Author Topic: Streets Of Rage 4  (Read 57881 times)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: Streets Of Rage 4 - Out Now
« Reply #480 on: May 03, 2020, 03:53:40 PM »
demi a monster

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #481 on: May 03, 2020, 09:20:33 PM »
There's a reason these are only done on 1v1 battles in boss rush, you really don't have the opportunity to do stuff like this in the story mode
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #482 on: May 03, 2020, 10:36:12 PM »
I love how almost every post makes me think of Demi more like this guy

(Image removed from quote.)

Its fuckin true tho. Achievements revolutionised gaming

Bebpo

« Reply #483 on: May 03, 2020, 10:37:40 PM »
Got to stage 10, still liking it but the game is weird. Difficulty is all over the place.

Like a lot of these enemies are really easy because they can be thrown, like the Muay Thai guys and Karate guys I just throw them back and forth. Hell even the fire breathing guys can be thrown and I thought you couldn't throw them in the original because of their weight. So like on the elevator stage, I just broke a window and tossed everyone out. Ez pz. And then Max had very telegraphed easy to avoid attacks. Even Shiva was pretty easy.

But then you have earlier stages with all these shield guys, super armor grab cops and bosses like commissioner with all his super armor and 75% screen instant grabs (and double team on the train!) or that stage 5 karate guy and sections like the dojo in chinatown with 8 million guys and if you lose crowd control for a sec you're swarmed (first time on the stage didn't lose any health on the 2 dojo screens with the spears, 2nd time I lost 2 lives on those two screens).

It's just weird. Instead of progressively getting tougher, it's like you never know when a stage will be easy/hard and bosses easy/hard. Odd balance.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #484 on: May 03, 2020, 11:06:14 PM »
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #485 on: May 04, 2020, 01:53:44 AM »
Congrats - what was the hardest achievement?

Game seems a bit easier in co-op, me and a buddy blasted through many stages online until dying on the damn toxic gas level by getting juggled by that shit. Good game, looking forward to getting better. Currently enjoying Floyd as my main char

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #486 on: May 04, 2020, 06:10:16 AM »
I love how almost every post makes me think of Demi more like this guy

(Image removed from quote.)

Its fuckin true tho. Achievements revolutionised gaming

Haha no they didnt.
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #487 on: May 04, 2020, 09:51:46 AM »

Game seems a bit easier in co-op, me and a buddy blasted through many stages online until dying on the damn toxic gas level by getting juggled by that shit. Good game, looking forward to getting better. Currently enjoying Floyd as my main char

Hardest achievements are "Clear Arcade on Hard" and "S-rank Hard" I only say that because the rest are pretty easy.
Those two achievements weren't hard for me after playing the game a shitload for the "All Clear" achievements, but overall those would be my picks by default.

I did a playthrough on Mania for the last million because you get points if you clear a stage on a difficulty you haven't. So any S-rank on Mania I got would give me ~100k points
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #488 on: May 04, 2020, 02:58:26 PM »
Cleared this, would’ve beat the last stage on my first run but the robot leg zig zags with the fire trail kept fucking me up wherever I was. Beat on second try.

Pretty good game. A lot of weird design choices but overall quality fighting and some good bosses. I was using Axel and at first I wasn’t doing much damage on bosses between super armor, but then I noticed there still is stun lock to a degree so I started doing

ppp, ppp, pp->ff+p->f+special->Star attack combos and boss fights were much shorter and more manageable. I do the same combo without the star attack on normal guys. I like how you can recover HP lost from specials, making them less dangerous to use.

It’s a little strange how lives/score/stars don’t carry over and it’s stage based scoring.
I started an arcade run but even there none of my stars carried over to stage 2 (not sure about lives)

The game is way too fucking long for an arcade mode without saving. No continues, sure. But let me fucking save are you kidding me.

Some of the stages are too long, some are short, there’s a lot of boss re-use.

