Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1062195 times)

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Please scream inside your heart
« Reply #13260 on: January 12, 2021, 02:10:38 PM »
Pure naval gazing speculation here but it’s scary how this is lining up similarly to the Spanish Flu. A more contagious mutation in its second year that could potentially send deaths soaring.

No one could have possibly predicted this!
:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13261 on: January 12, 2021, 02:16:59 PM »
Also they kept saying everyone younger than 21 had nothing to worry about and now it turns out infection rates are soaring among younger people.

Again nobody could've predicted that.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13262 on: January 12, 2021, 02:40:52 PM »
🤴

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #13263 on: January 12, 2021, 03:48:01 PM »
Got my first vaccine today. It was easily the least painful injection I've ever gotten. It barely registers at all, but one of the more immediate muscle pain injections I've gotten in recent memory. No other symptoms or anything yet, just a sore as hell arm.
que

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13265 on: January 12, 2021, 04:47:02 PM »
:(

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #13266 on: January 12, 2021, 05:13:08 PM »
so how much worse can things get, feels like I've been reading about things being on the precipice of collapse for months 

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #13267 on: January 12, 2021, 05:27:20 PM »
so how much worse can things get, feels like I've been reading about things being on the precipice of collapse for months
We have been on the precipice. At least here. We've been between 85-97% capacity regularly. We're close anything further goes wrong and we're in a bad spot. Current projections are that we'll be here til about April where, hopefully, it'll start going down again.
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13268 on: January 12, 2021, 05:27:47 PM »
Seeing the modelling of the UK variant today actually scared me and I think I haven't really been worried about the future since like April.  I wish Canada could be doing the amount of vaccinations the US is doing right now. 

Bebpo

« Reply #13269 on: January 12, 2021, 05:32:17 PM »
I've seen so many obituaries for friends of friends and family friends in the last week or two in So Cal it's crazy & scary af. Three deaths this week. One was a family friend in their late 60s w/cancer, another was the daughter of a family friend in her 40s who had a stroke and then died of blood poisoning, another was a friend who runs a ramen restaurant's co-worker who had a heart attack at 25 while sick with covid.

fuck.

Bebpo

« Reply #13270 on: January 12, 2021, 05:35:38 PM »
Also the county health website for my county is very informative about groups currently vaccinating and ETA for upcoming groups. It has February down as ETA for my group (16-64 with health issues) and my parents group (65-74). I don't know how accurate it is given all the news about the terribly slow rollout that sucks everywhere, but I'm hoping they know how they're getting their info from and I can really get a first shot vaccine by the end of February and be vaccinated by the end of March.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #13271 on: January 12, 2021, 05:49:11 PM »
Got my first vaccine today. It was easily the least painful injection I've ever gotten. It barely registers at all, but one of the more immediate muscle pain injections I've gotten in recent memory. No other symptoms or anything yet, just a sore as hell arm.

Mine took like 3 days to stop hurting.
rub

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #13272 on: January 12, 2021, 06:15:10 PM »
I've seen so many obituaries for friends of friends and family friends in the last week or two in So Cal it's crazy & scary af. Three deaths this week. One was a family friend in their late 60s w/cancer, another was the daughter of a family friend in her 40s who had a stroke and then died of blood poisoning, another was a friend who runs a ramen restaurant's co-worker who had a heart attack at 25 while sick with covid.

fuck.

Didn't you post earlier, like a while back, about people in your circle being of the plandemic variety? Gotta be infuriating to see things unfold there.

Bebpo

« Reply #13273 on: January 12, 2021, 09:29:22 PM »
I mean that's all of So Cal in general.

But yeah friends in my circle who are 20-35 are still gathering in small gatherings without masks every few weeks and putting up photos on social media. None of them have officially gotten Covid, but wouldn't be surprised if some of them were asymptomatic and got it at some point.

Bebpo

« Reply #13274 on: January 12, 2021, 11:44:44 PM »
Actually nm on the grouping for vaccines. CA and OC changed their policy and are immediately vaccinating anyone 65 and over starting tomorrow? So my parents might get in pretty soon.

No change for the 16-64 w/health conditions group yet though. Which is fine.

Also I was looking on the news and saw fear mongering stuff about the new mutation in south africa that is everywhere already that beats some of the antibodies created by vaccines -_- Definitely a little worried about this. Was hoping that vaccines would be the endgame and the world can move on once enough people are vaccinated. This could fuck up things immensely.

james

« Reply #13275 on: January 13, 2021, 01:26:33 AM »
New death record

+4,281

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13276 on: January 13, 2021, 03:26:13 PM »
Oh god, our head of disease control issued another statement after his previous zingers such as 'Masks are completely useless' and 'people party in small groups' as well as 'care workers are poorly educated thus increasing the spread'.

