Author Topic: Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (translator's note: Sekiro means ninja fuckery)  (Read 91184 times)

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Re: Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (translator's note: Sekiro means ninja fuckery)
« Reply #180 on: March 24, 2019, 02:47:51 PM »
That difficulty jump. Theres a point in this game where certain enemies are best dealt stealth kills otherewise you'll be in a slog of a swordfight. Which is fine, if youre sloppy with your stealth youre penalized with some hard ass swordfights.
:9

Svejk

« Reply #181 on: March 24, 2019, 03:20:39 PM »
Tenchu 2 was good for the time.  No way it was the DMC2 of the series- that's Tenchu DS.  :P
Tenchu 2 was really that bad.  Like what the hell happened type bad.  Glad I never tried the DS one though.  :P

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #182 on: March 24, 2019, 03:58:40 PM »
Im pretty happy its not an rpg actually. Not every game needs to be one.

I mean it is, you’re just much more constrained. There’s still “souls” and purchased items to grind. Health and attack power to increase. Basically this is Parry Dex Souls with a sprinkling of build variety via the prosthetic tools and skill texts.
Sekiro has as much "health and attack upgrades" as Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta.
Unless those are also RPGs.

BTW these genre discussions are always pointless.  :doge
Tenchu 2 was good for the time.  No way it was the DMC2 of the series- that's Tenchu DS.  :P
Tenchu 2 was really that bad.  Like what the hell happened type bad.  Glad I never tried the DS one though.  :P
I still don't understand this opinion of yours, i think Tenchu 2 was the peak of the series, despite all of it being made obsolete by ShinobiDo.

Svejk

« Reply #183 on: March 24, 2019, 04:13:14 PM »
I suppose this is one of my more stubborn gaming opinions; about Tenchu (just ask bork. Lol)

Tenchu 2 grapple hook was nerfed beyond belief; couldn't latch on and hang on a ledge unless you're perpendicular with the wall/roof.  Environments we're smaller with even less draw distance, the ambient noise was horrible audio with literal 2 second loops, the draw/sheath sword was completely useless and only made the gameplay even more tanky than the first was.  Nevertheless, T3 and Kurenai made up for everything T2 stumbled on. 

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #184 on: March 24, 2019, 04:15:18 PM »
After 10 hours: wow, this game is amazing.

Stuck on a boss 2 hours: Fuck this dumb shit @#$%#%&&*$&^#%#%@%#$%!!!

Finally beat boss: WOW THIS GAME IS AMAZING

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #185 on: March 24, 2019, 05:20:08 PM »
This game fuckin rules

Himu

« Reply #186 on: March 24, 2019, 05:46:07 PM »
This game fuckin rules

As a Souls hater how Souls is it? Give deets Admiral-san
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #187 on: March 24, 2019, 07:35:36 PM »
https://twitter.com/UprightOrc/status/1108907867095158785
This is me. Really liked Bloodbourne and enjoyed Dark Souls 3. This game is too hard for me. Probably won't trade it, but it's shelved for now.

NiOh 2 can't come soon enough.

Freyj

« Reply #188 on: March 24, 2019, 07:40:03 PM »
Lots of games are RPG-like nowadays. Bloodborne constrained things quite a bit and Sekiro constrains them further.

This game still has souls in its DNA as much as any other. It’s an evolution / reinvention of a sub genre.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 07:47:02 PM by Freyj »

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #189 on: March 24, 2019, 08:05:25 PM »
This game fuckin rules

As a Souls hater how Souls is it? Give deets Admiral-san

I wouldn’t say I hate Souls but so far I am liking this more than what time I spent with DS1 and BB. I really like the stealth and maneuverability, and the quickness of the combat. It’s much easier to carve up or avoid mooks (I also didn’t like wasting time on them when repeating sections).

The death penalty doesn’t seem so bad, if you earn enough exp to earn a skill point then that’s banked. You can also buy gold pouch items with your loose gold for permanence, though I imagine the pouch is worth less than you paid for it? I paid 110 and I don’t know how much I get back for opening it.

Rman

« Reply #190 on: March 24, 2019, 08:31:19 PM »
Yes, it follows some superficial conventions such as bonfires, estus and stuff like that.  But this has stealth, vertical traversal, jumping, smoother and ninja-like mobility, posture system, and the combat system requires way more precision than Souls. 

Plus it doesn't have Souls staples like PvP and summoning. 

