Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue  (Read 137776 times)

Coffee Dog

Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake
« Reply #900 on: April 11, 2020, 06:28:03 PM »
It's so free to Assess weaknesses that I wouldn't even say it's a matter of being dogshit or not. Every single person playing the game is going to 1. check the color and then 2. shoot the color of every enemy for the rest of the game afterwards.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #901 on: April 11, 2020, 06:34:34 PM »
It's been a long time since I've been as enamored by a JRPG that has been sustained almost halfway in. I find myself wanting to get into battles, not unlike a Tales game. Plus the materia and weapon upgrade combinations keep you thinking about certain builds.
:9

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #902 on: April 11, 2020, 06:42:33 PM »
It's so free to Assess weaknesses that I wouldn't even say it's a matter of being dogshit or not. Every single person playing the game is going to 1. check the color and then 2. shoot the color of every enemy for the rest of the game afterwards.

People were complaining the demo was too difficult for them. You are assuming the best out of people. People honestly think you can just mash attack and win
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 06:58:44 PM by demi »
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #903 on: April 11, 2020, 07:17:26 PM »
Ok uh yeah the Air Buster fight is sick. You'd almost think it was the final boss LMFAO
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #904 on: April 11, 2020, 08:41:09 PM »

:whew
dog

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #905 on: April 11, 2020, 08:54:32 PM »
The nailbat owns so fucking hard. The innate ability fucks shit up in a 1 on 1 battle
:9

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #906 on: April 11, 2020, 09:04:13 PM »
Aeris theme oh my word it's so good.
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #907 on: April 11, 2020, 11:25:55 PM »
Man, all the characters in FF7R are so good [except Roche lmao]. Why can't all of modern Square's game have characters/characterization this good?
dog

Himu

« Reply #908 on: April 11, 2020, 11:44:08 PM »
Aeris theme oh my word it's so good.

my fave :lawd
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #909 on: April 11, 2020, 11:51:41 PM »
Man, all the characters in FF7R are so good [except Roche lmao]. Why can't all of modern Square's game have characters/characterization this good?

This is an incredibly good question. Progress has been made overall since FFXIII, which almost objectively has the worst party and cast in any Final Fantasy game. FFXV has fantastic moments with it's characters, but the first half of the game doesn't utilize any character besides Noctis.

OH!

Himu

« Reply #910 on: April 12, 2020, 12:00:21 AM »

This is an incredibly good question. Progress has been made overall since FFXIII, which almost objectively has the worst party and cast in any Final Fantasy game. FFXV has fantastic moments with it's characters, but the first half of the game doesn't utilize any character besides Noctis.

XIII?

Are you kidding me? FF has struggled with stories since XII. The last FF with a good, memorable story with good memorable characters was X. In XII the villains get more development than the main cast. There's entire section of FFXII where you travel to Archadia where it's like hours and hours of gameplay with like one cutscene. Its been a problem for a decade and a half. Like I said a few pages back, FF tends to struggle balancing one thing (story) with another (gameplay). Often the best gameplay FF's have the worst stories (V, XII) and often the best story FF's don't have the best gameplay. FF's that have a good mix of both good gameplay and story are rare (Tactics, arguably X, VI).

This problem has only been exacerbated in the post-Sakaguchi era.

Even XV, which was a sizable improvement on XII and XIII, still had weird editing issues where it's poorly told because they designed it so that you had to consume 9999 pieces of side media, from an OVA movie to anime mini series, to understand the entire story.
IYKYK

bluemax

« Reply #911 on: April 12, 2020, 12:02:25 AM »

I feel like Barrett's combat and post combat dialogue is very much like Prompto's. Overall though so far Cloud and Tifa have so much more depth up to this point (chapter 8 start). Barrett is still kinda one note.
NO

Rahxephon91

« Reply #912 on: April 12, 2020, 12:03:35 AM »
This game is pretty bad.

mormapope

« Reply #913 on: April 12, 2020, 12:18:05 AM »

XIII?