He now says kids aren't in any danger and schools can just re-open.  :doge
🤴

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #13277 on: January 13, 2021, 05:05:43 PM »
CEO of Moderna says Covid will become endemic. :(

james

« Reply #13278 on: January 13, 2021, 05:40:15 PM »

Fuckers probably made the vaccine on purpose to require an annual booster.

$$$$$

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #13279 on: January 13, 2021, 05:48:22 PM »
I'd say it already is.
que

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13280 on: January 13, 2021, 07:04:38 PM »

Fuckers probably made the vaccine on purpose to require an annual booster.

$$$$$

No, he means it'll be endemic because of all the morons who are refusing to get the vaccine because they're stupid.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13281 on: January 14, 2021, 12:34:23 AM »

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #13282 on: January 14, 2021, 02:23:07 AM »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #13283 on: January 14, 2021, 04:26:20 AM »
robin olsen is me
the ball is the vaccine
the yellow shirt cunt is old people

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #13284 on: January 14, 2021, 04:34:37 AM »
Enjoy your autism   ::)
Margs

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #13285 on: January 14, 2021, 04:35:34 AM »
Maybe it can cancel the old autism out

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #13286 on: January 14, 2021, 11:39:12 AM »

Mine took like 3 days to stop hurting.
You were right. Today is my third day and my arm is feeling almost back to 100% normal.
que

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #13287 on: January 14, 2021, 04:20:02 PM »
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1349661144798081028
“Two groups of people, one with no evidence of previous infection and the other with evidence of past infection. It concluded that past infection reduces the chances of catching the virus again by 83% for *at least five months*."

james

« Reply #13288 on: January 14, 2021, 05:42:53 PM »
So I still have to get the fucking shot?

I thought the one upside of getting it was no needles

:( :( :( :( :(

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #13289 on: January 14, 2021, 05:44:37 PM »
Maybe it can cancel the old autism out

unfortunately you have to get 2 shots so you end up back where you started

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #13290 on: January 14, 2021, 05:48:19 PM »
hit 2 million death globally on world o meter

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13291 on: January 14, 2021, 06:13:30 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13292 on: January 14, 2021, 07:30:46 PM »

🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13293 on: January 14, 2021, 07:45:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1349661144798081028
“Two groups of people, one with no evidence of previous infection and the other with evidence of past infection. It concluded that past infection reduces the chances of catching the virus again by 83% for *at least five months*."

Gotta get me that vaccine in the next two months before my immunity runs out.
dog

james

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13295 on: January 14, 2021, 08:03:52 PM »

:wut

Happy COVID WHO tweet day everyone
https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 08:09:13 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #13296 on: January 14, 2021, 10:25:33 PM »
Well done WHO, you bunch of fucking wankers.

How's that investigation into the origins of COVID going? Oh, the Chinese government is being belligerent and obstructive to your efforts? Not like that was predictable...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 10:33:01 PM by Potato »
Spud

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #13297 on: January 14, 2021, 11:26:04 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
 :wut

There was a good new yorker article a few weeks ago about all the mistakes the us made.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/01/04/the-plague-year

Turns out the person who took it most seriously was a guy Flynn nominated :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13298 on: January 15, 2021, 12:16:23 PM »

How's that investigation into the origins of COVID going? Oh, the Chinese government is being belligerent and obstructive to your efforts? Not like that was predictable...
A few days ago the first Dutch researcher arrived there and within 24 hours she said that it probably didn't originate from China while she barely had set foot in Wuhan.

On todays episode of how it is going. We have 99 problems but a government, vaccine and competent health minister ain't one  :heh
Germany expected to enact stricter measures, all of France now under a 18:00 PM curfew.

I could understand if this thing hit this year out of the blue but this is the like the 3rd wave and everyone made the same stupid mistakes and prepared poorly.
🤴

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #13299 on: January 15, 2021, 12:18:40 PM »
https://datos.nexos.com.mx/?p=1860

This site claims that, using excess deaths, 0.58% of Mexico City (median age of the city is 29) has died of COVID.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #13300 on: January 15, 2021, 04:50:18 PM »
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-16/deaths-from-respiratory-illnesses-lower-than-usual-amid-covid-19/13041324

Australian 'excess' deaths lower than expected, despite coronavirus pandemic

"In 2020 when the initial wave of the pandemic hit, we had an increase in the number of deaths and the increase was sustained only for around a month," ABS health and mortality statistics director James Eynstone-Hinkins said.

"After that, what we've actually seen is a lower number of deaths through the winter months pretty much right the way through until October, which is the latest data that we have now.

"What we can see is that the causes that have the lowest numbers of deaths in comparison to previous years are mostly in the respiratory disease group so that can include chronic lower respiratory diseases, things like influenza and pneumonia.

"It certainly points to a lack of transmission perhaps of some normal infectious diseases during the winter months that may have contributed to a lower-than-expected number of deaths during that period."
Spud

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #13301 on: January 15, 2021, 05:33:10 PM »
https://twitter.com/BillHanage/status/1349943613514526723

edit:
There is a claim that there have already been 1,223 excess deaths in Manaus through the first 13 days of 2021, with the rate increasing. There were 198 deaths alone on the 13th (the city normally averages 30 deaths a day).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14pFmeIlL8F9_1T9Rpe5lG6gtR5LQsbed/view

Assuming no rise in the rate of deaths, which is not the case, the city that was estimated to have near herd immunity (~70%) is on pace to lose over 0.1% of the population in just one month (only 2-3% of the population over 70). 

