Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1062348 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Re: Corona virus megathread |OT|
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2020, 02:12:35 PM »
I also have to go into work for a release this week, and I’m the kind of guy that will go to work sick, and I work in an open office. Plus I have to get my head cut into by a surgeon this week. I only use public transportation. I’m more disease vector than man.
serge

Bebpo

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2020, 02:18:09 PM »
Also I thought you lived in SF?

If you're in LA, after we hopefully both survive this virus, we really should meetup.

TVC15

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2020, 02:20:43 PM »
Also I thought you lived in SF?

If you're in LA, after we hopefully both survive this virus, we really should meetup.

I’m in Oakland (Alameda County). I’m probably going to be down in LA for work a few times this half, though. I was going to let you know once I knew more!

Edit: ah, they’re still only testing, so it’s not confirmed. I suppose I can eat gunk from the gutter in peace for another day. Last post cancelled.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 02:32:16 PM by TVC15 »
serge

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2020, 02:30:29 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2020, 02:31:52 PM »
The Corona jokes are even more present here in OC where there is a shitty ass city to the east called Corona.

TVC15

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2020, 02:33:29 PM »
Alright, heading out. Let’s hope Bad Boys for Life is worth risking it all for.
serge

Bebpo

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2020, 02:34:31 PM »
Alright, heading out. Let’s hope Bad Boys for Life is worth risking it all for.

I've been hearing it is. I mean if you gotta take some risk, taking it for Will Smith's career redemption seems like a good reason to.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2020, 06:04:04 PM »
So I was gonna make a post last night about how for a friend's birthday we went to a traditional Filipino restaurant last night and had a kamayan dish where they line up the food on the table and we all eat from it with our hands and I was sitting next to a coughing gal who just came back from Seattle airport a few days ago which made me a little  :doge but figured it was fear mongering so didn't post.

Then this morning wake up to find out the 3rd confirmed case is right down the street from me in the next city over (~5 miles away)
https://www.ocregister.com/2020/01/25/case-of-coronavirus-confirmed-in-orange-county/

As someone that is on immune suppresent medication (and just got my lastest dose 3 days ago which supresses my system for the next 2 months!), catches every flu/cold that passes through and gets hit harder by it and takes 2-4x as long to recover from it...I unfortunately have to be concerned :(

There's a lot of hysteria going on but considering your particular situation, it's not unreasonable to keep cautious. If you seriously worry to some cold/flu-like symptoms, don't hesitate to seek urgent care, better safe than sorry.
ὕβρις

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2020, 01:41:41 PM »
They're monitoring a couple students at University of Washington who recently got back from China which is just a mile from me. I'm not worried about that to be honest, but I am worried that if we get more local cases they'll likely end up at Harborview or UW Medical Center where I'm scheduled to have my heart surgery in March and that might push my surgery out even further since I'm likely more susceptible to shit. Hopefully this is under control by then cause I don't want to wait any longer than I have to.

Also, I know they're sold out and backordered on Amazon until March, but I saw a ton of N95 masks at Home Depot this morning.
野球

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2020, 01:51:18 PM »
Still got the flu  :yuck

Or is the corona  ???

halp  :doge
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2020, 02:55:03 PM »
So I was gonna make a post last night about how for a friend's birthday we went to a traditional Filipino restaurant last night and had a kamayan dish where they line up the food on the table and we all eat from it with our hands and I was sitting next to a coughing gal who just came back from Seattle airport a few days ago which made me a little  :doge but figured it was fear mongering so didn't post.

Then this morning wake up to find out the 3rd confirmed case is right down the street from me in the next city over (~5 miles away)
https://www.ocregister.com/2020/01/25/case-of-coronavirus-confirmed-in-orange-county/

As someone that is on immune suppresent medication (and just got my lastest dose 3 days ago which supresses my system for the next 2 months!), catches every flu/cold that passes through and gets hit harder by it and takes 2-4x as long to recover from it...I unfortunately have to be concerned :(

There's a lot of hysteria going on but considering your particular situation, it's not unreasonable to keep cautious. If you seriously worry to some cold/flu-like symptoms, don't hesitate to seek urgent care, better safe than sorry.

