Author Topic: Game  (Read 10380 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Switch Lite announced - $199, no dock, no TV-out, has d-pad.
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2019, 08:02:28 PM »
No tv out? Lol fuck that, what a bunch of cheap assholes. The OG PSP has a fucking tv out, and that’s without a library of games built for multiplayer and a tv.

The OG PSP did not have TV out- the PSP 2000 series introduced that.
:expert

And yet the Vita didn't have TV-out either.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2019, 08:06:22 PM »
I can't really commit to any Switch games knowing that I can't play it away from a television screen for more than a couple hours without needing a full charge.

Would love to play Chocobo Mystery Dungeon, but I can't imagine sitting in front of a giant bigscreen for it.

A $20 external battery backup will get you enough to run for like 10+ hours

Or you could just plug it in...?  Where do you guys play this thing where there's no AC outlets anywhere to use?

I am kinda surprised the battery life isn't at least double with a smaller lower-power (handheld only mode) hardware coming 2 years later in tech advances.

Only had my switch run out of battery on flights/trains but yeah would be nice if that didn't happen.

The battery in the Mini is smaller than the O.G. model.   That's also a good question- do the joycons affect battery life that much?  They have their own batteries.  I guess the wireless connection to the Switch?  :thinking 

I'm seeing cooling vents; does it have a fan?

The O.G. Switch has cooling vents too.   Assuming it's the same fan or fans?
ど助平

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2019, 08:40:01 PM »
How is that Hori joycon with the d-pad?
püp

Chooky

« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2019, 08:51:20 PM »
is everyone throwing a hissy fit about the lack of tv out forgetting that handheld mode generally runs at like some bullshit playstation 2 resolution?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2019, 08:54:40 PM »
How is that Hori joycon with the d-pad?

It feels/works nicely, but note that it has no rumble or any kind of wireless features, so you have to use it attached to the Switch- won't work if you want to use your joycons like a stand-alone controller. 

IIRC people complained that it drained the Switch battery faster, but I think this may have been fixed for the U.S. release?  I haven't really used mine much because of the modded d-pad joycons I have.

is everyone throwing a hissy fit about the lack of tv out forgetting that handheld mode generally runs at like some bullshit playstation 2 resolution?

:huh
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2019, 09:42:20 PM »
Good Nintendo getting more of that Japanese market. Also the first Nintendo handheld since gba micro that doesn’t have a clam shell. Rip to clam shell handhelds. :( The DS is truly over and now I weep.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2019, 10:53:21 PM »
Rip to clam shell handhelds. :(

GPD has got you covered.

:rollsafe
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2019, 11:03:15 PM »

Technically, does: Secret port. Just that nobody/Sony released anything to use said secret port for that purpose beyond dev kits.

Svejk

« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2019, 11:17:56 PM »
Is this still considered a Switch then??  Their marketing since the beginning has been dumb as nutcups.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2019, 12:00:51 AM »
Is this still considered a Switch then??  Their marketing since the beginning has been dumb as nutcups.

What purpose would changing the name do apart from cause consumer confusion?.  It says "Switch" so people know what games they can buy for it.
:idont

ど助平

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2019, 12:13:12 AM »
Nintendo Sub now

The pro will be TV only, Nintendo Dom  :-*

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2019, 02:00:21 AM »
https://twitter.com/pomegd/status/1149086048003080192
would pay $500 for a Switch that emits a piercing BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPP when started in docked mode

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2019, 04:28:12 AM »
Thjs makes sense, especially if you're buying it for your kids that keep bumping it into shit or lose joycons left and right.
199$ for half the functionality is still too much for me though (especially since Mario Odyssey is the only game out, i'm interested in).

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2019, 05:49:57 AM »
Imho 149 would be fair then I wouldnt worry about joy cons breaking

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2019, 05:59:50 AM »
Think the 3DS was like 220 euros over here when it launched. Got a price cut pretty fast though.

Early adopters got like 10 free GBA and 10 NES games for the ammount they were fucked over.

kingv

« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2019, 08:45:51 AM »
How does the $199 contrast with other Nintendo handheld prices when they launched? I think 3DS was more expensive, no?

