Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1074130 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Please scream inside your heart
« Reply #13020 on: December 17, 2020, 11:32:53 PM »
Oh ya, didnt read what you wrote right. 

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13021 on: December 18, 2020, 07:18:30 AM »
Those young people who don’t die might still have serious quality of life altering complications from their infection, so idk, man

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #13022 on: December 18, 2020, 01:48:05 PM »
Those young people who don’t die might still have serious quality of life altering complications from their infection, so idk, man
The elderly are more likely to suffer many of those complications as they're more likely to suffer severe disease (biggest risk factor is age or chronic medical conditions, which they're more likely to have).

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13023 on: December 18, 2020, 02:35:27 PM »
To be clear, I’m arguing from a devil’s advocate position but if your essential workers can’t work and potentially become disabled, that’s gonna cost a lot of public health dollars :yeshrug:

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #13024 on: December 18, 2020, 03:01:49 PM »
Elderly tend to be more so infection endpoints, they don't propagate it. If the vaccine prevents transmission effectively, it seems more effective a method to target the prominent vector of transmission.
The staff moving in and out of LTC for instance should be a high priority choice, and among the few groups where they should be fired if they don't want the jab.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13026 on: December 18, 2020, 06:37:34 PM »
+12 028

Wednesday: "Our numbers are higher because the IT systems crashed earlier this week" :yeshrug

Thurdsay: "Our numbers are higher because the IT systems crashed earlier this week"  :holeup

Friday: "Our numbers are higher because the IT systems crashed earlier this week"  :wut

"We cannot start vaccinations this year because our IT systems need to be updated"  :beli
🤴

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #13028 on: December 18, 2020, 08:29:22 PM »
I don't understand why people think essential workers should get vaccinated ahead of the elderly. If infected, an 85 year-old has a ~1,500x greater chance of dying compared to a 30 year-old essential worker. Using life expectancy, we're still talking about 187.5x years of life (for males).

The strategy would make sense only in a country with few cases, right? If you vaccinate essential workers in such a country, the country's relatively low community spread would be that much lower. No one gets it. No one dies from it.

If you're trying to limit infections, you'll do essential workers, including teachers. Also, essential workers are also more likely to live in multi-generational housing. I hope my parents can get the vaccine at the same time or before I do though.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #13029 on: December 18, 2020, 10:40:15 PM »
Central California

Multiple businesses have decided they know better than the law are opening.

Apparently the $500 fines weren't a deterrent
:O

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #13030 on: December 19, 2020, 01:56:38 AM »
To quickly recap the flight seating I experienced.
Over the pond: 8 seats per row. I was in the middle which contained 4 seats. There was one seat between me and those on the left. I was next to an aisle. So 7 out 8 seats were filled. When I looked around in economy, I would say that there were usually 1 or 2 empty seats. Business seemed to actually be pretty empty and more ideal in terms of spacing. Money money baby.

Short flight afterwards: 4 seats per row split 2 and 2. Full fucking plane lol. It's now day 4. Feeling good so far.

BrokenVerses

« Reply #13031 on: December 19, 2020, 02:01:36 AM »
I recently took 4 flights with Alaskan Airlines. All of them "practiced social distancing" with their seating assignments. Even in Economy you'd have your side of the row to yourself.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13033 on: December 19, 2020, 01:03:14 PM »
+12 282

"The numbers are higher because we had problems with our IT systems earlier this week"  :kermit

New strain in the UK, 70%(!) more contagious.   :titus
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13034 on: December 19, 2020, 06:47:34 PM »
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 06:52:21 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #13036 on: December 20, 2020, 05:10:39 AM »
Soft southern scum bringing their mutant virus to the beautiful north :pacspit
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13037 on: December 20, 2020, 05:12:41 AM »
Apparently the new strain from the London area has been discovered in the Netherlands too last monday.

Our government has now issued a flight ban since 06:00 AM Sunday morning from all flights too and from the UK and is mulling additional measures to prevent other means of travel from the UK to the Netherlands.
Brussels Airport is also closed for UK flights.

The government strongly recommends not to travel to and from the UK by any means unless it is strictly necessary.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1340600331177254913

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1340598837912723456

« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 05:19:42 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #13038 on: December 20, 2020, 05:20:18 AM »
Didn’t something similar happen in Spain in the summer, re a new strain that spreads quicker
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13039 on: December 20, 2020, 05:21:24 AM »
Didn’t something similar happen in Spain in the summer, re a new strain that spreads quicker
Yeah, that's pretty much the one that is most common in Europe right now (before this one).
And was likely spread late summer 2020 because people went to holiday in Spain etc.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1340590439544569856

"Oh yeah, we knew about this, we just didn't tell anyone until TV man asked. Remember we are the World Health Organization" not the "WARN PEOPLE IN CASE OF DEADLY VIRUSES ORGANIZATION"

Ok, thank you
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13041 on: December 20, 2020, 01:54:33 PM »
Watched a short statement from our health minister regarding the new strain.

He looked very worried and said that more measures might be necessary.
I'm not sure what else can be done next to a near full lockdown we have now but I guess we'll find out.
🤴

james

« Reply #13042 on: December 20, 2020, 02:12:15 PM »
What is this new strain business

james

« Reply #13043 on: December 20, 2020, 02:33:47 PM »
If we get covid-20 then I'm going to blow so many buildings up in minecraft holy shit

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13044 on: December 20, 2020, 04:12:28 PM »
+13 066  :doge
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13045 on: December 20, 2020, 06:25:14 PM »
All of Ontario is going to lockdown on xmas eve, though its still unclear if this is the halfassed lockdown toronto is already in or close to what it was in April.  I was suppose to go to a friends for lunch on xmas. I have been feeling awful about it since I really dont need to be sociallizing in person, so now I will see them outside their place instead, and I feel much better.

james

« Reply #13047 on: December 20, 2020, 07:21:17 PM »
California has to have the new strain right? The way numbers blew up so rapidly

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13048 on: December 21, 2020, 05:56:07 AM »
Our government has said that Dutch people still in the UK should find safe harbor and are on their own  :salute

More and more EU states are banning UK flights and France has suspended freight from/to Calais. There are rumors that they might close the tunnel too.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 06:00:35 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #13049 on: December 21, 2020, 10:09:34 AM »
What is this new strain business

Julie Strain
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13050 on: December 21, 2020, 10:53:54 AM »
Seems like the Ontario lockdown will be more like April's.  Really happy about that.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #13051 on: December 21, 2020, 01:47:22 PM »

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #13052 on: December 21, 2020, 02:28:29 PM »
Our government has said that Dutch people still in the UK should find safe harbor and are on their own  :salute

More and more EU states are banning UK flights and France has suspended freight from/to Calais. There are rumors that they might close the tunnel too.

Dutch
Directness

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #13053 on: December 21, 2020, 03:38:55 PM »
Elderly tend to be more so infection endpoints, they don't propagate it. If the vaccine prevents transmission effectively, it seems more effective a method to target the prominent vector of transmission.
The staff moving in and out of LTC for instance should be a high priority choice, and among the few groups where they should be fired if they don't want the jab.
The elderly may not transmit it as much as younger people, but they still do--who do you think disproportionately goes to churches, doctors, and hospitals.

Since we don't know whether the vaccines prevent transmission but we do know that they prevent the disease, instead of vaccinating those a few times more likely to spread it, we should vaccinate those with a relative risk of death that is hundreds of times greater (85+ age group's relative risk of death is over 4,000 greater than the 16-24 age group and over 1,000 greater than the 25-34 age group).

Yes to the LTC staff getting it first.

If you're trying to limit infections, you'll do essential workers, including teachers. Also, essential workers are also more likely to live in multi-generational housing.
The main aim should be to reduce deaths. The surest bet (since a) we don't know know whether the vaccines prevent transmission [they probably do] and b) we don't have sufficient supplies to make a major dent in the R0) is to give it to the very oldest and then move to the next oldest age group until differences are no longer meaningful.

Also, essential workers are also more likely to live in multi-generational housing.
Some essential workers live in multi-generational housing and some of that housing contains the elderly and if some of those essential workers are vaccinated they may be prevented (not know for sure) from infecting the elderly in that housing. Surely, if the end game is to protect the elderly in that housing--just vaccinate the elderly.

Here is Germany's priority list:
GROUP 1 — HIGHEST PRIORITY:

1. Those over 80 years old.

2. Care workers who work in elderly people's homes or regularly look after the elderly or the mentally ill.

3. Health care workers with a high risk of exposure to COVID-19, especially those working in intensive care units, emergency rooms, and first responders.

4. Health care workers who primarily treat patients with a higher risk of dying from COVID-19.

GROUP 2 — HIGHER PRIORITY:

1. Those over 70 years old.

2. Those with underlying health conditions that significantly increase the risk of dying from COVID-19. These include those with dementia or a similar mental health issue, those recovering from an organ transplant, and those with Down Syndrome.

3. Those who live or work in close contact with people in care or pregnant women.

4. Doctors and other health care workers who have a higher risk of exposure to COVID-19.

5. Essential workers who maintain public hospital infrastructure.

GROUP 3 — HIGH PRIORITY

1. Those over 60 years old.

2. People with underlying health conditions that significantly increase the risk of serious illness from COVID-19. These include, but are not limited to, people with diabetes, cancer, chronic kidney or liver conditions, HIV or other immune-deficiency conditions, heart conditions, asthma, and clinical obesity.

3. Health care workers not already included in the first two groups.

4. Those vital to maintaining the state apparatus, including the government, police, fire departments, disaster relief, and parliamentarians.

5. Other critical infrastructure workers, including those maintaining power, water, and food supplies, telecommunication networks, the transport system, the pharmacy network, and refuse disposal.

6. Teachers and daycare workers.

7. Those in precarious part-time jobs, including meat-processors, and warehouse workers.

8. Retail workers.

Look how far the list you have to go before you get to essential workers (non health care)!

