Author Topic: Xbox Series S and X  (Read 81905 times)

G The Resurrected

Re: Xbox Series S and X
« Reply #1080 on: December 12, 2020, 06:46:05 PM »
Yeah I’m gonna build one here shortly. I’ve got a spare asus rog enclosure around. That should definitely solve the issue. I ordered a drive that was on sale, but that deal didn’t materialize. The seagate drives are another solution, one I honestly can’t justify at their price.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1081 on: December 12, 2020, 11:06:01 PM »
I think I installed like 6 games onto the internal SSD and so far and I've used 46% capacity...it's usable for me but I don't play Modern Warfare which is where a lot of your bloat comes from.

Also unless the game requires it, it's best to just install your multiplayer games onto an external drive. Your load time getting into player lobbies will be capped at what everyone else is using anyways.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #1082 on: December 12, 2020, 11:13:23 PM »
I will echo “put your games on external USB SSD.”

There’s a thing I don’t get though. Native XSX games NEED to be on the internal storage, but I’m pretty sure I’ve got Destiny/Apex/COD on the external drives, and yet they have the X/S badge on their icons, wouldn’t that indicate they’re native games that need to be on the internal?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1083 on: December 13, 2020, 12:01:53 AM »
I have

Destiny 2
DQ11
Yakuza

Plenty of space

Stop playing dogshit like CoD
fat

G The Resurrected

« Reply #1084 on: December 13, 2020, 12:12:43 AM »
I will echo “put your games on external USB SSD.”

There’s a thing I don’t get though. Native XSX games NEED to be on the internal storage, but I’m pretty sure I’ve got Destiny/Apex/COD on the external drives, and yet they have the X/S badge on their icons, wouldn’t that indicate they’re native games that need to be on the internal?

You can store any game externally. You just won’t be able to play them if they are X/S. I just reformatted my external for the time being.

Demi you’re more than welcome to take my virgin ass through Destiny 2 anytime, I will uninstall CoD just for you. I’m still interested in playing it.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #1085 on: December 13, 2020, 07:51:01 PM »
Ok so how many games is too many games then? My consoles free storage was 670gb after updates in the alpha ring.

I occasionally play several live games:

Apex 86gb
CoD Modern Warfare 162gb
Forza Horizon 4 84gb
Hitman 2 20gb

Total: 352gb leaving a total of 314gb roughly 47% free

Now include the new games I’m installing to play through:

CoD Bo Coldwar 146.5gb
Dirt 5 72.5gb
Yakuza: Like a Dragon 37gb
Cyberpunk 2077 59gb

That’s 8 games which seems like a lot less than the advertised space and listed 802gb of space the console should have available. Granted those new games will be finished and no longer installed, some of them are longer commitments. I’m just saying it feels like less space is all because it is less space. Thankfully there is a solution available today for that, unlike the PS5.

The PS5 is even worse off, but thankfully I don’t have as large of a library of games for it to play.

lmao, cod trying to colonize hard drives to take up the most space and ensure you never delete it because re-installing takes a day

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1086 on: December 17, 2020, 03:05:36 PM »
Series X ordered with Walmart :rejoice

daycru

« Reply #1087 on: December 18, 2020, 02:48:15 AM »
XSX is just the best, Microsoft crushed it. Quick Resume is amazing but kind of dangerous. Before QR I would play a game, get bored or frustrated, and stop playing. I’d put the vidya down and go do something else. The barrier of having to quit out, load the next game, wait for the logos and menus, and load my save kept me from endlessly  hopping game to game. Bought my first ever rechargeable batteries because I was ripping through two pairs of Energizers a week  :o

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1088 on: December 20, 2020, 04:35:07 PM »
That Hivebusters Gears 5 DLC was pretty solid. Kind of the best Gears content I've played in a while. It was nothing amazing, but Gears 4/5 were so lame to me. Lame weapons, lame story, lame characters ect. Hivebusters pretty much avoided that. Really liked having the characters have abilities, added a real team synergy element. So much so that it's surprising it hasn't been in gears before. Since one character can resupply ammo, it made hanging unto kits you like much easier. Didn't have to settle for the shitty robot guns. The story and characters were whatever, but not having the Gears 4 cast is already an upgrade.

Looked great on my PC and solid on the One X. Should look really good on the series X.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1089 on: December 22, 2020, 03:27:51 AM »
Got one of these. I bought one at 5 am when Target dropped. Made an order just in case my GF's didn't go through for her. Her's did, so its up to me if I want to keep it. A One X trades in for about $140 at GameStop and Disc Replay. I guess that doesn't make it too bad as just having access to current Xbox stuff. Haven't opened it yet, instead moving interannly installed games on my One X to the external for easier plug and play unto the Series X. 

kingv

« Reply #1090 on: December 23, 2020, 12:37:00 AM »
You can sell a one x for $200-$250 easy on Facebook marketplace.

Do it tomorrow. Xmas is coming up

G The Resurrected

« Reply #1091 on: December 23, 2020, 12:48:56 AM »
Yeah just piggybacking on what kingv is saying. Xbox one x’s are nigh impossible to find new or used right now.

