Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8, we can finally stop waiting on GURM  (Read 106450 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8, we can finally stop waiting on GURM
« Reply #1740 on: May 26, 2019, 08:05:49 AM »

These two are really good together.

One look at Nikolai's hideous wife.. *shudder* why are these two not a couple instead  :lol

What

agrajag

« Reply #1741 on: May 26, 2019, 08:50:46 AM »

Himu

« Reply #1742 on: May 26, 2019, 09:30:03 AM »
Can we talk about how HBO should have just fire D&D and get new showrunners that would keep the show around for two-three more seasons? Why did they allow them to go on with this?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1743 on: May 26, 2019, 09:49:26 AM »
After some googling I found the answer to that.

Apparently D&D had an exclusive contract. So if they fired D&D they would lose GoT.

Holy fucking shit George you idiot!!!
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1744 on: May 26, 2019, 10:15:23 AM »

Great video.

The more time goes by the more i like King Bran. He would be the first chapter in ASOIAF and also the lat. The problem is that he's not developed well on the show so it feels hollow. But the pieces are certainly there.

A POV chapter of Bran post-three eyed Raven will be the most insight into the character since... the original books. :lol

Tasty

« Reply #1745 on: May 26, 2019, 10:16:14 AM »
After some googling I found the answer to that.

Apparently D&D had an exclusive contract. So if they fired D&D they would lose GoT.

Holy fucking shit George you idiot!!!

There has to be a buy-out clause or something, but I'd imagine it's also prohibitively high.

Himu

« Reply #1746 on: May 26, 2019, 10:17:44 AM »
HBO and GRRM seem to have placed their full trust in D&D. HBO offered 50 million and 4 additional episodes and D&D still balked. But HBO STILL trusted them and their "vision". They broke that trust in many ways.

I'm so sorry George.

I don't understand how this is possible. This entire thing is steeped in lack of professionalism. Holy fuck.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1747 on: May 26, 2019, 10:25:26 AM »
It sucks but that has to be the case with showrunners. Either you have a great one like Fuller/Esmail/etc., an OK one like Berlanti, or a crappy one.

Obviously shows are more than the showrunners, but from a network (and IP holder perspective), you either trust the showrunners or you don't. And HBO's whole thing is they let the creative team pretty much do what they want, and it usually works out because HBO usually has good judgment about which showrunners to trust. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't (True Detective s2 hey-oh.)

Tasty

« Reply #1748 on: May 26, 2019, 10:26:14 AM »
This is also why you see networks so desperate for Hollywood talent (either acting/writing/directing/etc.) They've been "vetted" and have a certain prestige.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1749 on: May 26, 2019, 10:34:15 AM »
It sucks but that has to be the case with showrunners. Either you have a great one like Fuller/Esmail/etc., an OK one like Berlanti, or a crappy one.

Obviously shows are more than the showrunners, but from a network (and IP holder perspective), you either trust the showrunners or you don't. And HBO's whole thing is they let the creative team pretty much do what they want, and it usually works out because HBO usually has good judgment about which showrunners to trust. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't (True Detective s2 hey-oh.)
And sometimes it works out, but they think it doesn't (Deadwood).

Himu

« Reply #1750 on: May 26, 2019, 10:34:30 AM »
I'm talking to some film friends to see what they think about D&D's future prospects after tanking this since HBO literally wrote a blank check. A lot of people not in film production who are fans are like,"this will ruin their careers" but :doge
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1752 on: May 26, 2019, 11:01:04 AM »
If Trevorrow can somehow fail his way upwards into a mainline SW movie (only to lose it, sure), I'm sure D&D will be fine.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1753 on: May 26, 2019, 03:57:13 PM »
https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1131662932087992320

wow so glad i never participated in this filth

agrajag

« Reply #1754 on: May 26, 2019, 06:14:35 PM »
cowardly benji sat out this whole thread and now he's trying to pull a Bran the Broken on us

:ufup

https://twitter.com/jowrotethis/status/1131956466993094656

:ohhh

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1755 on: May 27, 2019, 12:23:53 AM »
HBO and GRRM seem to have placed their full trust in D&D. HBO offered 50 million and 4 additional episodes and D&D still balked. But HBO STILL trusted them and their "vision". They broke that trust in many ways.

I'm so sorry George.

I don't understand how this is possible. This entire thing is steeped in lack of professionalism. Holy fuck.

https://www.ibtimes.com/game-thrones-producers-correctly-guess-who-jon-snows-real-mother-2064983

Quote from: TFA
A part from author George R.R. Martin, there are at least two other people, who know who Jon Snow’s real mother is. “Game of Thrones” TV series creators D.B. Weiss and David Benioff shared that they needed to guess Jon Snow’s real origins before the author agreed to let them make a screen adaptation of his novels.

The Sydney Morning Herald shared a video from the ABC program “The Writer’s Room.” In the clip, Weiss and Benioff are speaking about the work they have done in the highly successful HBO fantasy drama “Game of Thrones.”

