Author Topic: GRRM x From = Elden Ring  (Read 43991 times)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: GRRM x From = Elden Ring
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2021, 05:04:24 AM »
To be fair, Sekiro came out just over 2 years ago, so a 3 years gap isn't that crazy.

Their mistake was not only to drop a trailer for Elden ring a mere 2 months after Sekiro came out, but also show or say fuck all since then.

Svejk

« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2021, 07:29:21 AM »
Sony probably money hatted most of their crew towards Bloodborne 2.  :lucille

And lol @ GRRM ever finishing anything.

Still looking forward to this though.  They may drop a proper trailer this E3 with a "Coming 2022" splash at the end.  It better come before Dragon's Dogma 2 (1st Q 2023 according to leak), because it will be practically irrelevant to me then.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2021, 04:24:43 PM »
To be fair, Sekiro came out just over 2 years ago, so a 3 years gap isn't that crazy.

Their mistake was not only to drop a trailer for Elden ring a mere 2 months after Sekiro came out, but also show or say fuck all since then.
They're always working on multiple things at once. The DS3 DLC team has been working on Elden Ring since 2017.  Sekiro development started after The Old Hunters finished up in 2015.

The GRRM x From news leaked anyway, they might as well have officially announced it. *shurg*

Raist

« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2021, 03:51:58 PM »

Meh

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2021, 03:59:55 PM »
Cool designs, leaning a bit heavily on the dark souls stuff. But whatever, gameplay looks like it could be a bit of Sekiro about it as well. Graphically though... Ooof, this game is uggo.

Bebpo

« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2021, 04:02:59 PM »
It looks like Dark Souls IV with a horse.

Which is fine, as that's all I wanted. People complain that there's too many souls games, but there's not enough good competent ones, and no one else nails the creepy & interesting world lore with great macabre art design and memorable bosses like From Soft's games. Keep doing Souls forever From Soft. Hire a 2nd team if you want to do other genre, you can afford it with all these Souls bucks.

Bebpo

« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2021, 04:04:16 PM »
Also graphically it's a cross-gen at least semi-open world large fields game.

There was no way this would look as good as Demons PS5 which is a linear game only on PS5. It's fine.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2021, 04:10:35 PM »
Man this looks

a. Like a game made for the PS4
b. the art design is boring
c. gameplay doesnt seem that interesting

meh
What

Bebpo

« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2021, 04:12:04 PM »
Man this looks

a. Like a game made for the PS4
b. the art design is boring
c. gameplay doesnt seem that interesting

meh

:bolo

Them's fighting words

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2021, 04:13:06 PM »
Graphically though... Ooof, this game is uggo.

That's how it is when it's 2021 and you still gotta make new games run on hardware that came out 8 years ago.
dog

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2021, 04:15:15 PM »

That's how it is when it's 2021 and you still gotta make new games run on hardware that came out 8 years ago.

Well that and being an incompetent developer

Bebpo

« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2021, 04:16:11 PM »

:bolo

Bebpo

« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2021, 04:17:14 PM »
Look at PS2 era From Software games.

Look at Sekiro & Dark Souls III

From Software has come a long way as developers. Their games are pretty damn polished and well made.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2021, 04:20:28 PM »
They have come a long way, and that only speaks volumes to how badly optimized their first souls games were.

Bebpo

« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2021, 04:21:57 PM »
Also the graphics look fine.

Shit, it's like some of you are expecting western visuals from Japanese developers. Japan's visual style and what they prioritize in graphical development vs saving budget is stylistically pretty different. Look at RE8, at FF16, look at Judgment, etc... random high-res textures here and there, flat lighting, but bigger space, more variety in objects, more focus on character models.

they also don't have 600-1000 people working on these games like say AC Valhalla.

When I play new Japanese games I compare them visually to previous Japanese games and this looks about where things are in modern Japanese visual standards anything outside narrow linear levels. This doesn't look much worse than RE8 and has larger areas and more going on.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2021, 04:22:38 PM »
The game looks fine, more Souls than Bloodborne so probably not for me.
yar

thetylerrob

« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2021, 04:24:23 PM »
I mean it looks pretty rough but it's been in development for a long time so I'm not suprised.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2021, 04:27:12 PM »
Shit, it's like some of you are expecting western visuals from Japanese developers

Oh no. This is exactly what I expected from From. I am not all that bothered by it. Just dont think it looks very pretty.

