Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue  (Read 137778 times)

Coffee Dog

Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake
« Reply #780 on: April 09, 2020, 04:04:47 PM »
If I was someone playing FFVII for the first time,
spoiler (click to show/hide)
why the FUCK would I want Hojo to spoil Cloud's backstory before I left Midgar? What are they saving for the other two parts? It's a remake that is totally uninterested in taking the drama of the original game seriously, flatly stating a massive plot reveal like it's supposed to be known already.
[close]

This in particular annoys me a lot

« Reply #781 on: April 09, 2020, 04:42:50 PM »
I haven't played FFVII since 1997 or 1998, so all of this nuance from the original will be completely lost on me. I'm sure stuff will come back to me as I play, but mainly I just remember the big plot points.
野球

Tasty

« Reply #782 on: April 09, 2020, 05:11:58 PM »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #783 on: April 09, 2020, 05:36:20 PM »
:thinking

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #784 on: April 09, 2020, 05:56:06 PM »
Just picked mine up from Best Buy @ $50

they selling it right now??
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #785 on: April 09, 2020, 06:13:49 PM »
Fuuuck bouta cop right now brb
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #786 on: April 09, 2020, 08:51:25 PM »
i gotta stay off the internet for five more fucking days while everyone gets to have fun fuck Amazon fuck the government i hate this shit
pcp

Himu

« Reply #787 on: April 09, 2020, 08:59:10 PM »
Canceled Amazon. Getting at best buy tomorrow.
IYKYK

bluemax

« Reply #788 on: April 09, 2020, 09:21:15 PM »
Is it still worth checking out Crisis Core?

Crisis Core is a game designed to be played on Japanese subway trains.
NO

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #789 on: April 09, 2020, 10:17:01 PM »
tired: pokemon go to the polls
wired: final fantasy 7 remake the election results
QED

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #790 on: April 09, 2020, 10:17:06 PM »
i gotta stay off the internet for five more fucking days while everyone gets to have fun fuck Amazon fuck the government i hate this shit

Should have punched out of the crumbling capitalism and dove into the digital dystopia
:9

Coffee Dog

« Reply #791 on: April 09, 2020, 10:52:13 PM »
If I was someone playing FFVII for the first time,
why the FUCK would I want Hojo to spoil Cloud's backstory before I left Midgar? What are they saving for the other two parts? It's a remake that is totally uninterested in taking the drama of the original game seriously, flatly stating a massive plot reveal like it's supposed to be known already.
[close]

This in particular annoys me a lot
Because we're getting Evangelion Rebuild??? What don't you guys understand?
[close]

i really wouldnt recommend rebuild to anyone that hadnt seen Evangelion already though
[close]
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 10:56:31 PM by Coffee Dog »

bluemax

« Reply #792 on: April 10, 2020, 01:07:42 AM »
So there's a trophy for:

Getting to level 50. Guessing this means progression isn't carrying over to episode 2.
[close]
NO

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #793 on: April 10, 2020, 01:26:06 AM »
BAH GAWD, that's Sephiroth's music!
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #794 on: April 10, 2020, 01:28:38 AM »
So anyway, this morning Best Buy was like "lol, shipment delayed, you'll get it next Friday" so I was like "hell nah" and rebought it on PSN. Then I get an email from Best Buy that's like "your package is on schedule, arriving tomorrow lmao".

:doge
©@©™

bluemax

« Reply #795 on: April 10, 2020, 01:55:52 AM »
Just about 2 hours and 2 chapters done. Gotta stop for the night since I got work in the morning.
NO

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #796 on: April 10, 2020, 01:57:36 AM »
Is it still worth checking out Crisis Core?

Crisis Core is a game designed to be played on Japanese subway trains.

Sounds like a yes

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #797 on: April 10, 2020, 02:08:02 AM »
I will say this, it is pretty nice to be playing a Japanese RPG with a ridiculously enormous budget again. :whew
dog

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #798 on: April 10, 2020, 02:18:53 AM »
completely forgot about this

tomorrow is going to be pure bliss  :aah

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #799 on: April 10, 2020, 02:19:37 AM »
(i really need this game atm)

bluemax

« Reply #800 on: April 10, 2020, 02:55:13 AM »
I will say: while the environments are (relatively) linear, the world-building is a hundred times more present by nature of world design and the fact that almost every NPC has unique dialogue that doesn't get reused.

