Author Topic: E3 2019 Thread - Nintendevolver wins again, baybee!! 20 years in a row!!  (Read 89904 times)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: E3 2019 Thread - Nintendevolver wins again, baybee!! 20 years in a row!!
« Reply #1260 on: June 14, 2019, 02:16:15 AM »
It's like I'm taking crazy pills or something.

Out of the three, Sony still has the most diverse output in terms of genres but also stuff that hasn't been around for 3 decades.

MS is Halo Gears Forza Halo Gears Forza, Ninty is Mario Zelda Pokemon Mario Zelda Pokemon.

The fuck are you guys talking about.

edit: granted, this gen they've had a weaker output on that front, but arguing it's just "dad simulator" is quite funny when that applies to basically TLOU and GoW reboot.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #1261 on: June 14, 2019, 04:44:07 AM »
I wonder if that Switch slime controller is going to gradually melt over the years just like with what happened to my ps2 slime controller.

Svejk

« Reply #1262 on: June 14, 2019, 07:56:24 AM »
OK, I gotta get that $30 PS1 Classic set up with all this good shit and relive the glory days.
If only PS4 offered PS1 game on PSN...

Let me tell what' I'd get....

Motor Toon Grand Prix, Omega Boost, Syphon Filter 1, 2, 3, Twisted Metal 1 & 2, Warhawk, Sly Cooper, Ape Escape, Fantavision, Jumping Flash, Parappa/Lammy, Vib Ribbon, SOCOM, Wild Arms, Devil Dice, Tomba, Ghost in the Shell, Wipeout XL, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, FUCKING Alundra, Brave Fencer Musashi, Rival Scools, Tobal No. 1, Tekken 3, Resident Evil, 1, 2, 3, SotN, Soul Blade, Vagrant Story, Tomb Raider 1, 2, 3, Soul Reaver, GT 1 & 2, Xenogears.. YOU NAME IT!!!

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #1263 on: June 14, 2019, 08:19:06 AM »
Find some hobbies you fukkkkin nerds
dur

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1264 on: June 14, 2019, 08:21:58 AM »
This is my hobby

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1265 on: June 14, 2019, 09:31:19 AM »
Look at this lineup for the rest of the year. What the fuck

fat

Svejk

« Reply #1266 on: June 14, 2019, 09:35:59 AM »
We are the fortunate ones    :)
 :rejoice

Himu

« Reply #1267 on: June 14, 2019, 09:51:29 AM »
Find some hobbies you fukkkkin nerds

???

I watch films, listen to/play music, and play video games. Video games happens to be one of my hobbies.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1268 on: June 14, 2019, 10:27:08 AM »
Seeing everyone suddenly go to bat for Nintendo against Sony of all companies

Tasty

« Reply #1269 on: June 14, 2019, 10:28:50 AM »
Sending good vibes to Rahx though, you do you buddy

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1270 on: June 14, 2019, 10:37:41 AM »
Cuphead shits over every 2d platformer Nintendo made since the Wii, which all feel stale and lazy and made up the majority of their content for like the whole last generation (and I sadly bought too many of them). Bloodborne shits over every action adventure and RPG Nintendo made the past generations. Soon the superior Kart game gets a remake. Didn't even play the og Crash Kart until a few years ago and was shocked that Nintendo not only stole ideas from it, but the game was better than MK. They've been beaten badly quality-wise and in ambition, unless nostalgia is the most important factor to you. They almost killed the Mario series with generic trash before Odyssey came along. Where's past diversity on par with titles such as F-Zero, Metroid, Sin & Punishment, Hotel Dusk, Mother, Excite Truck, Wave Race, etc. - it's gone.

Yo for real this post is ass
püp

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1271 on: June 14, 2019, 10:46:29 AM »
Seeing everyone suddenly go to bat for Nintendo against Sony of all companies

(Image removed from quote.)

I mean, don't get it twisted. Most of Nintendo's games I still don't care for but saying they're shit is absurd.
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1272 on: June 14, 2019, 10:49:16 AM »

:rejoice
dog

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1273 on: June 14, 2019, 10:57:06 AM »
if only nintendo could put out instant classics like the order or driveclub :'(

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1274 on: June 14, 2019, 10:59:33 AM »
It'd be nice if they put Contra and Super C on their crap NES Netflix thing though.

BisMarckie

« Reply #1275 on: June 14, 2019, 11:00:02 AM »

Driveclub is a good game.  I will never budge from this position. :hmph
No racing line, no car buying, no tuning. Just pure racing and it still looks amazing. :aah

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1276 on: June 14, 2019, 11:07:35 AM »
I'm actually going to use my Switch this year. I should probably blow the dust off it and get prepared
fat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1277 on: June 14, 2019, 11:27:16 AM »
I don’t think Nintendo really presented anything mind blowing.  Seems like a pretty by the books presentation and year for them.

What I AM happy about however is just the AMOUNT of fun shit to play on the Switch this year.  I have a game or two picked out for each month the buy for my Switch.  That fucking never happens for a Nintendo console.
püp

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1278 on: June 14, 2019, 11:42:28 AM »
I like some Nintendo stuff, some Sony stuff and some Microsoft stuff.

But I spend the vast majority of my time on 3rd party games.   My favorite games are big open world loot-y RPG-lite type games, followed probably by Diablo clones, followed by military shooters (think Wildlands.) 

None of the big 3 really make games that satisfy those itches fully.   However liking at least some of their stuff makes for an expensive hobby lol, especially since my main thing is PC gaming.   And my wife plays + we play together so we have multiple of every machine type other than Switch.

More on point though:  I am not remotely blown away by what Nintendo presented this week.  And I really don't even "get it" lol.  Feel like I'm reading a bi-polar's person having a manic high episode when I read Cindi's posts for instance.

Tasty

« Reply #1279 on: June 14, 2019, 11:55:52 AM »
Honestly E3 this year was pretty tame. Nintendo seems dominant but IMO only because there's a vacuum with Sony's abstention.

In terms of shock announcements there's Keanu in 2077 and Banjo in Smash, but otherwise uhhh

I mean I know BotW2 was announced too but let's be honest about the current lack of hype around it.

Solid B/B+ event overall.

Himu

« Reply #1280 on: June 14, 2019, 12:00:00 PM »
This E3 is tame depending on your interests. For me it's an A.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1281 on: June 14, 2019, 12:01:22 PM »
everything is in a holding pattern until new consoles launch next year so it makes sense

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1282 on: June 14, 2019, 12:28:42 PM »

Yeah, I think during the Nintendo show I was like "definitely picking this up" for more than half the games. This e3 was great for lapsed/retro gamers and rpg fans of both the west and east.
^_^

Svejk

« Reply #1283 on: June 14, 2019, 12:30:50 PM »
The best E3 will be when Itsuno comes out and reveals Dragon's Dogma 2.  Everything else in life will be piss.   I will buy one of every console, max out my PC and/or subscribe to whatever game streaming service to have that game in my life.  I'll take all the fucks, Zero given.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1284 on: June 14, 2019, 12:34:53 PM »
Heh, I sent the first party gif to my girlfriend and she was like "that game looks awesome", not realizing they're different games  :lol
^_^

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1285 on: June 14, 2019, 12:37:26 PM »

Was Ys announced for September here or is that the Japanese date?
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1286 on: June 14, 2019, 12:50:29 PM »
I mean I know BotW2 was announced too but let's be honest about the current lack of hype around it.

I mean, it was one of the most watched E3 trailers this year, so there's definitely hype. But it's probably not coming out before 2021, though, which does temper things a bit.
dog

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1287 on: June 14, 2019, 12:57:15 PM »
Shenmue III going up against Death Stranding?

I'm sure this will go down well.

Got you covered bruv: Arms, 1-2 Switch, Cardboard Simul- I mean Labo.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1288 on: June 14, 2019, 01:00:52 PM »

Was Ys announced for September here or is that the Japanese date?

Japanese Date - I just pulled that image from twitter, I'm sure its even missing some releases
fat

kingv

« Reply #1289 on: June 14, 2019, 02:03:07 PM »
I'm actually going to use my Switch this year. I should probably blow the dust off it and get prepared

“Blowing on Nintendo items since 1986”

kingv

« Reply #1290 on: June 14, 2019, 02:16:58 PM »
Nintendo is a company I feel like you either like their games or you don’t.  If you enjoy one Nintendo franchise you probably will enjoy most of them, and if you hate one you will probably hate them all. They have a certain formula and only a few games deviate too far from it. Even if the game plays differently, they all have a light touch on story and are all kid friendly.

