Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1073939 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Please scream inside your heart
« Reply #13080 on: December 26, 2020, 04:09:17 PM »
https://twitter.com/CityNews/status/1342933503038644228

Well fuck
It has been in 'circulation' since September apparently  :doge

Plus they found another mutation that's even more contagious from South Africa.
🤴

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13082 on: December 27, 2020, 12:47:04 PM »
Some Dutch directness from our head virologist today with regards to COVID spread in nursing homes.

"What we learned is that there a lot of factors at play. Including the level of education of people who care for the elderly and the situation in the nursing homes."
Of course frontline healthcare workers are not happy that he essentially says they are stupid.

After his previous hits:

"The virus won't come to Europe"
"The virus is not contagious"
"Masks will not stop the spread of the virus"

Yet the media keeps fluffing this guy as he is still officially the foremost expert in the world on disease control  :heh

Yesterday our health minister also adressed those concerned about the COVID vaccine.
Interviewer: "Some people are nervous because they don't know what's in it"

Minister : "Well you don't know what's in your Frikadellen(fast food) either right?"

Interviewer: "That's true I guess but..."

Minister: "Just get your shotty hahaha"
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13085 on: December 28, 2020, 09:22:30 AM »
So I think I may have been infected with this bioweapon.

Day 1 - dry mouth / throat hurts
Day 2 - dry mouth / coughs / throat hurts / felt as tired as a ResetEra member
Day 3 - dry mouth / coughs / throat hurts / diarrhea / lots of phlegm / feel as tired as a ResetEra member

No fever (yet) but going for a test tommorow.
Could also be the flu, didn't get a flu shot this year because they limited those to people aged 60 and up.

Update: test came back negative, get yourself tested in case you have symptoms :heart
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 07:57:18 AM by Nintex »
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #13086 on: December 28, 2020, 02:53:18 PM »
I got a flu shot and I'm not 60 and up. They probably just liked you as much as the bore does.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13087 on: December 28, 2020, 03:03:46 PM »
Wishing you good health, Ninty

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #13088 on: December 28, 2020, 03:48:39 PM »
So I think I may have been infected with this bioweapon.

Day 1 - dry mouth / throat hurts
Day 2 - dry mouth / coughs / throat hurts / felt as tired as a ResetEra member
Day 3 - dry mouth / coughs / throat hurts / diarrhea / lots of phlegm / feel as tired as a ResetEra member

No fever (yet) but going for a test tommorow.
Could also be the flu, didn't get a flu shot this year because they limited those to people aged 60 and up.
look how they massacred my boy  :tocry

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13090 on: December 28, 2020, 07:49:35 PM »
Can't sleep while feeling as tired as a Resetera member.
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #13091 on: December 28, 2020, 11:59:09 PM »
How will I get my news if Nintex croaks?  :goty
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13092 on: December 29, 2020, 02:42:17 AM »
Reading up on patient stories and I'm following the usual path. Throat is really burning now. Woke up soaked in sweat. Apparently this is all normal but it's scary stuff to get sicker again after feeling a little better yesterday.

I've been measuring my heartrate, temps and blood oxygen saturation since the start of the pandemic. Still hovers around 95% as usual, no fever.

Is it like the flu? Yeah but like a Michael Bay version of the flu.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13093 on: December 29, 2020, 06:08:58 AM »
Went to the testing site. It was quite busy but went fast anyway. Same as earlier this year, nasal swab and throat swab. Some people didn't seem symptomatic at all. Chatting and mingling outside and in the hall. Nurses kinda picked up on the fact that I wasn't there "just in case" and quickly did the test once I told them I was already tested earlier this year

The short drive was nice. That's one thing I really miss during the lockdown.

Ride or die  :tocry
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #13094 on: December 29, 2020, 06:38:37 AM »
Fuck dude. Hope you get better soon.
Spud

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #13095 on: December 29, 2020, 07:35:40 AM »
I read that initially as fuck you dude and thought :doge that’s a bit harsh :lol
(ice)

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #13096 on: December 29, 2020, 12:01:36 PM »
Pull through Nintex, c'mon man.

