Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8, we can finally stop waiting on GURM  (Read 109944 times)

BisMarckie

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8, we can finally stop waiting on GURM
« Reply #1500 on: May 20, 2019, 05:55:46 PM »
King‘s Landing was an inside job to help the struggling construction and land development businesses.

Himu

« Reply #1501 on: May 20, 2019, 06:01:05 PM »

Nice touch
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1502 on: May 20, 2019, 06:03:00 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1503 on: May 20, 2019, 06:05:14 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1504 on: May 20, 2019, 06:27:33 PM »

- In the exciting scene where Bran unexpectedly turns King they placed him in the middle of the group. Already in the position of the King.
- Bran says to Tyrion at Winterfell: "I can't be a lord of anything I'm the 3 eyed raven now" in Kings Landing he says: "Why do you think I came all the way here?"
- Grey Worm leaves the 7 Kingdoms forever. Thus Jon didn't have to be exiled. Grey Worm wouldn't have known if Jon came back.
- Sansa is crowned Queen of the North. Yet Bran has no crown.

🤴

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #1505 on: May 20, 2019, 07:23:20 PM »
Guys, the North is not part of the 6 Kingdoms.

In name only.
Kara, please tell this ignoramus about the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. ::)

Lol I immediately thought of the Commonwealth when they proposed an elective monarchy. Tyrion's going to look like a real idiot when Braavos and the North partition the six kingdoms between them

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Himu

« Reply #1507 on: May 20, 2019, 07:33:56 PM »
Seeing plenty of “sorry that your dragon show sucked” memes around. I hate implication that a story sucks if it has dragons in it. :(
IYKYK

Tasty

agrajag

« Reply #1509 on: May 20, 2019, 07:39:38 PM »
the Free Cities looking at all these continental idiots and their stupid wars like

:neogaf :confused

Are they going to install ramps all over King's Landing?

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1510 on: May 20, 2019, 07:44:11 PM »
Seeing plenty of “sorry that your dragon show sucked” memes around. I hate implication that a story sucks if it has dragons in it. :(

Drop some facts and logic on them and bring up a little piece of art called Dragon Ball. :hmph

agrajag

« Reply #1511 on: May 20, 2019, 07:47:35 PM »
a video from 3 weeks ago that predicted Bran being the king

not going to give it too much credit because there are only so many options, but still somewhat impressive that one of the stupid fan theories got it right.

fake edit: he even got the melting of the chair right. I'm calling shenanigans, this fucker must've read the spoilers.

Himu

« Reply #1512 on: May 20, 2019, 07:48:20 PM »

Drop some facts and logic on them and bring up a little piece of art called Dragon Ball. :hmph

Tbh the people bitching about people talking GoT - the most popular show on tv that has gone to inspire an entire generation of tv writing - are probably the most annoying. “I don’t watch GoT”. Okay. :goty2
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #1513 on: May 20, 2019, 07:50:14 PM »
Mike Portnoy (formerly of Dream Theater) wrote the most "leave D&D alone  :crybaby " MMaRsu type blogpost

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1514 on: May 20, 2019, 07:52:56 PM »
Finale was meh. Show ended up being ok-good. First 4 seasons were great, 5 and 6 were good, 7 had good moments, and 8... 8 was a thing that happened.
yar

Himu

« Reply #1515 on: May 20, 2019, 08:02:57 PM »
Kara you're forgetting Puff the Magic Dragon too :tocry
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1516 on: May 20, 2019, 08:17:01 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

- In the exciting scene where Bran unexpectedly turns King they placed him in the middle of the group. Already in the position of the King.
- Bran says to Tyrion at Winterfell: "I can't be a lord of anything I'm the 3 eyed raven now" in Kings Landing he says: "Why do you think I came all the way here?"
- Grey Worm leaves the 7 Kingdoms forever. Thus Jon didn't have to be exiled. Grey Worm wouldn't have known if Jon came back.
- Sansa is crowned Queen of the North. Yet Bran has no crown.
>Start post with proof of Grey Worm's teleporting abilities.
>"Lol, Grey Worm couldn't have known!"

:beli
-
Just saw it, anyway.
Shosta's spoiler all in all wasn't that bad, 'cause the moment wasn't really played like a big twist in the first place, and i'm fine with how things ended in general.
Writing has been shit for a while, as we've said plenty, it's not like some of the shit in here stood out.

So again, i'm fine with most of it, even though King Bran's election scene was clearly the low point, and really reaching "Sand Snakes" level of atrociousness (lol the North will remain independent cause we fought a lot!  :doge :doge :doge).

I liked Daenerys' psycho speech to Jon, even though it felt like she stopped taking her meds all of a sudden, but in her Sith-Lady attire she was hot af, so i'm cool with that.

