Author Topic: Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate Starring RAMBO  (Read 39537 times)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate Starring RAMBO
« on: January 17, 2019, 02:31:21 PM »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 02:03:00 PM by bork »

nachobro

• Live Más
Re: MK 11
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 02:43:52 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 04:01:07 PM »
Yo I might get this

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 04:16:07 PM »

Evil Kitana and Liu Kang looking aight :o

Himu

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 04:25:24 PM »
this will be the first MK I buy since UMK3. I still don't understand how MK fighting works but it just seems to be set ups and reads rather than any neutral.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 04:41:12 PM »
Well how it works is you try to get kewl special moves off while your brother beats you by button mashing

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 05:01:38 PM »
and then you dive to the ground looking for the list of fatalities you printed off at the library before the FINISH HIM ends

Himu

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 06:19:09 PM »
Ok so here’s what I gleam from mk play based off this video.

1. Barely any neutral or footsies, at least in the traditional 2d fighter sense
2. zoning focus depending on the match up and if they want to but are very capable of going for the rushdown mostly to punish something
3. Movement is slow
4. Stages are big and pushback is not much of a threat. They would do entire block strings and weren’t moved an inch. How do you corner carry in MK then?
5. The question of “how do you control space?” seems entirely based around specials.

It seems really simplistic but has depth to it, so the simplicity isn’t bad in any way. Looks real traditional. I haven’t seen that much zoning in a modern Fighter since SFIV. I’m really impressed. Hopefully you can turn the special animations off or shorten them because I’m sick of seeing them already.

Tell me if I’m wrong in any way about what I’m seeing.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 06:24:42 PM »
Raiden can really control space. Dude can hit you diagonal, horizontal, still has that teleport. Not sure how he can control it vertically. A character like Baraka might be able to get into his face but Raiden vs Sonya seems like a bad match up for Blade. Bro even has mid-range moves! He’s got a great tool set.

Edit: omg his thunder can double and he can go left and then right for the mixup. What a fucking character.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 06:30:22 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 06:31:52 PM »
As expected, his limited ability to control space vertically is a weakness. A well placed jump in can murder him. He doesn’t seem to have a reversal either either. Time to die, thunder god. :snob
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 06:34:11 PM »
This game looks dope. Day one.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 06:34:24 PM »
this game looks a lot slower than MKX cause no running. reminds me a bit more of injustice 2

Himu

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 06:36:51 PM »
Ah so they took running out.

I want another explanation of its just defense system. Frame perfect blocking?
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 06:45:30 PM »
Perfect Block is blocking withing 3 frames of an attack, seems to grant some sort of advantage to moves to make them faster and you don't take chip damage (in MK all moves do chip, even normals). This advantage property seems to last through the entire combo after the Perfect Block so it can lead to some cool shit.

other mechanics, stolen from reddit

Fatal Blows: basically xrays you get after your health drops to a certain point and you’d be dumb not to use because you get one each match and they’re armored, it refills if whiffed or blocked. This is gonna get old quick in tournaments

Meter: split into attack and defense bars and it refills over time so it’s not tied to using special moves or blocking. Cool down meter

Crushing Blows: like lethal hits in SC6 and are moves that get enhanced under certain conditions. They have an X-ray cinematic when performed and can only be performed once per match

Movement: running is gone. Can cancel dashes with attacks and blocking. Short hops are new and crush low attacks and throw and lead to attacks.

Wake up attacks: no more special attacks but moves that are unique to each character. Got an invincible wake up attack for each character and an anti air wake up move that’s not invincible. Also a roll that’s fully invincible, takes up defensive meter but you can be thrown out of it.

Throws: same as MKX. Gotta guess left or right on throws and some which sucks dick

General: variations are back, no first hit meter, gear system is back, interactables are back and you can spend attack and defense meter to add armor, lower emphasis on 50/50s and long combos

Sucks that 50/50 throw techs are back, I hate those.

Himu

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 06:50:32 PM »
That sounds dope.

Explain the throw tech? There’s no universal throw escape input?
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 06:56:02 PM »
nope. you gotta tech forward/backward with punch/kick. you can crouch them if you don't block at the same time too.

Himu

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 06:56:32 PM »
That’s wack.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 06:58:07 PM »
very wack. i was hoping they wouldn't return as IJ2 had universal throw tech

Himu

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 07:07:21 PM »

I’m surprised Baraka doesn’t have a slide.

Sonya has a fake fireball movement. :heh
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 09:47:43 AM »

Himu

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 09:51:22 AM »
Smaller arenas?!

