Author Topic: Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (translator's note: Sekiro means ninja fuckery)  (Read 90171 times)

Himu

Re: Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (translator's note: Sekiro means ninja fuckery)
« Reply #240 on: March 26, 2019, 05:31:39 PM »
It's like this game was made specifically for me.

- Deep combat with heavy emphasis on defense.
- Sengoku era samurai political story fuck yes
- Dororo inspired prosthetic
- Japanese history and folklore
- The general aesthetic

FUCK

I felt nothing for Dark Souls but this game hasn't captured my imagination like a From game since Demon's.

I love this A LOT.

Did you play Nioh?

No. I played the demo and loved it.
IYKYK

Freyj

« Reply #241 on: March 26, 2019, 05:34:40 PM »
It's not impossible or that hard.  The issue is that Souls fans got too comfortable with their strats. It's been 5 games after all.

It doesn't work here at all. It's almost as Miyazaki told his designers to make a combat system and approach philosophy completely opposite from Souls.

It's why I hate that people are calling this a Souls game. Oh wow, it has bonfires and estus, whoop dee doo.

Where are you even at in Sekiro? This is easily the most difficult From game I’ve played to completion (this includes every other Souls game yes).

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #242 on: March 26, 2019, 05:39:10 PM »
As much as a I love From and the Souls series(by far my favorite series right now), hearing the unforgiving difficulty of this game and the scaled back RPG elements(I.E. no way to grind levels to take some of the edge off the difficulty) I honestly think I'm gonna skip it.

I'm not opposed to difficulty still, but I'm just past a point where I think I can bring myself to play a game where the possibility of metaphorically(or occasionally in reality) throwing or breaking a controller is in the cards. At least with Souls you could grind a bit or go on a side mission to find some crazy weapon. From my reading and hearing of everything that is almost non-existent here.

It's not impossible or that hard.  The issue is that Souls fans got too comfortable with their strats. It's been 5 games after all.

It doesn't work here at all. It's almost as Miyazaki told his designers to make a combat system and approach philosophy completely opposite from Souls.

pretty stoked they took a significantly different direction here. i play souls like a puzzle action series, there's no other rpg i've played that captures the enjoyment and satisfaction of exploration and success, rewarding methodical play and figuring out how to progress like souls does. seems like this still has a lot of those aspects, but strips back the fat, and is a little less enigmatic.
◕‿◕

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #243 on: March 26, 2019, 06:13:45 PM »
This game fuckin rules

Himu

« Reply #244 on: March 26, 2019, 06:32:18 PM »
This game is kicking my ass. :rejoice
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #245 on: March 26, 2019, 06:52:26 PM »
I haven’t played such a rewarding action game since Ninja Gaiden 2. Game of the generation. Can’t believe I’d like something more than Cuphead.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #246 on: March 26, 2019, 06:58:14 PM »
Slash, slash, firecracker. Circle back and strike rinse and repeat is a good way to get the vitality of quicker enemies down. Its the only way I was able to kill the fucking Ashina Spear midboss fuck me.
:9

Himu

« Reply #247 on: March 26, 2019, 06:59:47 PM »
This game requires fighting game discipline.

“I’m not going to attack, I’m going to wait for an opening and get the read.”

:rejoice
IYKYK

Coax

« Reply #248 on: March 26, 2019, 07:42:56 PM »
Slash, slash, firecracker. Circle back and strike rinse and repeat is a good way to get the vitality of quicker enemies down. Its the only way I was able to kill the fucking Ashina Spear midboss fuck me.

I remember using flame attacks for a couple attempts. That was the enemy that made me get better at Mikiri Counters since I realized a) the in-game menu note about it doesn't mention you're better off pressing forward+dodge than just dodge as it suggests and b) the timing changes for each enemy using a spear (ie: the delay between the unblockable signal and the time to successfully counter).