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 08:46:19 PM by Rman »

Himu

« Reply #191 on: March 24, 2019, 08:32:51 PM »
Can you only use estus if you’re in a certain mode? In DS1 you can only take it if you’re hollow iirc? Idk
IYKYK

Rman

« Reply #192 on: March 24, 2019, 08:37:30 PM »
Can you only use estus if you’re in a certain mode? In DS1 you can only take it if you’re hollow iirc? Idk
You could use Estus in all forms in DS1.

In Sekiro, you could use it at all times as well.  I haven't gotten all status effects, though, so I'm not sure if there is a status effect that blocks it.

Himu

« Reply #193 on: March 24, 2019, 08:41:18 PM »
Thanks for the correction
IYKYK

Coax

« Reply #194 on: March 24, 2019, 08:49:42 PM »
posture system

The posture system is the most curious thing since it doesn't require you to get an enemy's health down to zero. Like with that demon general boss for example, from memory I barely scratched his HP yet following enough attack deflections and a few hits here and there managed to break his posture twice for the deathblows despite him having near full health.

Himu

« Reply #195 on: March 24, 2019, 08:55:18 PM »
posture system

The posture system is the most curious thing since it doesn't require you to get an enemy's health down to zero. Like with that demon general boss for example, from memory I barely scratched his HP yet following enough attack deflections and a few hits here and there managed to break his posture twice for the deathblows despite him having near full health.

It honestly sounds similar to Ninja Gaiden 2’s dismemberment system which you could apply to enemies to make them weaker combined with Obliteration Attacks which are bloody, gore-ish attacks that act as deathblows, also from the same game (Ninja Gaiden 2).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:10:49 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #196 on: March 24, 2019, 09:07:56 PM »
Yes, it’s a bit like that. Really lets you approach things differently.

The 110-coin bags give you 100 back so they are a good way to avoid death penalties. You can also warp back to a bonfire at any time.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #197 on: March 24, 2019, 09:43:08 PM »
First sour note for me

Spent an hour trying to kill this boss, took everything I had. Finally got it, flipped off the screen... and oh hey, its a multistage boss who's final form wiped its ass with me within 10 seconds. I went back to the stage to see if I have to it all over again and yep, I do. Thats not difficulty, thats straight up sadism. Getting Ornstein and Smough flashbacks.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: March 24, 2019, 11:08:31 PM »
I still don't understand this opinion of yours, i think Tenchu 2 was the peak of the series, despite all of it being made obsolete by ShinobiDo.

Can't say it's the peak of the series either.  I like the original Tenchu (especially Shinobi Gaisen- the J-version with all the American content, plus a level editor) more than 2, but I think from the 'old-school' games I'd give it to Fatal Shadows as the best, but Acquire came back and did it all better with Shinobido anyway.  I like their more stealth-focused take with Tenchu 4, too- sucks we didn't get a planned trilogy out of it.

Bringing it all back around, I just played through a section of Sekiro and stealth-killed all the enemies in the area.  That was fuckin' great.  Tenchu vibes in that sense.  :P
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #199 on: March 24, 2019, 11:09:07 PM »
This is me. Really liked Bloodbourne and enjoyed Dark Souls 3. This game is too hard for me. Probably won't trade it, but it's shelved for now.

This seems easier than Nioh to me.
ど助平

Freyj

« Reply #200 on: March 25, 2019, 01:43:16 AM »
First sour note for me

Spent an hour trying to kill this boss, took everything I had. Finally got it, flipped off the screen... and oh hey, its a multistage boss who's final form wiped its ass with me within 10 seconds. I went back to the stage to see if I have to it all over again and yep, I do. Thats not difficulty, thats straight up sadism. Getting Ornstein and Smough flashbacks.

This game fucking loves that shit. Speaking of...

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I managed to go straight from the Guardian Ape to Ashina Depths after who knows how many attempts and I had a mild existential crisis when I almost immediately ran into the headless Guardian Ape again with its enraged Ape wife. Well played you fucks.
[close]

paprikastaude

« Reply #201 on: March 25, 2019, 02:16:34 AM »
Using Samurai Leroy Jenkins tactically :lawd

Coax

« Reply #202 on: March 25, 2019, 02:35:19 AM »
It honestly sounds similar to Ninja Gaiden 2’s dismemberment system which you could apply to enemies to make them weaker combined with Obliteration Attacks which are bloody, gore-ish attacks that act as deathblows, also from the same game (Ninja Gaiden 2).

Made a GIF of the Mikiri Counter ability. Enemy at full health but with the spear stomp counter he's completely vulnerable to an insta-kill deathblow (breaking his posture). It's those little moments of badassery the game is pretty good at.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #203 on: March 25, 2019, 03:52:50 AM »
This game looks very cool, but sounds nutso hard! Is it as hard as Ninja Gaiden?

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #204 on: March 25, 2019, 05:24:29 AM »

This seems easier than Nioh to me.

NiOh was stupidly easy IMO. Could just use the exact same tactic on most enemies. The "training" NPCs were the most challenging.

:esports :expert
[close]

Made a GIF of the Mikiri Counter ability. Enemy at full health but with the spear stomp counter he's completely vulnerable to an insta-kill deathblow (breaking his posture). It's those little moments of badassery the game is pretty good at.

(Image removed from quote.)

:holeup Is that GIF from 1999?

Coax

« Reply #205 on: March 25, 2019, 05:59:36 AM »
Is that GIF from 1999?

Didn't want to be potentially slowing the page for anyone. Either I halved the framerate or have a GIF twice the filesize but smoother. If no one minds though I can replace it with the smoother version.

Svejk

« Reply #206 on: March 25, 2019, 08:18:09 AM »
This game looks very cool, but sounds nutso hard! Is it as hard as Ninja Gaiden?
I wanted to ask that as well.  If someone could beat NG Black, should this be about the same, or is it straight up another level of difficult?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #207 on: March 25, 2019, 09:32:33 AM »
I wanted to ask that as well.  If someone could beat NG Black, should this be about the same, or is it straight up another level of difficult?
From what i've seen (several hours of my brother playing) and played (just a bit) this game is significantly harder than Ninja Gaiden (on normal).

It's mostly against bosses/mini bosses, whereas Ninja Gaiden tends to have a more balanced/spread-out difficulty curve, but you'll die over and over here against a single boss, whereas Ninja Gaiden might've taken you 5 or 6 tries at best.
Also NG introduced "Ninja Dog mode" whereas this one doesn't have any easy option (nor way to summon help).

Most of the difficulty comes from dying in 1 or 2 hits, and the parry being 90% of your defensive arsenal.

Himu

« Reply #208 on: March 25, 2019, 09:46:41 AM »
Also NG introduced "Ninja Dog mode" whereas this one doesn't have any easy option (nor way to summon help).

If ninja dog mode counts why don’t hard and master ninja?

Also how is dying to a boss 5-6 times not over and over?

IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: March 25, 2019, 09:56:21 AM »
This game is harder than Ninja Gaiden.  A regular 'grunt' or a *chicken* (lol) could even kill you if you're not careful.   :lol

But it feels fair to me.  I haven't played as much as some of you guys, but I wasn't like "RAGE!!!!!!! GRRRR!!!!" when I died, more psyched to try again.  It's fun!  :)
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #210 on: March 25, 2019, 09:57:21 AM »
From what i've seen (several hours of my brother playing) and played (just a bit) this game is significantly harder than Ninja Gaiden (on normal).
:dayum  I felt good back in the day being able to beat NG Black... I was at my peak then..  My patience level has gone down, accompanied with my playtime.  Plus I enjoy having a drink or 2 while gaming only on weekends.  Maybe this isn't gonna be too good a match for my play style now.   :doge  I can only re-fight a boss/enemy so many times before I say fuck it.
This game is harder than Ninja Gaiden.  A regular 'grunt' or a *chicken* (lol) could even kill you if you're not careful.   :lol

But it feels fair to me.  I haven't played as much as some of you guys, but I wasn't like "RAGE!!!!!!! GRRRR!!!!" when I died, more psyched to try again.  It's fun!  :)
And that's the thing!  The gameplay looks sooooo good!  :lawd  Feel so torn.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #211 on: March 25, 2019, 10:13:38 AM »

If ninja dog mode counts why don’t hard and master ninja?

Also how is dying to a boss 5-6 times not over and over?
What would be the point of mentioning Hard and Master Ninja in the context of what game has the hardest Skill floor?

5 or 6 times is nothing compared to dying 15 or 30 times to a boss like in Sekiro.

I didn'ìt say NG wasn't hard, just that Sekiro is harder (again, talking about skill floor, not skill ceiling).

