Author Topic: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible  (Read 3803477 times)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
Re: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible
« Reply #14460 on: May 07, 2019, 11:51:57 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/mitch-mcconnell-will-speak-at-10am-to-declare-mueller-investigation-case-closed.115607/

Quote from: Sulik2, post: 20547543, member: 17807
McConnell is a traitor and an evil human being. I don't often truly hate people, but he is loathsome and disgusting person and I hope he dies a slow painful death when he finally see fits to rid the planet of his existence. Then I will join the long line of people to piss on his grave.
:badass

I am going to take a giant wet shit on your grave you cunt.

Civil Discourse Triumphs

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #14461 on: May 07, 2019, 11:53:17 AM »
I kinda wanted to do a Waypoints Greatest Shits roundup, but I really cba.

Boredfrom

« Reply #14462 on: May 07, 2019, 11:54:18 AM »
Are you guys seriously going to stan for McConnell?

marrec

« Reply #14463 on: May 07, 2019, 11:57:04 AM »
It's not stanning for McConnell as much as giggling at the rhetorical bodily functions these internet warriors are fantasizing about.

Boredfrom

« Reply #14464 on: May 07, 2019, 12:02:41 PM »
It's not stanning for McConnell as much as giggling at the rhetorical bodily functions these internet warriors are fantasizing about.

I dunno, I can see people getting troubled if RE is shitting on another public figure than a known scummy and double faced politician that is known for his cynicism disguised as political pragmatism.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #14465 on: May 07, 2019, 12:03:04 PM »
"ResetERA.com, do you wipe after defacing the graves of people you hate?"

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #14466 on: May 07, 2019, 12:04:57 PM »
Someone can correct me if I’m misremembering, but they never accused the developers of “trying to support colonialism.”

A game (or any media) can unintentionally comment or take a stance on a concept. That doesn’t protect it from criticism, and frequently the people at Waypoint give creators the benefit of the doubt when it comes to those instances. Don’t recall them accusing Capcom of propagandizing colonialism, but feel free to quote where they said that.

Aside from that, if your argument’s based on “it’s a take that no one else had,” then consider that so few gaming outlets ever even acknowledge themes/philosophies in games, let alone stuff like treatment of trans characters in game stories (or hold a fundraiser to support trans causes in real life).

“No one else had this take,” is more an indictment on the rest of games media, and even the Cliff Notes version of their critique of MHW’s colonial elements was better founded than your argument here.

The best takes!

For some reason even bringing up an issue IS THE ISSUE for a lot of fans of media. Critical theory itself is the enemy. Same thing with this Monster Hunter World article. Who knows how many have even read it. It's weirdly accepted to be against even looking at media in that way. This doesn't just apply to video games, obv

“I feel bad for killing dragons in a video game, I feel like Trump Jr”.

Their mistake is to believe that any critical take is inherently good and worthwhile. I suppose PETA complaining about animal abuse in Super Mario was actually a really important take and it's a true shame it was ridiculed

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #14467 on: May 07, 2019, 12:14:25 PM »
This Resident Evil 2 article was incredible.
Sad to see them gone, they could've rivaled the Onion.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #14468 on: May 07, 2019, 12:15:39 PM »
Baron Trump kills and poses with real dead dragons, not your taco pixel ones.

:trumps

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #14469 on: May 07, 2019, 12:17:49 PM »
Their mistake is to believe that any critical take is inherently good and worthwhile. I suppose PETA complaining about animal abuse in Super Mario was actually a really important take and it's a true shame it was ridiculed

at least PETA know how to pay the bills and keep on trucking  :success

Boredfrom

« Reply #14470 on: May 07, 2019, 12:17:52 PM »
Someone can correct me if I’m misremembering, but they never accused the developers of “trying to support colonialism.”

A game (or any media) can unintentionally comment or take a stance on a concept. That doesn’t protect it from criticism, and frequently the people at Waypoint give creators the benefit of the doubt when it comes to those instances. Don’t recall them accusing Capcom of propagandizing colonialism, but feel free to quote where they said that.

Aside from that, if your argument’s based on “it’s a take that no one else had,” then consider that so few gaming outlets ever even acknowledge themes/philosophies in games, let alone stuff like treatment of trans characters in game stories (or hold a fundraiser to support trans causes in real life).

“No one else had this take,” is more an indictment on the rest of games media, and even the Cliff Notes version of their critique of MHW’s colonial elements was better founded than your argument here.

The best takes!

For some reason even bringing up an issue IS THE ISSUE for a lot of fans of media. Critical theory itself is the enemy. Same thing with this Monster Hunter World article. Who knows how many have even read it. It's weirdly accepted to be against even looking at media in that way. This doesn't just apply to video games, obv

“I feel bad for killing dragons in a video game, I feel like Trump Jr”.

I’m pretty sure they know this, is the same thing they say when is concerned to other stuff. They just really like Waypoint because their politics, not that most of them would ever bother to watch their streams or reading their articles regularly.

benjipwns

« Reply #14471 on: May 07, 2019, 12:34:58 PM »
Today, we should just lament the fact that Waypoint, one of the few bastions for honest-to-god left-leaning criticism in games
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3ybje/i-really-like-god-of-war-but-reserve-the-right-to-change-my-mind
If you wanted video games to be seen as art, we needed more BioShock Infinites, and as someone who was, at the time, trying to transition to more serious criticism, this fit.

When the game came out, everything supported my initial reading. Reviews dropped, and everyone liked the game. Not only was it good, it seemed important.

Then, others weighed in. Specifically, people outside the establishment game reviewing cognoscenti, a small group of individuals who tend to review the “big” games, and thus set the tone for how a game is perceived and talked about. (I’m part of this, and have been for a long time.) As critics like Waypoint’s Austin Walker (“I Can See My House From Here: Bioshock Infinite, Nostalgia, and The Uncanny”), Anjin Anhut (“Infinite Privilege”), Gary Alexander (“Columbia: Problematic Racism Theme Park”), Leigh Alexander (“ BioShock Infinite: Now Is The Best Time”), and others published essays, my calculus changed. I’d taken so much of BioShock Infinite’s at face value, and mistook a game projecting as serious to mean it was also “right.”

honest-to-god left-leaning criticism

BisMarckie

« Reply #14472 on: May 07, 2019, 12:36:39 PM »
Still the "He puts people he likes at the bottom and shitheads at the top" defence doesn't work at all given H3H3 is as bad as Keemstar, they playform alt-light icons like Peterson, and Ethan still loves Jontron. You can't like them without being a dipshit who gives zero fucks about bigotry.

The same can be said if you're still posting Dunky content, especially when the content's this tragic.

:punch

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14473 on: May 07, 2019, 12:43:28 PM »
Specifically, people outside the establishment game reviewing cognoscenti, a small group of individuals who tend to review the “big” games, and thus set the tone for how a game is perceived and talked about. (I’m part of this, and have been for a long time.)

:ego
©@©™

Rahxephon91

« Reply #14474 on: May 07, 2019, 12:43:53 PM »
This is the type of shit they published? :era

BisMarckie

« Reply #14475 on: May 07, 2019, 12:44:57 PM »
Cognoscenti?

Klepek and etioilet must use the same thesaurus. :yuck

Tasty

« Reply #14476 on: May 07, 2019, 12:47:31 PM »
Cognoscenti?

Klepek and etioilet must use the same thesaurus. :yuck

Has anyone ever see them in the same room together? :thinking

Boredfrom

« Reply #14477 on: May 07, 2019, 12:48:12 PM »
'Resident Evil 2' is a scary, effective fantasy of permission and scarcity. But I want to be a different kind of survivor.

:doge

BisMarckie

« Reply #14478 on: May 07, 2019, 12:49:31 PM »
Klepek probably can‘t even translate the most simple Cicero speeches. :smug

benjipwns

« Reply #14479 on: May 07, 2019, 12:52:09 PM »
Monster Hunter: World is a game where the most well realized elements—the creatures and the places—are meant to be mastered. You master them so that you can cut them into pieces, and you cut them into pieces so that you can make new gear, and you make new gear so that you can master them better. Even when you choose to trap monsters (a slightly more difficult task than simply killing them), you’re rewarded with their pieces when you get home. You are not a hero, you are a hunter who kills for sport.

In our current moment, the phrase “big game hunter” brings to mind the Trump sons posing with their kills, holding dead leopards and detached elephant trunks as sublimated stand-ins for wealth, privilege, and supposed masculine strength.

But this association is older than the Trumps. For as long as the modern West has colonized—the act with which it marked itself as “the West”—it has reduced the lands in its margins to hunting grounds. Distant regions are places where bounty can be gained, both literal and metaphorical. Through the full set of low rank quests, Monster Hunter: World embodies exactly this colonialist fantasy: the pillaging of natural resources, the violence against native people, and the rhetorical establishment of the colonizer as civilized and rational.

BisMarckie

« Reply #14481 on: May 07, 2019, 01:09:15 PM »
I saw Kyle Bosman at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
The hell? This doesn't at all sound like Kyle. Now I'm sad. Another one down the drain.

:heh

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #14482 on: May 07, 2019, 01:10:15 PM »
Like most people are saying, Waypoint was always part of Vice and no one is leaving and nothing is changing except the name apparently

However I could see this as a way to rein them in and keep them from continuing with their own separate identity, stop them from pulling a Gaming-Age Forums split, because they see the way the wind has been blowing with Vice getting the :wag

This is so era

https://forum.waypoint.vice.com/t/waypoint-is-joining-the-new-vice-com/21784/32

Quote from: robowitch (moderator)
Quote from: alexl
Not to be a bear, but can we get a discord invite link in this thread?
What I’d suggest for this is to get in touch with a moderator to request this.

We don’t have an open Discord link on the forum to minimise the potential for harassment to come into the Discord through that link.
Uncle

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #14483 on: May 07, 2019, 01:10:28 PM »
space invaders is a simple game based on simple premise, at least on the surface. your lone ships stands before a baying horde of foreign grotesques, intent on destruction, you fire your weapon, you score shoots up and the dopamine flows through your veins. is it really a simple action game or allegory for the addiction of colonialism? acting as a small force with superior weaponry dispensing with the rushing throng of primitives, it's clear that it is you the player who is acting as the colonial occupier, you are the invader.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:39:11 PM by headwalk »

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #14484 on: May 07, 2019, 01:11:06 PM »

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #14485 on: May 07, 2019, 01:11:20 PM »

That notion is wild, the police station as fortress/safe haven is laughably naive (particularly for people of color). It certainly was in the 90s as well, and really, when has policing in America ever actually been about keeping neighborhoods safe as opposed to keeping a racist status quo up and running?

Keep in mind they're talking about a zombie apocalypse

Risible

« Reply #14486 on: May 07, 2019, 01:23:06 PM »
You joke, but Klepek is the kiss of fucking death for an organization. How such an untalented hack keeps getting work is beyond me.

Patrick Klepek sinks another publication, fuckin toxic white male

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14487 on: May 07, 2019, 01:25:18 PM »
'Resident Evil 2' is a scary, effective fantasy of permission and scarcity. But I want to be a different kind of survivor.

Why does Resident Evil 2 make me fight zombies, I just want to be a peaceful medic and help people survive!
dog

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #14488 on: May 07, 2019, 01:27:03 PM »
Like most people are saying, Waypoint was always part of Vice and no one is leaving and nothing is changing except the name apparently

However I could see this as a way to rein them in and keep them from continuing with their own separate identity, stop them from pulling a Gaming-Age Forums split, because they see the way the wind has been blowing with Vice getting the :wag
nah, waypoint just isn't popular compared to their other spinoff sub brands. that's why motherboard and noisey are staying separated and waypoint just gonna be "vice games", the vice name is way more notable than the waypoint name.

it just also happens to fit in with the austin walker penchant for downplaying/ignoring sexual harassment and assault by becoming a vice employee proper.

benjipwns

« Reply #14489 on: May 07, 2019, 01:29:58 PM »
Gaining experience points and leveling up to become more powerful, gain new skills and achieve more promotes the capitalist myth that an individual, often from a poor and non noble background, can get ahead and achieve a historic victory and status through their own hard work no matter what systemic structures are in place.

The wanton spread of loot promotes a corruptive consumerism in which most items are treated as disposable and are acquired simply to further the ability to further an endless acquisition of loot. This commodity fetishism leads to a madness in which the person is driven to break open pots, enter houses and open drawers, and even slaughter an endless number of innocent creatures all to gain access to larger amounts of consumer goods.

Spreading the alt-right "NPC meme" to others within the world just promotes silencing their voices and concerns until they serve purely as objects for the furtherance of the goals of the "chosen one" adventurer, the status of these individuals almost never advances or shows any benefit from the results of the actions of the so-called "hero" instead they generally remain trapped in a servile role permanently even as the "hero" advances and loses interest in his original community's concerns that begun his journey for greater personal achievements and advancement and wealth.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #14490 on: May 07, 2019, 01:30:23 PM »
How do I get VICE Games to pay me to write gender bender fanfics?
每天生气

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #14491 on: May 07, 2019, 01:31:28 PM »
space invaders is a simple game based on simple premise, at least on the surface. your lone ships stands before a baying horde of foreign grotesques, intent on destruction, you fire your weapon, you score shoots up and the dopamine flows through your veins. is it really a simple action game or allegory for the addiction of colonialism? acting as a small force with superior weaponry dispensing with the rushing horde primitive alien masses, it's clear that it is you the player who is acting as the colonial occupier, you are the invader.

