Author Topic: Retro Thread for old gamers  (Read 88464 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Retro Thread for old gamers
« Reply #780 on: March 29, 2021, 10:19:33 AM »
jack bros is doodoo. wario land baby.
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #781 on: March 29, 2021, 11:20:27 AM »
jack bros is doodoo. wario land baby.

The novelty of being the first SMT-related release in the US is what interests me. Wario Land I'd love to try too, and it was such a missed opportunity that the 3DS never got VB games on its virtual console (or a remake of this specific game).
^_^

Tasty

« Reply #782 on: March 29, 2021, 11:22:50 AM »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #783 on: March 29, 2021, 11:28:15 AM »
Yeah, Jack Bros is stupid

I only need (ordered by price):

- Jack Bros
- Waterworld
- Nester's Funky Bowling
- Virtual League Baseball

To have all US games

That said pretty much most VB games are shit
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #784 on: March 29, 2021, 12:13:25 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/p/5924

Jesus Christ :o

Wow, prices have only continued to go up- I sold mine for like $400 a few years ago.   Originally paid ten bucks for it.  Not the best game like demi said.
ど助平

Tuckers Law

« Reply #785 on: March 29, 2021, 03:59:13 PM »
I remember liking Wario Land.   Then again, I didn’t have to pay for that paperweight of a device since it was my friends, so that probably made it easier to enjoy the headache inducing reds of virtua boy.

Bebpo

« Reply #786 on: April 16, 2021, 02:43:55 AM »
How is playing DS games on an emulator given the whole split screen thing?

Since I'm on a SaGa kick, I was looking at the history of releases and saw I never picked up SaGa/FFL 2/3 remakes on DS that were Japan only. Not even sure if my DS works these days or if I'd want to play anything on actual DS hardware anymore. 3DS still nice, but DS kinda olddddddd.

Wonder if I should play them on an emulator if I ever want to give them a try.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #787 on: April 16, 2021, 03:10:43 AM »
The emulators just put the two screens on top of each other. If you need to tap you can click with your mouse. Kinda wonky sometimes for games where you use the stylus a lot, but if the game is just one that displays stuff on the second screen and you control normally then it's perfectly fine.

Svejk

« Reply #788 on: April 16, 2021, 07:42:04 AM »
Playing a DS emu (DraStic) on a Galaxy Note is the bees knees.  :rejoice

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #789 on: April 16, 2021, 10:07:58 AM »
How is playing DS games on an emulator given the whole split screen thing?

Since I'm on a SaGa kick, I was looking at the history of releases and saw I never picked up SaGa/FFL 2/3 remakes on DS that were Japan only. Not even sure if my DS works these days or if I'd want to play anything on actual DS hardware anymore. 3DS still nice, but DS kinda olddddddd.

Wonder if I should play them on an emulator if I ever want to give them a try.

You do know DS flash carts work on 3DS too? Just get a compatible DS flash cart

SaGa 2 translation -> https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1610/
SaGa 3 translation -> https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1705/
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #790 on: April 16, 2021, 02:44:07 PM »
Only the old 3DS plays carts, right?

I'm using the XL and I thought they removed DS cart BC.

*edit* Wait, they never removed DS BC? I wonder why I thought they did. Maybe I was thinking about GBA BC with DS?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #791 on: April 16, 2021, 04:08:06 PM »
Yes they removed GBA on the DSi + 3DS

You can play DS games just fine on 3DS

There are 3DS flashcarts, and DS flashcarts, which are compatible with 3DS depending on the flashcart (information easily available)
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #792 on: April 16, 2021, 04:58:49 PM »
I'll keep this in mind for the future, for now I'll probably just grab SaGa 2/3 used physical for my collection since now I know I can play them on my 3ds (don't mind playing them in Japanese, if I ever get to them).

