Author Topic: ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS - Thread of Gaming Zen  (Read 205125 times)

Himu

can nintenties online service be DDoS'd or has it been? could it technically fuck up AC launch if some dumb account handshake needs to happen? asking for a friend.  :lol

Given that a big part of AC is playing with friends, yes.
IYKYK

We don't own a Switch but I bought my daughter New Leaf for her 3DS. Kid is obsessed.
野球

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
Account handshake? I doubt it. I'm grabbing a physical copy and don't even have an online subscription so I'll be playing it in offline mode anyways.

thetylerrob

You can definitely play it offline/pirate it, but I think this one has online updates for holidays and stuff so you'll miss out on stuff.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 05:57:55 PM by thetylerrob »

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
Ohhhh. I'm so naive lol

Innocent babby  :uguu

Akala

• Easy Victor
Hopefully no huge worries. Imagine it'll be down a bit anyway due popularity anyway.  :lol

Potato

• Senior's Member
Amazon apparently delivered my copy today. On my way home from work now.
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

Yup, they just delivered mine...at like 7:50 AM.  Never had a non same day package get delivered that quickly.  About to check it out.
ど助平

Potato

• Senior's Member

Yup, they just delivered mine...at like 7:50 AM.  Never had a non same day package get delivered that quickly.  About to check it out.
I'm going to wait until the weekend so I can set the island up with my kids. I want to get them into it and I figure if they are involved from the start they will be more invested.
Spud

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
My Amazon account is now saying "By Tuesday" for AC. :fbm

If it doesn't ship out today, I'll probably cancel on Amazon and just buy digital off the eshop.
dog

Himu

I ordered from gamestop online. If it doesn't ship today I'm ordering digital. My main concern is that you can't transfer files anymore between games on Switch which means if I get digital version I can't save transfer to physical like on 3ds.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Digi version preloaded, Nintendo, do the right thing 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Amazon won't let me cancel my order because it's "about to ship." :beli
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

You can always just return it to them for free- just mark as "defective" and they won't charge anything.  Then you can dump it in a UPS mailbox.
:expert
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
I ordered from gamestop online. If it doesn't ship today I'm ordering digital. My main concern is that you can't transfer files anymore between games on Switch which means if I get digital version I can't save transfer to physical like on 3ds.

Everyone is the in same boat with the save files no matter how you purchase it.  IIRC Nintendo said they are working on a solution for save transfers for this game.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

You can always just return it to them for free- just mark as "defective" and they won't charge anything.  Then you can dump it in a UPS mailbox.

Yeah, I know, it's just a little bit of a hassle to do that. I might just wait until Tuesday to play it, and stick with AC Odyssey and Doom this weekend.
dog

Coffee Dog

I've reinstalled the gamecube original, nothing can stop my contarianism

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
My impressions:

Wow, not busy for once after an insane work week!  Created a character, selected an island--

CUE HOURS OF NONSTOP SHIT AT WORK

:dizzy
ど助平

Himu

Please post your Switch Codes so that I can organize them and we can friend each other. During ACNL, for about three to six months the Bore gang played ACNL together pretty much *daily*.

Tips for AC beginners:

- a key way to paying off bills is fruit

- each person gets their own unique village fruit. It could be bananas, cherries, durans, or others. Shake a tree and some fruit will drop. Plant them right and fruit trees will sprout. When it grows you will have fruit to sell. This is called native fruit. Native fruit sells well but not as much as...

- foreign fruit. You obtain foreign fruit by spending time with friends. You go to your friends village or they to yours and get some fruit. Then you plant it, let it grow, and sell it. You'll get tons of money doing this.

- Turnips. Joan the Boar sells Turnips every Sunday. I'm not sure if she's in ACNH as there's a new piggy that sells them now, but you basically buy turnips in bulk to sell. It's a risk. Then in the morning you check your towns stalk market. You can sometimes predict trends but it's mostly random. You have 7 days to sell all of your turnips before they become rotten. You can get a million bells easy by buying a shit ton of turnips and loading them at the store. Each person has their own personalized pricing for stalks, so we often check with friends and update each other on the prices turnips are going for. Maybe your turnips are selling for 50 but I'm selling them for 1000 a turnip. If you bought lots of turnips as an investment, say 300 turnips, you can earn a sizable amount of Bells with ease. But there's risk. For one, you can't miss out and you have to stay completely on top of the stalk market. If you invest 200k into Turnips and they go rotten you've wasted your money and you can't get it back.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 04:54:37 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

My impressions:

Wow, not busy for once after an insane work week!  Created a character, selected an island--

CUE HOURS OF NONSTOP SHIT AT WORK

:dizzy

Don't forget that I (and others of course) *may* be a direct reason that you can now pick skin color in Animal Crossing :rejoice :klob

IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
My copy finally shipped out, should be in tomorrow evening.
dog

Potato

• Senior's Member
Please post your Switch Codes so that I can organize them and we can friend each other. During ACNL, for about three to six months the Bore gang played ACNL together pretty much *daily*.
This is me. Is that all you need or is there game specific codes too?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
SW-2549-2352-3415
Username: choodi
[close]
Spud

Himu

This is me. Is that all you need or is there game specific codes too?

