Author Topic: Learning Music OT  (Read 12017 times)

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
I think even half an hour a day is enough, as Glen said earlier. As long as you do it every day and are patient with your own progress, anyone can absolutely start learning. I'm only 8 months into things but I see the sentiment echoed by musicians and teachers many years my senior.

Just play. (And practice every day.)
🕊

Cindi Mayweather

Four more hours with the guitar tonight. Loving this instrument. Itís so logical too, once you think of it. High E goes to F, G on first and third fret. Then second string is B, and the first and third fret are C, D. So youíve got B, C, D, E, F, G. Then youíve got G string which has A, completing the scale. Fourth string is D, so now youíve learned to play D in two separate ways and E in three different ways thanks to learning notes on the neck. And the best part is by knowing this you learn a scale and it doesnít seem random. Learning the neck and learning to transition from note to note is so gradual and natural that I have no idea why guitar teachers donít teach this out the gate. Guitar is a great, beautiful, logical instrument. You just seem to need to taught it properly to fully enjoy it, it seems.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:37:48 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
weed

Cindi Mayweather

Really falling for this instrument thanks to these series of books. My guitar and I are finally bonding and creating a relationship with one another.

Iíve added major and minor arpeggios to my practice session for something to work on besides the book.

Seeing myself get better every day is exhilarating.

Also that guy has the same guitar as me. :heartbeat Hello bb :3
weed

Cindi Mayweather

weed

Cindi Mayweather

I only have an electric guitar and it's thundering. I want to jam on my guitar but I'm quickly learning that you can't always play an electric. It can be conditional if you don't have power or there's certain weather conditions. For that reason I need to get an acoustic (preferably classical) so i can play guitar any time I want.
weed

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
You can't turn the volume on the amp down?

I guess I take the volume control on my keyboard for granted. :thinking
🕊

archnemesis

I have five guitars in my living room and I never bother with hooking up an electric one. Even when I'm playing death metal.

Cindi Mayweather

You can't turn the volume on the amp down?

I guess I take the volume control on my keyboard for granted. :thinking

No it's because in order to run an electric guitar to make sound you have to make it go through an amp, which is plugged into a socket/surge protector. That and thunder doesn't mix. Don't know if you'll have a black out and it'll fuck up your equipment  since it's all hooked up. Ya dig? So if itís storming, you donít want to jam on an electric guitar. You want an acoustic for that.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 04:53:06 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
weed

Cindi Mayweather

Iím conflicted on whether or not my next guitar should be classical or acoustic. I lean classical because Iíll be learning classical but theyíre so big and Iíll need that damn foot pedal to raise my foot to not hurt myself. Do they make small classical guitars than say, whatís in this video?

I see this video and it looks like a smaller guitar but Iím not sure if itís the guitar or the man.

Whatís going on here? Do classical guitars come in different sizes?
weed

archnemesis

Classical guitars are typically nylon stringed acoustic guitars and not particularly big. Large acoustic guitars tend to have steel strings.

Most string instruments can be bought in different sizes. Since you're an adult you want the standard size.

You're probably looking for a basic nylon stringed guitar with a standard sized body. As long as it feels nice and the neck is properly aligned so that you can get a tone from each fret then any model will do fine.

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
Resisting the urge to buy a new instrument is difficult.
🕊

Cindi Mayweather

I only have an electric guitar and it's thundering. I want to jam on my guitar but I'm quickly learning that you can't always play an electric. It can be conditional if you don't have power or there's certain weather conditions. For that reason I need to get an acoustic (preferably classical) so i can play guitar any time I want.

:mindblown

just play it unplugged, i do it all the time

seems like you're just making excuses to buy more guitars

Nah.

As a beginner this is bad because you don't know if you hit the note right since there's no real "sound" coming out. How do you know if you hit it right? This could easily lead to bad habits and poor sound articulation.

