Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1084275 times)

Tasty

Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #5340 on: April 04, 2020, 09:50:13 PM »
My fear is by the time we get a vaccine it'll have mutated into something else and we'll start this whole thing all over again.

And my biggest fear is that keeps happening indefinitely. But I guess humans will just have to cope.

Kids 10 years from now "Whoah, you actually went outside for *most* of the day?? Not 30 mins?? What was that like?"

"Well back then we had these things called jobs that required us to leave the house."

"Whoooooaaaaahhhh"

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5341 on: April 04, 2020, 09:58:59 PM »
My fear is by the time we get a vaccine it'll have mutated into something else and we'll start this whole thing all over again.

And my biggest fear is that keeps happening indefinitely. But I guess humans will just have to cope.

Kids 10 years from now "Whoah, you actually went outside for *most* of the day?? Not 30 mins?? What was that like?"

"Well back then we had these things called jobs that required us to leave the house."

"Whoooooaaaaahhhh"

Don't worry, mutation or not, there'll be other pandemics!

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #5342 on: April 04, 2020, 10:00:34 PM »
we'll be alright

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #5343 on: April 04, 2020, 10:06:19 PM »
do i shave the rona beard or keep going

When work finally drags me back, I’m sure it will be with short notice, and I plan to look as much like a hermit as possible
WDW

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5344 on: April 04, 2020, 10:13:49 PM »

"Whoooooaaaaahhhh"

the flu mutates every year, that's why there is a new vaccine for it every year
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #5345 on: April 04, 2020, 10:19:46 PM »

"Whoooooaaaaahhhh"

the flu mutates every year, that's why there is a new vaccine for it every year

Yeah but the vaccine is shit. Imagine if the flu was straight up replaced with COVID-19 every year going forward. World looks like a totally different place IMO.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Tasty

« Reply #5347 on: April 04, 2020, 10:20:55 PM »
Or maybe the world just becomes OK with over-50s dying Logan's Run style. Who knows!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5348 on: April 04, 2020, 10:24:44 PM »
By all accounts Corona is not changing very fast.  But we never got a vaccine for SARS 1 so we might not even need to worry about the vaccine being outdated.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #5350 on: April 04, 2020, 10:43:15 PM »
Went out for a walk with my girlfriend - we kept our distance from each other but so many groups of people, families and friends and such, walking so close together. A couple definitely got within less than 6 feet of us :-\
^_^

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #5351 on: April 04, 2020, 10:54:07 PM »
By all accounts Corona is not changing very fast.  But we never got a vaccine for SARS 1 so we might not even need to worry about the vaccine being outdated.

I don't get this vaccine hope. I thought making a vaccine for a virus was pretty much impossible.

If not, why do we still have HIV, herpes, the common cold etc etc etc
:O

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5352 on: April 04, 2020, 10:59:45 PM »
I thought making a vaccine for a virus was pretty much impossible.

what do you think the mmr vaccine is?

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #5353 on: April 04, 2020, 11:01:47 PM »
Most vaccines are for viruses I think. The first vaccine was for smallpox.
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #5354 on: April 04, 2020, 11:08:35 PM »
If not, why do we still have HIV, herpes, the common cold etc etc etc
You have to find a way to deliver it. The vaccine has to induce an immune response. The antibodies have to persist long enough to prevent an infection. There are a lot of factors that make vaccine production specific to the type and morphology of pathogen.

To eradicate a virus the virus has to mutate infrequently enough that you can vaccinate against it before the next strain develops. Zoonotic illnesses tend to come back because animals are reservoirs for the illness that persist between outbreaks.
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5355 on: April 04, 2020, 11:16:48 PM »
James is right, you can’t vaccinate a virus and Trump only has days to live.
©@©™

Occam

« Reply #5356 on: April 04, 2020, 11:16:57 PM »

You mean, except for almost every vaccine ever?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 11:25:21 PM by Occam »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5357 on: April 04, 2020, 11:21:30 PM »
James is right in that the number of successful vaccines we have is much much smaller than the number of vaccinations we have tried. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5359 on: April 04, 2020, 11:24:36 PM »
Also, Mark Cuban is narrowly elected president over Mike Pence after everyone over the age of 60 dies and 10,000 votes are cast during the general election.
©@©™

james

« Reply #5360 on: April 04, 2020, 11:25:31 PM »

You mean, except for every vaccine ever?

Tetanus, tuberculosis and many other diseases you get vaccines for are bacterial infections

Anti bacterials, of course, are common and effective

Chicken pox apparently has a vaccine now, but when we were kids we had chicken pox parties

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Tripon

Occam

« Reply #5363 on: April 04, 2020, 11:43:52 PM »

Tetanus, tuberculosis and many other diseases you get vaccines for are bacterial infections

Chicken pox apparently has a vaccine now, but when we were kids we had chicken pox parties
Should have said most. And a chicken pox vaccine has existed for 25 years.

https://www.vaccines.gov/basics/types

Most of the diseases listed are viral.
    Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR combined vaccine)
    Rotavirus
    Smallpox
    Chickenpox
    Yellow fever
    Hepatitis A
    Flu (shot only)
    Polio (shot only)
    Rabies
    Hib (Haemophilus influenzae type b) disease
    Hepatitis B
    HPV (Human papillomavirus)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 11:53:03 PM by Occam »

shosta

« Reply #5364 on: April 04, 2020, 11:45:20 PM »
James is 40
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5365 on: April 04, 2020, 11:52:11 PM »
Point is that most viral diseases do not have working vaccinations despite years of effort.  Most people think a vaccine will be 14 months off because we have human trials now, but it's also very possible it never comes.  Like we have been working for decades fo vaccines for malaria, hiv etc.  We just got one for ebola after how long?  And we never got one for SARS 1 which is the closest relative of this.  The idea that a year from now we just take a shot and fixes this thing is rather improbable.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 12:00:36 AM by Madrun Badrun »

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #5366 on: April 05, 2020, 12:00:00 AM »
Counterpoint, many viral illnesses don't directly threaten 1st world capital so intensely to engage a herculean counter.

Yes, I do believe I read an excerpt of something observing mutation bases of various samples and the extrapolated time for serious mutation was significantly greater than standard flu strains.
Of course, this is all subject to change.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Tripon

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #5369 on: April 05, 2020, 12:33:46 AM »
There are quite a few turning points ahead, things could change considerably for better, or for worse.
Examples.

Some Chinese people will have been recovered for possibly 4 months soon, big target for analysis.
Good: Antibodies persist for majority and immunity too
Bad: Immunity expires quick-ish

Loads of treatments rushing along in testing
Good: Some work to some extent
Bad: They do not work

Unknown case quantity
Good: Larger than expected indicated mortality and hospitalization rates overshot
Bad: Mortality rates and hospitalization rates not overshot by much if at all

The path forward has much variety, from the best path to the many middling to the horrible worst of all cases scenario.
Multiple good results bodes well for, well, everyone and everything. Multiple bads means a long hell ahead.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #5370 on: April 05, 2020, 12:34:40 AM »
What timeline we are on, we shall soon surmise likely this month. All that can be done is hope or pray.

james

« Reply #5371 on: April 05, 2020, 12:35:56 AM »

Should have said most. And a chicken pox vaccine has existed for 25 years.

Not when I was in grade school.

Counterpoint, many viral illnesses don't directly threaten 1st world capital so intensely to engage a herculean counter.

There are two medical issues that seriously affect the richest and most famous in society:

Male pattern baldness, and herpes (cold sores).

You can guarantee that endless funding goes into solving these problems because all the rich famous people would pay handsomely.

And yet here we are.

Clinical trials for a herpes vaccine that looked so promising in 2017 have fizzled.

Two companies have announced they are no longer actively pursuing a herpes vaccine after results from their clinical trials.

A third company in the midst of clinical trials outside the United States has become embroiled in a federal investigation.

In June of 2018, executives at Vical Incorporated announced the phase II clinical trial for their herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) did not meet “its primary endpoint.”

“We are extremely disappointed with the outcome and based upon these results, we will be terminating the HSV-2 program,” said Vijay Samant, president and chief executive officer for Vical, in a press release. “We are indebted to our patients for their participation and our investigators for their steadfast support.”

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/herpes-vaccine-treatment#1

And while the average rich person doesnt care about malaria or Dengue, hasn't Bill Gates spent like 7 trillion dollars on malaria research?

Some puzzles just can't be solved.

