Author Topic: Retro Thread for old gamers  (Read 90381 times)

Shuri

Re: Retro Thread for old gamers
« Reply #540 on: February 15, 2020, 12:26:46 PM »
Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are so incredibly hard, for fucks sake, I've been trying to beat them all week and it's been a constant massacre. Even back in the days they were considered hard, but I wasn't expecting such a challenge. I could finish Super Star Wars on a single life but those games?  :doge :doge

Rman

« Reply #541 on: February 15, 2020, 12:58:04 PM »
Anyone see this from the excellent MLIG channel? And this is just part one. It's professional documentary level.

Svejk

« Reply #542 on: February 15, 2020, 12:59:07 PM »
ROTJ can lick my balls with it's shitty opening sand speeder level.  Was the beginning of the end of good LucasFarts.

Shuri

« Reply #543 on: February 16, 2020, 10:32:48 PM »
Re: Dragon Force Saturn

I think I posted about having bought this game a few months ago, I played it for a while then it got sidetracked by other purchases  :doge, I tried going back to it this weekend and Hmm. I can understand that's it was pretty neat for the time period, I can't help but feel that it's a bit simplistic and repetitive. I can't say I'm the best at the game but the gameplay is very rock/scissor/paper when it comes to strategies. Maybe I am missing something, but I think I was under the impression that the combat system was going to be deeper.

Is there a really point to the various formations? I feel like it's useful to dodge ranged attacks but..  :pitbull I was a man of culture in those days and I was playing stuff like Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3, so it feels a bit.. Thin.

Presentation is great!  I'm also going to be returning to Dark Savior for the Sega Saturn. I bought this with DragonForce and from what I played, it was pretty interesting.

tiesto, thanks for the FF1 suggestion, I started it today and wow, I'm really impressed by how well it was made.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #544 on: February 16, 2020, 11:04:38 PM »
I was a huge Landstalker fan, but the one-on-one combat in Dark Savior didn't quite work out for me. Some really unique design decisions in that game, basically how you play the opening chapter will take you to one of 5 different routes through the game. I really need to give that and Dragonforce a fair shake, since I wasn't really able to get into either game.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #545 on: February 16, 2020, 11:25:00 PM »
only hardcore final fantasy fans play ff1 on old flip phones

https://m.imgur.com/a/7wDmzb9
fat

Svejk

« Reply #546 on: February 17, 2020, 01:52:26 AM »
only hardcore final fantasy fans play ff1 on old flip phones

https://m.imgur.com/a/7wDmzb9
That was the way I played it my first time.  The ending dialogue/epilogue kinda kicked me in the feels part of my package.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #547 on: February 17, 2020, 11:10:34 AM »
I was a huge Landstalker fan, but the one-on-one combat in Dark Savior didn't quite work out for me. Some really unique design decisions in that game, basically how you play the opening chapter will take you to one of 5 different routes through the game. I really need to give that and Dragonforce a fair shake, since I wasn't really able to get into either game.

Landstalker was the GOAT and none of Climax's games following it were as good, IMO.  Although I did not play through Ladystalker.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #548 on: February 17, 2020, 11:25:08 AM »

Landstalker was the GOAT and none of Climax's games following it were as good, IMO.  Although I did not play through Ladystalker.
Alundra was right up there though...

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #549 on: February 17, 2020, 11:38:18 AM »

I need to give that another shot since there's a non-WD English version out there now.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #550 on: February 17, 2020, 11:48:48 AM »

I need to give that another shot since there's a non-WD English version out there now.
IIRC, that patch/mod allows for widescreen too. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #551 on: February 17, 2020, 12:28:35 PM »

IIRC, that patch/mod allows for widescreen too.

Last time I tried it (I think it was running the ISO on Retropie) it wouldn't play  :'(
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #552 on: February 17, 2020, 01:22:58 PM »
Last time I tried it (I think it was running the ISO on Retropie) it wouldn't play  :'(
Funny you mention that, when I tried it on the Wii U PS1 emu, I got all the way to the point you can use your sword again in the town... But the first patch of grass I cut anywhere instantly drops a rare item, and when I pick it up.... It crashes the game.    :(. I don't know if it's the emu or the iso or the patch.. too much tinkering for me to figure it out.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 02:49:54 PM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #554 on: February 19, 2020, 02:50:07 PM »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #555 on: February 19, 2020, 02:51:24 PM »
Glad there's a PC version too, even if it is only the LE.  Gonna probably get that- Monkey Island is one of my favorite games of all time. :drool

EDIT: This is also the Sega CD version.  A PC version is coming later. Hmm... :thinking
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #556 on: February 19, 2020, 03:02:05 PM »
I actually have the Sega CD version.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #557 on: February 19, 2020, 08:06:58 PM »
I actually have the Sega CD version.