From first run, not exactly loving it, but pretty good. Definitely better than 3, not as good as 2 and idk where I stand with 1.

Will mess around with more runs and characters.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #489 on: May 04, 2020, 03:41:07 PM »
Also finished it a few days ago. Going to start working on a review, already created a nice intro for it.

I think overall it's pretty great, some weird choices here and there though. In the end I'll pick my boy Adam for best to use, most fun character so far. Haven't unlocked the SOR3 characters yet though, so I'll have to get those to see how the roll impacts fighting.

All in all I think it's a worthy successor, even if it doesn't do some of the things I personally want out of it (more mobility for Blaze/Axel (you even see Axel running in the intro), multiple paths, less stages but with more variety basically. The soundtrack is sometimes great, other times it's poop. The retro ost design choices are crazy, why is there no playlist function?

Otherwise the fighting itself is great, there is a lot of room for creativity actually, but there is an optimal way to fight each enemy type. Ofcourse if you're going for S ranks all day then it's a very deliberate game.
What

Bebpo

« Reply #490 on: May 04, 2020, 04:24:31 PM »
Like I literally have the game paused and minimized in arcade mode run and will leave it running for a dozen hours until next time I have time to play. No saving in a 2 hour game is fucking stupid. Would only work in stuff like Switch with a rest mode.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #491 on: May 04, 2020, 04:28:28 PM »
What does it matter if you play on Arcade or Story mode? There are no differences. Play Story mode instead if you are going to pout
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #492 on: May 04, 2020, 04:53:41 PM »
I thought arcade was a closer experience to the original? See how far you can get in one run. Wanted to test myself after beating it and see how far I can go.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #493 on: May 04, 2020, 05:05:02 PM »
Then ... why are you complaining? It is Arcade mode. You can't save in Arcade mode. I'm confused why you are stomping your feet.
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #494 on: May 04, 2020, 05:09:09 PM »
Yeah, but the original game wasn't 12 stages long with stages all long as this.
Also if you play the original SoR1/2/3 anytime in the last 2 decades you have save states.

Just seems boneheaded to make a super long game with no way to save/resume.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #495 on: May 04, 2020, 05:20:45 PM »
But there IS a way to save and resume - story mode
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #496 on: May 04, 2020, 06:43:04 PM »

Hardest achievements are "Clear Arcade on Hard" and "S-rank Hard" I only say that because the rest are pretty easy.
Those two achievements weren't hard for me after playing the game a shitload for the "All Clear" achievements, but overall those would be my picks by default.

I did a playthrough on Mania for the last million because you get points if you clear a stage on a difficulty you haven't. So any S-rank on Mania I got would give me ~100k points

Thanks - was scared you have to no miss Mania mode or something lol. Will be gunning for the 1k myself

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #497 on: May 04, 2020, 06:45:05 PM »
And yeah @Bebpo its kinda obvious they're going for "nostalgia" with Arcade mode. Like, on the Mega Drive you had to sit your ass down and beat the game in one go. Assuming thats what they're going for and its an intentional design choice.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #498 on: May 04, 2020, 09:07:09 PM »
Except on the megadrive you got continues and your live/scores added over (I believe lives do in arcade mode)

So this is just some weird construction between the two
What

Bebpo

« Reply #499 on: May 04, 2020, 09:36:33 PM »
Yeah, I'm gonna bail on arcade mode and finish FFVIIr. In addition to the above, I keep mentioning that this game is waaay longer than the old games. It's a crazy long beat em up. Probably could be 3/4ths as long and tighter tbh.

Will just resume in story mode next session.

I still like it a lot. Probably like the enemy/level design better than Fight N' Rage. Though SoR4 could use a few more enemy types.

