Author Topic: Xbox Series S and X  (Read 83492 times)

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
Re: Xbox Series X
« Reply #480 on: July 24, 2020, 11:14:12 AM »
bad memories of when i stayed with a dude who was giving me a good deal on rent with the silent term that i'd hang out and play halo 3 split screen with him every night on his wheezing pissbox hooked upto a shitty SD TV while my dragster rig sat dormant in the next room.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #481 on: July 24, 2020, 11:41:02 AM »
In an age of Coronavirus, splitscreen is outright irresponsible, and i applaud their choice to keep PC gamers safe.

Also DLSS (2.0) is the real deal, and native 4K is a waste of resources.  :doge

Svejk

« Reply #482 on: July 24, 2020, 11:44:07 AM »
Split screen is magical though, when you have kids.   :trumps

Pennywise

« Reply #483 on: July 24, 2020, 12:32:23 PM »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #484 on: July 24, 2020, 12:49:58 PM »
*Truckload of Salt before this...*

thisismyusername

« Reply #485 on: July 24, 2020, 01:21:51 PM »
Yeah, but it's a /v/ post. Could be a LARP for all we know.

Anyway, #FireFrankie #FrankieIsASexualPredator

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #486 on: July 24, 2020, 01:43:56 PM »
I was most surprised Forza 8 was in early development considering Forza 7 shipped in 2017.

It's always the same with MS.
They promise the biggest line-up ever show 2 or 3 decent things and end with: we can't wait to show more at a later date!

Everwoke from Rare also looked like it had been rebooted since last E3 November
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 02:18:05 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #487 on: July 24, 2020, 02:00:10 PM »
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1286653437220999168

"Listen.. we'll crunch this shit, remember Perfect Dark Zero?"

:picard

Something tells me this won't launch with multiplayer.

Halo 5 was released 5 years ago, they have a couple months left (presumably) and this is "WIP"?

Good luck :lol

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #488 on: July 24, 2020, 02:41:17 PM »
Split screen is magical though, when you have kids.   :trumps

Especially when you consider that the first generation of split-screen console gamers are getting old enough to have kids nowadays.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #489 on: July 24, 2020, 02:43:46 PM »
HALO is like Sonic or Star Wars.

The glory days of HALO are more than a decade behind us and the platform holder is desperately trying to make it relevant again by throwing money at it.
To keep a franchise relevant this long you either need to take good care of it or keep it fresh with new ideas.

I thought yesterday's demo was a joke and Master Chief would find an Xbox Series X and boot up the 'real' HALO Infinite or something lol.
🤴

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #490 on: July 24, 2020, 03:06:57 PM »
how the fuck is 343i such a disaster
MCC fuck-up also somewhat killed the franchise

or is it just MS being shit

DJ Bedroom

« Reply #491 on: July 24, 2020, 03:26:11 PM »
At this point, 343 misunderstanding halo almost has to be deliberate. The new weapons in the demo are all really bland and uninspired, it's like someone said "man chief looks like a motherfucking tool, we should give him a fuckin Beretta"

Raist

« Reply #492 on: July 24, 2020, 03:38:42 PM »

MS has been running studios / IPs into the ground for years. It's not exactly a surprise that Halo went to shit too.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #493 on: July 24, 2020, 04:19:18 PM »
But while it’s easy to get carried away about the prospect of playing Halo Infinite, it’s worth taking a minute to think about the enormous work put into this playable preview of Halo Infinite.
While this is just a section of the final game, it took a herculean effort to make sure this little corner of our Ringworld was polished and pretty enough for its premiere!
The art, lighting, design, environment, graphics, production and engineering teams involved in carving out and curating this little slice, are nervous and excited to show people a glimpse of what we’re building.

:larry :yikes
What

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #494 on: July 24, 2020, 05:07:06 PM »
But while it’s easy to get carried away about the prospect of playing Halo Infinite, it’s worth taking a minute to think about the enormous work put into this playable preview of Halo Infinite.
While this is just a section of the final game, it took a herculean effort to make sure this little corner of our Ringworld was polished and pretty enough for its premiere!
The art, lighting, design, environment, graphics, production and engineering teams involved in carving out and curating this little slice, are nervous and excited to show people a glimpse of what we’re building.
breh is this real?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #495 on: July 24, 2020, 05:23:29 PM »
halo infinite coming april 2021
pcp

Himu

« Reply #496 on: July 24, 2020, 05:27:57 PM »
New Stalker looks good
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #497 on: July 24, 2020, 05:31:36 PM »
In simplistic terms, it means putting a lot of pretty pixels on the screen very quickly. When you see the realistic characters, the beautiful landscape around you, and shafts of light streaming through the fog – those are the things that my team and I partner up with the artists to accomplish.

:mindblown

Microsoft strategy seems to be: gaslight everybody

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1286775398127169536
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 05:37:32 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #498 on: July 24, 2020, 05:36:57 PM »
https://www.343industries.com/news/articles/employee-spotlight-ani-shastry
gaiz, vidya r hard. pls understand

Like, creating a vertical slice for preview is notoriously time and resource consuming, but this isn't some indie dev getting with their first shot at e3. I can understand being frank with the effort put in if you're a smaller dev, but you're creating the pillar software for a new console launch. It's a AAA studio owned by fucking Microsoft which has been in the lab for 5 years rolling through god knows how many tens of millions of dollars (hundreds of millions if the rumors are true) for what was once one of the bigger game franchises in the west. Let me play the world's smallest violin for you, 343.

thisismyusername

« Reply #499 on: July 24, 2020, 05:41:43 PM »

MS has been running studios / IPs into the ground for years. It's not exactly a surprise that Halo went to shit too.

But the major reason is that they hired Frankie (who was a community manager) to run the studio.

thisismyusername

« Reply #500 on: July 24, 2020, 05:46:24 PM »
^

thisismyusername

« Reply #501 on: July 24, 2020, 05:48:09 PM »
(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)

:thinking

Not content with being a bisexual janitor, Frankie decides to go all in on being the face of the Brutes: The race that wanted to start the Great Journey/killing themselves no matter what.

Truly an apt description for the Halo showrunner.

thisismyusername

« Reply #502 on: July 24, 2020, 08:38:15 PM »

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #503 on: July 24, 2020, 09:29:29 PM »
it was interesting when they talked about pixel counting all the in game footage confirming what they showed of most (all?) games was native 4k, then proceeded to talk shit on how stupid native 4k as a target is. respect
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #504 on: July 24, 2020, 09:32:11 PM »
crossfirex does look fuckin sick.

◕‿◕

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #505 on: July 25, 2020, 12:47:35 AM »
Halo was like, a good game, but people who are HALO FANATICS blow my mind, game was never really all that

Imagine actually caring one way or another about Halo in 2020 brehs, you gotta be dumb or Yuropeen
yar

Rahxephon91

« Reply #506 on: July 25, 2020, 12:55:25 AM »
Imagine posting on an internet gaming forum in 2020. you gotta be dumb or over 30

spoiler (click to show/hide)
jk
[close]

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #507 on: July 25, 2020, 03:02:44 AM »
Well duh, all the kids are on discord, forums are for boomers.
Hi

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #508 on: July 25, 2020, 04:39:30 AM »
discord

:jeanluc
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #509 on: July 25, 2020, 05:27:59 AM »

I mean seriously, you can see the problem with 343i in so many ways.

The fucking hideous weapons and enemies, not to mention the overall game design and thinking about Halo
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 05:35:07 AM by MMaRsu »
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #510 on: July 25, 2020, 06:24:57 AM »
crossfirex does look fuckin sick.

Remedy sure dodged a bullet

GOTY 2019 through word of mouth alone and independence  :whew
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #511 on: July 25, 2020, 07:08:11 AM »

The fucking hideous weapons and enemies, not to mention the overall game design and thinking about Halo
The difference is stark but it also has a lot to do with how video games are made these days.
You either need a very strong creative lead, who is able to protect and guide his vision of the game or you need perhaps even a subpar team that works really well together.
Both are not as common as you may think. Bungie had a great team of some of the best in the industry, which is extremely rare.

Studio leads spend more time communicating and planning the work for the different art, environment sound etc. teams than actually working on the game.
And only at the tail end can they really see how everything comes together. Pulling in a lot of talent also isn't a guarantee for success if the chemistry isn't there.
In fact it can work against you in case there is a competition of sorts.

Ubisoft is one of the few studios which has a very fine tuned process for big productions such as these but their 'template' is showing its age.
Other studios like CD Projekt Red, Nintendo, Kojima Productions, Remedy etc. rely heavily on their strong creative leads or teamwork.
Nintendo basically hands their creative leads such as Sakurai, all control.

Microsoft over the years collected people who can hit production deadlines and salvage projects (like Rod Fergusson) but they don't have very talented creative leads.
Or people in those roles long enough to really create a vision. Sony's set-up works decently too, combining their creative talents with a few tech support groups.
Microsoft is trying to address this problem by either acquiring sub-par teams (Ninja Theory) or strong creatives (Double Fine / The Initiative) but it'll take a while before results.
Now Microsoft has once again called in Rod to do the thing he always does, which is to turn a troubled AAA+ project heading towards a 4/10 into an 8/10 or 9/10 by making the right cuts.

Microsoft is still feeling the pain from gutting their first party teams and infrastructure over a decade ago.
These are the projects in the open that we know about, just imagine the stuff they couldn't salvage over the years.

It also doesn't help that they turned HALO into this corporate thing with brand directors, franchise directors etc., which is a joke considering where the franchise stands at this point.
HALO needs to be a good FPS, first and foremost. All this 'platform' bullshit won't last a year if the player base isn't there.
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #512 on: July 25, 2020, 07:08:48 AM »
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #513 on: July 25, 2020, 07:14:21 AM »
Also, imagine that Phil Spencer, Bonnie Ross and a hundred or so middle managers and play testers have seen that asset.
And no one said: "Ok, we'll show HALO at E3 but let's tune up that face a bit or not spawn in that particular enemy"

It really shows where they are with that project, that they didn't see it.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #514 on: July 25, 2020, 08:49:18 AM »
Imagine posting on an internet gaming forum in 2020. you gotta be dumb or over 30

jk
[close]

14 months :stahp

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #515 on: July 25, 2020, 10:44:33 AM »

The difference is stark but it also has a lot to do with how video games are made these days.
You either need a very strong creative lead, who is able to protect and guide his vision of the game or you need perhaps even a subpar team that works really well together.
Both are not as common as you may think. Bungie had a great team of some of the best in the industry, which is extremely rare.

Studio leads spend more time communicating and planning the work for the different art, environment sound etc. teams than actually working on the game.
And only at the tail end can they really see how everything comes together. Pulling in a lot of talent also isn't a guarantee for success if the chemistry isn't there.
In fact it can work against you in case there is a competition of sorts.

Ubisoft is one of the few studios which has a very fine tuned process for big productions such as these but their 'template' is showing its age.
Other studios like CD Projekt Red, Nintendo, Kojima Productions, Remedy etc. rely heavily on their strong creative leads or teamwork.
Nintendo basically hands their creative leads such as Sakurai, all control.

Microsoft over the years collected people who can hit production deadlines and salvage projects (like Rod Fergusson) but they don't have very talented creative leads.
Or people in those roles long enough to really create a vision. Sony's set-up works decently too, combining their creative talents with a few tech support groups.
Microsoft is trying to address this problem by either acquiring sub-par teams (Ninja Theory) or strong creatives (Double Fine / The Initiative) but it'll take a while before results.
Now Microsoft has once again called in Rod to do the thing he always does, which is to turn a troubled AAA+ project heading towards a 4/10 into an 8/10 or 9/10 by making the right cuts.

Microsoft is still feeling the pain from gutting their first party teams and infrastructure over a decade ago.
These are the projects in the open that we know about, just imagine the stuff they couldn't salvage over the years.

It also doesn't help that they turned HALO into this corporate thing with brand directors, franchise directors etc., which is a joke considering where the franchise stands at this point.
HALO needs to be a good FPS, first and foremost. All this 'platform' bullshit won't last a year if the player base isn't there.

Rod's not there anymore. He left to work on Diablo.

