Author Topic: Retro Thread for old gamers  (Read 89901 times)

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
Re: Retro Thread for old gamers
« Reply #420 on: September 25, 2019, 09:44:19 AM »
Work colleagues are not friends.  :kermit

Pretty much the way I feel, I might say "hey if you go on eBay, you could probably get some good $$$" but chances are they probably wouldn't care anyway.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #421 on: September 28, 2019, 09:20:31 PM »
Went and checked out the Round One that opened up here a couple of years back.  Was a bit of drive (it's in a mall out in the middle of nowhere) but cool to go see- it's like they took a Japanese game center and up and moved everything inside to 'Murica.  Was exactly the same and full of mostly Japanese cabs- loads of Bemani stuff and lots of older racing game cabs.  Tried out Luigi's Mansion arcade from Capcom.  It was dumb.  They even had Nesica cabs with multiple fighting games and Street Fighter V Arcade Edition with network play, lol.
ど助平

Rman

« Reply #422 on: September 29, 2019, 09:05:54 AM »
I've always wanted to visit a Final Round. As a fellow oldster, modern American arcades a la Dave and Busters, are a travesty. 

Shuri

« Reply #423 on: September 29, 2019, 09:59:25 AM »
Bought a bunch of games at a local retrogaming event last week

Way of the Warrior 3DO:

I's kind of an infamous game, it doesnt exactly play well but it has a pretty badass Rod Zombie soundtrack. It's an interesting novelty, and that lava pit fatality is still pretty neat. Controls are crap but like I said, it's a novelty game.

Need for Speed 3DO:

The original one! A very impressive game when it was released! It has aged quite a lot but it's still quite playable. Finally owning a copy is pretty cool, I remember playing this endlessly on a demo unit in a mall during that summer where Batman Forever came out with that damn U2 theme song stuck in the head.

Robocop 3 Genesis:

Nice chunky genesis graphics, cool sound effects but ruined by it's difficulty level.

Battletoads vs Double Dragon Genesis:

Frankly the snes port was superior when it comes to presentation. The gameplay is still there and it's fun, except for the super easy bosses. Still pretty humorous and fun to play.

X-Men Genesis:

A popular release, but I just can't get into it at all. I know it's a well liked game but it's not clicking with me. Great graphics, fun soundtrack.. But i'm   :doge about the gameplay. a very hyped game upon release.

Captain America and the avengers Genesis:

A big downgrade compared to the arcade version, but the gameplay is still there. The soundtrack is so fucking catchy during boss fights.

Super Star Wars SNES:

A classic action platformer, I played this so much back in the days that I would speedrun the entire thing without losing a life. Still fun to play. Great presentation for the snes

Super Return of the jedi SNES:

What the fuck. This game is impossible. What happened to the difficulty level? You get assaulted NON STOP by endless enemies, traps, bottomless pits and super hard bosses. I don't get how I completely dominate the first game and I can barely finish the first few levels without losing all my credits. WTF?

TOP GEAR 2 Snes:

Mega classic game of the nineties. Great gameplay, incredible soundtrack, but ugh the terrible framerate is making this game hard to play in 2019.

Killer instinct snes:

Great port back then considering the hardware, the game play was all there. It's Killer instinct!

Killer instinct Gold N64:

A strange upgraded port of Killer Instinct 2 arcade. Very decent, fun to play. I can't say anything really bad about it. The soundtrack is pretty epic.

Mortal Kombat Trilogy N64:

Secretly my favorite port of MKT. The sound effects are super low quality but there are no loading times. It looks great on the n64 and it's just endlessly playable.

Zombies ate my neighbors SNES:

Super fun coop title. Music is catchy, still very playable.. a classic!

The 7th Saga SNES:

I remember being blown away by the concept back in the days when it was explained to me by a friend. An rpg where you can choose from between 7 characters, team up with them or kill them eventually? There's a wide variety of classes, it's all very j-rpg. I gotta actually spend time with the game but i'm hyped that I can finally get to play it after 25 years  :lol. I've heard the encounter rate is pretty super high tho.

Dragon Force SEGA SATURN

Holy fuuuuccck this game is awesome so far. it's a japanese take on Heroes of Might and Magic, but with real time strategy-ish battles. The gameplay seems deep so far, but wow. One of the few games where the hype was worth it. The game is pretty complicated at first, the menu system (and weird traduction, sometimes) makes it more complicated than it should, but wow. One of the best saturn game.

Waku waku 7 sega saturn

Dear God.. What happened? Huge downgrade over the Neogeo version, the audio is super weak, there are CONSTANT LOADING TIMES (3 loading screens before you get to a fight, and another one for every round) and lots of backgrounds are super compressed. It's a shame, as it was one of my favorite quirky game on the MVS. I'm still hunting for a legit copy of the mvs game..

:doge and this completes my rundown of my latest retro purchases.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #424 on: September 29, 2019, 10:17:06 AM »
7th Saga got fucked up for US release (since we have big fat white cocks) so it's needlessly difficult and shit was nerfed (xp/gold). There is a patch to change US version to the JP values

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/264/
fat

Chooky

« Reply #425 on: September 29, 2019, 10:17:46 AM »
xmen was a shitty game that only got so much attention because it was still better than all the other abysmal xmen games. and that one gimmick is still the most fucked up thing in all of gaming.

and being excited for the 7th saga... might wanna read up on the localization changes they made to it first. iirc it's almost impossible to beat, and it might literally be impossible with certain character combinations?

still tho, very nice haul. a lot of fun stuff in there.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #426 on: September 29, 2019, 10:22:17 AM »
Bought a bunch of games at a local retrogaming event last week

Good stuff!  A few comments:

Battletoads vs Double Dragon Genesis- What happened to the music here?  So bad, lol.

X-Men Genesis- Never got into this one.  Liked the sequel a lot more.

Captain America and the avengers Genesis:

A big downgrade compared to the arcade version, but the gameplay is still there. The soundtrack is so fucking catchy during boss fights.

OK port of a shit game, but man those are some good 16-bit tunes!   :lol

Killer instinct Gold N64:

A strange upgraded port of Killer Instinct 2 arcade. Very decent, fun to play. I can't say anything really bad about it. The soundtrack is pretty epic.

Missing a bunch of animation from the arcade original.

Waku waku 7 sega saturn

Dear God.. What happened? Huge downgrade over the Neogeo version, the audio is super weak, there are CONSTANT LOADING TIMES (3 loading screens before you get to a fight, and another one for every round) and lots of backgrounds are super compressed. It's a shame, as it was one of my favorite quirky game on the MVS. I'm still hunting for a legit copy of the mvs game..

There's also this-

Arcade-perfect versions of Galaxy Fight and Waku Waku 7!
ど助平

Shuri

« Reply #427 on: September 29, 2019, 10:40:06 AM »
7th Saga got fucked up for US release (since we have big fat white cocks) so it's needlessly difficult and shit was nerfed (xp/gold). There is a patch to change US version to the JP values

ah cool, thanks for the link. I had no idea! I'm gonna try it with my everdrive..

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #428 on: September 29, 2019, 10:46:47 AM »

ah cool, thanks for the link. I had no idea! I'm gonna try it with my everdrive..

That's really cool, I remember getting pretty far along in 7th Saga when I was little and then one of the other playable characters defeated me, stole my rune, and then she was literally impossible to beat due to the stat imbalances. From what I remember, even aside from the borked difficulty, the game wasn't anything to write home about... Brain Lord is from the same team (Almanac or Produce I believe) and is a better game, though it's a puzzle-heavy action RPG.
^_^

Svejk

« Reply #429 on: September 29, 2019, 11:29:13 AM »
Dragon Force is the bombdiggity.  Wish they ported the 2nd one to 'Murica.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #430 on: September 29, 2019, 04:48:06 PM »
NES "port" of Captain American & The Avengers was the superior port. The SNES/Gen version of the arcade game was just too fucking slow.

Not even the same game.

:yuck
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #431 on: September 29, 2019, 04:58:36 PM »
They're all shit.

But who the hell is going to take the NES game over the 16-bit and arcade games?   :lol

Fuck outta here with that shit.  :P
 :steiner
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #432 on: September 30, 2019, 08:53:53 AM »

Super Return of the jedi SNES:

What the fuck. This game is impossible. What happened to the difficulty level? You get assaulted NON STOP by endless enemies, traps, bottomless pits and super hard bosses. I don't get how I completely dominate the first game and I can barely finish the first few levels without losing all my credits. WTF?

IIRC the major compliant on Super Star Wars was the difficulty (specifically a couple of levels like the Sandcrawler) so Super Empire was made too easy, and Super Return swung the other way.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #433 on: September 30, 2019, 09:24:03 AM »
I'm not taking it over the arcade game. I'm taking it over the SNES/GEN port of the arcade game that is agonizingly slow.

The NES game doesn't exactly look speedy either.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #434 on: September 30, 2019, 10:12:47 AM »
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #435 on: October 16, 2019, 09:14:52 AM »
Got the Replicade Street Fighter II mini cabinet.  Haven't had too much time to play it yet, but it's pretty badass so far.  The build quality on these is incredible.

Shuri

« Reply #436 on: November 15, 2019, 08:44:14 PM »

Received my copy of Twin Cobra II aka Kyukyoku Tiger II for the sega saturn. Amazing, Amazing shmup. Pure pixel goodness from 1997, fast action, perfect controls. I love it.

The only drawback is the semi long loading times between levels and the strange 1-2 seconds of loading time after a continue screen. But wow. It's.. amazing.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #437 on: November 15, 2019, 09:13:04 PM »
I can't play bullet-hell games. I get stressed just watching them.

Shuri

« Reply #438 on: November 16, 2019, 10:58:26 AM »
I can't play bullet-hell games. I get stressed just watching them.
Once you start playing them, it gets very addictive. It's very rewarding to see how far you can get with one credit.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #439 on: November 16, 2019, 11:06:00 AM »
Speaking of bullet-hell, my copy of Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets for 360 just arrived in the mail 8)
^_^

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #440 on: November 29, 2019, 09:35:50 PM »
Awww yeah got a good Black Friday deal on the Genesis mini.  Looking forward to bastardizing it by modding it play SNES games.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #441 on: November 29, 2019, 10:07:04 PM »
Awww yeah got a good Black Friday deal on the Genesis mini.  Looking forward to bastardizing it by modding it play SNES games.

(Image removed from quote.)

Haven't looked at the modding stuff for this at all- does it do anything better than the other mini consoles?
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #442 on: November 30, 2019, 07:57:18 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Is there a way to mod it yet? I just want to add S&K3
What

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #443 on: November 30, 2019, 02:23:58 PM »
No way to mod it yet, but since it has 2 USB ports for the controllers, it's only a matter of time.  You can easily switch regions on it, so you can play Contra Hard Corps with a life bar, SF2 with the original names, etc.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #444 on: November 30, 2019, 02:31:27 PM »
You can technically mod it using latest Hakchi, but all it does is install Retroarch on it, which is [boring] since you already have a million other devices that do that.

Keep an eye on Project Lunar, which aims to do that plus let you use the default emulator, which has a surprisingly high compatibility rate with games.

https://modmyclassic.com/project-lunar/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lW8ViyN_Sg0hrXCAqGgX0UEYwaWMhrcbJ_GzzNfTNlA/edit#gid=0
fat

Himu

« Reply #445 on: December 09, 2019, 02:38:31 AM »
Got a new Nintendo 64.

I want some Nintendo 64 games. Is anyone willing to let go of any?
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #446 on: December 09, 2019, 05:39:11 PM »
Yea send me some N64 games too, haha. Not that they've gone up in price or anything
fat

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #447 on: December 09, 2019, 05:48:54 PM »
Got a new Nintendo 64.

I want some Nintendo 64 games. Is anyone willing to let go of any?

Go to AliExpress and get a multicart.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #448 on: December 10, 2019, 01:10:30 AM »
I have an EverDrive 64 and use it to play all my

...homebrew

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #449 on: December 10, 2019, 07:39:09 AM »
New additions to the mini arcade

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #450 on: December 17, 2019, 07:23:23 PM »

Voodoo 2  :lawd
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #451 on: December 17, 2019, 10:53:31 PM »
Loved Shadows of the Empire as a young lad.
dog

Chooky

« Reply #453 on: December 30, 2019, 12:34:23 PM »
how tf was a genesis game going to look that good? were they going to do a sega cd release too? those graphics and the amount of variety look unreal for an old cart game.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #454 on: December 30, 2019, 12:45:33 PM »
how tf was a genesis game going to look that good? were they going to do a sega cd release too? those graphics and the amount of variety look unreal for an old cart game.

Reminds a lot of Toy Story.  I bet the game would have played like garbage though.

This is all we ever got, lol

ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #455 on: December 30, 2019, 01:27:24 PM »
I can't get over that awful GEMS music though  :-X :-X :-X
^_^

Tasty

« Reply #456 on: December 31, 2019, 11:13:59 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #457 on: January 02, 2020, 12:20:36 PM »
https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/nintendo-play-station-prototype-sony-and-nintendo-c-1990s/p/7224-87001.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Someone's auctioning a real Nintendo PlayStation!

Edit- It's apparently the "last one" to survive, but I mean, who knows if that's really true.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #458 on: January 02, 2020, 12:25:23 PM »
Isn't there only "the one"? I heard the father/son duo kept promoting it at events in order to generate interest for when he finally sells it off.
fat

Tasty

« Reply #459 on: January 02, 2020, 12:49:07 PM »
Yeah see edit. It's the same one from all the YouTube vids.

I read he turned down $1.2 million from a Swedish collector a while ago. Lol good luck...

Shuri

« Reply #460 on: January 05, 2020, 05:32:12 AM »
it's a shame that it's pretty much useless.  I mean, it plays sfc carts, and that's it.  if it came with a bunch of tech demos  that used the cd drive, or anything at all, then it would be interesting but eh :beli

That Akira demo was pretty neat, and  :neogaf at the Amiga version. But let's face it -- most of the amiga library is unplayable trash. Great graphics for the time, but mostly unplayable

Tasty

« Reply #461 on: January 05, 2020, 10:18:39 AM »
Who knows what kind of CDs might pop up in auction lots years from now. Although I suppose at this point those CDs would be reaching their end of life. :-\ It'd be cool to fully reverse engineer the hardware so we could replicate it in the future as needed.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #462 on: January 07, 2020, 07:20:32 AM »
Is it just me or are GameCube/Wii game not increasing in value as time goes by?
I remember that GameCube games went for a pretty penny when the Wii was popular and people had missed out on all those games.
But now Tales of Symphonia can be found for 30 Euro.

Same for 360 games btw. The odd Limited Edition Alan Wake could still get you over 50 Euro but outside of that a Limited Edition of GoW2 for example is only worth 15 Euro.

Perhaps the value goes up as time goes by but I'm uncertain that will happen.
It reminds me of the MegaDrive games. Outside of the really Rare ones such as Mega Man or Castlevania they always remained worthless.
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #463 on: January 07, 2020, 09:51:17 AM »
Depends on the game, of course. Some GC games are fairly valuable and I don't see prices dropping anytime soon. Skies of Arcadia Legends, Cubivore, Fire Emblem PoR, Baten Kaitos Origins...
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #464 on: January 07, 2020, 10:44:54 AM »
Nintendo is the definition of HODL

Feels so good owning Cubivore mmm yes daddy

Even third party games for Gamecube are worth more than on PS2/Xbox

Examples:

Def Jam Fight For NY
Timesplitters Future Perfect
Gauntlet Dark Legacy

Not that I've looked diligently at these hoping to get one for cheap
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #465 on: January 07, 2020, 10:51:00 AM »
Tales of Symphonia got ported to a bunch of platforms, the value dropping is expected
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #466 on: January 07, 2020, 11:50:32 AM »
Time Splitters FP for GameCube is 30 Euro.
Which is more than the average GC game but not something I would consider rare.

I have so many games I'll probably never play again in my life that I'm sort of wondering if I should start selling off some.
Mainly Wii games, of which I have nearly 80 I think and Xbox 360 games.
I enjoyed collecting over the years but if most Wii/360 era stuff is worthless it doesn't seem worth the effort.

🤴

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #467 on: January 07, 2020, 12:53:15 PM »
Oh, you're talking about EURO games

Nobody cares about Euro/PAL games haha

Seriously

They don't

Maybe your occasional exclusive. Maybe
fat

Sho Nuff

« Reply #468 on: January 07, 2020, 07:47:11 PM »
This weekend I hunkered down and played through all of Eric Chahi's HEART OF DARKNESS on PS1. The game is fucking brutally hard so I had to savescum through most of it. It's like Out of This World but taken to an even more extreme degree, kinda hard to describe. The animation is fucking phenomenal though. Has a real interesting development history, was like 5 years in the making and it kinda shows I guess. Glad I played it but not a great game.

