Author Topic: Retro Thread for old gamers  (Read 88391 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Retro Thread for old gamers
« Reply #600 on: February 24, 2020, 10:20:22 AM »
Who reads books these days when we have audiobooks where people read for us? Ha ha so archaic

Vinyl ha ha ever heard of an iPod? So archaic
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #601 on: February 24, 2020, 10:27:35 AM »
I also hate looking at shelves full of games. 

ど助平

Chooky

« Reply #602 on: February 24, 2020, 10:59:19 AM »
after moving like five times in the last seven years i can confidently say that i fucking hate having a big physical collection too. it's nice to pull out some old games that i love and play them for awhile and look over the manuals and stuff. but having games that I'll never touch again, or newer games that are just a case with a disc? no thanks, that's a waste of space.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #603 on: February 24, 2020, 11:12:33 AM »
well stop moving five times over seven years. what are you, a gypsy?
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #604 on: February 24, 2020, 11:24:53 AM »
after moving like five times in the last seven years i can confidently say that i fucking hate having a big physical collection too. it's nice to pull out some old games that i love and play them for awhile and look over the manuals and stuff. but having games that I'll never touch again, or newer games that are just a case with a disc? no thanks, that's a waste of space.

I moved like six times within about the same amount of time, before finally buying a home, and it wasn't particularly difficult or time-consuming to put the games into some boxes and seal them up for the moves.

:idont
ど助平

Chooky

« Reply #605 on: February 24, 2020, 03:38:53 PM »

I moved like six times within about the same amount of time, before finally buying a home, and it wasn't particularly difficult or time-consuming to put the games into some boxes and seal them up for the moves.

:idont

:camby it's different when you can pay movers to carry all that shit for you ya rich so and so

well stop moving five times over seven years. what are you, a gypsy?

going thru marriage and then divorce will do it

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #606 on: February 24, 2020, 10:22:26 PM »
:camby it's different when you can pay movers to carry all that shit for you ya rich so and so

They weren't all with movers.
:bolo
ど助平

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #607 on: February 25, 2020, 04:06:50 AM »
I bought a really sticky-feeling Virtua Stick 2 years ago for 500 yen, cleaned it up / oiled the stick, and was loving it. Before I moved to Japan I got rid of a bunch of stuff and flipped it for $100, thinking "oh yeah I can get another one of those whenever I feel like it."

LIKE HELL. Took me forever but finally got a beautiful, beautiful replacement in box. Will break it in tonight playing SAKURA WARS, THE ENGLISH VERSION on my Sega Saturn via Framemeister (still haven't found a good CRT in Japan yet).

OTOH one of these fuckers is on sale way out in the boonies. It's been there for ages and it's not priced to move at 40,000 yen. Kind of yellowed but you bet your ass I'd Retrobrite it. I feel like I should get it since I had to give away my beautiful Astro City cab when I left  :stahp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #609 on: February 25, 2020, 07:25:44 AM »
LIKE HELL. Took me forever but finally got a beautiful, beautiful replacement in box. Will break it in tonight playing SAKURA WARS, THE ENGLISH VERSION on my Sega Saturn via Framemeister (still haven't found a good CRT in Japan yet).

What's your method of choice for playing English translations directly on your Saturn?
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #610 on: February 25, 2020, 08:50:48 AM »
Pseudosaturn works pretty good, from what I understand.
dog

Sho Nuff

« Reply #611 on: February 25, 2020, 12:30:21 PM »

What's your method of choice for playing English translations directly on your Saturn?

Yeah, I'm on Pseudosaturn Kai as well.

Hey, did you know that Sakura Wars is actually a bad harem VN, I've just made this horrifying discovery myself

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #612 on: February 25, 2020, 12:39:30 PM »

Yeah, I'm on Pseudosaturn Kai as well.

