Author Topic: Google Stadia: Electric Snoopaloo Sayga Bleemcast 2  (Read 41507 times)

MMaRsu

Re: Google Stadia: Electric Snoopaloo Sayga Bleemcast 2
« Reply #780 on: February 03, 2021, 04:29:46 PM »
Also for a bonus of $100,000,000:
— Please describe to me a game that would only work on a streaming service and couldn’t be faked through traditional infrastructure

:rejoice :rejoice

https://www.windowscentral.com/inside-crackdown-3s-azure-cloud-powered-destruction

Crackdown 3 targets a February 15, 2019 launch date, complete with separate campaign and multiplayer competitive modes. The multiplayer modes, dubbed "Wrecking Zone," take place in a virtual arena dotted with gigantic explosive-filled skyscrapers, huge twisting sci-fi walkways, and electrified pitfalls. Notably, every chunk of these arenas can be destroyed by players, offloading physics computations to Microsoft's Azure cloud.

Leveraging Azure, multiplayer matches in Crackdown 3 utilize massive amounts of additional processing power beyond your base Xbox or PC, bringing persistent, dynamic physics-based destruction across sizeable urban-industrial-style maps. Last week, we talked to Microsoft about how it all works, and the implications it could have for the future of gaming.

Collectively, a lot of people working on the vision for the game at that time had made this bet — something that's always been true of Crackdown: you're this badass guy or woman, this character who can just light shit up. 'What if we actually made that real? What if we made a space where everything you shot at was destructible?' We knew we couldn't do that online if we limited ourselves to just the console client that you have in your living room. [But] what if we did physics in the cloud?

:ohhh :aah :whoo :lucas :mouf

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-crackdown-3-wrecking-zone-what-happened-to-the-power-of-the-cloud

What happened to the power of the cloud? Crackdown 3 finally launched last week, its Wrecking Zone multiplayer mode presenting the final iteration of an astonishing cloud-driven physics showcase first revealed by Microsoft in 2015. Perhaps inevitably, the final game only bears a passing resemblance to that initial demo, and while Wrecking Crew itself is rich in potential, the actual game is rather lacklustre.

Technologically, the cutbacks are legion. Micro-scale chip damage is completely absent, while destruction generally is far less granular, with buildings and statues breaking apart into more simplistic polygonal chunks. It's interesting to stack up Wrecking Zone with Red Faction Guerrilla Remastered - a game we sorely regret not covering at the time of its launch. Originally a last-gen Xbox 360 title, it does many of the same things as Wrecking Zone - on a smaller scale definitely, but with more granularity and detail. And this raises the question of whether the cloud would actually be necessary at all for Wrecking Zone.

:beli :shaq2 :huh

I dunno man, I feel like this would totally be possible rn.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #781 on: February 03, 2021, 05:48:59 PM »
Theoretically, you could have a whole bunch of games that are only really going to work well on stadia (or via sheer brute force on high end gaming PCs) because theoretically you can configure your server however you want; make a game thats all heavily CPU bound physics calculations or whatever, just spec up a CPU-heavy server for players of that particular game.

Gaming machines are jack of all trade builds because thats your optimal distribution (and on the console side of things, they don't even jack of all trades it, they go for the cheapest graphics whore showcase they can that hits an arbitrary price point).
If you really wanted to make a game thats highly skewed towards one particular aspect of a computers functionality you absolutely could, its just a question of whether that would generate as much interest as a shiny graphics 'using game assets' maya render sizzle trailer.

« Reply #782 on: February 03, 2021, 07:40:30 PM »
The kind of game that would’ve worked good on streaming would’ve been cyberpunk 2077 if every single NPC had their own individual schedules and complex AI routines that would’ve crushed any modern PC much more than their graphical prowess

basically huge amounts of AI in the cloud but even that could’ve been processed in the cloud and then data fed locally on the client system (kinda like how the processing works in mmos in a more complex way)

also has anyone checked on Alucardx23???  please make sure he’s OK LOL :lol

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #783 on: February 04, 2021, 11:35:03 AM »
let's see what the commentary in this thread was like wrt google's first party studio, a scant 2 pages ago

Uncle

Coax

« Reply #784 on: February 08, 2021, 04:36:46 AM »
Terraria dev was working on a Stadia release but Google revoked access to their entire Google account for the past three weeks and they're pissed. Great service you have there Google 👌

https://twitter.com/Demilogic/status/1358661843192012801

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A Mod
« Reply #785 on: February 08, 2021, 11:50:25 AM »
Why do they keep handling everything with their shitty bots, when they fuck up more than a stoned burger flipper?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #786 on: February 08, 2021, 11:53:58 AM »
Terraria dev was working on a Stadia release but Google revoked access to their entire Google account for the past three weeks and they're pissed. Great service you have there Google 👌

https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1357455108078931968
©@©™

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #787 on: February 08, 2021, 12:43:00 PM »

Nightmare stories like this are why I made a Fastmail address, a new Dropbox, and scheduled monthly Google Takeout exports. Also why I turned all my "Sign in with Google/Gmail" third-party accounts into pure email ones (also a good idea for security reasons, anyways.)