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #212 on: March 25, 2019, 10:28:23 AM »
Beat the first miniboss and got up to the first boss. Both of them had a save point right there so you don’t have to go through a bunch of guys. Going through guys is easier anyway with all the stealth options and aerial shortcuts, and the quick combat. Like this much better than Souls

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #213 on: March 25, 2019, 10:58:16 AM »
I dont understand, with all the UI hand holding Activision suggested, they couldnt have gone the extra mile and implemented a boss rematch option. The tedium of having to wait for a whole level you wont be playing in to reload just to get back to the same boss youre gonna fight another ten times makes no sense. But hey, the things we do for love. I'm having a blast in spite of this.

With that said, the fights are so enjoyable that even fighting low level chumps is something you dont mind. It requires skill and rhythm which ultimately feels satisfying every single time.

paprikastaude

« Reply #214 on: March 25, 2019, 11:05:29 AM »
This feels harder than Ninja Gaiden to me, but mostly because of the (mid) bosses. Honestly, Bloodborne was much easier to play with my character action muscle memory. This game's flow is asking for very differing things that I'm not used to.

paprikastaude

« Reply #215 on: March 25, 2019, 11:14:28 AM »
I was just answering the question man, not complaining.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #216 on: March 25, 2019, 11:57:06 AM »
Does anyone feel like the little red circle for an insta-kill can be really janky? Sometimes I’ll be in the flowers behind a guy just standing there, have the red dot, hit R1 and go into an attack animation instead of a kill. It’s even worse if you’re trying to land on someone’s head from above.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #217 on: March 25, 2019, 01:02:19 PM »
Does anyone feel like the little red circle for an insta-kill can be really janky? Sometimes I’ll be in the flowers behind a guy just standing there, have the red dot, hit R1 and go into an attack animation instead of a kill. It’s even worse if you’re trying to land on someone’s head from above.

This has happened to me and its always in controller throwing scenarios. It only really happens to when trying to stealth kill as the enemy is walking.

The biggest interesting thing about this game is how the posture meter is meant to keep you engaged in a fight. The only way to beat some of these bosses and mini bosses is to get their vitality down and just hammer them while timing the deflections. Its one of the most intense battle system I've played.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 01:33:14 PM by BlueTsunami »

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #218 on: March 25, 2019, 01:19:25 PM »
It's funny watching my son try to play this like Dark Souls and get his ass handed to him time and time again. I've really only seriously played (and finished) bloodborne so I don't have that propensity to block and roll that Dark Souls people have. It's funny he'll play for like 3 hours and make some progress. I'll play for like an hour and get to the same place and he's like "How did you get there that fast?!" I keep telling him it's because I don't play it like Dark Souls. Eventually this game will break him of his bad habits.
que

Nola

« Reply #219 on: March 25, 2019, 01:48:46 PM »
As much as a I love From and the Souls series(by far my favorite series right now), hearing the unforgiving difficulty of this game and the scaled back RPG elements(I.E. no way to grind levels to take some of the edge off the difficulty) I honestly think I'm gonna skip it.

I'm not opposed to difficulty still, but I'm just past a point where I think I can bring myself to play a game where the possibility of metaphorically(or occasionally in reality) throwing or breaking a controller is in the cards. At least with Souls you could grind a bit or go on a side mission to find some crazy weapon. From my reading and hearing of everything that is almost non-existent here.

Himu

« Reply #220 on: March 25, 2019, 01:54:18 PM »
Beat the first miniboss and got up to the first boss. Both of them had a save point right there so you don’t have to go through a bunch of guys. Going through guys is easier anyway with all the stealth options and aerial shortcuts, and the quick combat. Like this much better than Souls

:rejoice
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #221 on: March 25, 2019, 01:56:18 PM »
As much as a I love From and the Souls series(by far my favorite series right now), hearing the unforgiving difficulty of this game and the scaled back RPG elements(I.E. no way to grind levels to take some of the edge off the difficulty) I honestly think I'm gonna skip it.

I'm not opposed to difficulty still, but I'm just past a point where I think I can bring myself to play a game where the possibility of metaphorically(or occasionally in reality) throwing or breaking a controller is in the cards. At least with Souls you could grind a bit or go on a side mission to find some crazy weapon. From my reading and hearing of everything that is almost non-existent here.

:gladbron :rejoice

Pay day need to hurry tf up
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #222 on: March 25, 2019, 02:26:24 PM »
Reached the Castle. Game opens up :rejoice

The castle is where shit gets real. Update us on how you deal with the enemies in there lmao

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #223 on: March 25, 2019, 03:01:36 PM »
Ok, the walk to the spear dude in the castle is kind of long, but I don’t mind it.

