Author Topic: GRRM x From = Elden Ring  (Read 44630 times)

Bebpo

Re: GRRM x From = Elden Ring
« Reply #300 on: February 25, 2022, 05:51:09 AM »
This game is way uglier than I expected. I feel like DS3/Sekiro looked way better but I guess open-world hits hard. Also runs so fucking bad on PS5. Gonna try playing the PS4 version in BC tomorrow.

Otherwise game seems cool. Got to the first real boss, and got my ass handed to me a bunch. Need to explore and level and upgrade a bit first. The first boss reminds me more of Sekiro than Souls in terms of moveset.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #301 on: February 25, 2022, 07:54:40 AM »
This game is way uglier than I expected. I feel like DS3/Sekiro looked way better but I guess open-world hits hard. Also runs so fucking bad on PS5. Gonna try playing the PS4 version in BC tomorrow.

Otherwise game seems cool. Got to the first real boss, and got my ass handed to me a bunch. Need to explore and level and upgrade a bit first. The first boss reminds me more of Sekiro than Souls in terms of moveset.

Looks pretty good on PC.  Character base models are mostly still ugly which seems to be a Souls staple.  Played it at 4K on my OLED with everything on the highest settings and it stayed at 60 FPS, but the stuttering issues people mentioned from previous versions are still there. 

It's a From game, so I expect some jank.
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #302 on: February 25, 2022, 08:56:13 AM »
Having some graphical issues (random black bar at top and lights flicker)  :(   Only got to play 30 mins last night.

Svejk

« Reply #303 on: February 25, 2022, 10:19:14 AM »
Not gonna have a chance to jump in for like another 13 hours.  :-\

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #304 on: February 25, 2022, 10:44:58 AM »
Playing in frame rate mode on Series X and performance has been pretty smooth, some pop in for textures and enemies, but smooth performance.

Visually it's way better than both Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro, regarding lighting, shadows, character models, everything almost. I've been playing Dark Souls 3 lately, and it's not even close to looking as good as Elden Ring.

Time of day and what's going on in the environment affects lighting and atmosphere a fuck ton. The game will look more washed out when it's overcast weather. I was not expecting weather and time of day to affect visuals as much as they do.
OH!

Tuckers Law

« Reply #305 on: February 25, 2022, 11:16:59 AM »
Frame issues and some graphical jank are a proper Souls experience, FROM delivers again :jeb

mormapope

« Reply #306 on: February 25, 2022, 11:59:49 AM »
From the few hours I played last night:

Ran away from a giant that caught up and chased me for a long time. Explored a swamp and fought a very fast and almost realistic dragon fly. A lil bit later, a very big enemy appeared and I ran away in fear and gittiness.

Got my ass kicked by the tree sentinel multiple times. After unlocking a new mechanic and changing to a longsword/greatsword, beat his ass swiftly. Found a dungeon and did enough of it to find a summon and cool ass stone boss.

The enemy variety, balance, combat flow and feel, rewarding loot/exploration, those few hours were better than all previous Souls games and the vast majority of action and RPG games.

Ive beaten Dark Souls 1&2, got through a lot of Dark Souls 3, and played a bit of Sekiro. From's games are usually 8/10's to me. Elden Ring is legitimately a masterpiece in design and artistically.

This is the game I've wanted since Dark Souls.
 :lawd
OH!

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #307 on: February 25, 2022, 12:12:18 PM »
Yeah, this def looks better than DS3. On native PS5 app and I can feel the framerate chug quite a bit. Not a gamebreaker for me but in a world where Demon's runs at a solid 60 and looks significantly better, the performance is disappointing but not surprising.

Put about an hour in, just running around to whatever caught my eye. Was eventually killed by a big poison plant after I ran out of estus. Poison seems to last quite a while now. Got the crafting kit but haven't figured out poison cures yet. Triangle to confirm is fucking with my head, as X to jump. I need to finish off my other games before I put too much time into this, the control scheme is just too different.