Yeah, I'm ok. When the news hit and it was 5 miles down from me, given my circumstances and being prone to anxiety I was panicked yesterday morning. But by the afternoon I was ok again and went out and did my normal life stuff. Will keep an eye on the news, but not gonna let it stop my life.

Still got the flu  :yuck

Or is the corona  ???

halp  :doge

:'(

Feel better!

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2020, 05:04:25 PM »
somehow i miss the conjecture from earlier in this thread; this shit is slowly becoming legit scary

archnemesis

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2020, 07:34:33 AM »
Corona virus real-time map: https://arcg.is/0fHmTX

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2020, 01:00:26 PM »

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2020, 01:52:20 PM »
Work just banned all travel to China :doge

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2020, 02:05:20 PM »
Two coughing Chinese people got on my train. Nice knowing you guys!

« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2020, 02:05:42 PM »
Plus side: the super busy giant Chinese grocery store near my house is completely dead.  It’s usually a shit show, but was in and out in minutes.  Everything in stock too and they usually have trouble keeping up.

People really that scared I guess.

I go there pretty regularly, good cheap produce and all the awesome soy sauce brands. Was curious how it was doing right now.
野球

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2020, 02:48:58 PM »
Two coughing Chinese people got on my train. Nice knowing you guys!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2020, 02:56:21 PM »
I ain't scared.
dog

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2020, 04:50:44 PM »
Major news outlets sure are doing a great fucking job with their "SOMETHING SOMETHING NEW DEADLY VIRUS SOMETHING" headlines.

Yes, it's a """new""" virus. Yes, there are thousands of reported cases. With deaths now in the three digits range.

That's in China. With its population of 1.4B. Over about a month.

Should this be carefully monitored? Yes, of course.
Are the "OMG DEADLY VIRUS SO SCARY" headlines warranted? Fuck off.

Remember, the good old seasonal flu infects tens of millions of people worldwide each year.
Severe cases are still in the millions.
It kills hundreds of thousands of people every year.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2020, 02:53:56 AM »
The number of coronavirus cases in China have now topped that of SARS.
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2020, 10:39:12 AM »
Was reading this AM that this differs from SARS in that it is contagious in the incubation stage.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WilliamYang120/status/1221364556011692032

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2020, 10:45:16 AM »
Don't worry guys it's just like the flu
https://twitter.com/business/status/1222423461383024640

https://twitter.com/siobhanheanue/status/1222466180364898304

If safety precautions were taken with the flu, tons of people would probably be alive too :lol

There is no value in being terrified of getting sick and dying. Take care of yourself and keep clean. If you plan on surfing on Chinese phlegm and snot, then yes, be terrified.

Being a type 1 Diabetic, I'm more likely to have complications if I get sick. I can also accidentally take too much insulin before going to sleep and potentially die Everytime I go to bed. Life is about stuff in and out of our control guys.
OH!

Raist

« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2020, 10:58:30 AM »

Governments and companies taking preventive measures.

HO NO WE ALL DOOMED  :gddr5 :gddr5 :gddr5

FUCK OOOFFFFFF.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2020, 11:14:30 AM »

FUCK OOOFFFFFF.

I dunno, from random videos I’ve seen they’re saying that within China the number of people infected are far higher than the stats they’re giving out, yes companies are right to stop going there, but I generally think that the amount of dead and infected are far higher than advertised.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2020, 11:23:09 AM »
I mean the flu is also a wildly contagious virus that is transmittable within incubation period. I think it's funny how there are people freaking about this that don't get a flu shot.  :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2020, 11:30:15 AM »
I got a flu shot and I still got the flu.
But that's because I'm asthmatic and it merely makes me less sick.

"If you don't get a flu shot, it's your own fault if you get sick" - Vladimir Putin to his cabinet late 2019
🤴

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2020, 12:14:55 PM »
:9

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2020, 06:57:12 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2020, 07:21:48 PM »
🤴

Occam

« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2020, 07:46:01 PM »
Hilarious. Reminder:
After Trump cut its budget by $1.4 billion (20%) in 2018, the CDC reduced its efforts to prevent global disease outbreak by 80%.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2018/02/01/cdc-to-cut-by-80-percent-efforts-to-prevent-global-disease-outbreak/

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2020, 08:02:16 PM »
oof

Leadbelly

« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2020, 08:35:33 PM »
I mean the flu is also a wildly contagious virus that is transmittable within incubation period. I think it's funny how there are people freaking about this that don't get a flu shot.  :lol

It's almost like this virus has a higher mortality and hospitalization rate or something.

Not necessarily. It depends on the strain of flu. Obviously some strains have a much higher mortality than others. Currently the coronavirus sits at around 3%, which isn't insignificant, but isn't particularly high either. And what you will probably find, which is also typical of the flu, is a large percentage of the deaths would have been people above the age of 40 and probably an underlying condition with a weakened immune system.

The other thing is, because it's a new virus, it is difficult to treat. And so people who are already vulnerable have a much higher chance of dying from it

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2020, 09:29:52 PM »
Hilarious. Reminder:
After Trump cut its budget by $1.4 billion (20%) in 2018, the CDC reduced its efforts to prevent global disease outbreak by 80%.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2018/02/01/cdc-to-cut-by-80-percent-efforts-to-prevent-global-disease-outbreak/

You'd think a hypochondriac would choose to uphold the one institution that would be a use to them but I forget the "fuck you got mine" mentality is inherently myopic.
:9

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2020, 09:59:21 PM »
Not necessarily. It depends on the strain of flu. Obviously some strains have a much higher mortality than others. Currently the coronavirus sits at around 3%, which isn't insignificant, but isn't particularly high either. And what you will probably find, which is also typical of the flu, is a large percentage of the deaths would have been people above the age of 40 and probably an underlying condition with a weakened immune system.

The other thing is, because it's a new virus, it is difficult to treat. And so people who are already vulnerable have a much higher chance of dying from it

the seasonal flu has a mortality rate of tenth of a percentage while the 1918 pandemic is estimated to be at about 2.5%...

shosta

« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2020, 10:00:31 PM »
I had an extra bad bout of asthma in the library and people got up and left.

:fbm
每天生气

Bebpo

« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2020, 10:44:40 PM »
I mean if you wanna get on that new Star Wars ride, here’s your chance.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2020, 11:50:12 PM »
the seasonal flu has a mortality rate of tenth of a percentage while the 1918 pandemic is estimated to be at about 2.5%...

I had always heard the spanish flu was way worse. A lazy google says 10-20%, wiki says:
Mortality
Around the globe

The difference between the influenza mortality age-distributions of the 1918 epidemic and normal epidemics – deaths per 100,000 persons in each age group, United States, for the interpandemic years 1911–1917 (dashed line) and the pandemic year 1918 (solid line)[39]

Three pandemic waves: weekly combined influenza and pneumonia mortality, United Kingdom, 1918–1919[40]
The global mortality rate from the 1918–1919 pandemic is not known, but an estimated 10% to 20% of those who were infected died. With about a third of the world population infected, this case-fatality ratio means 3% to 6% of the entire global population died.[2] Influenza may have killed as many as 25 million people in its first 25 weeks. Older estimates say it killed 40–50 million people,[3] while current estimates put the death toll at probably 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million.[41][5] These estimates would correspond to three to five percent of Earth's human population at the time.[42]

This flu killed more people in 24 weeks than HIV/AIDS killed in 24 years.[43] However, the Black Death killed a much higher percentage of the world's then smaller population.[44]

