Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue  (Read 137755 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake
« Reply #1140 on: April 14, 2020, 12:58:30 PM »
Yup pull ups is probably the hardest trophy in the game.

Mine was 44-43
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1141 on: April 14, 2020, 12:59:52 PM »
Yeah I am pretty pretty sure you could.

Yeah, you can in the demo just like the full game- using the d-pad to switch characters.

You don't understand. Switching characters is possible but I don't recall being able to issue a command for another character while playing as another in the demo (L2). That goes a long way for playability and makes the combat very smooth and traditional FF like.

The Scorpion was great this time and didn't feel like a boring time sink.

I do understand- it's in the demo.  That whole segment is virtually the same as the final game from a gameplay standpoint.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1142 on: April 14, 2020, 01:04:07 PM »
I guess I was wrong and I went into the demo with bad faith
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #1143 on: April 14, 2020, 01:07:47 PM »
Just got to Chapter 5.  Serious GOTY contender.   :rejoice

May not have a chance to play again till Friday.  :(

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1144 on: April 14, 2020, 01:07:50 PM »
it's ok to admit you were wrong. now sit back and enjoy the ride that is final fantasy 7 remake
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1145 on: April 14, 2020, 01:10:12 PM »

May not have a chance to play again till Friday:(

You keep saying this, then end up playing another chapter.  :P  :D
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1146 on: April 14, 2020, 01:13:19 PM »
Holy shit. The rearranged Shinra theme and the post bombing aftermath to the train station is utterly fantastic.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #1147 on: April 14, 2020, 01:14:22 PM »

May not have a chance to play again till Friday:(

You keep saying this, then end up playing another chapter.  :P  :D
I know!  I have been breaking my own rule of not playing on weekdays.  Fuck work and sleep.  :lol

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1148 on: April 14, 2020, 01:17:52 PM »
If I didnt have to work (from home lul) I'd be pulling all nighters... but I settle for 2am and regret it in the morning
fat

Svejk

« Reply #1149 on: April 14, 2020, 01:19:40 PM »
If I didnt have to work (from home lul) I'd be pulling all nighters... but I settle for 2am and regret it in the morning
that's kinda where I'm headed. lol

Svejk

« Reply #1150 on: April 14, 2020, 01:25:13 PM »
FF7 title theory:

Part 1: Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Part 2: Final Fantasy 7 Remix
Part 3: Final Fantasy 7... Revolutions?
My guess is that they're just going to tack on a PART II, III.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #1151 on: April 14, 2020, 01:31:43 PM »
lol knowing square before part two they'll take us on a ten year ride via switch, mobile and Vita exclusives of separate super important lore....

Looking at you Kingdom Hearts.

Himu

« Reply #1152 on: April 14, 2020, 01:38:27 PM »
For all the talk that this is an action game it plays like a turn based game due to its defensive nature. You have to block gun attacks in normal mode and when they stop shooting, you attack, using your turn. There's a rhythm to combat if block -> attack -> bait in punisher more to punish a melee attack -> counter -> block again. It's pretty good and all the systems come together.
IYKYK

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1153 on: April 14, 2020, 02:26:11 PM »
Finally had the chance/motivation to stick in a couple of hours on this today

:rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

I'm even enjoying the early bog standard side quests.
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #1154 on: April 14, 2020, 02:35:00 PM »
FF7 title theory:

Remake
Reunion
~compilation of FF title~
Resolution
~sequel~

I’m fairly certain they will continue with the current status quo of having two teams work on FF.

I’m imagining compilation of FF (or just a Crisis Core retcon game) will allow Nomura to produce other creative pursuits after 2 more years of this.

:ohhh

:bow

FF7 title theory:

FF7 Remake is the first time Square's appended "Remake" to one of their remake titles. Could just be in vogue now (see Capcom) but they called the old ones (FF3, FF4) just the same name, makes me think something is up, especially with "Part 1" being nowhere in the official title either.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1155 on: April 14, 2020, 02:40:58 PM »
i kinda hope they go full :derp and give the next parts some kingdom hearts spinoff style ludicrous titles
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #1156 on: April 14, 2020, 02:41:44 PM »
I even like the crap fetch quests in this :rejoice
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1157 on: April 14, 2020, 02:43:43 PM »
I even like the crap fetch quests in this :rejoice

Checking out the slums with Tifa-tan  :heart
:uguu

Making the shopkeeper jelly
 :marimo
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1158 on: April 14, 2020, 02:46:07 PM »
Anxious Heart or Underneath the Rotting Pizza would have been a better choice of music than the main theme for Sector 7 but I get it. They wanted to use that theme somewhere.

