Author Topic: Retro Thread for old gamers  (Read 89786 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Retro Thread for old gamers
« Reply #480 on: January 23, 2020, 08:54:30 AM »
As long as you're not posting, like, direct links nobody's gonna care too much.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #481 on: January 23, 2020, 09:44:01 AM »
Idk.  Coming from GAF and ERA, didn't know the policy here lol.

You've been a member here since 2007 though  :lol
ど助平

« Reply #482 on: January 23, 2020, 09:53:28 AM »
Don't know if this allowed here, but are there any decent ROMs sites around. I'm thinking of coping some Everdrives and going that route with original modded hardware. And no I'm not paying ridiculous prices for NES, SNES, Genesis carts. 

I do try to get stuff legit via classic collections so I'm not a complete garbage person. Nor do I pirate stuff I can't buy at reasonable prices.  I also buy all those mini consoles. But I'm itching for original hardware. The nostalgia boner is too strong.

You can guys can PM if it's not allowed.
Just search for the /r/roms subreddit and follow the megathread thread link at the top.

I've kinda gone off buying retro games myself, well mainly NES games. It's just a pain in the ass to buy them for the jacked up prices and half the time they don't work until you clean them. Even then on shit like my NES it's touch and go. On the other hand it is kinda satisfying buying a game at what already felt like jacked up prices and then coming back later to see the prices have risen even higher.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 10:00:43 AM by Kunai With Chain »

Rman

« Reply #483 on: January 23, 2020, 10:04:13 AM »
Idk.  Coming from GAF and ERA, didn't know the policy here lol.

You've been a member here since 2007 though  :lol

I know. But I didn't know if you guys had a policy lol.

I've just gotten into retro stuff recently as well.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #484 on: January 23, 2020, 10:10:17 AM »
Should also be plenty of torrents out there, too.  Easy enough to get the 8 and 16 bit console sets- arcade is where it can be a pain in the ass.
ど助平

Rman

« Reply #485 on: January 23, 2020, 10:34:38 AM »
I wanna explore Sega CD, especially with Terra Onion's Mega SD cart.

But a lot of the big hitters are crazy expensive--Snatcher, Popful Mail.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #486 on: January 23, 2020, 11:06:33 AM »
Yeah I think it's because there isn't that much stock out there due to the system not being that popular, and also the cases were shit which led to a lot of scratched discs.  I was gonna get one, but the prices are way too high right now.  I just use a modded SNES classic to play the games.  I have a soft spot for the 90s FMV cheese.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #487 on: January 23, 2020, 11:17:59 AM »
Should I do the Edgeworth spinoffs

I didn't care for the english one, never played the sequel (I think it has a fan translation).

They're even translating the 3DS one that takes place in old japan.

But avoid Layton vs Wright it's really not that good
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #488 on: January 23, 2020, 11:20:14 AM »
Don't know if this allowed here, but are there any decent ROMs sites around. I'm thinking of coping some Everdrives and going that route with original modded hardware. And no I'm not paying ridiculous prices for NES, SNES, Genesis carts. 

I do try to get stuff legit via classic collections so I'm not a complete garbage person. Nor do I pirate stuff I can't buy at reasonable prices.  I also buy all those mini consoles. But I'm itching for original hardware. The nostalgia boner is too strong.

Emuparadise is still up and running strong. :lol at anyone who would think someone is a garbage person for downloading roms for 25-35 year old 8-16 bit kideos.

you're not a garbage person. just a very lazy one. we know roms are not hard to find. put some effort in.

"if you can't find it, you don't deserve it" - god
fat

Svejk

« Reply #489 on: January 23, 2020, 11:26:58 AM »

The ultimate euphoria is playing those on a Sega CDX.
 :ohyeah

Rman

« Reply #490 on: January 23, 2020, 12:17:45 PM »

Emuparadise is still up and running strong. :lol at anyone who would think someone is a garbage person for downloading roms for 25-35 year old 8-16 bit kideos.

you're not a garbage person. just a very lazy one. we know roms are not hard to find. put some effort in.