3DS in us was $250 at launch and dropped pretty quickly to $169. Then they did that whole ambassador program thing. I

Tasty

« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2019, 09:04:00 AM »
Bowser confirmed this is the only new Switch model this year (no Switch Pro until 2020), and that new shipments of the existing Switch will have a refreshed SoC (the same new Tegra in Switch Lite) and flash storage (likely upgrading to a faster type.)

Tasty

« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2019, 09:08:39 AM »
Here are the US launch prices for major handhelds.

Game Boy: $89.99
Game Boy Color: $69.99
Game Boy Advance : $99.99
Nintendo DS: $149.99
Nintendo 3DS: $249.99

And:

PlayStation Portable: $249.99
PlayStation VITA: $249.99

So going over $200 is pretty much the graveyard for handheld mass appeal. Even the OG 3DS at $180 was pushing it pretty high for what is essentially a kids' system.

Tasty

« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2019, 09:10:11 AM »
And I still dream of an even smaller (possibly clamshell) $99 Switch Mini a couple years down the road.

720p looks pretty fantastic on a 4" screen, lol.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2019, 09:19:33 AM »
Yeah I don’t even want to think about trying to play Smash on any smaller of a screen tbh

Tasty

« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2019, 09:27:17 AM »
Yeah I don’t even want to think about trying to play Smash on any smaller of a screen tbh

What about EIGHT PLAYER MODE?

Himu

« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2019, 09:27:49 AM »

What, you want them to name it something else and pull a Sega, causing brand confusion?
IYKYK

kingv

« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2019, 09:35:26 AM »
Bowser confirmed this is the only new Switch model this year (no Switch Pro until 2020), and that new shipments of the existing Switch will have a refreshed SoC (the same new Tegra in Switch Lite) and flash storage (likely upgrading to a faster type.)

There’s a refreshed SOC? Is it just on a smaller process?

Tasty

« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2019, 09:41:07 AM »

There’s a refreshed SOC? Is it just on a smaller process?

Mostly.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-switch-new-tegra-x1-silicon-comes-into-focus

With regards t210b01's improvements, higher clocks and lower voltages suggest a drop from a 20nm processor design down to 16nm FinFET instead - but Tegra X1 was always an outlier, a production chip running on an experimental fabrication process Nvidia never chose to pursue for its mainstream GPUs - and I wonder if the firm is following the same procedure with its replacement, mitigating the cost of exploring 7nm technology by sharing costs with Nintendo. Only a teardown of the new Switch revision(s) will give us the physical dimensions that allow us to firmly identify how the t210b01/t214 is manufactured, but the increase in clocks seen in the DVFS tables would likely favour 16nmFF, a mature process and a good fit for a mass-produced console.

20nm -> 16nm

Tasty

« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2019, 09:44:15 AM »
Is this still considered a Switch then??

It's just a brand name...? And it's a hell of a lot better than "3DS" and "Wii U." IMO their naming is back on track after like 15 years of misses and near-misses.

Better "Switch Lite" than "Nintendo 2DS XXLi New Edition."

The thing plays Switch games, it's a Switch.

This also still supports table top mode (split screen and multiple controllers) just without a kickstand.

Yeah their marketers been so braindead fucking dumb they failed their way into selling 35 million units in just two years

:confused

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2019, 10:01:09 AM »
Good Nintendo getting more of that Japanese market. Also the first Nintendo handheld since gba micro that doesn’t have a clam shell. Rip to clam shell handhelds. :( The DS is truly over and now I weep.

Tasty

« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2019, 10:33:44 AM »
This goes back to when the Switch was announced and everyone here was hella skeptical, cause it seems like people just couldn't fathom something like the Switch Lite existing. Meanwhile people who knew Nintendo's game plan (which should honestly be everyone, because they keep doing it so much it's basically gaming history) knew that this was coming.

Want a Switch Mini.

Integrated, non-detachable Joycons, maybe clamshell design?

Smaller form factor (~4.5" screen.)

No dock in the package.

$149.

Tasty

« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2019, 10:34:19 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Ah yes, the good old doorstop.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2019, 10:50:09 AM »
Even Andy-kun is out here not defending the fuck-tarded thumbstick placements.

