Author Topic: Google Stadia: Electric Snoopaloo Sayga Bleemcast 2  (Read 83566 times)

bluemax

Re: Google Stadia: Electric Snoopaloo Sayga Bleemcast 2
« Reply #660 on: February 27, 2020, 10:21:38 PM »
The thing is, right now, there are almost more jobs in the games industry and adjacent spaces than there are people to fill them. I think also the fact that about 5 years worth of dev talent got stuck working on 2D F2P games made in Unity, has also made the talent pool for 3D artists/animators smaller than the demand. VR might not be big for consumers yet, but it has created more jobs (most of them for either virtual production or interactive marketing), so thankfully the talent pool is getting refreshed somewhat.

To a lesser extent I have found that almost everyone I talk to is a bit more selective about the culture of places they take jobs at. While there always will be the "I only want to work at company X or on game type Y" people, I think people as a whole are getting more selective about QoL. That, of course is just anecdotal.
NO

bluemax

« Reply #661 on: March 05, 2020, 12:02:17 AM »
NO

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #662 on: March 05, 2020, 01:05:12 AM »
You in the Seattle area?  Job market around here in tech in general is just insane.

Los Angeles actually.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/3/4/21164794/google-stadia-new-dev-studio-playa-vista-shannon-studstill-playstation

Playa Vista is where I’ll be relocating to!
serge

Svejk

« Reply #663 on: March 05, 2020, 12:15:04 PM »
Maybe they should've considered more studios before launching.   :doge

bluemax

« Reply #664 on: March 05, 2020, 11:34:58 PM »
I've said it in other threads but competition for games talent is stiff, especially at the senior/lead level which is what they're hiring for right now. Google has money, but if you have to choose between working on XSX or PS5 or Stadia, what do you choose?
NO

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #665 on: March 06, 2020, 08:57:50 AM »
you choose the biggest check while its still avaiable

kingv

« Reply #666 on: March 06, 2020, 07:37:02 PM »
Is it fair to say that almost every game dev has some trash games on his resume, and that maybe that is not the best factor to judge their talent?

I’m sure working on some stadia game that sells 20K copies is fine if you are getting paid.

bluemax

« Reply #667 on: March 06, 2020, 10:21:17 PM »
Is it fair to say that almost every game dev has some trash games on his resume, and that maybe that is not the best factor to judge their talent?

I’m sure working on some stadia game that sells 20K copies is fine if you are getting paid.

Pretty much yeah, the more established a studio is the less likely it is to hire someone straight out of school etc. So you usually take a place that is either willing to take a risk on you or a place that just throws bodies at problems with no regard for them. You work on movie licensed games (probably in Unity for mobile phones these days) and you work your way up from there.

People who go to new studios at early stages are either people who have hit a ceiling at their current job, or people who worked their way into a role that may seem prestigious but robs them of the chance to have the kind of day to day impact they had when things were smaller among other scenarios.

I mean I have a friend who holds one of the titles they are looking to hire for, and he is unhappy with his current job. So for him, it might make sense to go somewhere that he gets the same kind of title and pay and an early shot at helping build a culture he actually likes.
NO

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #668 on: March 07, 2020, 08:56:34 AM »
Can someone point me to an instance where someone spent a bitchload of money assembling a team from scratch and shipped a Metacritic 80+ game after 2 years

I was gonna say Mistwalker with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, but apparently the first got a 79 and the latter only got a 78 (which is definitely too low for that game).
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #669 on: March 07, 2020, 09:00:31 AM »
Can someone point me to an instance where someone spent a bitchload of money assembling a team from scratch and shipped a Metacritic 80+ game after 2 years
Not two years and under the umbrella of Respawn but that's pretty much what EA did with Star Wars: The Fallen Order.
🤴

kingv

« Reply #670 on: March 08, 2020, 08:10:07 PM »
How long was it from creation of resplendent to release of Titanfall? Couldn’t have been much more than 2 years.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #671 on: March 08, 2020, 10:16:16 PM »
How long was it from creation of resplendent to release of Titanfall? Couldn’t have been much more than 2 years.

The studio was founded April 2010 and Titanfall came out March 2014, though apparently actual preproduction didn't start until sometime in 2011.
dog

bluemax

« Reply #672 on: March 08, 2020, 11:50:51 PM »
3 years with an off the shelf engine is probably about the earliest you can expect a new studio to put out a bigger game. Depends on the scope of the game and how much trouble they have in hiring as well.

