Author Topic: Streets Of Rage 4  (Read 58444 times)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: Streets Of Rage 4 - Out Now
« Reply #360 on: April 30, 2020, 07:59:13 PM »
biggest gripe so far is we don't get to play as cool swat cop boss lady

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #361 on: April 30, 2020, 08:00:35 PM »
biggest gripe so far is we don't get to play as cool swat cop boss lady

Pretty sure she's gotta be an unlockable. Considering her power is calling in the police car.
What

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #362 on: April 30, 2020, 08:02:24 PM »
jesus CHRIST this game is good. i was expecting something fun but good lord this plays so smooth. the improvements to combat are great, you don't need roll lol. the levels are quick but feel great. best part is that each character feels unique and is incredibly fun to play as. i see everyone mentioning cherry but don't skip over the other new character either, he has a bunch of great moves to clear an area. i just beat the game on normal and I'm ready to jump back in on hard. they fucking nailed it with this one.
pcp

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #363 on: April 30, 2020, 08:02:32 PM »
Confirms the Windows Store version has problems and is missing options the Steam version has:

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/digitalfoundry-2020-streets-of-rage-4-switch-xbox-one-port-analysis

Yeah guess not and yes I chose Hard because most games on normal are baby mode these days :P

Seems hard is rly hard 🤦‍♂️

Play on normal first and get a feel for things.

It took some time to confirm this because - once again - we encountered issues running software from the Windows Store. On one machine, Streets of Rage 4 would simply quit after loading. Installing on another PC worked out.

All's well just gotta get my other PC and install it on there! Thanks Eurogamer. Champions
What

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #364 on: April 30, 2020, 08:13:38 PM »
Yeah this game is super tight. Positive Touch and I finished the story in coop in one sitting. I get the impression there’s a ton of unlockables.
Unzip

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #365 on: April 30, 2020, 08:26:47 PM »
Blaze might actually be my best character. Run and dodge I guess are tools I abuse too much lol. Yeah the big guy is good as well.

Also Blaze's jump kick seems to beat out Rubys so thats cool. Barbon still kicking my ass though.

Edit: Beat him Blaze. My girl  :'(
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 08:33:56 PM by toku »

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #366 on: April 30, 2020, 08:36:01 PM »
Played till like level 6 with my girlfriend last night. We got D C B B B on our level ranks. Man A or is there even an S grade must be pretty fucking hard to get because we blew through level 5.

I played Cherry and she was on Blaze. Blaze looks so good in this game :aah

I keep fucking up though and doing the back attack in combos by accident. IDK why. Maybe it's fight n' rage muscle memory making me go for the jump after the launcher. Game feels so good. Can't wait until I really get to grips with the systems and start beating ass. It's refreshing how old school it is. Need to get back to basics, use throws for cc and shit like that.

Really keen to try Adam. 

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #367 on: April 30, 2020, 08:43:53 PM »
I fucking hate the back attack. Can I disable that trash?
fat

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #368 on: April 30, 2020, 08:48:47 PM »
I fucking hate the back attack. Can I disable that trash?
are you my brain last night?

wanna at least turn off the fucking jump+attack shortcut

Himu

« Reply #369 on: April 30, 2020, 09:01:09 PM »

This looks aight. I'm not a big SoR fan (I prefer Capcom beat em ups) but this looks like it'll scratch the itch. I'll check it down the line when I have the money.
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #370 on: April 30, 2020, 09:24:54 PM »
This looks aight. I'm not a big SoR fan (I prefer Capcom beat em ups) but this looks like it'll scratch the itch. I'll check it down the line when I have the money.
It's $25 I think (not sure, I got it on gamepass). What console you plan on getting it on?

Himu

« Reply #371 on: April 30, 2020, 09:28:02 PM »
It's $25 I think (not sure, I got it on gamepass). What console you plan on getting it on?

Switch
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #372 on: April 30, 2020, 09:48:26 PM »
Whether you think this OST can live up to the OG's or not, Yuzo balled out on the main menu theme:

I even think that is pretty weak for a main theme. It sounds much better as a end game credits rolling kinda song. The exerpt he put out on his Twitter sounded better than that.
But if you compare it to the GOAT, you can't deny this is better

What

Himu

« Reply #373 on: April 30, 2020, 09:49:28 PM »
Watching my friend play and it actually looks pretty great. Stage 2 and the commissioner :obama
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #374 on: April 30, 2020, 10:17:27 PM »
The last boss just kicked my ass...