But the main theme gives the feeling of adventure. Not a feeling of an oppressed people living in poverty.

Only complaint I have so far besides too much Sephiroth.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1159 on: April 14, 2020, 03:03:03 PM »
Love the little nods. The neighborhood watch room is designed after the beginners hall in the original. Even has the crates against the wall. No talking treasure chest though ;)
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1160 on: April 14, 2020, 03:14:28 PM »
they do a pretty decent job of illustrating the class divide between the pizza and the slums over the story course, i'm only on chapter 8(?) and they expounded on it a bit from where you are.

Oh, they're doing a great job with that. I'm just questioning their music choices so far is all. :)
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1161 on: April 14, 2020, 03:30:14 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 01:22:58 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #1162 on: April 14, 2020, 03:56:46 PM »
Johnny :rejoice
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1163 on: April 14, 2020, 03:58:33 PM »
FF7 title theory:

Final Fantasy VII 2.22
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1164 on: April 14, 2020, 04:25:52 PM »
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Final Fantasy 7 Reloaded
Final Fantasy 7 Revolutions
dog

Coffee Dog

« Reply #1165 on: April 14, 2020, 04:50:24 PM »
For all the talk that this is an action game it plays like a turn based game due to its defensive nature. You have to block gun attacks in normal mode and when they stop shooting, you attack, using your turn. There's a rhythm to combat if block -> attack -> bait in punisher more to punish a melee attack -> counter -> block again. It's pretty good and all the systems come together.

I mean, it's not an action game at all under any sort of scrutiny. It's a turn based game that has real time elements appended onto it, but those real time elements just boil down to "dont stand in the fire" and maybe "kill the adds".

When you take a game that is turn based and adapt it very directly and literally it to occur in real time, you're left with an MMO. And that's really what it plays like, the major bosses all have a focus on the most efficient way of sponging damage while staying out of the fire. You could drag and drop all the major VR battles into FFXIV and they would play exactly the same (except FFXIV raids have more unique per fight mechanics, lol), even more so than something like FF12 which never used real time MMO boss fight tropes in that way, sticking to straight number crunching.

That's why I wince at every attempt to compare this to actual action games that have hitstun and real dodging like KH or even FFXV. It's an offline MMO with your spammable moves bound to square and triangle. Which, fine, i'm not saying that's bad, but it's seemingly only that way to convince people who just start the game that they're playing an action title rather than just cutting all the boring meter building/cooldown/MMO chaff for a more to the point turn based system. It's a roundabout approach that only makes sense if the developers are more concerned with how it's perceived than how tightly it actually plays.  (They're totally in the right given the success of the game)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 04:58:17 PM by Coffee Dog »

Himu

« Reply #1166 on: April 14, 2020, 05:05:54 PM »

I mean, it's not an action game at all under any sort of scrutiny. It's a turn based game that has real time elements appended onto it, but those real time elements just boil down to "dont stand in the fire" and maybe "kill the adds".

When you take a game that is turn based and adapt it very directly and literally it to occur in real time, you're left with an MMO. And that's really what it plays like, the major bosses all have a focus on the most efficient way of sponging damage while staying out of the fire. You could drag and drop all the major VR battles into FFXIV and they would play exactly the same (except FFXIV raids have more unique per fight mechanics, lol), even more so than something like FF12 which never used real time MMO boss fight tropes in that way, sticking to straight number crunching.

That's why I wince at every attempt to compare this to actual action games that have hitstun and real dodging like KH or even FFXV. It's an offline MMO with your spammable moves bound to square and triangle. Which, fine, i'm not saying that's bad, but it's seemingly only that way to convince people who just start the game that they're playing an action title rather than just cutting all the boring meter building/cooldown/MMO chaff for a more to the point turn based system. It's a roundabout approach that only makes sense if the developers are more concerned with how it's perceived than how tightly it actually plays.  (They're totally in the right given the success of the game)

I'm fine with all of this. FFXII also had real time elements tied to menu based combat. That's all I've wanted from the game. I'm fine with that. Why does it being mmo-esque matter? I don't want an action game. I got what I wanted.