I feel like Sony has started to make games that increasingly all their exclusives are heavily narrative-driven and the gameplay is window-dressing to the story. I found Horizon, TLOU, all the uncharted games, Dad of War to all be games that played kind of shit. The stories were interesting, but didn’t really do anything exciting with the gameplay. Super high production values over top of average gameplay.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1291 on: June 14, 2019, 02:40:04 PM »
The aspect making BotW2 not that exciting so far, is that it takes place in the same map.
Exploring an unknown world is the best aspect of many open world games, and certainly of BotW, so now that you've lost that, you're going to have to build something really great on top of it to keep the interest alive (and i doubt it'll be the story).
Something they clearly haven't shown yet.

For me this was, in general, the worst E3 since those really awful ones back in '08 or '09.
I could count the games i'm more interested (because of what they've shown) on one hand, probably.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1292 on: June 14, 2019, 02:49:44 PM »
Nintendo is a company I feel like you either like their games or you don’t.  If you enjoy one Nintendo franchise you probably will enjoy most of them, and if you hate one you will probably hate them all. They have a certain formula and only a few games deviate too far from it. Even if the game plays differently, they all have a light touch on story and are all kid friendly.

I feel like Sony has started to make games that increasingly all their exclusives are heavily narrative-driven and the gameplay is window-dressing to the story. I found Horizon, TLOU, all the uncharted games, Dad of War to all be games that played kind of shit. The stories were interesting, but didn’t really do anything exciting with the gameplay. Super high production values over top of average gameplay.

I don't know how anyone could really 'hate' Nintendo games. Maybe some edgelords
What

Himu

« Reply #1293 on: June 14, 2019, 03:09:23 PM »

Yeah, I think during the Nintendo show I was like "definitely picking this up" for more than half the games. This e3 was great for lapsed/retro gamers and rpg fans of both the west and east.

Yeah I wanted like 75% of what they had to show. Haven't had interest in games like that literally all decade. Was refreshing.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1294 on: June 14, 2019, 03:11:16 PM »
The best E3 will be when Itsuno comes out and reveals Dragon's Dogma 2.  Everything else in life will be piss.   I will buy one of every console, max out my PC and/or subscribe to whatever game streaming service to have that game in my life.  I'll take all the fucks, Zero given.

Dragon's Dogma 2 for N-Gage confirmed!
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #1295 on: June 14, 2019, 03:20:06 PM »

Dragon's Dogma 2 for N-Gage confirmed!
I'll buy 500 of them shits.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1296 on: June 14, 2019, 03:38:08 PM »

Ehhhhhh, here's the thing- I hate plenty of Nintendo games. In fact, I think it would be fair to say that I hate MOST Nintendo games, because most of them ARE kids games with shallow mechanics. They're well made but they're baby shit. Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Mario Party games, etc can all go die in a fucking fire as far as I'm concerned. They make me angry because resources are being used on shit like that instead of shit that I enjoy.

Having said that, I realize that a large part of Nintendo's business model (and it is a successful one) is to appeal to as many different people as they can, ESPECIALLY kids. So while I'd prefer to see a console Fire Emblem every other year or whatever, and more mainline Mario and Zelda games, it's not gonna happen. But that's life, and there's plenty of other shit that I want to play either on Switch or other consoles/pc that it doesn't bother me. The fact that they didn't utterly cheap out on the hardware this time around like they did the Wii U is commendable enough to earn them some goodwill.

tl;dr- not all Nintendo is everyone's cup of tea but for fucks sakes be an adult about it and just play what you want (still shit on the things you hate tho obvs cause this is the internet and that's what it's for)
yar

Tasty

« Reply #1297 on: June 14, 2019, 03:48:28 PM »
“Blowing Nintendo since 1986”

Fixed :awesome

Chooky

« Reply #1298 on: June 14, 2019, 04:03:31 PM »
i've never encountered anyone who hates nintendo games outside of internet edgelords and contrarians. can you imagine talking to someone who casually games and hearing them say they fucking hate mario and mario kart

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1299 on: June 14, 2019, 05:24:37 PM »
And there’s my point, you can’t simply not be into Nintendo games without people acting like somethings wrong with you.