Hamarr

« Reply #1092 on: December 23, 2020, 02:24:27 PM »
I have more boomer questions.  Is One X -> Series S much of an upgrade?  I see there are some Series S in stock locally but the S is sold out everywhere.  I’m not in a rush so I could hold out until there are more X’s available, but I’m also not sure I want to spend $500 on a new console.  I’m hoping there will still be decent trade in values for the one X.  This will be the first generation I didn’t have a bunch of games on disk to also sell.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1093 on: December 23, 2020, 02:47:25 PM »
I think with the size limit on the Series S it makes more sense to just buy a Series X
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1094 on: December 23, 2020, 04:10:18 PM »
I have more boomer questions.  Is One X -> Series S much of an upgrade?  I see there are some Series S in stock locally but the S is sold out everywhere.  I’m not in a rush so I could hold out until there are more X’s available, but I’m also not sure I want to spend $500 on a new console.  I’m hoping there will still be decent trade in values for the one X.  This will be the first generation I didn’t have a bunch of games on disk to also sell.

I would just wait for an X if you actually want an X and are in "no rush"

Everything isn't coming out for a long while anyway that will really take full advantage of an X
fat

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1095 on: December 23, 2020, 05:32:13 PM »
Having to wait until Jan 15 for my Xbox to arrive  :nope
Taking the week after that off with no other plans  :ohyeah

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1096 on: December 23, 2020, 05:42:15 PM »
What

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1097 on: December 26, 2020, 05:36:47 PM »
My Xbox shipped :hyper

kingv

« Reply #1098 on: December 26, 2020, 06:09:25 PM »

I would just wait for an X if you actually want an X and are in "no rush"

Everything isn't coming out for a long while anyway that will really take full advantage of an X

I think the only game where the series s is a huge upgrade over one x is Cyberpunk. I’d just wait for series X if that’s what you want.

The biggest deal killer for the S is the SSD being so much smaller. I feel like the 1TB upgrade will be almost a necessity. Whereas you can work with the 1TB on series x a lot more easily

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1099 on: December 26, 2020, 07:13:25 PM »
Xbox Series S is sort of positioned as a secondary console next to a PS5 or gaming PC or as another Xbox for a different room or location.
It's also a good choice if you don't own a 4K TV set or use a 1440p (or lower res) PC monitor to play games. If you're not gaming in 4K the Xbox Series X won't offer much more.
Storage is an issue but if you're more of a casual player diving into one tentpole release at a time and don't mind redownloading things or moving them from a slower external drive to the main drive this is less of an issue.

From what I'm seeing if you just want to play Cyberpunk 2077, your best bet right now is Stadia or Geforce Now.
But if your internet connection is not up to the task Xbox Series S is the best entry point.
🤴

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1100 on: December 28, 2020, 09:16:52 AM »
Bought and set up a new tv this weekend, nothing crazy, 55 in tcl qled, Xbox is out for delivery, we doin next gen today, fam :rejoice

What games do I need to play to be impressed that are on gamepass?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1101 on: December 28, 2020, 09:32:32 AM »
Bought and set up a new tv this weekend, nothing crazy, 55 in tcl qled, Xbox is out for delivery, we doin next gen today, fam :rejoice

What games do I need to play to be impressed that are on gamepass?
Depends on what you're upgrading from and what your tastes are.
Looking at what's on GamePass now I would say these are lookers:

- Forza Horizon 4
- DOOM Eternal
- STAR WARS: Jedi The Fallen Order
- CONTROL (Ray Tracing patch won't be out until February though)
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps

🤴

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1102 on: December 28, 2020, 10:02:52 AM »
Jumping from a shitty old 1080p vizio with the og xbone lol

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1103 on: December 28, 2020, 10:04:13 AM »
Gears 5 + Hivebuster DLC
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1104 on: December 28, 2020, 12:26:33 PM »
Jumping from a shitty old 1080p vizio with the og xbone lol
Then this will be you when you play any of those games  :neo
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1105 on: December 28, 2020, 07:18:55 PM »
Forza 7 is the secret best looking game of the PS4/boner gen :shh
(ice)

« Reply #1106 on: December 28, 2020, 07:52:17 PM »
Thanks to glorious backwards compatibility, I finally replayed METAL GEAR RISING REVENGEANCE. This game is such a wig omg

nudemacusers

« Reply #1107 on: December 28, 2020, 08:35:25 PM »
forza horizon 4 is incredible looking.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1108 on: December 29, 2020, 07:17:47 AM »
Played some of that star wars game last night, shits dope, was super tired tho and started falling sleep during the cutscenes and forgetting it was a video game since I’ve been watching so much sci-fi stuff lol

Got a bunch of games queued to download, for some reason the wired connection wasn’t working though. My wifi is decent enough but I wanted to tether my two towers together! (The Xbox looks like a giant version of my router)

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1109 on: December 29, 2020, 07:32:47 AM »
I need to redownload and finish off Star Wars at some point, it’s a decent game, even if it is a bit too unchartedy for me at times :trumps
(ice)

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #1110 on: December 29, 2020, 07:37:48 AM »
Star Wars is pretty good, I did an hour or two on the XSX and was really impressed

Any Forza game is face meltingly gorgeous, Gears is also holy-shit-looking.

Makes you wonder what other older games with super fucked performance on the old Xbone clean up real good on the new machines.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1111 on: December 29, 2020, 09:17:18 AM »
Oh I did play some Tetris effect, pretty fun, love me some Tetris

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1112 on: December 30, 2020, 02:06:28 AM »
The Gears Hivebuster DLC is maybe the best looking thing I've seen on consoles. It's a separate campaign with unique characters from the main story so you won't spoil anything by playing it.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1113 on: December 30, 2020, 08:22:58 AM »
Was playing some beyond light last night, destiny 2 in HDR with the FoV maxed :rejoice:

Really the best part is the loading improvements, my god

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1114 on: December 30, 2020, 11:58:03 AM »
The HDR in Destiny is fucked up right now
fat

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1115 on: December 30, 2020, 05:22:16 PM »