Well they're completely fucked now  :doge
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #516 on: July 25, 2020, 10:52:01 AM »

They admitted they unintentionally/subconsciously stole a joke from Mr. Show.
[close]

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #517 on: July 25, 2020, 02:04:25 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

honestly i'd feel bad but ultimately justified in putting this poor cunt out of his misery.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #518 on: July 25, 2020, 02:33:30 PM »
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #519 on: July 25, 2020, 03:00:49 PM »
Halo was like, a good game, but people who are HALO FANATICS blow my mind, game was never really all that

Imagine actually caring one way or another about Halo in 2020 brehs, you gotta be dumb or Yuropeen

Wrong Europeans dont like Halo

Its an american franchise

Svejk

« Reply #520 on: July 25, 2020, 03:58:39 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Someone needs to make a Rustled Jimmies mash-up with that face.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #521 on: July 25, 2020, 06:22:45 PM »

:doge

To sum up:
- The lighting model sucks and they recorded the entire demo area in shadow
- It misses visual effects and tricks seen in Far Cry 3
- Materials are simple plastics and metal and rather uninspiring
- LOD's and pop-in shows the game doesn't scale well and it clearly targets the Xbone
- Effects were probably dialed down so it could run at 4k/60fps, would be better to target a lower res and more effects
- Effects such as shields and explosions were done better in Reach
- Ray tracing would be a solution
🤴

Trent Dole

« Reply #522 on: July 25, 2020, 06:48:00 PM »
Halo was never good. :punch
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #523 on: July 26, 2020, 10:47:06 AM »
It's the "open world hit" but I'm hearing it might not even be fully open world?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #524 on: July 26, 2020, 11:37:16 AM »
One of the DF guys mentioned that he knows for a fact that the XSX does not do 720P 3X3 VRS (nor does any PC GPU) so he's not sure what's going on in that screen.

Also I think this game is going to be traditionally open world as they mentioned you can go everywhere you can see. They didn't clarify if there's a hub area or what the structure or the game is going to be.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #525 on: July 26, 2020, 11:37:21 AM »
We're bringing the highest fidelity experience that we've ever created. We're able to do more than 10 times the processing power per pixel that we were able to do in Halo 5, which just allows us to create this experience that's unlike anything that we've had in Halo before. In Halo Infinite we've really harnessed a lot of advanced rendering techniques, but also the immense power of the Xbox Series X.

We also upgraded our audio engine to create a new acoustic system and leverage a lot of extra processing power and streaming power with the Xbox Series X to be able to really surround the player in a much more realistic audio experience.

Is this a joke. This is some grade-A secret sauce blast processing bullshit  :doge
Which worked in 2001 but not with channels like Digital Foundry in 2020, so why even try.  :thinking

When Rare did Perfect Dark Zero, at least they were honest about development difficulties and being surprised their game passed certification before launch.

It's the "open world hit" but I'm hearing it might not even be fully open world?

It seems that during the press showings of the same demo that was shown earlier, multiple journalists asked if the world was open and the devs kept dodging the question. So yeah, I'm guessing its not.
Looking at the map screen,

unless there is a way to cross those chasms I don't see how you can move past them.
The solution looks similar to 'The Great Plateau' intro area in BOTW, except in Zelda, it was just that intro chunk and not the entire map.
I'm getting more a Metroid Prime feeling, where there is various connected areas that together form 1 map but there are specific ways to cross from one area into the next using a specific point of entry.
I think that's what that big elevator was for we saw in the demo. Technically that would make it open world.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 11:42:54 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #526 on: July 26, 2020, 12:37:47 PM »
Is this a joke. This is some grade-A secret sauce blast processing bullshit  :doge

Remember "power of the cloud"? Why does MS do this every gen :doge

Tasty

« Reply #527 on: July 26, 2020, 12:41:02 PM »
Apparently "the cloud" does make AI and physics better in some games like Halo 5 and Crackdown, but as an opt-in Xbone-exclusive-feature, it's mostly completely unused outside the bigger first-party games.

Still, MS actually did kinda deliver on it, more than I expected before I did some research just now. Lowered expectations? :P

Trent Dole

« Reply #528 on: July 26, 2020, 01:49:17 PM »
Launch material never looks the best a console can produce anyway. It's always stuff that looks a better than what's already here but often not by all that much. :yeshrug
Hi

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #529 on: July 26, 2020, 02:02:02 PM »
Apparently "the cloud" does make AI and physics better in some games like Halo 5 and Crackdown, but as an opt-in Xbone-exclusive-feature, it's mostly completely unused outside the bigger first-party games.