I'm confused by your post. It comes off as an endorsement in my eyes. "You could drop the VR missions in FFXIV and they'd play the same" Hell yeah. What I've played of XIV is basically more XII system.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 05:10:02 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1167 on: April 14, 2020, 05:11:04 PM »
Wow flip flopping.

Who could have seen this comming?

Give it a rest... bitch!
:9

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1168 on: April 14, 2020, 05:13:48 PM »
"It's nothing personal... bitch!"

Rude living up to his namesake

The whole plate drop run has been glorious

nothing personnel, kid
dog

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1169 on: April 14, 2020, 05:14:28 PM »
They fucking nailed Wall Market. All of it :rejoice

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1170 on: April 14, 2020, 05:16:38 PM »
edited
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:51:25 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1171 on: April 14, 2020, 05:16:54 PM »
finally got my fucking copy. glancing thru the artbook and i see they added in a character from one of the compilation novels, so I'm extra hyped for some deep nerd lore
pcp

Himu

« Reply #1172 on: April 14, 2020, 05:20:11 PM »
Rah still going at it? Must have missed the post where I took my friends advice to give things a chance and go in with no expectations. That way i can be surprised by the good ones and learn a lesson in game design from the bad ones.

It paid off :rejoice What a surprise what happens when you open your mind :rejoice

Open your heart - it's gonna be alright! :bow
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1173 on: April 14, 2020, 05:27:37 PM »
edited
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:51:33 PM by Rahxephon91 »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1174 on: April 14, 2020, 05:29:29 PM »
:rejoice

the fuckery from this game never ends

Himu

« Reply #1175 on: April 14, 2020, 05:30:01 PM »
I thought they'd cut out the Shinra manager but they kept him in so he could play the political moderate role :rejoice Out here demanding respectability politics and shit.

The Beginners Hall is still called that but that won't make sense to new players. Oh well, fuck em! :lawd
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1176 on: April 14, 2020, 05:30:23 PM »

the fuckery from this game never ends

IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1177 on: April 14, 2020, 05:40:02 PM »
edited
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:51:40 PM by Rahxephon91 »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1178 on: April 14, 2020, 05:46:15 PM »
Doing a replay of the OG after this. I need the continuation.
:9

Tasty

« Reply #1179 on: April 14, 2020, 05:50:59 PM »

Looking to start a first-time playthrough soon, so please make a thread when you do. :)

Himu

« Reply #1180 on: April 14, 2020, 05:51:12 PM »
This game gets rpg fundamentals better than most modern FF's. Gill is limited, resources have a cost. You have 2000 Gill and Phoenix downs cost 300 each. You want a few in your sack meanwhile accessories can cost a penny too. An iron bangle costs 1000 Gill.

That decision making on what to do with available resources :drool

If this went all the way to Costa Del Sol this would be among the best remakes ever. Shame it's only Midgar.

I still haven't finished my current replay so I'll join you.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1181 on: April 14, 2020, 06:06:17 PM »
Whoever said this had no hunts is a liar. This game owns.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1182 on: April 14, 2020, 06:12:38 PM »
The rest of you are pathetic. You pieces of shit had no problem shitting on me for defending the game and are now “ oh what a good game and Cindi you’re so cool hope you enjoy the game!”.

Like fuck you, this person acted like a pretentious ass for years over this game. Right up to release and everyone’s dandy about that?
hey man i barely read anything on our gaming board cause like politics threads only bad things happen here

Himu

« Reply #1183 on: April 14, 2020, 06:26:08 PM »
Owns

See how much damage this sucker did? Jesus. Caught me by surprise.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1184 on: April 14, 2020, 07:26:10 PM »
The rest of you are pathetic. You pieces of shit had no problem shitting on me for defending the game and are now “ oh what a good game and Cindi you’re so cool hope you enjoy the game!”.

Like fuck you, this person acted like a pretentious ass for years over this game. Right up to release and everyone’s dandy about that?

what are you even talking about? all your posts are doing the complete opposite of defending the game. lmao
fat

Svejk

« Reply #1185 on: April 14, 2020, 07:40:37 PM »
Owns

See how much damage this sucker did? Jesus. Caught me by surprise.
Even though you can parry with power stance, you should reserve that more for after the stagger is triggered, and stick with standard attack to build atb quicker.  :)

Himu

« Reply #1186 on: April 14, 2020, 07:46:24 PM »
I'm sti figuring it out but Parry feels like it builds stagger fast
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1187 on: April 14, 2020, 07:48:00 PM »
Personally I dont use Punisher Mode much, I just constantly attack and roll. When you get the "Assess" materia you can start scanning and it will give tips on how to stagger enemies quicker.
fat

Himu

« Reply #1188 on: April 14, 2020, 07:59:02 PM »
I got assess. I'll use it more often

Tifa is much better in this than the original. In the og all she offers is a romance interest on disc 1 - an alternative to Aerith so to speak. Here, she protests the bombings and there's tension within Avalanche. I fucking love it.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1189 on: April 14, 2020, 08:02:07 PM »
She is definitely more involved, but she still gets jealous over Aerith's flirting at one point, then she... just stops.
fat

Himu

« Reply #1190 on: April 14, 2020, 08:17:13 PM »
Forced Thrust's animation is so rad. Never get tired of it.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1191 on: April 14, 2020, 08:19:23 PM »
edited
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 01:22:08 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #1192 on: April 14, 2020, 08:23:43 PM »
They played On That Day Five Years Ago and with these graphics and the situation in the slums my eyes just filled up with tears. God I love FFVII. :tocry

IYKYK

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #1193 on: April 14, 2020, 08:25:13 PM »
something tells me aerith got a hairy vegena and i want to see it.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #1194 on: April 14, 2020, 08:39:10 PM »

I'm fine with all of this. FFXII also had real time elements tied to menu based combat. That's all I've wanted from the game. I'm fine with that. Why does it being mmo-esque matter? I don't want an action game. I got what I wanted.

I'm confused by your post. It comes off as an endorsement in my eyes. "You could drop the VR missions in FFXIV and they'd play the same" Hell yeah. What I've played of XIV is basically more XII system.

It's not really meant as an endorsement or not, just an analysis of what the combat system is in practice, versus what is initially impressed on the player by having the enemies up to the guard scorpion die to your square button and vestigal mechanics like Cloud's dodge (and, you know, how it was marketed as an Action-RPG).

You say you weren't looking for an action game, but you definitely still got one, technically speaking. It's just in the vein of world of warcraft rather than kingdom hearts. When you aren't taking your turn, theres going to be lots of very straightforward "enemy drops pain circles on the ground, time to move" and "enemy is charging in a straight line across the arena, gotta move" which are pretty basic action interactions that occur outside of the numbers framework everything else runs on. This about as far as that style of fight design can go given that it has to operate under the assumption your characters have no reliable way to influence the behaviour of your superarmored enemies. In an MMO, this is a necessary compromise, allowing a game to still be possible when 25 seperate players are all trying to punch the same target while they want people to wake up and not just do their spell rotation. In FFVII ReMake, this accomplishes largely the same effect, giving you something to do during the downtime of firing off your spells and taking your turn.

I think invoking FFXII is actually really appropriate, because I'm of the belief FFXII would not be a better game if I had to manually take control of each of my characters to steer them away from aoe's. I think that would have added a bunch of banal, noninteresting busywork between the actual RPG mechanics that I'm invested in, and would have lengthened the fights of a game whose engagements take longer than they should. I feel similarly here, but obviously that's just personal taste, not some kind of objective indictment of Remake.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:50:49 PM by Coffee Dog »

Himu

« Reply #1195 on: April 14, 2020, 09:52:52 PM »
Roche sucks and is try hard.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1196 on: April 14, 2020, 10:33:26 PM »
Roche sucks and is try hard.

It seemed like he was going to play a pretty big role in the story and so far he's only showed up in one chapter for about five minutes. :heh
dog

Himu

« Reply #1197 on: April 14, 2020, 10:47:24 PM »
Svejik was right. Regular combat mode leads to fast ATB gains. Love the battle system.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1198 on: April 14, 2020, 10:59:08 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 01:22:27 PM by Rahxephon91 »

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #1199 on: April 14, 2020, 11:36:28 PM »
The battle system that was the same in the demo. That you said was garbage. That you spent years saying was a huge mistake and people were idiots and had low standards for being ok with.
You seem be holding a lot of negative energy and care what other people like, you shouldn't. Just enjoy what you enjoy and move on from things you don't. If I went in every god of war thread I could find picking fights with people who like those pieces of shit I would have died froma  stress induced brain hemorrhage, be more zen  :pimp