Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue  (Read 137781 times)

Rahxephon91

Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake
« Reply #1020 on: April 13, 2020, 04:50:39 AM »
I feel like the FF writers discovered the word “shit” while writing this game.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1021 on: April 13, 2020, 05:06:16 AM »
The game runs on UE4. Those texture issues aren't going anywhere :lol

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1022 on: April 13, 2020, 06:05:10 AM »
deleted
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 01:25:11 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Tasty

« Reply #1023 on: April 13, 2020, 07:58:56 AM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1024 on: April 13, 2020, 08:04:05 AM »
I'm fine with the remake being split into several parts as long as the parts are full-length games, which is the case so far.
40 hours for a JRPG = full length game?

:lol

Walking down linear corridors, fetch quests with cats..sounds great
What

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #1025 on: April 13, 2020, 08:13:50 AM »
Yeah 40 hours is too long.

Raist

« Reply #1026 on: April 13, 2020, 08:34:42 AM »
I'll take fetch quests with cats over "Gurolt pls halp there be monster attacking our village :derp" all day everyday.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1027 on: April 13, 2020, 09:41:31 AM »
...still can't deal with the combat, don't know how you sick fuckers are liking this

(jk, of course I do, YOU HAVE NO FUCKING STANDARDS)
What's the problem you're having?

That it's "ACTION" combat at all, and poorly done. Gimme menus or gtfo.
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1028 on: April 13, 2020, 10:16:41 AM »
Ok Boomer
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1029 on: April 13, 2020, 10:19:32 AM »
...still can't deal with the combat, don't know how you sick fuckers are liking this

So do the classic mode?
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1030 on: April 13, 2020, 10:24:24 AM »

So do the classic mode?

Classic mode is just ez mode, and the problem is not that the system is HARD, it's that the system is BAD.

Like, I get why people are enjoying the game, and good for y'all. It just sucks seeing your two favorite jrpg series (Phantasy Star and now FF) that you've been playing since they launched domestically eventually decide to be shitty arpgs. I still have Dragon Quest, Persona, and Fire Emblem for my jrpg fix, I'll survive. Just gonna pour one out for my dead homey.
yar

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1031 on: April 13, 2020, 10:29:49 AM »
This isn't really a full-on 'action' RPG either though.  It's somewhere in-between because Square gonna Square.  I mean instead of picking "attack" from a menu, I'm holding down the square button and using triangle for another attack or dodging/blocking on occasion, but the rest is all menu-based stuff. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 10:34:25 AM by bork »
ど助平

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1032 on: April 13, 2020, 10:36:21 AM »
This isn't really a full-on 'action' RPG either though.  It's somewhere in-between because Square gonna Square.  I mean instead of picking "attack" from a menu, I'm holding down the square button and using triangle for another attack or dodging/blocking on occasion, but the rest is all menu-based stuff.
This is one thing that (on principle, haven't played the full game yet) annoys me about modern Square, and hated about FFXV.
"you can have it your way!" No, it's shit, just design a combat system you're confident in, and commit, FFS, grow some balls.

Himu

« Reply #1033 on: April 13, 2020, 10:45:13 AM »
I'm fine with the remake being split into several parts as long as the parts are full-length games, which is the case so far.

You're saying this about a remake. The original midgar section is six hours long. Complaining it's 40 hours long is dumb dumb. Midgar isn't made for length. It's an intro to the game world and the setup.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1034 on: April 13, 2020, 10:47:24 AM »

So do the classic mode?

Classic mode is not traditional menu combat and it's also the same as easy mode.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1035 on: April 13, 2020, 10:56:00 AM »
Airbuster into the church fight with Reno was so good. The big strat boss battle and a duel right after :lawd

You mean the all new never before seen in FF7 scene where Reno and Cloud fight 1v1 in Aeris' church? Not bad for a remake

And no silly barrel mini game either. FF7 Remake trimming the fat and making sure we only get the real FF7 experience

What an amazing game
fat

Himu

« Reply #1036 on: April 13, 2020, 10:59:48 AM »

So do the classic mode?

Classic mode is just ez mode, and the problem is not that the system is HARD, it's that the system is BAD.

Like, I get why people are enjoying the game, and good for y'all. It just sucks seeing your two favorite jrpg series (Phantasy Star and now FF) that you've been playing since they launched domestically eventually decide to be shitty arpgs. I still have Dragon Quest, Persona, and Fire Emblem for my jrpg fix, I'll survive. Just gonna pour one out for my dead homey.

Yup. Call me a nerd but I consider it a betrayal. Let's remake StarCraft and make it turn based. :derp But Americans do not like turn based things. That's why they made it action: so it could sell maximum profit. :quark It's partially why I've been skeptical this entire time. The game was clearly made for the board room office numbers "we had a record quarter" types. A game done in focus testing rather than being made through pure passion. Meanwhile the original was such a gamble that if it didn't sell great worldwide it would have bankrupted the company. Note, FFIII (VI) sold a measly, standard 200k in North America three years prior and Europe and other territories had NEVER had a Final Fantasy ever released there before. The massive cojones of what they did is off the charts. The status of RPGs in the 90's was so bad Diablo was initially rejected because "RPGs are a dead genre" and it was highly niche on consoles and here Square is making some fucking Akira esque passion project that costs tens of millions. The pure balls on Square.

You can't access menu stuff unless you have ATB.

Airbuster into the church fight with Reno was so good. The big strat boss battle and a duel right after :lawd

You mean the all new never before seen in FF7 scene where Reno and Cloud fight 1v1 in Aeris' church? Not bad for a remake

And no silly barrel mini game either. FF7 Remake trimming the fat and making sure we only get the real FF7 experience

What an amazing game

That does sound like an improvement. The barrels have always sucked.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 11:08:01 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1037 on: April 13, 2020, 11:03:05 AM »
This game has more "pure passion" than the half baked RE3 remake and it shows, I definitely would not say theres no passion in this project
fat

Himu

« Reply #1038 on: April 13, 2020, 11:09:13 AM »
This game has more "pure passion" than the half baked RE3 remake and it shows, I definitely would not say theres no passion in this project

I'm not saying it has no passion at all. But it's also a cynical cash grab as well due to being split into parts. It can be both.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1039 on: April 13, 2020, 11:17:01 AM »
I don't know the logistics of game development to really say its a cash grab but what they've given me has my wallet wide open for whatever they do next
fat

Svejk

« Reply #1040 on: April 13, 2020, 11:18:36 AM »
If folks tried the demo and didn't enjoy the fighting, I don't think this remake will be for them...  This new battle system is engaging af and if it's not enjoyed... I wouldn't bother with this game... not even if you're just in it for the nostalgia. 

Himu

« Reply #1041 on: April 13, 2020, 11:21:49 AM »
I don't know the logistics of game development to really say its a cash grab but what they've given me has my wallet wide open for whatever they do next

That's fair. My copy has shipped. :doge
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1042 on: April 13, 2020, 11:21:57 AM »

You're saying this about a remake. The original midgar section is six hours long. Complaining it's 40 hours long is dumb dumb. Midgar isn't made for length. It's an intro to the game world and the setup.

So it doesnt need to be 40 hours (the midgar part) is what you're saying
What

Himu

« Reply #1043 on: April 13, 2020, 11:25:46 AM »

So it doesnt need to be 40 hours (the midgar part) is what you're saying

My opinion is that if you're going to split it into parts don't rely on the 6 hour intro part. At least go to I don't know, the ship across the continent, and make that the ending. But when I argue that the weirdos argue that "IT'S TOO BIG AND EXPENSIVE!!! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!" meanwhile I'm reading about cat fetch quests. Okay. Then I remember what I posted about the original FFVII above and the difference in their methodology. Old Square would have gotten what they wanted some way, some how. They were envelope pushers. A remake of a game shouldn't have to bankrupt a company but you shouldn't stretch 6 hours to 40 either. In actuality, many are beating the game in 28 hours, so the pacing may be better than I think.

If folks tried the demo and didn't enjoy the fighting, I don't think this remake will be for them...  This new battle system is engaging af and if it's not enjoyed... I wouldn't bother with this game... not even if you're just in it for the nostalgia.

I did not like combat in the demo. But I love mastering systems, tinkering with them, seeing how they work, busting them open. :doge It's a demo.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 11:44:08 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1044 on: April 13, 2020, 11:36:20 AM »
I'm not sure there's much to "break open" with this battle system a lot of it is just balancing your characters and abusing the AI (the AI usually targets the active character, so you can have support people sit back and heal/buff/debuf/attack)

But I havent touched any "Hard" content yet
fat

Himu

« Reply #1045 on: April 13, 2020, 11:37:19 AM »
I'm not sure there's much to "break open" with this battle system a lot of it is just balancing your characters and abusing the AI (the AI usually targets the active character, so you can have support people sit back and heal/buff/debuf/attack)

But I havent touched any "Hard" content yet

Yeah it sounds better with a full party.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #1046 on: April 13, 2020, 11:46:25 AM »
I need Jessie to pull my pants down and spank me   :noah

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1047 on: April 13, 2020, 11:47:34 AM »
this game fucking rules
püp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1048 on: April 13, 2020, 11:59:17 AM »
wow i agree

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The spectres are Triumph floating around going "Whereeeee areeee the menuuuuuuusssss give ussss the menuuuuuuuusssss~~~~"
[close]
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1049 on: April 13, 2020, 01:32:41 PM »
Yeah I noticed that too. I think that was intentional because it caused enough noise for Tifa to come out and be like "what the fuck is wrong with you nicca!?"
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1050 on: April 13, 2020, 03:16:47 PM »

Yes.
dog

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1051 on: April 13, 2020, 03:18:50 PM »
Chrono Trigger's like 25 hours and that's everyone's favourite?

Himu

« Reply #1052 on: April 13, 2020, 03:25:40 PM »

Yes.

Yeah, pretty much. Not everyone wants a 100 hour slog like Persona 5.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1053 on: April 13, 2020, 03:36:49 PM »
when i finish / platinum this, im definitely fiending for an original replay.

oh yes.
fat

Himu

« Reply #1054 on: April 13, 2020, 03:45:49 PM »
Jesus Christ, IV and VI without Phoenix Cave and Tower Zot. Kill me now. VI doesn't even work without exploration, whether in WoB or WoR. I have never found someone's RPG opinions so offensive. :stahp
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1055 on: April 13, 2020, 03:48:07 PM »
Those would still be in the game in some capacity, just in a linear tunnel (with ladders) haha

But fighting the Four Fiends :drool
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1056 on: April 13, 2020, 03:48:45 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 01:25:01 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #1057 on: April 13, 2020, 03:49:22 PM »
Those would still be in the game in some capacity, just in a linear tunnel (with ladders) haha

No :stahp

Make it stop :stop
IYKYK

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #1058 on: April 13, 2020, 04:00:35 PM »
FF7R actually adds a new kinda-sorta Phoenix Cave-like dungeon!
QED

Himu

« Reply #1059 on: April 13, 2020, 04:03:01 PM »

Splitting up the party?

Solving puzzles?

I've heard dungeons actually get expounded upon, contrary to what Esch says. The Train Graveyard has been beefed up apparently. Good. Hopefully it and the sewers are better. The sewers suck in FFVII OG.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1060 on: April 13, 2020, 04:17:55 PM »
I'm not against dungeons or side quests but they have to be lean and fun and the remake strikes the perfect balance.

Nah, dungeons should be labyrinths that whittle down your resources to make you pause and think. RPGs are thinking games. Narrative is important but should never take over the bread and butter of resource management and exploration. Phoenix Cave is an hour long dungeon that takes full advantage of the games systems. Not every dungeon should be a labyrinth like the Tower of Zot and some should be straight forward, but when it's on it's gotta be on.

The only reason FFX is successful in what it did (linear with light dungeons) is because of the plot. They're on the way to a predetermined destination and the plot is the focus. It has side dungeons that are pretty good like Omega Ruins and Yojimbo's cave. So it works. But that style of RPG, which is linear and gated, is very limited. Final Fantasy IV is almost as linear as X already. It's usually from A to B and the party is almost always predetermined. This makes IV boring to replay, because it's mostly a traintrack, has zero customization, almost zero options, zero choice. FFX is the same. It fucking sucks replaying it. Tidus kills dogs, Wakka kills birds;etc. Train track to the next cutscene. :snore Only until FFX International with its added Advanced Sphere Grid which allows the player a semblance of choice did FFX gain any inherent replay value beyond its fantastic story.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1061 on: April 13, 2020, 04:18:39 PM »
I'm not against dungeons or side quests but they have to be lean and fun and the remake strikes the perfect balance.

Nah, dungeons should be labyrinths that whittle down your resources to make you pause and think. RPGs are thinking games. Narrative is important but should never take over the bread and butter of resource management and exploration. Phoenix Cave is an hour long dungeon that takes full advantage of the games systems. Not every dungeon should be a labyrinth like the Tower of Zot and some should be straight forward, but when it's on it's gotta be on.

The only reason FFX is successful in what it did (linear with light dungeons) is because of the plot. They're on the way to a predetermined destination and the plot is the focus. It has side dungeons that are pretty good like Omega Ruins and Yojimbo's cave. So it works. But that style of RPG, which is linear and gated, is very limited. Final Fantasy IV is almost as linear as X already. It's usually from A to B and the party is almost always predetermined. This makes IV boring to replay, because it's mostly a traintrack, has zero customization, almost zero options, zero choice. FFX is the same. It fucking sucks replaying it. Tidus kills dogs, Wakka kills birds;etc. Train track to the next cutscene. :snore Only until FFX International with its added Advanced Sphere Grid which allows the player a semblance of choice did FFX gain any inherent replay value beyond its fantastic story.

Imagine having a franchise where you have to successfully appeal to both of these type of players. :heh No sympathy there.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 04:23:18 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1062 on: April 13, 2020, 04:20:55 PM »

Splitting up the party?

Solving puzzles?

I've heard dungeons actually get expounded upon, contrary to what Esch says. The Train Graveyard has been beefed up apparently. Good. Hopefully it and the sewers are better. The sewers suck in FFVII OG.

I'm not sure what Recursive is talking about, but the Train Graveyard feels like any other dungeon in the game. Straightforward with some twists and turns and you hit a couple switches to make progress. It's fine though - they did a good job with the Train Graveyard. Like a remake should. Unlike Resident Evil 3.
fat

Himu

« Reply #1063 on: April 13, 2020, 04:21:41 PM »

Splitting up the party?

Solving puzzles?

I'm not sure what Recursive is talking about, but the Train Graveyard feels like any other dungeon in the game. Straightforward with some twists and turns and you hit a couple switches to make progress. It's fine though - they did a good job with the Train Graveyard. Like a remake should. Unlike Resident Evil 3.

I'm sure with the perspective change Train Graveyard is great. :drool
IYKYK

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #1064 on: April 13, 2020, 04:24:59 PM »

I don't want to get your hopes up too much  :lol , it's definitely not at the same scale at all but I still thought it was neat
QED

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1065 on: April 13, 2020, 04:25:26 PM »
This game is a really good remake - it's so cool seeing these environments that were these 2D painted on top-down views before. The nostalgia is so off the charts :lawd

It makes me excited to see other environments like Cosmo Canyon, Gold Saucer (!!) and more. I hope they nail it in the next episode.
fat

Himu

« Reply #1066 on: April 13, 2020, 04:26:02 PM »
This game is a really good remake - it's so cool seeing these environments that were these 2D painted on top-down views before. The nostalgia is so off the charts :lawd

Yeah I can't wait to see that :drool
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1067 on: April 13, 2020, 04:29:09 PM »

I don't want to get your hopes up too much  :lol , it's definitely not at the same scale at all but I still thought it was neat

I'm not expecting the same scale. Even Dragon Quest has fucking save points in dungeons now. Disgust. :pacspit

Honestly, gimmicks and light "push this button" puzzles is a step up from the dungeon "design" in the shit game that is FFXIII. So I'm not really complaining as it will lead to something with more depth eventually.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1068 on: April 13, 2020, 04:31:06 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 01:24:49 PM by Rahxephon91 »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1069 on: April 13, 2020, 04:34:25 PM »
Speaking of cats, that tease of Cait Sith  :whew
fat

Himu

« Reply #1070 on: April 13, 2020, 04:44:24 PM »

My point is simply that this game shows that it's possible to reimagine parts of final fantasy that were fun to play when we were 10yo virgins and had unlimited time to grind to something that feels less repetitive and more meaningful vis-a-vis the time spent. I have no problem with completely ripping out the idea of what these games were to make them enjoyable to play in 2020. I don't have pre-set ideas of what a dungeon should be or what you do in them, i don't mind puzzles or battles, as long as it looks and plays good. I don't really care too much about replay value or NG.

It doesn't matter whether a cat is black or white, as long as it catches mice! :trumps

I like to replay RPGs and I like story in rpgs but I also need something meaty too. Otherwise I might as well just play a visual novel. I just don't see the point in an RPG without exploration or the town -> dungeon -> town -> dungeon gameplay loop. It's why I transitioned to gameplay heavy dungeon crawlers. That said, not every RPG has to be deep to be enjoyable. I'm just now finishing up Mario RPG and it's pretty light, but it still has the basic RPG fundamentals. When it comes to FF though, I come with set expectations. I really enjoy exploring the world in an FF game. Getting the airship is always the best part. I really like choices. Choice is probably FF tradition as much as Chocobos and moogles because in FF1 you can pick your party out of any kind of job configuration. Deciding how you want to play has been a part of FF for so long.

It isn't really a coincidence my favorite FF games are ones are about making choices or exploration (V, VI, VIII, XII, X International, Tactics) versus the games that are far more story-oriented railroads (IV, VII, IX, XIII).
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1071 on: April 13, 2020, 04:52:44 PM »
Fucking crushed the squat challenge. This Rican got rhythm
:9

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1072 on: April 13, 2020, 04:54:53 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 01:24:37 PM by Rahxephon91 »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1073 on: April 13, 2020, 04:55:50 PM »

That's pussy mode. Wait till Chapter 14, haha
fat

Raist

« Reply #1074 on: April 13, 2020, 04:57:09 PM »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1075 on: April 13, 2020, 05:00:13 PM »

That's pussy mode. Wait till Chapter 14, haha

Oh fuck it gets harder?  :lol can't wait now
:9

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1076 on: April 13, 2020, 05:07:46 PM »

Himu

« Reply #1077 on: April 13, 2020, 05:09:55 PM »
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1078 on: April 13, 2020, 05:13:25 PM »
BIGGUMUS REX

REGINALDO

MISTER SMALLS
fat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1079 on: April 13, 2020, 05:19:07 PM »
Identical fur patterns. Did they escape Hojo's lab?