Himu

« Reply #500 on: May 04, 2020, 11:16:16 PM »
Got this via game pass (thanks for the five bucks tip) and it's fantastic. This is a controversial opinion but I don't find SoR games to be particularly great beat em ups. I greatly prefer Ninja Warriors (Return is my favorite beat em up of all time), Final Fight, Dungeons and Dragons: Mystara, Double Dragon, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, and AvP. I'd also rather play Musou or The Warriors. I think it's the purest case of games that are regarded as masterpieces partly because the music is so good. 3 US is almost unplayable and 1 and 2 always felt plain Jane as far as beat em ups go for me. That's not to say I think they're bad, but I don't rate them highly and I'm always confused when people say 2 is the best beat em up of all time.

So when I say this is great, it's great. The level design, enemy encounters, player moveset, player options, boss fights, and overall feel are just far better than any SoR before it. It's the first SoR game I've played that I could say is a top tier beat em up.

Good shit.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #501 on: May 04, 2020, 11:19:20 PM »
Nm, beat arcade mode on normal with Blaze. Wasn't too bad, only took about 90 mins.

2nd run was fun. Knowing how to deal with all the enemies & bosses definitely made it less intense since you could abuse tactics on all of them. With arcade mode since your lives carry over the worst is when you lose a life on a dumb set of mobs which happened to me at like 2 spots. Crowd control can be the hardest if you get out of hand even with specials, no matter the enemy, 1 on 1 or 2 or 3 enemies is way easier to deal with.

Unlocked all the SoR1 characters, eh, nostalgia's fun, but limited moveset is whatever.

So playing the whole game through as Blaze, she just seemed like a worse Axel. Less damage, shorter range, and her FF+P move doesn't combo continue as well as Axel's fire upper. Best damage combo I could do as Blaze was PP, PPP, FF+P, special, star and it definitely did less damage than Axel. Also her attack range seemed a little shorter and her throw range maybe too idk. Basically didn't see any advantages to using her over Axel.

For next run, will try hard on story mode with Cherry and the other guy and Adam.

On Mr. Y, how do you dodge his tracking gun shot? One of the only moves I couldn't figure out how to ever dodge. I tried jumping up to invincible frames but still seemed to get hit.

Bebpo

« Reply #502 on: May 04, 2020, 11:21:25 PM »
Just looked up the rest of the unlockables.

I don't get why SoR4 Shiva & Max aren't unlockable? They already have sprites, shouldn't be that much work to have made them playable.
Not really interested in SoR1/2/3 characters, so will just give a full run with Cherry/Arm guy/Adam and call it a day.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #503 on: May 04, 2020, 11:26:07 PM »
dlc ofc
pcp

Himu

« Reply #504 on: May 04, 2020, 11:28:08 PM »
Nah.

Blaze FF+P shrinks her hurtbox, allows her to link between punch, punch and just clear all around clears crowds. I went through an entire level mostly just spamming her FF+P and barely taking damage.

Axel FFP has high recovery and far more limited use.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #505 on: May 04, 2020, 11:28:40 PM »
Oh and enemy-wise, the bane of my existence are:

-Super cop Barney - Lost an entire lifebar on one of these jerks with all their stupid grabs at a spot in stage 7 or 8 with other enemies.
-Sliding duck king guys - thought they were a joke until every once a while they throw my ass when I'm not expecting it and I get screwed
-Biker gals - pretty easy, but if you lose crowd control can hit you hard, so much damage
-Fist guys when they have weapons to throw - can be pretty fast and hit you hard. Once I see them with a weapon I'm jump kicking them just to not deal with getting something thrown in my face.

I actually don't mind the shield guys on 2nd run, now they're pretty easy to fight.

Bebpo

« Reply #506 on: May 04, 2020, 11:30:26 PM »
Nah.

Blaze FF+P shrinks her hurtbox, allows her to link between punch, punch and just clear all around clears crowds. I went through an entire level mostly just spamming her FF+P and barely taking damage.

Axel FFP has high recovery and far more limited use.

Pretty sure I've been hit out of Blaze's FF+P, especially at the end. Doesn't really seem any better than Axel's FF+P.

