Author Topic: Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (translator's note: Sekiro means ninja fuckery)  (Read 91435 times)

Himu

Re: Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (translator's note: Sekiro means ninja fuckery)
« Reply #420 on: April 02, 2019, 03:04:47 AM »

:rejoice

This game gets hard as shit btw.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #421 on: April 02, 2019, 03:20:53 AM »
Probably one of the hardest games I’ve played. It’s almost like ninja gaiden on hard or Master ninja except this is normal mode.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #422 on: April 02, 2019, 03:39:17 AM »
Also playing this has me ITCHING to get back into Dark Souls and give it another chance.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #423 on: April 02, 2019, 03:57:11 AM »
Yeah, I always found it odd how they put Souls games on a pedestal like that. I mean, they’re challenging and don’t hold your hand, but Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls weren’t Ghouls n Ghosts or anything. Sekiro tho. :doge

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #424 on: April 02, 2019, 04:06:20 AM »
Checked the comments in Jim’s video. A lot of Souls fans don’t like this it seems.

Meanwhile there’s tons of people (like me) who never “got” Souls but LOVE Sekiro to pieces.

I hope this doesn’t get From in trouble and people skip on their next game because this wasn’t what they wanted.
IYKYK

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #425 on: April 02, 2019, 06:59:58 AM »
Both styles are good  :idont

Pretty sure the game is successful anyways. Will likely get a sequel in a couple of years. These fuckers churn these games out like nothing. Which is amazing given the quality and all the unique content.
Margs

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #426 on: April 02, 2019, 01:27:33 PM »
I'm really fed up with the souls formula, didnt even play Nioh, after i saw it had stamina (i did play the beta so i know it's kind of different).
I hope they dont just go back to that, though we'll probably get a BB2 unfortunately.
I'm hoping for a Sekiro DLC and then a new IP different enough from either style, like Sekiro was from Soulsbornes... or maybe another shot at Armored Core or Otogi.

Himu

« Reply #427 on: April 02, 2019, 01:35:29 PM »
THE FLOWERS ON RESURRECTION ARE UNECCESSARY AS FUCK I CANNOT SEE IN A CLOSE QUARTERS BOSS FIGHT AFTER REVIVAL
IYKYK

Nola

« Reply #428 on: April 02, 2019, 01:54:45 PM »
Checked the comments in Jim’s video. A lot of Souls fans don’t like this it seems.

Meanwhile there’s tons of people (like me) who never “got” Souls but LOVE Sekiro to pieces.

I hope this doesn’t get From in trouble and people skip on their next game because this wasn’t what they wanted.

Here's my thing, you have more than one team, let one focus on something in the Souls realm to keep the base(like me) satisfied(and the easy money rolling) and use the other to chase whatever new hitch in his formula Miyazaki wants to pursue now that he is over the Souls formula.

Himu

« Reply #429 on: April 02, 2019, 02:01:30 PM »
GENICHIRO  :whew
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #430 on: April 02, 2019, 02:03:17 PM »

Here's my thing, you have more than one team, let one focus on something in the Souls realm to keep the base(like me) satisfied(and the easy money rolling) and use the other to chase whatever new hitch in his formula Miyazaki wants to pursue now that he is over the Souls formula.

Lmao I thought y’all were from fans but you really just like Souls? Keep the base satisfied? So From should always placate y’all? What more could they possibly do with that franchise?
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #431 on: April 02, 2019, 02:11:34 PM »

B-Team made Dark Souls 2 :donot
Dark Souls 2 had plenty of good stuff.
It had just a shit ton of content, so some of it was really poor.
I love the DLCs though.

Also the B team shit always sounds like bullshit, since DkS2 was hit with a "start from scratch" halfway through, so it's probably why it's so inconsistent, and a lot of the reasons why people shit on that game, are still present in all the others (reharshed bosses, occasionally bad hitboxes, lazy or unfinished areas) just not in the same amount (because again, DkS2 has a lot of content).

I agree that Dark Souls 2 is the weakest one (though it's the one i've played the most) but the B team thing doesn't seem all that logical to me.

Himu

« Reply #432 on: April 02, 2019, 02:34:10 PM »

Jim Sterling video here btw

Problem is: Souls is an RPG. Sekiro is an action game like Ninja Gaiden. Yes it wants you to play in a particular way but there's lots of customization and different playstyles that come from that. Souls wants you to play a particular way too: by evading and using the side roll.

