Author Topic: Apple Removes Fortnite from the App Store  (Read 15118 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Re: Apple Removes Fortnite from the App Store
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2020, 04:25:53 PM »
Hoping this escalates further and causes the death of the walled garden. It is ridiculous to buy any hardware and not be able to choose what software runs on it.

Same with ps4/xbox?
What

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2020, 04:30:32 PM »
Hoping this escalates further and causes the death of the walled garden. It is ridiculous to buy any hardware and not be able to choose what software runs on it.

So you don't buy a console, then?

The Walled Garden is fine. The issue is Apple mandating everything going through their store for purchases. Which is where the issue for Epic is.

Thing is: It's a good thing in comparison to Google Play and it's malware app problems.

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1295434558112960519

>Epig thinking they can get their 88/12 cut for Winnie the Pooh
>Apple slaps their ass down hard because 70/30 is standard across the board

NEVER EVER Timmy Tencent.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2020, 04:42:47 PM »

Same with ps4/xbox?

Yes.
dog

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2020, 04:57:40 PM »
Tim Sweeney is a hypocritical dipshit, but holy fuck at this Apple assholery move.
Pull a game from their storefront and revoke their entire fucking companys unrelated developer accounts, which presumably they were fucking paying for?

How the fuck isn't that - at the bare minimum - tortuous interference?
Like, this is an 1980s MS level of fuckery. Arguably even stronger.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2020, 05:30:51 PM »
it's fkn hilarious people are lapping up the spin like this is some activist statement. it's just a bid to get a sweetheart deal, increase their margins and tim can get a nice lil' bonus. fuck all these guys
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2020, 05:33:51 PM »

Same with ps4/xbox?

Yes.

:lol

say goodbye to consoles then. the profit around having a walled garden is the single reason they exist
◕‿◕

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2020, 05:50:45 PM »
I mean I'm pro custom firmware in relation to electronic devices but I understand why it would be against the rules of the products
What

naff

« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2020, 06:20:14 PM »
I mean I'm pro custom firmware in relation to electronic devices but I understand why it would be against the rules of the products

same. but the incentive for the corp making these devices is creating vendor lock-in for their ecosystem. i could see m$ opening up xbox a little with a cut down version of windows that only allows software installation from the windows store or completely sandboxes itself in a vm so you don't get proper hardware access, but they're going to fight 'til the wheels fall off to monopolize their segments as much as possible.
◕‿◕

nudemacusers

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2020, 06:46:37 PM »
lol apple don't curr about fortnite.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/15/21292203/apple-app-store-ios-apps-billings-revenue-517-billion-2019-antitrust-regulation
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2020, 07:17:24 PM »

Same with ps4/xbox?

Yeah of course. They've been using basically the same hardware architecture since 2013, there's no reason for any software to be locked off to just one console.

That's actually where I want it the most. Why shouldn't everyone be able to have Steam on Xbox or Game Pass on Playstation? Presumably, the software would become cheaper while the hardware would become more expensive since it's not subsidized by the software sales. Overall, it should increase competition in terms of price and quality though.

Do you think PC gaming would have been better or worse if you had to buy everything through an MS storefront?

The Walled Garden is fine. The issue is Apple mandating everything going through their store for purchases. Which is where the issue for Epic is.

Thing is: It's a good thing in comparison to Google Play and it's malware app problems.

I mean, you can have an app store that only supports certain devices for QA and security reasons. Would the iPhone become worse if it allowed side-loading though?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2020, 07:20:42 PM »
Well that's why PC has traditionally always been the place for those who value options. That's why Apple isn't good for those who value options.

A console is not for someone who wants options.
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2020, 07:36:11 PM »
Tim could've filed his lawsuits and Apple probably would've looked at it or waited for the ruling.

But Tim went scorched earth and prepared a parody of some of Steve Jobs finest work at Apple in order to send 9 year olds after them.
Using minors for a deliberate and prepared marketing ploy will sure improve your position in court.  :lol

Tim really wanted to snatch the 'dumbest corporation award' from Microsoft and EA this year. Holy fucking shit.