...But I can already tell this is going to eat up hundreds of hour of my time.

Edit: Performance really doesn't feel improved from the closed network test. Some of the item locations have changed tho.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 01:04:22 PM by Let's Cyber »

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #308 on: February 25, 2022, 01:05:38 PM »
If you boil this game down, it's super punch out with more variety.

Bebpo

« Reply #309 on: February 25, 2022, 01:28:24 PM »
Maybe it’s just the opening area. Idk looks like a PS3 game to me. The character models are fine, just the grassy fields environment with no lighting looks basic as hell.

I just think Demon Souls PS5 spoiled me. Also coming from Horizon 2, which is arguably the best looking game ever made, just makes it harder.

The fact the PS4 version looks almost identical sure says something. Only difference is grass density and slightly lower res.

*edit* Also I think it's a time & place thing. I remember actually being "woaaah" impressed by Bloodborne early in the PS4 gen (outside the chromatic abberation), really impressed by DS3 @ 60fps on PC at launch since it was Bloodborne quality but without the abberation @ 60fps, decently impressed by Sekiro because it was a cool looking nice meaty game with good Japan tenchu environments and sword effects.

I think if Elden Ring had come out like 2-3 years ago before the new gen of consoles it would've looked good/fine. It's just that 2 years into PS5/XSX it looks really, really dated off the bat. Then again I've played all of 1 hour in the opening grass area and castle gates and a cave so I haven't seen shit including time of day stuff.

Anyhow, time to boot up the PS4 version and see if I feel any different with locked 60fps
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 01:52:00 PM by Bebpo »

archnemesis

« Reply #310 on: February 25, 2022, 01:39:49 PM »
I've only played it for 20 minutes, but I too was surprised at how unpolished it felt. Hopefully they can sort out the performance issues. I'll try to play more of it tonight.

Bebpo

« Reply #311 on: February 25, 2022, 02:06:20 PM »
Ok, yeah on PS5 the PS4 BC version is the way to go. 60fps locked does go a long way. Looks last gen but not ps3. It’s a bit soft and aliased at 1800p but just looks like how souls games typically look outside Sekiro which I think looked the best and most detailed.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #312 on: February 25, 2022, 02:38:37 PM »
https://twitter.com/RaymondTracing/status/1496766736124710912

If From Software released a Souls game every 3 months, then we'd have a problem.
©@©™

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #313 on: February 25, 2022, 03:21:39 PM »
Which ones were even repeat formula?

It's insulting that they'd compare the dense curated content of a Souls game with the Ubisoft copy paste formula. It's as if one is not the same as the other.

Beezy

« Reply #314 on: February 25, 2022, 04:30:56 PM »
Are there any PC/console comparisons out there?

Bebpo

« Reply #315 on: February 25, 2022, 07:14:21 PM »
So I am dumb because I'm not reaaaally playing this yet and just messing around to get a feel for it before I go back and finish up Horizon 2 which at the rate I'm progressing is gonna be about 100 hour clear (Original Horizon + Expansion was only 62 hours, so yeah H2 is a fucking huge Skyrim-ass game) so a few more weeks in that game before I sit down and really play Elden.

I've explored around a tiny bit, but mostly just got to boss #1 with two different builds on PS5 (melee) and PS4 (magic). I've only gained like 1 level and have zero weapon upgrades, starting armor and I don't know how to use my summon spirits I've collected. Even with basically a naked starting run I'm getting the hang of this guy and getting to his 2nd phase. What's the best way to gear up at the start for this fight? I do piddly damage and so it's just a long ass fight and I mostly take hits at close range when the guy seems to never stop slashing. I can dodge his ranged stuff (dash in and swing x 2 -> tail swipe; leaping easy dodge move) and get a few hits in consistently but he keeps switching up which combo he does at a close range after a windup staff swing so having some trouble there. Sometimes he immediately goes into short dagger slashes x 2-3, sometimes he does a few wide range swings after. I also die in 2 hits with these builds.