“Who is Jon Snow’s real mother?” Martin reportedly asked Weiss and Benioff. They said that they had been pitching ideas for the TV series for five hours before the author dropped the big question. They said that after studying the books for so long, they made an educated guess. Luckily, they guessed right and they were allowed to produce the massively successful show.

Unfortunately for fans of both the books and the TV series, the three men have so far not revealed the truth about Jon Snow in their works.

That's basically it. They were able to adapt the book because they "knew" who Jon's mother was. George is clueless.

Key example:

:yikes

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1756 on: May 27, 2019, 06:49:27 AM »
A part from author George R.R. Martin, there are at least two other people, who know who Jon Snow’s real mother is.

Or you know, pretty much anyone who's read the books, since good ol' George didn't make it exactly that hard to figure out :lol

Himu

« Reply #1757 on: May 27, 2019, 10:18:10 AM »

I'm so sorry George.

https://www.ibtimes.com/game-thrones-producers-correctly-guess-who-jon-snows-real-mother-2064983

Quote from: TFA
A part from author George R.R. Martin, there are at least two other people, who know who Jon Snow’s real mother is. “Game of Thrones” TV series creators D.B. Weiss and David Benioff shared that they needed to guess Jon Snow’s real origins before the author agreed to let them make a screen adaptation of his novels.

The Sydney Morning Herald shared a video from the ABC program “The Writer’s Room.” In the clip, Weiss and Benioff are speaking about the work they have done in the highly successful HBO fantasy drama “Game of Thrones.”

“Who is Jon Snow’s real mother?” Martin reportedly asked Weiss and Benioff. They said that they had been pitching ideas for the TV series for five hours before the author dropped the big question. They said that after studying the books for so long, they made an educated guess. Luckily, they guessed right and they were allowed to produce the massively successful show.

Unfortunately for fans of both the books and the TV series, the three men have so far not revealed the truth about Jon Snow in their works.

That's basically it. They were able to adapt the book because they "knew" who Jon's mother was. George is clueless.

Key example:

(Image removed from quote.)

:yikes

I already knew about that story. What's weird to me is george using it as a measuring stick most of the fanbase considered it canon long before the show even confirmed it. D&D probably just read about it on the internet.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1758 on: May 27, 2019, 12:11:51 PM »

"I fought, I lost. Now I rest. But you, Lord Snow... You'll be fighting [the Wildlings'] battles forever."

:leon

PS- Unnecessary but still gratifying "Fuck Olly."

agrajag

« Reply #1759 on: May 27, 2019, 01:20:35 PM »
Jon Snow executed a little kid, what a monster. #foreshadowing

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1760 on: May 29, 2019, 07:18:38 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what it boils down to. All that talk for years about the show spoiling the books and how nobody would care about the books anymore after that...nope. The show shat the bed. Terrible season. I liked the second episode but nearly everything else was bad. Terrible writing, terrible plotting, suspect acting. Finale felt like a joke. Especially the time jump. 8 seasons of Dany, and not a single person mourned her in the show. No funeral, no emotional "noooo" scene, no nothing. Instead...a time jump a few weeks (or months?) forward, to a clumsy scene where a prisoner somehow crowns the next king of Westeros.

agrajag

« Reply #1761 on: May 29, 2019, 07:39:09 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1762 on: May 29, 2019, 10:06:45 PM »
There are aspects of the season that will come to pass in the books, but overall? Both the show and books are clearly going in such a drastic different direction that I don't even think the show matters much in my thinking about the future. Book wise the most interesting thing was kind of getting a glimpse of how stories were blended together. You can clearly see the Jon/Dany thing will be "Aegon"/Dany in the books...in terms of the jealousy and threat to the throne. I fully expect "Aegon" to be king by the time Dany arrives in Westeros. I think it's obvious the Sansa stuff will be Arianne Martell in the books. I think there could be a battle at Winterfell...but it won't be resolved like that (ie easy af).

I think it ends with no king - with each of the kingdoms ruled by a great house, and Jon on the Wall or beyond it fighting Others, who were simply pushed back beyond the Wall but aren't completely eliminated. Basically time being a flat circle - the stage would be set for another conqueror to re-forge the kingdom at some point in the futur.

The idea of Bran being king is laughable to me, even though I've read that theory years ago. Why would the Seven Kingdoms elect a Stark king, who doesn't even worship their gods? Why would they allow a Stark king and then allow the north to succeed?

bluemax

« Reply #1763 on: May 29, 2019, 11:44:16 PM »
Because George is subverting your expectations bruh.
NO

Himu

« Reply #1765 on: May 30, 2019, 11:07:05 AM »
Nah Bran’s king you just gotta accept it PD.

Now the execution of that story on the other hand...
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #1766 on: May 30, 2019, 01:03:59 PM »
A lot of you are completely taking for granted that the books will end up exactly where the show ended up, and I think you will be in for a surprise pikachu.

Himu

« Reply #1767 on: May 30, 2019, 01:15:50 PM »
They went with the major plot points George told them. Bran as king, tyrant Dany. But the books won't get there the same way. It's a totally different journey and one that I need...NOW.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #1768 on: May 30, 2019, 01:33:52 PM »
The story already diverged a long time ago. I don't know what y'all been reading.