"if you can't find it, you don't deserve it" - god
I used to dabble with ROMs a long time ago.  I just hated the sketchy sites full of malware. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #491 on: January 23, 2020, 12:19:34 PM »

The ultimate euphoria is playing those on a Sega CDX.
 :ohyeah

It was better playing them on a modded Xbox, with some nice filters, no load times, and in 480P back in the day.
 :woken
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #492 on: January 23, 2020, 12:47:09 PM »
I used to dabble with ROMs a long time ago.  I just hated the sketchy sites full of malware.

those still exist but it's still much easier to find games with resources like reddit etc these days
fat

Svejk

« Reply #493 on: January 23, 2020, 01:24:50 PM »
ROMS pre 32 bit era are cake to deal with.  Getting PS1/Saturn games to run properly is the big pita, imo.  All the technical stuff to spruce up the graphics goes way over my head; OpenGL and all that jargen.  :whatisthis

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #494 on: January 23, 2020, 02:49:10 PM »
Archive.org has full sets, too. Torrents and direct downloads. You might have to make an account for some of them, but it's worth it.
Tons of old PC games, too. Recently found American McGee's Scrapland there after less reputable sites let me down.

Svejk

« Reply #495 on: January 23, 2020, 11:54:17 PM »
ROMS pre 32 bit era are cake to deal with.  Getting PS1/Saturn games to run properly is the big pita, imo.  All the technical stuff to spruce up the graphics goes way over my head; OpenGL and all that jargen.  :whatisthis

I've never had trouble with PS2 or PS1 but I never fuck around with the graphics settings and just play the default settings. I did have trouble with a Dreamcast emulator though.
Funny you mention that, because I've had the opposite experience. Reicast ran Grandia 2 and Skies of Arcadia perfectly uprezzed and widescreen in default with no finagling.  PS1 (FPse & ePSXe) and Saturn (Yaba Sanshiro) always has certain things missing, like certain effects or text or the sounds are off.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #496 on: January 25, 2020, 08:55:37 PM »
Been having fond memories of playing Gunsmoke on the NES lately. Is there a simple and legitimate way to play it in 2020?
Spud

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #497 on: January 25, 2020, 09:00:56 PM »
Simple? Plenty of ways

Legit? Definitely not
fat

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #498 on: January 25, 2020, 11:03:19 PM »
Simple? Plenty of ways

Legit? Definitely not
Bugger.

Best emulator for PC?
Spud

BisMarckie

« Reply #499 on: January 26, 2020, 05:14:54 AM »
Mesen is probably the best one, but honestly, if you just want to play some NES game for a nostalgia kick pretty much any emulator will do a fine job.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #500 on: January 26, 2020, 05:23:24 AM »
Mesen is a core in RetroArch too.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #501 on: January 26, 2020, 06:50:34 AM »

this is awesome
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #502 on: January 26, 2020, 06:51:39 AM »
Been having fond memories of playing Gunsmoke on the NES lately. Is there a simple and legitimate way to play it in 2020?

I think u can buy gunsmoke on ebay right?
What

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #503 on: January 26, 2020, 09:12:04 AM »
Some joker is trying to sell the pal version on eBay for $75.
Spud

Rman

« Reply #504 on: January 26, 2020, 12:41:39 PM »
Any MISTer users here? Looks very promising.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #505 on: January 26, 2020, 08:14:26 PM »
MISTer is still a bit more intense than the current Pi scene, I may give it a few months

Shuri

« Reply #506 on: January 26, 2020, 10:02:00 PM »
Most MISTer users are so fucking annoying about it on twitter tho. I'm about to mute any mentions of it. Get the fuck over it, god damn.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #507 on: January 26, 2020, 11:17:53 PM »
Most MISTer users are so fucking annoying about it on twitter tho. I'm about to mute any mentions of it. Get the fuck over it, god damn.

:confused
ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #508 on: January 27, 2020, 08:22:50 AM »
PCSX2 actually can.

An emulator not written to be able to set the IO processor to backwards compability mode won't work, the processor is clocked to a different speed and the GTE is turned off when it's in PS2 mode. The Slims (and some later first models) don't even have actual PS1 processors it's a different chip that replicates it that's why some games don't work or glitch out especially with memory cards. Most people won't even bother since you have to figure out how to emulate the GTE. (Something not even Sony has fully done.)

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #509 on: January 27, 2020, 08:23:49 AM »

If you still have a PS3 or 360, you can download it.

this is awesome

I like that game a lot.  It was one of the last things filmed in the original Shaw Brothers "Shaw Town" lot.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Rman

« Reply #511 on: February 02, 2020, 04:52:08 PM »
Anyone see this, old gamers? I know Shuri is a big arcade guy.

Shuri

« Reply #512 on: February 02, 2020, 10:07:34 PM »
Oooh cooll! I’ll watch it tomorrow!

I’m now almost done with Final Fantasy 4, i’m playing the PSX port. It’s still very enjoyable in 2020. This game has been quite an emotional flashback trip to me.  For some reasons I really connected with the game on the SNES back in the days. I was having a rather shitty time on a personal level back then, and this game was an outlet. I had played  so much that I maxed all my characters to level 99  :lol

It was pretty wild to get flashbacks about certain real life people and events while replaying this. I even reconnected with an old friend on fb because of this. Back in the days, we ended up both getting the game on the same xmas so for months this was our big subject of conversation at school. It was nice to catch up because of this replay of the game. Turns out he lives on another continent now! Crazy!

The new translation is great, the music sounds better than in the snes version (?),  and overall it’s a great port. I can’t find any faults with it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #513 on: February 03, 2020, 08:14:08 AM »
I hope MK 12 brings back the fun and playful side of MK

Have you seen Joker in 11?

:society :joker :society
But yeah, I think Mortal Kombat needs another reboot.  I liked how MK9 went back to basics and even though there have only been two games since that point, they need to go back to that.  Not big on the all customization stuff that's in MK11 and Injustice 2 with "loot box" shit tied to needing in-game currency to unlock stuff and random part unlocks.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 08:30:13 AM by bork »
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #514 on: February 03, 2020, 08:21:38 AM »
Joker is such a garbage guest character
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #515 on: February 03, 2020, 08:29:26 AM »
Joker is such a garbage guest character

Looks pretty cool to me.  But that's for the MK thread.
ど助平

Shuri

« Reply #516 on: February 03, 2020, 07:12:25 PM »
The fatalities were way over the top in MK11. It’s MK:DA levels of bad and awful. I miss straightforward fatalities like in MK1/2. I  know they have brutalities  but it’s not the same. Everything is so complicated and extreme, I just don’t enjoy it anymore.

bluemax

« Reply #517 on: February 03, 2020, 10:30:39 PM »
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #518 on: February 04, 2020, 04:56:55 AM »

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #519 on: February 04, 2020, 06:19:17 PM »
that arcade blogger site is cool.I didn't know they had this in the museum in vegas.  :o

http://arcadeblogger.com/2018/07/06/arcade-holy-grail-the-pinball-circus/

Tuckers Law

« Reply #520 on: February 04, 2020, 08:17:22 PM »
Thanks for posting that Bluemax, that’s a neat site.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #521 on: February 04, 2020, 08:20:49 PM »
that arcade blogger site is cool.I didn't know they had this in the museum in vegas.  :o

Vegas Pinball Museum is fucking nuts-butts. I could have spent like...multiple days there.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #522 on: February 04, 2020, 08:35:13 PM »

Vegas Pinball Museum is fucking nuts-butts. I could have spent like...multiple days there.
For me it would multiple days, all on either T2 or Star Trek TNG.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #523 on: February 04, 2020, 10:37:00 PM »
oh I have been multiple times, it's great. that said, I thought it was moving near mandalay bay, but quick google and seems it hasn't? the only real knock on it is that it's off strip...then again it could go way downhill if it does move and there are 5x the people/kids there. would give them way more money to work with though.

bluemax

« Reply #524 on: February 05, 2020, 12:23:46 AM »
Glad you guys like that site, I can't take much credit for finding it. I check a news aggregator called Hacker News at work when I'm bored and it was posted to there, so I saved it for when I got home. Definitely a cool read though.
NO

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #525 on: February 05, 2020, 08:16:35 AM »
oh I have been multiple times, it's great. that said, I thought it was moving near mandalay bay, but quick google and seems it hasn't? the only real knock on it is that it's off strip...then again it could go way downhill if it does move and there are 5x the people/kids there. would give them way more money to work with though.