Bebpo

« Reply #507 on: May 04, 2020, 11:36:21 PM »
Just remembered a lol moment of death in arcade mode.

So those karate gi counter guys. I threw a muay thai guy at him and he was in counter position and as he got hit by the muay thai guy it activated his counter and he flew across the screen and hit me and killed me in the locker room  :'(

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #508 on: May 05, 2020, 12:14:39 AM »
old unlockable characters are actually pretty broken and cheezy.

I used SOR1-Axel for all my S-Ranks, using SOR3-Axel for a couple levels. His attacks are beefy and he has actually great range. His "star power" attack is glitched or something because literally deletes the final robot boss in 1 hit if you are lucky. Otherwise 2 Star Powers and it's dead.

I used SOR3-Skate for the "no-hit" achievement on a level since his (-> Y) move has insane i-frames and I can spam it (on easy mode anyway) and farm the boss and enemies.

Don't sleep on them just because they feel "limited" if anything they show how limited the SOR4 characters are
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #509 on: May 05, 2020, 12:18:30 AM »
Nah, SoR2/3 movesets are just as good. SoR1 is just kinda of limited since you just have punch combo, back punch, jump punch, throw and cop support special.

It's not bad, and I thoroughly enjoyed SoR1 when I played it last year as it still holds up and is designed around the small moveset.

But SoR4 which is designed around a larger moveset, would prefer SoR2 and beyond characters. I agree SoR1 Axel is beefy in his attacks and seemed pretty strong, but it just gets boring fast imo with him.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #510 on: May 05, 2020, 12:19:54 AM »
Then use SOR3-Axel. He's pretty much better than SOR4 Axel in every way - he even gets to dash and vertical dodge
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #511 on: May 05, 2020, 12:29:27 AM »
Gonna be another run probably to unlock him. My score ranks are bad and I don't even know why. I'm getting through levels quickly without losing a life and sometimes not even using all my star attacks and I still get a D or C. I think the best I've gotten is a B?

I should probably look up how the scoring works.

kingv

« Reply #512 on: May 05, 2020, 12:59:48 AM »
old unlockable characters are actually pretty broken and cheezy.

I used SOR1-Axel for all my S-Ranks, using SOR3-Axel for a couple levels. His attacks are beefy and he has actually great range. His "star power" attack is glitched or something because literally deletes the final robot boss in 1 hit if you are lucky. Otherwise 2 Star Powers and it's dead.

I used SOR3-Skate for the "no-hit" achievement on a level since his (-> Y) move has insane i-frames and I can spam it (on easy mode anyway) and farm the boss and enemies.

Don't sleep on them just because they feel "limited" if anything they show how limited the SOR4 characters are

Yeah I just tried SOR1 Blaze just to see  And it seems like she hits like a truck. Mostly I have played coop, so maybe they beef up the enemies more for that, but almost every enemy was just one combo and they were dead.

Bebpo

« Reply #513 on: May 05, 2020, 01:11:54 AM »
Nah, that's just how their HPs are. They increase SoR1 character damage output to make up for their lack of combos, but it's probably faster.

That reminds me, I've never played a brawler coop since Snes days in the 90s. Maybe I'll give online a try.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #514 on: May 05, 2020, 01:17:43 AM »
Be prepared to have people die quickly, eat all the food, and steal all the points (only for them to die)

Anyway good luck soloing everything with 1 life left

(I mean for me thats no problem but)
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #515 on: May 05, 2020, 08:05:49 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/there-will-be-an-european-retail-release-of-streets-of-rage-4-but-the-announcement-is-blocked-until-the-lrg-pre-orders-are-over.198192/

Well, there's goes me supporting LRG again after only my first purchase (only other one being Special Reserve Games, which seemed fine).  :doge  What the fuck.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 08:17:59 AM by Spieler1 »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #516 on: May 05, 2020, 08:09:04 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/there-will-be-an-european-retail-release-of-streets-of-rage-4-but-the-announcement-is-blocked-until-the-lrg-pre-orders-are-over.198192/

Well, there's goes me supporting LRG again.  :doge  What the fuck.