Himu

« Reply #1769 on: May 30, 2019, 01:38:39 PM »
who the fuck said anything about the stories not diverging?
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #1770 on: May 30, 2019, 01:48:37 PM »
The stories diverge yet are going to end up at the same predetermined destination. Thank god you people aren't writing the books.

agrajag

« Reply #1771 on: May 30, 2019, 01:58:00 PM »
So you think he'll change the story?

The story already diverged a long time ago. I don't know what y'all been reading.

No one is saying otherwise dude.

who the fuck said anything about the stories not diverging?

my brain hurts today.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1772 on: May 30, 2019, 02:04:09 PM »
 :kermit

agrajag

« Reply #1773 on: May 30, 2019, 02:27:58 PM »
I haven't made any claims. You are in the camp who think they already know the ending, I am not.

agrajag

« Reply #1774 on: May 30, 2019, 02:34:01 PM »
Surprised when GRRM throws you a major curveball in the plot, as he is prone to doing.

Tired of your hostile dogshit and being the one blamed like I'm arguing all over the forum.

You need to chill out, man. Maybe you're confusing me for someone else? I barely interact with you aside from this thread, not sure where you are getting arguing with me all over the forum from.

Himu

« Reply #1775 on: May 30, 2019, 02:38:36 PM »
GRRM flat out told D&D Bran will be king. Yes the book and show are different. Yes, I still expect Bran to be king at the end of the books. I'm far more excited in seeing it done in the books. The shows final season felt like a giant advertisement for Winds and Dream.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #1776 on: May 30, 2019, 02:40:24 PM »
 :popular

GRRM could have easily told them to do one thing for the show and have something else in mind for the books. It's not like the books and the show haven't been going in different directions for entire seasons now.

agrajag

« Reply #1777 on: May 30, 2019, 02:59:04 PM »
 :hump :tauntaun :uguu

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #1778 on: May 30, 2019, 03:00:11 PM »
If Georgie boy said that Bran will be king, that's probably just how it's going to be. Then again, it was also from his original plan, so it could change in the future. Not impossible.
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #1779 on: May 30, 2019, 03:05:11 PM »
Either way it wouldn't be done in a ham-fisted way with the stupid little round table. Maybe I am alone in this, but how they get there is more important than who gets there. I don't think I am though, based on the negative reception of this season.

agrajag

« Reply #1780 on: May 30, 2019, 03:21:54 PM »
I'm tired of you and Cindi ganging up on me and gaslighting me  ::)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1781 on: May 30, 2019, 03:30:59 PM »
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1782 on: May 30, 2019, 06:40:32 PM »
edit: *kicks computer desk*

El Babua

« Reply #1783 on: May 30, 2019, 07:53:06 PM »
TFW when you realize GRRM's main issue for the past 19 years is trying to figure out how the fuck to make Bran king without it seeming stupid.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1784 on: May 30, 2019, 08:45:19 PM »
You can literally see the corners cut and fuckery. I'm sorry, but the books and show will not have the same ending. You're not going to convince me all the characters gang up in Winterfell, defeat the Others, nobody of consequence dies, and then they march to KL to win the game of thrones. fuckouttahere.

Himu

« Reply #1785 on: May 30, 2019, 08:48:10 PM »
You can literally see the corners cut and fuckery. I'm sorry, but the books and show will not have the same ending. You're not going to convince me all the characters gang up in Winterfell, defeat the Others, nobody of consequence dies, and then they march to KL to win the game of thrones. fuckouttahere.

Not the same exact ending. But stuff like King bran? Tyrant Dany? Yeah.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1786 on: May 30, 2019, 08:57:35 PM »
We know Dany is going to turn. She's full on "fire and blood" at the end of ADWD. Is she going to burn down KL? I don't know.

bluemax

« Reply #1787 on: May 31, 2019, 12:11:54 AM »
A lot of you are completely taking for granted that the books will end up exactly where the show ended up, and I think you will be in for a surprise pikachu.

A lot of you taking for granted that GRRM is gonna write another book.
NO

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1788 on: May 31, 2019, 01:09:03 AM »
I think that fucker finished a lot more of the book series than he let on but just didnt want to release it while he's making bank on TV show money

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1789 on: June 01, 2019, 06:04:26 PM »

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #1790 on: June 01, 2019, 07:20:42 PM »
It's 2019 and people expecting grrm to release books smh

agrajag

« Reply #1791 on: June 01, 2019, 08:49:45 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #1792 on: June 01, 2019, 09:08:22 PM »
"I'm about to end this man's whole career"

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #1793 on: June 01, 2019, 09:10:59 PM »
That's a woman actually
每天生气

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1794 on: June 01, 2019, 09:11:52 PM »
That's a woman actually
just like a woman to try and end a man's whole career

agrajag

« Reply #1795 on: June 01, 2019, 09:24:03 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1796 on: June 02, 2019, 01:56:22 AM »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1798 on: June 02, 2019, 01:52:20 PM »
Boy George looking pretty hot nowadays.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1799 on: June 03, 2019, 03:12:21 PM »
©ZH