The best part about this is that Apple has completely ignored Epic's inaudible screeching and only responds with boring legal statements.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 07:40:31 PM by Nintex »
🤴

naff

« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2020, 07:52:48 PM »
Why shouldn't everyone be able to have Steam on Xbox or Game Pass on Playstation?

uhhhhh :derp
◕‿◕

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2020, 08:02:05 PM »
fuck you naff, don't lasagna-shame me.  :'(

Well that's why PC has traditionally always been the place for those who value options. That's why Apple isn't good for those who value options.

People often have different opinions on what they care about when shopping for stuff. I'm pretty sure if you gave people a choice, they would....make choices.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2020, 08:14:15 PM »
Well thats a whole nother choice in and of itself
What

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2020, 08:38:44 PM »
What is a choice anyway, and are we sure that it’s really a choice :ohhh
(ice)

nudemacusers

« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2020, 09:25:08 PM »
what if we are all an advanced simulation inside a future ipad minigame and each thought is powered by 1 for 1 by a microtransaction point system purchased by a future kid with their future mom's stolen credit card.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

kingv

« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2020, 10:48:35 PM »
I think Apple outlawing shit like stadia or Xbox streaming (and presumably PSNow) is actually worse than the Fortnite thing.

It’s definitely more anti-competitive.

naff

« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2020, 11:01:08 PM »
fuck you naff, don't lasagna-shame me.  :'(

People often have different opinions on what they care about when shopping for stuff. I'm pretty sure if you gave people a choice, they would....make choices.

they do have the choice to not buy it.

talking about distribution, i recognise the importance of closed systems for consumers. i do think apple should enable sideloading, but it's clear why they don't and it does make their systems more secure. personally can't stand the company nowadays, have never owned an iOS device and don't plan to, but what tech companies can you look at these days and have any respect for? i think bandcamp is the only relatively mainstream storefront i could stan for. i always think about using Itch more for games, but i have a billion things already to play in steam, let alone the random sale bundles i've got with Itch.
◕‿◕

thisismyusername

« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2020, 12:13:51 AM »

I mean, you can have an app store that only supports certain devices for QA and security reasons. Would the iPhone become worse if it allowed side-loading though?

You missed the last part of my quote which answers your question. The Play Store is notoriously bad with Malware apps on it. Partially because Google doesn't lock it's shit down as well as it should.

Sideloading means those apps proliferate on APKPure/etc. pirating sites. It's the same issue with PC and people downloading shit that they shouldn't from untrustworthy sites. The difference between Google and Apple is that Apple locks. that. shit. down. completely. You can't "jailbreak," but at the cost of knowing that Apple keeps everything under tight control.

Again: A walled garden in theory is not bad: Apple, X-box Live, Playstation Network, etc. protect end-users that don't know better from getting Malware (generally).

Nerds like me and you? Yeah, it sucks. But we're the minority.

Frankly, I'm all for Apple keeping their shit tight if it means supporting their shit is much easier on me in a consumer and enterprise way. As much as I hate the "Apple way of doing" shit, I will give them props that their end-user experience is generally solid enough to where I'm not called on Apple support often.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2020, 03:32:11 AM »
i would maybe have been more sympathetic to App Store policy in say 2013 but it's 2020 and computers are getting boring, let's go fuck with some app sandboxes.
QED

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2020, 05:21:24 AM »
Tim Cook is fucking ruthless  :lol
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2020, 06:39:20 AM »
is google being as punitive as apple?

Fifstar

« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2020, 07:35:30 AM »
Well Google allows it to circumvent the Playstore. I guess their strategy is to play hard when it comes play store revenue share but otherwise to pretend to be the good guy here.
Gulp

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2020, 11:00:51 AM »
Frankly, I'm all for Apple keeping their shit tight if it means supporting their shit is much easier on me in a consumer and enterprise way. As much as I hate the "Apple way of doing" shit, I will give them props that their end-user experience is generally solid enough to where I'm not called on Apple support often.