The disease killed in every area of the globe. As many as 17 million people died in India, about 5% of the population.[45] The death toll in India's British-ruled districts was 13.88 million.[46]

In Japan, 23 million people were affected, with at least 390,000 reported deaths.[47] In the Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia), 1.5 million were assumed to have died among 30 million inhabitants.[48] In Tahiti, 13% of the population died during one month. Similarly, in Samoa 22% of the population of 38,000 died within two months.[49]

In New Zealand, the flu killed an estimated 6,400 Europeans and 2,500 indigenous Maori in six weeks. [50] Dr. Geoffrey Rice has found that Maori died at eight times the rate of Europeans.[51]

In Iran, the mortality was very high: according to an estimate, between 902,400 and 2,431,000, or 8% to 22% of the total population died.[52]

In the U.S., about 28% of the population became infected, and 500,000 to 675,000 died.[53] Native American tribes were particularly hard hit. In the Four Corners area, there were 3,293 registered deaths among Native Americans.[54] Entire Inuit and Alaskan Native village communities died in Alaska.[55] In Canada, 50,000 died.[56] In Brazil, 300,000 died, including president Rodrigues Alves.[57] In Britain, as many as 250,000 died; in France, more than 400,000.[58]

In Ghana, the influenza epidemic killed at least 100,000 people.[59] Tafari Makonnen (the future Haile Selassie, Emperor of Ethiopia) was one of the first Ethiopians who contracted influenza but survived.[60][61] Many of his subjects did not; estimates for fatalities in the capital city, Addis Ababa, range from 5,000 to 10,000, or higher.[62] In British Somaliland, one official estimated that 7% of the native population died.[63]

This huge death toll resulted from an extremely high infection rate of up to 50% and the extreme severity of the symptoms, suspected to be caused by cytokine storms.[3] Symptoms in 1918 were so unusual that initially influenza was misdiagnosed as dengue, cholera, or typhoid. One observer wrote, "One of the most striking of the complications was hemorrhage from mucous membranes, especially from the nose, stomach, and intestine. Bleeding from the ears and petechial hemorrhages in the skin also occurred".[41] The majority of deaths were from bacterial pneumonia,[64][65] a common secondary infection associated with influenza. The virus also killed people directly by causing massive hemorrhages and edema in the lung.[65]

The unusually severe disease killed up to 20% of those infected, as opposed to the usual flu epidemic mortality rate of 0.1%.[2][41]

Wiki, so grain of salt, but seems way worse. While scary on a base level, not worth freaking out over. Yet, anyway.

There isn't really any telling the damage a similar strain would cause today, it's kind of interesting to wonder about how advances in modern medicine would offset the ease of global travel, etc..

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck

Fifstar

« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2020, 03:40:06 AM »

FUCK OOOFFFFFF.

I dunno, from random videos I’ve seen they’re saying that within China the number of people infected are far higher than the stats they’re giving out, yes companies are right to stop going there, but I generally think that the amount of dead and infected are far higher than advertised.

Probably true. Still, the yearly worldwide death toll for the flu is more than 500.000. That's still a far cry from any reported number for the coronavirus. Obviously way to soon for assess the danger of this new virus, just to put into perspective how many people (mainly high risk people) die from everyday illness.
Gulp

Fifstar

« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2020, 03:57:27 AM »
i used nih/cdc as my source:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16494711?dopt=Abstract
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/12/1/05-0979_article

This makes no sense, probably a typo. The article itself states that about 500 million people were infected and that about 50 million to 100 hundred million died. Basic math says that's a case fatality rate of 10-20%. 2,5% might be the global risk for any person living at that time on earth.