Between paid subs to Fastmail, Dropbox, and Google One, I'm paying for the redundancy for sure, but you can't put a price on peace of mind IMO.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 12:47:06 PM by Tasty »

Nintex

• COMMUNITY MANAGER
« Reply #788 on: February 08, 2021, 01:43:25 PM »
Google doesn't care about any of their customers. They rip out important features rendering services useless when it suits them. There's a pandemic going on but Google shutters Google Meet. It sucked sure, the the timing is just  :lol
Every interface feels like it was build 5 years ago by an intern (and it probably was). As a reseller of their Workspace shit all their software is completely garbage and they change their partnership programs about a dozen times a year until they revert back to the way it was. :doge

Anyhow I was told that developers were dropping Stadia and Google wanted to beat them to the punch with a 'change in direction' PR thing. The gaming inudstry is a mess right now.
GAMER

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #789 on: February 08, 2021, 04:52:02 PM »
Google Meet is still going...

Nintex

• COMMUNITY MANAGER
« Reply #790 on: February 08, 2021, 04:55:50 PM »
Google Meet is still going...
Wait, it was hangouts that they're killing https://killedbygoogle.com/

So why did I receive a notification about this as a Google Apps Business GSuite Workspace reseller
GAMER

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #791 on: February 08, 2021, 05:03:36 PM »
Maybe they translated Hangouts to Meet in Dutch?

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #792 on: February 08, 2021, 06:31:37 PM »
supposedly they're killing hangouts by rebranding it and letting you keep using it in whatever it's new name/form is in the exact same way as before

Google says, "We will continue to support consumer use of classic Hangouts and expect to transition consumers to free Chat and Meet following the transition of GSuite customers. A more specific timeline will be communicated at a later date."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 06:37:34 PM by Uncle »
Uncle

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #793 on: February 08, 2021, 06:58:20 PM »
Hangouts Google Chat has mostly imported everything from classic Hangouts including messages I think. Shutdown is probably this year.

Classic Hangouts dying also means the final death of Google Talk (a 2005 release), which mostly lived on through Hangouts until now. RIP.

Nintex

• COMMUNITY MANAGER
« Reply #794 on: February 08, 2021, 07:15:56 PM »
How many chat apps that do the exact same thing do we need anyway.
Way back in the day we had WhatsApp then everyone moved to facebook messenger for security reasons or whatever, followed by Hangouts, I skipped Telegram and now Signal seems to be thing.

I get the difference between say Slack and Discord and other apps that have different uses, but the direct messaging apps are all the same.
GAMER

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #795 on: February 08, 2021, 10:55:40 PM »
they're not all the same

I can't talk to smarterchild anymore  :goty2
Uncle

MMaRsu

« Reply #796 on: February 09, 2021, 11:10:14 AM »
People gonna keep using whatsapp tho 🤷🏼‍♂️

If I meet someone who says they only have signal well bad luck give me a call then

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #797 on: February 23, 2021, 06:41:53 PM »
Stadia is back baby!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #798 on: February 23, 2021, 08:34:55 PM »
(Cough)

naff

• <̽̎̏ͨͣ͞҉̯͔̩̩͕ͅ>̫͔͍̥͉̳͚͓͗͋̄̑ͧ̓̔̏ͭ̿͌ͫ́̒́ͩ̀͡͞ͅ
« Reply #799 on: February 23, 2021, 09:44:34 PM »
man, that's a name i haven't heard in a long time. tbh, totally loved the pixeljunk games on ps3. would prob give this a crack with a free sub on my android tv or something.
◕‿◕

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #800 on: February 26, 2021, 02:45:54 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1365376842765651970

:crowdlaff

Stadia is going to be dead in six months.

Can Phil Harrison go to Nintendo next so they can finally go third party?

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #801 on: February 26, 2021, 02:47:44 PM »
Can Phil Harrison go to Nintendo next so they can finally go third party?

:maf

Coax

« Reply #802 on: February 27, 2021, 02:38:01 AM »
Nightmare stories like this are why I made a Fastmail address, a new Dropbox, and scheduled monthly Google Takeout exports. Also why I turned all my "Sign in with Google/Gmail" third-party accounts into pure email ones (also a good idea for security reasons, anyways.)

Terraria dev reverses decision to cancel Stadia release after merciful lord Google restored their account :doge

Nintex

• COMMUNITY MANAGER
« Reply #803 on: February 27, 2021, 03:10:36 PM »
The Google cloud gaming division cancelled a multiplayer game led by a former Assassin’s Creed creative, a sequel to Journey to the Savage Planet and backed out of proposals for Hideo Kojima (Death Stranding) and Yu Suzuki (Outrun) to create exclusive games for Stadia, the sources said.
:titus

A British video game industry veteran, Harrison was a prominent face at both PlayStation and Xbox during their worst console launches — the overpriced PlayStation 3 and badly managed Xbox One. He joined Google in 2018 as vice president of Stadia.
Why the fuck hire this man  :lol
GAMER

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #804 on: February 27, 2021, 05:25:24 PM »
failing upwards :doge
Hi

chronovore

• relapsed dev