Even if you're using UE or Unity, there's so much you have to build up in terms of infrastructure. Right now this Stadia team is mostly hiring Engineering/Design/Production leads. Say that goes fast and they have a small team by the end of April. They can then spend May building up some basic pipelines and doing things like concept/prototyping to figure out what kind of game they're even gonna make. Maybe they strike gold and move into pre-production in June. They've still got to hire artists and animators and more designers and more QA, or hire outsource studios to handle that which is quicker but still takes time. Optimistically they move into production early fall and go from there.

The easiest comparison to this situation is Amazon, but Amazon went and at least acquired one existing game studio to try and jump start their process, and that studio STILL hasn't shipped anything. That was SIX years ago (although it is slated to come out in May and they made the worst decision a new studio can make, they chose MMO).

Any time a large corporate entity tries to get into game development there tends to be a long curve of growing pains. Also when you pull people who have spent years at big, established places like EA, Activision, Ubisoft etc and put them on teams of like 10 people where nothing is ready, there's a bit of culture shock for them. None of this is insurmountable, but it generally isn't immediate.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 12:04:54 AM by bluemax »
NO

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #675 on: March 10, 2020, 08:54:21 AM »
How is Google so bad at this?
dog

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #676 on: March 10, 2020, 01:25:48 PM »
How is Google so bad at this?

I'm pretty sure the anonymous indie devs in this article who won't port to stadia without kickbacks are the same fucking idiots who think Steam regional pricing is Valve trying to screw them out of money with sneaky firesales and who think that they dont sell as many copies of their retro inspired puzzle platformer as they think they deserve is because they think everyones spending all their money on $1 unity cashgrabs.

ie all the same :no1curr titles that were bigging up EGS for paying more than their games are actually worth and wanting more free undeserved sales money from google.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #677 on: March 10, 2020, 03:18:22 PM »
Same reason anyone puts their product on any storefronts - to maximise potential audience.
If porting costs are low enough - which given its basically just a *nix port but with reference hardware they really should be - even just a couple of hundred sales would pay for itself, and as and when the non-subscription version launches, are you more likely to buy (or double dip) on the $10 indie title to check out the service, or the $60 AAA?
:idont

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #678 on: March 10, 2020, 03:32:26 PM »
nah that's not how it works. if you run an unpopular service or storefront you pay companies to bring the games to your platform, you don't just sit around twiddling your thumbs and assume they want to spend money to be on your service that no one cares about or uses.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #679 on: March 10, 2020, 03:52:17 PM »
i feel ms are the model to follow for this one. they are tossing devs money upfront to bring games to xbone/gamepass and it seems to be working well as far as attractive devs and games to the system.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #680 on: March 10, 2020, 04:25:53 PM »
You can't seriously believe this is true.. porting a game to Linux with a new rendering API you probably aren't using (since they don't support OpenGL) costs "a few hundred" x's what, $9 max for an indie game?  lol.,..

At this point in time, using OGL is more of a PITA than Vulkan, and the time + expense on doing a stadia port gives you a *nix port 'for free' - which again, is in and of itself a marginal userbase, but at some point two marginal userbases combine to be worth the effort.
If Stadia users are buying games at all, there's all sorts of reasons to be a big fish in what is probably still a growing pond.

$10 indie title... = $3 revenue per sale.

AFAIK, its $7 revenue per sale...?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #681 on: March 10, 2020, 05:52:46 PM »
AFAIK, its $7 revenue per sale...?

Derp you are right.. still $7 x's a few hundred is pocket change.

Porting to Linux is a good point;  as you can release on Steam.. but it's still a big task, and a lot of indie's aren't going through with it now.. not sure why Stadia, with a userbase of likely well under 100k is supposed to entice.

Right now, the stadia proposition of 1) buying specific hardware and 2) requiring a monthly subscription fee isn't great, and its userbase is what it is accordingly.