SW-2549-2352-3415
Username: choodi
[close]

We don't know yet. If someone has the game, go to the gate and check the requirements needed to visit other towns or vice versa.
IYKYK

Himu

Preparing shipment. :)
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
I will stubbornly only fish for income, as in all iterations, thanks

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
What’s the co-op like? Up to 4, same screen right? But like can everyone do everything or what? Asking for my quarantined family

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
What’s the co-op like? Up to 4, same screen right? But like can everyone do everything or what? Asking for my quarantined family

One person is leader, camera follows them, only they can shop sounds like, followers things they find go to the recycle bin for them to claim later (???), you can switch who is leader on the fly tho

Himu

Ah it makes sense you use an airport now.

My game shipped.
IYKYK

Himu

4 players locally, 8 players online.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

Tips for AC beginners:

- a key way to paying off bills is fruit

- each person gets their own unique village fruit. It could be bananas, cherries, durans, or others. Shake a tree and some fruit will drop. Plant them right and fruit trees will sprout. When it grows you will have fruit to sell. This is called native fruit. Native fruit sells well but not as much as...

- foreign fruit. You obtain foreign fruit by spending time with friends. You go to your friends village or they to yours and get some fruit. Then you plant it, let it grow, and sell it. You'll get tons of money doing this.

- Turnips. Joan the Boar sells Turnips every Sunday. I'm not sure if she's in ACNH as there's a new piggy that sells them now, but you basically buy turnips in bulk to sell. It's a risk. Then in the morning you check your towns stalk market. You can sometimes predict trends but it's mostly random. You have 7 days to sell all of your turnips before they become rotten. You can get a million bells easy by buying a shit ton of turnips and loading them at the store. Each person has their own personalized pricing for stalks, so we often check with friends and update each other on the prices turnips are going for. Maybe your turnips are selling for 50 but I'm selling them for 1000 a turnip. If you bought lots of turnips as an investment, say 300 turnips, you can earn a sizable amount of Bells with ease. But there's risk. For one, you can't miss out and you have to stay completely on top of the stalk market. If you invest 200k into Turnips and they go rotten you've wasted your money and you can't get it back.

When the game starts, it's just you, three Nooks, and two other animals on the island.  Nothing else is there- I'm sleeping in a tent, lol.  It's obviously gonna expand out and more people have to move in, so maybe the turnip character will pop up?

Tom Nook first says you need however many bells, then when he realizes you don't have any and there's nothing there, he changes it to "miles" earned to pay off the debt.  You have a little cell phone that you can use to look up how many miles you have for doing various things.
ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
LET ME INNNN

thetylerrob

I want to feel joy again, plz nintendo

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Friend code: SW-4202-9640-1246
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Nevermind, Bells are still a thing- I just got some out of a tree!
ど助平

Himu

As said, the turnips character only comes on Sunday mornings before 12pm and if you use time to skip with turnips they will automatically go rotten.

And I'm surprised there's no gate at the outset because how else do you get there? You have to unlock the airport?
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
As said, the turnips character only comes on Sunday mornings before 12pm and if you use time to skip with turnips they will automatically go rotten.

And I'm surprised there's no gate at the outset because how else do you get there? You have to unlock the airport?

Can you time skip in this game?  I don't see that option and it has now switched to real-world time.  If you have to certain things during the day, that might be hard for me to do sometimes because I play more at night.  :lol

When the game starts, you're at the airport and after selecting your character/island, off you go.  There's a dock you come from so I assume that get used for travel.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Yup, that's it.  Dodo Airlines is at the dock- I like that you're roughing it in tents and there's a fully-constructed terminal area right nearby, lol.
ど助平

Himu

You can time skip in every animal crossing.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
You can time skip in every animal crossing.

Just checked- it's gone.  You can "cheat" and do it by changing the Switch system clock.

ど助平

Himu

Changing the system time *is* the time skip.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Changing the system time *is* the time skip.

I thought you meant in-game.
 :bolo
ど助平

Himu

Nah, whatever method works.
IYKYK

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
Mine arrived thankfully :hyper

SW-0929-3974-6477
itm

Potato

• Senior's Member
Friend code: SW-4202-9640-1246
Sent you a friend request.

Mine arrived thankfully :hyper

SW-0929-3974-6477

You too
Spud

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
itm

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
SW-7627-4931-6106

See ya in 3 hours, I guesss

Also I have a bunch of friend requests from playing Overwatch so if I don’t add you plz tell me what your name is on there

Tasty

Tasty

I know almost everything there is to know about this game, AMA.

Here's some tips for the beginning game I think will help everyone:

- You can terraform almost everything eventually, but not where the rivers meet the ocean, so keep those in mind when selecting a starting island. Same for the position of the dock and the secret beach.