Let's see the UK:

- Residents in a care home for older adults and their carers

- All those aged 80 and over, frontline health and social care workers

- All those aged 75 and over

- All those aged 70 and over, clinically extremely vulnerable individuals

- All those aged 65 and over

- All individuals aged 16-64 with underlying health conditions

- All those aged 60 and over

- All those aged 55 and over

- All those aged 50 and over

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13054 on: December 21, 2020, 04:50:26 PM »
If I were in charge of Germany I would swap 1 and 3 for starters but I guess the Albert Speer aficionados still have a stronger lobby than healthcare workers? :idont
🤴

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #13055 on: December 21, 2020, 08:54:42 PM »
If I were in charge of Germany I would swap 1 and 3 for starters but I guess the Albert Speer aficionados still have a stronger lobby than healthcare workers? :idont

this is how hitler started like a direct quote I am sure of it
rub

james

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13057 on: December 22, 2020, 06:29:21 AM »
Oh shit, I just watched a video the other month that talked about how bad it would be if Antarctica was hit

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13058 on: December 22, 2020, 07:07:06 AM »
Our Hospitals have decided to suspend all regular and 'planned' non-emergency care until further notice due to a lack of staff and IC capacity.

Emergency care includes
- Surgery that can't wait 6 weeks (organ transplants, cancer treatments etc.)
- Healthcare related to accidents and/or other medical emergencies
🤴

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #13061 on: December 22, 2020, 09:08:37 PM »
https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1341127571379896320

trump admin thinks lebron is king of the blacks  :doge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #13062 on: December 23, 2020, 01:33:48 AM »
This is how the plot of Space Jam 2 begins. Lebron gets the vaccine and he's the only NBA player immune from space-covid.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13063 on: December 23, 2020, 09:18:02 AM »
Or what if him and Bugs decide to get it at the exact same time, you know to show the kids it's Ok, but the vaccine turns him into a cartoon and Bugs into a Sonic V1 CGI monster.  Thats when I Believe I Can Fly kicks in.  This thing basically writes itself. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13064 on: December 23, 2020, 10:37:29 AM »

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #13065 on: December 23, 2020, 10:42:02 AM »
I had planned to get the vaccine but will now stand in solidarity with our seniors by not doing so until THEY can. I urge my colleagues who are under 65 and healthy to join me. (2/2)

:lol

Also, she's definitely dying her hair gray....cause when did that happen?

Clockwork5

« Reply #13066 on: December 23, 2020, 10:53:45 AM »
If I’m this sick and DONT got the rona I’m gonna be pissed. 5 days of fever, headache, sore throat, dizziness, fatigue, body aches.... everything.

Get my test results tomorrow but yeah if I get over this and then have to still worry about getting the real deadly virus I’m going to cry.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Clockwork5

« Reply #13068 on: December 24, 2020, 06:49:18 AM »
My test came back positive.  My symptoms aren’t too bad at this point though so I’m pretty sure I’ve made it through the worst. Spending the Christmas holiday quarantined is gonna be fun. My mom is going to be gutted, she was really holding out hope that I would be able to come over tomorrow.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13069 on: December 24, 2020, 06:51:30 AM »
My test came back positive.  My symptoms aren’t too bad at this point though so I’m pretty sure I’ve made it through the worst. Spending the Christmas holiday quarantined is gonna be fun. My mom is going to be gutted, she was really holding out hope that I would be able to come over tomorrow.
Glad to hear you are feeling better. Get well soon.

Sucks about Christmas, my plans to visit my parents are still on but that could change at any moment  :fbm
🤴

daycru

« Reply #13070 on: December 24, 2020, 06:53:12 AM »
I had planned to get the vaccine but will now stand in solidarity with our seniors by not doing so until THEY can. I urge my colleagues who are under 65 and healthy to join me. (2/2)

:lol

Also, she's definitely dying her hair gray....cause when did that happen?
She’s talked about this, the grey streak is a tribute to dead troops

Clockwork5

« Reply #13071 on: December 24, 2020, 07:09:44 AM »
I’ve decided I am going to spend this quarantine week being as productive as possible. I’m going to finally beat DQXI.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13073 on: December 24, 2020, 10:02:44 AM »
US new cases seem to be down trending this week.  Canada had 172 deaths yesterday which is is someting we havent had since April. 

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #13074 on: December 24, 2020, 10:32:19 AM »
My brother and cousin got the Pfizer vax the other day...
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13075 on: December 26, 2020, 08:39:29 AM »
Refusing new entry from all over the world
https://twitter.com/news24ntv/status/1342796138340970497

Japan has closed all entry for foreigners starting January 28th
🤴

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #13076 on: December 26, 2020, 08:59:26 AM »
Nice. Fixing all the damn gaijin damage thrust upon them back in 1853.

james

« Reply #13077 on: December 26, 2020, 10:53:24 AM »
My stimulus trip nooooooo

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13078 on: December 26, 2020, 10:59:57 AM »
My cousin, who is a nurse, is getting vaccinated this week.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot