Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue  (Read 138066 times)

bluemax

Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake
« Reply #960 on: April 12, 2020, 07:00:27 PM »
The music in this game is incredible. I love that they put in a bunch of songs in different musical styles as collectibles too.

Anyway Ms. Folia can get it  :P
The sound mixing is pretty bad though. I can hardly hear the music with all the town people chatter, sfx, and then you’re character talking.

Kind of a downgrade from XIII which has really good audio. That game in surround sound is fucking amazing. VII Remake is pretty weak.

Even the cut scenes seem better done in XIII.

Maybe XIII is better. Sure dosen't have this super dull "sidequests". Give me a 4k HDR remaster of that. Game still looks amazing.

XIII has dumb sidequests, it just drops them all at once instead of spacing them out. 7r's areas are very constrained so the sidequests are short/quick.
NO

Rahxephon91

« Reply #961 on: April 12, 2020, 07:01:21 PM »
Well I'm not talking about the quality of the subject matter as that's up to whatever you think.

I'm talking about the technical quality of the presentation. Seeing as how this is the first FF production to have a focus on the it's cinematic aspects, it's kind of not as good as XIII.  Cutscene direction has been meh and a lot of it so far has been the awkward zoom on the face as the character "emotes" awkwardly around variety. Not only that the sound mixing is pretty bad and it seems like the music is pretty overshadowed by everything else going on. You can think whatever you want about XIII but the presentation of the game wasn't a problem.

I mean I just put the PS3 copy  in and Jesus does the audio sound great with everything coming in clear through all channels. Where as VIIR the music seems stuck on the front 2 channels, not even using the surround sound.

Which is disappointing to me as this is something I was looking forward to. I mean 14 is an MMO so these aspects I'm not looking for in it and XV was well kind of a mess when it come to presentation. VIIR is pretty much by the XIII team it seems. So I expected a huge jump from XIII.
XIII has dumb sidequests, it just drops them all at once instead of spacing them out. 7r's areas are very constrained so the sidequests are short/quick.
That I don't at all have to do or feel the need to do, unlike VIIr. I've played XIII many times, I never do the hunts.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 07:27:17 PM by Rahxephon91 »

thetylerrob

« Reply #962 on: April 12, 2020, 07:35:37 PM »
Seeing as how this is the first FF production to have a focus on the it's cinematic aspects
:confused

I think that’s a really strange argument to make though. Your example of zooming on faces isn’t accurate as there are tons of memorable, well directed moments. You can nitpick occasional awkward line deliveries if you want but to say 13 “did cutscenes better” is bizarre considering the content of those cutscenes was boring nonsense. Nobody ever played a game because of it’s exceptional sound mixing either and your issues with that seem very nitpicky as well.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #963 on: April 12, 2020, 07:37:29 PM »
Just got crashing through the church. What a game so far.

Himu

« Reply #964 on: April 12, 2020, 07:38:35 PM »
FFXIII in a nutshell

HERO HERO HERO HERO HERO HERO

Lore you need to read a datalog to understand.

Hold up dungeon "design".

Ripped off Digital Devil Saga and didn't even hide it (pink haired main character gets branded on her titty, the main cast are cursed until they reach Nirvana and fulfill their goal;etc.) except not as awesome/good and unlike FFXIII, DDS had actual dungeon design, risk/reward, resource management, customization (DDS2 has the best sphere grid derivative EVER) and is the superior rpg inspired by FFX. I'll never forget the feeling of Square Enix being topped by Atlus, the same company that had to steal from Microsoft to get money for 3D assets. 2000's pre-P4 tlus da GAWD :bow Embarrassing multi million dollar franchises outchea

The only thing the game offers are battles. Unlike other rpgs with good battle system it has nothing in the way of resource management, dungeon design, and basic rpg fundamentals. An RPG with just a good battle system. I'd rather play a fighting game :snore

Game had less npc interaction and exploration than Final Fantasy 1, a game made in the 80's on the NES

Poverty level characters. When Sazh was chasing Vanille and threatening to kill her in that abandoned theme park I was cheering for him.

WORST BIRTHDAY EVER

A game so bad it turned an FF fanatic like me into the cynic I am today. A game so bad I didnt buy a single new Final Fantasy for eight years until FFXV.

Toriyama should have been fired and I will never stop shitting on that crappy ass game.

Play Digital Devil Saga, a real game, instead.

IYKYK

Rman

« Reply #965 on: April 12, 2020, 07:43:20 PM »
The game is amazing, brehs. Nostalgia overload. While at the same time giving life to these characters. Cloud, Aeris, Tifa, and Barret, all much richness and life. 

10/10

GOTY.

