Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1074086 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Please scream inside your heart
« Reply #12961 on: December 09, 2020, 04:24:57 PM »
gonna need to re-learn social interactions

re-learn?
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12962 on: December 09, 2020, 04:51:04 PM »
gonna need to re-learn social interactions

Not me, man. Masks and 6-feet 4 lyfe
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12963 on: December 09, 2020, 04:56:07 PM »
Now that masks are introduced and cases have gone up the conclusion among the COVID truthers is.... MASKS CAUSE CORONA.

Also a secret government memo leaked (and was later officially released) that claimed closing down bars and restaurants had a negative effect on reducing infections rather than a positive effect which isn't helping things.

:wut
6589 new cases today

Getting more and more emails of people with: "halp I'm sick I have the rona" lately.
And I'm sitting behind my $2000 computer like  :corona_rodney

🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12964 on: December 09, 2020, 06:41:05 PM »
US will be 3K deaths today. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12965 on: December 09, 2020, 06:54:01 PM »
dog

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #12966 on: December 09, 2020, 07:18:30 PM »
+3,164
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 07:51:47 PM by Flannel Boy »

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12968 on: December 09, 2020, 10:10:15 PM »
Canada has 116 deaths.  We are going to be at the death rate we were in the first wave pretty soon, except now most provinces have high death rates.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #12969 on: December 10, 2020, 04:08:22 AM »
https://twitter.com/zorinaq/status/1336718542222192640

Yeah, this is rough. The difference is that the non-covid ICU need is much higher now than it was this spring. The amount of covid patients in ICU is less than half of what it was during the peak in April. Hoping the plateauing we're seeing in cases will hold, but I guess a resurgence over the holidays is not entirely unlikely.
地平線

Fifstar

« Reply #12970 on: December 10, 2020, 09:47:43 AM »

Yeah, this is rough. The difference is that the non-covid ICU need is much higher now than it was this spring. The amount of covid patients in ICU is less than half of what it was during the peak in April. Hoping the plateauing we're seeing in cases will hold, but I guess a resurgence over the holidays is not entirely unlikely.

I thought Sweden numbers were looking good/okay, at least regarding deaths from covid.

We in germany complety lost the plot meanwhile. Our daily infections numbers are on the same high level of ~ 20.000 infections per day since beginning of november and it seems like a change in test strategy is responsible for underaccountance of more cases. Now we even have a rise in cases again. Daily death numbers are still rising and we already have more deaths than in spring - and we haven't even reached peak yet  :-\ :-\

Science and Merkel were in favor of harder and earlier lockdown but our dumb federal state heads went with a lockdown light because they were too afraid of covidiots and decline of business  :brain
Gulp

Flannel Boy

• Icon

Flannel Boy

• Icon

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12973 on: December 10, 2020, 11:13:03 AM »
+8793 cases today

That's over 2000 cases more than yesterday.

Meanwhile the urban legend that Masks and not Sinterklaas parties are to blame is spreading like wildfire.
🤴

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #12974 on: December 10, 2020, 11:46:02 AM »
50% jump in our footprint today (that's never happened). Hospitals between 87-93% filled.
que

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #12975 on: December 10, 2020, 12:32:02 PM »
https://twitter.com/GidMK/status/1336493616097681412

I've seen a lot of rumbling from anti-lockdowners about increased suicides or increased abuse from kids stuck at home all day with abusive parents (you wonder how concerned they were about these things in February), and I'm like yeah okay there's probably some truth to that and that's terrible, but on one hand you have hypothetical bad thing that could happen but we have no idea to what extent, and on the other hand we have actual bad thing that happening right now and it's really fucking bad.
©@©™

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #12976 on: December 10, 2020, 12:40:35 PM »
No schools = no bullies = no suicides

Mean girls in shambles
:O

james

« Reply #12977 on: December 10, 2020, 04:31:29 PM »
South Dakota has joined ND with more than 10% of the state having had the rona.

Congrats!

Meanwhile, DC has joined the 1 in every 1000 dead club

Congrats!

New Jersey is about to hit 1 in every 500 dead probably tomorrow.

Congrats!

Pennywise

« Reply #12978 on: December 10, 2020, 05:38:46 PM »

I thought Sweden numbers were looking good/okay, at least regarding deaths from covid.

We in germany complety lost the plot meanwhile. Our daily infections numbers are on the same high level of ~ 20.000 infections per day since beginning of november and it seems like a change in test strategy is responsible for underaccountance of more cases. Now we even have a rise in cases again. Daily death numbers are still rising and we already have more deaths than in spring - and we haven't even reached peak yet  :-\ :-\

Science and Merkel were in favor of harder and earlier lockdown but our dumb federal state heads went with a lockdown light because they were too afraid of covidiots and decline of business  :brain
Which is the worst part of it.
One proper hard lockdown instead of this shit to save christmas...

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #12979 on: December 10, 2020, 06:07:49 PM »

Hehe, well, depends on how you look at it. Like most of the rest of Europe, we're having a seasonality-based second surge of cases, hospitalisations and deaths. If you only look at the case numbers, they are looking a lot higher now than they were in the spring, but we are testing around 10 times as many people per week now as we were back in April. The hospitalisation rate is pretty high, but luckily the ICU admissions and death rates are not as high as they were during the April peak. The department of public health has projected the peak of this outbreak to be around a week from now, our increase started about a two weeks to a month later than other European countries. The outlier so far is the Skåne county (with Malmö as the biggest city) which is still increasing, possibly because they've not been hit as hard as the other major urban areas during this year so immunity is lower.

You can see the trend curve for deaths here, based on a rolling 7-day average:
https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/?scale=linear&data=deaths&trendline=false&location=Sweden

Feel free to add countries to the right to compare. The vertices are only drawn when you have 2 plots or less.
地平線

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12980 on: December 10, 2020, 06:47:14 PM »
Ontario is starting vaccinations next week.  Woot. 

Fifstar

« Reply #12981 on: December 11, 2020, 05:30:43 AM »

Hehe, well, depends on how you look at it. Like most of the rest of Europe, we're having a seasonality-based second surge of cases, hospitalisations and deaths. If you only look at the case numbers, they are looking a lot higher now than they were in the spring, but we are testing around 10 times as many people per week now as we were back in April. The hospitalisation rate is pretty high, but luckily the ICU admissions and death rates are not as high as they were during the April peak. The department of public health has projected the peak of this outbreak to be around a week from now, our increase started about a two weeks to a month later than other European countries. The outlier so far is the Skåne county (with Malmö as the biggest city) which is still increasing, possibly because they've not been hit as hard as the other major urban areas during this year so immunity is lower.

https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/?scale=linear&data=deaths&trendline=false&location=Sweden

Feel free to add countries to the right to compare. The vertices are only drawn when you have 2 plots or less.

I was looking at the worldometers numbers and it looks like the death numbers already saw a steep decline since the end of november. So I thought the situation was already getting under control. Looks different with your link.
Gulp

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #12982 on: December 11, 2020, 05:50:54 AM »

I was looking at the worldometers numbers and it looks like the death numbers already saw a steep decline since the end of november. So I thought the situation was already getting under control. Looks different with your link.

Ah. The one I linked uses the Johns Hopkins CSSE numbers, which are the number of reported deaths per day (which may have occurred on various days), while I see the Worldometers graph is sourced from the "Deaths attributed per date" graph from FHM. This is continuously updated, so the last 7-10 days will always be "unfinished", that's why it looks like it's tapering off.
地平線

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #12983 on: December 11, 2020, 02:23:25 PM »
https://adamaltmejd.se/covid/

Updated chart going by actual date of death which color codes to show the reporting lag. At least we've gotten some nifty data visualization out of mass tragedy!

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #12984 on: December 11, 2020, 05:43:32 PM »
https://adamaltmejd.se/covid/

Updated chart going by actual date of death which color codes to show the reporting lag. At least we've gotten some nifty data visualization out of mass tragedy!

I read the bottom-most box on the right as "goth percentile"  :joker
地平線

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12985 on: December 11, 2020, 06:27:17 PM »
+8.894 cases

still going up
🤴

james

« Reply #12986 on: December 13, 2020, 03:35:18 AM »
Vaccines start arriving Monday!!!!!!!!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12987 on: December 13, 2020, 01:43:35 PM »
+9924 cases

Government is panicking. Germany has closed non essential shops so Germans are starting to cross the borders to shop here.
Retailers have called on our government not to close non-essential stores because of the holiday shopping season.
Also, lots of people have bought flight tickets to celebrate Christmas overseas as the airport remains open.

There's likely going to be a curfew on New Years Eve but no one really knows how the police could and would enforce it.

The situation is tense. People dgaf and want society to open up not close and most political parties, except for Geert Wilders' PVV and the ruling VVD are in dissaray. 
🤴

james

« Reply #12988 on: December 13, 2020, 01:48:51 PM »
+9924 cases

Government is panicking. Germany has closed non essential shops so Germans are starting to cross the borders to shop here.
Retailers have called on our government not to close non-essential stores because of the holiday shopping season.
Also, lots of people have bought flight tickets to celebrate Christmas overseas as the airport remains open.

There's likely going to be a curfew on New Years Eve but no one really knows how the police could and would enforce it.

The situation is tense. People dgaf and want society to open up not close and most political parties, except for Geert Wilders' PVV and the ruling VVD are in dissaray.

The germans are experts at keeping people locked inside for extended periods, you should call them up

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #12989 on: December 14, 2020, 11:19:19 AM »
First woman in US to be vaccinated is a nurse from Long Island Jewish...

https://abc7news.com/covid-vaccine-pfizer-sandra-lindsay-first/8768796/
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12990 on: December 14, 2020, 01:15:47 PM »
Lockdown for 5 weeks

:doggy
lol you can hear the anti virus people protest outside while the PM is speaking :neogaf
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12991 on: December 14, 2020, 06:26:24 PM »

:trumps
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #12992 on: December 14, 2020, 07:26:36 PM »
Invert it, cases over population.

Fifstar

« Reply #12993 on: December 15, 2020, 06:24:37 AM »
+9924 cases

Non essential shops aren't closed until tomorrow in Germany so until then you won't have seen any effect due to this.
Gulp

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12994 on: December 15, 2020, 06:45:09 AM »
Nintex : The Boy who cried Deutsch.
ὕβρις

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #12995 on: December 15, 2020, 08:59:49 AM »
Ze Germans :rage
(ice)

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #12996 on: December 15, 2020, 09:04:32 AM »
Flying across the sea tonight boize to go see my waifu*. Wish me luck. I'll take a picture to show what the seating looked like.

*actually my family  :-\

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12997 on: December 15, 2020, 11:10:24 AM »
Ontario is 2275+ new cases today.  Fucking hell.  The first time we are over 2k. 

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #12998 on: December 16, 2020, 11:19:38 AM »
First, the histological morphology of the testes from five COVID-19 patients and three uninfected controls was examined by periodic acid-Schiff (PAS) staining. The COVID-19 patients were aged 51, 62, 70, 78, and 83 years, and the control patients were aged 71, 78, and 80 years (Supplementary Table S1). In all five COVID-19 patients, numerous degenerated germ cells (GCs) had sloughed into the lumen of seminiferous tubules (Fig. 1a). In contrast, in the age-matched control tissues, GCs at various stages were well aligned around the whole seminiferous tubules (Fig. 1a). Strikingly, in four of the five cases, GC loss was massive, with only a few GCs left attached to the seminiferous tubules. In particular, many seminiferous tubules in the testes of patients 4 and 5 showed almost no intact GCs, similar to Sertoli cell-only syndrome. Consistent with this morphological observation, the number of DDX4 (a germ cell marker)-positive cells was dramatically reduced in all testicular specimens from the COVID-19 group (Supplementary Fig. S1a, b). Interestingly, the number of Sertoli cells in the testes of SARS-CoV-2-infected patients and uninfected controls was comparable (Supplementary Fig. S1c, d), suggesting that SARS-CoV-2 infection may not impair Sertoli cells. These morphological changes in the testes of COVID-19 patients indicate that SARS-CoV-2 infection may impair male GC development and eventually lead to GC loss.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41423-020-00604-5

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #12999 on: December 16, 2020, 12:23:18 PM »
rip humans
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13000 on: December 16, 2020, 12:56:33 PM »
Ontario 2139+ today.  Xmas is going to be so bad.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13001 on: December 16, 2020, 01:06:41 PM »
+11 214