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #793 on: April 21, 2021, 04:53:50 PM »
Super Potato is now on Ebay. The flood gates have opened or the barbarians are at the gate depending on which side of the argument you are on.

https://www.ebay.com/str/superpotatoretrogames?mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5336736927&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

https://twitter.com/SuperpotatoG/status/1384702266955821058
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 04:58:12 PM by Nintex »
🤴

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #794 on: April 22, 2021, 11:21:45 AM »
$20 shipping

:wut

Quaker

« Reply #795 on: April 22, 2021, 02:31:34 PM »
Super Potato has never been the place to go for good deals AFAIK but covid has/had screwed with international shipping from Japan for a while so the sellers/shippers I've followed have moved to DHL.

( https://www.sendico.com/covid )

It's more expensive but hardware can still be a good deal depending on the seller.

And the service was surprisingly good. I ordered something around November/December when domestic USPS mail was a total shitshow. It was like 3 days to go from Japan to Texas via DHL and in the same time period it took like 3 weeks for USPS Priority to deliver something from Texas to NYC.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #796 on: April 22, 2021, 02:57:03 PM »
DHL shipping from Japan is the GOAT.  Takes 2-3 days and if you sign up for a free account, they will text you with options like opting out of a required signature.  They've even called me before to tell me that they were there to drop something off and to ask if it was OK to leave it at the door.
:lawd
ど助平

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #797 on: April 24, 2021, 10:15:21 AM »
Have you gotten DHL shipments from individuals in Japan vs. companies? I tried signing up to ship this fucking Astro City stick to my friend and couldn't make it happen; it was giving me insane price quotes ($400) and requiring bizarro shipping codes.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #798 on: April 24, 2021, 10:17:54 AM »
BTW Super Potato is going to make a killing, they're absolutely the #1 tourist-friendly store. I prefer doing my mouth-breathing nerd shopping at less-known chains like Surugaya, but Super Potato's in-store stock is legitimately good at least in the Osaka locations. If you're looking for something specific and don't mind a markup they get the job done.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #799 on: April 24, 2021, 10:24:11 AM »
Have you gotten DHL shipments from individuals in Japan vs. companies? I tried signing up to ship this fucking Astro City stick to my friend and couldn't make it happen; it was giving me insane price quotes ($400) and requiring bizarro shipping codes.

Only companies.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #800 on: April 25, 2021, 01:01:24 PM »

Going through my collection on eBay for the higher-earners... all NTSC pre-owned with box:

Pokemon Pearl: $89.99
Pokemon SoulSilver (complete with Pokewalker): $299.91
Pokemon Platinum: $234.99 :o
Pokemon White: $100.00
Pokemon White 2: $149.99 :o
Dementium: The Ward: $94.95 (got my copy signed by Jools tho, never selling it :heart)
Dementium 2: $96.95 :o

The rest are ~$30 or less.

Fricking crazy... :crazy

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #801 on: April 25, 2021, 02:27:26 PM »
I was shocked to see how high the DS DQ games were going for. And I bought that one furry game that's apparently super rare and highly in demand (Solarobo I think).
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #802 on: April 25, 2021, 02:40:02 PM »
Yeah, the downside of buying JP versions of almost every JPN game through like PS4 or something when they started being dual-audio more regularly and release worldwide at the same time is that very few of my JP retro games have a ton of value, whereas the US versions of the same games are $$$$ because they had lower print runs and most of the collector fanbase is English speaking.

Not only did the JP versions cost like $20-30 more at release than the US versions, but now they're worth less!

I remember Radiant Silvergun (Saturn) and SMT3 Maniax (PS2) being of a couple of the rare JP games actually worth anything.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #803 on: April 25, 2021, 05:32:20 PM »
Even considering how easy it is to emulate AND pirate w/ flashcart, people are still willing to spend upwards of $200 on DS games

Nothing beats an original (tm)
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #804 on: April 25, 2021, 07:31:38 PM »
Yeah, the downside of buying JP versions of almost every JPN game through like PS4 or something when they started being dual-audio more regularly and release worldwide at the same time is that very few of my JP retro games have a ton of value, whereas the US versions of the same games are $$$$ because they had lower print runs and most of the collector fanbase is English speaking.

Not only did the JP versions cost like $20-30 more at release than the US versions, but now they're worth less!

