Author Topic: DOJ |OT| SUMMIT NOW SUMMIT NOW  (Read 888844 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Yeah, I'd recommend the threat discussing new moderation procedures should have limits based on post count and inactivity (someone lookin' to start some shit with an account that got a couple hundred posts on gaming side that hasn't posted in two months shouldn't be allowed in) and maybe discussing trans and other minority issues in those spoiler blocks only people who've looked at the thread can see. That wouldn't be enough but it would help.
Honestly, I think that thread would be best off being a complaint box format (send in PMs) that's filtered by a third party to be answered and discussed. Even basing it on post count and activity could turn into a mess.
lmao

Boredfrom

Time for some game theory (1/543)

Ketkat stays banned, they basically stick to the story and say they don't want to harm anyone further. Nobody really cares because it means an opening for a new transwarlord.

Royalan apologizes says he's learned since then and agrees to step down, they also state he only has one strike before a permaban. Then he probably gets an alt.

ColdSun issues the admin statement, pointing out that the entire admin team has changed and that this is a new beginning for the forum and how they're going to be even more active in actioning evil dooers. Also will point out that unlike the prior admin team none of the current admins have ugly racist children.

Everything goes back to normal.

Nobody ever updates ScribbleD's "duration pending" because he's forgotten.

#QMIJ
Nice try, but ColdSun telegraphed his responsibility too early in the game.

Game theory necessitates the consideration of escalation, and after hours of unrest (into the morning) it will be Cerium himself who will produce a crowdsourced statement (of which he writes maybe two sentences) and his acquittal of KetKat will be his form of penance.

Robin is too tied into her position and clearly salty about stepping down, so KetKat is going to act out and get banned.

Royalan def. stepping down and “learning” as a proper neolib

Side note: woah, that extra dialogue  :doge Zack Snyder is such a fucking hack fraud.

benjipwns

My interest in this forum is entirely predicated on it being a safe space for all kinds of marginalized people, and I know I'm not the only one that feels this way.

The concern that it will stop being a safe space if the mod team doesn't instantly right the ship is very real. Very soon your privacy concerns will take on a whole new tier of irrelevancy because I suspect that if this shit doesn't get straightened out soon, y'all gonna end up like Evilore with nothing to moderate.
This thread just hit 24 pages.

Watch me go quote a Kojima tweet out of context on gaming side and get 60 in two hours.

ShutUp

"You aren't welcome in the discussion if you don't have x amount of posts and aren't online 22.5 hours a day"

DRACONIAN LAW HAS SPOKEN

Potato

• Senior's Member
This shit is glorious and all, but I genuinely don't want to see transGAF abandon REEEEEsetera because it will be just that one step closer to being a fully functioning gaming forum.....and then where will we get our fun from? NeoGAF? that shit is just sad and desperate.

No, REEEEsetera is where the real juice is coming from, that's where we feed.

If you are a true hate site denizen, then you must do all that you can do to keep transGAF as part of REEEEsetera. Go to the discords, log into your REEEE alts, go forth to Twitter, hit the IRCs, do whatever you can to keep that fucking insane mob of vitriol condensed into the "most popular gaming forum based on traffic".

Do it you cowards!
Spud

Boredfrom

:dayum

Bore Expert

Ketkat, come to the Bire . The safest hate site ever .

benjipwns

https://www.resetera.com/threads/fuck-acephobes.153939/post-26604578
These are people who dislike Ace of Base, right? If so I agree, fuck them.
Oh you mean the pop group founded by a neo-nazi?

This wasn't the thread to post a joke like this
Yeah it's so disgusting that no one knows what an acephobe is. I've never even heard of the term till now so am I disgusting also?
Acephobe is someone phobic of ace people. Is that so hard to understand? Pretending to hide behind ignorance is like the #1 alt right tactic these days. If you look at any trans/ace/LGBTQ+ thread there is always someone JAQing off. Ridiculous . Disgusting is phrasing it lightly.
Why are people acephobic?
What's the threat? The reason for hatred?

Bigotry is hard to understand sometimes.
A man turns down visiting a strip club with peers, or turns down a proposal from an attractive woman; "what are you, gay?"

A woman turns down a proposal from a man; "stuck up bitch, lesbian."