Also, I need a classical guitar anyways for my goals. I have a classical guitar book here. This was the plan all along. I'll be learning electric and classical concurrently.
weed

Cindi Mayweather

Whew.

Classical guitar is such a beautiful instrument.

Guitar as a whole may be the most beautiful instrument to me.

Also got this as per Puppy.

weed

Transhuman

if classical guitars are beautiful, electric guitars are sexy

Cindi Mayweather

Electric guitar is also beautiful.  :-[
weed

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
🕊

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
🕊

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Dufus once again living up to his name. :hhh
ὕβρις

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
Re: 🎼 Musicality 🎹 🎸 🥁 🎻 🎷
« Reply #198 on: July 26, 2019, 07:35:48 PM »
Had to skip a few weeks of lessons this month. :-\ But I've been practicing (not frequently enough, but still) and intend to get back on track next week. I'm anticipating August being a good month, and I can feel in my bones the rising desire to practice more. Sometimes those embers cool so it's encouraging when I feel them get stoked back up again. :D

I'm also solidifying my practice regimen more, giving it a bit more structure so I'm less likely to be at a "loss" of what to do when practicing -- a kind of "paralysis of choice" negatively biases me against hitting the keys. I'm also incorporating more hand exercises that my teacher turned me on to, and they're already improving things especially in my sinister hand.

Also here's a neat puff piece on concert pianist + Googler June Wu.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 07:51:44 PM by Tasty Meat »
🕊

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #199 on: July 29, 2019, 05:25:58 PM »

https://thehardtimes.net/music/band-caught-taking-performance-enhancing-lessons/

ďItís becoming increasingly common,Ē Dr. Woods added. ďSince so many established bands are doing it, up-and-coming musicians feel they need to as well just to level the playing field. Even beginners started taking lessons. So sad.Ē
🕊

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #200 on: August 05, 2019, 04:55:40 PM »
Updates:

Resumed lessons on Aug 1 (lesson #10.) Practiced a ton (for me) leading up to it, getting down pretty much all the songs I've gotten through so far in my book (including such smash-hits as Jingle Bells, Mozart's Nachtmusik, New World Symphony (as posted), and a few others.

We've moved onto to doing parallel/contrary thirds, so right now practicing Shepherd's Song from Beethoven's Symphony #6. It's a fun song. :) Last two weeks I've been practicing more than ever. :heartbeat

I also plan to participate in this month's piano jam on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/piano/comments/cmajv0/piano_jam_72_august_2019/

Pretty music~
🕊

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #201 on: August 09, 2019, 06:27:30 PM »

Keep the streak going 😤
🕊

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #202 on: August 11, 2019, 07:31:36 PM »
🕊

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Whew.

Classical guitar is such a beautiful instrument.

Guitar as a whole may be the most beautiful instrument to me.

Also got this as per Puppy.

(Image removed from quote.)
How's scott's book working out for you?
que

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2019, 09:34:50 AM »
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise, don't even start. This could mean losing girlfriends, wives, relatives and maybe even your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days. It could mean freezing on a park bench. It could mean jail. It could mean derision. It could mean mockery--isolation. Isolation is the gift. All the others are a test of your endurance, of how much you really want to do it. And, you'll do it, despite rejection and the worst odds. And it will be better than anything else you can imagine. If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is."

Bukowski's Factotum
🕊

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2019, 11:12:49 AM »
Reddit faux-inspirational quotes :rejoice
🕊

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #206 on: August 16, 2019, 01:40:58 PM »
We should all want to be like Bukowski, a miserable alcoholic toiling away at the post office. :doge
Hi

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2019, 07:26:43 PM »
Got some analysis paralysis on my keyboard purchase next month and could use some advice.

Yamaha P-125

+ Four speakers (two downward, two upward)
+ Less expensive (by about ~$100)
+ Newer (released last year)
- Plastic feel keys

Roland FP-30

+ Ivory feel keys
+ Better sound (based on Steinway Model D Grand vs. Yamaha's Concert Grand)
+ Has Bluetooth
- Two speakers (both downward)
- More expensive (by about ~$100)
- 5 lbs heavier

After being stuck with crappy plastic unweighted keys for what feels like forever, I'd really like to settle on something as close to the "real thing" as possible before I eventually (2-3 years down the road) get an upright hybrid. I've also listened to samples on YouTube, and the difference in sound is fairly noticeable on the low end; see ~15:50 here:

Edit- This is the older Yamaha P-115, not the updated P-125. Still a good demo of the two different approaches and samplings used by Yamaha and Roland.

With that said, the speaker setup on the FP-30 kinda blows by all accounts, and it's old enough that Roland could theoretically announce an updated version a week after purchase, which wouldn't feel great.

As I said this purchase is still a month away, so I'm planning on taking a trip to a local music store and trying both myself. However I'd still like input from any who can give it. I know either way it'll be more than enough for my next 2-3 years of development, but I also want to be confident of my expensive purchases.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 07:35:37 PM by Tasty Meat »
🕊

Transhuman

« Reply #208 on: August 18, 2019, 11:32:40 PM »
We should all want to be like Bukowski, a miserable alcoholic toiling away at the post office. :doge

And he liked sandwiches. He was a smart dude

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
🕊

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #210 on: August 23, 2019, 10:01:09 PM »
Here's how my lessons are going! (Btw have to be honest I don't know most of these composers or their songs! I'm hoping to deepen my classical background in the coming months and years. 8))

Lesson #11 on August 8th was doing simple arrangements of Surprise Symphony by Haydn, Hungarian Dance by Brahms, "Shepherd's Song." Key concepts introduced were staccato notes (actually difficult to integrate naturally for me at first, I want to let the notes finish haha), and crescendo/decrescendo. Also learned some exercises for parallel and uh, sequential(?) note playing across both hands (e.g. left hand finger 5 and right hand finger 1 playing their notes, then finger 4 and finger 2, etc.)

In Lesson #12, I moved on to Unit 6 of Adult Piano Adventures, and started playing eighth notes for the first time. I also learned about the fermata mark to play certain notes longer, and upbeats/downbeats which basically let songs start/end uniquely relative to normal measures. Songs learned include an arrangement of Jean-Philippe Rameau's French Minuet and Morning from Peer Gynt. I also took the opportunity to skip ahead one song to Happy Birthday, just cause it's my birthday (and my niece's, and my sister's) next month so it could be handy in a cheesy Hallmark-y way. :P

My homework heading into Lesson #13 was "English Folk Song" and an arrangement of George Frideric Handel's Gavotte, which I found really fun to learn and play! I was taught about inner ledger notes, and learned some exercises to start stretching my thumb, and even crossing my index finger over it! Wild stuff. My current homework is "Simple Gifts" and makes use of both thumb stretching and index crossing over. Figured this would come eventually and I'm glad it doesn't seem too hard so far! Also, learned some chords! Specifically C major and Csus4, which my teacher says this book is unique in introducing the latter this early, but I don't mind, it's a rad chord.

What's mostly hurting me right now is my wacky rhythm, but that tends to get straightened out with practice. Thankfully I've kept up and have only missed one day of practice since July 27th. :D Each day I've done at least 30 minutes, with some days being a bit more. I honestly never thought I'd keep up with it like this, me posting in this thread now is surprising to me too. All my other efforts to better myself or pursue any interest that required daily upkeep, even important ones, have bombed pretty hard. If I had to say why, maybe due to having pent-up interest in learning for 10+ years... I'm still really fired up, and enjoy playing every day.

I really, really can't wait to get a real keyboard.
🕊

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #211 on: August 24, 2019, 01:13:22 AM »

With financing I could get it...