Himu

« Reply #966 on: April 12, 2020, 07:43:28 PM »
Seeing as how this is the first FF production to have a focus on the it's cinematic aspects

I think that’s a really strange argument to make though. Your example of zooming on faces isn’t accurate as there are tons of memorable, well directed moments. You can nitpick occasional awkward line deliveries if you want but to say 13 “did cutscenes better” is bizarre considering the content of those cutscenes was boring nonsense. Nobody ever played a game because of it’s exceptional sound mixing either and your issues with that seem very nitpicky as well.

Rah is on ignore but that quote still shows up and it's fucking dumb dumb. FF has been focusing on cinematic aspects since VI. Arguably IV and II as well. X was the first FF with voice acting. FFVII-IX had seamless transitions between fmv and control. You were literally walking through a movie. Apparently running through a parade during an assassination attempt and a 20 minute ending on 16 bit hardware with barely any dialogue that literally pushed the SNES sound chip past its limits don't count as cinematic but ok.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #967 on: April 12, 2020, 07:44:11 PM »
The game is amazing, brehs. Nostalgia overload. While at the same time giving life to these characters. Cloud, Aeris, Tifa, and Barret, all much richness and life. 

10/10

GOTY.

Can't wait
IYKYK

Rman

« Reply #968 on: April 12, 2020, 07:44:49 PM »
God I've been enjoying this so much. Japanese games are so much better when they don't try to do the shitty overworlds with nothing in them. Just make every game a straight line like the goat FFX :tocry

Keep the shitty side quests, grindan and trash NPCs to a minimum in the next installments pls :lawd

Preach!

Himu

« Reply #969 on: April 12, 2020, 07:50:05 PM »
I love the irony of that Esch post because of the fact that FFX had the worst sidequests in the series

Chocobo racing and butterflies giving niccas PTSD :dead
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #970 on: April 12, 2020, 07:51:15 PM »

*Since FFXIII is what I meant.

ARR got rid of the motion capped cutscenes from 1.0 and only now since I guess they dropped the PS3 I guess have they been able to do more with thier cinematic. Even then thanks to the nature of the beast is there only so much they can do. Though I don't play in 5.1 since I'm on computer, I will say the audio in XIV is pretty great.

XV though had pretty bad cutscenes, a lack of FMV, and I never thought the audio sounded good. Plenty of the scenes in base XV were poorly animated and nothing to look at.

the XIII sequels are pretty low budget and Lightning Returns mostly dosen't give a shit.

XIII though did have amazing looking FMV and really well animated and directed in-game cutscenes. Probably the best of the series. And the audio mixing is a league above VIIR it seems. I mean the FMV in VIIR where it's showing the reactor explode was pretty mediocre, I mean the music was mixed in bad and had no impact to it and general sound work lack omph. Yeah the opening was amazing, so far after that it's been a letdown.

XIII did have better presented cutscenes. I mean I don't really care if you dislike the story they were telling, I did'nt. It dosen't matter though because it was presented well. There were never cheap looking cutscenes that would take me out of the experince. You can say no one played a game because blah blah and I'm nitpicking, but no I would hold FF up as the standard bearer for production values. A FF game failing in these aspects is as bad as Kojima game doing that. While I dislike MGS5 and 4, can't say they fail in thier cinematic presentation. XIII was pretty pristine in that regard. Xv wasn't. was hoping VIIR would be a return to what XIII did.

And yeah sound really matters. RE2 and 3 Remake have amazing sound design and it fucking adds to that game. It's not nitpicky at all. Sound really adds to the atmosphere and experince. Would have been great to really hear the main theme of FFVIIr when you first walk into a Midgar at morning, but the game fumbled that as the music was poorly mixed in with all the sound effects and npc chatter. Cool cinematic moment ruined by bad audio.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #971 on: April 12, 2020, 08:03:46 PM »

Rah is on ignore but that quote still shows up and it's fucking dumb dumb. FF has been focusing on cinematic aspects since VI. Arguably IV and II as well. X was the first FF with voice acting. FFVII-IX had seamless transitions between fmv and control. You were literally walking through a movie. Apparently running through a parade during an assassination attempt and a 20 minute ending on 16 bit hardware with barely any dialogue that literally pushed the SNES sound chip past its limits don't count as cinematic but ok.
Maybe don't respond to conversations if you have me on ignore you ass.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #972 on: April 12, 2020, 08:14:59 PM »
The assault on the pillar and the aftermath 

:mjcry
fat

Rman

« Reply #973 on: April 12, 2020, 08:17:05 PM »
I love the irony of that Esch post because of the fact that FFX had the worst sidequests in the series

Chocobo racing and butterflies giving niccas PTSD :dead
You forgot the worse one--dodging lighting lol!

I can't believe that was a real thing when I reached it many years ago the PS2.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #974 on: April 12, 2020, 08:21:37 PM »
People on twitter have so much better opinions than people here it's ridiculous
QED

Himu

« Reply #975 on: April 12, 2020, 08:29:30 PM »

The Bore is dog shit for game discussion. Don't expect serious discussion here. Not the place, but won't stop me because I got that special fellow in me and don't give a fuck.

Legitimate game discussion on forums is dead. SRK needs gofundmes to stay afloat. Stick to twitter for that shit.
IYKYK

Coffee Dog

« Reply #976 on: April 12, 2020, 08:33:06 PM »

Don't worry, I'm giving everyone a few weeks to beat the game before I start aggressively slagging it. (Well, slagging is a bit much, but i think it has major problems and is very inconsistent)

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #977 on: April 12, 2020, 08:36:49 PM »
getting 0:00:00 on the chocobo race was so much more frustrating than dodging lightning and i'll defend that stance til my grave

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #978 on: April 12, 2020, 08:39:57 PM »
excuse me? that fuckin onion knight was cute as shit and worth every second i spent in the thunder plains >:(

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #979 on: April 12, 2020, 08:45:30 PM »
nobody tryna discuss FF13 seriously. too busy enjoying FF7 in all its remade nostalgic goodness. ha ha expecting people to type paragraphs over that shit
fat

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #980 on: April 12, 2020, 08:48:01 PM »
unrelated 13-2 is still good and looks fucking great in 4K on xbone. time to switch over to the ms side for your ff ports, rahx.

Rman

« Reply #981 on: April 12, 2020, 08:48:55 PM »
getting 0:00:00 on the chocobo race was so much more frustrating than dodging lightning and i'll defend that stance til my grave

You actually dodged lighting 200 times?! Foh real?!

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #982 on: April 12, 2020, 08:51:00 PM »
i did every ultimate weapon trial on ps2, ps3, and pc versions :yeshrug and got the entire al bhed alphabet on them too heh

ffx is one of my favorites but even then lightning only takes like 20min once you get it down. 0:00:00 sucked ass cause it felt like luck most of the time.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #983 on: April 12, 2020, 08:51:19 PM »

It legit felt like you needed to exploit the game in some way just to get it. I still feel anxious thinking about doing it again if I ever go through X again.
:9

Himu

« Reply #984 on: April 12, 2020, 08:55:09 PM »

You actually dodged lighting 200 times?! Foh real?!

Yeah.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #985 on: April 12, 2020, 09:02:29 PM »
Best quests in X are the arena, dark aeons, the quest for the Magus Sisters and the summon duels so it's not all bad.

Speaking of X, it's easily the most popular entry after VII. I can imagine them remaking it the way they're doing VII.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #986 on: April 12, 2020, 09:10:04 PM »
i'd much rather see 6 or 9. X has been re-released a bunch lately

Rahxephon91

« Reply #987 on: April 12, 2020, 09:11:54 PM »
How about no remakes and instead new games.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #988 on: April 12, 2020, 09:13:12 PM »
well you got at least two more 7 remakes coming no matter what :doge

Himu

« Reply #989 on: April 12, 2020, 09:17:03 PM »
i'd much rather see 6 or 9. X has been re-released a bunch lately

I would too. I'm sure they'll do V and VI next ss they skipped over them for VII.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #990 on: April 12, 2020, 09:20:59 PM »

mmmm nope, more of this please. FF7 Remake :aah
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #991 on: April 12, 2020, 09:22:51 PM »
You’re already getting VII Remake.

You already got good remasters of X and XII.

We don’t need remakes of everything.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #992 on: April 12, 2020, 09:25:16 PM »
we definitely need a redo of 6 on switch

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #993 on: April 12, 2020, 09:30:01 PM »
Man, I still remember Joe breeding chocobos to get the gold chocobo and using all kinds of obscure strats to beat Emerald/Ruby Weapon back in the day. :whew

Wish they could have brought that kind of craziness back for the Remake, but whatever.
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #994 on: April 12, 2020, 09:31:29 PM »
You’re already getting VII Remake.

You already got good remasters of X and XII.

We don’t need remakes of everything.

Imagine VIII remake or IX remake in this fashion :aah

Why bother with something new? Let the other guys deal with that. Square is on the ball right now
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #995 on: April 12, 2020, 09:39:38 PM »
I can already imagine because I already know what FF9 looks like. I don't know what FF16 looks like and thats more interesting.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #996 on: April 12, 2020, 09:50:15 PM »
Nope, can't say it's that interesting. Everyone shits on the new games, why bother wasting resources on that

FF8 Remake
FF9 Remake

:aah
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #997 on: April 12, 2020, 09:52:15 PM »
Well thankfully those probably won’t happen and they will make new FFs.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #998 on: April 12, 2020, 10:18:44 PM »
Ff9 looks like fucking shit. So please give me anything but that style again. I ended up skipping it completely purely do to that art style

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #999 on: April 12, 2020, 10:28:14 PM »
...still can't deal with the combat, don't know how you sick fuckers are liking this

(jk, of course I do, YOU HAVE NO FUCKING STANDARDS)
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1000 on: April 12, 2020, 10:42:12 PM »
...still can't deal with the combat, don't know how you sick fuckers are liking this

lmao git gud scrub
dog

bluemax

« Reply #1001 on: April 12, 2020, 10:59:47 PM »
Ff9 looks like fucking shit. So please give me anything but that style again. I ended up skipping it completely purely do to that art style

I love the art and the game looks amazing with the textures cleaned up.

Anyone crack 300k in the box breaking mini game? I got to like 270k but that's about it.
NO

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1002 on: April 12, 2020, 11:14:52 PM »

Flipping to your team members isn't suggested, it's required if you want to make full use of everyone. Your teammates aren't building their ATB as fast as you would in control. Is it by design, is it shitty AI IT'S A MYSTERY. Either way flip to the next person after you use a stagger center move and keep flipping after you utilize ATB bars of everyone.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1003 on: April 12, 2020, 11:30:59 PM »

DOn't you like the Witcher 3? Bad combat should be fine for you.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1004 on: April 12, 2020, 11:35:07 PM »
Marlene is so cute oh my god
fat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1005 on: April 13, 2020, 12:08:43 AM »

Despite all rah’s rage, he’s still just a rat in a cage.

©@©™

Himu

« Reply #1006 on: April 13, 2020, 12:16:54 AM »
Nope, can't say it's that interesting. Everyone shits on the new games, why bother wasting resources on that

FF8 Remake
FF9 Remake

:aah

FF8 REMAKE WITH REVAMPED JUNCTION SYSTEM AND A JOB SYSTEM ADDED ON TOP

:rejoice
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1007 on: April 13, 2020, 12:19:08 AM »

Uncle Cloud is her Joe Biden

Himu

« Reply #1008 on: April 13, 2020, 12:33:46 AM »

Extrapolate this :dead
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1009 on: April 13, 2020, 12:43:49 AM »

Barret is what society should have been protecting Marlene from the unstableness of a violent fraud

There's literally a scene of Marlene running from Cloud and Barret saying gtf away from her you weird mofo

Himu

« Reply #1010 on: April 13, 2020, 12:55:28 AM »

Barret is what society should have been protecting Marlene from the unstableness of a violent fraud

There's literally a scene of Marlene running from Cloud and Barret saying gtf away from her you weird mofo

STAY. AWAYYYYYYYYY FROM THE CHILD!!!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1011 on: April 13, 2020, 12:56:46 AM »
Cindi can you please unblock Rhax when you get the game?

You edged us for multiple years, you can't just deny us the payoff of a lifetime.

I'm not your plaything!

What about it excites you? :Wtf
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1012 on: April 13, 2020, 12:58:29 AM »

You edged us for multiple years, you can't just deny us the payoff of a lifetime.
What payoff? Her bitching about how the game sucks?

Here I'll give the preview

"Well as such a big fan of FFVII and a real gamer, you're opinion sucks and this game sucks"

Pretty hilarious of her to play the victim, but not surprising.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 06:02:54 AM by Rahxephon91 »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1013 on: April 13, 2020, 12:59:35 AM »

STAY. AWAYYYYYYYYY FROM THE CHILD!!!

It's an initial scene but speaks to Baretts protectiveness of Marlene. It left me cold but that was me as a viewer who knew how the relationship would blossom between all these characters.

Himu

« Reply #1014 on: April 13, 2020, 01:05:54 AM »
Daddy Barret :uguu

THAT MONEY IS FOR MARLENE'S SCHOOLIN

Even when you take down the man you have to send them to college. Daddy Barret looking out :lawd
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1015 on: April 13, 2020, 01:29:49 AM »

I'm not your plaything!

What about it excites you? :Wtf
I want to finally read y'alls reaction to the game you've been fighting over for the past couple years.

It would be interesting reading your posts now that you guys aren't getting mad over hypotheticals.

Yeah but I'll post my opinions anyways and don't need to converse with him to do that.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1016 on: April 13, 2020, 01:30:57 AM »
Chapter 14 is pretty much the point of no return, giving you full access to the game and giving you new sidequests to do.
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1017 on: April 13, 2020, 01:31:51 AM »
Please don't.

Svejk

« Reply #1018 on: April 13, 2020, 01:45:01 AM »
Only starting chapter 4 and I can't believe how good this game is.  So many little surprises that make me smile or chuckle.  I'm almost to the point where I might become depressed thinking that there's no way they'll be able to pull off the next installment to the extent they did with this one... This story is never going to be finished, will it.  :-\

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1019 on: April 13, 2020, 04:02:14 AM »
You didn't like looking at the jpg of the slums down below? Or the texture streaming problems making shit look like PS1 graphics?