When I get back to this, need to take my time and start exploring and gaining some levels and weapon upgrades to make this fight a bit easier. Seems like a pretty stonewall first boss. Can't imagine recommending this game to anyone that hasn't played through a Souls game before. I think DeSo has the best intro with Phalanax being a joke and good 1st Souls boss and Tower Knight good 2nd Souls boss to start to get the hang of things.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #316 on: February 25, 2022, 08:59:19 PM »
I beat a cool dog boss (?) and just got my horse. 

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #317 on: February 25, 2022, 09:19:50 PM »
Game is amazing and looks insane at 4k in HDR on PC

Stuttering is fucked up though so I hope FROM fixes that shit
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #318 on: February 25, 2022, 09:20:16 PM »
I beat a cool dog boss (?) and just got my horse.

That one fast attack he does is very annoying it took me quite a few tries.

What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #319 on: February 25, 2022, 09:32:32 PM »
I heard the starting area before the castle is like 5% of the map  :lol :o
What

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #320 on: February 25, 2022, 11:12:47 PM »
Beat the wolf-man mini boss in one go   :klob

Bebpo

« Reply #321 on: February 26, 2022, 12:53:44 AM »
These bosses after The Fell? Any tips for that guy?

« Reply #322 on: February 26, 2022, 01:00:27 AM »
beat miss margit and decided to go back and explore the other parts of the map. found some dragons and some items to get extra flasks. 10/10

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #323 on: February 26, 2022, 06:02:19 AM »
If you wanna see a streamer who's never played a Souls game before fumble with the game for 7 hrs check out docs stream (he didnt like it lmao)

What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #324 on: February 26, 2022, 07:26:53 AM »
Margit was one hard fucker, had to resort to summoning that npc dude
What

Svejk

« Reply #325 on: February 26, 2022, 10:24:46 AM »
Ok, yeah on PS5 the PS4 BC version is the way to go. 60fps locked does go a long way. Looks last gen but not ps3. It’s a bit soft and aliased at 1800p but just looks like how souls games typically look outside Sekiro which I think looked the best and most detailed.
Damn.. now I'm torn whether I should try this or not. Played for a about 3 hours on the PS5 version. (And an hour creating a character, as usual)  I'd hate to start over not knowing whether or not they're gonna patch it sooner than later.   I do want more vegetation and better res and lighting occlusion if possible, but I want the frame rate priority too...  :-\  Wish it would let me bounce between versions with the same save file.  I need to make a decision before tonight... Dumb Delivery ftw, I guess :cat The cross-gen this era has been the most infuriating.  Guess it's not going to get any better, unless devs stick with one or the other...

Edit: I suppose at this point, it's sounding like I should suck it up and start over with the PS4 version. ..ugh.  Guess it'll take me less time to create a character again and catch up... Wish I screen shot my character creation settings.. would save me a good bit of time. At the same time, I did question my tattoo color and placement.. I'll probably still spend an hour creating... I can't help it..
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 11:41:44 AM by Svejk »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #326 on: February 26, 2022, 12:03:57 PM »
The first boss is hard.  :(  Also, some lady gave me a hug and said I felt warm. 

Bebpo

« Reply #327 on: February 26, 2022, 12:53:48 PM »
Damn.. now I'm torn whether I should try this or not. Played for a about 3 hours on the PS5 version. (And an hour creating a character, as usual)  I'd hate to start over not knowing whether or not they're gonna patch it sooner than later.   I do want more vegetation and better res and lighting occlusion if possible, but I want the frame rate priority too...  :-\  Wish it would let me bounce between versions with the same save file.  I need to make a decision before tonight... Dumb Delivery ftw, I guess :cat The cross-gen this era has been the most infuriating.  Guess it's not going to get any better, unless devs stick with one or the other...

Edit: I suppose at this point, it's sounding like I should suck it up and start over with the PS4 version. ..ugh.  Guess it'll take me less time to create a character again and catch up... Wish I screen shot my character creation settings.. would save me a good bit of time. At the same time, I did question my tattoo color and placement.. I'll probably still spend an hour creating... I can't help it..