Of course, if you want eternal hope, just become a Nintendo fan. I'm sure we will have a new Pilotwings, Metroid, and Advance Wars games this holiday season!

shosta

« Reply #5372 on: April 05, 2020, 12:38:26 AM »
I think forsythia will be a big game changer
每天生气

bluemax

« Reply #5373 on: April 05, 2020, 12:40:07 AM »
James is right, you can’t vaccinate a virus and Trump only has days to live.

So Star Citizen only has 90 days, tops?
NO

Tasty

« Reply #5374 on: April 05, 2020, 12:40:12 AM »
There are quite a few turning points ahead, things could change considerably for better, or for worse.
Examples.

Some Chinese people will have been recovered for possibly 4 months soon, big target for analysis.
Good: Antibodies persist for majority and immunity too
Bad: Immunity expires quick-ish

Loads of treatments rushing along in testing
Good: Some work to some extent
Bad: They do not work

Unknown case quantity
Good: Larger than expected indicated mortality and hospitalization rates overshot
Bad: Mortality rates and hospitalization rates not overshot by much if at all

The path forward has much variety, from the best path to the many middling to the horrible worst of all cases scenario.
Multiple good results bodes well for, well, everyone and everything. Multiple bads means a long hell ahead.

Great post.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5375 on: April 05, 2020, 02:19:39 AM »

Leadbelly

« Reply #5376 on: April 05, 2020, 02:28:38 AM »
I haven't been in quarantine, but I have violated lock down many times over. lol

And it's fucking weird man, because there are cameras everywhere, and the cameras move. I never took much notice of them before, but now I can see them moving around looking at shit. It feels like City 17. It's so surreal. If I go out more than once, I start wondering if the people watching the cameras are getting suspicious of me. So now I am thinking of a route that will avoid the cameras.

nudemacusers

« Reply #5377 on: April 05, 2020, 04:46:06 AM »
https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Releases/Release/Article/2125725/overseas-stop-movement-order-in-response-to-covid-19/

I see this is public now; imma be stuck away from my family for another 3 months minimum.  :-\
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

BisMarckie

« Reply #5378 on: April 05, 2020, 06:22:09 AM »
Only things I couldn’t find were hydrogen peroxide and isopropyl alcohol

You can also disenfect your hands with cheap vodka and on top of that have a sip or two. :playa

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #5379 on: April 05, 2020, 06:28:46 AM »
Mutations aren't this magic thing that will suddenly make a virus super lethal, completely resistant to vaccines, etc.

In any case, coronaviruses' replication system has very high fidelity (compared to many other RNA viruses) so there's that. All the sequencing data so far has shown that it's very stable.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #5380 on: April 05, 2020, 06:58:12 AM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5381 on: April 05, 2020, 07:08:06 AM »
I think we will be living with on and off lockdowns for the foreseeable future unless they find a cure that people can use at home and prevents hospitalization.
At some point new infections will be rare but the chances to completely eradicate this virus are small given that it is global and highly contagious.

Flying will be less accessible for most of the population, airlines won't be able to confine a lot of people in small places and move them overseas.
You'll probably get tested weeks before each flight and then again if you board. In some of the hardest hit countries masks will be common.
We'll see stuff like the iMask to make it 'fashionable'. Shaking hands will not be a 'thing' people do anymore, physical contact will be reduced to a minimum.
Any sort of 'contact' sports or professions will be highly regulated going forward.

It'll be like 9/11, when everything changed after. The post corona-world will be much different.
Less globalization, less human contact and more digital and virtual interactions plus even more automation.
The grand bargain will be that in exchange for less freedom the governments will more strictly regulate healthcare and the economy, protecting income, jobs and welfare.

All sorts of new jobs will appear to deal with unemployment. Like how the GDPR introduced a data officer businesses, stores and government buildings will now require
a hygiene officer to keep everything clean and sanitized. Larger corporations will require their own healthcare, testing and disinfection teams.

Open office spaces will probably be less common, with shields between work spaces or back to more separate offices.

People will adapt to this new way of living but it'll be weird for us to remember 'the good old days'.

It'll be more authoritarian with certain groups in society not willing to adapt or change (think large religious gatherings, illegal parties, youth loitering about etc.) hit the hardest.
This is already happening right now by the way.

The government will incentivize people to move closer to their work or families to reduce travel.
As people and businesses realize there's not much benefit in living in crowded cities as space in bars, restaurant and at events is limited they will more spread out to different places.
Public transport other than trains and planes with far less seats will be a thing of the past but cars will require mandatory disinfection.

