Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue  (Read 137759 times)

Himu

Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake
« Reply #1380 on: April 18, 2020, 11:06:10 AM »
The Elmyra flashback in hd modern graphics :rejoice

Aerith is my favorite FFVII character so I'm :lawd at seeing my girl just do damage in this game and all of her pivotal scenes with better graphics.

"Mommy don't be sad. Someone that you care about a lot was coming to see you but he has returned to the planet." My God I should have made a separate save file like back in the day to relive that scene.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1381 on: April 18, 2020, 11:12:04 AM »
I noticed that NPCs got reused sometimes, but I didn't care because it wasn't a big deal and didn't effect my enjoyment of the game.
dog

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1382 on: April 18, 2020, 11:34:18 AM »
No "This guy are sick" line in this game. Awful.

7/10

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #1384 on: April 18, 2020, 11:53:21 AM »
Got to wall market. Cummy as cuck

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1385 on: April 18, 2020, 12:01:33 PM »
I have no idea who you are responding to and refuse to click your spoiler.

Not to you or anyone else, otherwise I would have quoted someone.

And obviously you shouldn't read that spoiler no - that's why it's a spoiler  :-*

Raist

« Reply #1386 on: April 18, 2020, 12:04:30 PM »
Also can you not interact with npc's at all in the game?

There's like, a trillion of them.
You can "interact" with the majority of them, as in they will have a couple lines of dialogues if you stand next to them (no need to press a button). That's pretty much equivalent to every RPG ever.

In any case it's slightly amusing for you to point that stuff out when you're stanning so much for TW3 :lol

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1387 on: April 18, 2020, 12:26:34 PM »
Both Chapter 11 bosses on Hard Mode got me heated. But I won, moving on
fat

Himu

« Reply #1388 on: April 18, 2020, 12:51:45 PM »
HOLY SHIT

/freakout_colbert.gif

Post sector 7 plate is blowing my fucking mind!! :bow
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1389 on: April 18, 2020, 12:56:57 PM »
They truly did the Evangelion Rebuild route and it's GLORIOUS
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1390 on: April 18, 2020, 01:55:30 PM »
this is the most surprising cindi 180, I feel like this was aimed to target you personally

not gonna lie

??

180 from what and target me how
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1391 on: April 18, 2020, 02:10:10 PM »
I was worried how they would treat it compare to the original but I've also said multiple times I'm fine with story changes so long as they're good (emphasis). Compilation offered nothing good or worth saving. It was a disaster.

I've said multiple times I'm down with changes. Cut out Cait Sith and stick with Reeve - Cait sucks balls. Kill Aerith earlier than expected to throw fans for a loop. It's a remake after all. Even REmake reshuffles, rearranged, and changes the story. Surprise me.

RahX and others wrongly assume I'm a purist. I'm not. I just want something GOOD (emphasis). You interpret my prior criticism towards any chance and really, it's change towards the worse. Given Genesis and Crisis Core, Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus and the whole Hojo affair, the characterizations of Cloud and Aerith in Kingdom Hearts, there's far more evidence in my corner than anyone initially going into this with hype that this would be a shit show.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1392 on: April 18, 2020, 02:17:38 PM »
and its non-turn base nature

Game barely has arpg sensibilities like hit boxes lol. Hit an attack or ability and character will literally jet across the screen to use it. The combat is just an evolution on active battle combat. Nothing more. It's not turn based, but it's definitely time based and almost no different than previous FF battle system efforts. It's basically IV, X-2, XIII, and Valkyrie Profile 2 thrown into a blender. Unlike XV it's barely an action rpg and far more command based (emphasis).

I play FF on active mode fastest speed. Wait mode is for suckers. :snob VII R's battle system is just a continuation of that once you get used to it.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1393 on: April 18, 2020, 02:18:16 PM »
It’s pretty much confirmed Cait is going to be in, I expect him to be to good though

Unfortunately a certain scene did confirm this.

I was very annoyed. God I hate that character.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1394 on: April 18, 2020, 02:24:04 PM »
ending talk:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I love the "twist" because it reminded me of Lost's "flash-forward" where they suddenly remember their other lives - the scene where Cloud sees Aeris dying and crying over it reminded me of it.