Hey, did you know that Sakura Wars is actually a bad harem VN, I've just made this horrifying discovery myself

Oh yeah, bro, Sakura Wars is all about getting them waifus.
©@©™

bluemax

« Reply #613 on: February 27, 2020, 10:27:01 PM »
NO

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #614 on: February 28, 2020, 10:08:00 AM »
LRG Star Wars and Monkey Island Sega CD releases are up!

Decided to pass on Monkey Island and wait to see how they handle the PC re-release.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 10:18:33 AM by bork »
ど助平

Rman

« Reply #615 on: February 28, 2020, 06:44:22 PM »
https://www.analogue.co/

New Analouge NT mini run. So damn pricey, though.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #616 on: March 01, 2020, 06:32:54 PM »
I am playing the first "Glory of Heracles" game on NES (Heracles no Eikou) and it's pretty funny how this game works (precursor to Dead Rising / BoF Dragon Quarter system?).

- No Battery Saves. Only Password (save states baby)
- The password doesn't actually save your "progress" but instead carries over your current level and items.
- Make progress, but decide to stop and write your password? All of your progress is gone! Go kill those bosses again
- The goal of the game is the do the 12 heroic labors of Hercules
- The game is open-ended (you can literally go anywhere you want - unless you don't have X item). Of course, some areas and dungeons have stronger enemies than others.
- The game is very "hint" specific so you need to talk to anyone and write down everything they say.
- The game has a durability system!
- You can actually sell "key items" and if you do, you have to do the quest again to get it back.

I just finished this game. I honestly wouldnt recommend it, I just really wanted to try it out. I used a guide the whole time.

Anyway,

- You can actually run away from "boss encounters" and majority of them aren't required unless they have an item you need for progression.
- Since you always get first action (unless the rare time you don't), you can just run away from pretty much every encounter (sometimes you get blocked - but this is also pretty rare).
- Around 3/4 in the game you access the Pyramids, which have a certain enemy that you can pretty much kill in 1-2 hits, and it gives you the most XP in the entire game. You can use this spot to grind up to pretty much max level in about an hour. Since you can run from every enemy first turn, you can just wait until you get this enemy and grind.
- Similarly there is an area (Amazonia) where there are enemies that drop a shitload of cash. At one point in the game you need 10000 to buy an item required.
- Even if you beat the final boss, if you don't have a specific item, you literally cannot beat the game. Imagine finally beating this boss, only to find out you don't have the item to win. Unfortunate
- The encounter rate is [terrible]. There seems to be a way to manipulate it, but sometimes it's just terrible no excuse.

I will try out the second game, which definitely seems more "traditional" dragon quest and hopefully not as "open ended"
fat

Occam

« Reply #617 on: March 02, 2020, 12:03:40 AM »
Thank you for your sacrifice. But why? This seems like a not fun way to spend your time.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #618 on: March 02, 2020, 12:16:36 AM »
I host a forum for disillusioned adults to post their dick, dont worry how my time is spent
fat

Occam

« Reply #619 on: March 02, 2020, 12:29:30 AM »
I was really just wondering if you actually enjoyed it, because you made it sound awful/like a chore.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #620 on: March 02, 2020, 12:31:56 AM »
If I didnt just use a guide I would have given up immediately. It was just general curiosity. The later entries look way better. I always wanted to check out the series since theres quite a few games released
fat

Occam

« Reply #621 on: March 02, 2020, 12:39:28 AM »
The later games actually look interesting.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #622 on: March 02, 2020, 12:46:59 AM »
Video does a pretty terrible job but it shows how much better the later games are. I briefly played the second game earlier today and it definitely is more "dragon quest" than the first game. Better visuals, better music. I will try to avoid using a guide when I can.
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Tuckers Law

« Reply #624 on: March 10, 2020, 02:00:20 PM »
$40 more for the “physical” edition and it doesn’t even have the actual game on physical discs, just a download code.

:iface

Occam

« Reply #625 on: March 10, 2020, 03:24:51 PM »
$40 more for the “physical” edition and it doesn’t even have the actual game on physical discs, just a download code.