See this blog article

https://rybicki.blog/2018/04/11/1918-influenza-pandemic-case-fatality-rate/

So yeah, the coronoavirus as of today has a case fatality of 2,1%, a factor of 5 to 10 lower than the spanish flu.
Gulp

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2020, 04:04:56 AM »
i'd be very surprised if the deathtoll ends up triple digits

:notlikethis

Ghoul

« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2020, 04:52:00 AM »
i'd be very surprised if the deathtoll ends up triple digits

:notlikethis

Holding you accountable for all the deaths now.

Raist

« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2020, 09:56:21 AM »
Comparing mortality rates at such an early stage of the outbreak is utterly pointless, brehs.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2020, 10:17:43 AM »
filler did you make this?

Mollys Fruity Loops

« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2020, 10:52:20 AM »
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.26.919985v1

Single-cell RNA expression profiling of ACE2, the putative receptor of Wuhan 2019-nCov

Posted January 26, 2020

Abstract

A novel coronavirus (2019-nCov) was identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China in December of 2019.

This new coronavirus has resulted in thousands of cases of lethal disease in China, with additional patients being identified in a rapidly growing number internationally.

2019-nCov was reported to share the same receptor, Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), with SARS-Cov.

Here based on the public database and the state-of-the-art single-cell RNA-Seq technique, we analyzed the ACE2 RNA expression profile in the normal human lungs.

The result indicates that the ACE2 virus receptor expression is concentrated in a small population of type II alveolar cells (AT2).

Surprisingly, we found that this population of ACE2-expressing AT2 also highly expressed many other genes that positively regulating viral reproduction and transmission.

A comparison between eight individual samples demonstrated that the Asian male one has an extremely large number of ACE2-expressing cells in the lung.

This study provides a biological background for the epidemic investigation of the 2019-nCov infection disease, and could be informative for future anti-ACE2 therapeutic strategy development.

A virus that infects asian males?

RESIS

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2020, 11:21:55 AM »
Has a single non-Asian person been infected?
:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2020, 12:36:53 PM »
Secret recording of the source of the infection
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2020, 01:16:11 PM »

Raist

« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2020, 01:17:33 PM »

Have you heard of that guy, Charles Darwin? He wrote a pretty good book a couple hundred years ago.

shosta

« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2020, 01:24:38 PM »
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Mollys Fruity Loops

« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2020, 04:43:17 PM »

Have you heard of that guy, Charles Darwin? He wrote a pretty good book a couple hundred years ago.

Besides mutations Ethnic Bioweapons are also a thing.

RESIS

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2020, 04:58:51 PM »
Secret recording of the source of the infection
(Image removed from quote.)

Actually, Steve Pieczenik was on Alex Jones saying that he treated (he's not a MD that I know of) the first patient, a man in contact with a Chinese acquaintance, of the Wuhan virus a month ago before any report. And that man... was himself. (That's literally how he told it.)

Pieczenik has been on a severe streak of delusions lately, worse than usual, claiming he ordered the US Armed Forces Chief of Staff to send 3000 soldiers to get Ebola under control during the last outbreak, that he was privy to Rabin's assassination plot and that he advised the Pope on how to undermine the Soviet Union.

ὕβρις

Raist

« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2020, 04:59:17 PM »
:picard

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2020, 06:16:28 PM »
It is now officially a global public health emergency
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1223007243311951873

Number of cases confirmed by China growing rapidly.
https://twitter.com/ceostroff/status/1223016602314203136
🤴

Mollys Fruity Loops

« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2020, 06:32:29 PM »

Besides mutations Ethnic Bioweapons are also a thing.

On the Origins of the 2019-nCoV Virus, Wuhan, China

James Lyons-Weiler, PhD – 1/30/2020

RECOMBINATION technology has been in use in molecular virology since the 1980’s. The structure of the 2019-NCoV virus genome provides a very strong clue on the likely origin of the virus.

Unlike other related coronaviruses, the 2019-nCoV virus has a unique sequence about 1,378 bp (nucleotide base pairs) long that is not found in related coronaviruses.

Video interview @23min on the above article
RESIS