Are you kidding me? FF has struggled with stories since XII. The last FF with a good, memorable story with good memorable characters was X. In XII the villains get more development than the main cast. There's entire section of FFXII where you travel to Archadia where it's like hours and hours of gameplay with like one cutscene. Its been a problem for a decade and a half. Like I said a few pages back, FF tends to struggle balancing one thing (story) with another (gameplay). Often the best gameplay FF's have the worst stories (V, XII) and often the best story FF's don't have the best gameplay. FF's that have a good mix of both good gameplay and story are rare (Tactics, arguably X, VI).

Even XV, which was a sizable improvement on XII and XIII, still had weird editing issues where it's poorly told because they designed it so that you had to consume 9999 pieces of side media, from an OVA movie to anime mini series, to understand the entire story.

XIII is noticably bad though, incredibly bad, not even in the same ballpark bad compared to any mainline Final Fantasy.

Vanille was hated, Snow was hated, Lightning was a cold mop for the majority of the game, Hope was a lil momma's boy bitch, Fang was a late addition and served as a lesbian Auron, which sounds awesome but she had no noticable personality. Sazh was the only likable and relatable character in the cast.

Important word there is relatable. FFXII has weak characterization, but the characters still have personality and are relatable in their motivations.

It's telling that the most interesting route to go for XIII's characters in two sequels, was to basically make all their lives worse or meaningless.

The issue with XV isn't understanding the story, it's that the story is told in the last 10 hours, and that the first 20 really don't matter. It's front loaded with filler.
OH!

mormapope

« Reply #914 on: April 12, 2020, 12:21:46 AM »
Cindi and Rhax switching sides in this argument would be a fucking riot.

So far, this thread had followed a similar trajectory of the spoiler one. I'm excited for how people feel by the end.  :doge
OH!

bluemax

« Reply #915 on: April 12, 2020, 12:27:22 AM »
Aerith is so sassy, cute and playful. I love it.
NO

Himu

« Reply #916 on: April 12, 2020, 12:30:43 AM »

I feel like Barrett's combat and post combat dialogue is very much like Prompto's. Overall though so far Cloud and Tifa have so much more depth up to this point (chapter 8 start). Barrett is still kinda one note.

This is good. Tifa sucks in the original:

1. She has nothing to define her. Barret is the top avalanche dog and Aerith is the cute romance interest.

2. Therefore her only use until mid disc 2 is playing romance triangle with Aerith and Cloud, which is boring. Early on the only thing she does is act jealous around Aerith.

But...

3. Aerith has more going for her than the romance angle as does Barret.

Tifa sucks in the original so if they've improved her that's good.

This ignoring that Tifa knew something was up with Cloud the entire time and didn't SAY SHIT. Tifa blows.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #917 on: April 12, 2020, 12:32:14 AM »
Aerith is so sassy, cute and playful. I love it.

Bae :rejoice
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #918 on: April 12, 2020, 12:38:38 AM »
I mean I never said I liked FFVII.

Himu

« Reply #919 on: April 12, 2020, 12:45:41 AM »
I mean I never said I liked FFVII.

You argued this entire time for years over a game you don't even like?

L.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #920 on: April 12, 2020, 12:47:13 AM »
You flip flop on extremes.

L.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #921 on: April 12, 2020, 12:56:29 AM »
- WRONG on Doom Eternal
- WRONG on Nier
- WRONG on Final Fantasy 7

They just keep piling, how does one hold all these Ls
fat

Himu

« Reply #922 on: April 12, 2020, 01:02:35 AM »
You flip flop on extremes.

L.

At least I don't waste my and others time :umad

I have a legitimate reason for my skepticism. I haven't thoroughly loved an FF in over a decade. My cynicism is earned. However my love for Final Fantasy is apparent. I'm willing to give it a shot because of the name, my relationship with that game, and my face palm worthy loyalty to the franchise.

Arguing this entire time in favor for a game you don't like with someone incredibly passionate about it on why their skepticism is wrong? That's on another level

MASSIVE L
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #923 on: April 12, 2020, 01:07:17 AM »
At least I don't waste my and others time :umad
Someone likes the smell of their own farts.

And surprising no one it's himuoru.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #924 on: April 12, 2020, 01:10:40 AM »
I would have more sympathy for rahx but his spelling is frankly appalling

Himu

« Reply #925 on: April 12, 2020, 01:17:57 AM »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #926 on: April 12, 2020, 01:18:23 AM »
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #927 on: April 12, 2020, 01:19:05 AM »
Its gonna be so awesome when you finally play it and actually do hate it. Boy wouldnt that be funny!!!!!!
fat

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #928 on: April 12, 2020, 02:32:26 AM »
I like the ff13 cast a lot, don't have time to write up a bunch of paragraphs defending them anymore

This game has the GOAT FF bantz tho
QED

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #929 on: April 12, 2020, 03:23:25 AM »
Just reached Wall Market. Time to get my femboi pussy desires on.

What better way to spend Easter Sunday, the day of our lord jesus christ
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #930 on: April 12, 2020, 06:59:45 AM »
I would have more sympathy for rahx but his spelling is frankly appalling
Yes, I'm infamously(among real life friends/family) bad at spelling. That dosen't mean I'm an idiot.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

Himu

« Reply #932 on: April 12, 2020, 11:38:19 AM »
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #933 on: April 12, 2020, 01:09:52 PM »
I keep listening to Air Buster theme and it's like how does this exist it really shouldn't but it does and fuck me
fat

Svejk

« Reply #934 on: April 12, 2020, 03:02:37 PM »
This combat...  I haven't wanted to fight so much in a JRPG since Grandia 2.  Loving this shit.  Im an idiot and thought Friday night I stopped at Wall Market.. it was the Sector 7 slums still.   :snoop. Haven't gotten there yet.  Had to stop after..
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sneaking into Jessie's mom's crib
[close]

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #935 on: April 12, 2020, 03:07:14 PM »
This combat...  I haven't wanted to fight so much in a JRPG since Grandia 2.  Loving this shit.  Im an idiot and thought Friday night I stopped at Wall Market.. it was the Sector 7 slums still.   :snoop. Haven't gotten there yet.  Had to stop after..
Sneaking into Jessie's mom's crib
[close]

Panty raid?  :drool
[close]
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #936 on: April 12, 2020, 03:15:17 PM »

XIII?

XIII is noticably bad though, incredibly bad, not even in the same ballpark bad compared to any mainline Final Fantasy.

Vanille was hated, Snow was hated, Lightning was a cold mop for the majority of the game, Hope was a lil momma's boy bitch, Fang was a late addition and served as a lesbian Auron, which sounds awesome but she had no noticable personality. Sazh was the only likable and relatable character in the cast.

Important word there is relatable. FFXII has weak characterization, but the characters still have personality and are relatable in their motivations.

It's telling that the most interesting route to go for XIII's characters in two sequels, was to basically make all their lives worse or meaningless.

The issue with XV isn't understanding the story, it's that the story is told in the last 10 hours, and that the first 20 really don't matter. It's front loaded with filler.

I'm not disagreeing that XIII sucked.

My point is that story has been a problem since XII. XIII's existence doesn't take away from the fact that during XII I regularly thought,"why am I doing any of this again?" and that's with at least 4 playthroughs. People have complained about SE forcing Vaan in for the longest. Ashe might as well be the main character. Vaan HATES Basch for presumably killing his brother when they first meet and that entire storyline is kaput by the time you reach the next city. Then you've got Penelo, Fran. Does Vaan have any development besides wanting to be a sky pirate? After a certain point you question why he and Penelo are even involved. FFXII is massively flawed in the story department whether the characters are "relatable" or not.