That's hilariously awful. You have to be pretty special to support this.  "Forever physical"

If those unlicensed reprints of old console games weren't LRG's jump-the-shark moment, this definitely is.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #626 on: March 10, 2020, 04:39:42 PM »

:trumps

Certainly makes me think I probably won't bother with Monkey Island PC if this is what they're gonna do with that release.
ど助平

Tuckers Law

« Reply #627 on: March 10, 2020, 04:41:51 PM »
I immediately assumed that EA would be the culprit for not having a playable physical copy of the game, it would be extra stupid if they didn’t care and it was LRG that made the decision.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #628 on: March 13, 2020, 01:51:59 PM »
mi pc rerelease what?
What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #629 on: May 04, 2020, 03:26:08 AM »
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=IAM8BIT

Best Buy is selling licensed repro carts now I guess. $100 tho, lol.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #630 on: May 04, 2020, 03:36:47 AM »
Colored cartridges :disgust

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #631 on: May 04, 2020, 06:20:52 AM »

What the fuck  :lol
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #632 on: May 04, 2020, 09:29:49 AM »

What the fuck  :lol

Yeah.  $99 for REPROS.  That's where we're at now.  :lol :rofl
:mindblown

These are supposed to be "limited edition" production runs, too.  Yet now Iam8bit is distributing to Best Buy?  LOL.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #633 on: May 04, 2020, 10:31:47 AM »
$124 with tax/shipping  :lol

Asks himself why he bothered and complains throughout the video that he paid too much for it.   :doge
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #634 on: May 04, 2020, 10:34:28 AM »
"rare" :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #635 on: May 04, 2020, 10:39:47 AM »
"rare" :lol

Whatever you can do to get those clicks.  :brain

Haven't looked at that dude's channel in a couple of years since he's generally pretty annoying.  I see now he moved to talking in front of a green screen and just posts thumbnails of himself with the same expression on top of every video.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #636 on: May 04, 2020, 10:42:57 AM »
i barely understand why someone would buy a repro to begin with, much less a $100 repro lmao

Tasty

« Reply #637 on: May 04, 2020, 04:36:40 PM »
One of the side-ventures I want to start is like, extremely limited runs of replica GameBoy carts for recent GB homebrew games. I bought a cartridge reader-writer to explore this a bit.

I figured such a thing might be able to sustain itself if the games were $40-50. (I mean, if I *just* shipped cartridges instead of box/manual/labels/etc., could probably get away with $10-20 per.) I understand the "collector" aspect and licensing is pushing those costs higher, but yeah... $99 for ugly cartridges of games everyone already owns does not sound like a winner.

Tasty

« Reply #638 on: May 04, 2020, 04:38:09 PM »
i barely understand why someone would buy a repro to begin with, much less a $100 repro lmao

If you're not a collector but still want to buy cartridges there's nothing wrong with repros. The save situation on repro carts is also usually far better (FRAM instead of watch batteries) and obviously, something newly-manufactured is going to look a lot better on average than something old and used.

The big benefit of repros though is their low cost, which this completely misses. :lol

Occam

« Reply #639 on: May 04, 2020, 05:22:48 PM »
Repros have zero collector's value, anybody can make more at any time.
Anyone who is not a moron and just wants to play the games on the original hardware should simply get a flash cartridge.

Tasty

« Reply #640 on: May 04, 2020, 05:39:32 PM »
Discrete cartridges have their uses.

I don't enjoy being called a moron.

Occam

« Reply #641 on: May 04, 2020, 05:58:59 PM »
That wasn't aimed at you, but rather anyone who would pay $100 for a repro.

Tasty

« Reply #642 on: May 04, 2020, 07:08:47 PM »
Nonapology not accepted.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #643 on: May 04, 2020, 08:35:34 PM »
If you're not a collector but still want to buy cartridges there's nothing wrong with repros. The save situation on repro carts is also usually far better (FRAM instead of watch batteries) and obviously, something newly-manufactured is going to look a lot better on average than something old and used.