Also the internet, video games, apps and VR will boom like never before. As will movies but those will depend even more on green screen effects.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 07:15:30 AM by Nintex »
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5382 on: April 05, 2020, 07:15:23 AM »
Sure.
I'll settle for a Vietnamese sandwich and the prospect to fuck.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5383 on: April 05, 2020, 07:48:23 AM »
Numbers are a few days old, but this Spiegel articles say that Germany had conducted 900k+ tests in late March, with 7% returning positive. It's not necessarily representative for a number of reasons (the article has a few, on top of the obvious), but I would cautiously think it's more evidence that we won't discover that a majority of the population got it yet and we're conveniently and already over that hump.

https://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/medizin/corona-wie-viele-tests-sind-negativ-a-130acc46-b203-4c2d-845e-0594d1dbf87a

The Reddit thread also has good bits.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/fuvyx0/germany_has_performed_a_million_tests_so_far_93/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 08:50:05 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

BisMarckie

« Reply #5384 on: April 05, 2020, 08:40:15 AM »
The city of Munich (roughly 1,5 million people) wants to do random antibody tests. A true random sample would help to estimate the number of people who are asymptomatic or already contacted the virus without ever noticing it.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5385 on: April 05, 2020, 08:58:24 AM »

Pennywise

« Reply #5387 on: April 05, 2020, 09:06:40 AM »
Numbers are a few days old, but this Spiegel articles say that Germany had conducted 900k+ tests in late March, with 7% returning positive. It's not necessarily representative for a number of reasons (the article has a few, on top of the obvious), but I would cautiously think it's more evidence that we won't discover that a majority of the population got it yet and we're conveniently and already over that hump.

https://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/medizin/corona-wie-viele-tests-sind-negativ-a-130acc46-b203-4c2d-845e-0594d1dbf87a

The Reddit thread also has good bits.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/fuvyx0/germany_has_performed_a_million_tests_so_far_93/

Problem in some cases seems to be that some cases got a negative test, but a test with the tracheal secretion showing a positive test later on.
Good thing is that doctors will give you a sick note either way.

Tasty

« Reply #5389 on: April 05, 2020, 09:48:51 AM »
https://twitter.com/robyndoolittle/status/1246781967934328832

I feel like this was never not going to be the case.

Religious people: "This is important"

Non-religious people: "No it isn't"

Politicians: "We don't want to piss them off"

I guess this qualifies as news but not sure why anyone is surprised...

Occam

« Reply #5390 on: April 05, 2020, 10:05:48 AM »
https://twitter.com/robyndoolittle/status/1246781967934328832

I feel like this was never not going to be the case.

Insane people: "This is important"

Sane people: "No it isn't"

Politicians: "We don't want to piss them off"

I guess this qualifies as news but not sure why anyone is surprised...

Fixed.

Tripon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5392 on: April 05, 2020, 11:22:00 AM »
US at 650 deaths and its not even noon. 

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5393 on: April 05, 2020, 11:33:49 AM »
Japan distributing two masks per households...

https://twitter.com/tHeYelLowMOnRey/status/1245388855982743553

:dead
But most Western governments cannot even do that so...
ὕβρις

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #5394 on: April 05, 2020, 12:03:58 PM »
Can you please give a link?
que

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #5396 on: April 05, 2020, 12:11:57 PM »
Japan distributing two masks per households...

https://twitter.com/tHeYelLowMOnRey/status/1245388855982743553

:dead
But most Western governments cannot even do that so...

The cat being on the female side. :lol

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5397 on: April 05, 2020, 12:13:07 PM »
"Only" 525 died in Italy last 24 hours. It's the first time since March 19 that they reported less than 600 dead for the day.
New cases stable at over 4k+.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 12:22:16 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5398 on: April 05, 2020, 12:15:32 PM »
WFH people, how often do you go out for groceries? I try to keep it at less than once per 2 weeks, but i'm tempted to go more than that when some superficial shit runs dry.  :doge

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5399 on: April 05, 2020, 12:18:03 PM »

The "good" news is that 594 of that is from New York state, and they seem to report their numbers early in the day (not sure if it covers the previous calendar day, or a 24-hour period that overlaps) so that particular number won't go up for the day (and is lower than yesterday's figure).