The PHOF still owns the land near MB, but has been stalled on getting permits to build.  It was originally going to be designed like a giant pinball machine, but they had to scale that back.  The current location isn't too bad, though I guess a lot of tourists might be put off by it.  I took the bus to/from there a few times and never had any issues.  The last couple of times I went, it was probably $20 round trip on Uber from the Tropicana.  The Crown and Anchor bar a couple of blocks from there is pretty good food if you like English pub stuff.

New York New York has a decent selection of pinball tables.  I spent New Year's Eve there a couple of years ago because I am a huge nerd (and didn't want to pay $30 for drinks).

Shuri

« Reply #526 on: February 09, 2020, 03:46:23 PM »
an old link I had bookmarked forever. This is one of the coolest private arcade setup ever. It was dismanted a long time ago when the owner got in a messy divorce, everything got sold, but still, damn.

http://www.peterhirschberg.com/#/LunaCityArcadeMirror

It legit feels like a late eighties arcade.

Coax

« Reply #527 on: February 09, 2020, 08:34:09 PM »
Not often of late I come across more idiosyncratic site designs. Bit refreshing.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #528 on: February 09, 2020, 09:11:22 PM »
an old link I had bookmarked forever. This is one of the coolest private arcade setup ever. It was dismanted a long time ago when the owner got in a messy divorce, everything got sold, but still, damn.

I've been to one private arcade in Southampton that takes after that a whole lot, the dude did pest control for the stars (including Paul McCartney), was loaded, and had converted the top floor of his office into a vintage arcade. Even had some super rare crash-era games like Super Bagman, all of the Atari Vector games, a Silent Scope setup, a life size Predator statue... fucking amazing place.
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #529 on: February 09, 2020, 09:27:33 PM »

If any of you bros ever find yourself in Dallas, go to the National Videogame Museum:

http://www.nvmusa.org/
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #530 on: February 10, 2020, 09:59:55 AM »
So who am I going to see at Portland Retro this year?
fat

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #531 on: February 10, 2020, 01:36:08 PM »
FYI PSN has a Retro and Remasters sale going on, some pretty decent deals

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/grid/STORE-MSF77008-REMASTERSRETRO/1

Shuri

« Reply #532 on: February 10, 2020, 10:41:15 PM »
Finished ff4 today.  The ending was a bit cheesier than I remembered, and I like how they didn’t even bother to explain how the twins are back.  Their sacrifice was a major moment and at the end they’re back and it’s as if nothing happened. Zeromus was one violent bastard, but on my 3rd try I somehow accidentally managed  to glitch his script. He killed kain and rydia and then he pretty much got stuck in a loop where he would cast black hole or whatever, and a shitty version of meteo.

Edge and Cecil slowly killed him while Rosa cure4’ed the crew non stop. It was rather underwhelming

I was thinking of starting ff5 next, but that psx remake of ff1 and ff2 are pretty tempting. I also never really tried Chrono Trigger so this could be a good time  to finally really give it a try.  Is ff tactics worth it?

Btw I was playing the psx port of ff4, the weird 3d remakes looked so terrible

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #533 on: February 10, 2020, 11:29:51 PM »
Finished ff4 today.  The ending was a bit cheesier than I remembered, and I like how they didn’t even bother to explain how the twins are back.  Their sacrifice was a major moment and at the end they’re back and it’s as if nothing happened. Zeromus was one violent bastard, but on my 3rd try I somehow accidentally managed  to glitch his script. He killed kain and rydia and then he pretty much got stuck in a loop where he would cast black hole or whatever, and a shitty version of meteo.

Edge and Cecil slowly killed him while Rosa cure4’ed the crew non stop. It was rather underwhelming

I was thinking of starting ff5 next, but that psx remake of ff1 and ff2 are pretty tempting. I also never really tried Chrono Trigger so this could be a good time  to finally really give it a try.  Is ff tactics worth it?