I mean, you can just try the ps4 version for 20 mins and decide whether it's worth starting over for the framerate difference.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #328 on: February 26, 2022, 01:50:18 PM »
Went exploring, got trapped in a mine for an hour.  Thought I had to beat the boss to get out and started to get scared I fucked up bad.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #329 on: February 26, 2022, 06:18:28 PM »
What

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #330 on: February 27, 2022, 02:40:03 AM »
Performance is OK on series X. Haven't played a souls game in a long time so I'm getting my ass kicked pretty bad. Need better gear ASAP

Svejk

« Reply #331 on: February 27, 2022, 04:23:31 AM »
Was about to start a new game in the PS4 version, when a patch popped up for the PS5 ver.  Gotta say, the patch did help stabilize the fps in performance mode... I wouldn't say rock solid 60fps, but it's noticably better.  Glad they dropped that quick.

Game is nuts.  At Sofria River area atm..  :crazy

« Reply #332 on: February 27, 2022, 05:25:33 AM »
don't take too many hugs from mommy. it lowers ur max hp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #333 on: February 27, 2022, 09:06:28 AM »
See a bear.  I fuck it up from horseback.  Makes me feel confident.   Overconfident.  See a bigger bear.  It runs me down even though I'm on horseback :dead

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #334 on: February 27, 2022, 10:05:34 AM »
Did one of those cellars with a chest at the end of them. Chest was trapped and it teleported me to an entire different region from Limgrave. The region it sent me to is completely fucked up.

Beezy

« Reply #335 on: February 27, 2022, 12:08:13 PM »

yikes

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

Polident Hive

« Reply #337 on: February 27, 2022, 12:35:15 PM »
Got my PS5 copy today and likely gonna exchange it for PS4. Not for performance reasons. Just, buying it on PS4 gives access to PS4 and PS5. PS5 is only PS5. Saves are a one way transfer from PS4 to PS5. ???

No real reason to get the PS5 version aside from the white strip on the case. DF video makes me glad I didn't go with PC, trying to stretch the 1060 further.

Svejk

« Reply #338 on: February 27, 2022, 01:08:52 PM »
Yeah, disc version, definitely wanna go with the PS4 version.  PS5 version updated yesterday though and it's noticably smoother with a more stable frame rate.. Patched way quicker than expected.  Swinging the camera around dense areas barely stuttered, if at all, from what I noticed.

Can't help but think of Baldurs Gate 1 music with Limgrave area music. Lol.  Haven't even tried the first main boss yet.. way too distracted exploring.  The random little things you come across are so cool and mysterious, like certain owls with glowing eyes at night.  And a random cemetery in the middle of a forest with 3 new enemy types.  It's taken me a bit to get use to the handling of going 1 to 2 handed, but I actually like the switching of triangle being tethered to it.  Feels natural now and the proper melding of Sekiro and DS controls.  It's gonna be hard to go back to other FS games after this.  I've seen nothing yet, but am completely enthralled by this game so far.  GOTY already.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #339 on: February 27, 2022, 02:12:11 PM »
The PC version definitely needs some updating.  Ran into an issue with my laptop where if i play the game directly on the laptop screen instead of on a connected display, it ran at 40 FPS.  This laptop can handle the game at max settings no sweat, so it didn't make sense.  It turns out that the game doesn't like the 165hz refresh rate and was defaulting to 40hz instead.  I had to add a custom resolution setting with 60hz as an option for it to run at 60 FPS.
:dizzy
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #340 on: February 27, 2022, 02:53:47 PM »
I've been slowly playing witht he pc settings and have fixed 80% of the issues.