It's OK, but the PC version was the best.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #558 on: February 19, 2020, 08:30:30 PM »
I never knew there was a Sega CD version... My preteen years feel robbed. :-\

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #559 on: February 19, 2020, 09:00:37 PM »
Load times were terrible on the Sega CD version and it used a password save system that sometimes wouldn’t “remember” items you’d picked up. It’s a curiosity at best, not sure why they’re releasing it.
©@©™

Tuckers Law

« Reply #560 on: February 20, 2020, 04:52:52 PM »
Missed opportunity to create and pack in a rubber chicken with a pulley in it.
  :trash

Occam

« Reply #561 on: February 21, 2020, 08:44:21 AM »
Not sure why anyone who collects games would buy these reprints. While they are legal (because LRG obtains the rights to do them from the companies who currently own the rights), just like LRG's other reprints of old console games for GB, NES, SNES, N64 etc., they aren't actually licensed by the platform owners (Nintendo, Sega, etc.).
Meaning, unlike their games for current systems (PS4, Switch, PS Vita), these console re-releases aren't official. So for collecting purposes, they have little to no value. Even completionists who try to collect complete game libraries don't need them.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #562 on: February 21, 2020, 08:55:13 AM »
Not sure why anyone who collects games would buy these reprints. While they are legal (because LRG obtains the rights to do them from the companies who currently own the rights), just like LRG's other reprints of old console games for GB, NES, SNES, N64 etc., they aren't actually licensed by the platform owners (Nintendo, Sega, etc.).
Meaning, unlike their games for current systems (PS4, Switch, PS Vita), these console re-releases aren't official. So for collecting purposes, they have little to no value. Even completionists who try to collect complete game libraries don't need them.

I'm interested because I love me some Monkey Island.  I see they're doing this for Rebel Assault on Sega CD too.  I assume the same would go for someone who is a fan of that game.  They already know the collectors are going to buy up most of their stock anyway.

Dunno if I'm going to get the Sega CD MI set anyway with them saying a PC re-release is coming later on.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 09:13:25 AM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 09:11:56 AM by bork »
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #564 on: February 21, 2020, 09:04:59 AM »
Wouldn't mind grabbing realMyst. :gladbron
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #565 on: February 21, 2020, 09:12:19 AM »
Wouldn't mind grabbing realMyst. :gladbron

What about the Nurse Love collection for Switch?

:uguu
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #566 on: February 21, 2020, 09:31:44 AM »
:jeb
dog

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #567 on: February 21, 2020, 02:17:35 PM »

I'm interested because I love me some Monkey Island.  I see they're doing this for Rebel Assault on Sega CD too.  I assume the same would go for someone who is a fan of that game.  They already know the collectors are going to buy up most of their stock anyway.

Dunno if I'm going to get the Sega CD MI set anyway with them saying a PC re-release is coming later on.

I've tried replaying Rebel Assault on Sega CD recently and it's borderline unplayable now, as in it's damn near impossible to see where you need to move or shoot at.  I have no idea how I was able to 1CC it back in the day, especially since I was usually under the influence of heavy psychedelics.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #568 on: February 21, 2020, 02:56:13 PM »

I've tried replaying Rebel Assault on Sega CD recently and it's borderline unplayable now, as in it's damn near impossible to see where you need to move or shoot at.  I have no idea how I was able to 1CC it back in the day, especially since I was usually under the influence of heavy psychedelics.

Impressive!

That's gotta be one of the worst, if not the worst version of the game, too. 
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #569 on: February 21, 2020, 03:23:25 PM »

Impressive!

That's gotta be one of the worst, if not the worst version of the game, too.

Shockingly a lot of Sega CD versions of games aren't that great now.  I've gotten the 25th anniversary remasters of some of the FMV games like Night Trap and Corpse Killer and I enjoy them, but going back to the original versions is terrible.  I have no idea how I was able to play those games back then.  Even shitty Hong Kong bootlegs on Video CD have better AV quality.