Ultimately ended up using a stealth deathblow first, then immediately the Ichimonji combat art (held down version) for a little initial posture damage, deflected his attacks and used Mikiri Counters, and in between land 2-3 hits mostly after he lands the jump attack which takes him a few seconds to recover from and also when he raised his spear in an overhead twirling motion.

Felt so damn good to finally get it all done successfully and only took about a minute of actual combat time, which felt longer given all the previous deaths :doge

Himu

« Reply #249 on: March 26, 2019, 08:03:24 PM »
This is how I beat the general and I wanted to share.

IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #250 on: March 26, 2019, 08:05:53 PM »
This is how I beat the general and I wanted to share.

Nice!  :lol

One thing I found with him is that you can run on the rooftops and jump down from behind.  You won't stealth kill him, but it will take away one lifebar.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #251 on: March 26, 2019, 08:11:19 PM »
Does he drop anything because I didn’t get shit.
IYKYK

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #252 on: March 26, 2019, 08:14:33 PM »
Just took down Tenzen Yamauchi

So far I’ve stealthed a free lifebar off every boss

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #253 on: March 26, 2019, 08:18:13 PM »
It's not impossible or that hard
Nah, it's pretty fucking hard. Souls imprinting doesn't help things, but even when you compare it to other notoriously hard games (like Ninja Gaiden) it definitely qualifies as hard as fuck.
You're right that's not impossible but probably above the threshold of a lot of people who thought Souls was already pushing it.
If you're used to playing action games like NG, Godhand, DMC, or fighting games somewhat competitively, then that's another story, but to most people, this is probably the hardest game they'll come across in a while.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #254 on: March 26, 2019, 08:18:36 PM »

Don't remember. 
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #255 on: March 26, 2019, 08:21:54 PM »
It's not impossible or that hard
Nah, it's pretty fucking hard. Souls imprinting doesn't help things, but even when you compare it to other notoriously hard games (like Ninja Gaiden) it definitely qualifies as hard as fuck.
You're right that's not impossible but probably above the threshold of a lot of people who thought Souls was already pushing it.
If you're used to playing action games like NG, Godhand, DMC, or fighting games somewhat competitively, then that's another story, but to most people, this is probably the hardest game they'll come across in a while.

I play fighting games competitively and it’s pretty darn hard.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #256 on: March 26, 2019, 08:42:32 PM »

I remember using flame attacks for a couple attempts. That was the enemy that made me get better at Mikiri Counters since I realized a) the in-game menu note about it doesn't mention you're better off pressing forward+dodge than just dodge as it suggests and b) the timing changes for each enemy using a spear (ie: the delay between the unblockable signal and the time to successfully counter).

Ultimately ended up using a stealth deathblow first, then immediately the Ichimonji combat art (held down version) for a little initial posture damage, deflected his attacks and used Mikiri Counters, and in between land 2-3 hits mostly after he lands the jump attack which takes him a few seconds to recover from and also when he raised his spear in an overhead twirling motion.

Felt so damn good to finally get it all done successfully and only took about a minute of actual combat time, which felt longer given all the previous deaths :doge

I think thats what was messing with me. I was always dodging off center so the mikiri counter wouldn't engage. Man, whoever thought of that skill is a monster. It requires a leap of faith to roll into an otherwise unblockable attack that will take off a shitload of health. Spear wielders are my nemesis.

On the flip I'm finally getting over contantly roll dodging. It cant be overstated that this game wants you to stand toe to toe with these enemies so trying to roll and strike will always be a recipe for frustration.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:41:33 PM by BlueTsunami »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #257 on: March 26, 2019, 08:57:04 PM »
BTW i love that in this game you can completely remap the controller, so you can map the attacks to the face buttons (always hate the attacking with bumpers bullshit that FROM does).
Especially since the bumpers in these fucking xbox controllers are made of paper, apparently.