What's better is that you don't have to mash X through prompts for NPCs.

Too many people are focusing on the broader narrative points, I'm interested in hearing what purists will say about both the faithfulness to the original and the closer looks at Midgar & the characters.

There are extreme pop-off moments for me that I won't spoil, but I'm interested in hearing other people experience it.

The only con so far are the open-world sidequests, they feel like FFXV sidequests. Still, fights are really fast and I always got the feeling that I wanted to go in and test out the combat.

I have't gotten to the open world part, but I did enjoy the Sector 8 stuff and when you first arrive in Sector 7 Slums. Having to walk through Sector 8 and hear the people after what you did is pretty well done and a nice extension of what was maybe 5 minutes in the original game without feeling too superfluous. FFXV did some similar stuff in Lestallum, but this just feels a bit more refined in terms of building the world and mood in that manner, also the setting makes the sparse population a little more believable. The promise of HD towns at last!
NO

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #802 on: April 10, 2020, 08:10:04 AM »
https://twitter.com/annamabee/status/1248272089255215104
:lol

Edit: just had a horrifying premonition that this will be an actual mod when the PC version comes next year....  that, and probably the big purple dildo bat from Saints Row.

Svejk

« Reply #803 on: April 10, 2020, 08:16:22 AM »
The next 12 hours or so is going to feel so long. :-\  ....Was there any news on a day 1 patch at all?

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #804 on: April 10, 2020, 08:17:02 AM »
And sweaty skin mods  :drool

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #805 on: April 10, 2020, 08:32:09 AM »
Out for delivery with a window of the next few hours

Amazon delivering the goods again
:rejoice
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #806 on: April 10, 2020, 08:44:53 AM »
Out for delivery with a window of the next few hours

Amazon delivering the goods again
:rejoice
I ordered a berry DS4 (for my daughter) and was expecting to come next week... Came yesterday!  :rejoice  Starting a long awaited, hyped game with a virgin controller feels..  :ohyeah

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #807 on: April 10, 2020, 09:24:35 AM »
Game requires 2 playthroughs for platinum. You unlock Hard mode after beating it once. You don't start the game on Hard difficulty, you do it via chapter select.

Hard Difficulty Explained:

Items cannot be used (no items of any kind, including healing items).

HP is only restored at Rest Spots (however, you can still use Spells and Abilities to regenerate health during combat).

Certain Manuscript Collectibles are only available on Hard.

Certain Bosses, Combat Simulator Missions, Item Rewards, Enemy Skills are only available on Hard Difficulty. This means you cannot 100% complete or platinum the game without finishing hard difficulty.

Enemies become even stronger.

You get to keep all of your equipment (it’s basically New Game Plus). All your Items, Materia, Character Level etc. carry over into Hard Difficulty.

You earn twice as much XP and three times as much AP.

Level 50 is the Level Cap.
fat

Himu

« Reply #808 on: April 10, 2020, 10:23:33 AM »
Sounds good.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #809 on: April 10, 2020, 11:44:59 AM »
Man that extended opening is so good. Major goosebumps.

I'm also really digging the battle system. Even though its not a straight action style beat em up it does feel like theres a visceral oomph to the strikes. It does feel daunting at first, micromanaging in battle, but you do become acclimated to the system as with any other game.

Thinking about it more and I cant believe we basically got a Star Ocean like remake of FFVII  :obama

I will say this, it is pretty nice to be playing a Japanese RPG with a ridiculously enormous budget again. :whew

Feeling the same way. The last one I played was FFXV and that left a bad taste in my mouth. This is scratching the itch.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 12:24:41 PM by BlueTsunami »
:9

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #810 on: April 10, 2020, 01:15:51 PM »
Got it-it's installing now.  The first disc is a data disc and the second is the play disc- doesn't seem to be taking any slower to install so not sure where claims it takes an hour to install are coming from.
ど助平

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #811 on: April 10, 2020, 01:20:41 PM »
It said an hour when I popped it in. I left it for a while though, so no idea how long it actually took

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #813 on: April 10, 2020, 02:07:35 PM »
fat

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #814 on: April 10, 2020, 02:09:45 PM »
I'm enjoying this game quite a bit actually. But peeps going "they had to split it up and expand on what's there" are looking fucking dumb as shit right now. Yeah, expand it by having you find stray cats while Tifa does cute japanese girl gestures as that's VERY important to the lore. The breadth of Nomura's genius knows no bounds! (Still had a blast cause tifa :heart )

I'm glad I long accepted it won't approach the OG in quality nor will this talk of expansion amount to much. they clearly split it up the way they did to milk the fat manteet of every manchild still voting for cloud as best character on GameFAQ's polls. So seeing as it's essentially:

FF7-2 I'm more willing to accept any deviations though I can't say I'm confident in either Nomura or Toriyama delivering something I can wholly be down with when all is said and done.
[close]

Great game so far, but a shitstorm is for sure brewing. Going to be funny seeing whining GamersTM be even more insufferable online for the next few months.

Some stuff is just dumb fetch quests, some stuff develops the characters a bit more.

Himu

« Reply #815 on: April 10, 2020, 02:12:01 PM »
I'm enjoying this game quite a bit actually. But peeps going "they had to split it up and expand on what's there" are looking fucking dumb as shit right now. Yeah, expand it by having you find stray cats while Tifa does cute japanese girl gestures as that's VERY important to the lore.

lol

"you'll be going to unexplored areas of Midgar that were only hinted at in the original!" Remember that shit? That said, I'm looking forward to it. I get mine Wednesday. Plenty to play till then.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #816 on: April 10, 2020, 02:13:26 PM »
I have it on the title screen right now while I am working. It's playing the classic FF theme and I want to cum
fat

Himu

« Reply #817 on: April 10, 2020, 02:16:23 PM »
I have it on the title screen right now while I am working. It's playing the classic FF theme and I want to cum

The prelude is at the title screen? Jack it.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #818 on: April 10, 2020, 03:14:39 PM »
I didn’t realize this was coming out so soon. Thought it was an end of the month kind of game.

Looked at metacritic, surprised by the positive reviews!
Then again I’ve always been on team Nomura and feel like he’s the best director in-house at SE.

Himu

« Reply #819 on: April 10, 2020, 03:25:39 PM »

Looked at metacritic, surprised by the positive reviews!

Really?
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #820 on: April 10, 2020, 03:31:15 PM »
Yeah, absolutely. I thought most people would have similar grievances to FFXV with the combat, be pissed that it only covers Midgar and isn't a full story, and the nostalgia would work both ways where people would like it more out of nostalgia and also be harsher on it for the things it's changing because of nostalgia. Expected closer to an 80 or less like FFXV.

Bebpo

« Reply #821 on: April 10, 2020, 03:33:16 PM »
So I'm looking on the digital store to pick it up and for the LE it says you get a cactuar and carbuncle summon. Can you not get these summons in game normally? Don't care about the other stuff so $20 more for 2 summons is kinda bs.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #822 on: April 10, 2020, 03:58:22 PM »
Yeah, expand it by having you find stray cats while Tifa does cute japanese girl gestures as that's VERY important to the lore. The breadth of Nomura's genius knows no bounds!

I'm so glad to be alive right now. :tocry
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #823 on: April 10, 2020, 04:52:03 PM »
It's very possible that, based on the ending,

No story listed here, but don't click if you don't want to be even remotely spoiled!
The next part is going to be like a completely different game.
[close]
[close]
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #824 on: April 10, 2020, 05:35:30 PM »
After being  :hyper about this for the last few weeks I played 20 mins of it and decided I’d rather get my drink on and listen to music all night instead :stahp
(ice)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #825 on: April 10, 2020, 05:49:56 PM »
I'm fine with the remake being split into several parts as long as the parts are full-length games, which is the case so far.
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #826 on: April 10, 2020, 06:04:22 PM »
Deadass people hated this combat? LMAO what the fuck this is lit

Stupid idiots
fat

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #827 on: April 10, 2020, 06:11:17 PM »
I dont hate it at all. But I really like turn based combat, just sitting back and relaxing/making decisions at your own pace. Wish they included a proper option for that.

i also miss the little victory dance and song
[close]

Himu

« Reply #828 on: April 10, 2020, 07:20:04 PM »

Stupid idiots

The combat on the demo was pretty bad and stiff. I literally would just hold down attack. It felt like poor justification to switch to action if the combat was that bad. On top of that, enemies had hp sinks and the robot scorpion fight was overly long.

It gets better?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #829 on: April 10, 2020, 07:23:15 PM »
I dont hate it at all. But I really like turn based combat, just sitting back and relaxing/making decisions at your own pace. Wish they included a proper option for that.

[close]

A wait mode player I see. :yuck
IYKYK

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #830 on: April 10, 2020, 07:26:37 PM »

[close]

A wait mode player I see. :yuck

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #831 on: April 10, 2020, 07:46:24 PM »

Stupid idiots

The combat on the demo was pretty bad and stiff. I literally would just hold down attack. It felt like poor justification to switch to action if the combat was that bad. On top of that, enemies had hp sinks and the robot scorpion fight was overly long.

It gets better?

Switch to action? There's a difference?

Scorpion felt fine to me. I was still getting used to the controls (hitting X thinking it was attack)

Game is awesome. Just met Aeris
fat

Himu

« Reply #832 on: April 10, 2020, 07:53:24 PM »

Stupid idiots

It gets better?

Switch to action? There's a difference?

Scorpion felt fine to me. I was still getting used to the controls (hitting X thinking it was attack)

Game is awesome. Just met Aeris

I played all three modes.

Dodging was poor. The menu based combat (which I prefer my rpgs to be) was step down from FFXII and XIII. Without ATB your options are incredibly limited even compared to Kingdom Hearts. I like KH so I was expecting some of that but even then KH managed to, in my time with the demo, merge action with traditional FF menu-based combat far better. Also, as a seasoned FF player having to "earn" ATB felt absurd. ATB should always be recycling and building time unless you haven't made an action. That's what makes ATB fun.

After months of Souls games it just felt bad and lacking depth. If you're going to switch to an action system I do kind of expect it to be good. But again, that was the demo. Combat did get better once you were actually running away. The fight with the Grunts was the highlight of the demo. So there's definitely potential.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 08:03:24 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #833 on: April 10, 2020, 07:56:25 PM »
Ya man it was the beginning of the game, not sure what to tell ya. I got a materia that lets me dodge and attack afterward.
fat

Himu

« Reply #834 on: April 10, 2020, 07:59:21 PM »
Ya man it was the beginning of the game, not sure what to tell ya. I got a materia that lets me dodge and attack afterward.

There's that argument but there's also the fact the demo had to sell the combat to people like me that are more traditional as well. I didn't like it. I'll chock it up to being a demo and be open to the final game.

I didn't know materia existed to let you do things like that.

That sounds really cool. :obama
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #835 on: April 10, 2020, 08:03:48 PM »
I found an HP Up materia lying on the street, and the game gave me a heal materia. I think this game is great, just running around slicing up bitches so its not just "static encounters" you can actually grind (maybe?)
fat

Himu

« Reply #836 on: April 10, 2020, 08:04:34 PM »
I found an HP Up materia lying on the street, and the game gave me a heal materia. I think this game is great, just running around slicing up bitches so its not just "static encounters" you can actually grind (maybe?)

What do you mean static encounters?

What's it like playing as Aerith versus Cloud?
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #837 on: April 10, 2020, 08:07:45 PM »
I can't play as Aeris yet, it was a cutscene

I found a bangle upgrade and it let met slot materia just like the original. I think the game will open up more as you play.
fat

Himu

« Reply #838 on: April 10, 2020, 08:08:39 PM »
I can't play as Aeris yet, it was a cutscene

I found a bangle upgrade and it let met slot materia just like the original. I think the game will open up more as you play.

Yeah Hardcore retro talked about that and it makes me excited to see how materia system has evolved.

I'm interested in Aerith because her play style might be very similar to my play style in FFXII. Since there's no back or front row,  Aerith needs to keep distance from the opponents. The others can act as tanks while she shoots out spells and acts as healer. I fucking loved that shit in XII. Here's hoping playing  Aerith in VIIr is similar.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #839 on: April 10, 2020, 08:12:56 PM »
I meant static encounters like "oh theres always 3 guards here" kind of like resident evil where you know where a zombie is.

So far it seems that way - they just respawn after I do another event. Maybe this changes later IDK. Not a problem to me, I'm enjoying fighting
fat