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 05:54:18 PM by Flannel Boy »

james

« Reply #13302 on: January 15, 2021, 06:04:39 PM »
Manaus is in the middle of the rainforest

Corona probably merged with Dengue and Ebola

Biff

« Reply #13303 on: January 15, 2021, 09:54:03 PM »

A few days ago the first Dutch researcher arrived there and within 24 hours she said that it probably didn't originate from China while she barely had set foot in Wuhan.

Whaaaat - I haven't seen this anywhere. Link me my guy

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13304 on: January 16, 2021, 06:06:11 AM »

Whaaaat - I haven't seen this anywhere. Link me my guy
https://www.trouw.nl/binnenland/marion-koopmans-aangekomen-in-china-het-is-mogelijk-dat-de-oorsprong-van-de-pandemie-niet-in-wuhan-ligt~b018a765/

Having been part of trade missions Eric de Vlieger and Yves Gijrath explained how this works in their podcast.
They arrive in China, they are welcomed by their friendly guides who put them in luxury hotels and watch over them 24/7.

They meet, go out to dinner, talk, do some sightseeing and whenever they get close to where they need to be...
"Sorry, the market is closed today, maybe we can come back tommorow how about we visit the hospital instead?"

These type of things depend on the openess of the host country and the Dutch have a terrible record on these sorts of trips, most recently the investigation into flight MH17 which uncovered nothing.
China has a lot of influence over the WHO. They're going to find nothing except for some friendly people sharing their experiences. These doctors and researchers aren't the type of people who will press for more access to upend the table.

She's there for 1 month with the WHO team and currently they're working from their hotel room in quarantine for the next 2 weeks. That leaves about a week or 2 for any (field) research.

On the question of access she says:
"We'll see. For the last couple of weeks we've put together a detailed action plan in cooperation with our Chinese colleagues."
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 06:13:53 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #13305 on: January 16, 2021, 06:34:25 AM »
It's a fucking farce. The Chinese have already spent the past 12 months seeding the idea that the pandemic started elsewhere and that rhetoric has ramped up in the last couple of months.

Since the Australian government called for an independent investigation in April 2020, China has instituted a bunch of bullshit trade disputes and has used it's propaganda arm to apply other political pressure.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-14/who-team-lands-in-china-for-covid-19-probe-what-happens-next/13054840

But China is very much in control of this international inquiry.

It repeatedly put off the WHO's requests for visits last year and even further delayed this month's arrival of the 10-member expert team by a week.

As for the investigation itself, it is Chinese scientists doing the on-the-ground fieldwork in Wuhan, with the 10 visiting experts primarily analysing and evaluating it.

And if you're wondering why we haven't heard much about the virus from Chinese scientists since it was first detected there in late December 2019, it's likely because of the tight restrictions Xi Jinping's government placed on publishing research about it.

An Associated Press investigation in late December revealed approval from a cabinet-level taskforce was needed in China to publish research related to the virus.

One can only hope the past year of unpublished studies from Wuhan are being saved for the WHO experts.

It's a tight deadline and already those involved in the investigation are playing down expectations.

"We expect after this mission we'll have better questions," spokeswoman for the WHO, Margaret Harris, told ABC Radio National.

"This will clarify where we need to go with the next bits of the study but don't expect to have magic answers after this particular part of the fieldwork."

Beijing's state news agency Xinhua last year published a sanitised timeline of China's response to the outbreak, free from any of the early missteps and cover-ups that unwittingly helped the virus spread.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13306 on: January 16, 2021, 06:42:26 AM »
China is doing what China does but what angers me more is that this investigation is legitimized by the WHO.
They should go on the record that research on the origins can't be done because China destroyed all the evidence and killed and imprisoned those trying to pubilsh reports that showed the virus came from there.
Then put up a list of demands that China has to agree on if they want actual independent research done.

But they'll never do that and just join Xi's theater, the Cowards.
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #13307 on: January 16, 2021, 07:11:42 AM »
They should rename themselves as the World Gates Organisation imo :tinfoil
(ice)

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #13308 on: January 16, 2021, 08:06:50 AM »

"I don't want none of yer fancy medcine Margret, now go get the President like I told you"

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #13311 on: January 16, 2021, 05:01:15 PM »
They should rename themselves as the World Gates Organisation imo :tinfoil

WGO get the vaccine!
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13313 on: January 17, 2021, 01:05:42 PM »

Our daily vaccination rate is going down  :wut
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #13314 on: January 18, 2021, 06:59:00 AM »
:piss :pimp :piss2
(ice)

Flannel Boy

• Icon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13317 on: January 18, 2021, 11:44:47 AM »
Ontario's new cases seem to be declining, ICU numbers are still climbing though. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13318 on: January 18, 2021, 12:37:05 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/18/us/california-crematoriums-limit-suspension-coronavirus/index.html

Air quality regulator temporarily suspends cremation limits for LA County amid 'backlog' from pandemic

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13319 on: January 18, 2021, 01:18:57 PM »
Welp sounds like we're getting a curfew later this week  :fbm
🤴