Everything else was kind of "whatever" all around, really nothing that will stick in my memory in a month's time.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #1517 on: May 20, 2019, 08:22:08 PM »
bit wank wasn't it?

first half was good, then it turns into game of thrones family holiday special with guest appearances from all your favourite characters. plucked straight from dr branhattan's self insert head canon.

was nice seeing tobias menzies again though. he's been AWOL since the red wedding which is a shame because he's probably best remaining actor on the show.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #1518 on: May 20, 2019, 08:29:35 PM »
two seasons of ramping up the throttle on dany's authoritarianism vs. a duplicitous scheming sansa could've been great. instead we get a WCW heel turn from benevolent to hitler and sansa just sort of floating around doing mostly fuck all except looking stoic.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #1519 on: May 20, 2019, 08:32:00 PM »
glad arya fulfilled her 8 season dream to be a pirate though.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1520 on: May 20, 2019, 08:36:05 PM »
Also Drogon sleeping under the snow was real cool shit.

agrajag

« Reply #1521 on: May 20, 2019, 08:46:34 PM »
Danny the type of Khaleesee to get a dog and name it Dag
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:06:37 PM by agrajag »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1522 on: May 20, 2019, 08:58:42 PM »
child bride names pet after her rapist :doge

agrajag

« Reply #1523 on: May 20, 2019, 09:07:10 PM »
Dany the type of Khaleesee to get a dog and name it Khal Doggo

Himu

« Reply #1524 on: May 20, 2019, 09:07:35 PM »
Rhaegal - Rhaegar
Viserion - Viserys
Drogon - Drogo

:beli
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1525 on: May 20, 2019, 09:23:56 PM »

Himu

« Reply #1526 on: May 20, 2019, 09:27:02 PM »
The Blacks Watch.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1527 on: May 20, 2019, 09:28:11 PM »

Well they kinda do. :trumps

LotR? No dragons. Sucked.
Hobbit? Had a Dragon, was killed. Ruled.

...Wait, that's kinda making your point...

OH WAIT!

Magic: the Gathering: Big Bad is a Celestial Dragon. Lore Sucks post-Mending.

:trumps Checkmate, Atheists.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1529 on: May 20, 2019, 10:03:29 PM »
Kara you're forgetting Puff the Magic Dragon too :tocry

I have a lot of gaps in my knowledge when it comes to kids movies / TV. That also works!

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #1531 on: May 20, 2019, 10:06:51 PM »
Finale was meh. Show ended up being ok-good. First 4 seasons were great, 5 and 6 were good, 7 had good moments, and 8... 8 was a thing that happened.
this is my thought as well. I'm laying all the Shit stuff on grrm not having any idea how anyone was going to get to the ending.
vin

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1532 on: May 20, 2019, 10:12:39 PM »

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #1533 on: May 20, 2019, 10:44:29 PM »
man, I'm with agrajag now. khaleesi's story was fucked good. jon snow's story was fucked good. winter was fucked good. I know this isn't really high fantasy but years ago I was looking forward to the Azor Ahai resurrection / REAL Lightbringer prophecy culminating with Jon Snow's heroic arc and Daenerys' justice arc.

Maybe Jon Snow is supposed to kill Daenerys - but how about as the ultimate sacrifice to bring out Lightbringer's power to defeat the Night King, like in the legend? Maybe King's Landing was supposed to be destroyed, like in Dany's vision - but how about not retconning snow into ash, and letting the Night King kill Cersei instead? Take every lesson from the story and make it add up to something.
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #1534 on: May 20, 2019, 10:57:17 PM »

agrajag

« Reply #1535 on: May 20, 2019, 11:02:29 PM »

Himu

IYKYK

bluemax

« Reply #1537 on: May 21, 2019, 12:16:16 AM »
For all you nerds who also read the books, how much does the plot differ? And why is GRRM so fucking lazy?

Did you not see the list of a dozen unresolved plot threads that didn't even show up in the tv show? If you wrote that many Shaggy Dog (see what I did there) storylines in your trilogy that is now at least 7 books long, wouldn't you give up as well?
NO

El Babua

« Reply #1538 on: May 21, 2019, 12:41:18 AM »
GRRM being nice and thanking everyone

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/20/an-ending/

There was a rumor a couple months back about GRRM working with Fromsoft. Guess it's true :rejoice

thisismyusername

« Reply #1539 on: May 21, 2019, 12:44:27 AM »

There was a rumor a couple months back about GRRM working with Fromsoft. Guess it's true :rejoice

Lot of words about nothing:

And I’m writing.   Winter is coming, I told you, long ago… and so it is.   THE WINDS OF WINTER is very late, I know, I know, but it will be done.  I won’t say when, I’ve tried that before, only to burn you all and jinx myself… but I will finish it, and then will come A DREAM OF SPRING.

How will it all end? I hear people asking.   The same ending as the show?  Different?

Well… yes.  And no.  And yes.   And no.   And yes.   And no.   And yes.

I am working in a very different medium than David and Dan, never forget.   They had eight hours for this final season.   I expect these last two books of mine will fill 3000 manuscript pages between them before I’m done… and if more pages and chapters and scenes are needed, I’ll add them.   And of course the butterfly effect will be at work as well; those of you who follow this Not A Blog will know that I’ve been talking about that since season one.   There are characters who never made it onto the screen at all, and others who died in the show but still live in the books… so if nothing else, the readers will learn what happened to Jeyne Poole, Lady Stoneheart, Penny and her pig, Skahaz Shavepate, Arianne Martell, Darkstar, Victarion Greyjoy, Ser Garlan the Gallant, Aegon VI, and a myriad of other characters both great and small that viewers of the show never had the chance to meet.   And yes, there will be unicorns… of a sort…

Fucker will die before the series is done. lmao.

Also double lmao at learning about the pilot that was SO FUCKING BAD that it's not the actual first episode.

El Babua

« Reply #1540 on: May 21, 2019, 12:45:24 AM »
Yo, who cares about Winds - imagine a Sekiro swordplay game with fucking KNIGHTS and shit!

Himu

« Reply #1541 on: May 21, 2019, 01:38:22 AM »
Nah I want an rpg.

So happy for George. The guy has made the most popular fantasy story in the modern world besides LotR. He should be proud.
IYKYK

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1542 on: May 21, 2019, 01:53:27 AM »

To be fair in Ep.5 it was a black dude murdering people who had surrendered :ohyou

Bebpo

« Reply #1543 on: May 21, 2019, 02:22:36 AM »
The fromsoft thing being real is so fucking bizarre. Now I’m pretty curious about it. Some people are saying it’s a Dark Souls game set in ASOIAF which would be kinda crazy.

bluemax

« Reply #1544 on: May 21, 2019, 02:38:26 AM »

Lot of words about nothing:

And I’m writing.   Winter is coming, I told you, long ago… and so it is.   THE WINDS OF WINTER is very late, I know, I know, but it will be done.  I won’t say when, I’ve tried that before, only to burn you all and jinx myself… but I will finish it, and then will come A DREAM OF SPRING.

How will it all end? I hear people asking.   The same ending as the show?  Different?

Well… yes.  And no.  And yes.   And no.   And yes.   And no.   And yes.

I am working in a very different medium than David and Dan, never forget.   They had eight hours for this final season.   I expect these last two books of mine will fill 3000 manuscript pages between them before I’m done… and if more pages and chapters and scenes are needed, I’ll add them.   And of course the butterfly effect will be at work as well; those of you who follow this Not A Blog will know that I’ve been talking about that since season one.   There are characters who never made it onto the screen at all, and others who died in the show but still live in the books… so if nothing else, the readers will learn what happened to Jeyne Poole, Lady Stoneheart, Penny and her pig, Skahaz Shavepate, Arianne Martell, Darkstar, Victarion Greyjoy, Ser Garlan the Gallant, Aegon VI, and a myriad of other characters both great and small that viewers of the show never had the chance to meet.   And yes, there will be unicorns… of a sort…

Fucker will die before the series is done. lmao.

Also double lmao at learning about the pilot that was SO FUCKING BAD that it's not the actual first episode.

I enjoy that he lists out a bunch of the pointless characters that the TV show dispensed with.
NO

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1545 on: May 21, 2019, 05:07:51 AM »
Yo, who cares about Winds - imagine a Sekiro swordplay game with fucking KNIGHTS and shit!

:thinking

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Souls style feels like a natural fit with the more enigmatic parts of GoT. The Faceless men, the magic of the Night King, the Three Eyed Raven. The desolation of the North. But it already had Knights and Dragons and great swordplay. I don't really care either way, would prob lean towards them doing their own thing since it still feels like they have a lot of room to explore. But eh, if this affords them a bigger budget to do a Hollywood production, fuck it. The shitstorm about difficulty settings (fucked if they do, fucked if they don't) will be glorious.
◕‿◕

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1546 on: May 21, 2019, 07:26:46 AM »
From Soft already had 4 European fantasy ARPGs, can't say a slightly different flavor in the items text would excite me at all.

thisismyusername

« Reply #1547 on: May 21, 2019, 08:25:26 AM »
Spoilered in case Riotious wigs out
[close]

Himu

« Reply #1548 on: May 21, 2019, 08:39:15 AM »
As much as I had issues with game of thrones I’m really fucking sad it’s over now. Holy God I’m gonna be a mess when I beat Shenmue III.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1549 on: May 21, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »
As much as I had issues with game of thrones I’m really fucking sad it’s over now. Holy God I’m gonna be a mess when I beat Shenmue III.
You really think S3 will finish the story?

