Author Topic: GRRM x From = Elden Ring  (Read 44013 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: GRRM x From = Elden Ring
« Reply #600 on: March 29, 2022, 08:31:38 PM »
Beat Morgott on the second try without taking a hit.  Only died the first time because after the cutscene he is right in your face and I tried to summon Mimic.  The gargoyle before him and the shade gave me like 8 deaths though lol.

Nuitangg

« Reply #601 on: March 29, 2022, 09:59:16 PM »
Finally beat the game.  Probably my favorite single player game ever even though it drove me insane at times.  Are they serious with these Bell Bearing Hunters? lol   Can't wait for the DLC. 

Coax

« Reply #602 on: March 30, 2022, 06:07:06 AM »
One-Eyed shield at +9 did 3.5k damage in a single hit to those death bird things :whoo

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #603 on: March 30, 2022, 12:06:57 PM »
And I just wish I had more time and energy to play this :( job is kinda all consuming right now
Before a From game drops, it's important to remember to quit your job, divorce your spouse and abandon your children.

:rollsafe
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Same boat. I really only have 2 days a week to dig in, still in the second area and feel like I'm way behind.
[close]

Svejk

« Reply #604 on: March 30, 2022, 02:54:17 PM »
And I just wish I had more time and energy to play this :( job is kinda all consuming right now
Before a From game drops, it's important to remember to quit your job, divorce your spouse and abandon your children.

:rollsafe
Same boat. I really only have 2 days a week to dig in, still in the second area and feel like I'm way behind.
[close]
Totally same boat too.. it's not just you all.  Friday and Saturday nights is all I get... starting at midnight usually.  :dead  I'll still be playing my first run well into Summer most likely. lol

Tuckers Law

« Reply #605 on: March 30, 2022, 10:40:07 PM »
Bless you skeletal militiaman ashes, allowed me to first try beat that Margit guy I keep seeing mentioned elsewhere in passing as a tough fight.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 09:15:53 AM by MMaRsu »
What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #607 on: March 31, 2022, 09:09:09 AM »
Be wary of prawn
©@©™

paprikastaude

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #609 on: March 31, 2022, 10:27:33 AM »
Harada: "Yeah I basically made Elden Ring, haha j/k....unless?"
©@©™

Svejk

« Reply #610 on: March 31, 2022, 01:30:27 PM »
Managed to sneak in an hour last night.  Started the Academy and made it to the next site of grace up the water lift after beating “Legacy of Kain” lol

Over the weekend, I did re-edit my character and saved it’s own profile.  It’s pretty awesome that you can literally make as many character creations you like for the file and swap them out whenever.  That’s a nice addition to character creation games.  However, I think the lack of a playable helmet toggle is lame at this point.  They let you do it in the menu to view only, but can’t play like that?…  Why even..???

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #611 on: April 01, 2022, 12:48:55 PM »
it's only a hunch, but I feel like some of the better helms/hats and to a lesser extent armours are intentionally ugly or at least odd looking so you have to make the choice between pragmatism and aesthetics
◕‿◕

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #612 on: April 01, 2022, 01:44:46 PM »
My character is so over-leveled I'm dumping levels into arcane just for funsies. 

Let's Cyber

« Reply #613 on: April 02, 2022, 10:02:44 AM »
Deep into Caelid now and geez do they throw tons of cool Int weapons at you. I've gotten a lot of good incantations but neat faith weapons feel really few and far between right now.

I'm considering just pumping str or int, it will open up so many weapon possibilities.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #614 on: April 02, 2022, 11:07:55 AM »
Ya feels like all the cool weapons need int.  I did strength/faith, and then dex and now arcane to try to be able to play with better weapons. 

Let's Cyber

« Reply #615 on: April 02, 2022, 03:04:00 PM »
Are there a lot more arcane scaling weapons later on? I could see trying faith/arcane.

« Reply #616 on: April 03, 2022, 06:55:55 AM »
Are there a lot more arcane scaling weapons later on? I could see trying faith/arcane.

Yeah, towards late game a lot of insanely good Arcane weapons. It makes blood loss build up faster so you can basically blow up enemies in a couple hits.

Polident Hive

« Reply #617 on: April 03, 2022, 02:41:16 PM »
Dex people seem to switch from Moonveil to Rivers of Blood for the blood loss and arcane scaling.

Nuitangg

« Reply #618 on: April 03, 2022, 03:06:42 PM »
I'd probably still be trying to finish the game if I didn't switch to rivers of blood.  Also, Carian Retaliation is hilariously broken.  :lol

therealdeal

« Reply #619 on: April 03, 2022, 03:24:44 PM »
went for waifu ending, all done :)

naff

« Reply #620 on: April 03, 2022, 04:04:38 PM »
I'd probably still be trying to finish the game if I didn't switch to rivers of blood.  Also, Carian Retaliation is hilariously broken.  :lol

have they still not patched the latter?  :lol
◕‿◕

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #621 on: April 03, 2022, 06:05:28 PM »
it's only a hunch, but I feel like some of the better helms/hats and to a lesser extent armours are intentionally ugly or at least odd looking so you have to make the choice between pragmatism and aesthetics

some real crazy big ol hats in this

Nuitangg

« Reply #622 on: April 03, 2022, 06:22:26 PM »

have they still not patched the latter?  :lol

Still working as of last night.  I imagine soon though.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #623 on: April 03, 2022, 06:57:35 PM »

Think about this scene all the time while playing. See so many phantoms wearin big ass crazy hatz

naff

« Reply #624 on: April 03, 2022, 09:48:55 PM »

Think about this scene all the time while playing. See so many phantoms wearin big ass crazy hatz

everyone wears the preceptors hat because it good
◕‿◕

Coax

« Reply #625 on: April 04, 2022, 09:57:37 AM »
Beat the other Draconic Tree Sentinel with the Fingerprint shield and a spear and continuously poking  :teehee The beefy shield made all the difference. Unless right beside him he'll just spam his long range spells which became annoying to avoid.

Also while at first I was dissuaded by the trivially interruptible cast time of the Scarlet Aeonia spell I've found it useful in a couple fights when you have enough distance. Does decent DPS over time.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #626 on: April 04, 2022, 11:54:41 AM »

some real crazy big ol hats in this

Pumpkin Head helm :rejoice
©@©™

« Reply #627 on: April 05, 2022, 01:36:41 PM »
finished the game at around 95 hours, then zoomed through journey #2 and now am about to start journey #3. i thought i would go slowly and try to get 100% completion but i accidentally killed patches already  :-\

Tuckers Law

« Reply #628 on: April 06, 2022, 11:21:29 AM »
Mad tongue albrich is a fuckin bitch.  Infinidodgeroll spamming little bitch, fuck you.

Svejk

« Reply #629 on: April 06, 2022, 11:55:43 AM »
I've had only 3 hours of play the past 10 days...
[close]

Tuckers Law

« Reply #630 on: April 06, 2022, 12:03:04 PM »
All I do while at work is think about playing Elden Ring.

therealdeal

« Reply #631 on: April 06, 2022, 12:52:51 PM »
step it up and play at work

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #632 on: April 06, 2022, 11:39:21 PM »

Coax

« Reply #633 on: April 07, 2022, 01:28:15 AM »
TIL people farm runes AFK using PvP where their character is in hard to reach or out of bounds locations so the opponent kills themselves/leaves and the AFK'er gets runes as a result.

Thing is, from what I've read the rune pay-out is a percentage dependent on the 'defeated' player's level is and some other variables. Some have seen such farmers with as few as 7k runes when they kill them. Additionally some have seen such AFK'ers respond quickly to player attacks... so they're still by their system anyway :wtf

Like, if the goal is to be able to quickly level just use a decent PvE farming spot and enjoy some of the combat and test weapons. If the goal is to be overleveled for PvP then it's self-defeating since there are diminishing number of players for PvP matchmaking beyond a certain level. I could maybe understand if it were for late-game smithing stones for upgrading weapons but realistically how many weapons do they need to level? It doesn't cost that much anyway relative to how quickly runes can be obtained.

... Also some are on PC where they could just use cheats  :lol

Snoopycat_

« Reply #634 on: April 07, 2022, 11:40:56 AM »
What grinds my gears are people who summon you for boss fights then hide in a corner and don’t make any attempt to fight. I’ve gotten so pissed off with it I started getting the boss’s health almost done then I go stand in the corner next to them. The hate mail is hilarious

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #635 on: April 07, 2022, 12:49:19 PM »
To help cowards is the burden of true Tarnished. 

Let's Cyber

« Reply #636 on: April 07, 2022, 12:55:35 PM »
What grinds my gears are people who summon you for boss fights then hide in a corner and don’t make any attempt to fight. I’ve gotten so pissed off with it I started getting the boss’s health almost done then I go stand in the corner next to them. The hate mail is hilarious
I was helping a guy run Stormveil castle in co-op and we ran into a putrid tree spirit. Both of us are low on estus but I'm like fuck it, i'll do the best I can and see what happens.

After around maybe 2 minutes, I have it down to less than 20% of its total health and only took one hit but I'm out of healing. I'm feeling pretty good about this and realize we can actually win.

Me: Dude, we can do this. Just keep it up!
Guy: ...what?
Me: The boss is almost dead, just keep attacking!
Guy: I took the ladder up a few minutes ago. Are you still fighting that thing?

:existential

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #637 on: April 07, 2022, 01:16:18 PM »
I've had only 3 hours of play the past 10 days...
[close]

I feel you.
:stahp
ど助平

Snoopycat_

« Reply #638 on: April 07, 2022, 07:37:58 PM »

After around maybe 2 minutes, I have it down to less than 20% of its total health and only took one hit but I'm out of healing. I'm feeling pretty good about this and realize we can actually win.

Me: Dude, we can do this. Just keep it up!
Guy: ...what?
Me: The boss is almost dead, just keep attacking!
Guy: I took the ladder up a few minutes ago. Are you still fighting that thing?

:existential

I got summoned earlier and one of the guys had a jellyfish shield. It looked cool as fuck so as soon as we'd finished I Googled it. I expected it was going to be locked behind some boss fight but surprisingly, it's super easy to get.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #639 on: April 08, 2022, 09:55:25 AM »
Thought I was good, then normal enemies start kicking my ass again :(

Coax

« Reply #640 on: April 08, 2022, 10:30:36 AM »
World record speedrun (using glitches) now 12 minutes 32 seconds. Only one boss is needed to be fought (in Crumbling Farum Azula) using the latest method and it's remarkable given how underleveled they are at level 12 and the pressure of getting an entire run correct (the prior record holder a few days ago had a damageless run of the same boss, at level 23).

Tuckers Law

« Reply #641 on: April 08, 2022, 05:43:13 PM »
My mind while at work today:

My mind as soon as I get home and fire up Elden Ring:

Coax

« Reply #642 on: April 10, 2022, 08:55:30 AM »
Beat the final boss. Good challenge.

Unbelievably when both the boss and I had the same sliver of health left it got me in its grasp... thought I was done for yet by some miracle I was still alive after it let go and immediately following received the defeated screen :mindblown  :ohhh

I'm thinking it may have died to a couple slashes by my Mimic before the final damage hit me so the game left me with my original health pre-grasp.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #643 on: April 11, 2022, 11:44:09 AM »
To get all the endings

I have use myself as kindling, but this can be reveresed?  Is there any chance to fuck up the reversal quest?
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #644 on: April 11, 2022, 01:06:23 PM »
To get all the endings

I have use myself as kindling, but this can be reveresed?  Is there any chance to fuck up the reversal quest?
[close]

You don't have to do that to get all the endings.

You can save Hyetta's questline until after Melina has already burned the Erdtree, and still get the Flame Frenzy ending. I didn't do it until after I'd already beat the Elden Beast.
[close]
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #645 on: April 11, 2022, 01:44:22 PM »
Oh i have to do Hyetta's questline to get the ending?  I can't do that cause it's bugged out for me :(  I can't get the invasion at the church to happen.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #646 on: April 11, 2022, 02:11:39 PM »
Oh i have to do Hyetta's questline to get the ending?  I can't do that cause it's bugged out for me :(  I can't get the invasion at the church to happen.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can still do it even if Hyetta is bugged, just by going to the final area of her questline.

The area beneath the Subterranean Shunning Grounds, behind Mohg's altar.
[close]
©@©™

Coax

« Reply #647 on: April 11, 2022, 02:16:01 PM »

It's not necessary for the...

Frenzied Flame ending from what I've read. The only condition is you obtain the mark from the Fingers underground. I did that before even beginning Hyetta's questline (which I completed following).
[close]

As for what you asked earlier you'll need to (spoilered separately since it gets quite specific). I've done this. Also it can be done at any point provided the conditions are met.

Edit: an alternative would be to keep a separate save file before or after the final boss and then get the FF than trying to reverse it if you can't be bothered with the process. Initially I'd thought you'd already gone through with it.

- Follow Millicent's questline. This requires meeting her at the church behind the Sellia town after interacting with Gowry at his shack in Caelid. After encountering her along the way a few times it culminates at the end of her questline with a choice to assist her in the Haligtree area, where you'll see two summoning signs (there's a gold and red one, choose the gold one). You'll receive an item.

I'd imagine you can begin her quest at any point and she'd just wait at the same locations or skip some, like other NPC questlines, though I'm not 100% certain.

- Then beat the Malenia boss and interact with the object left there to receive another item.

- Then beat the Placidusax dragon in the late-game area and use the item from the post-Malenia fight. It's doing this that reverses the Frenzied Flame mark (the scars will still show but can be hidden via the mirror in Fia's room in Roundtable Hold). To get to the boss it's best to look up a location guide once you're in Crumbling Farum Azula since it's an obscure process to get there.

Note that the item must only be used while in the dragon boss arena but the reversal can be done at any point (just remember to touch the site of grace in that dragon arena since you can't get back there otherwise). You can even reverse the mark after beating the final boss afaict (you can rest at the site of grace and do whatever before choosing an ending you've unlocked).
[close]
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 02:33:59 PM by Coax »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #648 on: April 12, 2022, 03:22:01 PM »
I do wonder what exactly GRRM's contribution was.

Because everything screams Dark Souls with a touch of Bloodborne (/Lovecraft).

I'm guessing he took his sweet ass time, FromSoft just said fuck it and went ahead.

naff

« Reply #649 on: April 12, 2022, 06:07:41 PM »
he wrote high level lore / character stuff, finished before dev started. messy civil war between gods has his fingerprints all over it
◕‿◕

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #650 on: April 13, 2022, 06:07:18 AM »
I imagine he scribbled: "The Loathsome Dung Eater" on a paper napkin and that's all he did.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #652 on: April 13, 2022, 06:57:15 PM »
messy civil war between gods has his fingerprints all over it

Have you heard of Dark Souls? :lol

Rahxephon91

« Reply #653 on: April 14, 2022, 12:38:23 AM »
I’ve been playing this primarily in co-op with a good friend.

It really does feel like most pure video game adventure ever.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #654 on: April 14, 2022, 08:51:12 AM »
Thought you weren't feeling the game. The co-op friend acting as a good guide?

Svejk

« Reply #655 on: April 15, 2022, 10:35:12 AM »
Snagged some time last night to get to the big bird rune farm.  Took only the 3 invasions to accomplish and made it.  I got slaughtered quickly in the invasions though.  Each one had co-op of 2 or 3 players, so I had no chance, but whatever.  Went ahead and boosted my lvl to about 85 and got to where I could use the sword of N&F.  Will probably continue farming some more to boost my hp and endurance...  We'll see.    This reminds me of Witcher 3, I exploited a glitch that leveled your character up quick just by running back and forth on a certain path that triggered xp.  Wanted to hit this up before it gets patched too...   

I just happen to be where I was looking for the Ronin guy when I started the invasions, and when I did my first invasion, it triggered into his quest and it happened right there instantly.  Not sure if a glitch or not, because the guy wasn't there initially, but I got the Raptor of Mist ash.... Now, I just need to figure out how to use it.  :lol

Tuckers Law

« Reply #656 on: April 15, 2022, 12:32:38 PM »
That rune farm is dope, bless that stupid bird.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #657 on: April 15, 2022, 04:44:41 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #658 on: April 16, 2022, 08:16:32 AM »
goddamn it, I missed picking up the Bolt of Gransax and now I can't :(

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot