Author Topic: Genesis/Mega Drive Mini 1 and 2  (Read 25807 times)

Bebpo

So I asked this in the other thread, but how do you play SF2 on a 3 button pad? :o

Himu

So I asked this in the other thread, but how do you play SF2 on a 3 button pad? :o

You don’t.
IYKYK

Chooky

couldnt you press start to toggle between punches and kicks or something horrible like that?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Yup, i.e. unuseable

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I wish Rocket Knight Adventures would make it on one of these Genesis collections.

I don't understand why it gets overlooked so much. It's a great action game, one of my favorites from that generation.
dog

Chooky

made by the same team as bloodlines and hard core iirc and every bit as good as those, if not better. a gem.

Svejk

Classic Konami in it's prime.  :lawd

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:fbm
[close]

Himu

Imo it’s probably one of the if not the best action paltformers (rka)
IYKYK

Chooky

[close]

the other day i found out the director of the first 3 castlevania games got demoted because of low sales and eventually left the industry because of it. konami management has always been assholes apparently.

Himu

[close]

the other day i found out the director of the first 3 castlevania games got demoted because of low sales and eventually left the industry because of it. konami management has always been assholes apparently.

WHAT
IYKYK

Chooky

from shmupulations

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Isn't CV one of those series that was always bigger internationally than in its home territory? They could have been annoyed at the JP sales, and of course they also could just be inconceivably evil and stupid, this is Konami we're talking about. :doge
Hi

Chooky

yup, as far as i know it was international sales keeping the series afloat, especially in the iga years. but for those nes games, it seemed that management was mad other games weren't selling as well as that shitty ninja turtles title lol

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/5-cool-retro-castlevania-facts-you-didnt-know

Svejk

The final 10 Mega Drive Mini games will be shown on June 4th at 20:00 to 22:00 hours JST, supposedly.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
Flicky
Vectorman 5
Chakan
Greendog

paprikastaude

I'm hoping for Rocketknight because of this thread, though I'm not seeing it happen realistically. "Realistically" I want to see Aladdin, Monster World 4, Outrunners, Musha and, if you must pick more well whored-out ports, Phantasy Star 2, Sonic 3/K and Shadow Dancer.

Flicky
Vectorman 5
Chakan
Greendog

where's Sonic 3D Blast :snob
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 10:18:08 AM by Spieler1 »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
was trying to think of the most dogshit Genesis games lol.

Ecco the Dolphin
Golden Axe 3
Altered Beast

The games for the system were mostly good huh

Chooky

Desert Strike or bust

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー

Ecco the Dolphin
Golden Axe 3
Altered Beast

There are definitely some shit tier Genesis games.

Budokan, Dark Castle, X-Perts, Fantasia are absolute dogshit... The games you mentioned are lightyears better...
^_^

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
A lot of the first wave of EA games were total garbage.  Bad ports of PC games that weren't great to begin with.  Sword of Sodan is easily one of the worst games ever.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Sword of Vermilion
Crusaders of Centy
Light Crusader
Sorcerer's Kingdom
Warsong
Fatal Labyrinth
Shadowrun

That's all I'm asking for.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 07:50:36 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Bebpo

Ecco the Dolphin
Golden Axe 3
Altered Beast

Wait what. I played the shit out of Altered Beast in the arcades and at home as a kid and I remember Ecco being good?

Chooky

hey everybody check out this guy who likes altered beast but not yoshis island  :camby

Himu

This thing *does* need some Langrisser. Agreed on the Warsong, Rumbler.
IYKYK

Bebpo

hey everybody check out this guy who likes altered beast but not yoshis island  :camby

Yeah, that's me.

So wait, Altered Beast is actually a bad game? That game was almost as popular as Mortal Kombat 1 in the arcades. I can pretty much recall the first stage from memory all these years later. RISE FROM YOUR GRAVES.

Chooky

it's pretty notorious as a bad game that got a lot of attention because cool graphics and genesis pack-in

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
it's pretty notorious as a bad game that got a lot of attention because cool graphics and genesis pack-in

:huh
ど助平

Chooky

ok this is honestly the first time in my life i've come across people who unironically like altered beast sooooo wtf

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ok this is honestly the first time in my life i've come across people who unironically like altered beast sooooo wtf

It's not one of my all-time favorites or anything, but it was fun to play back then.  I wouldn't go shitting on someone for liking it.
:idont
ど助平

Svejk

First I've ever heard of peeps not liking Altered Beast in some form or fasion...  :larry

Bebpo

I believe you that it's a bad game, I'm just surprised because I've never seen it mentioned before but then I don't follow a lot of retro threads.

I feel like when you're a kid there's no such thing as good or bad games, especially in the early gaming eras. You just played what was there and if it was bad and bullshit you got used to it. I mean I remember the original Ninja Turtles 1 on NES being kinda bullshit especially in the water stages but I have no idea if it was a good or bad game.

Now I gotta go look up why Ecco is bad. In my 20 year+ memories I always thought Ecco was like the pioneer for all these ocean based action adventure exploration games like Aquaria. Next you're gonna tell me Toe Jam & Earl was bad too.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I dont think Judge Dredd is bad, have it on my snes classic. Snes rules
fat

Akala

• Easy Victor
Rocket Knight is great, would be a great inclusion. You always wonder why they never chase porting it, but hey, Konami. They did have that Climax re-do a while back, but the reviews were so middling I never even bothered.

https://imgur.com/uDA1jYw

Totally agree that back in the day we would kinda live with bad games, adjust to jank, whatever.

https://imgur.com/MtmhPjN

That said, being a nerd I generally knew what was supposed to be bad, but there were multiple occasions where (usually licensed) garbage would come out and sucker wide swathes of either the kids or their parents, and there went several weeks/months gaming budget. TMNT NES was such hot trash, that game somehow diminished multiple weekends for young me cause I couldn't get away from it. Everyone I knew had it, and everyone was stuck at like the exact same sewer part.

The Sunsoft Batman game was the same way, ET didn't teach the industry squat.

*edit* not sure why image broke.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 06:08:12 PM by Akala »

Himu

Altered Beast is trash.

Ecco fucking owns.
IYKYK

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
POWER UP
Hi

Himu

A lot of Genesis games that keep making these collections are overrated trash.

Shit like Golden Axe. The only Golden Axe worth playing is 3. 2 on a good day.

Too many Genesis "classics" are considered classics purely because of their style which was unique at the time such as Vectorman. Take that game apart and  you get an average game but it's considered a "classic". Another example is probably Comix Zone. Great style, but what a chore to play.

I won't even touch Sonic on this post.

Too many Genesis "classics" are only that because of style and not substance.

Super Nintendo makes Genesis its bitch. It hurts to admit it. I was a Genesis kid growing up, but a part of being an adult is admitting when you're wrong.

That's the best thing about this current MD Collection: the games they're picking are of the actual good games on the system. Not the required "classics" that are actually trash games.
IYKYK

Akala

• Easy Victor
Altered Beast I wouldn't say was trash, but it wasn't good either. The better controls/fun were saved for when you were a beast. It was great as an arcade game, it was always full.

It's iconic cause everyone had it due to being a pack-in.

Svejk

Altered Beast is trash.

Ecco fucking owns.
Ecco Sega CD owned even more.
 :ufup

Himu

Sorry, I was a kid who got one game a year. I never had a Sega CD. I loved Sega, but didn't like Sega that much. Sorry to burst your bubble. Never played Ecco CD or any Sega CD game beyond Sonic CD (trash) and Snatcher (great).
IYKYK

Akala

• Easy Victor
Literally no one thinks Vectorman is a classic, Cindi :lol :lol

I can see the point though, that junk and COMIX ZONE really are on all the compilations.  :lol

Himu

It's on the Genesis Collections and Sega considers it to be! :lol
IYKYK

paprikastaude

Company milking their property =/= classic :foodcourt Pretty sure everyone at Nintendo knows Iceclimbers is shit too.

Himu

I used scare quotes for a reason. :yeshrug
IYKYK

Himu

I hope Wily Wars is on this. Is that confirmed?

edit:

And tbh, there's a certain segment of people that DO consider Vectorman a classic. Search any best of Genesis list and it almost always shows up.