- You start the game in "tutorial mode," which will always be during the day. You pick where you and the other two villagers live, and then go to "sleep," "wake up," and the game will then be in real-time (at which point you will receive your NookPhone.)

- You can not go online for the entire first day you play the game. (I believe, regardless of whether the online is active or not.)

- Along with your island's natural fruit, the color of Dodo Airlines is unique and locked-in once you begin your game.

- Until you get the Resident Services building upgrade (~one week), you won't have any hourly music.

Here's some negative "spoilers" for long-term fans:

- No Joan, Chip, or Nat -- they're fully replaced by their younger versions.
- No Kapp'n or his family
- No Rover
- No Crazy Redd, sculptures or paintings
- No wetsuits, swimming, diving, or Deep-Sea Creatures
- No Reese, Cyrus, or ReTail
- No Resetti (well, his model) or Don
- No Brewster or The Roost
- No Pete, Pelly, or Pyllis
- No Gyroids except for Lloyd on in-development projects
- 10 villager limit
[close]

This game will probably have a Splatoon 2-like update schedule though, so who knows. 🤷🏻‍♂️

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
I'm basically going in blind even though I watched that one review I posted here.

I don't really get this game. Is it sort of like The Sims? But I hate building houses. Soooo... should I actually get this game?

I'm getting it anyway cause my friends are getting it.
[close]

Tasty

You can increasingly play these games like The Sims but it's secondary to the gooey, feel-good, emotional core.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
You can increasingly play these games like The Sims but it's secondary to the gooey, feel-good, emotional core.

Good good. Cause Idon't like being a interior/exterior designer. I don't like building Lego, Minecrafting in the digital world and so on. Just not a builder at heart. But no issue with something like a Sim Theme Park where I go "this cool thing, plop it here". But I don't actually care to design structures.

Like I don't want to design a castle. I just want a premade castle that I say "it shall go in this spot and done"

Himu

Yeah I'm going in blind and don't know what they've changed.
IYKYK

Himu

I'm basically going in blind even though I watched that one review I posted here.

I don't really get this game. Is it sort of like The Sims? But I hate building houses. Soooo... should I actually get this game?

[close]

It's a chill ass game. Not very similar to Sims.
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member

[close]
It's nothing like The Sims, but just like The Sims, if you get what I mean.

Buy it. There really is nothing like it out there.

It's basically "chill" the game.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member

Good good. Cause Idon't like being a interior/exterior designer. I don't like building Lego, Minecrafting in the digital world and so on. Just not a builder at heart. But no issue with something like a Sim Theme Park where I go "this cool thing, plop it here". But I don't actually care to design structures.

Like I don't want to design a castle. I just want a premade castle that I say "it shall go in this spot and done"

You can play it both ways. Be an interior designer moving stuff around or just have a functional house and hunt bugs and go fishing. I like to hunt bugs and go fishing and couldn't give a shit about moving furniture around.
Spud

Tasty

Yup the original game barely had any customization.

I can see why they're adding it, the progression from New Leaf to Happy Home Designer to Pocket Camp to this seems pretty clear.

But I intend to play the series like I always have, and customize little.

With that said, a big innovation ACNH is letting furniture be placed outside, which is wonderful. Animal Crossing has always had a bunch of items I would never want in my house, but could see myself placing on a lawn outside. New Horizons lets you do that, and dovetails with New Leaf's public works projects nicely. Now it's trivial to place a ton street lamps exactly where you'd like.

That sort of light customization, I could see myself dabbling in. But overall I expect to fall into similar gameplay loops as before, and prioritize finishing my house, building bridges and ramps, and filling the museum.

Himu

Brehs and brehettes. We almost here.

IYKYK

Himu

You can play it both ways. Be an interior designer moving stuff around or just have a functional house and hunt bugs and go fishing. I like to hunt bugs and go fishing and couldn't give a shit about moving furniture around.

Yeah it really depends on your goals.

Personally I focus on making clothes, customizing my town, collecting things than customizing my house. Others like to focus on their villagers. But some love to full on interior designers (which is why Happy Camp didn't click with me). The fact you can terraform in this is a massive game changer for me, someone that likes to truly make my town "mine".
IYKYK

Tasty

To say I'm excited for this game is an understatement. Not sure I've ever lost my mind over a game's launch quite like this one. Thing is I've never even picked up any Animal Crossing game at launch until now. :lol I've always been able to wait a few days.

Not this time, have the game preloaded and will be mashing Start at midnight. :lol

Himu

To say I'm excited for this game is an understatement. Not sure I've ever lost my mind over a game's launch quite like this one. Thing is I've never even picked up any Animal Crossing game at launch until now. :lol I've always been able to wait a few days.

Not this time, have the game preloaded and will be mashing Start at midnight. :lol

I'm excited but know nothing about the game besides the fact you can terraform and it's on an island. Really want it to be a surprise.
IYKYK