What I don't understand is why something needs to be like Souls in order for them to enjoy it. Different action games have their own emphasis: Ninja Gaiden is a heavily defensive game, DMC is heavily offensive, God Hand, Otogi, Ys these games all have completely different fundamentals. I don't understand why something needs to be like Souls for these people to enjoy an action game. To me it's like comparing Ninja Gaiden (an action game ) to Kingdom Hearts (an action RPG).

It's also weird how he says there's different ways to approach Souls games but not in Sekiro when Sekiro has STEALTH which enables you to decide how you will tackle situations. You can decide you're going to stealth kill this enemy here, and fight that one there. Or maybe, if you're up for a challenge, decide to take them on at once. While this sounds superficial, the enemies in Sekiro get TOUGH and this is an actual real time decision. Speaking of decisions, a lot of the fights involve a lot of decision making and you personally would approach a fight. So while it forces you to play in a particular manner it's up to you the player to decide that manner. I'm not sure how it'd be remotely possible to enjoy a game like Mario, Ninja Gaiden if you cannot accept that.

Anyways, weird. But preferences are preferences.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 02:47:34 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Nola

« Reply #433 on: April 02, 2019, 02:48:25 PM »

B-Team made Dark Souls 2 :donot

Didn't they also do a lot on Dark Souls 3? For some reason I thought there was a narrative about them getting their shit together.

I could also be 100% wrong on this.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #434 on: April 02, 2019, 05:14:10 PM »
Some neat context you guys might not have picked up. Spoilers for ending.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Here's your "Shura": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asura_(Buddhism)

I love the Buddhist themes in this game. Severing your cycle of rebirth. The endless war. The Sculptor haunted by his hatred. And that bad ending, where you get consumed by the death and destruction you've wrought. It's awesome.
[close]
每天生气

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #435 on: April 02, 2019, 05:21:45 PM »

lol, i love how soulsbornes are becoming the new CoD. sounds like the beginning of a treyarch x infinity ward narrative.

y'all think the grrm x miyazaki faceless men GoT souls is fr?
◕‿◕

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #436 on: April 02, 2019, 06:52:35 PM »

lol, i love how soulsbornes are becoming the new CoD. sounds like the beginning of a treyarch x infinity ward narrative.

y'all think the grrm x miyazaki faceless men GoT souls is fr?

I hope not.

Himu

« Reply #437 on: April 02, 2019, 08:15:52 PM »
Why does a game need a community? The game still has lots to find and lots of nooks and crannies. I found a hidden room in the Hirata estates. The game has a great story and lore that you slowly piece together the more you play. I simply do not get it. Wanting “builds” in a non rpg. It’s like Souls fans have never played a hard non-rpg before and it’s fucking baffling. Why they continue to compare an rpg to something that clearly isn’t is beyond me.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #438 on: April 02, 2019, 08:18:51 PM »
Even with a great non Souls game Souls fans make me want to choke them. :stop “it’s not Souls” omg why does it need it be?

So. Fucking. Annoying.

The trash heap of gaming.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 08:26:32 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #439 on: April 02, 2019, 08:43:54 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/kawaiijetty/status/1112979150363602944

Most games are like this. There are two harder modes. Ninja Gaiden and DMC get easy once you’ve mastered them and then you can bump up the difficulty next game. So many games are like this. So many hard, crushing games.

These people are from another planet.

“There’s nothing to do except raise the difficulty in NG+”

Jesus Christ. It’s like their gaming taste is comparable to a child’s favorite food choices. Ice cream, every damn day.
IYKYK

naff

« Reply #440 on: April 02, 2019, 09:04:19 PM »
It's a very specific style of RPG. I don't think wanting iterations on soulsborne RPGs is that dissimilar from wanting a new capcom fighter, NBA 2kx, etc etc.

I have no doubt they will continue with nu-souls/souls style games, and I love that From is pacing themselves with them and breaking away from being one note. I may not be into it, but I'd be down to see what Miyazaki does with a Battle Royale (something he talked about in an interview a lil while back). The world building in souls lends itself to all sorts of adventures within the same location adding new aspects to the lore with each age they explore. I would be a lil' gutted if they never return to that world.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:09:16 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #441 on: April 02, 2019, 09:10:48 PM »
The problem is that From can’t make anything without Souls fans comparing it to Souls and expecting the exact same experience when the developers specifically said that it wasn’t Souls. And a very specific kind of RPG? An isolative rpg with difficulty and emphasis on customization/player choice? Play an SMT game then or any dungeon crawler worth its shit (Diablo 1 for instance).

Even in the story department there’s nothing unique about Souls. Many Japanese games have their bread and butter based on minimalist story design to emphasize interpretation, isolation, non-linear storytelling, or mood which force the player to piece together lore (or the story even) in an analytical way. Some quick examples would be Silent Hill 2, Shin Megami Tensei III, Shadow of the Colossus, and Rule of Rose. If it’s something recent you want give Etrian Odyssey games a chance?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:14:56 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

naff

« Reply #442 on: April 02, 2019, 09:14:35 PM »
eh, you're cherry picking a tiny minority and calling it a problem
◕‿◕

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #443 on: April 02, 2019, 09:32:49 PM »
A. Dark Souls is their main (or i should say "only", because all Armored Core fans have died of old age) claim to fame.
B. After Demon's Souls, they just kept doing Souls "clones" (Bloodborne is still a Souls clone) for 10 years (2009 - 2019).
C. Regardless, Sekiro has a very high metacritic and is generally praised and probably sold very well.

Like naff said, it's probably a loud minority being particularly obnoxious, and i think a comparison between the two titles is still in order, because Sekiro still retains some of that dna, however small.

I say this as someone who does generally find the Souls fanbase really annoying and thinks FROM did good, moving on from the old formula.

naff

« Reply #444 on: April 02, 2019, 09:41:43 PM »
naturally the internet amplifies the hot takes. the vast majority of reviewers and players are chill with this game and comprehend while it has similarities IT'S NOT SOULS GAIS AAAHHHH  :stop  :insane  :six:   :mjcry

◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #445 on: April 02, 2019, 10:36:05 PM »
Why does a game need a community? The game still has lots to find and lots of nooks and crannies. I found a hidden room in the Hirata estates. The game has a great story and lore that you slowly piece together the more you play. I simply do not get it. Wanting “builds” in a non rpg. It’s like Souls fans have never played a hard non-rpg before and it’s fucking baffling. Why they continue to compare an rpg to something that clearly isn’t is beyond me.
I'm not saying the game needs a community at all, in fact I've barely come in contact with the fanbase itself because it's full of whiny weirdos apu with people who identify with such communities.

What I was saying is that From's design choices that allow for deep diving into nooks of the game, replayability, open mechanics etc. that allow for people to keep coming to these games are what made them stand out and are games that will stand up as such for the foreseeable future of the hobby. A decade from now people will probably still be pointing to Dark Souls as something to check out.

I like the game, but this fun singleplayer action detour won't have nearly as much staying power or notoriety because of the way the designed it.

It's not a knock against the game, but it's just something to notice. :idont

This doesn't make any sense. "fun single player action detour" "A decade from now people will probably still be pointing to Dark Souls as something to check out." People still latch on to DMC3 and NGB. Those are "fun single player action detours" as well and yet people still made combo vids and master ninja runs a full decade after release. You are missing that most of the later game "easy" in Sekiro comes from skills. A no skill run would easily give longevity. The same is true for speed runs or a no stealth run. There is a lot of freedom available to Sekiro players and replayability.

People STILL make Master Ninja runs on youtube.

Shit, people even still play Mega Man 2 and that came out in the 80's.

Saying that a game can't have longevity or replayability because it lacks "builds" and it's a fun single player action game is fucking absurd. In Mega Man 2 the best weapon is the metal blade. It is without equal, and yet people still find new ways to make the game fun: p-shot only run, no hit run;etc.

This is why I can't stand Dark Souls fans. Dark. Souls. Isn't. Special.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 10:59:16 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

naff

« Reply #446 on: April 02, 2019, 11:16:00 PM »
I like the game, but this fun singleplayer action detour won't have nearly as much staying power or notoriety because of the way the designed it.