Bebpo

« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2021, 04:29:44 PM »
One exception to my J-dev rant is Kojima. He's probably the only Japanese developer that either has the budget & team size (MGS games) or is technically and cares about the little details and textures (Death Stranding) where the visuals match up to worldwide $$$ games.

The game looks fine, more Souls than Bloodborne so probably not for me.

As long as it's not more Sekiro...

I just need a game I can complete with my old reflexes. Was happy to see MP phantoms in the trailer.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2021, 04:32:45 PM »

I wouldn't call them incompetent, they have tech issues, but they shit out relatively polished and content-rich games at an impressive rate.

Anyway, a bit disappointed by how close to a Dark Souls 4 this looks.  :-\
I think by the end of 3 i already started to get fed up, so i'm not sure how i'll feel 20 hours into this.

Shit, it's like some of you are expecting western visuals from Japanese developers

Oh no. This is exactly what I expected from From. I am not all that bothered by it. Just dont think it looks very pretty.
Monster design is their usual excellence.
everything else looks rather ugly though, both in texture quality and palette choices (those skyboxes are pure vomit).
But again, most of all i'm surprised by how close everything is to DkS, even the locations are basically straight out of that.

Sekiro was a much fresher departure, it seems.

Also basically G.R.R.M.'s involvement was basically: Get paid to get the name on the box, lol.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 04:37:28 PM by Don Rumata »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2021, 04:35:12 PM »

I wouldn't call them incompetent, they have tech issues, but they shit out relatively polished and content-rich games at an impressive rate.

It was a bit of a trollish comment. But fuck me, the state of Dark Souls 1 and 2 on pc.... and Bloodbournes frame pacing and chromatic aberration made me want to die.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2021, 04:38:40 PM »
Yeah but they got better, Sekiro is excellent on PC, you can even fully remap buttons, so i could map attacks to face buttons like a proper game, instead of their "shoulder button" nonsense.  :doge

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2021, 04:47:15 PM »
No ultrawide   :mindblown

But yeah, they have gotten a lot better.

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2021, 05:33:40 PM »
As long as there is no blighttown equivalent it’s all good as far as I’m concerned.

Himu

« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2021, 05:43:53 PM »
This looks fucking sick.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2021, 05:53:44 PM »
Sooner than I thought!  That'll be a Day Oner.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2021, 06:34:39 PM »
does look a little fugly, but im into the style and looks good enough in motion. so long as the ps5 version is a stable res and 60fps locked idc. sekiro is stable af and looks great so im sure this will be fine
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2021, 06:38:37 PM »
a lot of the monsters still look like they're made out of cheetos
◕‿◕

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #148 on: June 10, 2021, 08:40:42 PM »
No ultrawide   :mindblown

But yeah, they have gotten a lot better.
Odd that i didn't remember this, i have a 21:9 monitor, too.
I probably played mostly on the TV, or modded that shit in, since i played it with a bunch of mods (like switching Wolf's model with the monkey's one).

Rahxephon91

« Reply #149 on: June 10, 2021, 10:42:15 PM »
Thought it looked great. Open world Dark Souls 4 sounds pretty good to me.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #150 on: June 10, 2021, 10:42:16 PM »
As long as there is no blighttown equivalent it’s all good as far as I’m concerned.

I've got some bad new for you, my man...

WORLD EXPLORATION IN THE LANDS BETWEEN

ELDEN RING features vast fantastical landscapes and shadowy, complex dungeons that are connected seamlessly.

Traverse the breathtaking world on foot or on horseback, alone or online with other players, and fully immerse yourself in the grassy plains, suffocating swamps, spiraling mountains, foreboding castles and other sites of grandeur on a scale never seen before in a FromSoftware title.

Himu

« Reply #151 on: June 10, 2021, 11:58:33 PM »

ELDEN RING features vast fantastical landscapes and shadowy, complex dungeons that are connected seamlessly.

fuck yes make me cum baby
IYKYK

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #152 on: June 11, 2021, 12:33:57 AM »

I've got some bad new for you, my man...

WORLD EXPLORATION IN THE LANDS BETWEEN

Traverse the breathtaking world on foot or on horseback, alone or online with other players, and fully immerse yourself in the grassy plains, suffocating swamps, spiraling mountains, foreboding castles and other sites of grandeur on a scale never seen before in a FromSoftware title.