Quote from: reeee
"If you want a retail release without giving in the absurdly high prices of the Limited Run Games editions

Huh?  The regular version is $34.99.  Also didn't stop pre-orders from already having opened for the Japanese versions of the game.
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #517 on: May 05, 2020, 08:14:18 AM »
LRG probably doesn't have a Japanese audience worth scamming.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #518 on: May 05, 2020, 08:22:50 AM »
Whats the scam?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #519 on: May 05, 2020, 08:25:20 AM »
I call the biker girls pigs

because they remind me of fat piggies
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #520 on: May 05, 2020, 08:26:42 AM »
Be prepared to have people die quickly, eat all the food, and steal all the points (only for them to die)

Anyway good luck soloing everything with 1 life left

(I mean for me thats no problem but)

Haha the balls on this guy 🤭😍
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #521 on: May 05, 2020, 08:54:33 AM »
Whats the scam?

Telling everyone they are the only source for a physical copy, even though they know at least one part of their audience will have other options. And then refusing cancellations when that info comes out.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #522 on: May 05, 2020, 09:21:28 AM »
I don’t really see the scam. There’s nothing dishonest or a fraud here. They are the North American source and their cancelation policy is not hidden. They are very upfront with everything. I don’t know what you want here. If you want to import it, there’s nothing stopping you.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #523 on: May 05, 2020, 09:38:01 AM »
The scam is that most people thought they were the only one selling physical.

Now that turns out not to be the case, so people are stuck with their overpriced bullshit.

Yes its a scam.
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #524 on: May 05, 2020, 09:39:45 AM »
I call the biker girls pigs

because they remind me of fat piggies

ya ur dumb BBWs headbutting you with those lucious fat tits >
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #525 on: May 05, 2020, 10:41:13 AM »
Gonna be another run probably to unlock him. My score ranks are bad and I don't even know why. I'm getting through levels quickly without losing a life and sometimes not even using all my star attacks and I still get a D or C. I think the best I've gotten is a B?

I should probably look up how the scoring works.

The biggest factor is survivability. You want to eat food at full health for points. Can you survive fights without relying on food? It's ok to eat an apple or a turkey here and there but you should try to be able to do fights with minimal damage.
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #526 on: May 05, 2020, 11:21:46 AM »
Just read that in the barbon fight the piggies dont come unless you smash the bikes!
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #527 on: May 05, 2020, 11:51:08 AM »
But if you want that rank you better be smashing those bikes and the BBWs
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #528 on: May 05, 2020, 03:12:37 PM »
The scam is that most people thought they were the only one selling physical.

Now that turns out not to be the case, so people are stuck with their overpriced bullshit.

Yes its a scam.
There’s no scam. They are the only one selling physical copies in the US. They can’t stop the publisher from making other regional versions. This is not the first time there have been other region versions of games they released.

And overpriced? It’s $34.99? The Japanese version is $50. The Euro version I saw was 35.

Where’s the scam? If you pre-orders you’re going to get a physical copy. There’s no fraud. Just impatient people mad that they have to wait, LRG is upfront about you having to wait.

I can see them having some claus in thier contact that would keep another English Euro release from releasing until a certain time, but that's what Publishers will do. Reverse importing is still a thing. Often, Japanese anime publishers will make sure the American release is well after the more expensive Japanese release. Is that a scam too?