"I'm fine with their bullshit because it makes my job slightly easier"  :doge

Well Google allows it to circumvent the Playstore. I guess their strategy is to play hard when it comes play store revenue share but otherwise to pretend to be the good guy here.

The only thing Google mandate is if you're releasing an android phone, you have to include the google suite with it which isn't that big of an ask tbh, either for consumers (who are at the least going to want Youtube, google search and Gmail, even if they don't necessarily want the other stuff) or manufacturers who can still slap their own skins and app equivalents alongside.

Epic just bypassed the Play store entirely because they could, not because Google were trying to block them from not getting their cut. There's literally hundreds of apps on the Play store where the revenue comes from external subscriptions or purchases in exactly the way Apple don't allow.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2020, 12:03:06 PM »
Hoeg Law on YouTube has breakdown videos of the two lawsuits.  The more I listen the more I think these lawsuits don’t survive in court.

thisismyusername

« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2020, 12:54:20 PM »

"I'm fine with their bullshit because it makes my job slightly easier"  :doge

No. More like "I'm fine with their bullshit because their bullshit is good for end users that aren't me."

Apple protecting users from themselves is a good thing. Again: Look at the Google Play store and numerous apps getting through their "Malware check" only for people to install them. Indians installed a "remove Chinese developer" app that was malware, for instance. Google Play removed the app eventually, but it was installed on like a million to two million devices before that.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2020, 01:48:53 PM »
Hoeg Law on YouTube has breakdown videos of the two lawsuits.  The more I listen the more I think these lawsuits don’t survive in court.

Well, without looking too deeply into it Epic's lawsuit seems to come down to "Apple shouldn't be able to kick us off their platform for doing something that their rules expressly forbid us from doing."
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2020, 01:50:17 PM »
Have they tried putting Fortnite on CloutHub?
©@©™

Tuckers Law

« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2020, 02:26:21 PM »

Well, without looking too deeply into it Epic's lawsuit seems to come down to "Apple shouldn't be able to kick us off their platform for doing something that their rules expressly forbid us from doing."

That’s been my initial takeaway as well, but I’m not even a caveman lawyer and have no legal experience on such matters.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2020, 07:55:45 PM »
Apple allows subscriptions and other content purchased outside of the App Store for most types of software, very similar to Google... without Apple getting a cut.  Apple's and Google rules are essentially the same here, the difference is Android allows software installed outside of the Play store.

And Epic ENTIRELY bypassed play store to avoid giving Google their cut, WTF are you talking about?   

In app purchases on Google Play also require you use Goolge's payment systems.. Epic tried getting in without that, and were denied.

They capitulated only a few months ago, likely always planning all along to do the same thing they did on iOS:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52383286#:~:text=Epic%20Games%20has%20released%20Fortnite,cut%20of%20in%2Dgame%20purchases.

And now Google did the same thing, booted Fortnite... because less than 6 months into launching on Play Store they released the version that doesn't use Google Pay lol

That's what I said - Epic released Fortnite outside of the Google play store because they can, because Android allows that.
They eventually went through the Play store because the visibility of doing so offsets the cut Google take.

They weren't blocked as a business from using Android SDKs in the entirety of their products or having access to Android compilers, or getting all their Gmail and Youtube accounts terminated as a result of releasing an APK outside of the Play ecosystem.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2020, 09:48:51 PM »
I said Epic bypassed the store because they could (so as not to give up any moneys), not because they were avoiding being blocked by Google which is... exactly what you just repeated  :doge
Google had nothing to do with their decision to skip paying a cut outside of the abstract "google take a cut". It was a proactive decision, not a reactive one.
Same deal with making their own launcher instead of going through Steam - it was nothing to do with any actions taken by Valve, they just wanted to skip paying out and because they could they did.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2020, 10:21:17 AM »
:confused

"B happened and also A happened, how the fuck does that mean A happened then B happened?"

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2020, 01:30:45 PM »
Tip to self, do not argue with EGS stans on Twitter 😂
What

Tuckers Law

« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2020, 03:09:12 AM »
And Apple does allow paid content in apps on their store, as well as subs, without Apple getting a cut.

I didn’t know about this.  Which apps are the standouts in your mind?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2020, 03:29:11 AM »
And Apple does allow paid content in apps on their store, as well as subs, without Apple getting a cut.

I didn’t know about this.  Which apps are the standouts in your mind?

Netflix
Kindle
Hulu

It’s just not through the app itself. Login with iOS Safari and pay through the website. The main point is that the payment isn’t going through the app itself.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2020, 04:25:23 AM »
Right I get that, I was just reading what Riotous said as there being apps that allow the purchase of paid content both directly in the app and without using Apples in-app purchase system.  Only thing I can think of at the moment that might let you is amazon’s store app, but they still gate you from buying digital music and video.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2020, 12:23:50 PM »
Meanwhile, even though Apple and Google run the exact same policies, you can't use Steamlink and access the steam storefront on an IOS device where you absolutely can on an android device, and install it directly via the play store with no sideloading required.
You can also install Xbox Gamepass and stream games on Android devices, but, again, not on IOS.
Even though as per Riotous-is-always-right there's no difference between the 2 ecosystems or policies or how policies are enforced.

People just have a particular problem with Apple to the extent that they file antitrust lawsuits because they're haterz

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2020, 02:40:24 PM »
it's almost like you are the most obnoxious human being on the planet.

You haven't gathered anything you fucking moron.

It's absolutely pathetic that the bare minimum of fact checking I do here somehow gets me labeled "obnoxious" and I need to "get over myself."

I get it, you guys don't give 2 shits about being lied to, and forming opinions based on lies.

Enjoy being idiots.

You really are the most annoying kind of troll.

Your brain being unable to comprehend the idea of a person becoming rich and not using that money to fuck kids is how I know you are a pedo.

Aslo you play pedo games, but still.

:kermit

If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2020, 12:06:38 PM »
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2020, 01:51:57 PM »
Pathetic clown
What

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2020, 05:40:22 PM »
Hope you enjoyed your free games from Epic store while they lasted.
Hi

Pennywise

thisismyusername

« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2020, 05:50:17 PM »
Hope you enjoyed your free games from Epic store while they lasted.

>People install the ChiCom Spyware launcher
>Timmy does a stupid
>No more free games "officially"
>Still pirate exclusive games like Hitman 3 on the Pirate Bay

Never Ever gonna install your spyware, Timmy Tencent.

nudemacusers

« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2020, 06:54:26 PM »
so i was scrolling quickly through this thread and i'm seeing that tim sweeney is a pedo and went to rape island with epstein and the clintons???????

why isn't games media talking about this  ??? ??? ???
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2020, 07:25:06 PM »

Tuckers Law

« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2020, 08:05:12 PM »
“Forced.”  One could always just not buy those games and instead wait for the inevitable release elsewhere, or maybe devote their time/money to other things.  Lord knows the average working adult has a kings ransom of choices in games these days and likely could never get to playing everything they want.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2020, 08:21:20 PM »
“Forced.”  One could always just not buy those games and instead wait for the inevitable release elsewhere, or maybe devote their time/money to other things.  Lord knows the average working adult has a kings ransom of choices in games these days and likely could never get to playing everything they want.

That doesn't negate the fact you are forced to use their store if you have any intentions of playing these games day one. Regardless of your perception of time and ability to play any games at all

Sure I could play other things. Do I want to play Hitman 3 when it comes out? Yes. Do I want to buy anything from Sweeney cuckold? No.
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2020, 08:21:52 PM »
If Apple chooses instead to take punitive action by blocking consumer access to Fortnite or forthcoming updates, then Epic will, regrettably, be in conflict with Apple on a multitude of fronts - creative, technical, business, and legal - for so long as it takes to bring about change, if necessary for many years.