Still, MS actually did kinda deliver on it, more than I expected before I did some research just now. Lowered expectations? :P

It also has something to do with how the generation progressed.

Early on everyone bet on CPU heavy physics, AI's and simulations. Something the AMD Jaguar was ill equipped to deliver as shown by 1st gen titles such as Assassins Creed Unity and Shadow of Mordor so using cloud processing to make up for the lack of a better CPU made sense. In fact, the first Destiny pretty much 'tapped out' the Xbox One. Which was sort of a shock about 1 year into its life cycle. However as the generation went on AI and other CPU heavy stuff is not what developers focused on.
In fact most of the CPU focused stuff that seemed impressive like Mass Effect Andromeda's procedural planet systems and Crackdown's destruction was scrapped.

The focus of third parties was less on AI and physics improvements and more focused on scale, mainly through open world games and scalability by having games run on all platforms, sometimes even on mobile with the same assets.
First party for Microsoft became about the 'indie' titles like Ori and Cuphead and Sony circumvented the lack of better CPU's by using scripted scenario's as they always had. By the time the X and Pro came along the focus had shifted towards performance.
The goal being to get the most FPS with the highest visual fidelity and not to have destructible environments or complex AI. Noticeable in how Gears of War 2 on Xbox 360 has more physics simulations and destruction than Gears 5 does.

Only at the tail end of the generation, did developers again tip their toes in more advanced physics with games like CONTROL and to a lesser extend Anthem. Which ended with the expected poor results in terms of performance , even on the X and Pro. The Jaguar is simply not up to the task. If anything the Zen 2 chips in the PS5 and Xbox Series S/X will finally allow developers to really improve physics, simulations and AI. But not if a game has to run on Xbox One also.
So no moving branches or interactive grass(features found in Crysis on Switch) in Halo Infinite because it was conceived as a current gen game with CPU limitations in mind.
The AI also looks like your basic 'spawn in waves within a radius and attack the player' type.

As it stands Halo Infinite is an aged current gen game with a new coat of paint. Which is fine if they would've been honest about what the product is. It doesn't look any worse than a lot of other current gen games. The character models except for that hilariously poor close-up look about on-par with EA's latest Star Wars game. But they're currently bullshitting everyone about what this game actually is which is why the backlash to what they showed is quite severe.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #530 on: July 26, 2020, 02:14:11 PM »
By that logic, Halo3 was basically open world, since it had massive areas connected by corridor sections?

If this one doesn't have massive fields like in the original tease, it'll be a big disappointment in that sense.

Tasty

« Reply #531 on: July 26, 2020, 02:22:23 PM »

It also has something to do with how the generation progressed.

Early on everyone bet on CPU heavy physics, AI's and simulations. Something the AMD Jaguar was ill equipped to deliver as shown by 1st gen titles such as Assassins Creed Unity and Shadow of Mordor so using cloud processing to make up for the lack of a better CPU made sense. In fact, the first Destiny pretty much 'tapped out' the Xbox One. Which was sort of a shock about 1 year into its life cycle. However as the generation went on AI and other CPU heavy stuff is not what developers focused on.
In fact most of the CPU focused stuff that seemed impressive like Mass Effect Andromeda's procedural planet systems and Crackdown's destruction was scrapped.

The focus of third parties was less on AI and physics improvements and more focused on scale, mainly through open world games and scalability by having games run on all platforms, sometimes even on mobile with the same assets.
First party for Microsoft became about the 'indie' titles like Ori and Cuphead and Sony circumvented the lack of better CPU's by using scripted scenario's as they always had. By the time the X and Pro came along the focus had shifted towards performance.
The goal being to get the most FPS with the highest visual fidelity and not to have destructible environments or complex AI. Noticeable in how Gears of War 2 on Xbox 360 has more physics simulations and destruction than Gears 5 does.

Only at the tail end of the generation, did developers again tip their toes in more advanced physics with games like CONTROL and to a lesser extend Anthem. Which ended with the expected poor results in terms of performance , even on the X and Pro. The Jaguar is simply not up to the task. If anything the Zen 2 chips in the PS5 and Xbox Series S/X will finally allow developers to really improve physics, simulations and AI. But not if a game has to run on Xbox One also.
So no moving branches or interactive grass(features found in Crysis on Switch) in Halo Infinite because it was conceived as a current gen game with CPU limitations in mind.
The AI also looks like your basic 'spawn in waves within a radius and attack the player' type.

As it stands Halo Infinite is an aged current gen game with a new coat of paint. Which is fine if they would've been honest about what the product is. It doesn't look any worse than a lot of other current gen games. The character models except for that hilariously poor close-up look about on-par with EA's latest Star Wars game. But they're currently bullshitting everyone about what this game actually is which is why the backlash to what they showed is quite severe.

Wonder if next-next-gen systems will take a cue from Google's book and have a dedicated TPU for AI/ML stuff.

Even mighty Google realized that you can't scale that stuff if you always need an internet connection for it to work, networks are too finicky. So go local. Federated learning on its own is a big advancement that gets you the benefits of cloud processing but locally and without needing a connection. :idont

Raist

« Reply #532 on: July 26, 2020, 02:31:18 PM »

Crackdown's physics was utter garbage and nothing like what they showed in early demos :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #533 on: July 26, 2020, 05:32:15 PM »
By that logic, Halo3 was basically open world, since it had massive areas connected by corridor sections?

If this one doesn't have massive fields like in the original tease, it'll be a big disappointment in that sense.
It'll have a massive field with an invisible fence around it.  :teehee

I've been thinking about a similar project and I would say Twilight Princess. When announced it was LOTR meets Zelda, holy shit. How could this be a GameCube game? Reggie my man.
Then when it finally came out on the Wii it was a damn good sequel to OOT but all the hype had vaporized and the game didn't have many new groundbreaking features.

Whenever I see interviews about this game, it seems like they really went chasing after that feel and aesthetic of the original HALO. Much like how Aonuma was desperate to make a better OOT.
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #534 on: July 26, 2020, 05:39:26 PM »
Maybe open world is going to suck for Halo. I mean the WartHog is always exciting to use because you're not always in big free form levels that have it. So you use it because it's neat, hell in the older ones you'd use it till you couldn't. Often trying to cheese it into the levels. 

Using it to drive to the 3rd turret target for the 6th mission of it is'nt going to be that exciting.

naff

« Reply #535 on: July 26, 2020, 05:49:14 PM »
if it's just an open world waypoint hunt like far cry, yeah that would suck. im assuming for now it's still an arena shooter. idk why they're being coy about it if it is though, seems that would be massively preferable to people who actually like Halo. i realise there's a bit of a disconnect between 1-3 and post Reach, but they're still my favourite arena shooters (not that there's much competition).
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #536 on: July 26, 2020, 06:33:14 PM »

really nice partial explanation of why models looked so poop in shadow. also agree that if people were shown the same game with different settings at 60fps; 1 with reduced internal resolution using advanced lighting techniques, the other native 4k using standard global illumination the former would nearly always be chosen.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 06:38:19 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #537 on: July 26, 2020, 07:10:43 PM »

Halo was a good game in an era where the last “good” console FPS was Goldeneye for N64. Halo has been less and less relevant the more options consoles have for FPS game.

In 2020, this is just fucking a decade+ old corpse. Halo worked best as a stand-alone title.
🍆🍆

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #538 on: July 26, 2020, 07:18:07 PM »
The Halo games in the 360 era were great too.
HALO 3, Halo Reach and ODST each did their own unique thing.

HALO 4 was a snore fest that damn near killed the franchise and then HALO 5 was a bit better but quite short and unimaginative.
Visually HALO 5 looks great though, nothing like this ugly mess.  :doge
🤴

naff

« Reply #539 on: July 26, 2020, 07:51:00 PM »
lol, imo there's a hell of a lot of room for a large map arena shooter like halo today. it's the middleground in a nearly dead style of multiplayer fps somewhere between battlefield style big map arena's, quake arena's and battle royales. i like something less punishing than pubg, slower than titanfall and more popular than quake though. i think there are low key a lot of millenials in a similar boat to me that would stlll like a nu halo that delivers on multi. whether 343 will capitalise on this and make something worth playing is another thing.
◕‿◕