I remember Radiant Silvergun (Saturn) and SMT3 Maniax (PS2) being of a couple of the rare JP games actually worth anything.

You'd be surprised, there are some games that are common as dirt in the US (such as Battletoads, Contra, Castlevania, and a lot of later Mega Drive games) whose Japanese versions are worth a lot of $$. Shmups both US and JP are usually pretty expensive. It's RPGs that are super cheap in Japan while extremely expensive in the US - the popularity and ubiquity of the genre in Japan compared to when it was niche back in the US, plus readability factors into it.

Radiant Silvergun surprisingly isn't worth that much more than it was back in the early 2000s. I remember paying close to $150 for it and that was like the most I've ever spent on a single game, up to that point. Now pricecharting has complete for $250, which hasn't accrued value nearly as much as some of the other Saturn heavy hitters. I speak as I take a break from Magic Knight Rayearth, which I bought for $65 back in 2001, now worth 10x as much.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #805 on: April 25, 2021, 07:46:38 PM »

You'd be surprised, there are some games that are common as dirt in the US (such as Battletoads, Contra, Castlevania, and a lot of later Mega Drive games) whose Japanese versions are worth a lot of $$. Shmups both US and JP are usually pretty expensive. It's RPGs that are super cheap in Japan while extremely expensive in the US - the popularity and ubiquity of the genre in Japan compared to when it was niche back in the US, plus readability factors into it.

Radiant Silvergun surprisingly isn't worth that much more than it was back in the early 2000s. I remember paying close to $150 for it and that was like the most I've ever spent on a single game, up to that point. Now pricecharting has complete for $250, which hasn't accrued value nearly as much as some of the other Saturn heavy hitters. I speak as I take a break from Magic Knight Rayearth, which I bought for $65 back in 2001, now worth 10x as much.

Yeah, but those beyond the era I used to collect. I've never had any interest in collecting games prior to disc-based media. I have like physical copies of the majority of the good Saturn/PS1/DC/GC/PS2/Xbox/Wii/GBA/DS/PSP Japanese releases, but only a dozen N64 games and I don't own a single NES/MD/NeoGeo game. I don't even own a NES/MD/Neo-Geo/PC Engine/SFC outside these new Mini versions. I only have hardware for N64 up.

It's fine, I'm not even a collector anymore and I just buy everything digital and don't care. Not like I'm ever gonna sell any of this stuff anyhow. But when I see people selling their collections for like $100/game for US versions and I have the JP version and it's worth like $5 I just feel  :'(

Even considering how easy it is to emulate AND pirate w/ flashcart, people are still willing to spend upwards of $200 on DS games

I feel like this is pretty much millennials starting to have comfortable income and collecting stuff, plus retro & nostalgia is always in and videogames are cool now.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #806 on: April 26, 2021, 08:15:52 AM »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #807 on: April 26, 2021, 10:37:47 AM »

Pokemon is a slightly special case since "hacked" Pokemon are frowned upon, leaving cartridges as the only "legitimate" solution for getting certain Pokemon or movesets. A lot of people in the Pokemon fanbase are OCD or OCD-adjacent.

If it wasn't possible to transfer Pokemon from the DS games all the way forward into the current generation, I don't think the prices would be as high.

But it works for me. :P

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #808 on: April 26, 2021, 11:32:55 AM »
The DS spike isnt just Pokemon, though

Even other platforms are stupid - PS1 prices are insane, and that's just as easy to emulate/pirate

fat

Sho Nuff

« Reply #809 on: April 26, 2021, 11:34:54 AM »
I'm stunned that Shantae is MVG's first shipped game, I assumed he was a fulltime dev and did all the crazy homebrew shit on the side.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #810 on: April 26, 2021, 11:37:15 AM »
I thought MVG worked with NightDive Studios who did those ports of Turok, Shadowman, etc
fat

Tasty

« Reply #811 on: April 26, 2021, 01:27:20 PM »
The DS spike isnt just Pokemon, though

Even other platforms are stupid - PS1 prices are insane, and that's just as easy to emulate/pirate