Origins is in my opinion the best of the FF1/2 remakes, since the GBA and PSP ports neuter the difficulty (but maybe in the case of FF2 it's for the best). FF1 I have a shit-ton of nostalgia for, as that's how my friends and I spent our summer 1990... but 2 does not hold up due to the proto-SaGa systems in place, so you're better off reading a plot summary. If you're more into RPGs for gameplay than story, then FF5 is a must (GBA port being the ideal way to play). Tactics is definitely worth playing too if you like strategy RPGs.
^_^

Sho Nuff

« Reply #534 on: February 12, 2020, 09:37:49 PM »
So who am I going to see at Portland Retro this year?

Mmmmmaybe? Might fly in from Japan for this, it really is the funnest show of the year

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #535 on: February 13, 2020, 04:39:18 PM »
The SNK40th collection is really well done IMO, even if most of the games don't really hold up. I like the presentation/info more than playing a lot of these oldies, but options to change language, arcade vs console, etc. Worth the 15 bux I got it for.

I think they somehow left off the museum page for Ikari Warriors II arcade tho.  :doge

Sho Nuff

« Reply #536 on: February 13, 2020, 08:22:44 PM »
The SNK40th collection is really well done IMO, even if most of the games don't really hold up. I like the presentation/info more than playing a lot of these oldies, but options to change language, arcade vs console, etc. Worth the 15 bux I got it for.

I think they somehow left off the museum page for Ikari Warriors II arcade tho.  :doge

Yeah, I liked this a lot. I think all the recorded playthroughs you can jump into are Frank Cifaldi brute-forcing his way through at the frame level  :lol

bluemax

« Reply #537 on: February 13, 2020, 10:41:06 PM »

Origins is in my opinion the best of the FF1/2 remakes, since the GBA and PSP ports neuter the difficulty (but maybe in the case of FF2 it's for the best). FF1 I have a shit-ton of nostalgia for, as that's how my friends and I spent our summer 1990... but 2 does not hold up due to the proto-SaGa systems in place, so you're better off reading a plot summary. If you're more into RPGs for gameplay than story, then FF5 is a must (GBA port being the ideal way to play). Tactics is definitely worth playing too if you like strategy RPGs.

Yeah the PS1 versions of FF1/FF2 are probably the best (PSP I think is best for FF4).

Personally I think FF2 is something people should at least try to play, just because of how far ahead of its time it was. Yeah its a Kawazu game so everything is unbalanced and a little clunky, but the jump in complexity of story telling and systems design from FF1 to FF2 is so much bigger than most other games of the time.

You have a story on the NES with off the top of my head, something to the effect of 10+ NAMED characters with individual personalities, many of whom come and go from your party like in FF4. And I mean, there's a narrative! People say more than one line of dialogue! A conversation system that is an extension of the VERB system used in a lot of older PC and NES adventure games, but applied to a JRPG. A progression system that breaks that breaks the conventions most JRPGs stuck to for another decade, and that would fit in more with many popular western RPGs. I also think little things like just seeing Cid's airship fly around randomly before you have your own airship added a lot of life to the world.

Most people just get hung up on punching themselves in the face to gain more HP though.
NO

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #538 on: February 14, 2020, 10:19:32 AM »
Palmer Luckey is bidding on the Nintendo Playstation (currently at around ~$360k)

https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status/1228115750381948928
fat

Sho Nuff

« Reply #539 on: February 15, 2020, 09:47:05 AM »
Palmer Luckey is bidding on the Nintendo Playstation (currently at around ~$360k)

https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status/1228115750381948928

I'm going to say it right now, this thing kind of sucks. It didn't really offer anything beyond serving as a big cartridge. If it added a ton of extra ram or new chips a la Sega CD it would have been dope, but the design philosophy of it seemed to be "let's just put the media on a CD and leave it at that"

Also in the dudes who are selling this are complete yahoos, they would just plug it into the mains at shows and let idiots like me touch it and pick it up and plug my headphones into it when IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!!!!!