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Resisting the urge to buy a new instrument is difficult.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Though I'm already buying one next month, either the Yamaha P-125 or Roland FP-30...
[close]
[close]
🕊

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #212 on: August 25, 2019, 06:31:07 PM »
Ugh now I can't choose between the Yamaha P-125 and the Casio Privia PX-S1000. By all accounts the Casio is the way better value with the better reviews, and more importantly key action, and it includes 2-3 battery power support. On the other hand the Yamaha has better speakers and I think sampling, among some other things I can't explain... ahhh...

So tempted to do financing/rent-to-own on an N1X... hybrids are the future. I fully expect them to represent 95% of piano sales within 50 years.

Also, 【new goal !】 By the end of 2020 I want to take an ABRSM exam! Because of how the exam schedule works out, I'll have to register this January for a May exam... So probably Grade 1 (will be consulting with my teacher and working with him on a regimen), and I have a lot of work to go before I can try passing that. Still, I want to get better, and I want to start having tangible goals. I'm no longer ignorant enough to try "learning outside the 'system'" and thinking I'm some kind of latent musical genius... Like all good shit in life, musical proficiency takes hard work and time.

And I'm totally on board. :D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 08:20:19 PM by Tasty Meat »
🕊

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #213 on: August 25, 2019, 08:19:27 PM »

I'm :lol-ing a bit at the model in these, but goddamn is that one sexy hybrid grand. :drool
🕊

Snoopycat_

« Reply #214 on: August 25, 2019, 08:44:56 PM »
Anyone use that Beatmaker 3 app? I bought myself a IPad last week so was lookin through the music apps to see if there was anything worth getting and that one stood out

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #215 on: August 27, 2019, 12:46:58 AM »
🕊

Mr Gilhaney

« Reply #216 on: August 30, 2019, 09:28:32 PM »
who of you is this

♿️

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #217 on: November 07, 2019, 08:08:36 PM »
December 10 marks one year since I picked up the keys. :rejoice

We goin' all the way, baby. :playa
🕊

Transhuman

« Reply #218 on: November 07, 2019, 10:36:55 PM »
I want to post in this thread but I have no confidence

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #219 on: November 07, 2019, 10:39:48 PM »
I want to post in this thread but I have no confidence

I'm legit still terrible so why not? :idont
🕊

shosta

• death to smoochy, starring robin williams and edward norton
« Reply #220 on: November 08, 2019, 01:41:46 AM »
Andy, your artistic ambition and confidence remind me a lot of Cindi (RIP). Keep it up!
每天生气

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #221 on: November 08, 2019, 09:54:33 AM »
Thanks! I've been surprised not at my progress necessarily, but my focus and attention. It's very rare I keep something up like this. :D

I worry about losing focus and letting myself lapse big-time at some point, but for now, I'm still as excited as when I started. Even learning how much work is ahead, I'm not daunted.
🕊

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
bla
« Reply #222 on: November 08, 2019, 12:23:17 PM »
You have very consistent handwriting. :obama

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #223 on: November 08, 2019, 12:48:52 PM »
Ahh, this is something I super need to get back on. :-[
Hi

Nintex

• CORPO
« Reply #224 on: November 08, 2019, 12:50:39 PM »
Some people play an instrument I play the orchestra
GAMER

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #225 on: November 08, 2019, 02:27:42 PM »
You have very consistent handwriting. :obama

Thanks? :P
🕊

Stro

• #SaturnSquad
« Reply #226 on: November 10, 2019, 08:24:52 PM »
Been a long time since I recorded anything

think it came out pretty solid considering both tracks were first take and it all came together in about 40 minutes. I've never been able to get the sound I want out of amp to PC or even with a microphone though :goty

shosta

« Reply #227 on: November 10, 2019, 11:26:29 PM »
Been a long time since I recorded anything

think it came out pretty solid considering both tracks were first take and it all came together in about 40 minutes. I've never been able to get the sound I want out of amp to PC or even with a microphone though :goty

I had no idea you were this talented.