I just googled and found this.

https://www.destructoid.com/vectorman-possibly-the-best-genesis-game-is-now-available-on-sega-forever-509166.phtml

SMH.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 04:57:47 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
I hope Wily Wars is on this. Is that confirmed?

Yup.
ど助平

Bebpo

Rocket Knight is great, would be a great inclusion. You always wonder why they never chase porting it, but hey, Konami. They did have that Climax re-do a while back, but the reviews were so middling I never even bothered.

(Image removed from quote.)

Totally agree that back in the day we would kinda live with bad games, adjust to jank, whatever.

(Image removed from quote.)

That said, being a nerd I generally knew what was supposed to be bad, but there were multiple occasions where (usually licensed) garbage would come out and sucker wide swathes of either the kids or their parents, and there went several weeks/months gaming budget. TMNT NES was such hot trash, that game somehow diminished multiple weekends for young me cause I couldn't get away from it. Everyone I knew had it, and everyone was stuck at like the exact same sewer part.

The Sunsoft Batman game was the same way, ET didn't teach the industry squat.

Yeah, I'd was on that 1-2 games a year thing Cindi is talking about and I played Batman NES and TMNT NES for months along with Megaman 1-4. I still remember the pain of Batman NES.

Himu

Batman NES is great.
IYKYK

Svejk

Batman Genesis was such a massive let down after playing Batman NES.   :fbm

Himu

The worst case of "I can only get 1 game a year" and ending up with a dud was Earthworm Jim 2.

I love most of the game and then you get to this stage...

I was lucky I never ended up with anything worse than this. I'm very lucky because Bubsy interested me a lot back in the day.
IYKYK

Chooky

i dodged a lot of shit thanks to blockbuster rentals. thanks, dad, for letting my annoying ass rent a shitload of games.

still ended up asking for mario paint for christmas tho :(

edit: also it's cool that they're finally rereleasing wily wars, but it's kind of a shit game. lots of little sloppy things wrong with it iirc.

Himu

wily wars isn't better than the nes versions but  i still like it
IYKYK

Bebpo

i dodged a lot of shit thanks to blockbuster rentals. thanks, dad, for letting my annoying ass rent a shitload of games.

still ended up asking for mario paint for christmas tho :(

edit: also it's cool that they're finally rereleasing wily wars, but it's kind of a shit game. lots of little sloppy things wrong with it iirc.

Now Mario Paint is bad??

Stop ruining all my childhood memories!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
The fly game was fire
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

:brock

Totally forgot it was in Super Mario Maker, too!

ど助平

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
Dude they had a sample in Osaka you could look at (not playable ofc) and it was HOT BONERTOWN

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
in a shocking twist, there are now 42 games on the Mini

The last 10 games are:

- Road Rash II
- Strider
- Virtua Fighter 2
- Alisia Dragoon
- Columns
- Dynamite Headdy
- Kid Chameleon
- Monster World IV
- Light Crusader
- Eternal Champions

JP games:

- Columns
- Monster World 4
- Dynamite Headdy
- Assault Suit Leynos (aka Target Earth)
- Langrisser 2 (never released out of Japan)
- Alisia Dragoon
- Road Rash 2
- Slap Fight MD (never released out of Japan)
- Snow Bros. (never released out of Japan)
- Lord Monarch (never released out of Japan)

The two bonus games are

- Tetris
- Darius

Tetris apparently is super rare and only like 10 copies exist, while Darius was fan-ported to the Genesis (so never officially released) and M2/Sega picked it up to put on the Mini
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 09:27:25 AM by demi »
fat

Chooky

I think this might beat the snes classic, now

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Yes it's a really strong lineup or $80

People whining about no Ristar etc when you can just hack that shit (pending)
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Alisia Dragoon is a good one but did we really need Kid Chameleon, Eternal Champions, Columns, again? Would have loved to see the fan translation of Langrisser 2 on there instead.a
^_^

Svejk

We'll damn.. not a bad line up at all.  More hits than duds for sure