When the conversation comes up irl about Smash or Mario whatever. I just politely say I’m not into them.

I find it’s the Nintendo fans who get obnoxious about the games.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1300 on: June 14, 2019, 05:31:47 PM »
you're obnoxious with or without vidya

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1301 on: June 14, 2019, 05:34:48 PM »
Maybe I should be a Nintendo fan then.

Himu

« Reply #1302 on: June 14, 2019, 05:36:13 PM »
Animal crossing’s biggest audience as far as I know are women, not kids. That’s why Nintendo is great. Nintendo makes something for everyone. Pretty much every female gamer friend I know is looking forward to animal crossing: new horizon. That, or they’re lgbt. People will talk about how there’s a lack of female game players or lgbt inclusion in games while bad mouthing games like Animal Crossing which are directly aimed at women in the same games like Harvest Moon are.

It’s weird.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 05:41:03 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1303 on: June 14, 2019, 05:38:27 PM »
They don’t make cinematic action games with “adult” stories.

Edit-You probably meant more along the lines of people more so than the taste. Then yes they do.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 05:44:49 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Tasty

« Reply #1304 on: June 14, 2019, 05:46:30 PM »
Nintendo doesn't make <extremely specific genre with eight separate qualifiers>.

It's like they don't even try anymore!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1305 on: June 14, 2019, 05:53:31 PM »
And yet according to most of you that specific genre can be applied to all Sony/AAA/games you dislike.

Himu

« Reply #1306 on: June 14, 2019, 06:00:05 PM »
Personally, Rah, neither does Sony.

Your idea of an adult story and my idea seem pretty different.

Uncharted features a man that kills thousands and people are crying about the dude who is basically Indiana Jones. We watched Indiana Jones in daycare at elementary school. Personally, I find these people have a limited definition of an adult story.

To me an adult story is something that has actual adult content, depth, themes, and layers. God of War is not an adult story. Uncharted is not an adult story. Haven’t played but I doubt The Last Of Us is an adult story either.

Actual adult stories I can think of in games: Silent Hill 1 and especially 2, Planescape: Torment, Fallout games that aren’t 3 (haven’t played 4), Tactics Ogre, Max Payne 2, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Valkyrie Profile 1, I think that’s it. That’s not to say these are the only good stories in games I’ve played. My favorite game story is probably within the Suikoden franchise and I’m not sure I’d call it adult. I love Final Fantasy VI’s story but it’s clearly not an adult story. Neither is Final fantasy X’s or even VII’s. Final Fantasy games in particular are aimed specifically at teenagers. I got into FF when I was 12 so the idea that it’s adult is laughable to me. MGS is  basically a suped up GI Joe.

Few games have adult stories. What an adult story? Lolita, which is sitting on my bookshelf is. Barry Lyndon. The Shining. Jacob’s Ladder. Perfect Blue. Grave of the Fireflies. The Color Purple. Jane Austen shit. Wuthering Heights. Idk, I’m spitballing here.

One thing you learn quickly when developing taste in your late teens and through your 20’s is that nerd shit  != adult shit, with few exceptions.

You talk about Nintendo not making adult stories yet funnily none of the AAA story based games I’ve played in the past decade have matched the literary content of Majora’s Mask.

So there’s that.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1307 on: June 14, 2019, 06:00:41 PM »
Man god bless E3 threads
püp

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1308 on: June 14, 2019, 06:06:16 PM »
Last of Us is definitely an adult story, just about under any definition you would want to use.
It's got plenty of genre clichès, and some gamefied elements are detrimental to it, but you say that for most games with "adult stories" anyway.

Himu

« Reply #1309 on: June 14, 2019, 06:11:07 PM »
Film:

Here's a story of a 300-400 year old cursed violin that brings tragedy to every one of its owners.

Games:

Here's a story of a man nostalgic for when he had a taste of adventure and gets back into the game.

I mean, story is good and all, but if I want to actually get an adult story it makes no sense to rely on games to achieve this.

Let's not forget that most games necessitate the need for action - or killing - and therefore limit themselves inherently as a storytelling medium because games "need to be fun" as a prerequisite.

Games are a flawed storytelling medium even if there's a few pieces of gold. Go to the Classics section at your local bookstore instead, please.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1310 on: June 14, 2019, 06:14:42 PM »
I knew you would add blowback to the use of adult and see it as some quality marker. Which is why I put it into apostrophes. You can disagree or agree with the quality or worthiness  of storytelling in games if you want. I’d rather pass as I’m sure it will come with your patented smugness.

“Oh see you are clearly not as literate as me. I know of Lolita. The book. Now that’s a true adult story, not whatever lowbrow stuff you like. I liked before the famous Kurbuick movie that everyone knows about”

I don’t care. I don’t particularly think God of War or Uncharted are anything to write home about. I feel like I was the only one in the GoW thread here that didn’t think it was amazing.

But the games are made to appeal to adults and feature adult aesthetics, themes, presentation, and appeal. They are made for adults. You can argue if they are shallow in that appeal, but it’s there. And if your someone looking for anything like that, then your not going to find it at Nintendo. You’ll find it at Sony and clearly it has worked for millions of adults who I guess aren’t literate enough to see that what they like dosent measure up to Russian novels.

Himu

« Reply #1311 on: June 14, 2019, 06:34:25 PM »
Why does adult stories even need to be a qualifier for a good game?

Also, tastes should be varied. It's okay to like story-based games, but it makes no sense to not want to play a fun ass platformer every now and then.

I just find it weird.

Your criticism of games and my criticism are on opposite poles. You seem to go after presentation, production values, aesthetics and stories that appeal to you. I go after mechanics and gameplay.

"If a game handholds and limits its player from making decisions it's likely a shit game." - Cindi Proverb

A good game is ultimately decided by how its parts and rules come together. A good story that doesn't make a game good if the gameplay isn't up to par. Some of the best game stories - VN's, adventure games - have shit gameplay. Nintendo happens to have mastered gameplay.

It's not that you don't prefer Nintendo games that's weird. It's the fact you don't like them period. Guarantee the game creators you look up to love Nintendo games. At the end of this, it doesn't sound like your not liking Nintendo has anything to do with preferences or taste but some vendetta of some sort.

For example, most people have preferences. It's normal to prefer 2d Mario over 3d or vice versa. Or maybe preferring Sonic to Mario. It's totally weird, however, to not like Mario period.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 06:39:33 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1312 on: June 14, 2019, 06:41:17 PM »
It’s weird to not like platformers?

That’s oddly judgmental.

I had SMB memorized front and back as a kid but just don’t like the genre anymore.

There's a difference between not liking them and saying Mario games aren't good games as Rah has said.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1313 on: June 14, 2019, 06:46:09 PM »
“Oh see you are clearly not as literate as me. I know of Lolita. The book. Now that’s a true adult story, not whatever lowbrow stuff you like. I liked before the famous Kurbuick movie that everyone knows about”

Don't get that kind of impression at all from Cindi's reply.  She's just making a point that she doesn't think any of this shit is even close to the story in a good book or film. 

I feel like I was the only one in the GoW thread here that didn’t think it was amazing.

Sup! 

But the games are made to appeal to adults and feature adult aesthetics, themes, presentation, and appeal. They are made for adults. You can argue if they are shallow in that appeal, but it’s there. And if your someone looking for anything like that, then your not going to find it at Nintendo. You’ll find it at Sony and clearly it has worked for millions of adults who I guess aren’t literate enough to see that what they like dosent measure up to Russian novels.

"You know, for kids!"

But yes, they clearly publish more family-oriented games.
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1314 on: June 14, 2019, 06:51:54 PM »

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #1315 on: June 14, 2019, 06:59:58 PM »
i've never encountered anyone who hates nintendo games outside of internet edgelords and contrarians. can you imagine talking to someone who casually games and hearing them say they fucking hate mario and mario kart

I've never encountered a die hard Nintendo/Smash fan  IRL that wasn't a smelly, forum dweller fuck up.

Its like rolling a pepperoni pizza in body odor and autism.
OH!

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1316 on: June 14, 2019, 07:09:40 PM »
Rah if you just say "I don't like cute shit" and let it end there without trying to write a thinkpiece to justify your sperglord tastes people will just accept it and move on, just sayin

I don't like cute shit either, but I appreciate good gameplay, which is why I play Mario and Zelda. Animal Crossing has no gameplay to speak of, it's just a timesink bullshit mortgage repayment simulator that lets you decorate. Women be decoratin, amirite???

:kermit
yar

Himu

« Reply #1317 on: June 14, 2019, 07:12:33 PM »
Let me show you the clothes I designed in Animal Crossing: New Leaf. :uguu
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1318 on: June 14, 2019, 07:17:48 PM »

:uguu

I'm looking forward to making clothes in the new Animal Crossing. I hope they open up a shop where you pay people real world money. Someone told some are buying gucci purses and high fashion clothes made by users in some game on Steam. Like 30-50 bucks an item.

Pay me!
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1319 on: June 14, 2019, 07:18:08 PM »
No I said I disliked them. I don't care about them. They are nothing to me. Good or bad, is irrelevant. I have no interests.

Also no one said "adult" was a qualifier for good. What was said was "adult" as a type. A direction. A subject material. Nintendo is not big on games that deal with adult subject matter. Weather it be tone, themes, story, art direction, whatever. Things that skew older. Adult was not used as a term of quality. I don't care if you don't think God of War is as good as film. That dosen't matter. What matters is that at least it tries and plays the part. If you want stuff that plays the part then all you have is a few bones thrown from Nintendo and you should seek elsewhere.

An adult can see and level out the types of stories presented to them. An adult can realize that not everything is on the level of something else. That some stories even if they aren't as highbrow as something else, still have thier merit. An I would say an adult can rationalize that it dosen't even matter.

I like all kinds of games, except platformers. Nintendo dosen't offer the kinds of games I like outside of few examples.

But it is also the Nintendo fan prerogative to think "well clearly you don't care about gameplay". Which sure fine, I don't if also caring about other aspects of a game as a hole meant that.

Vanquish is to one of the best shooters ever. The mechanics and gameplay are top of the line, but so is everything else. The art direction is cool, the way speed is visualized. The general astehtics, style, and presentation of the game bring the game up. Visuals matter. Vanquish would still be a fun shooter if it was stick figures or something, but the way it's presented brings it's weird John Woo by way of powered suit 80s anime style to life. Like wise a game with shitty gameplay like Asura's Warth has amazing art direction, animation, cutscene direction, and a decently told story with heart and a good understanding of older shounen anime stylings that the game has lots of appeal. I love the gameplay of Persona 5, but its personalty that comes though it's music, setting, graphics, menus, ect make it a world above a say Idea Factory game that would maybe play similarly. 

And it's not a "good graphics or else thing". I love Parasite Eve because of the atmosphere it still has and corny New York action thriller by way of the Japanese tone it has. The gameplay is fun, but simple. The game is more then that. Vagrant Story's cutscenes are still top of the line till this day and a marvel to look at. Nier was a cheap looking game, but it's presentation and use of color created a desolate world feeling.

It's not a zero sum game. with me. Games have lots to offer and I can appreciate many aspects of a game and find things interesting and worthwhile even if the gameplay fails. Tales games are fun to play. They are so bland to look at and hear. I dislike them. Zone of the Enders 2 is rather simple in it's gameplay. It fucking looks awesome.  Presentation, production values(which does not 100% mean lots of money or not), art, ect all mater and can improve or break a game. That's how I look at games. Games are an experince. I'm either experiencing interesting mechanics, a cool world, interesting visuals, a neat story, or just a cool journey. Whatever. If the game is handholdy, as long as it's taking me to cool things. I'm happy.

"You know, for kids!"
Yeah I also bought a Wii U for Bayonetta 2. Maybe I'll get Bayonetta 3 before the Switch is over. Oh boy one game like this every few years.

Devil's Third was hardly released in America and also crap. Fatal Frame V was digital only and in general the series has been worse off in Nintendos hand. At least in America.

Clearly representative of Nintendo's general output.

Don't play Fire Emblem so I know nothing about it. Only played the first one on 3DS briefly.

Sony also put out Knack, Gravity Rush 2, and Shadow Remake. So I guess by your metric, it's not all cinematic shooters either.

Yes they publish some things over now and then that appeal to me. Never said they don't. But Astral Chain and Xenoblade are not the connerstones of Nintendo's brand or lineup. Mario and the like are. If you want to say Sony is just one thing, you have to say Nintendo is just one thing.

"Oh but Xenoblade sells millions".

So do Gran Trusimo and MLB the Show. I guess Sony is also in the sim sports area. Somewhere Nintendo also isn't.