Andy-kun not an alien, confirmed.

My only problem with the 2DS is the weird ergonomics of the triggers and the "door-stop" thickness. If they actually fixed that, it'd be fine. I like mine, but the hand-cramps are pretty bad.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2019, 11:02:26 AM »
Thjs makes sense, especially if you're buying it for your kids that keep bumping it into shit or lose joycons left and right.
199$ for half the functionality is still too much for me though (especially since Mario Odyssey is the only game out, i'm interested in).

The Lite is also going to appeal to a lot of people in Japan who are on trains for long periods of time every day- have even seen a few 'industry types' saying this is what it was made for- I don't think Nintendo is that stupid that they'd make new hardware for just one country anymore, but that's just me I guess. 

Is this still considered a Switch then??

It's just a brand name...? And it's a hell of a lot better than "3DS" and "Wii U." IMO their naming is back on track after like 15 years of misses and near-misses.

I thought "3DS" was good- it's the DS successor, made in the same design style, still plays DS games, and is 3D.  Makes sense.  "2DS" is where it gets confusing- it's obvious why they called it that...but it also makes it sound like a previous generation of the console, lol.

I see a lot of similarities to the 2DS with the Switch Lite-- despite the 2DS being a clear downgrade over the original and designed to be cheaper for kids, there were still people foaming at the mouth over it and saying it was better than the 3DS models at the time because it was more comfortable.  Never mind that it didn't close or had a mono speaker and no 3D. 

On Twitter I've seen some "STOP TELLING PEOPLE THAT U DON'T LIKE THE SWITCH LITE DESIGN IT'S NOT MADE 4 U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" stan-defense posts with way too many likes.  "DON'T CRITICIZE PRODUCT!!!!!!!"   :gun :punch
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2019, 11:13:14 AM »

I guess that's an issue? Do you mean how close they are together or just that it's not the Dual Shock config?

Just be thankful it's not Wii U config (symmetrical, but displacing the fucking buttons??)

:confused :nintendo

I'm 99% docked using the Pro Controller, so the small size of the JoyCons/Switch Lite isn't an issue.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2019, 11:36:23 AM »
I'll wait the 18 months when they redesign and come out with a better version of this.

Tasty

« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2019, 11:40:54 AM »
I'll wait the 18 months when they redesign and come out with a better version of this.

You're gonna miss Animal Crossing's launch. :( Which for most people is really the best/only time to play...

Svejk

« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2019, 11:55:45 AM »

What purpose would changing the name do apart from cause consumer confusion?.  It says "Switch" so people know what games they can buy for it.
No... I'm talking about the marketing when it first came out.  Calling it a Switch in the first place... When all they do is Snap in their advertising.  :doge

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2019, 12:09:45 PM »

You're gonna miss Animal Crossing's launch. :( Which for most people is really the best/only time to play...

hahah, good one.

I learned my lesson long ago that the worst value in gaming was being a Day One Nintendo fan*.

* - being a "bleeding edge" pc gamer is way worse, but you get my point.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2019, 12:10:15 PM »
Call this version the Bait and Switch.

Problem solved.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2019, 12:28:08 PM »
Personally I think it's awesome but I'm more of a TV guy so this aint for me
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2019, 01:19:19 PM »

No... I'm talking about the marketing when it first came out.  Calling it a Switch in the first place... When all they do is Snap in their advertising.  :doge

Come on, man.  :lol  You're "switching" from TV to handheld and whatnot.

You know this.
 :woken

Call this version the Bait and Switch.

Problem solved.

We already got a perfect name for it:

"Nintendo Switchless"
 :birb
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2019, 01:37:11 PM »

hahah, good one.

I learned my lesson long ago that the worst value in gaming was being a Day One Nintendo fan*.

* - being a "bleeding edge" pc gamer is way worse, but you get my point.

Nintendo stuff (games especially) holds it value far better than Sony or MS stuff.

I usually buy Nintendo games day 1, because there’s not much point in waiting 3 months. Wait 3-6 months on basically any game on PlayStation/Xbox and you can get it for half price somewhere.

Pre-owner breath of the wild is still like $40 on eBay. And it was a launch game.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2019, 01:39:29 PM »
The great deal I got on my copy of Breath of the Wild was 57 euros instead of 60.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2019, 03:15:54 PM »
I'm positive that lack of TV out is a thermal thing. They can build it smaller/cheaper if they know they never have to clock it up to the Docked resolution.

You don't want to see portable mode resolution running on a TV.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2019, 03:18:54 PM »
yes I do  ::)

Fifstar

« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2019, 03:44:12 PM »
I'm positive that lack of TV out is a thermal thing. They can build it smaller/cheaper if they know they never have to clock it up to the Docked resolution.

Even though they're already on a smaller process?

It being cheaper to builb with a lesser cooling function makes sense though.
Gulp

Svejk

« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2019, 04:30:16 PM »

My choice of words were incorrect.  It's their advertising, not marketing. Their ad splash screens could've been thought out allot better.  I guess it'll never sit right with me, because it drives me nuts.

Let me know when the screen-less N-Slab is out so I can play Merry-o Brothers Odyssey some day.

Tasty

« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2019, 04:35:13 PM »

720p is fine. :confused

Himu

« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2019, 05:26:25 PM »

I guess that's an issue? Do you mean how close they are together or just that it's not the Dual Shock config?

Just be thankful it's not Wii U config (symmetrical, but displacing the fucking buttons??)

I'm 99% docked using the Pro Controller, so the small size of the JoyCons/Switch Lite isn't an issue.

You defended them doing this at the time.
IYKYK

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2019, 05:32:08 PM »
Next up, Switch XL, with no handheld mode and a mild overclock.

Himu

« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2019, 05:35:12 PM »

IYKYK

Occam

« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2019, 06:20:09 PM »
No tv out? Lol fuck that, what a bunch of cheap assholes. The OG PSP has a fucking tv out, and that’s without a library of games built for multiplayer and a tv.

The OG PSP did not have TV out- the PSP 2000 series introduced that.
:expert

Actually, the first model of Vita did have TV out capability. Sony just never released the necessary cable and enabled it.

Tasty

« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2019, 06:57:14 PM »

You defended them doing this at the time.

If I did I don't remember, I was more OK with the Wii Pro Controller (aka Dual Shock) config and IIRC I said so at the time... if I praised the Pro Controller, it was about ergonomics and battery life, which are still fairly best in class (80 hours!)

Himu

« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2019, 07:08:11 PM »
Yeah you defended them having the face buttons and right stick trading places.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2019, 07:32:58 PM »
Well that makes no sense. Like on many issues, I disagree with past-Tasty on this one.

nachobro

• Live Más

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2019, 11:11:19 AM »
I've been waiting for this since it was announced, and I broke down since it wasn't coming and bought one. Over July 4th weekend. And thought to myself, I should make a thread that the announcement of Switch lite was emminent. And sure enough.
Still. No regrets.
que

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2019, 11:19:45 AM »
Yeah, I didn’t buy mine very long ago either, but I think the original is worth it still.

paprikastaude

« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2019, 12:12:12 PM »
This announcement made me check the library again and it's an even bigger dumpster fire than I thought  :camby https://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=switch&cat=0&year=0&numrev=0&sort=0&letter=&search= Sorting out a majority (but not all) of its redundant ports by only searching for high review counts and this looks WiiU-tier.

Luigi 3 and Cuphead as a physical collectable were peaking my interest, but at this point it should be better to wait until something like Bayo 3 hits and/or when the Mini is like a hundred bucks on ebay.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 12:18:25 PM by Spieler1 »

Chooky

« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2019, 03:21:43 PM »
This announcement made me check the library again and it's an even bigger dumpster fire than I thought  :camby https://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=switch&cat=0&year=0&numrev=0&sort=0&letter=&search= Sorting out a majority (but not all) of its redundant ports by only searching for high review counts and this looks WiiU-tier.

Luigi 3 and Cuphead as a physical collectable were peaking my interest, but at this point it should be better to wait until something like Bayo 3 hits and/or when the Mini is like a hundred bucks on ebay.

wow very interesting, thanks for sharing

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2019, 04:02:18 PM »
jesus christ what a shitty post
püp