They're not saying it won't be a significant title for enthusiasts, but that it won't have as much staying power or notoriety as Souls (I think ultimately it will be lumped in as a spinoff despite it's differences). bu is def right. Say what you want, DeSo was the genesis of a new era in RPGs and is one of the most influential games in modern game design. 

Also Cindi, I've played all those games except Rule of Rose and SMTIII (played SMT Strange Journey, though understand it's fairly different to standard SMT titles). I feel you on some conceptual overlaps, but I see a lot of inspiration and similarities with other RPGs in Souls. Still a very unique title.
◕‿◕

shosta

« Reply #447 on: April 02, 2019, 11:18:57 PM »
ok but

每天生气

Coax

« Reply #448 on: April 03, 2019, 07:38:20 AM »
When you obtain a new ability from a mini boss... but you've already unlocked it in the ability tree under a different name (?) a while back... Sekiro pls. Has happened like three times.

Gratuitous ultrawides

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #449 on: April 03, 2019, 08:08:06 AM »
Holy shit the skill you get after beating Corrupted Monk  :o :o So many places I need to revisit now.
zzzzz

Svejk

« Reply #450 on: April 03, 2019, 11:53:13 AM »
Someone made a map for Sekiro.  **Obviously, possible spoilers**

[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #451 on: April 03, 2019, 02:42:47 PM »
Can you fuckers just play the damn game? Jesus Christ.

Post some progress updates instead of that "action genre purity" shit.
My brother just has two bosses left:
Owl 2 and the Sword Saint.
[close]

I haven't even done Genichiro yet, and i'm currently stuck at O'Rin. :doge

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #452 on: April 03, 2019, 03:40:02 PM »
You HAVE to parry Genichiro as well though right? Or were you just running away from him?  :doge
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #453 on: April 03, 2019, 04:08:15 PM »
That second boss fight on the rooftop though :tocry Yet another occasion during which I thought I might not beat the game. Pulled through after an hour or so though.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #454 on: April 03, 2019, 04:13:43 PM »
2 hours on the
Monk
[close]
and I never even reached the 3rd phase.

Yikes.

Oof.

I'll give him some more hours and then just drop the game. First boss in the entire game where you have to parry.

You can get two stealth deathblows. Then abuse the firecrackers.
[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #455 on: April 03, 2019, 05:14:50 PM »
2 hours on the
Monk
[close]
and I never even reached the 3rd phase.

Yikes.

Oof.

I'll give him some more hours and then just drop the game. First boss in the entire game where you have to parry.
I think you can remove 2 health bars from him with stealth (though i think one is a bug since they used it in a speedrun).

shosta

« Reply #456 on: April 03, 2019, 05:24:03 PM »
I think being able to get a second deathblow after the fog rolls in is definitely a bug  :doge
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 05:28:05 PM by shosta »
每天生气

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #457 on: April 03, 2019, 05:35:42 PM »
I think being able to get a second deathblow after the fog rolls in is definitely a bug  :doge
A true shinobi knows how to exploit a good bug.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #458 on: April 03, 2019, 05:55:38 PM »
near the sunken temple boss question

HOW THE FUCK COULD YOU EVER DEFEAT

That dog/giraffe claw fucker that comes at you with six attacks in a row and takes off so much off your prostate bar?
[close]
What

shosta

« Reply #459 on: April 03, 2019, 06:03:44 PM »
gokan sugar to protect your prostate
每天生气

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #460 on: April 03, 2019, 06:12:35 PM »
near the sunken temple boss question

HOW THE FUCK COULD YOU EVER DEFEAT

That dog/giraffe claw fucker that comes at you with six attacks in a row and takes off so much off your prostate bar?
[close]
Literally spam block as fast as you can, and jump on its head when you see the red warning sign.
If you spam fast enough you'll deflect enough of them (and block the others).

Otherwise be a sucker and learn to properly deflect like a scrub.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #461 on: April 03, 2019, 07:01:16 PM »
I can deflect all of them but my bar turns red after that, and I can get one hit in before he winds up another 6 attacks lol
What

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #462 on: April 03, 2019, 07:24:21 PM »
I can deflect all of them but my bar turns red after that, and I can get one hit in before he winds up another 6 attacks lol
There's not even a need to get a hit in, your aim should be to get attacked (and deflect) until their guard breaks.
If it gets real bad, you can just use the shield, that should take very little posture damage, and you can catch a break.
Jumping on its head after a sweep, also damages the posture a lot.

Also remember that if you keep your guard up, your posture goes back down twice as fast.

Himu

« Reply #463 on: April 04, 2019, 12:47:08 AM »
Finally had time to sit and play some today. Fought Gen. Managed to beat him on third try and then....well...:doge

Turns out I didn’t beat him.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #464 on: April 04, 2019, 01:08:58 AM »
You HAVE to parry Genichiro as well though right? Or were you just running away from him?  :doge

Nah, run circles around him. He is easier than the 2nd Boss on the Castle Rooftops later on :doge

Genichiro’s meter goes too quickly to run around him without constant confrontation until it’s at least orange. That said he does a lot of avoidable attacks you can side step so I can see it.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 01:16:11 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Coax

« Reply #465 on: April 04, 2019, 01:33:29 AM »
You can Shadowrush him continuously in the first phase until he simply runs out of HP each time. For the final phase I countered his thrusts using Mikiri and went hard after him at close range (which worked super well, was down within like a minute). I found if playing it too defensively and keeping distance during that last phase he has too many opportunities to screw you (and despite following the tip couldn't get the Reversal counter to work).

Himu

« Reply #466 on: April 04, 2019, 01:37:48 AM »
I have only fought second form once. I felt trolled, died, and put up for the night. I’ll get him tomorrow.

I have no idea what shadow rush is.

From what I saw playing his second form, aggression is the item on the menu. Just go wild out.
IYKYK

Coax

« Reply #467 on: April 04, 2019, 01:45:20 AM »
I have no idea what shadow rush is.

Shadowrush is the last skill from the first skill tree tab (the one they all join to on the right side). It's a lunging thrust that covers a good distance and if you have spirit emblems to spare also sends the player into the air above the enemy's head for a little posture damage.

BikeJesus

« Reply #468 on: April 04, 2019, 01:46:36 AM »
Finally got some time to continue this game tonight. I feel like everything up until you beat the Bull is basically a tutorial. Now the game has opened up a bit.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #469 on: April 04, 2019, 05:06:37 AM »
Killed Genichiro last night after fighting him about 50 times rofl

I think I was maybe a bit underleveled or something, I went and worked my way up to senpou emple and after that went back to genichiro and got him on my third try.

Also killed some miniboss near senpou temple which was almost the same as that other dog giraffe monster with claws but this room had adds on top of that lol. Killed that thing too.

Still cant kill the one in the super small room
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #470 on: April 04, 2019, 08:48:53 AM »
I think after I got another prayer bead and hit 4 before attempting Genichiro it really improved my posture and hp to the point where I can beat these fools

The journey continues tonight!
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #471 on: April 04, 2019, 09:48:12 AM »
Yeah, watching an unedited video of him wailing on the same boss for like 6 hours and beating some of the bosses in the most boring way possible. Pure skill and not a war of attrition in any way, shape or form.

Himu

« Reply #472 on: April 05, 2019, 12:27:54 AM »
IYKYK

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #473 on: April 05, 2019, 01:26:40 AM »
Work has been nuts and even though I got my copy on day one I still haven't had a chance to play :stahp

Y'all suck.

El Babua

« Reply #474 on: April 05, 2019, 02:12:42 AM »
Ya same here.

Just got into the opening areas and that's it.

Planning to eat one of the 50mg THC capsules I got before playing Sekiro tomorrow night, then watch JoJo when it starts hitting hard  :doge

shosta

« Reply #475 on: April 05, 2019, 03:23:22 AM »
This is the catch-all From thread right?

每天生气

paprikastaude

« Reply #476 on: April 05, 2019, 01:31:28 PM »
Took me an hour and only afterwards I remembered I still had 3 strength- and 1 health upgrade to cash in  :notlikethis

Himu

« Reply #477 on: April 05, 2019, 01:41:36 PM »
If the last boss is *harder* than this fight then LOL... some tough times ahead.

I heard last boss isn't too bad once you get used to them.
IYKYK

Freyj

« Reply #478 on: April 05, 2019, 03:29:32 PM »
I think I beat Monk 2 in 3 tries. Return ending final boss took me 4.5 hours.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #479 on: April 05, 2019, 03:33:14 PM »
I still haven't beaten O'Rin.  :doge