Also ban Nintex.
rub

Clockwork5

« Reply #13097 on: December 29, 2020, 01:21:14 PM »
Symptoms are pretty much gone now. Fever ended yesterday today I just have a little bit of congestion. If all goes well and no fever tomorrow I can end this isolation.

I’m thinking about flaunting my newly acquired immunity and drinking at a bar this weekend but knowing my luck I’ll immediately get that mutant British coronavirus.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13098 on: December 29, 2020, 01:53:56 PM »
Symptoms are pretty much gone now. Fever ended yesterday today I just have a little bit of congestion. If all goes well and no fever tomorrow I can end this isolation.

I’m thinking about flaunting my newly acquired immunity and drinking at a bar this weekend but knowing my luck I’ll immediately get that mutant British coronavirus.
Congrats  by my count you had it about 12 days?
🤴

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #13099 on: December 29, 2020, 01:58:26 PM »

Congrats  by my count you had it about 12 days?

When do you expect your results, anyway?
rub

Clockwork5

« Reply #13100 on: December 29, 2020, 02:01:39 PM »
It’s been 11 days since my first symptoms. The first 6 days were pretty hellish with the high fever and dizziness but I’ve actually felt pretty decent these past 5 days, just an off and on low-grade fever with lots of sniffling and sneezing.

Still can’t taste a fucking thing though. Had a glass of bourbon last night to celebrate my improvement and I literally couldn’t taste straight whiskey.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13101 on: December 29, 2020, 04:16:01 PM »
Expecting a test result in 48 hours.

Yeah losing taste is weird and sucks.
Mine isn't completely gone like it was this morning when I couldn't even taste the paracetamol...

Biggest issue I have is the burning throat and overall dizzyness and being tired. Seems that the path is

Day 1 - 3, 3rd day recovery <- flu like
Day 4 - 7, slowly recovering <- mild case (most common)
Day 8 - 14, slowly recovering <- severe case / pneumonia
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13102 on: December 29, 2020, 05:22:45 PM »
Having no taste was the worst. I just wanted to drink some of that sweet Mt. Dew Baja Blast nectar but it just tasted like seltzer water. :tocry
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #13103 on: December 29, 2020, 05:29:27 PM »
I only drink jarritos sparkling minera water  8)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13104 on: December 29, 2020, 06:43:52 PM »
COVID is weird, you have this baseline of feeling shit and then once in a while a bigger wave of misery hits you like just now.

That's what sets it apart for me compared to regular diseases. Probably the immune system attempting to destroy it, I dunno.
🤴

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #13105 on: December 29, 2020, 09:55:59 PM »
Nintex, while you're still conscious, update your will so that your estate is handled by the James fund.

You'll thank me later

:playa

spoiler (click to show/hide)
get well soon
[close]
:O

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #13106 on: December 29, 2020, 11:01:42 PM »
Fear and Testing in Las Vegas

I went to the UNLV walk-in testing site looking for the same thing everyone else wanted: peace of mind.

Someone at my dad's work had gotten sick. He woke up one day feeling ill and called off so he could take a test. When he received the results days later, he notified management and self-isolated. That was sometime last week, but we only found out last night. Why? Management had never told the employees - they probably figured that if they knew, then they would have to test all of the employees and the airplanes would go uncleaned. No, my dad and his coworkers were left wondering "Where's Brandon?", texting him, and finding out the hard way. At this same workplace, my dad's supervisor proudly proclaimed just two months ago that she didn't believe the virus existed. "Do you guys know anyone who's gotten sick? I don't." Since then, at least three people have tested positive there. She still doesn't wear her mask at work.

So there we were, wondering if our family Christmas had become a superspreader event. We had just dropped my brother off at the airport to fly back to LA and he would be on a crowded plane for the next two hours. My father is an at-risk demographic. Enquiring minds wanted to know: were we infected?

When we arrived, the first thing I noticed was the absurd number of military fatigues everywhere. No less than six national guard members assisted us with parking in a half empty lot and showed us where the front of the building was (it was, unsurprisingly, in the front). My dad and I got out of the car. He was wearing full Niners apparel. Noticing this, a person next to us immediately chats him up and they both proceeded to pull off their masks to talk about football. We approached the building and I wondered if someone was going to scold us, but another national guard member pulled off his own mask to shout "Go Niners!" Ozymandias was wrong: there will always be football.

Inside, I sign up for my walk-in. The person assisting me is Liz, a pretty brunette and part of the half of the staff that isn't military or adjacent. She's got some fantastic boots on - as someone who likes fashion I tell her so and she earnestly thanks me. Then she tells me that she got them from her job. I ask her why the school or the medical center would buy her such nice boots. She looks at me while trying to figure out the simplest way to explain and that's when I found out some strange facts in quick succession. She's a model. She isn't volunteering, the modeling agency assigned her to do COVID testing assistance. The site was short on workers and the fire department has a working relationship with that modeling agency because they know they're "dependable workers" so they made the arrangement. I still have no idea why the modeling agency works with the Las Vegas Fire Department or why the Fire Department is the one responsible for staffing the impromptu University Medical Center testing site but I didn't care to dive in further so we both laugh about how strange the situation is. She gets me to follow her on Instagram.

Two more national guard members directed me to the testing room. I guess they didn't trust me to read the signs posted everywhere. I follow the arrows to my designated station and approach the covid test technician. She's dressed in full protective gear: faceshield, face mask, gloves, and she's even wearing a smock to keep covid off her clothes. She hands me the test kit. Then she tells me step-by-step instructions - first remove the kit from bag. Pull my mask down below my nose, but do not ever expose my mouth. Unscrew the lid... Finally I realized what was going on. "Wait, do I have to self-administer this test?" I asked. She said yes and reminded me to stay behind the table. That's when I noticed the fear of death in her eyes. She probably saw a hundred people a day at least and it would only take one of them to kill her.

So I started swabbing my own nose. The few times I had taken a test in the spring and summer, someone had done it for me. Today I had to be thorough all on my own. I reached all the way back into my nostril and began to twist in large circles like she told me. One... two... but by seven or eight I figured that was enough even though she had said fifteen. The other nostril was even less thorough - you're supposed to go as far as you can but my body was suddenly afraid of the pain. The spirit was willing, but the flesh was weak, and truthfully it's easier to have someone do it for you. I put the swab in the container, put it into the ziplock, and placed it on the table, not at all confident that I had done it correctly. I grabbed some tissues for my involuntary tears and left.

My dad leaves the makeshift testing site and is beaming with satisfaction. "See?" he tells me, "Fast and easy." We go to the White Castle to celebrate. As I ate my sliders in the parking lot I tried to process everything I had just experienced. I thought of the word pantomime. At some point I look across the street to the Bavarian restaurant on the corner and notice a couple of masked older teens holding hands. They walk in through the front door. They are on a date.
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #13107 on: December 29, 2020, 11:52:43 PM »
bang bang niner gang  :salute

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #13108 on: December 30, 2020, 12:02:14 AM »
Write more Shosta, that's good stuff.
rub

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #13109 on: December 30, 2020, 01:32:42 AM »
Just saw on the news that there have been 59,000 deaths in the US in the last 29 days. WTF USA?
Spud

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #13110 on: December 30, 2020, 01:50:00 AM »
Nvm wrong thread

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13111 on: December 30, 2020, 06:37:20 AM »
My test came back negative  :rejoice

I still feel like shit but then it's just the flu bro  ???
Retesting is recommended if my symptoms get worse though.

Since I didn't get a flu shot this year a combination of flu + asthma makes sense I suppose.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #13112 on: December 30, 2020, 06:38:45 AM »
 :playa

Trurl

« Reply #13113 on: December 30, 2020, 07:44:59 AM »
Is losing your taste a gradual thing or is it more like a switch being flipped?