Also, I played it via retroarch's BeetlePSX emulator using a CRT filter. I've hated these things in the past, but this is the first time I've done it with a 4k monitor, and it looked really, really nice. Almost looks like ye olde phosphors.

paprikastaude

« Reply #469 on: January 07, 2020, 08:12:28 PM »

I have so many games I'll probably never play again in my life that I'm sort of wondering if I should start selling off some.
I enjoyed collecting over the years but if most Wii/360 era stuff is worthless it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Paper Mario GCN is like 200€ right now.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #470 on: January 07, 2020, 08:43:56 PM »
This weekend I hunkered down and played through all of Eric Chahi's HEART OF DARKNESS on PS1. The game is fucking brutally hard so I had to savescum through most of it. It's like Out of This World but taken to an even more extreme degree, kinda hard to describe. The animation is fucking phenomenal though. Has a real interesting development history, was like 5 years in the making and it kinda shows I guess. Glad I played it but not a great game.

Also, I played it via retroarch's BeetlePSX emulator using a CRT filter. I've hated these things in the past, but this is the first time I've done it with a 4k monitor, and it looked really, really nice. Almost looks like ye olde phosphors.

I own this and the PC version. Even the [[[[[3D Glasses]]]]] Heart of Darkness makes my dick hard as... darkness
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #471 on: January 08, 2020, 04:48:16 AM »

Paper Mario GCN is like 200€ right now.

Gtfo is this for real?

Lol this game selling for 70/80 euro's.. shit is crazy.

Wish I didn't sell my GCN collection
What

Rahxephon91

« Reply #472 on: January 08, 2020, 05:09:33 AM »
sHOULD SELL ME cOPY OG tWIN sNAKES mAKE A NICE PROFIT ON SHITTY ASS MGS GAME

Shuri

« Reply #473 on: January 21, 2020, 08:09:12 AM »
One of the roms on my UMK3 arcade board had gone bad. Bought an eprom burner, a few blank chips, burned a new rom and god damn, the game works perfectly now.

:rejoice

Next step: do the same to my MK3 board. Seems like those chips are starting to go bad 🤔

In the coming days, i’ll be attempting to fix a dead Altered Beast board (it likely died from battery suiside) and a sega st-v board with cart problems. I got them both for peanuts, so fixing them would be a major victory

Fixing and learning about this stuff is so relaxing 😎

Sho Nuff

« Reply #474 on: January 22, 2020, 09:52:05 PM »
Found my old Ace Attorney 3 cartridge for DS and am wrapping it up after 15 years. Using a DSi which is the shit; nice to have 1:1 pixels and that huge display (3DS scaling of DS games is uggo).

Wondering what AA game I should play next, can't remember what order they take place in for the life of me.

Also if you have a DSi you should google MemoryPit

Rman

« Reply #475 on: January 22, 2020, 10:31:50 PM »
Don't know if this allowed here, but are there any decent ROMs sites around. I'm thinking of coping some Everdrives and going that route with original modded hardware. And no I'm not paying ridiculous prices for NES, SNES, Genesis carts. 

I do try to get stuff legit via classic collections so I'm not a complete garbage person. Nor do I pirate stuff I can't buy at reasonable prices.  I also buy all those mini consoles. But I'm itching for original hardware. The nostalgia boner is too strong.

You can guys can PM if it's not allowed.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #476 on: January 22, 2020, 11:35:55 PM »
Found my old Ace Attorney 3 cartridge for DS and am wrapping it up after 15 years. Using a DSi which is the shit; nice to have 1:1 pixels and that huge display (3DS scaling of DS games is uggo).

Wondering what AA game I should play next, can't remember what order they take place in for the life of me.

Also if you have a DSi you should google MemoryPit

All the AA games are in order, go nuts. 1 and 3 are pretty much the best in the series imo
fat

Sho Nuff

« Reply #477 on: January 23, 2020, 12:02:38 AM »
Should I do the Edgeworth spinoffs

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #478 on: January 23, 2020, 08:28:01 AM »
If you're looking for complete ROM sets, archive.org has them for pretty much any system.

Rman

« Reply #479 on: January 23, 2020, 08:41:44 AM »
Don't know if this allowed here, but are there any decent ROMs sites around. I'm thinking of coping some Everdrives and going that route with original modded hardware. And no I'm not paying ridiculous prices for NES, SNES, Genesis carts. 

I do try to get stuff legit via classic collections so I'm not a complete garbage person. Nor do I pirate stuff I can't buy at reasonable prices.  I also buy all those mini consoles. But I'm itching for original hardware. The nostalgia boner is too strong.

You can guys can PM if it's not allowed.

Emuparadise is still up and running strong. :lol at anyone who would think someone is a garbage person for downloading roms for 25-35 year old 8-16 bit kideos.

Idk.  Coming from GAF and ERA, didn't know the policy here lol.