Apple: Ok  :yeshrug
🤴

Tuckers Law

« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2020, 09:24:04 PM »

That doesn't negate the fact you are forced to use their store if you have any intentions of playing these games day one. Regardless of your perception of time and ability to play any games at all

Sure I could play other things. Do I want to play Hitman 3 when it comes out? Yes. Do I want to buy anything from Sweeney cuckold? No.

I'm no fan at all of the Epic Store and the practices that prop it, and I loathe that detestable shit Sweeney, so don’t get me wrong.  All I’m saying is that nothing is forcing a person to buy any game, it’s only a matter of how badly they want it and want it now.

I would consider it glorious if these lawsuits backfire so badly on Sweeney and Epic that unreal loses a shitload of support among developers and publishers simply because for them it’s not worth dealing with the headaches that come attached.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2020, 10:06:43 AM »
i prefer the epic game store to steam :trumps :patel
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2020, 10:17:00 AM »
No trolling piss benoit
What

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2020, 12:12:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/MrRobRoberts/status/1296916086911246336

Those e-mails  :doge

I don't really get how emailing apple and telling them you're about to do something, then doing it, then making a big public song and dance about it constitutes
Guideline 2.3.1 - Performance
We discovered that your app contains hidden features. Attempting to hide features,functionality or content in your app is considered egregious behavior and can lead to removal from the Apple Developer Program.
Specifically, we found that your app includes an “Epic direct payment” feature, which provides access to external payment mechanisms and enables the purchase of content,services, or functionality by means other than the in-app purchase API
as per the emails filed as evidence

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2020, 01:13:32 PM »
With the way this is going this will end up with Tim Sweeney jumping from a bridge live on Facebook blaming Apple.
🤴

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2020, 02:53:12 PM »
Hi

El Babua

« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2020, 02:57:20 PM »
Go against Apple's lawyers and hand them their defense - as well a possible avenue to countersue - by yourself brehs

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2020, 03:44:35 PM »
Go against Apple's lawyers and hand them their defense - as well a possible avenue to countersue - by yourself brehs

Doubt it's that simple. It seems pretty obvious that they never expected to win any legal battles. It feels like the one goal Epic had in those emails was to get Tim Cook to say "We are your lords beeotch" or something like that which is totally legally okay, but leaves a bad taste in the consumers mouth.

Basically, they know there's no legal argument here but they're paying their lawyers to drag this out for as long as possible so that the consumers and developers can rubberneck the ugliness of Apple, Google, etc having app stores that return an 80% profit margin just to act as the middleman.

The question is will anyone care if they see the app vendors screwing over everybody on both sides?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

nudemacusers

« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2020, 09:55:26 PM »

Doubt it's that simple. It seems pretty obvious that they never expected to win any legal battles. It feels like the one goal Epic had in those emails was to get Tim Cook to say "We are your lords beeotch" or something like that which is totally legally okay, but leaves a bad taste in the consumers mouth.

Basically, they know there's no legal argument here but they're paying their lawyers to drag this out for as long as possible so that the consumers and developers can rubberneck the ugliness of Apple, Google, etc having app stores that return an 80% profit margin just to act as the middleman.

The question is will anyone care if they see the app vendors screwing over everybody on both sides?
well if that was epic's plan, and that's the only plan that lines up with this pointless bluster, then I wonder how myopic their leadership is to think this will matter at all in a few weeks time given apple is about to drop new shiny shit.

what consumers actually give a shit about store fees, as if that is the true unanswered crime of big business capitalism? nobody cares about walmart fucking over small businesses/towns across the US, nobody cares about amazon annihilating competition left and right, and certainly nobody cares about slave labor overseas... you could poll every US iphone user and I'd wager no more than 1% have even heard of this drama. most of the popular lamestreamer mobile games are F2P microtransaction hell anyway, so epic can spare me with the crybaby shit when they charge for costumes and cribbed dance maneuvers :lol
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 07:21:52 AM by Nintex »
🤴