While some cling to the outdated notion that Tetris might be "problematic" due to its Russian roots, I find myself celebrating the fact that it represents a culture often ignored and left behind in modern discourse.  Any level of whiteness and the privilege afforded from it that the Russian people enjoy is broadly overshadowed by the unique cultural perspective that brought us socialism.

No, my personal criticism of Tetris hews closer to the way it seems to praise order and normalcy over that which is outside the norm.  As I watch the blocks fall and form irregular shapes, I can't help but see them as our own quirks and differences given form.  That gap of several blocks at the bottom?  A black man, left behind because he doesn't conform to white society.  The tall, overhanging ledge of blocks interrupting that perfect wall?  A transwoman, told that she will never fit in, that there is no place for her here.  A perfect row represents conservatism, the alt-right constructing their gleaming, one-way society brick by brick.  The bricks are whisked away and you are thus reward for enforcing the status quo.  Allow too many gaps in your wall, too many "weirdos" and "freaks," LGBTQIA, minorities, women, and we are told the entire system will crumble.  A game over.

Might other designs exist in this vein of gameplay that could allow or even glorify other success states?  In the long run, we may need to lower our guard ever-so-slightly and allow Alexey Pajitnov, a white male, to help show us the way.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:38:14 PM by Uncle »
Uncle

BisMarckie

« Reply #14492 on: May 07, 2019, 01:33:02 PM »

Think about Mr.Gilhaney and his ladyboy adventures.

BisMarckie

« Reply #14493 on: May 07, 2019, 01:43:33 PM »
Isn‘t TransLifeLine, the charity Waypoint raised money for, known to be kind of dubious and scammy ? :doge

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #14494 on: May 07, 2019, 01:46:19 PM »
I feel like there could easily be a Waypoint article generator of some sort with how predictably formulaic their articles are.

BisMarckie

« Reply #14495 on: May 07, 2019, 01:47:52 PM »
I wish there was a Bire shitpost generator, it would save me so much time. :aah

Can anyone here sort this?

stufte

« Reply #14496 on: May 07, 2019, 01:49:22 PM »

What? Every "person" posting here is a bot, I thought this was known?

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #14497 on: May 07, 2019, 01:50:24 PM »
Isn‘t TransLifeLine, the charity Waypoint raised money for, known to be kind of dubious and scammy ? :doge

It was, but after the old frontrunners were investigated for fraud and embezzlement (to the tune of $350,000) they were kicked out and by some accounts it now actually functions as it should to some extent

https://translifeline-receipts.tumblr.com/

Also apparently they bought property in the middle of the desert with the intent of turning it into an LGBT safehouse/mecca complete with biodome, dumped a storage container there to live in, spent a few days out in the heat littering up the place and abandoned the project
Uncle

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #14498 on: May 07, 2019, 01:51:26 PM »

That notion is wild, the police station as fortress/safe haven is laughably naive (particularly for people of color). It certainly was in the 90s as well, and really, when has policing in America ever actually been about keeping neighborhoods safe as opposed to keeping a racist status quo up and running?

Also both protagonists are white, Leon is a cop and Claire is the sister of a cop at that very station.  :doge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #14499 on: May 07, 2019, 01:53:05 PM »
CUT MY MONSTER INTO PIECES, IT IS MY MASTERED GAME
©@©™

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #14500 on: May 07, 2019, 01:59:31 PM »
Let's reveal this for what it is: a weaponized alt-right/GamerGate meme. Its origins are me cracking a joke at the game throwing some half-naked women at me, nothing more. What it's been used for, and what its passive mention here makes clear, is a blatant, bad faith attempt to undermine my credibility. Maybe it's possible you don't know that, and I'll try to grant the benefit of the doubt. But based on past history, this usually only comes up from specific people, for specific reasons.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/waypoint-folded-back-into-vice-games-immediately-loses-unique-editorial-voice-staff-is-still-the-same.115474/post-20552393

:exxy

Boredfrom

« Reply #14501 on: May 07, 2019, 01:59:41 PM »

Also both protagonists are white, Leon is a cop and Claire is the sister of a cop at that very station.  :doge

STARS was essentially a more militarized SWAT squad. The whole series post RacconCity revolves about sanctioned  USA or UN agents fighting terrorists backed by shadow corporations with obvious ties with the US.