The arenas I saw in the videos were massive. In the games I play, you can be in the corner like that but MK11 barely has any pushback which isn’t bad. Also didn’t see much footsies but plenty of zoning. Good shit though.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2019, 09:53:37 AM »
compared to previous games those are smaller stages, its crazy :lol i played injustice 2 on my ultrawide monitor and the stage would fill up the whole thing AND still scroll. i think the way the game is designed right now you will see more footsies play but that was an event where people were still trying to play the game like older MK games. the game is slowed down but in the end i think that will be a benefit, especially if their lines about focusing on shorter strings stays true.

no run plus stuff like the wakeup invincible roll (similar to kof), short hops (also kof), offense/defense meters being separated, and wakeup aa are going to drastically change how MK plays. not to mention the mindgames coming from stuff like Fatal Blow being a "once per match" mechanic. this is definitely going to be the most unique MK ever in the gameplay department.

also worth noting is that MK has big stages cause many specials (and some normals) move the character forward. so as an attacker you are always encroaching on someone's territory just by doing an attack.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:03:34 AM by nachobro »

Himu

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 10:09:01 AM »
It has wakeup AA?

This could very well be the biggest traditional fighter on the market since SFIV.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 10:21:45 AM »
What system you getting it for? Shit station 4? (I only say this because fighting games are ass on the system)
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 10:24:52 AM »
probably, since i'll need to run local events

Himu

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 10:26:22 AM »
Sigh.

Let’s hope the network code is great.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 10:28:30 AM »
that's the one thing i'm not worried about. MKX original netcode wasn't great but then they revamped it with GGPO for MKXL and it was damn near perfect, same for Injustice 2. They've got 2nd best netcode in fighting games imo (first being KI).

Himu

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2019, 10:30:17 AM »
:obama

Game sounds better and better. Day one.

When are they going to reveal all the characters?
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2019, 10:34:23 AM »
they love a tease so it'll probably be semi-steady drip of info for the next couple months

Himu

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2019, 10:41:25 AM »
Really impressed by Scarlet’s zoning mixup. Am I going to go high? Low? Mid? I think I saw a fake in there.

With so many zoners I wanna play rushdown. Rushdown in a zone heavy game is bliss.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2019, 10:46:53 AM »
yeah high/low mixup was important before but even more so with this new system, it's very cool. and the other good part is most characters have a well rounded moveset, especially with variations. so you have more flexibility on how you play based on that.

Himu

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2019, 10:49:51 AM »
I noticed that most have a mid-range, short-range, and long-range moveset. They aren’t one dimensional. Cool shit.

Can scarlet walk forward after her projectile? After all, it often moves along the ground. It looks like theoretically you could go full Guile or Chun here. But since it’s not in my hands hard to test out.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2019, 10:54:00 AM »
she couldn't in MK9 but who knows at this point (iirc it was forward, down, back, punch so that made it a pain). they brought back dash block/dash attack cancels from IJ2 so i'm curious if you can cancel dash into a special

Himu

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2019, 10:57:56 AM »
I looked at her recovery it looks like she could possibly move after a projectile. But that’s just looking from the outside.

Scarlet vs Geras is my favorite exhibition match. Geras has insane corner carry. I think he’s got a command grab that pushes you almost half the screen. That can’t possibly be a regular throw. That boy is dangerous.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2019, 10:59:33 AM »
i didnt see that one, got a link? geras sounds wild, i was hearing he can speed up and slow down the actual match timer with some moves which is insane

Himu

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2019, 11:00:56 AM »

Has ads so use ad block. It’s a good set.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2019, 11:05:10 AM »
Scarlet has a solid meaty combo. Looks like there’s three hits. Last hit is hugely negative in frames. Very punishable. First but could work as a nice pressure meaty. She’s also got mid-range options.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2019, 11:09:15 AM »
Yo this does very much have footsies. Skarlet did a low whiff then punished with a high. Very legit set that shows the full potential of the game.

Check 21:25
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2019, 11:28:59 AM »
I just realized they removed all of Skarlet's self-damage. i'm liking that for sure :lol

Himu

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2019, 11:31:36 AM »
Self damage?
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2019, 11:38:58 AM »
In MK9 she stabbed herself to make her blood ball projectile and it did some damage to her. IIRC she also took damage on moves out of her command dash

Himu

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2019, 12:12:44 PM »
Geras knee looks like a good meaty. Don't know if it's special cancellable.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2019, 02:03:35 PM »
Looks like they're recycling animations from previous games again.  Looks kinda stiff.