Glad to hear that you're negative, Nintex.  Hope that you continue to feel better. 🙏

james

« Reply #13114 on: December 30, 2020, 10:22:18 AM »

Since I didn't get a flu shot this year a combination of flu + asthma makes sense I suppose.

How does one get the flu if they're following all precautions?

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #13115 on: December 30, 2020, 10:23:11 AM »
dutch directness :trumps
(ice)

Clockwork5

« Reply #13116 on: December 30, 2020, 11:21:33 AM »

I’m glad you’re in the clear. Though I will say, coming out on the other side of this thing doesn’t feel too bad. And while I’m not going to go crazy and kick it with crowds of people, it will feel nice to push that fear of a highly contagious, deadly virus a bit further back in my mind.

Trurl

« Reply #13117 on: December 30, 2020, 11:28:42 AM »
As someone who is probably going to be positive in the next couple days if not today, your post is reassuring.

There's been some speculation about the long term effects of Covid.  Is there any chance that the short immunity period can point to its long term effects being less important?

Clockwork5

« Reply #13118 on: December 30, 2020, 11:31:27 AM »
And in all honesty I’m most grateful I didn’t give it to anyone. I guess there is a chance I brought it to a gas station I visited 2 days before my symptoms appeared (and I called them to let them know) but apart from that I just happened to be a lazy piece of shit who didn’t leave the house during those couple of days before my symptoms popped up.

I swear my ability to be perfectly content not leaving the house for days at a time has paid dividends in 2020.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13119 on: December 30, 2020, 11:43:53 AM »

How does one get the flu if they're following all precautions?
Because others aren't following the guidelines. A mask only protects others not yourself.
There's a number of occasions when you simply get close to people, for examples when they creep up behind you in supermarkets, grab your cart as you leave to take it over because there aren't any left or disabled folks in scooters zooming past you.

Going to a supermarket is like Metal Gear Solid on hard mode.

I felt much safer when I thought LADYFREEDOM294384938, VirusRealistScientist, SorosCrusher69 and ((DickThePatriot)) were just Russian bots and not living 3 blocks away from me.

Also the delivery guy sends his 12 year old kid to deliver packages these days. It's a nice kid and I'm sure his dad can use the help during these busy times but if that kid caught something, everyone he goes to has it too.  :doge
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #13120 on: December 30, 2020, 11:51:57 AM »
some old bloke was so close behind me in a queue yesterday that if he got a hard on he'd have poked me up the arse :doge
(ice)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #13121 on: December 30, 2020, 11:53:17 AM »
some old bloke was so close behind me in a queue yesterday that if he got a hard on he'd have poked me up the arse :doge

:drool  :phil  :drool
Margs

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #13122 on: December 30, 2020, 11:54:30 AM »
i'm lucky that the old bitch will have been impotent for at least 20 years :heh
(ice)

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #13124 on: December 30, 2020, 01:02:59 PM »
People are saying the UK variant isn't deadlier based on this paper:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/948152/Technical_Briefing_VOC202012-2_Briefing_2_FINAL.pdf

The 28-day case fatality was assessed for variant cases and comparator cases. Analysis was restricted to 2,700 cases with a full 28 days elapsed since the specimendate. Among variant cases, 12 of 1,340 (0.89%) variant cases died within 28 days of their specimen date compared with 10 of 1,360 (0.73%) wild-type comparator cases; this difference was not significant (Odds ratio:1.21, p=0.65).

Based on the tiny sample, it's actually 22% deadlier. Because the difference is small and the sample size is tiny, the results are not statistically significant (in this case it is 65% likely that it's by chance [it needs to be below 5%]).

james

« Reply #13125 on: December 30, 2020, 09:17:14 PM »
+3,880

New US death record

Happy new year everyone

Biff

« Reply #13126 on: December 30, 2020, 10:29:17 PM »
Nintex - glad you are negative. Based on your description I thought you would be negative. I'm not a doctor but I *think* yellow phlegm is a telltale differentiator between COVID and a normal cold/flu (as in phlegm is a common symptom of the latter but not the former).