So when someone says,"I wish SE could make modern FF with likable characters again" FFXII is definitely relevant. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 03:22:15 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #937 on: April 12, 2020, 03:21:30 PM »
The entire Wall Market and Corneo section was so good. This is such a good remake. It even had the machine gun vending machine, haha
fat

Himu

« Reply #938 on: April 12, 2020, 03:27:44 PM »
The entire Wall Market and Corneo section was so good. This is such a good remake. It even had the machine gun vending machine, haha

Does it still have the girl in the bathroom sick off her tits or the guy that pays you to get something inside the vending machine at the inn because he got banned for life?

Does it still have the spray painted Avalanche wall?
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #939 on: April 12, 2020, 03:29:06 PM »
There is someone sick in the bathroom, but there's no trade sequence involved. It's pretty to the point on acquiring the dress etc

Yup, the graffiti is there as well
fat

Himu

« Reply #940 on: April 12, 2020, 03:30:05 PM »
There is someone sick in the bathroom, but there's no trade sequence involved. It's pretty to the point on acquiring the dress etc

Yup, the graffiti is there as well

OMG :rejoice
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #941 on: April 12, 2020, 03:31:55 PM »
Is the theme still some crazy ass reggae?
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

Himu

« Reply #943 on: April 12, 2020, 03:36:50 PM »
Not listening. Will enjoy for myself. :rejoice
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #944 on: April 12, 2020, 03:38:57 PM »
How is the music handled? Are there regular themes for each area or is it more ambient? How is Anxious Heart handled?
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #945 on: April 12, 2020, 03:40:18 PM »
There are themes for each area.

They do some weird FF13-ish music (think Sunleth Waterscape) when you go down the tunnels towards Wall Market (with the robot hands). Very weird choice but whatever.
fat

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #946 on: April 12, 2020, 03:41:31 PM »

Only plays in one cutscene sadly.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #947 on: April 12, 2020, 03:42:56 PM »
I dont recall hearing that but that's definitely what the Wall Market should have been playing instead. Weird
fat

Himu

« Reply #948 on: April 12, 2020, 03:43:23 PM »
What about Underneath the Rotting Pizza? :rejoice
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #949 on: April 12, 2020, 04:04:10 PM »

:rejoice

What could have been. A complete FFVII remake with the whole game in one package with a flyable Highwind and revisitable locations. Imagining a remastered version of this theme with a revamped underwater would have been :delicious Deep Sea is mostly pointless in FFVII besides finding the Gelnika and fighting Emerald Weapon. Would have been SICK AF with more shit under there pressed with the imminent thread of Emerald hounding your ass. :lawd More dungeons under water, more content, more side quests. Yaaas. Would have been great.

What could have been :tocry Oh well.

- WRONG on Doom Eternal
- WRONG on Nier
- WRONG on Final Fantasy 7

They just keep piling, how does one hold all these Ls

Put him on ignore :rejoice

Arguing for years about the merits of splitting FFVII remake up and all this shit defending some unique vision when it turns out he doesn't even like FFVII and I'm over here, with my deadass FFVII fanatic self thinking he's arguing in good faith. NO MORE  :rejoice

My FFVII Remake still hasn't shipped :tocry
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 04:13:41 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

thetylerrob

« Reply #950 on: April 12, 2020, 04:12:31 PM »
The music in this game is incredible. I love that they put in a bunch of songs in different musical styles as collectibles too.

Anyway Ms. Folia can get it  :P

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #951 on: April 12, 2020, 04:15:23 PM »
What I really wanted was to see Sabin suplex the train with these graphics.

Himu

« Reply #952 on: April 12, 2020, 04:16:02 PM »
What I really wanted was to see Sabin suplex the train with these graphics.