Not disagreeing, but with the tens of millions of copies each game shipped, you'd think there would be less demand than some of the indie darlings. If anything the Pokemon games are consistently bumped up. I've got some anecdotes, too.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #812 on: April 26, 2021, 01:32:01 PM »
I have a couple of rare DS games which have gone up in value quite a bit like Suikoden Tierkreis.  :success
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #813 on: April 26, 2021, 01:32:34 PM »
I thought Tetris DS would be super rare but apparently not. :goty2 IIRC it was only on the market a month before the license expired or something.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #814 on: April 26, 2021, 01:41:35 PM »
I thought Tetris DS would be super rare but apparently not. :goty2 IIRC it was only on the market a month before the license expired or something.
Yeah it doesn't make much sense.
Some very rare games are still cheap and some common games are very expensive.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #815 on: April 26, 2021, 03:29:13 PM »
Please point me in the direction of rare and or cheap and or must buy titles for the Nintendo DS

I sold my DS like a year after I got the import version, I had like Asphalt DS for it and Mario 64 DS.

It took such a long time before the DS ball really got going, and by that time I think I stepped over to a PSP+Lumines
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #816 on: April 26, 2021, 03:49:16 PM »
Just get a flashcart duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #817 on: April 26, 2021, 07:10:25 PM »
DS had a bunch of great games for its time. Not sure how well they hold up anymore.

For example Zelda Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were already weak entries on release relying heavily on the touch screen control gimmicks which were new at the time.
Kirby's Canvas Curse is probably my favorite 'touch' game and perhaps the best touch controlled game on the system.

GTA Chinatown Wars has been ported to a number of better systems. Metroid Prime Hunters was an impressive tech demo but a very repetitive game.
Square Enix released a bunch of great remakes and remasters like Chrono Trigger but since then a number of those titles have been remade again for other systems.

The Castlevania games are certainly worth it, Fire Emblem, Pokemon etc. but Nintendo was at this weird time in their history when they started to experiment with stuff like Nintendogs and New Super Mario Bros. while the GameCube was burning in the background.
It has a very dissapointing to 'sequel' to Yoshi's Island called  Yoshi's Island DS, a Golden Sun sequel that basically ended the franchise and the surprisingly good Metroid Prime Pinball. Two 2D Sonic's that were pretty awesome and a very dissapointing Sonic RPG by BioWare. It revisited both PlayStation 1 era 3D gaming and the very best of the SNES. Contra 4, a sequel to Okami, the best Tony Hawk game since Tony Hawk 2(?) and the worst Kingdom Hearts game all on the same system.  :doge

A rabbit hole that has no end or bounds, literally because the licensed Alice in Wonderland game is a hidden gem. Yes, you could even hit the lottery with licensed games.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #818 on: April 26, 2021, 08:59:45 PM »
So I tried SaGa 2/3 DS on 3DS XL (ewww), on 3DS regular (okay) and then I tried an emulator for the first time in 10+ years with a DS Emulator and HOLY FUCKING SHIT WHAT how does it take this mess of pixels and make clean looking detailed polygons with perfect IQ? This GPU scaling thing is fucking nuts.

Also bigger screen + smooth framerate, uhhh yeah fuck original hardware if I play any 3d DS games I'm gonna play them on my PC with an emulator. There's just no comparison even if I lose the portability side.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #819 on: April 26, 2021, 09:32:11 PM »
You can hold select/start while loading DS games to load them in the original ratio instead of being blown up on the 3DS
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #820 on: April 27, 2021, 12:51:06 AM »
You can hold select/start while loading DS games to load them in the original ratio instead of being blown up on the 3DS

Just tried this and wow, makes a big difference! 3d games don't look dithered af. Actually looks pretty decent. When I sit down to play a DS game will be tough to decide between that and emulator.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #821 on: April 27, 2021, 07:53:45 AM »
Just get a flashcart duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

I dont want a flashcart lol
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #822 on: April 28, 2021, 12:42:49 PM »
Here's a picture of an RZone and some games that I own. Featuring triple A IPs like Panzer Dragoon

fat

Sho Nuff

« Reply #823 on: April 29, 2021, 12:59:32 AM »
Just got a GDEmu for the Dreamcast, works a treat. Playing a bunch of Atomiswave games.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Almost all of them are incredibly bad
[close]

Also, Rent-a-Hero for Megadrive just got an English translation, FUCK YEAH

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #824 on: April 29, 2021, 01:07:02 AM »
RentAHero has had an english translation for a while,

but there is work on the Dreamcast version!

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=32314.0
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #825 on: May 01, 2021, 05:32:47 PM »
Was able to buy a boxed Ocarina of Time for €30 🥰

The best game ever made
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #826 on: May 21, 2021, 01:26:04 PM »
Is the Nintendo DS retro at this point?

Anyways, found a cheap copy of Last Window. The sequel to Hotel Dusk. So I got that.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #827 on: May 21, 2021, 02:34:08 PM »
3DS and 2DS play DS games, so basically yeah.

Edit:  derp, I misread and thought you were asking if there was a DS retro clone at this point.  But yes, I definitely consider DS to be retro.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 03:07:00 PM by Tuckers Law »

Quaker

« Reply #828 on: May 21, 2021, 02:39:45 PM »
Is the Nintendo DS retro at this point?

Anyways, found a cheap copy of Last Window. The sequel to Hotel Dusk. So I got that.
Yes.

(3DS is more than 10 years old so that's retro too now and GTA5 will be in...2 years.)

---

Short interview with collector of vintage Famicom bootleg carts. 

:lol @ some "authentic bootleg" collectors clutching their pearls at modern bootleg repros.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 02:14:08 PM by Quaker »

Sho Nuff

« Reply #829 on: May 22, 2021, 02:19:16 PM »
People who collect bootlegs are total loons, but who am I to judge?

Interesting video on PSX prices going through the fuckin roof:

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #830 on: May 23, 2021, 03:39:05 AM »
It's not just PS1 games
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #831 on: May 23, 2021, 06:52:20 AM »

:lol
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #832 on: May 23, 2021, 09:40:11 AM »
People who collect bootlegs are total loons, but who am I to judge?

Interesting video on PSX prices going through the fuckin roof:

That store looks excessively high, charging double (or more!) of what even the "ripoff" retro stores around here or the local Facebook group trying to pull one over on an unsuspecting gamer are charging. Literally last week I saw someone sell Parasite Eve for $80 for instance.

videogames.pricecharting.com has Suikoden 2 going for $320 CIB, not $500. I get stores have to make money but yeah...
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #833 on: May 23, 2021, 07:52:05 PM »
It's not just PS1 games

Yeah, just about everything is going way up. Dunno if it's widespread or not, but the local used game shop I go to has been picked clean of games for more recent systems [Gamecube, Wii, Xbox360, PS3].
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #834 on: May 23, 2021, 08:18:33 PM »
That store looks excessively high, charging double (or more!) of what even the "ripoff" retro stores around here or the local Facebook group trying to pull one over on an unsuspecting gamer are charging. Literally last week I saw someone sell Parasite Eve for $80 for instance.

videogames.pricecharting.com has Suikoden 2 going for $320 CIB, not $500. I get stores have to make money but yeah...

PriceCharting is a bad resource right now BECAUSE games are spiking up so fast

Quick search on eBay has Suikoden 2 ranging from 400-500 on average

Parasite Eve for $80 is about average as well going off a quick eBay search

fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #835 on: May 23, 2021, 11:14:44 PM »
Pretty much every retro game store I've visited in the last few months has had a weak PS1 or PS2 section, with the sought-after games going up in price. I know Koudleka for instance has always been rare, but rare use to mean like maybe $100. I've seen two copies in the Chicagoland area for $400. Something like Valkyrie Profile for like $550. It's pretty ridiculous and I don't see it changing right away either.

And a few years ago it wouldn't be insane to find a rare game for a decent price at these places, but now it's so easy for them to figure where the price is and like that video said, it would be dumb not to price them at that price. Also, people are clearly buying them.

Also, I rarely go to a store that has a good Vita or even PSP section.