Himu

« Reply #258 on: March 26, 2019, 09:23:56 PM »
I like this game so much I’m considering getting the Souls trilogy for PS4 and give the series another try.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #259 on: March 26, 2019, 10:31:35 PM »
I like this game so much I’m considering getting the Souls trilogy for PS4 and give the series another try.
30 fps. :kobeyuck

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #260 on: March 26, 2019, 11:09:07 PM »

Did not know that- thought they were 60 FPS on PS4. 
:leon
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #261 on: March 26, 2019, 11:12:44 PM »

Digital. :kobeyuck
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #263 on: March 26, 2019, 11:28:25 PM »
There's a physical copy.

https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/dark-souls-trilogy/167297

???

He’s saying PS4 version is 30 FPS. Which implies that the steam version is superior. Steam is a digital only platform. I’m literally saying I’d rather sacrifice 60 FPS for a physical copy.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 11:36:50 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #264 on: March 26, 2019, 11:42:12 PM »

Actually 1 and 2 are probably 60fps on ps4. 3 is 30 and unlocked on pro I think (which makes it worse since it hovers in the uncanny 45 valley).
Personally I loathe having phisical discs taking space tho so that isn't an issue for me.

Himu

« Reply #265 on: March 26, 2019, 11:50:55 PM »
This game is full of nooks and crannies
IYKYK

naff

« Reply #266 on: March 26, 2019, 11:54:53 PM »
Actually 1 and 2 are probably 60fps on ps4. 3 is 30 and unlocked on pro I think (which makes it worse since it hovers in the uncanny 45 valley).
Personally I loathe having phisical discs taking space tho so that isn't an issue for me.

yeah, i remember some issues regarding framerates on the pc and ps4/xbone version of DkS2  :lol

DkS3 is the first i played at 60fps. articles like this https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-dark-souls-remastered-console-pc-face-off bagging on reduced resolution, when there's a clear focus on getting better framerates are so dumb. hurr durr RDR2 looked so good at 30fps.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 12:00:16 AM by naff »
◕‿◕

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #267 on: March 27, 2019, 12:00:26 AM »

yeah, i remember some issues regarding framerates on the pc and ps4/xbone version of DkS2  :lol

DkS3 is the first i played at 60fps. articles like this https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-dark-souls-remastered-console-pc-face-off bagging on reduced resolution, when there's a clear focus on getting better framerates are so dumb. hurr durr RDR2 looked so good at 30fps.

:piss res whores :piss2
I played all 3 on pc and 1 also on ps3.
Dks2 was pretty damn smooth for me, but of course looked liked a turd.
Dks3 still ran decently while looking good.
Dks1 was the problematic one because you needed the DSfix or whatever it was called and still had bugs with stairs and such.
But then the remaster fixed that stuff I think.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #268 on: March 27, 2019, 12:03:57 AM »

I'm a collector, but ultimately if I were to go back and try Dark Souls again I think it would be on Steam whenever the remastered version gets really cheap.  I waited to get the PS4 versions of all three games that way and also got a physical copy of Bloodborne GOTY Edition that has all the DLC on the disc- North America didn't get it as usual.  Can't say I really feel like playing those games right now since Sekiro plays so much better to me.
ど助平

naff

« Reply #269 on: March 27, 2019, 12:09:42 AM »
lol, my late edit  :lol it's a real bugbear for me we have all this hardware that would easily allow for more detail and higher framerates (at lower res), but instead there's an emphasis on rendering at 4k with the "pro" consoles. i get it, it's an easily sellable number. it makes sense, and keeps the plebs happy. it's pointless to be mad.

DSFix never worked very well for me either, but that was very early in it's release. i imagine it's fine now. My pc copy of DkS1 is more or less unplayed. ran through it a few times on og xbox, will prob pick it up on switch at some point.

Sounds like Sekiro still has some optimisation/nice to have pc features missing, but mostly seems From has sorted out their shit for PC releases now. pretty hard to believe it still hovers between 30-40 on the pro/x tho.
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #270 on: March 27, 2019, 12:21:16 AM »
 I’ve played this since I got it today. Gdlk. Been years a non-fighting game has done that to me.
IYKYK

Coax

« Reply #271 on: March 27, 2019, 12:54:55 AM »

Yeah, a Prayer Bead (collect four of them from such mini bosses for leveling up vitality/posture) and a Gourd Seed (another one for health regen). I checked since I take screenshots of most things for occasional reference of locations/names/etc :P

I'm guessing since you received some spirit emblems that he has been registered as dead (wouldn't hurt to respawn and check) though surprising it didn't give it to you all the same.

naff

« Reply #272 on: March 27, 2019, 01:07:41 AM »
happened to me a few times in ds. sometimes id quit out, return, and items would be back at the original spawn. sometimes not.
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #273 on: March 27, 2019, 01:11:25 AM »

Yeah, a Prayer Bead (collect four of them from such mini bosses for leveling up vitality/posture) and a Gourd Seed (another one for health regen). I checked since I take screenshots of most things for occasional reference of locations/names/etc :P

I'm guessing since you received some spirit emblems that he has been registered as dead (wouldn't hurt to respawn and check) though surprising it didn't give it to you all the same.

It didn’t count. I had to beat him again to get them.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #274 on: March 27, 2019, 01:14:09 AM »
Stuck on Jurou the Drunk but there’s a side path that leads to another part of the estate and I’m going to explore that.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 01:20:57 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #275 on: March 27, 2019, 03:36:32 AM »

Get Bloodborne instead. Seriously.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #276 on: March 27, 2019, 06:01:37 AM »
Some of the later upgrades (LVL4) of my arm sound CRAZY!

Are they really good against bosses or it's just the description making them so? I.e. the Gouge Shuriken/ Magic Kunai should deal at least 25% of boss damage bar when all Mana spent, right?

Pls no spoilers.

The shuriken is only really good for lower enemies, long range enemies or a momentary distraction for enemies with sword like weapons

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #277 on: March 27, 2019, 07:08:13 AM »
Ahh, ok, so the Upgrades do not increase damage only add some special effects.

Crap :(

Oh they def cause more damage but, ss far as the shuriken, the higher damage seems to exist to keep pace with stronger long range enemies. Its a really useful prosthetic for taking out archers from a crowd since it wont alert everyone else. Although I'm only on the lv3 shurikens so I'm not sure what the higher level ones will do to melee enemies.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #278 on: March 27, 2019, 08:15:50 AM »
Im just enjoying reading you guys play this, will prob get it at some point and dust off the ps4

Svejk

« Reply #279 on: March 27, 2019, 08:31:19 AM »
Would love to see From touch back on some Otogi 3 also..  Lawd, would that game be gorgeous!

Coax

« Reply #280 on: March 27, 2019, 09:37:56 AM »
Bonus Prayer Bead in chest within secret room from Hirata Estate Audience Chamber. Who knew!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Discovered via a Reddit comment for something else. Functions like the Headless doorway in the Senpou locale but disguised. Also has a few other items within. I wonder how many other potential secret doorways there are now.

Hug the wall where the painting is on the right side here:

[close]

Himu

« Reply #281 on: March 27, 2019, 10:13:22 AM »
Borys said that the prosthetics are pointless and I really really disagree.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #282 on: March 27, 2019, 10:24:37 AM »
https://m.
IYKYK

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #283 on: March 27, 2019, 10:42:53 AM »
The firecracker prosthetic is incredibly useful.

The combat clicked with me last night and now I'm having an absolute blast with this game. As much as I love DS, deflecting flurries of attacks feels soooo much more satisfying than dodge rolling around like a lunatic.
zzzzz

Himu

« Reply #284 on: March 27, 2019, 10:59:23 AM »

No shame in being corrected then.

Are you actively using them? Are you depending on them?

I mean it’s impossible to kill shield enemies without axe, ogre without fire;etc
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #285 on: March 27, 2019, 11:15:18 AM »
The firecracker prosthetic is incredibly useful.

The combat clicked with me last night and now I'm having an absolute blast with this game. As much as I love DS, deflecting flurries of attacks feels soooo much more satisfying than dodge rolling around like a lunatic.

If you have the midair prosthetic skill, you can counter jump a swing or hold deathblow and rain down firecrackers on the enemy. The way this game allows these abilities to seamlessly add to a combo stream is blowing my mind.

Himu

« Reply #286 on: March 27, 2019, 11:21:00 AM »
What’s firecracker do?
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #287 on: March 27, 2019, 11:29:50 AM »
What’s firecracker do?

They scare beasts but also paralyze humanoid characters for two or so seconds. It can also be chained with sword swings. So swing twice, then R2 will seamlessly throw the firecrackers.

Himu

« Reply #288 on: March 27, 2019, 11:54:45 AM »
This game needs a bank - somewhere where you can invest your money in case of death. Grinding for cash is already easy so why not.
IYKYK

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #289 on: March 27, 2019, 11:57:40 AM »
This game needs a bank - somewhere where you can invest your money in case of death. Grinding for cash is already easy so why not.

You can buy the gold pouches for 110 and when you pop them they give you back 100. Though I think there's a limited number you can buy.
zzzzz

Svejk

« Reply #290 on: March 27, 2019, 12:01:21 PM »
Anybody know if there's any DLC planned?

Himu

« Reply #291 on: March 27, 2019, 12:25:34 PM »

I mean it’s impossible to kill shield enemies without axe, ogre without fire;etc

:lol

No. I beat him without discovering the fire.

How

did you cheese the AI?
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #292 on: March 27, 2019, 12:40:58 PM »
There's a physical copy.

https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/dark-souls-trilogy/167297

???

He’s saying PS4 version is 30 FPS. Which implies that the steam version is superior. Steam is a digital only platform. I’m literally saying I’d rather sacrifice 60 FPS for a physical copy.

???

Where the f can I find the flamethrower?

I also beat the big chained uo dude (ogre?) without fire
What

Himu

« Reply #293 on: March 27, 2019, 12:44:16 PM »
I don't remember where I got the flame thrower. Hirata estates maybe?
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #294 on: March 27, 2019, 12:52:10 PM »

:lol

No. I beat him without discovering the fire.

How

did you cheese the AI?

I also beat him without the flame vent. I was basically able to get behind it, get a stealth kill, then kill it by bringing its health down. As big and aggressive as it is, youre able to block and deflect its attacks. Once its vitality is low you can start to build up its posture meter.

And yeah the flamr vent it at the estate

spoiler (click to show/hide)
in one of the campfires near the beginning
[close]
. It would have helped a lot though.

Himu

« Reply #295 on: March 27, 2019, 12:54:38 PM »
Riiiiight. The flame vent is near three guys in the estate huddled around a fire. Inspect the fire to grab it.

I found the Ogre's attacks harder to parry. Like his jumping kick attack. Christ the forward range.

I wish there were an option to refight bosses in a menu on the start screen or at the Undying's place.
IYKYK

Freyj

« Reply #296 on: March 27, 2019, 01:02:32 PM »
The firecrackers are situationally useful for bosses that are stunned by them. It’s a good “I fucked up please give me a few seconds” tool. Shurikens can also interrupt some attacks.

Mostly though bosses are about pattern recognition and less about load outs. That’s my main complaint with Sekiro honestly: I’d much rather the reactionary combat of Soulsborne than memorizing telegraphs.

Himu

« Reply #297 on: March 27, 2019, 01:22:29 PM »
I'm having a blast watching others play this game and how our play styles are entirely different.

Look at this shit.

IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #298 on: March 27, 2019, 01:40:37 PM »
Anybody know if there's any DLC planned?

For sure, Goty edition will be mine :)

Freyj

« Reply #299 on: March 27, 2019, 01:45:07 PM »
FUCK THIS HIRATA BOSS I WAS SO CLOSE (5% last health left)

:teehee