I didn’t mind the level itself, quite liked it when it ran at more than 4fps like it did on 360.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #153 on: June 11, 2021, 12:58:32 AM »
As long as you're on halfway decent PC or a next-gen console, this will be running great.

Himu

« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2021, 02:56:14 AM »
Yeah I have no clue why you'd being up blight town? That was ten years ago and they haven't made an area line that since and it was fixed in Souls remastered?
IYKYK

Let's Cyber

« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2021, 04:09:16 AM »
Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro are so awesome at 60fps+

Hell, Demon's 2020 can do 60  :lol Elden Ring might have a 120 mode for Series X

Svejk

« Reply #156 on: June 11, 2021, 07:16:25 AM »
I've watched the trailer 3 times now... Haven't done that in awhile.   :hyper  But I'm surprised they didn't even hint the stealth parts as shown in that prior leaked trailer... It should still have that... right? EDIT: Maybe that was the sliver of it at the 2:27 mark.

January seems like a strange month for release though... Are they trying to avoid some other monster holiday game release?  Horizon 2 and/or BOTW2?  If so, hell ..I'd put this up against those and have a full-on, open world, raw-dogged threesome.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 07:30:19 AM by Svejk »

Bebpo

« Reply #157 on: June 11, 2021, 11:32:32 AM »
Yeah I have no clue why you'd being up blight town? That was ten years ago and they haven't made an area line that since and it was fixed in Souls remastered?

Hell it was fixed in the PC release.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #158 on: June 11, 2021, 01:37:13 PM »
Looks great

I still have to play Sekiro, Dark Souls 3, NiOh, etc (The Surge?)

Where is Borys to cum

RIP Borys
fat

Let's Cyber

« Reply #159 on: June 11, 2021, 02:41:06 PM »

Svejk

« Reply #160 on: June 11, 2021, 04:11:13 PM »
I miss Borys and his detailed posts and screen shots.  :-\

naff

« Reply #161 on: June 14, 2021, 01:00:37 AM »

dark souls 3 has a big poison swamp too

tbh, farron keep does kinda suck. though i also like the extra care you need to put in here to not get caught by enemies that don't lose speed in the swamp while trudging through it. blight town is actually pretty good. farron keep isn't taht bad either, but it's definitely a cornerstone of the series and generally just a meme people complain about despite blight town etc being fine in the remasters
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 01:05:17 AM by naff »
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #162 on: June 14, 2021, 01:09:18 AM »
i love the literal depths that blight town takes you to. gives the world such a grand sense of scale while staying in the confines of the castle area. i feel like the area is not actually that hard though, tomb of the giants is much more of a pain in the ass.
◕‿◕

Let's Cyber

« Reply #163 on: June 14, 2021, 01:14:53 AM »
But I'm surprised they didn't even hint the stealth parts as shown in that prior leaked trailer... It should still have that... right? EDIT: Maybe that was the sliver of it at the 2:27 mark.
there is sekiro-style grass to hide in and a crouch button. Stealth is definitely in.

:success

Himu

« Reply #164 on: June 14, 2021, 05:10:46 PM »

dark souls 3 has a big poison swamp too

this is like complaining a platformer has a fire level
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #165 on: June 14, 2021, 08:38:07 PM »
https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2021-06-14-hidetaka-miyazaki-just-dropped-a-huge-amount-of-elden-ring-information

The Lands Between, which has been deliberately designed to give "an enormous sense of scale and this broadness and openness". It's split into six major areas, each of which is the domain of a demigod. These are lined up to suggest a specific order in which to tackle them, but the player can make their own decisions about which to do first. "You won't be able to access everything from the start, but there are a lot of different ways you can approach each area," Miyazaki explained. "And there's a lot of freedom as to which order you tackle different areas as well."
Players will be able to access a hub area a little later in the game, which you can "branch out from", and also the six main areas of The Lands Between. "These will be the domains or the areas of the main demigod bosses," Miyazaki explained. "From here, you're able to explore not only these mainline dungeon areas, but also a wide variety of catacombs, castles, and fortresses, which are interspersed throughout the map. These have a range of scale and scope, but the main dungeons are these six - these are the ones that you're going to be heading to on your adventures throughout the main world. "
In terms of gameplay, the player will be able to jump - which should hopefully help with dodging attacks from some of those massive monsters, and players will now be able to ride around on horseback (as the trailer suggested). New additions to combat include the ability to "summon the spirits of deceased enemies and use them as allies in battles," which Miyazaki described as just one alternative to simply going head-on. "So we have a number of elements that let you approach different situations at a high level of freedom," he added.
As for how you can acquire these abilities, Miyazaki mentioned that while some can be bought from stores or acquired from NPCs, they are generally "hidden throughout the game's world for the player to discover through exploration, rather than unlocking them through a skill tree as in previous titles."