FFVI will never get this treatment and you know it despite it deserving it.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #953 on: April 12, 2020, 04:38:59 PM »
Put him on ignore :rejoice

Arguing for years about the merits of splitting FFVII remake up and all this shit defending some unique vision when it turns out he doesn't even like FFVII and I'm over here, with my deadass FFVII fanatic self thinking he's arguing in good faith. NO MORE  :rejoice
You know what, I'm fine with you putting me on ignore, because maybe I'll have to read less of you're annoying self-righteous posts. But I'm annoyed that you keep framing this argument I made as "Oh I think this is is a great idea". I know it helps create your false narrative of how you're the true fan and anyone who disagrees with you must be a fanboy, bias, or an idiot. But my argument for the FFVII Remake was never that it's some amazing idea. Rather that in the reality of HD console development it made sense and did'nt have to be a bad idea. That it was better to wait and see what they did with it instead of damning it from the get go because it may not be the same thing. Something you could never grasp. Which is now even funnier because of the Himouro cycle where you flip flop between extremes.  And seeing the end product, I was mostly correct.

Also I never said I dislike FFVII. I just don't rank it high, which is um....fine for someone going into a Remake because another thing you never grasped was that a remake does not have to be the same game.

My FFVII Remake still hasn't shipped
Thank god, the thread can still be readable.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #954 on: April 12, 2020, 05:41:59 PM »
The music in this game is incredible. I love that they put in a bunch of songs in different musical styles as collectibles too.

The sound mixing is pretty bad though. I can hardly hear the music with all the town people chatter, sfx, and then you’re character talking.

Kind of a downgrade from XIII which has really good audio. That game in surround sound is fucking amazing. VII Remake is pretty weak.

Even the cut scenes seem better done in XIII.

Maybe XIII is better. Sure dosen't have this super dull "sidequests". Give me a 4k HDR remaster of that. Game still looks amazing.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 05:54:32 PM by Rahxephon91 »

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #955 on: April 12, 2020, 05:42:11 PM »

What could have been. A complete FFVII remake with the whole game in one package with a flyable Highwind and revisitable locations. Imagining a remastered version of this theme with a revamped underwater would have been :delicious Deep Sea is mostly pointless in FFVII besides finding the Gelnika and fighting Emerald Weapon. Would have been SICK AF with more shit under there pressed with the imminent thread of Emerald hounding your ass. :lawd More dungeons under water, more content, more side quests. Yaaas. Would have been great.

At least we maybe have some motivation to try and stay alive until 2029 or whenever
QED

Himu

« Reply #956 on: April 12, 2020, 05:53:23 PM »

At least we maybe have some motivation to try and stay alive until 2029 or whenever

My hope is the final part of the remake trilogy will be a full, explorable world. No, that doesn't mean open. But FFVII is a fully explorable game world with a flyable vehicle where you can go under water and in the skies. You can even use chocobos to cross mountains and the seas and find hidden shit. It gets high exploratory. Finding hidden towns (Wutai), locales (Lucretia's cave, the forest near Cosmo Canyon on disc 3), and items (KOTR, ultimate weapons;etc.). It doesn't make sense to remake it without at least bringing back those elements. Part III might look the worst because of it.

But yeah we need to survive! :lawd
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #957 on: April 12, 2020, 06:04:58 PM »
God I've been enjoying this so much. Japanese games are so much better when they don't try to do the shitty overworlds with nothing in them. Just make every game a straight line like the goat FFX :tocry

Keep the shitty side quests, grindan and trash NPCs to a minimum in the next installments pls :lawd

Disgust
IYKYK

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #958 on: April 12, 2020, 06:21:04 PM »
I know everyone will hate it but personally hope they go full-on Lightning Returns for the last part with Meteor overhead
QED

thetylerrob

« Reply #959 on: April 12, 2020, 06:54:04 PM »

The sound mixing is pretty bad though. I can hardly hear the music with all the town people chatter, sfx, and then you’re character talking.

Kind of a downgrade from XIII which has really good audio. That game in surround sound is fucking amazing. VII Remake is pretty weak.

Even the cut scenes seem better done in XIII.

Maybe XIII is better. Sure dosen't have this super dull "sidequests". Give me a 4k HDR remaster of that. Game still looks amazing.
I think you’re trolling but I’m not totally up to speed on Rahx lore. The cutscenes/everything else are better by virtue of FF7 having an entertaining story and fun characters. FF13 seemed to be written by friendless virgins that had never experienced a human connection.