You can still grind, but you just get new abilities and counters instead of stat buffs.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #224 on: March 25, 2019, 03:08:40 PM »
. From my reading and hearing of everything that is almost non-existent here.

Yeah I'm at a point where I have to face these bosses head on or devise strategies to deal with them if I cant just get their rhythm. You can grind for skills that will help buts its all about the abilities, tools, items, and grit.

One boss felt too fast for me so I used my spear tool to dive bomb from a distance, get slashes in, and repeat.

bluemax

« Reply #225 on: March 25, 2019, 11:31:32 PM »
I'll redbox it, but I doubt I'll enjoy it.
NO

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #226 on: March 26, 2019, 01:48:55 AM »
How closely does this follow the Dark Souls/Bloodborne formula?

I love the design and concept of this game's setting, but I just don't have the patience for the whole "git gud" gameplay thing.
Spud

Freyj

« Reply #227 on: March 26, 2019, 02:37:03 AM »
Final boss
really really fucking takes the piss. 4 phases? Fuck you.
[close]

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #228 on: March 26, 2019, 07:05:46 AM »
Borys, I liked Demon Souls and Bloodborne (finished both), but didn't get into Souls 1 or 2. Ill prib give Souls Remastered a go on Switch again though.

Is this a game for me?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #229 on: March 26, 2019, 07:24:08 AM »
Borys, I liked Demon Souls and Bloodborne (finished both), but didn't get into Souls 1 or 2. Ill prib give Souls Remastered a go on Switch again though.

Is this a game for me?

yes
What

Coax

« Reply #230 on: March 26, 2019, 10:15:50 AM »
Senpou Temple :rejoice

The visual design and lighting throughout is a treat itself. These barely touch on it.

Himu

« Reply #231 on: March 26, 2019, 01:44:56 PM »
TBH i'm happy to see soulsborne sluts get humbled by this game.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #232 on: March 26, 2019, 03:35:32 PM »
Game got. Impressions later.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #233 on: March 26, 2019, 04:34:33 PM »
Impressions so far:

Game is tight and zero From jank is found. Also 100 hours of Third Strike in the past two months has paid off. :snob
IYKYK

Rman

« Reply #234 on: March 26, 2019, 05:05:14 PM »

It's not impossible or that hard.  The issue is that Souls fans got too comfortable with their strats. It's been 5 games after all.

It doesn't work here at all. It's almost as Miyazaki told his designers to make a combat system and approach philosophy completely opposite from Souls.

It's why I hate that people are calling this a Souls game. Oh wow, it has bonfires and estus, whoop dee doo.

Coax

« Reply #235 on: March 26, 2019, 05:11:47 PM »
- blocking (guarding) instead of parrying... somehow works later on in the game. You can block whole (singular) enemies combos and punish them afterwards.

At the minimum one can also just rapidly press the block button if an enemy's attack isn't certain since it's likely to fall on one of the presses for a deflection which then contributes to breaking their posture more.

- Prosthetics are *worthless* and you can beat like 60-70% of the game only using your sword (feels like SL1 challenge, though). The only one I use a lot is Axe for breaking shields.

Some are more worthwhile than others but they certainly can be useful. I feel like the same could be said of most consumable/throwable items tbh. Axe, Sabimaru and Firecracker are the ones I'm getting the most mileage from lately. The latter I've used in three mini bosses for stunning, leaving a brief space to regen or get in a free attack if in a hurry. Flame was useful in the ogre mini boss, though it really needs like 2-3 attacks before a burn effect is triggered.

Edit: the Shuriken is most definitely useless though. Even its first tier upgraded form doesn't seem any better. Can't think of any enemy even from the beginning area that doesn't deflect them. The homing upgrade is probably where it starts getting useful.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 05:20:51 PM by Coax »

Himu

« Reply #236 on: March 26, 2019, 05:17:42 PM »
It's like this game was made specifically for me.

- Deep combat with heavy emphasis on defense.
- Sengoku era samurai political story fuck yes
- Dororo inspired prosthetic
- Japanese history and folklore
- The general aesthetic

FUCK

I felt nothing for Dark Souls but this game hasn't captured my imagination like a From game since Demon's.

I love this A LOT.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #237 on: March 26, 2019, 05:18:31 PM »
Also, it's dope that Dororo is on air the same time this came out.

IYKYK

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #238 on: March 26, 2019, 05:24:52 PM »

you are the saltiest poster  :lol
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #239 on: March 26, 2019, 05:31:23 PM »

you are the saltiest poster  :lol

nah just petty
IYKYK