Beezy

« Reply #375 on: April 30, 2020, 10:54:27 PM »
Whooped the last boss this time and got my very first A on the final stage. This game makes me happy as hell. I need to play it again on co-op tomorrow.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #376 on: April 30, 2020, 10:54:43 PM »
Did y'all know there's secret classic SOR bosses in classic stages? Reminds me of Doom 2016. Somehow I found the arcade missions but never find myself in those levels, yet I saw someone break one on stream and was surprised cause I broke every machine I found.

It looks like the secret to accessing the fights is to pick up a taser and zap an arcade machine with it!
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #377 on: April 30, 2020, 10:56:23 PM »
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #378 on: April 30, 2020, 11:00:30 PM »
the couple secret arcade machines i found i smashed with plain old fists
pcp

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #379 on: April 30, 2020, 11:02:31 PM »
I even think that is pretty weak for a main theme. It sounds much better as a end game credits rolling kinda song. The exerpt he put out on his Twitter sounded better than that.
But if you compare it to the GOAT, you can't deny this is better

That's a remix of an older SOR track, the track up there is new composition. I wasn't comparing them either.

I can understand that you really love SORR, it's a great fan game. But you need stop being so fixated on comparing them. One is a compilation of sorts of the OG's made by fans who added as much as they could, the other is a brand new game following up the OG's. It's not the remake though I'm sure it took some inspiration from it. You can like SORR better, but acting upset over SOR4 not being SORR is not doing you any favors. It was never going to be it.

I don't understand why not. Streets of Rage Remake is clearly the pinnacle of the Streets of Rage series. It combines the best elements of all Streets of Rage games into one gem of a game.

Don't like running/rolling? Turn it on/off
Don't want weapons to have health etc? Turn it on/off
Don't like the special combo style? Change it to SoR1 or SoR2 style

Want to play just the SOR1 / SOR 2 / SOR 3 levels you can. Oh also we have a new route with entire new maps/stages to go through. And they also all have branching paths.

The fact that it was a fan made game shouldnt matter. In fact if a team of fans can create something that stands above official releases, I'm inclined to say its a bit sad to see that paid developers cannot produce something on par or better.

The fact that this game (so far, stage 6) isn't doing anything new or interesting is sad. Okay the health regain mechanic is nice, and so is throwing a weapon and catching it. But that is very minor additions.

The fact that most levels have two or three screens, before you get to a boss is .. lame. No branching paths? What? It feels very by the numbers.

In some cases, there is no GO arrow displayed on screen. Enemies swarm you, but you barely have any defensive options to deal with them. They stay out of your reach, and while you move towards them, another enemy is charging up an unblockable attack, or a knife dude comes running at you.

There being no roll severely hurts the game. Try playing on hard without Cherry in one player mode, and see how fucked it is. I would be interested to see it really. Maybe I'm just playing it wrong.

I am saying this is a bad game by any means. Yes this is something new, but that doesn't make it automatically better than something old. And it being made by a team of paid devs actually makes it so much less impressive, than what a team of hard working fans put together.

All the music in SoRR is miles ahead of what I've heard from the game so far. It lacks oomph, it doesn't pump me up at all. And neither do the sound effects, they also lack oomph.

I will continue playing tomorrow, I want to unlock those SoR3 characters and see how they impact gameplay. I imagine the game feel much better with it.

You see the game uses SoR 3 enemies and AI, but it doesn't give you the tools to deal with them in a creative way. The only way to get out of shit is just to mash your special attack and hope you dont get hit on wakeup to recover your health.

Im also sure in coop even on hard you can still steamroll stages itself, not in solo play.

I think adding some defensive options like Fight n Rage has would be greatly appreciated. A parry maybe? A well timed block? Something man. Something new. The enemies have all this mobility and you get jack shnozz.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 11:14:56 PM by MMaRsu »
What

Himu

« Reply #380 on: April 30, 2020, 11:18:07 PM »
Holy shit the crt mode in the preview thumbnail from above video looks like an actual Genesis game. Incredible.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #381 on: April 30, 2020, 11:21:31 PM »
I watched some streams of this earlier and it looks badass. You can play in retro CRT mode and retro soundtrack.
©@©™

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #382 on: April 30, 2020, 11:23:43 PM »
Too bad the retro ost selection is garbage and even plays boss music when not on a boss. And then not play boss music when ur fighting brandon for instance. Afterthought much?

The retro filter is cool though
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #383 on: April 30, 2020, 11:28:33 PM »
They really should make it easier to get 1UPs or ease up on the fucking invincibility frames these fucks have.

Hopefully they'll put out some patches to fix some of these glaring issues.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #384 on: May 01, 2020, 12:01:07 AM »
The final couple chapters are just WTF on what's going on lmfao

I want to see some high level gameplay from people cause I feel like something isn't clicking for score. I see people on the leaderboard with over 200,000 on a level. HOW
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #385 on: May 01, 2020, 12:08:15 AM »
Of course all the cops are white

Nice racism

Of course all the guys with guns are black

Nice racism
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #386 on: May 01, 2020, 01:15:46 AM »
Confirms the Windows Store version has problems and is missing options the Steam version has:

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/digitalfoundry-2020-streets-of-rage-4-switch-xbox-one-port-analysis

Yeah guess not and yes I chose Hard because most games on normal are baby mode these days :P

Yeah, Windows Store version isn't even booting for me. :|

Beezy

« Reply #387 on: May 01, 2020, 01:25:53 AM »
Just beat it again on hard with a friend. This game  :rejoice

DJ Bedroom

« Reply #388 on: May 01, 2020, 02:24:47 AM »
I like Axel as like a homeless guy
Blaze turns small pp into big pp
Cherry is objectively the best character to play cuz she knows how to run
Games good

Bebpo

« Reply #389 on: May 01, 2020, 04:39:22 AM »
Got it to boot once after like 20 attempts on the Game Pass/Windows Store version.

And then I got to find out that it's one of the many windows store version games that breaks the d-pad diagonals and forces you to play on the analog sticks. MvC Infinite was like that too. I think maybe every windows store game has that issue but most games don't use d-pad for anything besides left/right/up/down these days so it's not noticeable outside fighters or 2d kind of games. So even when they patch the windows store version to boot properly it's probably always going to not work with the d-pad.

Game Pass is awesome, but windows store is such trash.

For $22 I'll just buy the steam version and not have to put up with this shit.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #390 on: May 01, 2020, 07:41:24 AM »
@Exo thank you for responding, I appreciate it. I'll reply with more details later. Suffice to say, disagree with a lot of your points about this game's combat. I don't find it interesting or challenging, and the only way to get out of bullshit is to so
pam your special. That doesnt seem like good gameplay design to me.
What

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #391 on: May 01, 2020, 08:43:27 AM »
quit playing on hard when you suck at it
pcp

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #392 on: May 01, 2020, 09:01:15 AM »
I already stopped playing on hard and started over on normal. Made it to stage 7.

The fact that special and backwards throw is your only way to get out of bullshit because of iframes to me is crap.

That has nothing to do with the difficulty level, but it's more apparant on hard.

It's a game mechanic.
What

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #393 on: May 01, 2020, 09:09:41 AM »
someone relied to heavily on dodge and roll

Svejk

« Reply #394 on: May 01, 2020, 09:23:35 AM »
Been debating whether to turn off some of the quick back attacks.  Sometimes it annoys me and I get pummled, sometimes it saves my ass... I may just try the legacy controls, but I like picking up items with a separate button.  Decisions.

Otherwise, this game radiates SOR vibes in a lot of great ways.  I'm digging it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #395 on: May 01, 2020, 09:35:08 AM »
I already stopped playing on hard and started over on normal. Made it to stage 7.

The fact that special and backwards throw is your only way to get out of bullshit because of iframes to me is crap.

That has nothing to do with the difficulty level, but it's more apparant on hard.

It's a game mechanic.

Get movement and spacing down, learn combos, and stop button mashing so you won't be in those situations so much.
ど助平

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #396 on: May 01, 2020, 09:40:29 AM »

It's a game mechanic.

Get movement and spacing down, learn combos, and stop button mashing so you won't be in those situations so much.

Yeah honestly slowing down is a big part of why I like Blaze and Axel. Actually learning the utility of your combos no matter how basic or not flashy etc.

On the scoring system front, in story mode at least it seems you definitely want to be clearing levels with a lot of health, extra lives and as many stars as possible. Clearing Stage 2 consistently on normal with 5 stars, 3 lives and maybe quarter health seems to net me a B grade nearly every time?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #397 on: May 01, 2020, 10:00:49 AM »
Here's an S-rank on Hard and it doesn't seem like there's some "trick". The extreme scores on the leaderboard have to be a cheat or bug of some kind, this guy only gets 28k for an S-rank.

- Don't lose health + lives (seems like the biggest factor with a 7,000 score at the end)
- Stay full when eating food - you get points instead
- Don't worry about making sick combos for score
- Don't use star power (but also seems like the least biggest factor in score, only 500 points per star)
- Go... fast? I guess? It seems like this guy took his time (only 2,800 score at the end)

fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #398 on: May 01, 2020, 10:02:22 AM »
Got the LRG LE- didn't sell right out like they predicted.
ど助平

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #399 on: May 01, 2020, 10:04:51 AM »

lol yeah that was easy.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #400 on: May 01, 2020, 10:08:30 AM »

lol yeah that was easy.

Sold out now.  So it took a few minutes instead of a few seconds, for once.  I see there's also ANOTHER bundle with the vinyl soundtrack included for $200.
:dizzy
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #401 on: May 01, 2020, 10:14:07 AM »
Can you still stun-lock enemies by slow punching?
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #402 on: May 01, 2020, 10:17:40 AM »
Here's an S-rank on Hard and it doesn't seem like there's some "trick". The extreme scores on the leaderboard have to be a cheat or bug of some kind, this guy only gets 28k for an S-rank.

- Don't lose health + lives (seems like the biggest factor with a 7,000 score at the end)
- Stay full when eating food - you get points instead
- Don't worry about making sick combos for score
- Don't use star power (but also seems like the least biggest factor in score, only 500 points per star)
- Go... fast? I guess? It seems like this guy took his time (only 2,800 score at the end)

that makes sense since I had around 20-21k for the B rank

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #403 on: May 01, 2020, 10:30:13 AM »

No they stopped that
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #404 on: May 01, 2020, 11:50:59 AM »
Did great on stage 11 only to die to the boss with just a tiny tiny sliver of health left. Then I kept getting shitted on in the stage itself.

Doh!
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #405 on: May 01, 2020, 11:52:16 AM »
Did great on stage 11 only to die to the boss with just a tiny tiny sliver of health left. Then I kept getting shitted on in the stage itself.

Doh!

Mr. Y?  He was a super-easy boss fight.  Just stay right up on him and he won't be able to shoot you.
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #406 on: May 01, 2020, 11:53:11 AM »

Doh!

Mr. Y?  He was a super-easy boss fight.  Just stay right up on him and he won't be able to shoot you.

Yeah I know in the top right he cant even hit you. I hit with a rocket twice or some shit. And at the start I didnt expect him to shoot diagonally heh.
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #407 on: May 01, 2020, 12:29:45 PM »
Hit 21k on Stage 1 (Normal) and got an A rank

Hit 25k on Stage 2 (Normal) and got an S rank

Curious if stages have different requirements or its a flat requirement across all levels / difficulties

It seems like to get a good rank you simply ignore the FLASHY COOL COMBOS WOW system
fat

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #408 on: May 01, 2020, 01:28:08 PM »

No they stopped that

Cancelling my preorder.
©@©™

DJ Bedroom

« Reply #409 on: May 01, 2020, 03:54:05 PM »
How the fuck do you even live on the elevator part in the tower level

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #410 on: May 01, 2020, 03:55:50 PM »
Some scenes do not scale well at all on 1P

It'll be pretty standard like a few enemies then suddenly [everyone] surrounds you like where the fuck did you guys come from
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #411 on: May 01, 2020, 04:05:45 PM »

Easiest way to cheese it is to backthrow them off the elevator
What

DJ Bedroom

« Reply #412 on: May 01, 2020, 04:11:16 PM »

Those two karate guys fuck my shit up every time but I'm too stubborn to use assists or drop it to easy

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #413 on: May 01, 2020, 04:38:55 PM »
Scores are definitely level based, I got 16k points on Stage 4 (Normal) and got S rank.
fat

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #414 on: May 01, 2020, 04:57:41 PM »
I wish I could jump up and down. Having characters walk and run in all directions whereas the jump is locked in two directions feels weird.
Unzip

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #415 on: May 01, 2020, 05:05:25 PM »

Those two karate guys fuck my shit up every time but I'm too stubborn to use assists or drop it to easy

I also want to complete it on normal at least without assists
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #416 on: May 01, 2020, 05:23:20 PM »
I just beat it on Normal without assists - S rank too

Maybe u should get gud Mmarsu haha XD omegalul

https://i.imgur.com/I2sLETR.png

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/demi/screenshot/16445190
fat

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #417 on: May 01, 2020, 06:08:18 PM »
lol does mmarsu even have a single platinum

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #418 on: May 01, 2020, 06:28:40 PM »
What did you think overall, demi? Interested in your viewpoint.

I just finished a playthrough (Axel - Normal) and it was much better the second time - mostly A/S ranks

I think it's fun, but the armor/i-frames enemies get is annoying along with their sudden wake-ups.
The worst enemy is easily the tazer-cops their grab is stupid and can get you from half screen.

Gonna play with all characters for the achievements. Just unlocked Skate ("All SOR2 Characters") so I imagine SOR3 characters are next
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #419 on: May 01, 2020, 07:36:56 PM »
lol does mmarsu even have a single platinum

Hehe probably not, I dont go in for that. I play for fun!
What