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1550 on: May 21, 2019, 11:03:20 AM »
©ZH

agrajag

« Reply #1551 on: May 21, 2019, 11:03:55 AM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1552 on: May 21, 2019, 11:07:38 AM »

Can't believe we're finally getting that My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute videogame adaptation!
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #1553 on: May 21, 2019, 11:09:10 AM »

Never said that would.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1554 on: May 21, 2019, 11:24:13 AM »

Never said that would.
Wait, so what was the correlation with GoT ending?  ???

Himu

« Reply #1555 on: May 21, 2019, 11:31:47 AM »
Waiting for something for years.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #1556 on: May 21, 2019, 12:42:50 PM »

Himu

« Reply #1557 on: May 21, 2019, 12:49:42 PM »
https://twitter.com/cindtrillella/status/1130297061717544961

This thread is hilarious. Must read. She tears the series apart lmao
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 12:55:23 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #1558 on: May 21, 2019, 01:02:55 PM »
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/game-thrones-season-8-finale-bran-daenerys-cersei-jon-snow-zizek-revolution-a8923371.html

Quote from: Daddy Z
This is why the battles in season eight follow a logical path from an external opposition to the inner split: the defeat of the inhuman Night Army, the defeat of Lannisters and the destruction of King’s Landing; the last struggle between the Starks and Daenerys – ultimately between traditional “good” nobility (Starks) faithfully protecting their subjects from bad tyrants, and Daenerys as a new type of a strong leader, a kind of progressive bonapartist acting on behalf of the underprivileged.

The stakes in the final conflict are thus: should the revolt against tyranny be just a fight for the return of the old kinder version of the same hierarchical order, or should it develop into the search for a new order that is needed?

The finale combines the rejection of a radical change with an old anti-feminist motif at work in Wagner. For Wagner, there is nothing more disgusting than a woman who intervenes in political life, driven by the desire for power. In contrast to male ambition, a woman wants power in order to promote her own narrow family interests or, even worse, her personal caprice, incapable as she is of perceiving the universal dimension of state politics.

But – let’s bite our sour apple now – what about Daenerys’ murderous outbursts? Can the ruthless killing of the thousands of ordinary people in King’s Landing really be justified as a necessary step to universal freedom? At this point, we should remember that the scenario was written by two men.

Daenerys as the Mad Queen is strictly a male fantasy, so the critics were right when they pointed out that her descent into madness was psychologically not justified. The view of Daenerys with mad-furious expression flying on a dragon and burning houses and people expresses patriarchal ideology with its fear of a strong political woman.

The final destiny of the leading women in Game of Thrones fits these coordinates. Even if the good Daenerys wins and destroys the bad Cersei, power corrupts her. Arya (who saved them all by single-handedly killing the Night King) also disappears, sailing to the West of the West (as if to colonise America).

The one who remains (as the queen of the autonomous kingdom of the North) is Sansa, a type of women beloved by today’s capitalism: she combines feminine softness and understanding with a good dose of intrigue, and thus fully fits the new power relations. This marginalisation of women is a key moment of the general liberal-conservative lesson of the finale: revolutions have to go wrong, they bring new tyranny, or, as Jon put it to Daenerys:

“The people who follow you know that you made something impossible happen. Maybe that helps them believe that you can make other impossible things happen: build a world that’s different from the shit one they’ve always known. But if you use dragons to melt castles and burn cities, you’re no different.”

So justice prevailed – but what kind of justice? The new king is Bran: crippled, all-knowing, who wants nothing – with the evocation of the insipid wisdom that the best rulers are those who do not want power. A dismissive laughter that ensues when one of the new elite proposes a more democratic selection of the king tells it all.

And one cannot help but note that those faithful to Daenerys to the end are more diverse – her military commander is black – while the new rulers are clearly white Nordic. The radical queen who wanted more freedom for everyone irrespective of their social standing and race is eliminated, things are brought back to normal.

:lawd

I need an audio version of this, with the snorts and sniffles.

Now we need Daddy P's analysis.

"Daenerys represents the chaos dragon which is a manifestation of the female energy. The eunich represents the futility of the modern feminist man trying to conform to the subversion of heteronormative Western values.  Mhhhmm, right. And it makes sense that the masculine king sits on the throne and the mad witch gets stabbed in the chest."

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1559 on: May 21, 2019, 01:05:36 PM »
Daenerys as the Mad Queen is strictly a male fantasy, so the critics were right when they pointed out that her descent into madness was psychologically not justified. The view of Daenerys with mad-furious expression flying on a dragon and burning houses and people expresses patriarchal ideology with its fear of a strong political woman.

Oh my god..not this shit too

:lol

What