But there were some delayed(?) numbers from yesterday  :flabbypd
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13002 on: December 16, 2020, 04:03:09 PM »
A friend of mine caught it.  First person I know.  Got it from his mom who is a healthcare worker :(

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #13003 on: December 16, 2020, 05:33:13 PM »
I've got a sister in law with it now. She's like WAY overweight and super unhealthy. So... let's see what happens. My mother in law and brother in law both recovered.
rub

Coffee Dog

« Reply #13004 on: December 16, 2020, 05:40:40 PM »
My sister got it like a week ago, meaning I now get to say I know somebody who got it.  :-\ she's young and got through it fine, thankfully.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #13005 on: December 16, 2020, 05:43:32 PM »
Our capacity is going getting better today!!!

because we had 3x the normal daily deaths yesterday.  :-\
que

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #13007 on: December 16, 2020, 07:23:16 PM »
One of my bosses got the rona.
©@©™

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #13008 on: December 16, 2020, 07:56:05 PM »
why you all catching covid?

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #13009 on: December 16, 2020, 08:44:11 PM »
California:  +61,569 cases +407 deaths

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13010 on: December 16, 2020, 09:06:31 PM »

wow

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13011 on: December 16, 2020, 11:15:01 PM »
3,486 death today in the US. That's a new record, by the way.
dog

james

« Reply #13012 on: December 17, 2020, 01:05:53 AM »

I said wow

Flannel Boy

• Icon

Flannel Boy

• Icon

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #13015 on: December 17, 2020, 03:39:40 PM »
I don't understand why people think essential workers should get vaccinated ahead of the elderly. If infected, an 85 year-old has a ~1,500x greater chance of dying compared to a 30 year-old essential worker. Using life expectancy, we're still talking about 187.5x years of life (for males).

The strategy would make sense only in a country with few cases, right? If you vaccinate essential workers in such a country, the country's relatively low community spread would be that much lower. No one gets it. No one dies from it.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13016 on: December 17, 2020, 04:38:07 PM »
 +12 844 cases

Macron has fallen

The Netherlands / Belgium and Germany call upon their citizens to stay home and not cross the border.
https://twitter.com/MinPres/status/1339495655501393920

🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13017 on: December 17, 2020, 04:59:56 PM »
I don't understand why people think essential workers should get vaccinated ahead of the elderly. If infected, an 85 year-old has a ~1,500x greater chance of dying compared to a 30 year-old essential worker. Using life expectancy, we're still talking about 187.5x years of life (for males).

The strategy would make sense only in a country with few cases, right? If you vaccinate essential workers in such a country, the country's relatively low community spread would be that much lower. No one gets it. No one dies from it.

Some armchair ideas I have:

1) There are fewer healthcare workers and they interact with more elderly.  So I think the idea is if the elderly only interact with healthcare workers like in a care home, then stopping workers from being vectors keeps the elderly safe.  I think a lot of planning is focused on care homes.

2) If the elderly are not in care homes, you have logistics to deal with getting them the shot, which can be postponed if you prioritize healthcare works.

3) There is not enough for all elderly, so this avoids the optics/stress of grandma calling the hospital 8 times and keep getting told to wait.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13018 on: December 17, 2020, 05:37:28 PM »
No vaccinations in December like some other EU member states because IT systems need to be updated.

Also no mail in ballots for the General Election in March for anyone younger than 70 because it is not and I quote "desirable".
I quote our secretary of the interior: "When people vote in person you can check if a vote hasn't been tampered with or a voter hasn't been influenced, with mail-in ballots you cannot"
🤴

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #13019 on: December 17, 2020, 08:48:07 PM »

Some armchair ideas I have:

1) There are fewer healthcare workers and they interact with more elderly.  So I think the idea is if the elderly only interact with healthcare workers like in a care home, then stopping workers from being vectors keeps the elderly safe.  I think a lot of planning is focused on care homes.

2) If the elderly are not in care homes, you have logistics to deal with getting them the shot, which can be postponed if you prioritize healthcare works.

3) There is not enough for all elderly, so this avoids the optics/stress of grandma calling the hospital 8 times and keep getting told to wait.

I agree with vaccinating health care workers first. By essential workers I meant the 85 million workers (according to the CDC) who work as grocery cashiers, teachers, police officers, delivery people, etc.