Now agrajag has no excuse not to post some guitar material.
每天生气

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #228 on: December 29, 2019, 07:01:55 PM »
End of the year update!

This thread started as "Learning (or continuing to learn) an instrument in 2019" and my goal was the piano. I'd say this year was a huge success. Before making this post I planned on compiling a video of all the short pieces I've learned over the year, maybe will still do it.

My goal for 2020 is to take and pass an ABRSM piano exam, though it'll likely be Grade 1. Still, lots of fundamentals I need to learn before attempting even that!

But this year wasn't all great. There was a couple weeks over the summer I lapsed practicing, and November and December were similar disasters too. In the latter case, real life started to really fuck with me, and while I always thought the piano would be a refuge, trying to practice just reminded me how I can't afford a "real" keyboard yet, and I'm at the point in my learning where that's really becoming a hindrance.

Still, I bit the bullet and got a teacher in April, and while there's been some off-weeks I've been pretty good about attending my 45 min session every week. I really like my teacher and his methods are working very well for me. :) And while it's bummer not having 88 weighted keys or pedals, I don't see that situation lasting much longer.

🕊

Stro

• #SaturnSquad
« Reply #229 on: January 01, 2020, 04:08:51 PM »
Full guitar cover of one of the best songs from Chinese Democracy, Better. I think it turned out well. Used bass and drums from the Rock Band 2 stems, all guitar is me. Kind of a pain in the ass as there isn't an accurate tab for really any of the CD stuff and I think even the official CD tab book is full of errors, so  had to do it the old fashioned way over the years of just figuring it out by ear.

Robin Finck  :uguu

Stro

• #SaturnSquad
« Reply #230 on: January 03, 2020, 08:17:53 PM »
I really should be a better player having played over half my life at this point, and doing a cover of the entire Chinese Democracy album is something I've thought about doing for years since the backing tracks are all available, so I'm going to keep plugging away at these as a way to force myself to be a better player because even though I never took lessons and can't read music at all, I really should be a stronger player after almost 18 years of playing.

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #231 on: January 03, 2020, 08:50:23 PM »
I'm curious, do you see yourself as incapable of learning to read music at this point since you've played so long by ear, or is it more that you don't see much value in it because of your skill level?
🕊

Stro

• #SaturnSquad
« Reply #232 on: January 03, 2020, 09:10:02 PM »
I've tried off and on a few times to learn to read sheet music and it doesn't click with me so I say fuck it and just stick with tabs and chords and playing by ear. I'm not sure I'd really need to know how to read sheet music for guitar though, I guess.

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #233 on: January 03, 2020, 09:33:40 PM »
That's true, I guess if you know tabs that pretty much covers a lot of the same ground as sheet music for guitar.
🕊

Stro

• #SaturnSquad
« Reply #234 on: January 03, 2020, 09:42:04 PM »
Yeah. Regardless I'm pretty pleased with how those two turned out. Obviously some liberties need to be taken when it comes to Buckethead.

Stro

• #SaturnSquad
« Reply #235 on: January 04, 2020, 09:03:46 PM »

There literally isn't a tab for this online :rage

I probably should write down the rhythm for posterity in the event some weirdo also wants to play this song. 

Stro

• #SaturnSquad
« Reply #236 on: January 05, 2020, 10:03:24 PM »

Again no tabs for this online :rage and again I should tab out the rhythm myself but I won't :lol

shosta

« Reply #237 on: January 16, 2020, 01:59:02 AM »
It's so relaxing :aah love the change midway through.
每天生气

Stro

• #SaturnSquad

kingv

« Reply #239 on: February 21, 2020, 09:09:45 PM »
Made bops:

https://voca.ro/hkytq9yVwAL

https://vocaroo.com/hctCJmRnfE4

Edit: shosh didnít get a single anime reference and is not a true and loyal fan.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 09:48:44 PM by kingv »