Another difference from previous FromSoft titles (where skills and weapons were linked) is that players will be able to "freely interchange skills between a large variety of weapons" and also learn magic. And it sounds like there will be plenty to choose from, with 100 skills in total. "We think the build customisation is going to be even richer and even more varied than before," Miyazaki explained.
:mouf

Himu

« Reply #166 on: June 15, 2021, 05:58:08 AM »
https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2021-06-14-hidetaka-miyazaki-just-dropped-a-huge-amount-of-elden-ring-information

The Lands Between, which has been deliberately designed to give "an enormous sense of scale and this broadness and openness". It's split into six major areas, each of which is the domain of a demigod. These are lined up to suggest a specific order in which to tackle them, but the player can make their own decisions about which to do first. "You won't be able to access everything from the start, but there are a lot of different ways you can approach each area," Miyazaki explained. "And there's a lot of freedom as to which order you tackle different areas as well."
Players will be able to access a hub area a little later in the game, which you can "branch out from", and also the six main areas of The Lands Between. "These will be the domains or the areas of the main demigod bosses," Miyazaki explained. "From here, you're able to explore not only these mainline dungeon areas, but also a wide variety of catacombs, castles, and fortresses, which are interspersed throughout the map. These have a range of scale and scope, but the main dungeons are these six - these are the ones that you're going to be heading to on your adventures throughout the main world. "
In terms of gameplay, the player will be able to jump - which should hopefully help with dodging attacks from some of those massive monsters, and players will now be able to ride around on horseback (as the trailer suggested). New additions to combat include the ability to "summon the spirits of deceased enemies and use them as allies in battles," which Miyazaki described as just one alternative to simply going head-on. "So we have a number of elements that let you approach different situations at a high level of freedom," he added.
As for how you can acquire these abilities, Miyazaki mentioned that while some can be bought from stores or acquired from NPCs, they are generally "hidden throughout the game's world for the player to discover through exploration, rather than unlocking them through a skill tree as in previous titles."

Another difference from previous FromSoft titles (where skills and weapons were linked) is that players will be able to "freely interchange skills between a large variety of weapons" and also learn magic. And it sounds like there will be plenty to choose from, with 100 skills in total. "We think the build customisation is going to be even richer and even more varied than before," Miyazaki explained.
:mouf

Sounds ill.
IYKYK

Let's Cyber

« Reply #167 on: June 15, 2021, 08:14:21 AM »
This game is going to be so replayable, holy shit

:whoo

Svejk

« Reply #168 on: June 18, 2021, 08:46:05 AM »
GRRM straight up says "it's a sequel to Dark Souls".  :wut

https://twitter.com/EldenRingUpdate/status/1405624549564112899

Raist

« Reply #169 on: June 18, 2021, 09:31:49 AM »
Considering his involvement was most likely handing out one of the dozens half-arsed scripts for a SoIaF spin-off he's been writing to procrastinate on finishing the main story, I doubt he knows much if anything about Dark Souls. Or Elden Ring for that matter :lol

Let's Cyber

« Reply #170 on: June 18, 2021, 02:55:16 PM »
In terms of a follow up to Dark Souls, not a direct sequel in terms of plot.

to be fair, it clearly has a lot of Dark Souls DNA.

Svejk

« Reply #171 on: June 18, 2021, 04:16:11 PM »
In terms of a follow up to Dark Souls, not a direct sequel in terms of plot.

to be fair, it clearly has a lot of Dark Souls DNA.
Oh yeah no doubt, just sounded like his involvement was phoned in (which it probably was lol)... a high paid author probably could've chosen less confusing words.  :lol

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #172 on: June 18, 2021, 06:07:46 PM »
The gameplay/design actually sounds like a decent enough departure from Souls, despite obviously being close.
It's the visual design that's disappointingly close (from enemies, to environments, to armors/weapons).