Expecting to buy this and mess with it for a bit before it ultimately gets shelved and I go back to the better Japanese games.
:idont

I just realized they removed all of Skarlet's self-damage. i'm liking that for sure :lol

Removed self-damage

Added clothing

:thinking

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2019, 02:41:06 PM »
The animations are lame but the tools are cool.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2019, 02:43:50 PM »
Removed self-damage

Added clothing

:thinking
i wouldn't be shocked to see her old costume in the customization pieces. the russia only costume is pretty sick and i'm jealous

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2019, 03:09:38 PM »
Are they going to loot box this shit up like with Injustice 2?   :-\
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2019, 03:16:43 PM »
most likely but that's not so bad. i never paid a cent in and got damn near infinite costume pieces

Himu

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2019, 03:18:55 PM »
That SKarlet costume is incredible. :o
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2019, 03:20:47 PM »
i bet they'll also add in the one button fatalities DLC tokens again. those things had to have brought in a truckload of cash for X

Himu

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2019, 06:13:36 PM »
Casuals will eat it up. They don’t give a fuck about mechanics as much. They care about what characters will be in the game and story. Which is completely legit. Dumbing down fighters doesn’t work to bring in casuals don’t give a fuck about mechanics, spacing, footsies, zoning, neutral, and fundamentals of fighters. Dumbing down just pisses off more dedicated players while the casuals get their cake. Max is 100% correct.

Comparing game footage between MKX which is utterly chaotic and aggressive, to MKXI, is so telling. A few weeks ago I checked out vids of MKX so I could maybe give it a chance before 11 and it just didn’t tickle anything on my fighting game spirit. But 11! :gladbron
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2019, 07:11:04 PM »
I feel like the "walk back til meter recharges" worry could be alleviated by just giving a Negative Penalty like Blazblue does and have it reduce meter regen when moving backwards.

However I do agree with Max that Amplify is wack and they should bring back the meter burn button. But supposedly that's already in consideration based on some Boon interview stuff that was going around.

Himu

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2019, 07:39:42 PM »
I think most of all, there shouldn’t be a penalty by being in neutral like XRD. Being penalized for waiting it out to punish is lame game design.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2019, 08:34:08 PM »
I disagree- some "dumbing down" is good thing.  I don't miss the older games that had crazy input motions for special moves that were prevalent in the 90s and early 00s, for example.  Not that this was ever a problem in Mortal Kombat.

Now, if you're talking about more intricate features in regards to game play, then yeah- agreed, because joe average player doesn't know or care what that shit is and it won't affect his enjoyment of the game beyond going online and getting pissed after someone with an ounce of skill stomps all over him.  Most of the people who buy this game will probably go through the story stuff, do some light online, play with their buddies...and that's it.  I'm sure this game will sell truckloads of copies no matter how big the FGC crowd is for it.
ど助平

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2019, 08:57:40 PM »
https://twitter.com/BolverkGTM/status/1086436741463068672

ed boon securing the fgc nerd bag this go around, mortal kombat forever

Himu

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2019, 09:02:34 PM »
I disagree- some "dumbing down" is good thing.  I don't miss the older games that had crazy input motions for special moves that were prevalent in the 90s and early 00s, for example.  Not that this was ever a problem in Mortal Kombat.

Disagree. The dumbing down and making more "simple" inputs leads to input errors. For example, SFIV. You would input a hadoken and could get a dp because of the shortcuts. Essentially, shortcuts made the game even harder. In any case, no one is talking about inputs but depth and options for self expression.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2019, 10:03:34 PM »
Prepping for MK11 lmao. I'm sure MK9 plays nothing like 11, but hey, whatever.  :doge

I like this game. :obama

Now that my SF elitism is shot and I'm playing every fighting game under the sun now I quite like this. Doesn't feel as bad as it used to be me. Especially with a stick. JLF da gawd.

Also

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2019, 10:48:27 PM »
My only issue with MK9 is the controls are made for controllers in mind. I’ve got an arcade stick here and want to play with one and here you are making special moves input RT and Y or RT and A. I ain’t playing a fighting game with a pad either.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2019, 03:08:01 AM »
i play mk and injustice with a pad like a bum :lol

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2019, 05:33:06 AM »
i wouldn't be shocked to see her old costume in the customization pieces. the russia only costume is pretty sick and i'm jealous

(Image removed from quote.)
yikes, first Ronda Rousey forcing Sonya's voice overs to talk about Sandy Hook conspiracies, now pandering to Russia, the home of GamerGate?!?