But the promise it offers when they move out of soft beta is running whatever on whatever for the cost of the game only as your entry point.
That's basically an audience of anyone who owns anything running a Chrome browser as your potential audience.
If you're in the Top Ten Best Sellers now, you're also in that visibility window if and when "Hey, your smart TV is a console now!" news stories start up

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #682 on: March 10, 2020, 06:15:11 PM »
the flip side of that is google could decide to close down operations at any moment if it doesn't do well so that's a bunch of money down the tubes :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #683 on: March 11, 2020, 02:31:54 AM »
Google, so far, has killed plenty of fantastic things, but they always give substantial warning before doing so. People have time to get their data out, say goodbye, etc. I've sorely missed a few things they've killed, but none of them were suddenly GONE.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #684 on: March 11, 2020, 08:35:28 AM »
even so i feel like the possible shutdown of stadia is more annoying than any of their previous services mainly because there's nothing to take out of the service. for consumers i doubt they'll give everyone downloadable versions of the games they bought and for devs it'd be a waste of time and money working on the ports to the service.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #685 on: March 11, 2020, 04:37:12 PM »
The companies putting their games on there already have Linux ports,

...That they don't fucking release outside of Google's closed-garden. :maf

Destiny 2 working on Linux without Proton bans would be GDLK, but they fucking don't do it. #ThanksGoogie

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #686 on: March 19, 2020, 02:05:00 PM »

:neogaf
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #687 on: March 19, 2020, 02:07:03 PM »
how do we feel about stadia during this trying time

on the one hand all digital and bandwidth caps have lifted

on the other they're charging full price when people need to save money and governments are already starting to ask services to back off on the 4k content
 :hitler
Uncle

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #688 on: April 08, 2020, 02:12:29 PM »
https://blog.google/products/stadia/try-stadia-free-today

low key load testing for the free tier rollout imo

Tasty

« Reply #689 on: April 08, 2020, 02:57:20 PM »
I got a free code for being YouTube Premium and haven't even redeemed it lmaaaooo

For real though it's cause my internet is extremely shitty right now and I know I wouldn't have a good time. :/

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #690 on: April 08, 2020, 06:58:37 PM »
I haven’t heard a single game announcement for this since launch, is it even getting any new games? Or “new”(to the service) games?
WDW

bluemax

« Reply #691 on: April 08, 2020, 10:50:06 PM »
Looks like a few things last month maybe:

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-stadia-games-list-995367/

Also they're giving away 2 free months of pro: https://blog.google/products/stadia/try-stadia-free-today
NO

bluemax

« Reply #692 on: April 09, 2020, 01:22:30 AM »
Basically anything that either already used Vulkan for its renderer or was built on a third party engine that supports Vulkan.
NO

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #693 on: April 14, 2020, 06:16:03 PM »
Should have just released hardware that doubles as a TV box  :engel

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #694 on: April 14, 2020, 06:49:00 PM »
Should have just released hardware that doubles as a TV box  :engel

I still think the value proposition is pretty good, when they rollout their chromecast compression into chrome and can show basically as good looking games as PS5 XBXBX but without the $500+ price tag entry price
:idont

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #695 on: April 15, 2020, 08:25:13 AM »
You think there's going to be much in the way of PS5 / XBXBX exclusives from third parties for the first 2 years based on how this gen went?

AFAIK, stadia hardware is being pitched as being in the ~10tflops capability range, which is spitting distance of the PS5.
Maybe digital foundry pixel counters are going to want to pay $500 for slightly smoother framerates and slightly sharper resolutions, but we're already squarely in the realm of diminishing returns as the Switches ongoing success shows

Tasty

« Reply #696 on: April 28, 2020, 10:24:00 PM »

Will play Star Wars and FIFA on Stadia whenever they drop.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #697 on: April 29, 2020, 07:52:06 PM »
So Octopath came to Stadia apparently... for all the 8 (see what I did there :P) people who still play this.
^_^

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #698 on: April 30, 2020, 12:28:24 AM »
There is weird astroturfing going on with Stadia Youtube videos, yesterday when I saw their update it was all thumbs downs and shitty comments, now it's all roses and hearts

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #699 on: May 01, 2020, 06:32:13 PM »
Maybe when we finally have 5G I'll get Stadia  :chinacry

thisismyusername

« Reply #700 on: May 01, 2020, 06:35:59 PM »
There is weird astroturfing going on with Stadia Youtube videos, yesterday when I saw their update it was all thumbs downs and shitty comments, now it's all roses and hearts

>Google
>Owns the Youtube MySQL database.
>"Fishy."

:hmm :thinking

Is it Astroturfing when:

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #702 on: May 07, 2020, 01:08:56 PM »
Got the premium bundle for free via my ISP so I guess I’ll give this a shot.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #704 on: August 10, 2020, 07:04:19 PM »
gentlemen are you enjoying your stadia

I don't know if there's any real significant news

- stadia was absent from google's latest earnings reports

- apple has apparently gone to war against game streaming services and won't allow them on iOS

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08/apple-wont-let-stadia-or-xcloud-into-ios-citing-app-store-guidelines/
Uncle

thisismyusername

« Reply #705 on: August 10, 2020, 09:53:59 PM »
Apple pulled the same shit with Steam. They don't like people buying things that aren't through them. See: Amazon/Kindle-store.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #706 on: August 11, 2020, 01:35:33 AM »
It's worse than the Steam Link issue though.   

Apple is treating commercial game streaming services quit differently than anything else, including local streaming solutions like Steam Link.

MS / Google could remove any and all store references.. block any ability to buy DLC from the games, etc.. and Apple is still claiming they wouldn't allow them on iOS.

They are claiming they allow apps onto devices that don't go through Apple's vetting process... a made up excuse considering all of the other apps that bring content to iOS without Apple ever vetting said content... it's pretty obvious they are simply trying to kill off big companies from getting foothold into game streaming unless they give Apple a large cut.

Yup.

Modern equivalent of a protection racket.

thisismyusername

thisismyusername

« Reply #708 on: August 11, 2020, 04:09:55 PM »
Yes, and again: It's Apple being Apple. Did you read my article? "lol"

"Oh, they want to sell shit through their store? Fuck that, OUR store is what is gonna be the defacto on the phones for books."

Apple has a poor relationship with games, but they want to wall-garden EVERYTHING. I'm not surprised that XCloud and Stadia are facing the same shit Steam Link did.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #709 on: October 22, 2020, 12:42:30 PM »
Stadia lives!

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/10/young-souls-launches-first-for-stadia-in-2021-later-for-pc

spoiler (click to show/hide)
in before Stadia release is delayed then quietly cancelled
[close]
©@©™

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #710 on: October 22, 2020, 02:43:30 PM »
Anyone can play the Immortals Fenyx Rising demo right now for free:

https://stadia.google.com/store/details/6363b82d1cc442f5af9c3ce98ceb731drcp1/sku/371cce816e0d4af294733dc22bbc680cp

It's a BOTW clone that looks OK.

I mean is it a better BOTW clone than Genshin Impact? I doubt it
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #711 on: October 22, 2020, 03:14:47 PM »
Do I need to sign up? When I followed ur link I just got on the standard Stadia page
What

Hamarr

« Reply #712 on: November 10, 2020, 11:24:53 PM »
Looks like Google is giving away free units when you sign up for a free trial for YouTube Premium subscribers.  It comes with a Chromecast Ultra.  I got the link when I signed in to the YouTube app on my iPad earlier. 

Is Stadia shit?  I figure it is worth checking out for free stuff at least.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #713 on: November 13, 2020, 02:01:49 AM »
Stadia’s worth checking out.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #714 on: November 13, 2020, 11:13:32 AM »
It’s impressive tech, horrible marketing and business model.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #715 on: November 13, 2020, 11:20:21 AM »
There’s a whole warehouse full of these bundles no doubt. The deal is also going international next week. The new android tv chromecast doesn’t even support Stadia.

Tasty

« Reply #716 on: November 13, 2020, 11:35:02 AM »
There’s a whole warehouse full of these bundles no doubt. The deal is also going international next week. The new android tv chromecast doesn’t even support Stadia.

Yeah, that kinda annoys me.

I got one on the way now as well. I've previously cancelled a Founder's Edition and then Premium Edition orders before they were able to ship, lol. My internet here just isn't that great either, and I have two new Chromecasts that I can't even use this on unless I sideload... Until they add official support I'll have to have a dedicated Stadia TV with the Chromecast Ultra or something... Would much rather have a bundle with the new Chromecast lmao (and you think so would Google, considering the MSRP is $20 less, but they probably have a heap of Ultras sitting around...)

Tasty

« Reply #717 on: November 13, 2020, 02:02:24 PM »
I wonder what it would have cost to rip the Chromecasts out and re-package them for sale... and wonder if they debated that lol

The Chromecast comes in the box with the Stadia controller so it's not something they could just sell separately otherwise.

Gotcha. It's pretty much a "console in a box" then lol. Just the thin client version.

Stadia could be killer for local multiplayer, wonder if any games have taken advantage yet.

Tasty

« Reply #718 on: November 17, 2020, 12:49:47 PM »
Capcom ransomware leaks revealed Google paid $10 million for RE7 and 8 ports. The narrative that Googs isn't shelling out for content might not be accurate. :trumps

Beezy

« Reply #719 on: November 19, 2020, 12:45:00 PM »
https://twitter.com/VergeDeals/status/1329479803141906432

Google really wants to get rid of these things.