Boredfrom

« Reply #14502 on: May 07, 2019, 02:02:46 PM »
Let's reveal this for what it is: a weaponized alt-right/GamerGate meme. Its origins are me cracking a joke at the game throwing some half-naked women at me, nothing more. What it's been used for, and what its passive mention here makes clear, is a blatant, bad faith attempt to undermine my credibility. Maybe it's possible you don't know that, and I'll try to grant the benefit of the doubt. But based on past history, this usually only comes up from specific people, for specific reasons.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/waypoint-folded-back-into-vice-games-immediately-loses-unique-editorial-voice-staff-is-still-the-same.115474/post-20552393

:lol

Holy shit Patrick. I remember how you acted in a GB livestream after Cyberpunk was announced. Don’t pull the “I was just pretending being stupid”.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #14503 on: May 07, 2019, 02:03:17 PM »
how nice of Patrick "Rape Time" Klepek to TRY and grant the benefit of the doubt :lol

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #14504 on: May 07, 2019, 02:03:58 PM »

There are some other choice pictures for that

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #14505 on: May 07, 2019, 02:04:21 PM »
Has he ever commented on the rape time ass time pics

God dammit Nate now would've been the perfect time to post them in reply to that post
Uncle

stufte

« Reply #14506 on: May 07, 2019, 02:05:18 PM »
Has he ever commented on the rape time ass time pics

God dammit Nate now would've been the perfect time to post them in reply to that post

I think he just deleted the flickr account when it was discovered and never said a word.

marrec

« Reply #14507 on: May 07, 2019, 02:07:35 PM »
Y'alls obsession with a few pictures from Klepek's past is desperate but also kind of endearing.

"WHAT ABOUT THE PICTURES KLEPEK?!" you cry as he continues to ignore you and remain employed and credible as a trendy games writer

stufte

« Reply #14508 on: May 07, 2019, 02:09:01 PM »
Y'alls obsession with a few pictures from Klepek's past is desperate but also kind of endearing.

Oh shush, it's fun to point out the hypocrisy of people like him, and it's funny that REE hasn't other'd him because of it.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #14509 on: May 07, 2019, 02:09:33 PM »

"WHAT ABOUT THE PICTURES KLEPEK?!" you cry as he continues to ignore you and remain employed and credible as a trendy games writer

Some of us expect better from the Senior Reporter at Vice Gaming.
©@©™

Boredfrom

« Reply #14510 on: May 07, 2019, 02:10:32 PM »

I will not mind if he owned them or didn’t acted that he was always above that. The fact that he still pretends that his sudden turn to puritanism is just a funny act...

He just said he is easily undermined by an out of context reaction face.

thetylerrob

« Reply #14511 on: May 07, 2019, 02:11:30 PM »

I mean hypocrisy is always funny to me so...

marrec

« Reply #14512 on: May 07, 2019, 02:11:43 PM »

Oh shush, it's fun to point out the hypocrisy of people like him, and it's funny that REE hasn't other'd him because of it.

It's hella fun I won't argue that  :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #14513 on: May 07, 2019, 02:12:10 PM »

Why does Resident Evil 2 make me fight zombies, I just want to be a peaceful medic and help people survive!
Funny enough, we just passed the 25th anniversary of the publication of this:

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #14514 on: May 07, 2019, 02:12:27 PM »

Do you have any pics where you creeped on women and made rape jokes?

stufte

« Reply #14515 on: May 07, 2019, 02:13:04 PM »

Boredfrom

« Reply #14516 on: May 07, 2019, 02:13:37 PM »

Funny enough, we just passed the 25th anniversary of the publication of this:

(Image removed from quote.)

Shin Megami Tensei ?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #14517 on: May 07, 2019, 02:13:52 PM »
Marrec this post would come off as more credible if you didn't habitually post here, with the rest of the rabble.  :doge

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #14518 on: May 07, 2019, 02:14:32 PM »

Just give your login info to Glen, like shosta did.

marrec

« Reply #14519 on: May 07, 2019, 02:16:16 PM »
Marrec this post would come off as more credible if you didn't habitually post here, with the rest of the rabble.  :doge

I'm the Bad Boy (tm) of ResetERA who's here to continually finger wag at everyone who ever posts anything on either website.