Also I keep leveling up strength and endurance t like its Dark souls strength build.  no idea if that is what I should be doing.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #341 on: February 27, 2022, 04:05:49 PM »

BrokenVerses

« Reply #342 on: February 28, 2022, 01:25:06 AM »
Holy shit, the performance when fighting the Tree Sentinel is unreal lol. Other than that it's been fine and looks great.

mormapope

« Reply #343 on: February 28, 2022, 09:30:50 AM »
The combat on horseback is super fun, satisfying, and tight mechanically. The vast majority of games have really sloppy feeling vehicle or mount combat.

Two different swings timing wise for melee, being able to direct your attack to either side, double jump (right from the get go, no skill tree unlock bullshit ), and lock on combined with free camera control.
OH!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #344 on: February 28, 2022, 09:34:26 AM »
Ya its good.  It's still more sloppy than unmounted combat -- which is to be expected -- but this means that I keep spending so much time on horse that I get rusty for unmounted fighting.

mormapope

« Reply #345 on: February 28, 2022, 09:40:40 AM »

I've witnessed this as well, can't tell if it's the crucified corpses screaming.
OH!

Svejk

« Reply #346 on: February 28, 2022, 09:43:30 AM »
I was considering adding even more to dex because of the mounts.  On a dime, could literally run circles around the blue glowing horned dudes and hack them down in seconds, stamina allowing.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #347 on: February 28, 2022, 09:47:25 AM »
They do scream.  I killed a singular dog around one -- felt bad cause think it was guarding its crucified master.  We are also meant to feel bad killing the tortoises right? 

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #348 on: February 28, 2022, 10:52:23 AM »
You're killing the tortoises?

:jeanluc

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #349 on: February 28, 2022, 11:46:05 AM »
You're killing?

:jeanluc
©@©™

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #350 on: February 28, 2022, 12:33:39 PM »
Yeah going pacifist mode on the bosses is probably way better, just strike up a conversation with them
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #351 on: February 28, 2022, 12:40:11 PM »
Did they tie weight limit to some dumbass stat like Vitality in this one
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #352 on: February 28, 2022, 12:41:40 PM »

It's insulting that they'd compare the dense curated content of a Souls game with the Ubisoft copy paste formula. It's as if one is not the same as the other.

Curious what unique differences you found between Dark Souls 1 - 2 - 3
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #353 on: February 28, 2022, 01:00:13 PM »
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #354 on: February 28, 2022, 01:00:23 PM »
Did they tie weight limit to some dumbass stat like Vitality in this one

No enduranxe
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #355 on: February 28, 2022, 01:17:55 PM »
Great, DS3 was so dumb for that lmao
fat

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Uncle

archnemesis

« Reply #358 on: March 01, 2022, 03:05:32 AM »
When I first started it I ended up going in the wrong direction and was annihilated by boss encounters. In my second play session I found the beginner path and now I'm enjoying it a lot more. I haven't put many hours into Souls games in the last decade, but my experience from Demon's Souls was enough to handle soldiers, goblins, wolves, and other tarnished without dying once.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #359 on: March 01, 2022, 04:38:08 AM »

Curious what unique differences you found between Dark Souls 1 - 2 - 3

Great, DS3 was so dumb for that lmao

You're already pointing out stuff yourself. It's only repeat formula if you look at it in the broadest sense. It's about as dumb as going back to calling all fps games Doom clones.

Dark Souls 2 was the closest to the first game but felt extremely undercooked. The removal of the lighting engine resulted in one of the most flat looking worlds, also atmospheric effects were lacking. They tied something like I-frames to a stat. Something that's integral to the Souls combat system completely fucking over the feel of combat. Enemy hit animations were extremely undercooked. Half the time when you hit someone, the biggest indication of it actually doing something is the health bar going down. They decided to load the game with gank squads even though the combat is obviously designed for 1 on 1 combat.

Dark Souls 3 speeds up the gameplay significantly to the point it feels more like Bloodborne than Dark Souls. Except they forgot to add some of the mechanics that made it work in Bloodborne. The grace period in which you can get back your health. The quick dash. Weapons that are designed around the combat instead of just importing the Dark Souls 1 weapon set.