On the bright side, it sounds like it'll have some good depth in the gameplay; Sekiro was fun and very different, but felt very shallow as an action game.

Svejk

« Reply #173 on: August 27, 2021, 05:36:22 PM »
 :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper
There’s an overworld map. Unlike older, more contained From Software fare that required players to memorize their surroundings, the massive scale of Elden Ring’s Lands Between warrants a full overland map, where they’ll be able to set markers to guide them to their desired destinations.

The Lands Between are dense and dangerous. Elden Ring features a lot of overworld travel, but not the sort where you can just set a destination and wander off to grab a snack. It’s a land filled with threats and discoveries, dotted with hand-crafted dungeons to explore and filled with dangerous creatures. Today’s previews speak of troll caravans and massive dragon attacks.

Dungeons, dungeons everywhere. The Lands Between or dense with dungeons. Not just the dark, dripping caverns one expects from a dark fantasy, but a wide variety of challenging fortresses covering many different biomes, like wintry peaks and underwater kingdoms. Along with these smaller dungeons, there are Legacy Dungeons, massive, intricate castles and fortifications meant to put your skills to the test for the promise of great reward.

Player characters, AKA The Tarnished, have many weapons at their disposal. Swords, archery, magic, and stealth are just some of the tools The Tarnished has to combat the threats encountered in the Lands Between. Some, like casting magic spells and firing arrows, can even be used while mounted on your Spirit Steed.

There’s a bit of platforming as well. Along with riding your trusty, double-jumping steed, the world of Elden Ring also features items like jump pads, similar to those found in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Expect to see your Tarnished hopping across dangerous terrain like a murderous little bunny.

Get help. Bring forth powerful allies from the ashes of the deceased to temporarily join your battles. Along with the ability to summon up to two additional player characters to your side in co-op multiplayer, you’ll also be able to summon AI-controlled companions, from traditional tanks and healers to small hordes of monsters.

Multiple ways to take on challenges: You come across an enemy stronghold. Do you storm the front entrance, taking on the enemy’s most powerful defenders, or do you sneak through the side door and stealth your way to your ultimate goal? Expect to see lots of fun videos of players overcoming obstacles in creative ways.

Familiar ground. While Elden Ring sounds like From’s most ambitious game yet, familiar features and mechanics will still be in place. Fast travel is there. There’s a young woman who helps players manage their stats as they power up. There’s even a hub world where adventurers gather before rushing off to get themselves killed.

The pot goblins might be your friends. The pot goblins, also known as the Pot Boys, have charmed players since their debut. The brave folks of FextraLife (via Patrick Klepek) used one of their preview questions to ask about the Pot Boys, and got the following response: “The Pot Boys … We hope that players can explore and find their own answers in regards to the Pot People. You are free to befriend them if you wish, but we can’t promise that you won’t have to smash them.”
https://kotaku.com/heres-all-the-new-elden-ring-news-worth-knowing-1847571910

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #174 on: August 27, 2021, 06:09:54 PM »
That all sounds great, but will bows still have PS1-era aiming controls?  :thinking
Margs

Himu

« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2021, 08:38:17 PM »
Fuck yes
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #176 on: August 29, 2021, 10:37:48 AM »
Western-looking fantasy irritates me and isn't what I was hoping too see for a few more FROM games. Yet still I hope Elden Ring is the game that finally takes the Zelda BotW formula to make it whole/good. I.e. by having none of that pesky Ubisoft icon overload/handholding just like in BotW, but also giving the world distinct dungeons and unique rewards for exploration instead of copy-paste-shrines, enemy camps and worthless loot.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #177 on: August 29, 2021, 11:39:21 AM »
I expect the open world parts to be wholly mediocre/serviceable, much like the stealth in Sekiro, but i also expect the dungeons to be on par with Dark Souls, so excellent.
And of course amazing bosses as usual.

Svejk

« Reply #178 on: October 18, 2021, 10:35:46 AM »
Delayed to Feb. 25th... Too much stuff coming out in Feb now, but this still takes top priority over others.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #179 on: October 18, 2021, 11:21:22 AM »
If that vid from yesterday is anything to go by, it needs delaying to Feb 2023 :kobeyuck
(ice)