Did any Corona vets here have phlegm?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13127 on: December 31, 2020, 07:16:06 AM »
Hospitals are in serious trouble, 16% of ICU personel is now sick. They want our gov to distribute vaccines ASAP as the situation is getting worse and quit stalling. They're now preparing triage plans because things will only get worse over the coming days and weeks.

Meanwhile the PM is not available for comment and every spokesperson from the department of health is on leave. Journalists are now openly calling for the government to resign and to put literally anyone else in charge of managing this crisis but the clown that is our health secretary.

Our health secretary has reponded that he will 'circle back on this' monday  :dead
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 07:54:58 AM by Nintex »
🤴

james

« Reply #13128 on: December 31, 2020, 09:55:34 AM »
Mom has dry cough and light fever

:'(

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13129 on: December 31, 2020, 10:12:01 AM »

Damn sorry to hear that.
Make sure she gets a test
🤴

james

« Reply #13130 on: December 31, 2020, 11:02:22 AM »

Damn sorry to hear that.
Make sure she gets a test

She will tomorrow if the symptoms don't go away

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #13131 on: December 31, 2020, 11:07:05 AM »
In the chronicles of "How petty is puppy?" a friend of friend who has been a Trumper-"muh rights!"-anti-lockdown-anti-mask idiot since this began not only caught it, but her whole family has it. Sorry, but my initial reaction was "Good. I hope she suffers at least as much as my friends who took it seriously." Shame about her family though. That ain't right.
que

Flannel Boy

• Icon

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #13133 on: December 31, 2020, 11:27:32 AM »
UK   +55,892 cases   and +964 deaths

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #13134 on: December 31, 2020, 12:52:10 PM »
We quantified the transmission advantage of the VOC [the UK Strain] relative to non-VOC lineages in two ways: as an additive increase in R that ranged between 0.4 and 0.7, and alternatively as a multiplicative increase in R that ranged between a 50% and 75% advantage. We were not able to distinguish between these two approaches in goodness-of-fit, and either is plausible mechanistically. A multiplicative transmission advantage would be expected if transmissibility had increased in all settings and individuals, while an additive advantage might reflect increases in transmissibility in specific subpopulations or contexts. More generally, the temporal context is important; these estimates of transmission advantage apply to a period where high levels of social distancing were in place in England; extrapolation to other transmission contexts, without detailed knowledge of the drivers of transmission, requires caution.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/mrc-gida/2020-12-31-COVID19-Report-42-Preprint-VOC.pdf

Also seems to be affecting a greater proportion of under 20s.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13135 on: December 31, 2020, 01:26:48 PM »
Dutch research has shown that 1 in 5 cats of a COVID infected household get infected too and 14% of dogs  :(

The new more contagious COVID strain is making things much worse for Europe in general.
Some very dark months ahead. It takes up to 2 weeks for the virus to develop and ~3 weeks before symptoms get to a point that hospitalization is necessary.
So this new wave is just 'Christmas shopping' not even all the people that had Christmas gatherings last week.
🤴

Flannel Boy

• Icon

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #13137 on: December 31, 2020, 01:31:28 PM »
UK is totally fucked brehs  :-\
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13138 on: December 31, 2020, 01:39:32 PM »
UK is totally fucked brehs  :-\
Interesting thread of what they are doing and how it is different from March
https://twitter.com/rupert_pearse/status/1344640091927547910

Overall they are better organized, supplied and prepared but there's only so much they can do.  :-\

Meanwhile I still hear dumb shits playing with fireworks outside, they don't realize that if they burn themselves or lose a hand there will be literally no one to help them.
🤴

james

« Reply #13139 on: December 31, 2020, 01:43:58 PM »
Someone vaccinate me please