Red 13 says after seeing the cutscene post-OG ending and says "this is what happens if we fail" which is funny because they won in the end so Red's comment seems weird, or he misinterpreted it because (that) Red doesn't actually know what's going on in that scene.

It seems like only Aerith knows what's going on and being coy about it - probably knows she will die anyway
[close]
fat

Cheddahz

« Reply #1395 on: April 18, 2020, 02:28:42 PM »
much rather only be able to talk to a few npcs who have unique dialogue and not every npc who recycle the same three lines over and over again

Himu

« Reply #1396 on: April 18, 2020, 02:34:28 PM »
much rather only be able to talk to a few npcs who have unique dialogue and not every npc who recycle the same three lines over and over again

It also does the job. In FFVII you talk to the guy in sector 5 and he talks about avalanche and Shinra while watching the report on the Reactor 5 explosion. Here, you see people in sector 5 crowding around a massive tv. You hear tons of what people think of the situation and it's a very realized place. In VII og you have like two towns - one character talks about how she walks without looking on the ground and half of the npcs in the wall market concern themselves with Cloud's prior cross dressing and say nothing about the plate drop.

In terms of sheer atmosphere and variety of gathering how the locales feel about the events through out the game, FFVII Remake is superior.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1397 on: April 18, 2020, 04:36:28 PM »

huh? i spent an hour in sector 7 walking around listening to all the conversations and each one was unique. and most of them got updated after story events. the amount of unique npc dialog has been insane so far.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #1398 on: April 18, 2020, 04:57:33 PM »

huh? i spent an hour in sector 7 walking around listening to all the conversations and each one was unique. and most of them got updated after story events. the amount of unique npc dialog has been insane so far.

Cheddar is saying FF7R sounds more the former than the latter.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 05:21:49 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Raist

« Reply #1399 on: April 18, 2020, 05:17:09 PM »
ending talk:

I love the "twist" because it reminded me of Lost's "flash-forward" where they suddenly remember their other lives - the scene where Cloud sees Aeris dying and crying over it reminded me of it.

Red 13 says after seeing the cutscene post-OG ending and says "this is what happens if we fail" which is funny because they won in the end so Red's comment seems weird, or he misinterpreted it because (that) Red doesn't actually know what's going on in that scene.

It seems like only Aerith knows what's going on and being coy about it - probably knows she will die anyway
[close]

Well the glimpses they get don't seem all that good so I guess it would be fair enough to make that mistake.

What I'm not sure about is them potentially introducing a 3rd timeline with Zack presumably surviving. That seems a bit much.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1400 on: April 18, 2020, 10:27:22 PM »
10/10 GOTY  :delicious
©@©™

Svejk

« Reply #1401 on: April 19, 2020, 05:08:42 AM »
Finally hearing Under the Rotting Pizza remix.  Joy..  :rejoice

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1402 on: April 19, 2020, 05:20:26 PM »
Platinum finished. See you for the next one
fat

Himu

« Reply #1403 on: April 19, 2020, 07:37:26 PM »
Doing sidequests in Chapter 14, god what a good ass game.

So fun and satisfying.

Literally my only complaint is that I wanted to really have an openworld plate segment, but that's really minor.

Same.

My complaints:

- Roche. Wtf.
- Train Graveyard too long.
- Cait Sith tease during such an emotional, serious moment. God I hate that character.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 07:42:01 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1404 on: April 19, 2020, 07:54:10 PM »
This did open my mind to the possibilities of a 30 hour JRPG

Chrono trigger? Parasite Eve or Suikoden?

10-20 hour RPGs are extremely underrated.  The good news is that they often offer many reasons to replay.

I guess it's wrong to say short jrpgs are underrated. That is one element of them that's always praised. I guess the issue is that they're just not that common compared to RPGs that last 40-60.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 08:07:37 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1405 on: April 19, 2020, 08:17:45 PM »
FFVIIR offers multitudes of builds, options, and customization. There's more materia than you can possibly even equip which forces you to choose. FFVIIR, more than any single player FF since XII, realizes that the behind the mechanisms of FF the series, with few exceptions, is basically about choice and curating your own game experience in a limited, albeit rewarding, manner. Did a great job here.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1406 on: April 19, 2020, 08:45:10 PM »
just got aerith. fuck me this game is so fun. no spoilers, but is the game fully linear or will there be a point before shinra tower (or whatever the endgame is) where i can go back to areas?
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1407 on: April 19, 2020, 08:51:06 PM »
just got aerith. fuck me this game is so fun. no spoilers, but is the game fully linear or will there be a point before shinra tower (or whatever the endgame is) where i can go back to areas?

You can go back to all the slum areas [except Sector 7] before you head up to Shinra Tower.
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1408 on: April 19, 2020, 08:51:26 PM »
Yes to both

Just make sure you do all the green quests
fat

Cheddahz

« Reply #1409 on: April 20, 2020, 10:12:27 AM »

I was saying it sounds more like the former than the latter (since someone was just complaining about not being able to talk to everyone NPC or something lol). I won't be able to play the game for at least a year because I own an Xbox  :snoop

Himu

« Reply #1410 on: April 20, 2020, 10:18:18 AM »

I was saying it sounds more like the former than the latter (since someone was just complaining about not being able to talk to everyone NPC or something lol). I won't be able to play the game for at least a year because I own an Xbox  :snoop

Watch my video with sector 5 gameplay. You'll see how the remakes handling of NPCs is entirely superior. You get so much context to events and what people are thinking. It adds so much to the locale and atmosphere.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1411 on: April 20, 2020, 10:23:10 AM »
The NPCs have different dialogue depending on the dresses you get too. If you get the worst option, they're like "what a cheap dress, haha" and even Aerith is like : (
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1412 on: April 20, 2020, 10:25:19 AM »
this game reminds me so much of FFXIII except not boring
pcp

Himu

« Reply #1413 on: April 20, 2020, 10:37:18 AM »
this game reminds me so much of FFXIII except not boring

So like FFX? :P
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1414 on: April 20, 2020, 11:04:20 AM »
mmmm sorta. to me FFX still felt like an old school jrpg but without the world map, while FFXIII felt like it was structured like an action game or something. VIIR feels more like that because of the linearity, but it of course does have actual towns and (simple) dungeons to give it some variety that XIII ofc lacked.
pcp

Raist

« Reply #1415 on: April 20, 2020, 03:13:15 PM »
The wild mix of people losing their shit because "they ruined muh game" or people going for absolutely insane theories (like it really needs that) is quite entertaining.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1416 on: April 20, 2020, 04:05:04 PM »
The wild mix of people losing their shit because "they ruined muh game" or people going for absolutely insane theories (like it really needs that) is quite entertaining.

Just what you'd expect from the master, Nomura-sensei.
©@©™

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #1417 on: April 20, 2020, 04:33:59 PM »
edifice xi
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 04:40:29 PM by recursivelyenumerable »
QED

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1418 on: April 20, 2020, 04:49:37 PM »

:aah
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1419 on: April 20, 2020, 08:09:10 PM »
Great ending. Bring on Part 2. :jeb
dog

bluemax

« Reply #1420 on: April 20, 2020, 09:29:49 PM »
mmmm sorta. to me FFX still felt like an old school jrpg but without the world map, while FFXIII felt like it was structured like an action game or something. VIIR feels more like that because of the linearity, but it of course does have actual towns and (simple) dungeons to give it some variety that XIII ofc lacked.

XIII also has this weird thing where you can't go back to most of the locations in the game once you get through them. There aren't too many areas in X that you can't go back to (if any?).
NO

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue
« Reply #1421 on: April 20, 2020, 10:09:10 PM »
Ending spoilers:

The Whispers are actually a metaphor for hardcore FF7 fans who don't want the Remake to be different from the original. In the end, the player proves to Nomura-san that they aren't satisfied with being guided by Destiny and now he has been given full reign to unleash his imagination.
[close]
dog

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:37:28 PM by recursivelyenumerable »
QED

Raist

« Reply #1423 on: April 21, 2020, 03:49:48 AM »
I don't know, every "insane theory" I've seen has been telegraphed in the story, which ones do you mean?

The three whisper bosses are actually the scrubs from Advent Children :lol
[close]

Himu

« Reply #1424 on: April 21, 2020, 07:48:18 AM »
https://twitter.com/ProceduralJOYE/status/1252264032448524290

https://twitter.com/ProceduralJOYE/status/1252301140559048704

They were terrorists. Fort Condor wouldn't want to join up with that. Same with people from Gongaga after their town was attacked.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1425 on: April 21, 2020, 09:39:48 AM »
Are all three FFXIII games bad?  I thought people liked Lightning Returns?
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1426 on: April 21, 2020, 09:57:19 AM »
I think only complete weirdos played the sequels :comeon
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #1427 on: April 21, 2020, 09:58:59 AM »
Are all three FFXIII games bad?  I thought people liked Lightning Returns?

13 was so bad I never played the sequels.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1428 on: April 21, 2020, 10:05:38 AM »
13-2 was pretty good. Never played the third one.

Himu

« Reply #1429 on: April 21, 2020, 10:06:55 AM »
Yeah I'm giving 2 and LR a shot after VIIr.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1431 on: April 21, 2020, 12:58:18 PM »
i had a lot of fun with XIII-2. helped me get over the disappointment of the first one. gameplay is much less tight in the sequel unfortunately, but the tradeoff is that you get a normal rpg with towns and dungeons and shit. postgame encourages you to get 100% and for the most part it's pretty fun. story is also classic silly jrpg, with wacky time travel and one of the best villains in the series.

never played LR because time restraints stress me out, and the first area annoyed the shit out of me. i hear it's kinda like valkyrie profile tho.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #1432 on: April 21, 2020, 01:29:01 PM »
LR was codeveloped by Tri-Ace. VIIR also uses LR system as a basis apparently so it makes sense it reminds me of VP2.

Nomura saves final fantasy again
https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1252583111390408706

Again? When did he save FF the first time?
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1433 on: April 21, 2020, 01:49:13 PM »
when he made kingdom hearts
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1434 on: April 21, 2020, 01:54:42 PM »
I think only complete weirdos played the sequels :comeon

What does that say with the people who platinumed the sequels then? :P

I actually liked FFXIII-2 a whole lot but Lightning Returns was shit-tier. I hate time limits in games and in LR it was done really poorly. Not to mention the complete nonlinearity of the game and the bevy of technical issues made it a chore to play. The battle system was slightly LR-ish but clunky too, instead of changing paradigms you'd change jobs, but I never felt I had the control I would have in the VP games.
^_^

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1435 on: April 21, 2020, 01:58:37 PM »
I don't know how anyone could tolerate any more FF13 bullshit :stahp

Unless you really liked the gameplay and zoned out when the cutscenes started or whatever, I ditched it once you got the other planet :snoop

(ice)

Cheddahz

« Reply #1436 on: April 21, 2020, 07:42:20 PM »
final fantasy xiii is terrible and i can't believe i bought a console for the sole intention of it playing it

Himu

« Reply #1437 on: April 21, 2020, 08:45:56 PM »
X-2 owns
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1438 on: April 21, 2020, 08:59:36 PM »
My favorite is when they say 7R is no different than XIII.

In XIII all you do is press up, literally. 7R has actual exploration, and even light dungeons. It's also not a brainless game. In FFXIII you're healed after every battle. 7R is five times the game XIII is and we aren't even talking about the fact it's a remake but decisions it employed on its own, separate from the original.

FFXIII was so bad I didnt buy an FF for almost a decade. Still haven't played 13-2, LR, 4WOL, or Type 0.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1439 on: April 21, 2020, 09:19:53 PM »
i started 4 heroes of light the other day, and i gotta say it was pretty fun. it's a simple game so far, but it's obviously meant to emulate 8 bit rpgs without the bullshit. nice change of pace right now.
pcp