This is just my scantily supported hot take here, and is not intended as an explanation for all of this sentiment, but we see this sort of aggression rooted in patriarchy often enough even when the targets are cis-het people. Asexuality threatens this formulation of sexual identity in the same way, but presents as an entire category of identity instead of isolated individuals or instances to be ignored or coerced into conformity.
Friendly reminder that it takes 0.3 seconds to double-click on a word to highlight it, and then right-click on it to search it on Google to find the definition of that word and understand what it means.
:heh

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
My interest in this forum is entirely predicated on it being a safe space for all kinds of marginalized people, and I know I'm not the only one that feels this way.

The concern that it will stop being a safe space if the mod team doesn't instantly right the ship is very real. Very soon your privacy concerns will take on a whole new tier of irrelevancy because I suspect that if this shit doesn't get straightened out soon, y'all gonna end up like Evilore with nothing to moderate.
This thread just hit 24 pages.

Watch me go quote a Kojima tweet out of context on gaming side and get 60 in two hours.

lol

benjipwns

SHOSTA: https://www.resetera.com/threads/its-trans-awareness-week-nov-13th-19th.153146/post-26605181
I'm throwing this suggestion out here in addition to other suggestions and this is more of my governmental self on this, how about we establish a moderation watchdog similar to the Office of Inspector General or the Office of Special Counsel where the admin and staff, in unanimous agreement, or regular users who wishes to nominate a user, nominates an independent user as an inspector general to which to be advise and consent to every user on the forum or at least have users sign up for it. Having a simple majority or 60% say aye to confirm the user to a one year term which can be renewed up to a limit of 3 years. This user would be charged to lead with examining the actions of the moderators as a general auditor of their operations to ensure they are operating in compliance with generally established policies of the website, to audit the effectiveness of security procedures, or to discover the possibility of misconduct for the staff and admins. If there is misconduct conducted by a admin or moderator reported by a user, the IG will investigate this report and would determine if that moderator did operate in misconduct. If that moderator is found to operate in misconduct, the IG will report to the admin to determine disciplinary actions such as a ban or having their moderation powers revoked.

Another suggestion would be to establish an office similar to the Department of Justice's Office of Special Counsel where only regular users can nominate an independent user as an independent counsel to advise and consent to the same terms and rules except the powers of this counsel to ban and revoking a moderator without having to go to the admin.

Again this is simply a suggestion, if anyone needs to point out any flaws or loopholes, I'm right here.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

A man turns down visiting a strip club with peers, or turns down a proposal from an attractive woman; "what are you, gay?"

A woman turns down a proposal from a man; "stuck up bitch, lesbian."

so just men being pigs  ???

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
SHOSTA: https://www.resetera.com/threads/its-trans-awareness-week-nov-13th-19th.153146/post-26605181
I'm throwing this suggestion out here in addition to other suggestions and this is more of my governmental self on this, how about we establish a moderation watchdog similar to the Office of Inspector General or the Office of Special Counsel where the admin and staff, in unanimous agreement, or regular users who wishes to nominate a user, nominates an independent user as an inspector general to which to be advise and consent to every user on the forum or at least have users sign up for it. Having a simple majority or 60% say aye to confirm the user to a one year term which can be renewed up to a limit of 3 years. This user would be charged to lead with examining the actions of the moderators as a general auditor of their operations to ensure they are operating in compliance with generally established policies of the website, to audit the effectiveness of security procedures, or to discover the possibility of misconduct for the staff and admins. If there is misconduct conducted by a admin or moderator reported by a user, the IG will investigate this report and would determine if that moderator did operate in misconduct. If that moderator is found to operate in misconduct, the IG will report to the admin to determine disciplinary actions such as a ban or having their moderation powers revoked.

Another suggestion would be to establish an office similar to the Department of Justice's Office of Special Counsel where only regular users can nominate an independent user as an independent counsel to advise and consent to the same terms and rules except the powers of this counsel to ban and revoking a moderator without having to go to the admin.

Again this is simply a suggestion, if anyone needs to point out any flaws or loopholes, I'm right here.

:snore :snore :snore

BisMarckie

We house some :dizzy as fuck posters

NEW FORUM NOW

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
I have no words
每天生气

ShutUp

:sabu :neogaf :dead

benjipwns

The moderation here has been awful since just about the beginning. Any pretense of moderating better than NeoGAF fell away pretty quickly (starting with treating even the name of that site like Voldemort was the first big red flag). The worst part is they use the fake transparency of ban reasoning against people. Anyone who complains about a warning or questions the moderation? Upped to a ban. Suddenly you have a record -- and I've seen a ton of people banned for "history of similar infractions", which is basically a bullshit charge akin to "resisting arrest". Worse still are the times they whip out "conspiracy" like the ban Brock Reiher copped in the other thread.
I think somebody would have noticed something like that.

benjipwns

I'm not at all comfortable with the dog-piling on Royalan. He's not exactly a person of privilege. I think he should be given the chance to clarify and apologize for his past comments. I also think it's wrong to put all the failings of the moderation solely on him.

I also want everyone to bear in mind that there are entire communities of alt-right losers dedicated to stirring shit up in Era, and that they're reading through this very thread and looking for ways to sow more discord. So let's try to be level-headed.
huge if true

You would think era of all places would understand optics.
this dude clearly does not read ResetERA.com

shosta

benji, I know you've stepped down, but I'm officially nominating you to be Mod Special Counsel and officiate the next six months of investigations into the multiple instances of obstruction of STREET JUSTICE. You're not actually allowed to turn down this offer. God speed.
每天生气

BisMarckie

FUCK YOU 217332bu!

I am fed up by you pushing your pro-Yukiko agenda. Even Rise is better than that trash tier waifu.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
I'm not at all comfortable with the dog-piling on Royalan. He's not exactly a person of privilege. I think he should be given the chance to clarify and apologize for his past comments. I also think it's wrong to put all the failings of the moderation solely on him.

I also want everyone to bear in mind that there are entire communities of alt-right losers dedicated to stirring shit up in Era, and that they're reading through this very thread and looking for ways to sow more discord. So let's try to be level-headed.
huge if true

haha wouldn't that be something yeah...

benjipwns

benji, I know you've stepped down, but I'm officially nominating you to be Mod Special Counsel and officiate the next six months of investigations into the multiple instances of obstruction of STREET JUSTICE. God speed.
I am reading my powers broadly to apply to all moderators and administrators throughout ResetERA.com's history, I will begin investigations in chronological order.

benjipwns

I am charging all members of the staff, except one kristoffer, with obstruction of justice for refusing to recognize my authority as Mod Special Counsel.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
I am charging all members of the staff, except one kristoffer, with obstruction of justice for refusing to recognize my authority as Mod Special Counsel.

coup coup coup

Potato

• Senior's Member
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-moderation-staff-is-fucking-up-beyond-belief-on-lgbt-issues.153951/post-26605400
I honestly don't even know why anyone would want to mod sometimes. From what I've seen the mod team has been great at being supportive of minority groups and when one who is of two minority groups themself royalanly fucks up everyone want to burn the place down.

Not sure if this is a troll or not, but it's pretty fucking hilarious.

First we have a minority olympics phrase and then the pun.
Spud

BisMarckie

shame that this kristoffer dude fled to the internet equivalent of Sealand and can no longer be charged.

benjipwns

I am also folding the sexual harassment case against one Finale Fireworker into my investigation as per the broad powers I granted myself earlier.

benjipwns

I am happy to report that after a thorough investigation the Office of Mod Admiral was found to be completely free of corruption, bigotry and inefficiency of any kind, I highly recommend that not only is the salary increased but that Quilty is freed to become an assistant in the office.

benjipwns

benjipwns

since he retweeted this and it's appropriate for the thread:
https://twitter.com/GhostGamesEA/status/1196443336539824129

Potato

• Senior's Member
We house some :dizzy as fuck posters
Lol, imagine thinking that anyone posting in this thread is normal.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
Spud

shosta

每天生气

shosta

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1196698736371605506
Unfortunately, this defense isn't going to protect him from the investigation.
每天生气

benjipwns

I am now also investigating who tipped him off about the Special Counsel investigation before it was even a thing.

benjipwns

https://www.resetera.com/threads/its-trans-awareness-week-nov-13th-19th.153146/post-26605418
This is the second time now in like a week that I've went to sleep and woke up to a shitshow on here. I've got to go to work so I'm gonna make this short:
Mods are cops
Psst, hey every mod who has posted any kind of apology and yet continues to volunteer their free time to mod for this forum...

Y'all are cops too
Quote from: Hecht
OFFICIAL STAFF COMMUNICATION
The situation is being discussed, but most of the people we need to talk with have gone to bed. Obviously, we're not okay with the status quo. We'll need to take tomorrow to figure out where any of us go from here.

Potato

• Senior's Member
(Image removed from quote.)
As a former REsetera LLC (unpaid) employee, I just want to know when we will see your THE STATEMENT where you WILL take full responsibility for the horrendous act of murdering Asexual people for the crime is not being interested in sex.

I mean, don't you understand the damage you are doing to these vulnerable people who have to constantly explain why they don't want to have sex with someone? I mean, their struggle is on par with similarly marginalised groups such as those who need to explain why they don't like cheese or those who don't like reading books.

Asexual rights are human rights.
Spud

shosta

This is over two years old, is there anything recent to suggest the person in question hasn't evolved their position?

Going back over two years into a lot of people's past will very likely show opinions that aren't quite up to snuff with changes they might have made.
:hmm
每天生气

benjipwns

ZhugeEX tweet posted:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-moderation-staff-is-fucking-up-beyond-belief-on-lgbt-issues.153951/post-26605439
Wow so he’s not affiliated with era anymore?
But he’s not like a mod or administration anymore? Wonder why.
My understanding is most of the day one staff explicitly committed temporarily to their roles with plans to step down after a few months. It has nothing to do with the current situation.
literally almost none of the og admins/sysadmins/mods are even posting any more
i'm interested to know why former admins and mods aren't disclosing why they stepped down (if it wasn't personal)
I ended up in therapy for some of the shit I saw in my mod career. One time someone spammed gore and hardcore porn in the comments section while our product team worked to put some safeguards in place. I had to read every damn comment that came in via a live feed.
Why did every founding admin step down? That sounds concerning...
Same, seems strange that basically all the admins suddenly changed or stepped down.
Like someone said earlier, when the site was setup some of them only wanted to help kickstart the site and not take on perm long term roles.

I guess the bigger question to ask is whether the owners of the site are still the same and if not, whether it is still by a few people, not solo like Gaf was.
I thought that was always the intention, that the team that got things up and running would eventually all step aside, but I could be wrong.
And as for why most admins and mods step down... have you seen all the shit altrighters and crap are constantly throwing at this forum? It must me taxating to someone after a very long time.
I thought it was literally supposed to end the opposite. IE the site would be owned and ran by multiple people instead of one guy holding all the power like the old site.
Yeah I thought it was the intention for the site to be owned by several people, whether they are mods/admins doesn't matter.
Right, there's a site dedicated to doxxing users here. I wonder how much the staff is affected by it.

benjipwns

Quote from: Biestmann
There are some truly admirable individuals in the moderation team, but the non-transparent approach to their decision making as a team often makes them seem cold, impersonal and automated. I completely understand the desire to protect the privacy and lives of moderators, but the way they go about it sometimes makes them seem like American police forces covering for one another. In the end, the right decision is always reached, and I don't think this time will be any different, but it shouldn't always have to be like this.

BisMarckie

I ended up in therapy because benji is always quicker than me quoting posts. :goty2

shosta

Quote from: Biestmann
There are some truly admirable individuals in the moderation team, but the non-transparent approach to their decision making as a team often makes them seem cold, impersonal and automated. I completely understand the desire to protect the privacy and lives of moderators, but the way they go about it sometimes makes them seem like American police forces covering for one another. In the end, the right decision is always reached, and I don't think this time will be any different, but it shouldn't always have to be like this.
#TrustTheProgress
每天生气

BisMarckie

Protecting the lives of moderators :nope

Banning and killing them :ohyeah

benjipwns

East Coast, I'm still up. This is just a personal note from me.

If you want someone's head, frustrations aside that is the wrong way to go about this. My opinion is we should not be a site that comes for people's heads.

Now, I cannot speak for direct admin interactions with members, or anything in any LGBT+ related channels wherever they may be, because I am not an admin, and I do not have access to those channels for a very good reason.

But I can say this. I have spent hours upon hours at a time (into the wee hours of the morning on several occasions) banning people outright for their dismissiveness, prejudice, and harmful words towards people like you who are simply seeking to thrive at ResetEra. Not just because it's site policy, or because I have nothing better to do on a Friday night. Because it's the right thing to do for you, and for everyone. I have even advocated for not being so quick to ban in some cases. And while I'm speaking just for myself here, I have witnessed others do the same. For you. They're still around, even.

And when I am online volunteering for the site, I am obligated to read and address each report that comes in, no matter if it is written nicely, or in anger, or accurately describes the situation, or a misunderstanding, or a misinterpretation, or written in frustration - even if it contains conspiratorial suggestions about other members, or the staff. The conspiratorial posts and reports on Era about staff members (an aspect of Era culture which seems to have become generally accepted, even among the marginalized) really sicken me personally. But as I am working to address the concerns of others on the forum it is not about my feelings, it is about theirs. Yours. So I tolerate it as I go about my duties.

With all that, I refuse to air others' dirty laundry from bans on the site itself. If you want people to truly change, you need to give them the opportunity to do so, and airing their dirty laundry would only interfere with that. If someone is changing and growing or making up for a mistake, I will not contribute to an embarrassment campaign. Same with repeat offenders who have exhibited no change in behavior over a long sustained period, and are permanently banned from the site as part of support for the community. I will not air their dirty laundry on the site, even if that behavior continues to persist outside Era via other avenues. This means that you won't know everything about someone's history of participation on this site, including their interactions with staff, and bans.

But concerning behavior generally, I will say this: What I will not abide as a member, or as a moderator volunteering to support communities like yours, are members - no matter who they are or what they stand for - using site posts and reports in order to attempt to personally manipulate or gaslight me (or any member) into serving their own personal individual ends or games. This type of thing takes time and energy away from whole communities of members who prefer we support the concerns of their identities.

And It interferes directly with supporting you.

Manipulating or interfering with me or anyone on staff (including and especially the LGBT+ members of the staff), whether once or repeatedly over time, is unacceptable to me. You may not see it but you do feel its effects - it absolutely interrupts me and robs me of time and energy when those long hours are needed and the bans to stave off the dismissiveness and harm that can't be processed soon enough. I would think that these delays and interference would be unacceptable to you as well, but I will not speak for you.

Lastly, I will just leave these few questions, really for anyone who is reading this. Is there no room on Era to grow or change, for everyone, or anyone? Do you want to shut down all possibility of that? Again I will not presume to speak for you or your experiences, but from what I understand there are people out there in the world who think the only acceptable consideration for you as a person is removal first and foremost. Is that the only acceptable first step for you as well?

PS. I see another step taken being labeling of others. If I am mistaken, please correct me, but isn't undue labeling the second step taken on you as well?

Thank you for your attention to this personal note from me.
emphasis theirs

Shuri

Ceraphium (or whatever his name is) needs to step down as the owner of the site and donate it to a community appointed committee made up of at least 12 posters of diverse backgrounds.

Also, Something needs to be done about the money generated by the forums. Where is the money going? How come this information is not public? Why are they refusing transparency?

The owner should compensate Kitkat with a monetary compensation for the situation tbh

benjipwns

This has taken up the past...eight hours for me (I've had work and the like today), and we're definitely trying to figure something out. We care about this community, especially since it's part of one of the tenets that we founded this site on - inclusion. We're committed to that ideal, just as we've always been. Obviously we know that things can always be better, but we're going to continue to work towards that.
emphasis mine

benjipwns

Quote from: Shugga
Psst, hey every mod who has posted any kind of apology and yet continues to volunteer their free time to mod for this forum...

Y'all are cops too

Unban KetKat
I don't see how this helps.
:lol

VomKriege

• Do the moron
I liked it better when BronsonLee was a mod.

Said no one.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
For real, it almost seems like there is a pent-up hatred of that guy. Like they want to ground a gay black man beneath their heels for some internal satisfaction.

benjipwns

shosta

https://www.resetera.com/threads/its-trans-awareness-week-nov-13th-19th.153146/post-26605757
ROYALAN DOXXED MASSIVELY
What Started the Conversation That Lead to royalan's Post.

Close to 300 posts in, blame space began this conversation.
Bombshell revelations. We've reached out for comment.
每天生气

BisMarckie

To paraphrase, blame space questioned the need for an asexual identity at all

No wonder he fled to an offshoot hate site.

benjipwns

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
And blamespace is dead. Curses, how deep does this go

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
For real, it almost seems like there is a pent-up hatred of that guy. Like they want to ground a gay black man beneath their heels for some internal satisfaction.

It’s usually the other way around for me  :drool

benjipwns

i think bronson lee finally deleted his blog

BisMarckie

i think bronson lee finally deleted his blog

Says the guy who hasn’t updated his for 6 months :hmph

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
What’s with FUME5 beef with blamespace?

benjipwns

Right, there's a site dedicated to doxxing users here. I wonder how much the staff is affected by it.
Who do you think they went after first
Crossing Eden