 2019, 07:40:07 PM »
Stuck on Jurou the Drunk but there’s a side path that leads to another part of the estate and I’m going to explore that.

Where’s the side path?

apparently there isn’t a side path. I just sequence broke the game and found the Drunk before Owl.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #312 on: March 27, 2019, 08:30:50 PM »
wtf the door to the ashina castle ( miniboss door ) is locked and cant get past it?

Also its not really a sequence break I also found the drunk before the owl
What

Coax

« Reply #313 on: March 27, 2019, 08:43:05 PM »
wtf the door to the ashina castle ( miniboss door ) is locked and cant get past it?

All I can say is the extended scream encountered leading up to the true entrance that comes outta nowhere is the funniest thing I've experienced so far.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #314 on: March 27, 2019, 08:47:22 PM »
Man oh man this game's world and enemies and lore take such a tremendous dump on Nioh.
zzzzz

Himu

« Reply #315 on: March 27, 2019, 08:59:40 PM »
How is it possible for Borys to beat Gyobu without parrying? He’s not bad after two or three tries. But for someone bad at parrying?
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #316 on: March 27, 2019, 09:18:14 PM »
If y'all need better drops theres an ingame way to get it done

ringing the demon bell. Its located in the Ashina Outskirts > Underbridge valley checkpoint. Head back to where you fought that general and head left down the path towards the chasm. There will be a note about The Headless. Grapple down and look for a place on the cliffside where you can ump to and grab the edge. Head into the cave, look for the opening past the headless and find your way to the temple. Ringing the bell makes enemies kind of harder but they drop crafting material more often. Bosses are MUCH harder though, so turn off when you plan on moving forward in an area
[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #317 on: March 27, 2019, 09:28:42 PM »
I had a thought: Do various symbols for unparryable attacks, have different kanji? If so, why are they not in 3 different colors (thrust, swipe and grab)? I think it'd be pretty easy, then, to mod it and just import the texture into photoshop and change the hue, to make it more clear? 'cause at a glance it's honestly hard to tell.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #318 on: March 27, 2019, 09:33:20 PM »
Woah is that true? Seems unfair to non-Japanese players :lol
zzzzz

Coax

« Reply #319 on: March 27, 2019, 09:40:45 PM »
I had a thought: Do various symbols for unparryable attacks, have different kanji?

I checked a few videos and it's the same character for different unblockables.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #320 on: March 27, 2019, 09:56:53 PM »
Don't know if I could do bloodborne after this. Sorta like I couldn't do Dark Souls after bloodborne. It feels like a lesser heir.
que

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #321 on: March 27, 2019, 09:59:43 PM »
每天生气

Freyj

« Reply #322 on: March 27, 2019, 10:49:41 PM »
Man oh man this game's world and enemies and lore take such a tremendous dump on Nioh.

I played like 75 hours of Nioh and I could barely make sense of any of the story / lore after the first hour.

Himu

« Reply #324 on: March 28, 2019, 03:12:53 AM »
I love how I can tackle places at my own speed. You start that Ashira outskirts but then eventually unlock Hirada Estates. You can choose to do Hirada or Ashira. Now I’ve cleared Ashira Outskirts and I’m in the castle proper. Tomorrow I’ll continue Hirada.

It’s really reminiscent of Demon’s Souls and being able to choose your targets in any order you wanted.

How is it possible for Borys to beat Gyobu without parrying? He’s not bad after two or three tries. But for someone bad at parrying?

The horse Boss?

Pretty easy, in fact pretty easy to no-hit.

1) always be running back from him - ALWAYS
2) he will run towards you and try his combo - it will ALWAYS miss if you if you are running as hell; never stop running
3) then he will run away from you and you will have a chance to Vault into him using Prosthetic (be quick and follow him for a moment cause the UI Marker is up only for a short time)
4) vault into him and press Attack as you are vaulting (there is a skill for that) - you will land right on him and damage him
5) give him two standard hits, three if he is staggered. !this is the only moment in the entire fight where you are damaging him!
6) RUN THE FUCK BACK

Rinse and repeat. It takes 30 mins. Never parry, never deflect. Only use the "B" (sprint button).

It's the Benny Hill tactic and so far it worked on Drunkard, Horse, Old Lady and kind of tried it on The Castle Main Boss and it also worked there (33% health). Just need to stop being greedy with the hits.

Huh? No. I beat him but he basically requires mastery of all game systems. As someone who says they struggle parrying and I had no idea how you could possibly beat Gyobu without mastering parry. I didn’t have prosthetic vault at the time either. He has a combo. You can block the first two hits but the last hit is a big whallop. You parry that last hit and counter. I personally parried all three hits. Then you can easily build posture meter and get a deathblow. Gyobu’s horse is also weak to fire. There was a man crying that his horse died from a gun powder explosion hinting for the player to use fire. I tried it once but it’s inconsistent and I beat him with out it. I found Gyobu’s attacks really easy to parry. I have no idea why or how you’d fight him in the way you described him.

I resorted to running after the bull. I personally found the bull the hardest boss so far because I am not a Souls player and basically had to teach myself to lock on and just chase. It was incredibly boring and besides the awful camera in the fight the biggest enemy for me in that fight was my own boredom. I have no clue how you could enjoy playing like this but different strokes.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #325 on: March 28, 2019, 03:13:43 AM »

So true. Level design and lore here are incredible. I thought Nioh had good "japanese castle" levels but Sekiro destroys them. The only level I remember from Nioh is the Shinobi Funhouse.

But Nioh had better bosses. Remember those Dark Souls 2 jokes that 75% of bosses are "humanoid knights in armor"? Here 95% of enemies/ bosses are "humanoids".

The verticality in Ashira Castle is incredible.

Such amazing level design.
IYKYK

Coax

« Reply #326 on: March 28, 2019, 06:40:19 AM »
Major spoiler list of bosses I can fight now. That's actually 11 bosses!

- crazy, m-fing Centipede Boss
[close]

I'd be curious if you manage this one without parrying since there's barely any room to move or attack. On the other hand I've found the mini boss practically gives the player both the deathblows without even the need to attack if one parries.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #327 on: March 28, 2019, 07:15:39 AM »
You can bump the block button rapidly and its very forgiving as far as deflecting, especially rapid attacks. You either hit it right or you'll block. That fight was actually very easy, if we're talking about the same one, since that boss is very predictable. Use the firecrackers if you need to use a gourd flask.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #328 on: March 28, 2019, 08:11:05 AM »
Lol did I cheese Lady B?

I got her in a sort of hitstunlock situation

If she was close id dodge left or right and hit her once* rinse and repeat. She still used some of her moves but her spirit or whatever was broken fairly quickly :o
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #329 on: March 28, 2019, 09:17:34 AM »
There’s simply little in Sekiro to make it stand out in a vast ocean of releases, rendering it more of a footnote in the gaming market

lol
What

Svejk

« Reply #330 on: March 28, 2019, 09:43:26 AM »
I'm having a blast watching others play this game and how our play styles are entirely different.

Look at this shit.

Finally watched this one..  Fuck me... this IS Tenchu!  :lawd I'm gonna have to get this sooner rather than later.  :noah  Feeling so jealous right now.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #331 on: March 28, 2019, 09:45:45 AM »

Look at this shit.

Finally watched this one..  Fuck me... this IS Tenchu!  :lawd I'm gonna have to get this sooner rather than later.  :noah  Feeling so jealous right now.

Don't hype yourself up like this- you're gonna be disappointed.   :lol  That's stuff from right at the beginning of the game and those are normal enemies.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #332 on: March 28, 2019, 10:19:59 AM »
Don't hype yourself up like this- you're gonna be disappointed.   :lol  That's stuff from right at the beginning of the game and those are normal enemies.
:goty2

Himu

« Reply #333 on: March 28, 2019, 11:24:16 AM »
Borys you need to watch this video. So does everyone else really. Learned about rapid block in it.

https://m.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #334 on: March 28, 2019, 11:24:45 AM »
And yeah. Bull was atrocious.
IYKYK

Coax

« Reply #335 on: March 28, 2019, 11:42:42 AM »
Borys you need to watch this video. So does everyone else really. Learned about rapid block in it.

I mean tbh all of this outside of the attack anim cancelling tip was intuitive enough from just playing the game and reading the tips. Maybe it's because I wasn't a Souls player that I wasn't coming in with any preconceptions, not sure (tried D1 but didn't enjoy it).

Himu

« Reply #336 on: March 28, 2019, 11:44:42 AM »

I mean tbh all of this outside of the attack anim cancelling tip was intuitive enough from just playing the game and reading the tips. Maybe it's because I wasn't a Souls player that I wasn't coming in with any preconceptions, not sure (tried D1 but didn't enjoy it).

Some of it, yeah. But the attack animation tip is seriously good.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #337 on: March 28, 2019, 11:51:25 AM »
Some site (Slant) gave it 5/10 and brought the Metacritic down to 89 (it was 92 back I checked) :lol

https://www.slantmagazine.com/games/review-the-somewhat-punishing-sekiro-shadows-die-twice-coasts-on-borrowed-moves/

Git gud, Slant scrub!

Like, whatever if someone didn't like a game. But apparently the writer is now raging on twitter how his genius writing has exposed the worthless hacks of From Software and how his enlighenment destroys all the people who never played supposedly intelligent games.  :lol

Himu

« Reply #338 on: March 28, 2019, 12:07:17 PM »
Some site (Slant) gave it 5/10 and brought the Metacritic down to 89 (it was 92 back I checked) :lol

https://www.slantmagazine.com/games/review-the-somewhat-punishing-sekiro-shadows-die-twice-coasts-on-borrowed-moves/

Git gud, Slant scrub!

Like, whatever if someone didn't like a game. But apparently the writer is now raging on twitter how his genius writing has exposed the worthless hacks of From Software and how his enlighenment destroys all the people who never played supposedly intelligent games.  :lol

It mostly seems like he's just mad it wasn't a full on stealth game when they never advertised it as being such.

The people he's retweeting are right though. The AI is brain dead and modern stealth games aren't stealth games anymore. I wrote about such on neogaf years and years ago. Stealth games are no longer a genre of consequence (MGS1-3, Splinter Cell 1-3, Tenchu games) but a genre of brain dead AI and stomping through it. Essentially, the genre is no longer about the stealth itself  for stealths sake (being sneaky) but primarily about killing in stealth. It's no longer about puzzles (the primary design philosophy of stealth games) but mostly wish-fulfillment to make you a badass. This has been true since Arkham Asylum after everyone ripped it off with its in-out, in-out take them all out one by one gameplay. But that works for Batman because....he's Batman.

What makes him stupid isn't his points towards the games stealth.

What makes him stupid is that he's reviewing it like it's primarily a stealth game: it's not. It's just a bonus, an extra option. It's not the primary focus.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 12:11:32 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #339 on: March 28, 2019, 12:12:47 PM »

Look at this shit.

This is just one high level stealth player.

The game is far more Ninja Gaiden than Tenchu.
IYKYK

Coax

« Reply #340 on: March 28, 2019, 12:22:04 PM »
Essentially, the genre is no longer about the stealth itself  for stealths sake (being sneaky) but primarily about killing in stealth. It's no longer about puzzles (the primary design philosophy of stealth games) but mostly wish-fulfillment to make you a badass.

If we're talking stealth games for a moment I will say I thoroughly enjoyed the Dishonored series. Perhaps not the brightest AI (which I think fits the style they were going for) but allows you to go all stealth with non-lethal options and no-power paths (particularly 2 for the latter since they made even obtaining powers optional). 2 improves on the first mechanically while having absolutely stunning visual design though 1 has imo the better story and side characters.

Was thinking recently about the Emily's Far Reach ability in Dishonored 2 which functionally is similar to a grappling hook, that can also be upgraded to draw enemies toward you. It's a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 12:28:24 PM by Coax »

Himu

« Reply #341 on: March 28, 2019, 12:28:34 PM »
Essentially, the genre is no longer about the stealth itself  for stealths sake (being sneaky) but primarily about killing in stealth. It's no longer about puzzles (the primary design philosophy of stealth games) but mostly wish-fulfillment to make you a badass.

If we're talking stealth games for a moment I will say I thoroughly enjoyed the Dishonored series. Perhaps not the brightest AI (which I think fits the style they were going for) but allows you to go all stealth with non-lethal options and no-power paths (particularly 2 for the latter since they made even obtaining powers optional). 2 improves on the first mechanically while having absolutely stunning visual design though 1 has imo the better story and side characters.

Sounds good.

Any legit stealth game should have a no kill option. The only series I'll give an exception to this is Tenchu. Too many stealth games are about doing stealth executions now. Poor Splinter Cell has been butchered.  :brazilcry
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #342 on: March 28, 2019, 05:40:58 PM »
What about HITMAN he's a pretty stealthy dude
What

Himu

« Reply #343 on: March 28, 2019, 05:44:24 PM »
Hitman is the only legit stealth game I’ve seen these days. Looking forward to it.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #344 on: March 28, 2019, 07:12:18 PM »

Git gud, Slant scrub!

It mostly seems like he's just mad it wasn't a full on stealth game when they never advertised it as being such.

The people he's retweeting are right though. The AI is brain dead and modern stealth games aren't stealth games anymore. I wrote about such on neogaf years and years ago. Stealth games are no longer a genre of consequence (MGS1-3, Splinter Cell 1-3, Tenchu games) but a genre of brain dead AI and stomping through it. Essentially, the genre is no longer about the stealth itself  for stealths sake (being sneaky) but primarily about killing in stealth. It's no longer about puzzles (the primary design philosophy of stealth games) but mostly wish-fulfillment to make you a badass. This has been true since Arkham Asylum after everyone ripped it off with its in-out, in-out take them all out one by one gameplay. But that works for Batman because....he's Batman.

What makes him stupid is that he's reviewing it like it's primarily a stealth game: it's not. It's just a bonus, an extra option. It's not the primary focus.

what makes him stupid is being a pretentious hobo over his attention whoring text.

Himu

« Reply #345 on: March 28, 2019, 07:16:08 PM »

Git gud, Slant scrub!

what makes him stupid is being a pretentious hobo over his attention whoring text.

That too.
IYKYK

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #346 on: March 28, 2019, 07:57:35 PM »
Ugh... got to Sekiro's Blighttown. Worst area in the game so far. And its boss :lol what the fucking fuck!

Gun Fort
[close]

Got 8 Estus :hyper
wait till you get to sekiro's lower blighttown
每天生气

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #347 on: March 28, 2019, 08:36:42 PM »
Lady Butterfly
[close]
can suck all the dicks

Also that feel when you hit a new area with the material drops you need  :rejoice

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #348 on: March 28, 2019, 08:49:27 PM »
Stealth games stopped being actual stealth games because it's a shite mechanic that's never as fun as game designers think it is.
___

Himu

« Reply #349 on: March 28, 2019, 08:53:10 PM »
Stealth games stopped being actual stealth games because it's a shite mechanic that's never as fun as game designers think it is.

Or you’re just shit at stealth games :idont
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #350 on: March 28, 2019, 08:59:47 PM »
I enjoy both old style stealth games, and new style stealth games.
Fuck, i'm living the life then.  :success

Himu

« Reply #351 on: March 29, 2019, 02:17:51 AM »
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #352 on: March 29, 2019, 02:27:41 AM »
I was happy because I beat the ogre "only" on my third try, without the flame thing, but then I went to my brother and he beat the
guardian ape
[close]
on his first try, lol.

paprikastaude

« Reply #353 on: March 29, 2019, 05:26:39 AM »
Finally found time to play again and I'm now feeling much more natural with parrying. And firecrackers is good for cheap blows, especially combined with its extra slash forward skill. And flamethrowing has been a lifesaver against anyone with a mantle, especially mid bosses. Just got the spear, it seems pretty fun too. i.e., people who say prosthetics and other items to find are useless = :confused

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #354 on: March 29, 2019, 06:03:36 AM »
I love how some mid bosses give you skills, ine of them gave me a vitality healing deathblow skill which should mitigate gourd flask uses when going through a level.

Coax

« Reply #355 on: March 29, 2019, 06:17:23 AM »
I think Cindi actually managed to kill it faster with two deathblows in combat than it takes to usually get the stealth deathblow then fight him. Congrats.

Himu

« Reply #357 on: March 29, 2019, 06:56:38 AM »

That's not easy :lol barely won + the NPC died as well. But very, very quick I will give you that! You play this game as it should be played. Aggresive and not holding back. Very impressive.

I only died because I was unlucky enough to alert the fucks across the pond.

I definitely got greedy but I also almost beat him without dying if not for some lucky ass Bowman.

Who cares. It’s the first playthrough. I have zero obligation to play for perfection.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #358 on: March 29, 2019, 02:27:53 PM »
ど助平

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #359 on: March 29, 2019, 05:17:01 PM »
I really enjoy the combat itself, but i hate having to stealth kill 15 minions every time i wanna have another go.
Probably why i won't keep playing it in the end.
In that sense, Dark Souls was better, cause you could just ran past everyone and enter the fog gate and be safe for a 1 on 1, but here half of them are minibosses surrounded by minions, so no dice.