Shuri

« Reply #570 on: February 22, 2020, 10:31:21 AM »
Unfortunately yeah, Sega CD fmv stuff is aging terribly. 3DO fmv games are still perfectly fine.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #571 on: February 22, 2020, 11:50:12 AM »
If I remember right, the Sega CD's disc drive was incredibly slow [and it had a really limited color palette], so video sequences ended up being choppy and grainy.
dog

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #572 on: February 22, 2020, 12:23:33 PM »

Or maybe people just like buying old games so they can play them on original hardware?

Fuck collectors who buy games just because "they're valuable." That mentality is driving game prices out the ass and ruining the market.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 12:39:30 PM by a slime appears »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #573 on: February 22, 2020, 12:35:42 PM »
Nothing beats an original (tm)
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #574 on: February 22, 2020, 12:41:33 PM »

Or maybe people just like buying old games so they can play them on original hardware?

Fuck collectors who buy games just because "they're valuable." That mentality is driving game prices out the ass and ruining the market.

Drag 'em, king.
dog

« Reply #575 on: February 22, 2020, 12:41:34 PM »

I get where you are coming from, but at that point why not just buy a replica or a multicart if you only want to play it on the original hardware?

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #576 on: February 22, 2020, 12:46:07 PM »
Hey if that's what you want to do then awesome. No judgement, man. Enjoy retro however you want you fucking stud.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 12:56:26 PM by a slime appears »

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #577 on: February 22, 2020, 12:52:18 PM »
Speaking of which this is incredible:

God bless Sega and the Saturn.
:salute

Chooky

« Reply #578 on: February 22, 2020, 02:57:05 PM »
Sega CD was worse and more pointless than the 32X

noooooo no fucking way. Sega cd had a fair amount of genuinely great games, some of which are still ported today. 32x had like 30 games and the best of those were ports. all the original games fucking sucked. SUCKED

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #579 on: February 22, 2020, 04:10:48 PM »
Speaking of which this is incredible:

God bless Sega and the Saturn.
:salute

This needs to hurry up and get released.
dog

Svejk

« Reply #580 on: February 22, 2020, 04:17:04 PM »
Only thing that's allowed to straddle a Genesis, is a Master System Power base Converter.

Svejk

« Reply #581 on: February 22, 2020, 04:59:26 PM »
The Genesis only had so many holes for such a train.  Tower of Power fo life.

Occam

« Reply #582 on: February 22, 2020, 07:13:57 PM »

I get where you are coming from, but at that point why not just buy a replica or a multicart if you only want to play it on the original hardware?

Exactly, or in this case, burn a CD.
Limited Run Games is producing these, erm, let's call them "reprints" to sell  to collectors who aren't exactly thinking things through. They are about as valuable as a reprint of Action Comics #1. They are not collector's items. So the people they are aimed at really should not be buying them at all.

Chooky

« Reply #583 on: February 22, 2020, 07:34:53 PM »
32X also sucked. At least with the 32X you could put Genesis games into it.

(Image removed from quote.)

:lol :lol :lol this hunk of shit

:lol i still got mine. i'll never hook it up again (three ac adapters wtf) but at this point it's staying with me til i die. long live my legacy of bad choices

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #584 on: February 22, 2020, 09:10:33 PM »
Sega CD was worse and more pointless than the 32X

Fuck no - Snatcher, the superior version of Lunar, Shining Force CD, Robo Aleste, Popful Mail, Android Assault, Soulstar, Keio Flying Squadron, Space Adventure Cobra, and to a lesser extent, Vay and Dark Wizard beg to differ. 32x was a garbage fire, I reckon Tempo is the only decent original game.
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #585 on: February 22, 2020, 10:05:56 PM »

:girlaff
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #586 on: February 22, 2020, 10:06:45 PM »

:jeb
dog

Shuri

« Reply #587 on: February 22, 2020, 10:14:06 PM »
I know several collectors IRL who have complet sealed sets of those LRG games.  They just have them on shelves, never to be opened. When I see them for sales on the aftermarket, the great majority of them are still sealed.

They’re just commodities being used as future flip fodder to fund purchases of godawful cib nes/snes/n64 rareties.

80% of LRG releases are total trash too.

I’m just glad those idiots are wasting their funds on lrg/switch shit while leaving neo-geo/arcade/saturn/pc engine stuff to me.

Occam

« Reply #588 on: February 23, 2020, 03:57:37 AM »
I don't mind LRG's modern releases. But buying unlicensed reprints of old games for "collecting" is a bridge too far for me.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #589 on: February 23, 2020, 11:30:12 AM »
I'll only buy a limited run if it's a game I really wanna play... i.e. Cosmic Star Heroine or Darius Burst. No interest in having sealed games sitting on my shelf.
^_^

Shuri

« Reply #590 on: February 23, 2020, 02:00:27 PM »
am I the only person to have enjoyed Road Avenger? I even got the Sega Saturn remaster.

Another game I bought last year, the amazing Night Striker S, for the Sega Saturn.

The soundtrack is fucking awesome, the gameplay is fun (if a bit easy? I recommend cracking up the difficulty level).

Chooky

« Reply #591 on: February 23, 2020, 07:53:06 PM »
fmv games were garbage, but road avenger and time gal were the exceptions

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #592 on: February 23, 2020, 09:12:09 PM »
I'll only buy a limited run if it's a game I really wanna play... i.e. Cosmic Star Heroine or Darius Burst. No interest in having sealed games sitting on my shelf.

I collect, but generally only to have physical copies of games I have played or want to play.  For me the main reason most of them stay sealed is because I already have a digital copy, lol- a lot of those titles get physical releases a while after the digital versions.

The one game I can think of that seems to have only come out as a limited physical production run release is Ultracore (the game included with the Mega SG).  Unless I've missed something, it's not on any digital storefronts.
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #593 on: February 23, 2020, 09:29:58 PM »
I am playing the first "Glory of Heracles" game on NES (Heracles no Eikou) and it's pretty funny how this game works (precursor to Dead Rising / BoF Dragon Quarter system?).

- No Battery Saves. Only Password (save states baby)
- The password doesn't actually save your "progress" but instead carries over your current level and items.
- Make progress, but decide to stop and write your password? All of your progress is gone! Go kill those bosses again
- The goal of the game is the do the 12 heroic labors of Hercules
- The game is open-ended (you can literally go anywhere you want - unless you don't have X item). Of course, some areas and dungeons have stronger enemies than others.
- The game is very "hint" specific so you need to talk to anyone and write down everything they say.
- The game has a durability system!
- You can actually sell "key items" and if you do, you have to do the quest again to get it back.
fat

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #594 on: February 24, 2020, 09:03:37 AM »
I bought a 32X at launch.  I was going to college in a tiny town in Iowa and had to bum a ride to the "big city" of Cedar Rapids to pay $190 to get it.

:point

I liked the FMV games back in the day.  I got the PS4 remasters of Night Trap, Corpse Killer, and Double Switch and had fun with them, especially Corpse Killer.  The video quality on Sega CD stuff is garbage now, and that is from someone that has watched hundreds of movies on Video CD format.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #595 on: February 24, 2020, 09:20:58 AM »
It was garbage video quality back then, too- but it was the cheapest way to play CD games so nobody really cared at the time.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #596 on: February 24, 2020, 09:23:16 AM »
"Sega CD...  Have the game AND the soundtrack altogether.!.. (just don't play that first track on a conventional CD player)"
 :rejoice

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #597 on: February 24, 2020, 09:48:51 AM »
I bought the PS4 versions of Night Trap and Double Switch, didn't get Corpse Killer though
fat

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #598 on: February 24, 2020, 09:50:12 AM »
It was garbage video quality back then, too- but it was the cheapest way to play CD games so nobody really cared at the time.

I'm sure you're right.  I used to take what Joe Rogan (I know, PROBLEMATIC~!) calls a "heroic" amount of mushrooms and that 320 x 280 video was fucking mind-blowing.  I also wasted a 5 day weekend with the Sega CD version of FIFA because the real chants in surround sound were revolutionary, or at least it sounded like it.

:lucas

"Sega CD...  Have the game AND the soundtrack altogether.!.. (just don't play that first track on a conventional CD player)"
 :rejoice

My Sega CD was my CD player.

:picard

I bought the PS4 versions of Night Trap and Double Switch, didn't get Corpse Killer though

It's still pretty fun despite not using an actual light gun.  They added some new zombies and levels.  Plus this fine lass in HD.

:money
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 09:55:23 AM by porkbun »

Rman

« Reply #599 on: February 24, 2020, 10:12:53 AM »
I did LRG once. I'm glad they exist, but I'm so in the digital workflow these days.  Changing disks or carts is just so archaic to me.  I also hate looking at shelves full of games. 

Hardback books, vinyl records, etc. All look way better media-wise.