Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1089240 times)

bluemax

Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #7860 on: May 13, 2020, 09:05:48 PM »
I'm either gonna die from the Rona or Rona rage violence.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 09:34:52 PM by bluemax »
NO

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #7862 on: May 13, 2020, 11:06:40 PM »
https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1260711375237722115

Spain had a lot of COVID-19 cases so this puts the nail in the coffin of herd immunity  :doge

Madrid alone had 65k cases on a population of about 6 million.
Which means that 11%, 1 in 10 or about 600k people have the antibodies.

Spain in total has a population of about 50 million people, of which about 2.5 million have antibodies if the 5% is accurate.
The idea that certain scientists had that in the UK for example about 60% of the populace would already be immune has gone right out the window.
Mortality rate lines up with NYC’s numbers (around 1.2%).

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7864 on: May 13, 2020, 11:29:03 PM »
Texas just had its worst day so far in terms of new cases. :goty
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #7866 on: May 14, 2020, 08:18:48 AM »
untold levels of freshness :lol

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #7867 on: May 14, 2020, 08:20:11 AM »
Whoop whoop :tocry
(ice)

Tripon

Tripon

Tripon

« Reply #7870 on: May 14, 2020, 11:02:06 AM »
The Whites are at it again.jpg

https://www.yahoo.com/news/open-immediately-wisconsinites-head-bars-115226028.html

After the Wisconsin Supreme Court struck down the state's stay-at-home order, which immediately lifted restrictions on businesses and gatherings, some bars opened their doors (and taps) Wednesday night as patrons began trickling out.

The ruling applied to Gov. Tony Evers' statewide order to lock down Wisconsin amid the public health emergency of the coronavirus pandemic. Evers intended to keep the order in place until May 26. However, localities are still imposing and extending their own stay-at-home orders, meaning not all businesses in the state may immediately open.

Photos showed small gatherings of Wisconsinites out at bars and restaurants shortly after the ruling came down, while some establishments posted on social media they were staying closed.

What bars in Wisconsin were like Wednesday night
More than a dozen people had flocked to State Street Pub in Green Bay by 7 p.m. Wednesday. Owner Tera Hansen chose to open as soon as she could, and people started dropping in without any kind of announcement on social media.

At Lenny's Tap, about a mile and a half away, four employees wearing masks served about 20 patrons who stopped by for a drink. Owner Marty Leonhard said the bar's beer distributor had already delivered two shipments by 8 p.m.

Nick's, a bar in Platteville, posted a photo and video on Twitter of two dozen or so patrons at the bar.

https://twitter.com/nicksonsec/status/1260746591918608386

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
jon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7872 on: May 14, 2020, 01:31:41 PM »

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #7873 on: May 14, 2020, 01:52:50 PM »
how did NZ deal with this so well...

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #7874 on: May 14, 2020, 01:54:35 PM »
it's an island
每天生气

Tripon

« Reply #7875 on: May 14, 2020, 01:56:14 PM »
SHEPHERD, Texas — When Jamie Williams decided to reopen her East Texas tattoo studio last week in defiance of the state’s coronavirus restrictions, she asked Philip Archibald for help. He showed up with his dog Zeus, his friends and his AR-15 semi-automatic rifle.

Archibald established an armed perimeter in the parking lot outside Crash-N-Burn Tattoo, secured by five men with military-style rifles, tactical shotguns, camouflage vests and walkie-talkies. One of them already had a large tattoo of his own. “We the People,” it said.

“I think it should be a business’s right if they want to close or open,” said Archibald, a 29-year-old online fitness trainer from the Dallas area who lately has made it his personal mission to help Texas business owners challenge government orders to keep their doors shut during the coronavirus pandemic. “What is coming to arrest a person who is opening their business according to their constitutional rights? That’s confrontation.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/businesses-chafing-under-covid-19-121824076.html

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #7876 on: May 14, 2020, 02:08:39 PM »
it's an island

then explain UK? Holy fuck Brazil, India and Mexico..... But mainly US.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7877 on: May 14, 2020, 02:11:26 PM »
It's an island run by competent people and not next to europe. 

shosta

« Reply #7878 on: May 14, 2020, 02:11:38 PM »
The UK had an explicit policy of letting as many people get infected as they can as quickly as possible
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #7879 on: May 14, 2020, 02:14:25 PM »
Even dense Taiwan handled it well (because they were reading the Chinese version of 4chan and freaked out early). If you don't already have an outbreak and you can really control your cross border travel, you can prevent one.
每天生气

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #7880 on: May 14, 2020, 02:21:29 PM »
Can Canada just invade us already? I'm ready for the Tim Hortons revolution.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #7881 on: May 14, 2020, 02:22:37 PM »
The equivalent state (in terms to population density) to NZ is Maine.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7882 on: May 14, 2020, 02:25:40 PM »
Can Canada just invade us already? I'm ready for the Tim Hortons revolution.

We aren't actually doing that good (unless you exclude Quebec, then we are doing OKish)

shosta

« Reply #7883 on: May 14, 2020, 02:26:04 PM »
Stufte, did your daughter recover? How'd the rest of your family avoid catching it?
每天生气

shosta

每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7885 on: May 14, 2020, 02:47:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure he is right at the US being at 100K deaths now.  I'm pretty sure reporting is not all accurate.  Do all states report care home deaths?  Also, I read that Flordia doesn't report covid deaths unless there is an actual test done, even when the symptoms are clearly covid.   

And the sad thing was that the lockdown was working. 

shosta

« Reply #7886 on: May 14, 2020, 02:52:16 PM »
That number comes from the excess deaths research and eliminates a lot of the guesswork.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7887 on: May 14, 2020, 03:01:21 PM »
Grand re-opening, grand closing.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #7888 on: May 14, 2020, 03:08:30 PM »
KN95’s we’re supposed to wear at my job when interacting with clients don’t fit well enough on my face, leading to my nose frequently being exposed if I ever move my jaw from a close-mouthed position.  :-\

Tripon

« Reply #7889 on: May 14, 2020, 03:12:44 PM »
KN95’s we’re supposed to wear at my job when interacting with clients don’t fit well enough on my face, leading to my nose frequently being exposed if I ever move my jaw from a close-mouthed position.  :-\

Check if it's made by a company that's FDA approved. The FDA did a clean up recently because so many companies were claiming their masks were KN95s when in reality, they were blocking as low as 35% particulates which would be lower than a regular cloth mask.

Bebpo

« Reply #7890 on: May 14, 2020, 03:58:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/_parisimone/status/1260766954413076487

I feel like this whole pandemic is just giving comedy/satire writers the perfect script for the next zombie movie.

Zombie invasion? Hey the bars are open let's all go out and hang there.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yes, I know Shaun of the Dead sorta did this already
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7891 on: May 14, 2020, 04:00:09 PM »
We go to the Winchester grab a pint and wait for all this to blow over.

I hear big Al's got a shotgun behind the bar.
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7892 on: May 14, 2020, 04:10:51 PM »
Favorite part was 2 of the 3 employees shown with their mask on their chins.

If other people are not willing to protect you from them why would you protect them from yourself?

Tripon

« Reply #7893 on: May 14, 2020, 04:24:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1261013685641908232

I don't think Trump understand his low poll numbers are because people think he's doing a bad job, not that people blame him that coronavirus exists.

Tripon

Occam

« Reply #7895 on: May 14, 2020, 06:14:52 PM »
I legit don't think he understands that you aren't safe forever if you test negative. He seems genuinely baffled that someone could be negative one day and positive the next day and blames it on testing because he doesn't understand any of it.

It's almost like he is a moron.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #7896 on: May 14, 2020, 06:18:44 PM »
Stufte, did your daughter recover? How'd the rest of your family avoid catching it?

I got it soon after she did. I tested positive, but my wife and youngest either avoided it or were asymptomatic. We are all fine now, except that my voice is still gone from all the coughing.

Occam

« Reply #7897 on: May 14, 2020, 06:23:43 PM »
Was your sense of taste/smell gone completely? How long did it take to come back?

Tripon

« Reply #7898 on: May 14, 2020, 06:26:37 PM »
no bore members dyin' of the cabrona :rejoice

James.  :fbm

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7899 on: May 14, 2020, 06:48:01 PM »

shosta

« Reply #7900 on: May 14, 2020, 07:13:23 PM »
Was your sense of taste/smell gone completely? How long did it take to come back?
yeah, stufte, did you lose your ability to taste the dick you suck while you were sick? And if so, did that lessen the experience for you, or did it make it more tolerable?
每天生气

stufte

« Reply #7901 on: May 14, 2020, 10:11:52 PM »
No I never lost my sense of smell, and I can still taste the full oaky flavor of the schlongs.

Tripon

« Reply #7902 on: May 14, 2020, 11:31:19 PM »
A patient battling COVID-19 in Florida admits that he used to believe the pandemic was being blown out of proportion. But, after he and his wife were hospitalized with serious infections, he’s urging people to take coronavirus seriously.

“I don’t want to see anybody go through what I went through,” Brian Lee Hitchens, a ride-share driver in Jupiter, Florida, told WPTV-TV in West Palm Beach in an interview from his hospital bed. “This wasn’t some scare tactic that anybody was using. It wasn’t some made-up thing. This is a real virus that you’ve got to take serious.”

Just last month, Hitchens said he was skeptical about coronavirus and didn’t think the crisis was real.

“I thought it was maybe the government trying something, and it was kind of like they threw it out there to kinda distract us,” he told the TV station.

“I’d get up in the morning and pray and trust in God for his protection, and I’d just leave it at that. There were all these masks and gloves. I thought it looks like a hysteria,” he added.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/florida-man-brian-hitchens-coronavirus-warning-001955197.html

Tripon

« Reply #7903 on: May 15, 2020, 01:16:17 AM »

Occam

« Reply #7904 on: May 15, 2020, 01:40:57 AM »
Respiratory droplets created during ordinary conversation can hang in the air for up to 14 minutes, a study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences found. That may help explain how asymptomatic people can infect others.
https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/05/12/2006874117

Outside of your home, masks should be mandatory everywhere.

Bebpo

« Reply #7905 on: May 15, 2020, 02:55:55 AM »
Respiratory droplets created during ordinary conversation can hang in the air for up to 14 minutes, a study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences found. That may help explain how asymptomatic people can infect others.
https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/05/12/2006874117

Outside of your home, masks should be mandatory everywhere.

Well that would be incredibly bad.

Occam

« Reply #7906 on: May 15, 2020, 03:49:28 AM »
Why? It would prevent most new infections.
Those countries where everyone is wearing masks while outside have the lowest infection rates. This isn't exactly a shocking revelation.

Bebpo

« Reply #7907 on: May 15, 2020, 04:03:38 AM »
No, I meant if this thing was airborne for 14 mins whenever anyone talked. Past studies had said it wasn't airborne at all outside of the 3 hour thing when aerosol'd in labs.

If it's airborne then basically the world is even more fucked.

Ghoul

« Reply #7908 on: May 15, 2020, 04:04:05 AM »
A patient battling COVID-19 in Florida admits that he used to believe the pandemic was being blown out of proportion. But, after he and his wife were hospitalized with serious infections, he’s urging people to take coronavirus seriously.

“I don’t want to see anybody go through what I went through,” Brian Lee Hitchens, a ride-share driver in Jupiter, Florida, told WPTV-TV in West Palm Beach in an interview from his hospital bed. “This wasn’t some scare tactic that anybody was using. It wasn’t some made-up thing. This is a real virus that you’ve got to take serious.”

Just last month, Hitchens said he was skeptical about coronavirus and didn’t think the crisis was real.

“I thought it was maybe the government trying something, and it was kind of like they threw it out there to kinda distract us,” he told the TV station.

“I’d get up in the morning and pray and trust in God for his protection, and I’d just leave it at that. There were all these masks and gloves. I thought it looks like a hysteria,” he added.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/florida-man-brian-hitchens-coronavirus-warning-001955197.html

(Image removed from quote.)

Damn Violent J got hit pretty hard huh? lol.

Ghoul

« Reply #7910 on: May 15, 2020, 09:47:28 AM »
:rejoice

Tripon

Ghoul

« Reply #7912 on: May 15, 2020, 10:11:04 AM »
Posted that in late stage, pretty dark tbh.

Leadbelly

« Reply #7913 on: May 15, 2020, 11:03:48 AM »

I'm hoping the mortality rate isn't as high as his estimate. It will be a real problem if or when the second wave comes.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #7914 on: May 15, 2020, 11:15:32 AM »
second wave  :nope

:ohyeah

Leadbelly

« Reply #7915 on: May 15, 2020, 11:19:34 AM »
The UK had an explicit policy of letting as many people get infected as they can as quickly as possible

I will point out actually. This isn't true. The UK had a mitigation strategy. The purpose was not 'herd immunity' this was a miscommunication. Herd immunity was a side-effect of the mitigation strategy. One believed to be beneficial in the long run.

Sweden has a very similar strategy as the UK originally had.

BisMarckie

« Reply #7916 on: May 15, 2020, 11:31:09 AM »

Tripon

« Reply #7917 on: May 15, 2020, 11:45:57 AM »

I will point out actually. This isn't true. The UK had a mitigation strategy. The purpose was not 'herd immunity' this was a miscommunication. Herd immunity was a side-effect of the mitigation strategy. One believed to be beneficial in the long run.

https://twitter.com/BBCr4today/status/1238390547783528448

March 13th.

Leadbelly

« Reply #7918 on: May 15, 2020, 11:59:48 AM »

https://twitter.com/BBCr4today/status/1238390547783528448

March 13th.

It's not playing for some reason, but I get the point by the caption. What do you think you are hearing in this?

'Reduce the peak' is the key point. The UK had a mitigation strategy not a policy to let as many people get infected as quickly as possible. That was not the purpose of the strategy. The purpose of the strategy was to mitigate the effects of the virus. To try and control the amount of people infected by the virus and to protect the most vulnerable. The consequence was a lot more people over time would be infected, which they believed would be beneficial in the long run. I will mention that they did clarify this a number of times. The purpose wasn't to let the virus loose through the population.

And the reason they did a u-turn on it was because of Neil Ferguson's model that modelled a mitigation strategy, a suppression strategy and no strategy. His model showed that a mitigation strategy might cost 250,000 lives and no strategy at all would cost 500,000 lives.

I will also mention actually, as I have already done a number of times already, early on in fact. It didn't come from Boris Johnson, no matter how much of a buffoon you think he is, it came from the scientific advisers. In much the same way, Sweden's strategy didn't come from the Swedish politicians, it came from the scientific advisers.

Ghoul