The big benefit of repros though is their low cost, which this completely misses. :lol
fair enough. for me its more the thought process of "if its not original than just get an everdrive or something similar at that point". but for the cheap ones i understand it a lot more than a "collector's repro"

i'm also not a collector, i just want to play the game. so it's a different mindset entirely. kinda why i like the nes/snes classic though. neat little object, controllers that feel good, and i can put every game on them

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #644 on: May 04, 2020, 09:18:04 PM »
I've considered buying a few Saturn repros [since they're about $40 compared to hundreds of dollars for the real deal], but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Charging $100+ for a repro is insane, though.
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #645 on: May 05, 2020, 01:02:52 AM »

I've seen some extremely well-done repros (mostly of fan-translated games) with detailed instruction books and 'feelies' included.

A lot of Turbo fanboys hate them, but I think PCE Works does a really nice job on repros. Including some games with never-before-seen English translations. (As an aside: Out of the myriad obscure gaming subcultures, rabid Turbo fanboys may be one of the strangest)
https://pceworks.wordpress.com/2014/11/13/pce-memories-ii/
^_^

Tasty

« Reply #646 on: May 05, 2020, 08:37:20 AM »
Yeah you can buy fan-translated N64 Animal Forest cartridges which is pretty damn amazing.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/793588443/animal-crossing-video-games-cartridge

Occam

« Reply #647 on: May 05, 2020, 09:24:12 AM »
That's great, but it's not a reproduction; it never existed back in the day.

Tasty

« Reply #648 on: May 05, 2020, 09:37:01 AM »
:social2

First member to go on my ignore list ever. Congrats.

Occam

« Reply #649 on: May 05, 2020, 10:09:00 AM »
Weaksauce.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 10:19:11 AM by Occam »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #650 on: May 05, 2020, 10:22:07 AM »
calls someone else weak, edits his posts like a little bitch :lol

fuccboi occam :lol

Occam

« Reply #651 on: May 05, 2020, 10:26:21 AM »
Nah, that was the adult thing to do. I put him on ignore, too, but then decided against it, hence the edit.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #652 on: May 05, 2020, 10:28:25 AM »
Don't worry Occam I agree with you. Down with repros
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #654 on: May 26, 2020, 11:17:32 AM »
neat, but the notes say all this does is fix load times and slowdown. the terrible transparencies and tinny sound quality will still be there. still neat for anyone that wants to give this version a shot, but the psp/ps4 version is the best since it added most stuff from the Saturn version but is ps1 fidelity.
pcp

Svejk

« Reply #655 on: May 27, 2020, 12:42:40 AM »
Now, Phantasy Star Retranslation version 2.0 (from the same folks, along with newcomer Damien Guard) brings a yet more polished English script along with a bevy of much-appreciated quality-of-life improvements. Below the new sound test menu you’ll find options to increase Alis’ Alisa’s walking speed, XP and money multipliers, an option to reduce battle frequency, and cosmetic choices for hair color and font.

https://www.smspower.org/Translations/PhantasyStar-SMS-EN

https://kotaku.com/new-phantasy-star-english-patch-was-14-years-in-the-mak-1843690662

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #656 on: May 27, 2020, 08:06:53 AM »
Mad Stalker, a new Mega Drive game, is coming out in September:

https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1254998.html

ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #657 on: May 27, 2020, 09:18:45 AM »
I've played that game on X68000 before, it's p.cool.
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #658 on: May 27, 2020, 12:06:07 PM »
I've played that game on X68000 before, it's p.cool.

I see it got a PS1 remake, too.
:leon

And it sells for ridiculous prices.  Imma try a rom or something.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:13:00 PM by bork »
ど助平

Sho Nuff

« Reply #659 on: May 27, 2020, 08:21:07 PM »
Mad Stalker has a DOPE fuckin soundtrack