You want to get mad at LRG, but I mean who else was interested in publishing a physical copy in NA? It probably deserved one, but clearly Sega passed on it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 04:20:31 PM by Rahxephon91 »

paprikastaude

« Reply #529 on: May 05, 2020, 05:31:59 PM »
They lied and held back information to trick people into buying a thing from them. Clearly nothing could be further from a scam  ::)

Rahxephon91

« Reply #530 on: May 05, 2020, 05:35:46 PM »
There’s no lie or trick. They are the only one releasing the physical copy in NA. They are a company focused on the NA market. If you want to import a copy, that’s up to you. But you’re telling scam about the most simple aspect of regional releases. That they are regional.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #531 on: May 05, 2020, 05:48:58 PM »
https://limitedrungames.com/blogs/news/streets-of-rage-4-gets-a-limited-run-on-friday-march-20

There’s the article announcing it. Where’s the lie? Where’s the scam? Where they supposed to say “oh we’re releasing this product here, but yeah maybe in Europe(where we don’t do business, and have no control) someone else may release a version, so maybe wait. Also let’s reveal the whole contract ” No that’s stupid. I think you need to look up the word scam.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #532 on: May 05, 2020, 05:58:49 PM »
They lied and held back information to trick people into buying a thing from them. Clearly nothing could be further from a scam  ::)

Where did they lie and say they were the only ones selling the game worldwide?  Again, the Japanese version got announced last week and pre-order listings popped up from importers like Play-Asia.  How is this LRG's fault?  Would like to see something from Merge Games confirming that LRG forced them to hold back their own pre-order listing, otherwise this is a bunch of nonsense.
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #533 on: May 05, 2020, 06:02:01 PM »
They are a global selling company, their titles are all over the place here in private ads. And it would be quite the coincidence if the other publisher just held back the information for no reason until LRG's main promo phase is over  :comeon Whatever, gonna sell my then redundant LRG copy as soon as it arrives.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #534 on: May 05, 2020, 06:08:45 PM »
Just because you can get LRG stuff outside of NA, dosent mean the release deals they make aren’t only for NA. They only have the ESRB rating. Companies are free to make deals and releases in other regions. There have been Asian releases of games they worked with.

Bebpo

« Reply #535 on: May 05, 2020, 10:04:13 PM »
This is awesome but it seems quite a bit more difficult than the classics. Like I can make it to the end of SOR 2 after not having played it in 15 years on one continue, but this shit has me dying every stage at least once before I pass it with a C or D :lol

Definitely gets easier after the first run. The enemy & boss patterns (at least on normal compared to normal SoR2) are generally easier imo.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #536 on: May 05, 2020, 10:30:01 PM »
Just because you can get LRG stuff outside of NA, dosent mean the release deals they make aren’t only for NA. They only have the ESRB rating. Companies are free to make deals and releases in other regions. There have been Asian releases of games they worked with.

This- I guess there could have been an exclusivity pre-order campaign thing in place, but I don't recall LRG ever being secretive about stuff like this.  Switch games come out from different publishers and in different regions all the time- Strictly Limited Games had a limited release of The Ninja Warriors, but then pre-orders for an Asian version came up, followed by the U.S. release months later.  I don't see how this is any different.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #537 on: May 06, 2020, 12:36:31 AM »
Was doing a hard mode run and it wasn't too bad, pretty much everyone seemed about the same, maybe fire breathing guy did his runs more. Then I got to Shiva at the end of Chinatown and he was way faster and tougher. Died when he had like 1 combo from death :\  That stage is really long too. Been using SoR2 characters until I unlock SoR3 cast.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #538 on: May 06, 2020, 01:22:15 AM »
SOR4 adam is a fucking beast. his combos look badass and his special moves are also badass but super fuckin useful. not to mention dashing through people to take em to suplex city :aah

Bebpo

« Reply #539 on: May 06, 2020, 01:50:27 AM »
Yeah, Adam is cool. I like everyone outside big arm dude. Like I got to a section with a bunch of grunts running back and forth across the screen with knives and you're supposed to jump kick to take them out but big guy's jump is tthe tiniest little hop and I'd get hit all the time. Blah, dude is too frustrating to play as well. At least SoR2's Max has the slide and shoulder run special, this guy just has no movement options.